>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

19,451 to 19,500 of 77,090 << first < prev | 385 | 386 | 387 | 388 | 389 | 390 | 391 | 392 | 393 | 394 | 395 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
AbsolutGrndZer0 wrote:

I know you tend not to like rules questions, but I thought I could at least get an opinion, if you don't know the actual RAI.

I am playing a Black-Blooded Oracle, so she's healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy. When discussing Sanctuary and Hide from Undead's cancellation on an attack, I was told that as Inflict Light Wounds is an attack spell, I cannot heal myself without canceling the spell. He is further saying that if a cleric casts Inflict Light Wounds on me I must make a saving throw and FAIL or I don't get healed as Inflict is not harmless like Cure Light Wounds is (he's being "nice" and letting me not save when I cast it on myself.) Nothing is directly said in the entry of the oracle curse, it just says you are treated as undead in regards to positive and negative energy, and the undead entry doesn't say anything either. When I told him I was going to ask he said he's doing it that way no matter what you say, because it's a curse but I still want to know if this is how it's intended or if I am getting screwed more than the rules intend.

If inflict light wounds is counted as an attack spell... then cure light wounds is as well (since you can attack undead with it).

If cure light wounds in your game is NOT counted as an attack spell, then inflict light wounds should not.

I would say that when you use either of those spells to heal someone, it's not an attack. When you use either to hurt someone, it IS an attack. It's perfectly okay for a spell to sometimes undo invisibility and similar effects and othertimes not.

The oracle curse is indeed a curse... but it's not a "always sucks" curse. It's actually a class ability, since it can't be removed by "remove curse" it already breaks a lot of curse rules.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ShadowFighter88 wrote:
Are there any nations in Golarion that would have Celtic-like music? Trying to think of somewhere where I could get away with using some of the battle themes from Fairy Tail. Dunno why, but I'm thinking the River Kingdoms for some reason.

River Kingdoms works. So does Molthune and Nirmathas and Lastwall. Kellids seem to me to mix well with Celtic themes.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

blackbloodtroll wrote:

1) Where in Golarion would one find Good(alignment) Duergar?

2) What are Inquisitions should be available to those who worship Cixyron?
3) Is it possible to build/acquire a Tesla Coil in Golarion?

4) Are there rules for radiation poisoning?

5) Can one obtain Tungsten, Uranium, or Cadmium in Golarion, and at what cost?

1) Nowhere. (Except MAYBE in the form of a good-aligned Duergar PC.)

2) Anything associated with souls and death (same goes for all daemonic deities and demigods).

3) If there are, they wouldn't be called Tesla coils.

4) Yes, sort of. There's a dangerous ore detailed in Into the Darklands that's essentially radioactive.

5) Those do exist on Golarion, but they're not really used by anyone and are very rare. How much they cost and what they do is unknown at this time.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
doc the grey wrote:
...answered my questions!!!

Rather than clutter up this thread... please try to refrain from answering questions for me. Thanks! :-P

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Timothy Ferdinand wrote:
Hi James - I presume that the half-fiend witch Areelu Vorlesh referred to in the Lost Kingdoms (great new product :o) by the way!) campaign setting page 45 and in the Inner Sea World Guide page 199 is the the same as the demon witch Vahedifar Ayeshalmoutey referred to in the old 3.5 Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting product on page 151? What lies behind the name change and the demotion from demon to half-fiend?

Correct. Same creature. The original writeup for the Worldwound (and the information in the old adventure "The Demon Within") got a fair amount of ideas mixed up/flat-out wrong that, unfortunately, made it into print. Inner Sea World Guide got served several purposes, but a big one of those was to make sure that all the elements in the setting worked the way I wanted them to.

I changed her name because "Vahedifar Ayeshalmoutey" is too hard to pronounce and say and isn't all that graceful and doesn't sound cool to me.

I "demoted" her from demon to half fiend because if she's a half fiend/half human, when we stat her up, she can be a really high level witch, but if she's a demon, she can't be as high level because her racial HD get in the way.

Also... for additional reasons that I'll explain later.

Scarab Sages

James,

Not sure if this has been asked or not....

Has anyone ever made it through the Test of the Starstone and not been turned into a deity?


