>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

24,201 to 24,250 of 77,106 << first < prev | 480 | 481 | 482 | 483 | 484 | 485 | 486 | 487 | 488 | 489 | 490 | next > last >>

James Jacobs wrote:
Tels wrote:
Kind of a nitpick question, but an Awakened Demilich (Bestiary 3) retains full spell-casting abilities of the Lich. It gains Eschew Materials and Still Spell as bonus feats, but when I look at the prepared spells, none of the spells are prepared as though under Still Spell. Should I just assume it meant that the Awakened Demilich prepares all of his spells as though they were Stilled with no increase in spell level?

What awakened demilich are you looking at? The stats in the Bestiary 3 are not for an awakened demilich... but for a normal one.

An awakened demilich does indeed need to prepare spells as Still Spells (or cast spells with Verbal components only, such as dimension door)... but as of right now, I'm pretty sure we've not published any stats for awakened demiliches... that won't stay that way for long, though...

This one. It's on the PFSRD, not the PRD. I went and double checked the PRD, I guess you guys never actually published stats for an Awakened Demilich, but the guys at the PFSRD went ahead and made one. I should probably find away of letting them know about the error...

Regardless though, my question was answered, thanks!


James Jacobs wrote:
Odraude wrote:
Under the Tarrasque's entry, it says he is immune to permanent wounds. What does that mean?
Vargoille kisses or clay golem slams, for example. Anything that deals permanent or lingering hit point damage.

Would that include Constitution Drain?


James Jacobs wrote:
The Golux wrote:
Have you made Snarks or Boojums monsters for pathfinder yet? Are they Tane, or would they be if you did?
Nope, not yet. We'll see, though... the Tane is a category of monsters we're kinda reserving for really REALLY gnarly and tough monsters.

And the Jubjub Bird (I know, still CR 15). But yeah the Boojum at least was supposed to be pretty fearsome. Not like a Borogove or something.

Unrelated: Do Kytons and Zon-Kuthon have any connection beyond the superficial (Alignment and being really into torture and stuff)? I ask because it occurred to me that Kyton and Kuthon are pretty similar names, and moreso if you know the greek alphabet (Κυθον could be transliterated either way depending on pronunciation, though Κυτον would be definitely kyton but the actual pronunciation would be different between english and greek. And maybe they should end with -ων instead of -ον I dunno).


Hey James, was wondering if you could also answer this. I'm trying to wrap my brain around the CR for Shielseis, Queen of Asps (Classic Horrors Revisited). She is a mummy with 9 levels in Cleric and 2 in Aristocrat. In addition, she is CR 11, with normal mummies as a CR 5. Mummies have the combat role, which means that cleric levels would be non-key until level five. In addition, NPC classes like the Aristocrat are always non-key levels. So knowing that, I tried to rebuild her

CR 5 Mummy
+3 CR (First five cleric levels)
+4 CR (Remaining four cleric levels)
+1 CR (two aristocrat levels)

Adding up to a CR 13, two above what is printed. So my question is, what math am I doing wrong? Thanks.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
Odraude wrote:
Under the Tarrasque's entry, it says he is immune to permanent wounds. What does that mean?
Vargoille kisses or clay golem slams, for example. Anything that deals permanent or lingering hit point damage.

Oh god! Tarrasque Vargoille! AAAAAAARGH!


Can you use the Heal Skill to treat mental illness? (either magically induced by Insanity or otherwise) Rather, can the skill be used to aid in the weekly Will Save that a character makes to recover their mind?
If not, do mental asylums in Golarion actually funtion or are they simply used to research said afflictions and not cure them?

Asylums in Golarion:
Two that I know of are in Ustalav, but I believe I might have glimpsed one or two in other PF lore...

If yes, would it function like an "aid another" check (requiring DC 10)or would the doctor have to beat the illness's DC in order to help?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
LazarX wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
Do you dislike the idea of a full BAB champion of some alignment ideal other than LG, or is it building it off of the chassis of the Paladin?

Not at all... PROVIDED the new class is built fresh and new from the ground up without trying to equal or emulate the paladin.

