>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

17,401 to 17,450 of 78,524 << first < prev | 344 | 345 | 346 | 347 | 348 | 349 | 350 | 351 | 352 | 353 | 354 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
The Drunken Dragon wrote:
Is there anywhere in Golarion, or any group of people, based off of Irish or Scottish culture? As in, are any of the countries or people have elements of Irish or Scottish culture?

The orcs of the Hold of Belkzen fights more with each other than with those outside the nation. And they probably don't mind a whisk(e)y from time to time, either. ;)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

messy wrote:
what do you think of my revelation?

If that makes folks like bards more, then I approve.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The Drunken Dragon wrote:
Is there anywhere in Golarion, or any group of people, based off of Irish or Scottish culture? As in, are any of the countries or people have elements of Irish or Scottish culture?

Not specifically at this point, no.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
LazarX wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Stratagemini wrote:
The eyes of elves in Golarion. I really like the way that you've used them to distinguish Golarion from other settings, it makes your elves look a lot cooler, but, are they monochromatic or do they just happen to have really big irises? I've seen both in the art you've released across the various books. Also, Half-elves, do they generally have elven eyes or human eyes?

Elven eyes are monochromatic... until you get up close and see there are indeed irises and pupils and all that... they just look weird. They do not have "whites" to their eyes... except when artists mess up and we don't catch the error in time...

Half elves have human eyes, but the eyes are often weird colors like red, bright green, purple, or the like.

How do you feel about the glowing eyes of your night elf?
I think they're awesome! The point at which they finally fixed night elf eyes so they glowed properly was a delightful one indeed.

You think they warrant a penalty on stealth checks? A bonus on intimidate when inside the forest glooms?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Favorite kind of pancake?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lilith wrote:
Favorite kind of pancake?

Think carefully when you answer this question.

It could be the most delicious question of all.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
LazarX wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Stratagemini wrote:
The eyes of elves in Golarion. I really like the way that you've used them to distinguish Golarion from other settings, it makes your elves look a lot cooler, but, are they monochromatic or do they just happen to have really big irises? I've seen both in the art you've released across the various books. Also, Half-elves, do they generally have elven eyes or human eyes?

Elven eyes are monochromatic... until you get up close and see there are indeed irises and pupils and all that... they just look weird. They do not have "whites" to their eyes... except when artists mess up and we don't catch the error in time...

Half elves have human eyes, but the eyes are often weird colors like red, bright green, purple, or the like.

How do you feel about the glowing eyes of your night elf?
I think they're awesome! The point at which they finally fixed night elf eyes so they glowed properly was a delightful one indeed.
You think they warrant a penalty on stealth checks? A bonus on intimidate when inside the forest glooms?

Nah... that would fall under the category of needless complexity in my opinion.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Lilith wrote:
Favorite kind of pancake?

Buttermilk!


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Dear Mr Jacobs,

What is the likelihood of including a pronunciation guide of people and places listed in the AP's and Modules in the Stat block next to the persons/towns actual name?

How to pronounce several of the names in APs often confuse the groups I play with and I as a GM would love the assistance. (I sometimes find I confuse the players by pronouncing the name differently in a different session and I know it has also happened to me when I am a player).

Several times as a Player I have I have thought there were two different people when they were the same NPC because the GM forgot how they said the name in the previous session.

Thanks
Blackcat


James.

Comic Books.

Do you read them?

Do you collect them?

Do you smuggle them to work?

:)


So I was reading the logs of a certain conversation today and I saw that one of the books of Shattered Star is set in Kaer Maga, which made me happy, because Kaer Maga is made of pure concentrated awesome.

Oh, sorry, I forgot this is a question thread. Let's see...

What makes Kaer Maga pure concentrated awesome?


Golden-Esque wrote:
Odraude wrote:
messy wrote:
what do you think of my revelation?
It's funny you mention that because in my Jade Regent game, I'm playing a bard with a shield and longsword that is based on Link. Great minds :)
Skill Focus (Arcane) + Eldritch Bloodline (Arcane) + Improved Familiar = Navi

On the subject of Link, I've always pictured him as a Ranger. When you think about it, Link is a switch hitter. He's got the sword and shield down, but can pull out his bow at a moments notice to attack at ranged. When you look at the Ranger's skill list, it matches up perfectly. Epona is his loyal animal companion, and he's got limited spell casting ability.