A few months ago we were talking about mute characters; While rereading The Brinewall Legacy, I noticed an Harpy Oracle with the Mute Curse, any chance for that curse to be developed further?


James,

The Improved Familiar ability has a requirement of 'Arcane Spellcaster level'. However, to my knowledge that term is not defined. It could be interpreted as 'Caster Level' or it could be interpreted as 'Arcane Class level'. Which is it? Is it something else altogether?

Thanks as usual.

- Gauss

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:
Winter_Born wrote:

Senior ManyTeethSharpBiting,

In Golarion, does the potential for arcane spell casting ability come soley from the requisite ability score and proper study, or does one also need some sort of magical attunement or proclivity?

Simplified, can anyone with the requisite intelligence score cast spells with proper study?

Thanks!

Note that many of the arcane spellcasting classes in the game use Charisma, not Intelligence... so that right there should prove that you don't need Intelligence to use arcane magic.

The thing that REALLY decides who can cast arcane spells, though, is simply taking a class that lets you do so. You'll need a high Int or Cha (depending) to cast the spells at all though.

Ok I think what you're saying is that anyone can cast spells given the prerequisite ability and study. It was more of a fluff answer I was looking for but I suppose you answered it.

I think what you're saying is that anyone who has the ability score, and say access to a teacher, can cast spells if he/she "takes a level" in an appropriate class.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aberzombie wrote:

James,

Not sure if this has been asked or not....

Has anyone ever made it through the Test of the Starstone and not been turned into a deity?

No. Because the whole point is that if you pass the test, you're a deity.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Void Munchkin wrote:
A few months ago we were talking about mute characters; While rereading The Brinewall Legacy, I noticed an Harpy Oracle with the Mute Curse, any chance for that curse to be developed further?

There's certainly a chance. I invented that curse partially for story reasons, partially to nerf the harpy a bit so she can't use her song (also for story reasons). I never really intended it to be a for-PCs curse, since it's not really a good one, since it would too easily make you not able to play the game. And if it didn't impact you... why make it a curse in the first place.

Not every option should be a player option.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gauss wrote:

James,

The Improved Familiar ability has a requirement of 'Arcane Spellcaster level'. However, to my knowledge that term is not defined. It could be interpreted as 'Caster Level' or it could be interpreted as 'Arcane Class level'. Which is it? Is it something else altogether?

Thanks as usual.

- Gauss

I'm not sure it NEEDS a definition... but if it does, it's precisely what it says it is. A level in any class that grants arcane spellcasting. You don't need a caster level in the class (although I'm not sure off the top of my head of any arcane classes that don't grant caster levels).


James Jacobs wrote:
Void Munchkin wrote:
A few months ago we were talking about mute characters; While rereading The Brinewall Legacy, I noticed an Harpy Oracle with the Mute Curse, any chance for that curse to be developed further?

There's certainly a chance. I invented that curse partially for story reasons, partially to nerf the harpy a bit so she can't use her song (also for story reasons). I never really intended it to be a for-PCs curse, since it's not really a good one, since it would too easily make you not able to play the game. And if it didn't impact you... why make it a curse in the first place.

Not every option should be a player option.

NPC only?


Interesting James. Thanks for the answer.

So which of the following would be correct? (Note: the bard cannot normally have a familiar.)

NG Wizard1/Bard7 (using bard arcane spellcaster level) can get a Pseudodragon
OR
NG Wizard1/Bard6 (add the two Arcane Spellcaster levels together) can get a Pseudodragon

- Gauss


Who should I ask how the pricing for the Sparkware Starknife (from the APG) works? (So I'm not exactly asking how the pricing works, but if you know, that would obviate the need to answer the question I did ask.)

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:


4) Yes, sort of. There's a dangerous ore detailed in Into the Darklands that's essentially radioactive.

You mean Blightburn?

Are there any mechanics available within the rules for it's effects?

How much does it cost?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Void Munchkin wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Void Munchkin wrote:
A few months ago we were talking about mute characters; While rereading The Brinewall Legacy, I noticed an Harpy Oracle with the Mute Curse, any chance for that curse to be developed further?