What do you think of the Champion class Monte Cook created for Arcana Evolved.? Alignment isn't used in that D20 variant so they are more based on causes that range from light, dark, magic, knowledge, nature, race, or even nation, city, etc.
Haven't really looked at much from Arcana Evolved. Mostly because the way it was marketed had a "This book is for those of you who have outgrown boring typical RPG fantasy." I had not outgrown it, and was kind of annoyed by the implication that I was doing things wrong by enjoying a game with classic D&D tropes like 9 spell levels and elves and the like. Also... not a fan of animal-headed PC races.

Well the 9 spell levels (10 actually) are still there, plus an interesting mechanic to adjust a spell's level one up or down for changing it's effects. In many ways it's the classic game but the tropes have been considerably tweaked. If you get past Cook's pretentious advertising, I think you'd find some refreshing changes.

1. The usual role of "ancient guardian race" given to Elves is taken by a race of giants a bit more close to the human norm than the one's you'd find in the Monster Manual.

2. Humans aren't the dominant race, although they come pretty close and are still the highest in number.

3. A trope severely neglected in D+D fantasy, the significance of names is elevated to thematic status.

4. The line between arcane and divine is pretty much blown away as the Lands of the Diamond Throne have a more secular bent, what we'd consider the divine role is given to several flavors of witches and a druidic like greenbond class as well as the Champion. Naming and ritual take up most of the divine vacuum left by the absence of typical clerical types.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Would a Gelatinious Tesseract (Gelatinious Cube from the 4th dimension) be a Mythic creature or just a high level one ?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Draco Bahamut wrote:
Would a Gelatinious Tesseract (Gelatinious Cube from the 4th dimension) be a Mythic creature or just a high level one ?

INJJ, but I'll tell you this: I'm going to homebrew a Displacer Gelatinous Cube right now.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:


In previous editions of the game, your alignment changed when you became a lycanthrope. For better or worse... that's not part of the game in Pathfinder. If you're bitten by a werewolf and become a werewolf... you don't automatically become chaotic evil. Which, in my opinion, is unfortunate, since that's what pretty much EVERY werewolf story I like is about, and the ones I don't like are about folks who don't change in personality.

In any event... all of that is story stuff for the most part, and as such if you're the GM, you get to control the story. And if you don't like part of the rules, you also get to change them.

Have you tried out the Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia, James? I am curious how they fall on your creative sense... especially since they're doing a Hero System Kickstarter campaign book.

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

I know of your dislike for dwarves, but a few questions if I may. Is the following infomation correct or did it change? If it changed, how so?

1) An older Guide PFS (2009) mentioned the Ouat Caste of dwarven monks, with shaved headed and tanned skin, and serve Osiriani mages as body guards. They are sand dwarves that believed the held some of the Pharoahs secret.

2) The Heart of the Jungle (2010) has the Taralu dwarves which migrated to the jungles of the Mwangi Expanse and their former cities are in ruins. They are desert dwarf nomads that travel by night and stay in caves by day.

3) Campaign Setting talks about the tradition of Gladdringgar, carving one's personal rune in stone on the deepest cave or tunnel one has explored.

Misc Dwarf Questions:

4) Do dwarves still exist in Nar-Voth in areas outside of the Inner Sea? Or did the whole race take part of the Quest for Sky?

5) If desert and sand dwarves have not be retconned, what is the difference between the two?

6) Is there a Sky Citadel abandoned by the Taralu dwarves in the Shattered Range of Garund? I know Dongun Hold is nearby in Alkenstar, but I get the impression the Taralu had nothing to do with Dongun Hold and the Shattered Range covers alot of ground.

Thanks again for participating in this epic thread!

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
doc the grey wrote:

How does one calculate the weight of one of the adventurers kits once they start replacing pieces of it with better gear?

For example if I want to replace the back pack with a mwk backpack down the line how does the weight change?

If you're into keeping track of that level of detail for a character, you shouldn't really be taking shortcuts like the adventurer's kits. Buy each component separately and track them separately instead.

The adventurer's kits are meant for folks who aren't that concerned with tracking that level of encumbrance in their games.

Well I had picked it up for my pfs character so I could get all the gear I needed quickly and cheaply and was wanting to upgrade some of the pieces to better gear like a mwk backpack and silk rope and was wondering how that affected the weight as well as once you start using up your expendable items like torches and trail rations.