If you want to think about it, Din, Nayru, and Farore are the three Gods he worships, but specifically Farore. I would argue, that Din is Chaotic Neutral, Nayru is Lawful Neutral, and Farore is True Neutral, with Ganondorf Chaotic Evil, Zelda Lawful Good, and Link Neutral Good.

Also, clearly, Zelda, Link, and Ganondorf all have the Birthmark Trait.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

blackcat wrote:

Dear Mr Jacobs,

What is the likelihood of including a pronunciation guide of people and places listed in the AP's and Modules in the Stat block next to the persons/towns actual name?

How to pronounce several of the names in APs often confuse the groups I play with and I as a GM would love the assistance. (I sometimes find I confuse the players by pronouncing the name differently in a different session and I know it has also happened to me when I am a player).

Several times as a Player I have I have thought there were two different people when they were the same NPC because the GM forgot how they said the name in the previous session.

Thanks
Blackcat

The likelihood of including a pronunciation guide to all names in an AP or module or whatever is close to zero.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

BluePigeon wrote:

James.

Comic Books.

Do you read them?

Do you collect them?

Do you smuggle them to work?

:)

Not regularly.

No.

Don't need to. I can carry them openly and leave them out for all to see should I want to.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gregg Helmberger wrote:

So I was reading the logs of a certain conversation today and I saw that one of the books of Shattered Star is set in Kaer Maga, which made me happy, because Kaer Maga is made of pure concentrated awesome.

Oh, sorry, I forgot this is a question thread. Let's see...

What makes Kaer Maga pure concentrated awesome?

James Sutter.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

How many years of APs do you have planned out?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
blackcat wrote:

Dear Mr Jacobs,

What is the likelihood of including a pronunciation guide of people and places listed in the AP's and Modules in the Stat block next to the persons/towns actual name?

How to pronounce several of the names in APs often confuse the groups I play with and I as a GM would love the assistance. (I sometimes find I confuse the players by pronouncing the name differently in a different session and I know it has also happened to me when I am a player).

Several times as a Player I have I have thought there were two different people when they were the same NPC because the GM forgot how they said the name in the previous session.

Thanks
Blackcat

The likelihood of including a pronunciation guide to all names in an AP or module or whatever is close to zero.

The God of Internet Flame Wars thanks you. :)


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
messy wrote:
what do you think of my revelation?
If that makes folks like bards more, then I approve.

it certainly worked for me. before my revelation, i'd always been in the "bards suck" group. so it's nice to find a reason to like them.

Grand Lodge

Mr. Jacobs,

First off, I want to thank you and your team for doing the Reddit AMA. I loved reading it and I can't wait for the one for the Pathfinder artists.

My question is this: Your team has written a story for every Iconic expect one: Balazar. What's with the Summoner hate and can we expect to see his story sometime soon?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Justin Franklin wrote:
How many years of APs do you have planned out?

Generally 1 year ahead set in stone, then 2 to 3 years beyond that with things that are pretty solid although their order shifts around a lot, then a few years after that of just vague ideas.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

BladeMaster0182 wrote:

Mr. Jacobs,

First off, I want to thank you and your team for doing the Reddit AMA. I loved reading it and I can't wait for the one for the Pathfinder artists.

My question is this: Your team has written a story for every Iconic expect one: Balazar. What's with the Summoner hate and can we expect to see his story sometime soon?

Actaully, I believe we've also not yet done a Meet the Iconics for Imrijka as well.

In this case, it's not summoner hate. Someone had to be last. It just happens to end up being one of those two.

Once we're out of the Gen Con rush in about 6 weeks or so...THEN we can turn our attention back to hard-to-genereate blog posts like the Meet the Iconics posts.


James Jacobs wrote:
BladeMaster0182 wrote:

Mr. Jacobs,

First off, I want to thank you and your team for doing the Reddit AMA. I loved reading it and I can't wait for the one for the Pathfinder artists.