There's certainly a chance. I invented that curse partially for story reasons, partially to nerf the harpy a bit so she can't use her song (also for story reasons). I never really intended it to be a for-PCs curse, since it's not really a good one, since it would too easily make you not able to play the game. And if it didn't impact you... why make it a curse in the first place.

Not every option should be a player option.

NPC only?

Well... if it's not a player option, that's pretty much all that's left.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gauss wrote:

Interesting James. Thanks for the answer.

So which of the following would be correct? (Note: the bard cannot normally have a familiar.)

NG Wizard1/Bard7 (using bard arcane spellcaster level) can get a Pseudodragon
OR
NG Wizard1/Bard6 (add the two Arcane Spellcaster levels together) can get a Pseudodragon

- Gauss

Only the first one, since you don't add those levels together.

But the pseudodragon would only have 1 level of wizard to get its powers from.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

MagiMaster wrote:
Who should I ask how the pricing for the Sparkware Starknife (from the APG) works? (So I'm not exactly asking how the pricing works, but if you know, that would obviate the need to answer the question I did ask.)

Jason and Sean and Stephen are the ones who toil over on the design team... whether or not they have time to answer that question is up to them though.

I suspect the pricing works like this: when compared to other similar items, it felt about right. But I've not looked at it or done that comparassion myself, so I can't say for sure.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

blackbloodtroll wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:


4) Yes, sort of. There's a dangerous ore detailed in Into the Darklands that's essentially radioactive.

You mean Blightburn?

Are there any mechanics available within the rules for it's effects?

How much does it cost?

There's rules in Into the Darklands. No prices given.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Are Cayden Cailean, Norgorber, and Iomedae the only three to pass the Test of the Starestone? Or are they the only one to make the big times?

Scarab Sages

James Jacobs wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:

James,

Not sure if this has been asked or not....

Has anyone ever made it through the Test of the Starstone and not been turned into a deity?

No. Because the whole point is that if you pass the test, you're a deity.

Ah, I see. For some reason, I had it in my head that the Starstone could reject people.


On a related note, what is the full list of mortals that have become gods in Golarion? So for I've got:

By the Test of the Starstone - Aroden, Iomedae, Norgorber, Cayden Cailean

By other means - Nethys, Irori

Scarab Sages

Dear James Jacobs,

With the release of the Advanced Race Guild, I noticed that there are no T-rexes available as a playable race. When will they be available? Also, would they make terrible wizards? I assume having tiny T-rex hands makes it hard to do somatic components.


James Jacobs wrote:
Gauss wrote:

Interesting James. Thanks for the answer.

So which of the following would be correct? (Note: the bard cannot normally have a familiar.)

NG Wizard1/Bard7 (using bard arcane spellcaster level) can get a Pseudodragon
OR
NG Wizard1/Bard6 (add the two Arcane Spellcaster levels together) can get a Pseudodragon

- Gauss

Only the first one, since you don't add those levels together.

But the pseudodragon would only have 1 level of wizard to get its powers from.

Interesting, thanks again. I guess I will just have to make how I've been running it a houserule. Namely: The prerequisite is the Master Class Level in classes that grant a familiar.

- Gauss


James Jacobs wrote:
MagiMaster wrote:
Who should I ask how the pricing for the Sparkware Starknife (from the APG) works? (So I'm not exactly asking how the pricing works, but if you know, that would obviate the need to answer the question I did ask.)

Jason and Sean and Stephen are the ones who toil over on the design team... whether or not they have time to answer that question is up to them though.

I suspect the pricing works like this: when compared to other similar items, it felt about right. But I've not looked at it or done that comparassion myself, so I can't say for sure.

Alright. Thanks. (I'm ask about that one in particular because it has a very specific price that's close to what the guidelines give, but not exactly.)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Squeakmaan wrote:
Are Cayden Cailean, Norgorber, and Iomedae the only three to pass the Test of the Starestone? Or are they the only one to make the big times?

They're the only three that anyone remembers. There may have been more who were forgotten, but that's unlikely. It'd be hard to be a forgotten god if you went in a mortal and came out a god in the center of the largest city on the planet. So... Yeah. Them three is it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aberzombie wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:

James,

Not sure if this has been asked or not....