With 8 days until the end of October, it looks more likely that the catastrophe of the Mythic play test not going out this month will occur. How much does that affect the product schedule for 2013 (especially for Wrath of the Righteous)?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It's okay James if the playtest does not come out, I give you all permission to use the "I'm watching all of the tech stuff coming out this week" excuse. With Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, and T-Mobile all announcing major stuff, they've have plenty of excuse. :)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Tels wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Tels wrote:
Kind of a nitpick question, but an Awakened Demilich (Bestiary 3) retains full spell-casting abilities of the Lich. It gains Eschew Materials and Still Spell as bonus feats, but when I look at the prepared spells, none of the spells are prepared as though under Still Spell. Should I just assume it meant that the Awakened Demilich prepares all of his spells as though they were Stilled with no increase in spell level?

What awakened demilich are you looking at? The stats in the Bestiary 3 are not for an awakened demilich... but for a normal one.

An awakened demilich does indeed need to prepare spells as Still Spells (or cast spells with Verbal components only, such as dimension door)... but as of right now, I'm pretty sure we've not published any stats for awakened demiliches... that won't stay that way for long, though...

This one. It's on the PFSRD, not the PRD. I went and double checked the PRD, I guess you guys never actually published stats for an Awakened Demilich, but the guys at the PFSRD went ahead and made one. I should probably find away of letting them know about the error...

Regardless though, my question was answered, thanks!

Yeah... I'm not sure where those stats came from. Likely someone just wrote them up for that page—we don't actually run that site, so there's stuff in there that isn't "official."

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Odraude wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Odraude wrote:
Under the Tarrasque's entry, it says he is immune to permanent wounds. What does that mean?
Vargoille kisses or clay golem slams, for example. Anything that deals permanent or lingering hit point damage.
Would that include Constitution Drain?

Nope. Although I'd like to some day push that through in errata to add "ability drain" to the list of things that the tarrasque is immune to.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The Golux wrote:
Unrelated: Do Kytons and Zon-Kuthon have any connection beyond the superficial (Alignment and being really into torture and stuff)? I ask because it occurred to me that Kyton and Kuthon are pretty similar names, and moreso if you know the greek alphabet (Κυθον could be transliterated either way depending on pronunciation, though Κυτον would be definitely kyton but the actual pronunciation would be different between english and greek. And maybe they should end with -ων instead of -ον I dunno).

Yes; the faithful of Zon-Kuthon regard kytons as sacred to their religion. The similarity between the names is coincidental, though.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Odraude wrote:

Hey James, was wondering if you could also answer this. I'm trying to wrap my brain around the CR for Shielseis, Queen of Asps (Classic Horrors Revisited). She is a mummy with 9 levels in Cleric and 2 in Aristocrat. In addition, she is CR 11, with normal mummies as a CR 5. Mummies have the combat role, which means that cleric levels would be non-key until level five. In addition, NPC classes like the Aristocrat are always non-key levels. So knowing that, I tried to rebuild her

CR 5 Mummy
+3 CR (First five cleric levels)
+4 CR (Remaining four cleric levels)
+1 CR (two aristocrat levels)

Adding up to a CR 13, two above what is printed. So my question is, what math am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Normal mummies are CR 5. The cleric levels AND the aristocrat levels are non-associated.

Using the strict by-the-rules rundown for how to CR creatures, you have a mummy with 11 non-associated levels. The first 4 count as half, the last 7 count as full. It's weird that, in this case, aristocrat and cleric levels are equally additive to the creature's CR... but that's kinda what's happening.

So: 5 + 2 + 7 = CR 14.

What we did next was compare that CR to Table 1–1 of the Bestiary, and compared the final stat block to other creatures in the book.

At CR 14, we would expect: 200 hp, AC 29, attack bonus of between +17 and +23, average damage between 48 and 65, ability save DCs between 16 and 22, and saving throws between +12 and +16.

Her stats have:
199 hp (CR 14)
AC 26 (CR 11–12)
Attack +21 (CR 12... maybe 13 or 14)
Average damage 14.5 (CR 4!)
Ability save DCs: 16 to 19 (CR 10)
Saving Throws: +13/+7/+20 (CR 17 down to CR 8)

As it turns out, adding cleric and aristocrat levels to a monster really starts spreading the expected numbers around all over the place. So at this point we stepped back a bit further and looked at what this character can actually DO. She's got a lot of hit points and good DR, but in melee isn't really all that impressive. Her primary danger in a fight is her cleric levels, her despair ability, and her mummy rot. Those three factors are on par with a 9th level cleric (CR 8), and a CR 10 monster. Combined with those relatively high hp and DR, she'll be around a bit longer in a battle than on average... and looking at the numbers above as well, CR 11 seemed a good middle ground for this relatively unusual and complex monster.