My question is this: Your team has written a story for every Iconic expect one: Balazar. What's with the Summoner hate and can we expect to see his story sometime soon?

Actaully, I believe we've also not yet done a Meet the Iconics for Imrijka as well.

In this case, it's not summoner hate. Someone had to be last. It just happens to end up being one of those two.

Once we're out of the Gen Con rush in about 6 weeks or so...THEN we can turn our attention back to hard-to-genereate blog posts like the Meet the Iconics posts.

IF there's ever another base class added to the game (which I doubt there will be) you should totally make that iconic something wild and crazy. Like ... a kitsune.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
BladeMaster0182 wrote:

Mr. Jacobs,

First off, I want to thank you and your team for doing the Reddit AMA. I loved reading it and I can't wait for the one for the Pathfinder artists.

My question is this: Your team has written a story for every Iconic expect one: Balazar. What's with the Summoner hate and can we expect to see his story sometime soon?

Actaully, I believe we've also not yet done a Meet the Iconics for Imrijka as well.

In this case, it's not summoner hate. Someone had to be last. It just happens to end up being one of those two.

Once we're out of the Gen Con rush in about 6 weeks or so...THEN we can turn our attention back to hard-to-genereate blog posts like the Meet the Iconics posts.

Isn't that what you said last year? ;)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Golden-Esque wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
BladeMaster0182 wrote:

Mr. Jacobs,

First off, I want to thank you and your team for doing the Reddit AMA. I loved reading it and I can't wait for the one for the Pathfinder artists.

My question is this: Your team has written a story for every Iconic expect one: Balazar. What's with the Summoner hate and can we expect to see his story sometime soon?

Actaully, I believe we've also not yet done a Meet the Iconics for Imrijka as well.

In this case, it's not summoner hate. Someone had to be last. It just happens to end up being one of those two.

Once we're out of the Gen Con rush in about 6 weeks or so...THEN we can turn our attention back to hard-to-genereate blog posts like the Meet the Iconics posts.

IF there's ever another base class added to the game (which I doubt there will be) you should totally make that iconic something wild and crazy. Like ... a kitsune.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

Or perhaps a tiefling!


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Wayang! (Because it's fun to say: Wayang, wayang, wayang.)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

deinol wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
BladeMaster0182 wrote:

Mr. Jacobs,

First off, I want to thank you and your team for doing the Reddit AMA. I loved reading it and I can't wait for the one for the Pathfinder artists.

My question is this: Your team has written a story for every Iconic expect one: Balazar. What's with the Summoner hate and can we expect to see his story sometime soon?

Actaully, I believe we've also not yet done a Meet the Iconics for Imrijka as well.

In this case, it's not summoner hate. Someone had to be last. It just happens to end up being one of those two.

Once we're out of the Gen Con rush in about 6 weeks or so...THEN we can turn our attention back to hard-to-genereate blog posts like the Meet the Iconics posts.

Isn't that what you said last year? ;)

Yes.

Trust me, if it were easy producing "Meet the Iconics" blog posts, we'd have done so already. But the fact is that I'm not gonna let just anyone here at Paizo write one—they need to be written by someone who's good at fiction AND who understands the game and the world.

AKA: I want these Meet the Iconics posts to be done RIGHT, not FAST. I'm not just gonna let anyone write them.


1) what is the name of the House that ruled Cheliax before the rise of House Thrune?

2) are there any heirs of said House still out there in Golarion?

3) is this the same House as that of King Aspex, or we're there other royal houses?

Grand Lodge

Does the Antipaladin have an iconic? I can't seem to find one.

If not, that makes it the only core, base, or alternate class without one. Is that because it's evil?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Khonger wrote:

1) what is the name of the House that ruled Cheliax before the rise of House Thrune?

2) are there any heirs of said House still out there in Golarion?

3) is this the same House as that of King Aspex, or we're there other royal houses?

1) I'm not sure we've revealed that... or if it was even a house at all. I'm pretty sure it was an actual government, not a family.

2) Yes.