Has anyone ever made it through the Test of the Starstone and not been turned into a deity?

No. Because the whole point is that if you pass the test, you're a deity.
Ah, I see. For some reason, I had it in my head that the Starstone could reject people.

It can. By killing them. Or disappearing them. Or both. Or turning you undead. Or all three. Or something worse.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Danny Kessler wrote:

On a related note, what is the full list of mortals that have become gods in Golarion? So for I've got:

By the Test of the Starstone - Aroden, Iomedae, Norgorber, Cayden Cailean

By other means - Nethys, Irori

The Starstone test is complete.

The other list will probably never be complete, as we not only introduce new deities but delve more deeply into established but obscure deities.

Dark Archive

can mites and ettercaps work together or are ettercaps to animalistic to work with mites?


Are there any particular signs, in Absalom, that someone's just hit the jackpot? Does the Cathedral radiate a terrible light that reaches to the heavens, a chorus of unearthly voices raised in song, that sort of thing?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Mourne wrote:

Dear James Jacobs,

With the release of the Advanced Race Guild, I noticed that there are no T-rexes available as a playable race. When will they be available? Also, would they make terrible wizards? I assume having tiny T-rex hands makes it hard to do somatic components.

That's the glory of the last chapter. You want a T-Rex race? Do the best you can with the race builder.

The reasons why there's not a t-rex playable race should be obvious, I would hope. Also, they make terrible wizards becasue their intelligence scores are way too low. If one were awakened, though... the short hands wouldn't matter. They're much longer and much stronger than YOUR hands, or Gandalf's hands, for that matter...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

MagiMaster wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
MagiMaster wrote:
Who should I ask how the pricing for the Sparkware Starknife (from the APG) works? (So I'm not exactly asking how the pricing works, but if you know, that would obviate the need to answer the question I did ask.)

Jason and Sean and Stephen are the ones who toil over on the design team... whether or not they have time to answer that question is up to them though.

I suspect the pricing works like this: when compared to other similar items, it felt about right. But I've not looked at it or done that comparassion myself, so I can't say for sure.

Alright. Thanks. (I'm ask about that one in particular because it has a very specific price that's close to what the guidelines give, but not exactly.)

Three reasons that I could think of off the top of my head...

1) They decided to round the final number to a nicer whole number.

2) They decided it was a tiny bit too good or too bad for the price and adjusted it a little bit so it was off of some other similar item's price.

3) No conscious reason at all. Coincidence/chance/error.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Evil Midnight Lurker wrote:
Are there any particular signs, in Absalom, that someone's just hit the jackpot? Does the Cathedral radiate a terrible light that reaches to the heavens, a chorus of unearthly voices raised in song, that sort of thing?

There likely is... but they'd be different for each deity, and more the result of the deity making sure they had a big emergence/appearance rather than the Starstone Cathedral or the Starstone itself doing it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ulgulanoth wrote:
can mites and ettercaps work together or are ettercaps to animalistic to work with mites?

Depends on the two groups' alignments and their personalities. Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Evil Midnight Lurker wrote:
Are there any particular signs, in Absalom, that someone's just hit the jackpot? Does the Cathedral radiate a terrible light that reaches to the heavens, a chorus of unearthly voices raised in song, that sort of thing?
There likely is... but they'd be different for each deity, and more the result of the deity making sure they had a big emergence/appearance rather than the Starstone Cathedral or the Starstone itself doing it.

Norgorber - things went on as per usual, in fact, they were suspiciously ordinary that day...

Dark Archive

When using Blood Transcription, does grimacing while drinking the blood negate the evil aspect of the spell?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Broven wrote:
When using Blood Transcription, does grimacing while drinking the blood negate the evil aspect of the spell?

Nope. Because grimacing when you have bloodstained teeth makes you look even MORE evil.


Do you like martial arts movies? If so, what is your favorite one on netflix right now?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kajehase wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Evil Midnight Lurker wrote:
Are there any particular signs, in Absalom, that someone's just hit the jackpot? Does the Cathedral radiate a terrible light that reaches to the heavens, a chorus of unearthly voices raised in song, that sort of thing?
There likely is... but they'd be different for each deity, and more the result of the deity making sure they had a big emergence/appearance rather than the Starstone Cathedral or the Starstone itself doing it.
Norgorber - things went on as per usual, in fact, they were suspiciously ordinary that day...