AKA: CR assignment isn't an exact science. The weirder and more specialized you make a unique monster by adjusting class levels, advancing Hit Dice, picking different feats, and the like, the more important it becomes for you to take a more holistic approach. Use the math to arrive at a starting point for the final creature's CR, but then adjust as makes sense.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rakshaka wrote:

Can you use the Heal Skill to treat mental illness? (either magically induced by Insanity or otherwise) Rather, can the skill be used to aid in the weekly Will Save that a character makes to recover their mind?

If not, do mental asylums in Golarion actually funtion or are they simply used to research said afflictions and not cure them?
** spoiler omitted **
If yes, would it function like an "aid another" check (requiring DC 10)or would the doctor have to beat the illness's DC in order to help?

I would say that you should and could be able to treat mental illness with skill checks, but I wouldn't make it a Heal check. I'd make it Diplomacy or maybe Sense Motive. With a DC equal to the insanity's DC, with a success granting a +4 bonus on the save (similar to how using Heal to treat poison and disease increases the next saving throw by +4).

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:

1. The usual role of "ancient guardian race" given to Elves is taken by a race of giants a bit more close to the human norm than the one's you'd find in the Monster Manual.

2. Humans aren't the dominant race, although they come pretty close and are still the highest in number.

3. A trope severely neglected in D+D fantasy, the significance of names is elevated to thematic status.

4. The line between arcane and divine is pretty much blown away as the Lands of the Diamond Throne have a more secular bent, what we'd consider the divine role is given to several flavors of witches and a druidic like greenbond class as well as the Champion. Naming and ritual take up most of the divine vacuum left by the absence of typical clerical types.

1) Not all that sure I find taking that role away from elves and assigning it to giants really appeals to me.

2) This one ABSOLUTELY doesn't appeal to me. I much MUCH prefer fantasy stories where humanity is the dominant race. And more to the point, fantasy stories where the bulk of the predominant races look pretty human.

3) This is cool. Names are fun!

4) I actually value this difference—I like the fact that the baseline game has two different types of magic.

So... of the four things you listed there, one of them sounds really cool, one of them sounds really terrible, and the other two sound only somewhat offputting to me.

I DO like the fact that there's a good swashbuckler option in the game though.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Draco Bahamut wrote:
Would a Gelatinious Tesseract (Gelatinious Cube from the 4th dimension) be a Mythic creature or just a high level one ?

It, as with any new monster, can be whatever you need it to be.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Where is Mythic? Are you hiding it from us? Must we go on a mythic quest to obtain the rules? Cause I'm totally prepared to slay a Jabberwock outside the Paizo offices if I need to to obtain the rules.

If it's not because we haven't completed a mythic enough quest, what is contributing to the delay? Were you attacked by Legions of shiny leech-men who sparkle in the daylight? Did a pride of Raksashas impersonate James Sutter and make off with the rules in the stealthy dead of midday?

Were you all too distracted by a visitation of He Who Walks In Blood, the Dread Mantis God?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

TetsujinOni wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:


In previous editions of the game, your alignment changed when you became a lycanthrope. For better or worse... that's not part of the game in Pathfinder. If you're bitten by a werewolf and become a werewolf... you don't automatically become chaotic evil. Which, in my opinion, is unfortunate, since that's what pretty much EVERY werewolf story I like is about, and the ones I don't like are about folks who don't change in personality.

In any event... all of that is story stuff for the most part, and as such if you're the GM, you get to control the story. And if you don't like part of the rules, you also get to change them.

Have you tried out the Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia, James? I am curious how they fall on your creative sense... especially since they're doing a Hero System Kickstarter campaign book.

Never heard of it or of Larry Correia.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Thomas LeBlanc wrote:

I know of your dislike for dwarves, but a few questions if I may. Is the following infomation correct or did it change? If it changed, how so?