3) Yes, there were other houses/families.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Exocrat wrote:

Does the Antipaladin have an iconic? I can't seem to find one.

If not, that makes it the only core, base, or alternate class without one. Is that because it's evil?

He does not have an iconic, because we haven't yet had Wayne paint one for us. As the first alternate class... he kind of snuck through the cracks and got invented sorta stealth as far as "operation iconic" goes.


I thought the anti-paladin pictured in the APG was the iconic. Weird!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Cheapy wrote:
I thought the anti-paladin pictured in the APG was the iconic. Weird!

Nope. It's just the picture we commissioned for the anti-paladin.

If it were an iconic, we would have had Wayne Reynolds illustrate it and it would have been in its own section up at the front with the base classes.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
How many years of APs do you have planned out?
Generally 1 year ahead set in stone, then 2 to 3 years beyond that with things that are pretty solid although their order shifts around a lot, then a few years after that of just vague ideas.

So the question you probably won't answer: Is Numeria in the 2 to 3 years, or just the vague ideas?


Hey James I've been thinking about how to make higher levels easier to handle, and I decided to adapt a armor enchantment from DDO called deathblock and make it a +3 or +4 equivalent armor enchantment, and it will make you immune to instant death effects. Do you think it might help? Do you think it's cool?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Justin Franklin wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
How many years of APs do you have planned out?
Generally 1 year ahead set in stone, then 2 to 3 years beyond that with things that are pretty solid although their order shifts around a lot, then a few years after that of just vague ideas.
So the question you probably won't answer: Is Numeria in the 2 to 3 years, or just the vague ideas?

You're right. I won't answer that question.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The Minis Maniac wrote:
Hey James I've been thinking about how to make higher levels easier to handle, and I decided to adapt a armor enchantment from DDO called deathblock and make it a +3 or +4 equivalent armor enchantment, and it will make you immune to instant death effects. Do you think it might help? Do you think it's cool?

Instant death attacks, of which there are VERY FEW in Pathfinder, are not the problem with high level play. In fact, those type of effects can really speed UP high level play.

Dark Archive

James Jacobs wrote:
The Minis Maniac wrote:
Hey James I've been thinking about how to make higher levels easier to handle, and I decided to adapt a armor enchantment from DDO called deathblock and make it a +3 or +4 equivalent armor enchantment, and it will make you immune to instant death effects. Do you think it might help? Do you think it's cool?
Instant death attacks, of which there are VERY FEW in Pathfinder, are not the problem with high level play. In fact, those type of effects can really speed UP high level play.

Wow, from that quote it's like you don't want hours of real time to pass per turn in mythic play... so weird :P


James Jacobs wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
I thought the anti-paladin pictured in the APG was the iconic. Weird!

Nope. It's just the picture we commissioned for the anti-paladin.

If it were an iconic, we would have had Wayne Reynolds illustrate it and it would have been in its own section up at the front with the base classes.

Huh, I guess I never thought about it, but he's not an iconic when the other alternate classes are, is he? Weird.


Hi, James,

I remember that once, asomewhere on the forum you mentioned that you were testing (or maybe just considering) a feat for PFRPG what would let a character add their Dexterity modifier to their finessable weapon's melee damage and that it might make its way into a future PF publication.
I was wondering is that feat still in consideration or have you dropped the idea?

Dark Archive

James, when the pathfinder mmo is finally made, will you be playing it? if so what is the first kind of character you want to make?

Dark Archive

He and the other Paizo employees will be playing iconics :)

Dark Archive

i'm sure they'll be playing something else as well... right?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

There's totally going to be a rare spawn dinosaur in the game named "The Jacobsaurus". It will live off the flesh of player raids foolish enough to challenge it.


1)Where might I find information about the angel who wrote the actual Book of the Damned?

2)So the Aasimar book(blood of Angels) will have a lot more options for good aligned characters right?

3)Do angels who have "Fallen" or gone insane have to be evil in Pathfinder? can they be CN, LN, or N?

4)We have seen many examples of good outsiders gone bad but what about full blooded fiends being redeemed?