Cayden - a mighty voice echoed across the city speaking the holy words "Oh gods; what did I do last night?"


Got another question about the Aasimar's Celestial Servant feat from ARG.

Celestial Servant wrote:
Benefit: Your animal companion, familiar, or mount gains the celestial template and becomes a magical beast, though you may still treat it as an animal when using Handle Animal, wild empathy, or any other spells or class abilities that specifically affect animals.

What all changes when my companion/familiar/whatever becomes a magical beast? Do they get full BAB like magical beasts, for instance? Or can they get any feat they want now?

Or are they not actually magical beasts, except for the purposes of what targets them (ie Favored Enemy: magical beast, instead of animal now)?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Will there ever be a modern day Pathfinder setting? I was watching video on YouTube with Mortal Kombat theme being played through Tesla Coils, and I had a thought. That would be an Awesome night club, where those on the dance floor were under the effect of a Resist Energy (Electricity), and lightning bolts would pass through their body while dancing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Tels wrote:
Will there ever be a modern day Pathfinder setting? I was watching video on YouTube with Mortal Kombat theme being played through Tesla Coils, and I had a thought. That would be an Awesome night club, where those on the dance floor were under the effect of a Resist Energy (Electricity), and lightning bolts would pass through their body while dancing.

Admit it, you just want to stick a lance out your car window.

SPIRITED CHARGE THIS!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Danny Kessler wrote:
Do you like martial arts movies? If so, what is your favorite one on netflix right now?

I do indeed like them. Currently, I'm pretty fond of House of Flying Daggers and Curse of the Golden Flower.

Detective Dee is pretty fun too.

And Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon of course.

But my FAVORITE one would be "The Legend of Drunken Master."

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Merkatz wrote:

Got another question about the Aasimar's Celestial Servant feat from ARG.

Celestial Servant wrote:
Benefit: Your animal companion, familiar, or mount gains the celestial template and becomes a magical beast, though you may still treat it as an animal when using Handle Animal, wild empathy, or any other spells or class abilities that specifically affect animals.

What all changes when my companion/familiar/whatever becomes a magical beast? Do they get full BAB like magical beasts, for instance? Or can they get any feat they want now?

Or are they not actually magical beasts, except for the purposes of what targets them (ie Favored Enemy: magical beast, instead of animal now)?

Nothing really changes—they're just magical beasts for the purposes of effects that target types. Think of it as a template that applies new abilities but doesn't actually change the math that much.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tels wrote:
Will there ever be a modern day Pathfinder setting? I was watching video on YouTube with Mortal Kombat theme being played through Tesla Coils, and I had a thought. That would be an Awesome night club, where those on the dance floor were under the effect of a Resist Energy (Electricity), and lightning bolts would pass through their body while dancing.

There's already some 3rd party stuff going on there. But an official "Pathfinder Modern" from Paizo is pretty remote at this point. I suspect that if we ever DO branch out into other genres, though, it'll not be into a modern setting but science fiction—hopefully postapocalyptic stuff.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
top 10 animated movies of all time

I was rather hoping Flight of Dragons would crack your top 10.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

baron arem heshvaun wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
top 10 animated movies of all time
I was rather hoping Flight of Dragons would crack your top 10.

Never heard of it.


1)Have you ever seen any of these animated films?
1)The Last Unicorn
2)Heavy Metal
3)Rock and Rule
4)Fire and Ice
5)Final Fantasy Advant Children
6)Resident Evil Degeneration
7)Transformers the movie
8)The Secret of NIMH
9)G.I.Joe the movie
10)Wizard
11)Monsters vs Aliens
12)Starchaser the legend of Orin
13)9
14)Coraline
15)Riki Tiki Tavi
16)The Nightmare Before Christmas
17)The Corpse Bride
18)Monster House
19)Megamind
20)TMNT(2007)
2)Have you seen any of the state to video DC comic book animated films?

19,451 to 19,500 of 77,090 << first < prev | 385 | 386 | 387 | 388 | 389 | 390 | 391 | 392 | 393 | 394 | 395 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.