1) An older Guide PFS (2009) mentioned the Ouat Caste of dwarven monks, with shaved headed and tanned skin, and serve Osiriani mages as body guards. They are sand dwarves that believed the held some of the Pharoahs secret.

2) The Heart of the Jungle (2010) has the Taralu dwarves which migrated to the jungles of the Mwangi Expanse and their former cities are in ruins. They are desert dwarf nomads that travel by night and stay in caves by day.

3) Campaign Setting talks about the tradition of Gladdringgar, carving one's personal rune in stone on the deepest cave or tunnel one has explored.

Misc Dwarf Questions:

4) Do dwarves still exist in Nar-Voth in areas outside of the Inner Sea? Or did the whole race take part of the Quest for Sky?

5) If desert and sand dwarves have not be retconned, what is the difference between the two?

6) Is there a Sky Citadel abandoned by the Taralu dwarves in the Shattered Range of Garund? I know Dongun Hold is nearby in Alkenstar, but I get the impression the Taralu had nothing to do with Dongun Hold and the Shattered Range covers alot of ground.

Thanks again for participating in this epic thread!

1) The name "Ouat Caste" sounds too much like "outcast" to me, and as such I've always been pretty unimpressed with this element. It'll likely continue to get underplayed or ignored in the future.

2) No change there.

3) No change there.

4) Dwarves still exist in Nar-Voth, but not in numbers high enough to be regarded as a primary inhabitant of the race—with the notable exception of duergar, of course. Non-duergar dwarves who still live down there are likely hermits or the like. Although... technically... since Nar-Voth extends all teh way up to the surface, you could say that all dwarves are still denizens of Nar-Voth—they only dwell in the uppermost reaches of this realm.

5) We generally do not have different stats for ethnicities. "Desert dwarves" and "sand dwarves" and "normal dwarves" all have the same stats. The ones who live in the desert likely pick different skills and feats as appropriate for their environment. The closest we'd come to changing that is perhaps offering alternate racial traits.

6) Unrevealed. There are a few sky citadel locations we're keeping secret for now.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

doc the grey wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
doc the grey wrote:

How does one calculate the weight of one of the adventurers kits once they start replacing pieces of it with better gear?

For example if I want to replace the back pack with a mwk backpack down the line how does the weight change?

If you're into keeping track of that level of detail for a character, you shouldn't really be taking shortcuts like the adventurer's kits. Buy each component separately and track them separately instead.

The adventurer's kits are meant for folks who aren't that concerned with tracking that level of encumbrance in their games.

Well I had picked it up for my pfs character so I could get all the gear I needed quickly and cheaply and was wanting to upgrade some of the pieces to better gear like a mwk backpack and silk rope and was wondering how that affected the weight as well as once you start using up your expendable items like torches and trail rations.

I would, in that case, expect you to add up the individual weights of all the components of the kit, and then use THAT total weigh amount instead of whatever the kit claims. If you're going to break apart the parts of a kit to their pieces... you have to treat each individual piece as its own item, in other words.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Lucent wrote:
With 8 days until the end of October, it looks more likely that the catastrophe of the Mythic play test not going out this month will occur. How much does that affect the product schedule for 2013 (especially for Wrath of the Righteous)?

It doesn't affect the release date for these products.

It does affect how much free time and stress I have between now and next Gen Con.

And in a worst case scenario... it just means that Wrath of the Righteous ends up NOT being a mythic Adventure Path and we DON'T support those rules with an Adventure Path. Which would suck. But less so than having no Adventure Path launching at Gen Con.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Rakshaka wrote:

Can you use the Heal Skill to treat mental illness? (either magically induced by Insanity or otherwise) Rather, can the skill be used to aid in the weekly Will Save that a character makes to recover their mind?

If not, do mental asylums in Golarion actually funtion or are they simply used to research said afflictions and not cure them?
** spoiler omitted **
If yes, would it function like an "aid another" check (requiring DC 10)or would the doctor have to beat the illness's DC in order to help?
I would say that you should and could be able to treat mental illness with skill checks, but I wouldn't make it a Heal check. I'd make it Diplomacy or maybe Sense Motive. With a DC equal to the insanity's DC, with a success granting a +4 bonus on the save (similar to how using Heal to treat poison and disease increases the next saving throw by +4).