5)So the alternate Aasimar packages in Blood of Angels are Angel, Peri, Azata, Garuda, Agathion, and Archon correct?

6)if you guys do a race book for the elemental races(Sylph, Undine, etc.) would they all together in one book or each get there own?

7)What will the new sorcerer bloodline be in Blood of Angels?


Matrixryu wrote:
There's totally going to be a rare spawn dinosaur in the game named "The Jacobsaurus". It will live off the flesh of player raids foolish enough to challenge it.

This! This is totally WIN!

Hmm... I remember reading somewhere you didn't like Order of the Stick. Maybe they could incorporate a pile of corpses that resemble the Order?

Dark Archive

1) Are there pocket watches in Golarion?

1a) If there are, can they be combined with wayfinders, so that you get a compass and a pocket watch in one item?

2) Are there artifact-level wayfinders or ioun stones?

3) Do you have plans to publish the rules for implanting ioun stones in the flesh and items other than wayfinders? That is, do you have plans to expand the information presented in Seekers of Secrets?

4) Can you imagine any kind of warforged-like PC race being officially available for play in Golarion? Would you ever allow something like that, if it was up to you alone?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Threeshades wrote:

Hi, James,

I remember that once, asomewhere on the forum you mentioned that you were testing (or maybe just considering) a feat for PFRPG what would let a character add their Dexterity modifier to their finessable weapon's melee damage and that it might make its way into a future PF publication.
I was wondering is that feat still in consideration or have you dropped the idea?

That would be Dervish Dance, from Inner Sea World Guide, I suspect. The other one I was fooling around with was too good and so it's not going anywhere.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ulgulanoth wrote:
James, when the pathfinder mmo is finally made, will you be playing it? if so what is the first kind of character you want to make?

If it's available for the Mac, I'll play it. I don't own a Windows machine.

And until the game is made, I don't know what the options will be, and thus don't know what kind of character I'll want to make... but if possible, it'd be cool to play an iconic! In which case I'd play Merisiel, of course!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:

1)Where might I find information about the angel who wrote the actual Book of the Damned?

2)So the Aasimar book(blood of Angels) will have a lot more options for good aligned characters right?

3)Do angels who have "Fallen" or gone insane have to be evil in Pathfinder? can they be CN, LN, or N?

4)We have seen many examples of good outsiders gone bad but what about full blooded fiends being redeemed?

5)So the alternate Aasimar packages in Blood of Angels are Angel, Peri, Azata, Garuda, Agathion, and Archon correct?

6)if you guys do a race book for the elemental races(Sylph, Undine, etc.) would they all together in one book or each get there own?

7)What will the new sorcerer bloodline be in Blood of Angels?

1) In some upcoming products... have patience!

2) Yes. It's about aasimars, after all.

3) Fallen angels can be any alignment. Even good. There's not really a rules mechanic in play for them yet, and I'd rather there NEVER be so we can maintain flexibility and make each one a truly unique character. Which is as it should be. They're really rare.

4) It's easier to fall from good to become evil than it is to rise from evil and become good. We'll do something with a redeemed evil character some day, I suspect.

5) Yup.

6) Dunno.

7) The Martyred bloodline.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

nightflier wrote:

1) Are there pocket watches in Golarion?

1a) If there are, can they be combined with wayfinders, so that you get a compass and a pocket watch in one item?

2) Are there artifact-level wayfinders or ioun stones?

3) Do you have plans to publish the rules for implanting ioun stones in the flesh and items other than wayfinders? That is, do you have plans to expand the information presented in Seekers of Secrets?

4) Can you imagine any kind of warforged-like PC race being officially available for play in Golarion? Would you ever allow something like that, if it was up to you alone?

1) No.

1a) Nope.

2) Yes.

3) Seekers of Secrets more or less covered that topic. We might reprint that info some day though, I suppose.

4) If by "a zero-HD race that has construct features," then absolutely. Stay tuned. If by "a zero-HD race that has similar or identical rules as the warforged," then no.

17,401 to 17,450 of 78,524 << first < prev | 344 | 345 | 346 | 347 | 348 | 349 | 350 | 351 | 352 | 353 | 354 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.