As a mental health therapist...I disagree about Diplomacy used in this sense. Sense motive certainly, but I honestly think Bluff is the better skill. Seems a bit awkward but if you think about it, therapy is all about convincing the person that they are not abnormal.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

JMD031 wrote:
As a mental health therapist...I disagree about Diplomacy used in this sense. Sense motive certainly, but I honestly think Bluff is the better skill. Seems a bit awkward but if you think about it, therapy is all about convincing the person that they are not abnormal.

And as a game designer, I'd say Sense Motive is the best solution here, because there's already PLENTY of reasons to take ranks in Bluff and in Diplomacy.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

What did Dr Watson do twice as much as Sherlock Holmes?


Let's say "Domina II" (ignore the Harrower screaming about "the returning evil") acquires the Axe of the Dwarvish Lords. She offers it to Janderhoff in exchange for 1) massive urban renewal, 2) arming her military with masterwork and giant-bane equipment, and 3) a lifetime supply of booze for the city. Would the dwarves consider that reasonable?


Kajehase wrote:
What did Dr Watson do twice as much as Sherlock Holmes?

Watching QI?


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
mordion wrote:
Kajehase wrote:
What did Dr Watson do twice as much as Sherlock Holmes?
Watching QI?

I might... *innocent whistle*

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
JMD031 wrote:
As a mental health therapist...I disagree about Diplomacy used in this sense. Sense motive certainly, but I honestly think Bluff is the better skill. Seems a bit awkward but if you think about it, therapy is all about convincing the person that they are not abnormal.
And as a game designer, I'd say Sense Motive is the best solution here, because there's already PLENTY of reasons to take ranks in Bluff and in Diplomacy.

This. Like the idea of having more reasons to pick up ranks in sense motive which does need more things to do. That being said I think you could still do it with heal as it is a skill based around using your wisdom and figuring out how to treat people with what's available.


James Jacobs wrote:
Odraude wrote:

Hey James, was wondering if you could also answer this. I'm trying to wrap my brain around the CR for Shielseis, Queen of Asps (Classic Horrors Revisited). She is a mummy with 9 levels in Cleric and 2 in Aristocrat. In addition, she is CR 11, with normal mummies as a CR 5. Mummies have the combat role, which means that cleric levels would be non-key until level five. In addition, NPC classes like the Aristocrat are always non-key levels. So knowing that, I tried to rebuild her

CR 5 Mummy
+3 CR (First five cleric levels)
+4 CR (Remaining four cleric levels)
+1 CR (two aristocrat levels)

Adding up to a CR 13, two above what is printed. So my question is, what math am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Normal mummies are CR 5. The cleric levels AND the aristocrat levels are non-associated.

Using the strict by-the-rules rundown for how to CR creatures, you have a mummy with 11 non-associated levels. The first 4 count as half, the last 7 count as full. It's weird that, in this case, aristocrat and cleric levels are equally additive to the creature's CR... but that's kinda what's happening.

So: 5 + 2 + 7 = CR 14.

What we did next was compare that CR to Table 1–1 of the Bestiary, and compared the final stat block to other creatures in the book.

At CR 14, we would expect: 200 hp, AC 29, attack bonus of between +17 and +23, average damage between 48 and 65, ability save DCs between 16 and 22, and saving throws between +12 and +16.

Her stats have:
199 hp (CR 14)
AC 26 (CR 11–12)
Attack +21 (CR 12... maybe 13 or 14)
Average damage 14.5 (CR 4!)
Ability save DCs: 16 to 19 (CR 10)
Saving Throws: +13/+7/+20 (CR 17 down to CR 8)

As it turns out, adding cleric and aristocrat levels to a monster really starts spreading the expected numbers around all over the place. So at this point we stepped back a bit further and looked at what this character can actually DO. She's got a lot of hit points and good DR, but in melee isn't really all that impressive. Her primary danger in a fight is her cleric levels, her despair ability, and her mummy rot. Those three factors are on par with a 9th level cleric (CR 8), and a CR 10 monster. Combined with those relatively high hp and DR, she'll be around a bit longer in a battle than on average... and looking at the numbers above as well, CR 11 seemed a good middle ground for this relatively unusual and complex monster.

AKA: CR assignment isn't an exact science. The weirder and more specialized you make a unique monster by adjusting class levels, advancing Hit Dice, picking different feats, and the like, the more important it becomes for you to take a more holistic approach. Use the math to arrive at a starting point for the final creature's CR, but then adjust as makes sense.

Thanks for the help. I'll have to keep this in mind when building my mummy NPC. Was just thinking about making him an oracle that poses as a leper, wearing robes and a mask in the same fashion as Baldwin IV.

I'll definitely have to redo how I make monstrous villains from here on out.


With the Pathfinder Chronicler, Delver, and Savant prestige classes, do you see any room for more Pathfinder prestige classes?


hi james
i was wondering if i have a product that i would like to trade does it break the rules to ask in a fourm, for example hey i live near tacoma and i have a players handbook i would like to trade for a call of cthulhu book?


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Tels wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Tels wrote:
Kind of a nitpick question, but an Awakened Demilich (Bestiary 3) retains full spell-casting abilities of the Lich. It gains Eschew Materials and Still Spell as bonus feats, but when I look at the prepared spells, none of the spells are prepared as though under Still Spell. Should I just assume it meant that the Awakened Demilich prepares all of his spells as though they were Stilled with no increase in spell level?

What awakened demilich are you looking at? The stats in the Bestiary 3 are not for an awakened demilich... but for a normal one.

An awakened demilich does indeed need to prepare spells as Still Spells (or cast spells with Verbal components only, such as dimension door)... but as of right now, I'm pretty sure we've not published any stats for awakened demiliches... that won't stay that way for long, though...

This one. It's on the PFSRD, not the PRD. I went and double checked the PRD, I guess you guys never actually published stats for an Awakened Demilich, but the guys at the PFSRD went ahead and made one. I should probably find away of letting them know about the error...

Regardless though, my question was answered, thanks!

Yeah... I'm not sure where those stats came from. Likely someone just wrote them up for that page—we don't actually run that site, so there's stuff in there that isn't "official."

Awakened Demiliches are from the Bestiary 3 page 67.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

What CR, size, and potentially poison effects would be like for the variant dream spiders from Edge of Anarchy?


James Jacobs wrote:
Lucent wrote:
With 8 days until the end of October, it looks more likely that the catastrophe of the Mythic play test not going out this month will occur. How much does that affect the product schedule for 2013 (especially for Wrath of the Righteous)?

It doesn't affect the release date for these products.

It does affect how much free time and stress I have between now and next Gen Con.

And in a worst case scenario... it just means that Wrath of the Righteous ends up NOT being a mythic Adventure Path and we DON'T support those rules with an Adventure Path. Which would suck. But less so than having no Adventure Path launching at Gen Con.

I really, truly hope that it doesn't require stripping the Mythic out of Wrath of the Righteous. If there's anything the community can do to help out in whatever capacity we can, you know you have a small army of dedicated hobbyists and fans at your disposal :)


Can a Paladin lie to himself, such as not acknowledging internally he does what he does because he is Good, instead thinking it is a result of being Lawful?

How does sundering work when objects are worn under another? Can you sunder a Ring of Feather Falling that is under Gloves of Arrow Snaring (Actual items unimportant)?


James Jacobs wrote:


1) The name "Ouat Caste" sounds too much like "outcast" to me, and as such I've always been pretty unimpressed with this element. It'll likely continue to get underplayed or ignored in the future.

I hope you someday reconsider, the Ouat Caste has been something i am quite fond of Golarion and it's very sad that they are underplayed just because of the name.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
LazarX wrote:

1. The usual role of "ancient guardian race" given to Elves is taken by a race of giants a bit more close to the human norm than the one's you'd find in the Monster Manual.

2. Humans aren't the dominant race, although they come pretty close and are still the highest in number.

3. A trope severely neglected in D+D fantasy, the significance of names is elevated to thematic status.

4. The line between arcane and divine is pretty much blown away as the Lands of the Diamond Throne have a more secular bent, what we'd consider the divine role is given to several flavors of witches and a druidic like greenbond class as well as the Champion. Naming and ritual take up most of the divine vacuum left by the absence of typical clerical types.

1) Not all that sure I find taking that role away from elves and assigning it to giants really appeals to me.

2) This one ABSOLUTELY doesn't appeal to me. I much MUCH prefer fantasy stories where humanity is the dominant race. And more to the point, fantasy stories where the bulk of the predominant races look pretty human.

3) This is cool. Names are fun!

4) I actually value this difference—I like the fact that the baseline game has two different types of magic.

So... of the four things you listed there, one of them sounds really cool, one of them sounds really terrible, and the other two sound only somewhat offputting to me.

I DO like the fact that there's a good swashbuckler option in the game though.

In full disclosure the Giants in AE fall under the "Our Elves Are Different Trope" substituting Giants for Elves. Giants by default start out only somewhat larger than Humans on the order of Lurch or so, evolving to larger status through rituals once they've earned the right to do so. I also like their dual nature of Warrior and Protector and the rituals involved in switching. As far as taking roles away from Elves, Gnomes took the Fey Hat from Elves in Golarion as I recall.

The setting even has it's equivalent of Aroden, a Trinity of Human Gods who were slaughtered by the Dramojh, an abomination created by the Hubris of Dragons who are the main challengers to the Giants for ownership domination of the campaign setting.

But from your reply it does look like you've read the setting, so I'll drop things at this point.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kajehase wrote:
What did Dr Watson do twice as much as Sherlock Holmes?

Ummmmm... not mention his first name?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

AlgaeNymph wrote:
Let's say "Domina II" (ignore the Harrower screaming about "the returning evil") acquires the Axe of the Dwarvish Lords. She offers it to Janderhoff in exchange for 1) massive urban renewal, 2) arming her military with masterwork and giant-bane equipment, and 3) a lifetime supply of booze for the city. Would the dwarves consider that reasonable?

Nope. Janderhoff would be more likely to hire PCs to get the axe from her, or perhaps try to mobilize the dwarven race against Cheliax in a war. Dwarves hate evil and are one of the most stubborn of all races... they wouldn't want to enter an alliance with an evil nation of diabolists led by a petulant but powerful human woman.


I'm positive you're addressed this question hundreds of times, but what are your thoughts on a possible AP centered around defeating an orc invasion from Belkzen? Is that something you'd like to do, or does the idea bore you? It seems like a natural to me, but then so does an AP centered around political intrigue in Taldor and I'm pretty sure that ain't happening any time soon, so that shows what I know. :-)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Cheapy wrote:
With the Pathfinder Chronicler, Delver, and Savant prestige classes, do you see any room for more Pathfinder prestige classes?

Not a lot of room, no.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

watchmanx wrote:

hi james

i was wondering if i have a product that i would like to trade does it break the rules to ask in a fourm, for example hey i live near tacoma and i have a players handbook i would like to trade for a call of cthulhu book?

I'm not sure... probably not. That's more a Vic question.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ShadowChemosh wrote:
Awakened Demiliches are from the Bestiary 3 page 67.

The rules for creating them are. The actual stats he was referencing with the errors was not.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

doc the grey wrote:
What CR, size, and potentially poison effects would be like for the variant dream spiders from Edge of Anarchy?

Check out the third Serpent's Skull adventure for stats for one such variant.

Spoiler:
Pathfinder #39, page 32. It's CR 8, 10 HD, Huge, and has a poison that does wisdom damage and paralysis.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lucent wrote:

I really, truly hope that it doesn't require stripping the Mythic out of Wrath of the Righteous. If there's anything the community can do to help out in whatever capacity we can, you know you have a small army of dedicated hobbyists and fans at your disposal :)

You're not the only one who hopes that. Because if we have to strip the Mythic out of Wrath of the Righteous... I'm more likely to simply change to an entirely different Adventure Path, because I'm not interested in doing an Adventure Path that needs mythic rules without using mythic rules.

The BIGGEST THING that the community can do to help out in this case is to playtest the HELL out of the Mythic Rules when the playtest does launch.

And I'm not talking about playtesting the sample adventure or fooling around with 1st level or even 10th level mythic characters.

I'm talking about playtesting REALLY high level stuff. Characters with up to the full 10 tiers of mythic power. Characters of 15th level or higher. Characters who are 20th level with 10 tiers of power fighting against CR 35 foes.

24,201 to 24,250 of 77,106 << first < prev | 480 | 481 | 482 | 483 | 484 | 485 | 486 | 487 | 488 | 489 | 490 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.