>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

11,851 to 11,900 of 83,732 << first < prev | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | 242 | 243 | next > last >>

1)Are any new Proteons in the Beastairy 3?

2)Did any of the lovecraftian monsters from AP#46 make it into the Beastairy 3?

3)Is there a chance of ever seeing the Gorgimera again?

4)Why do you guys think the Ravid looks silly/goofy? I have used it very effectively against the my party before. Why not bring it into pathfinder?

5)Have you seen "Machette"? if so did you like it?

6)What has been the biggest inspiration for you, History or Popculture?

7)What are your top five favorite (non-dinosaurs/prehistoric animals) real world animals?


Dragon78 wrote:


5)Is there anyway to give a witch magehand, disrupt undead, or ray of frost?

A Trait, Two-World Magic would allow you to get one of those. found in Sargava, the Lost Colony i think.

Dark Archive

James Jacobs wrote:
ulgulanoth wrote:
what are the costal regions of Andoran like? and do Andorans have cannons?

The coastal regions are similar to the northern Mediterranean... maybe a little less warm, though, since the Inner Sea is more north of the Mediterranean.

No cannons, though. There are cannons in Alkenstar, and a some of them on the Filthy Lucre (the Hurricane King's ship) and perhaps a couple more elsewhere in the Shackles under the Hurricane King's control, and one in the Mwangi Expanse (stolen from Alkenstar by the Gorilla King)... but that's pretty much it for cannons in Golarion.

does this mean that storm giants can/are found in Andoran coasts?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Moroboshi wrote:

Hi, i've read FAQ, but i've yet a small problem. If i wielding 2 weapon (withh or without TWF feats) do i apply my full str bonus or only half of it with the second one?

Example: Fighter +6+1 with Longsword and a torch. reading faq, if he has TWF feat he can strike with any combination of them at +6+1 if he make only 2 attacks, but if he want use 3 attack he must declare it and take proper malus. This fighter strike with the longsword +6 (adding full STR damage bonus), but the second one? He can add full STR bonus also if he strike with weapon in the secon hand (or off hand)?
Tnx

If you wield two weapons, the weapon in your off hand adds half your Strength bonus unless you have the Double Slice feat. See the rules for light and one-handed weapons on page 141 of the Core Rulebook.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ulgulanoth wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
ulgulanoth wrote:
what are the costal regions of Andoran like? and do Andorans have cannons?

The coastal regions are similar to the northern Mediterranean... maybe a little less warm, though, since the Inner Sea is more north of the Mediterranean.

No cannons, though. There are cannons in Alkenstar, and a some of them on the Filthy Lucre (the Hurricane King's ship) and perhaps a couple more elsewhere in the Shackles under the Hurricane King's control, and one in the Mwangi Expanse (stolen from Alkenstar by the Gorilla King)... but that's pretty much it for cannons in Golarion.

does this mean that storm giants can/are found in Andoran coasts?

Storm giants can be found off of ANY coastline... but they tend to avoid ones that are more densely civilized/populated by humanity.


James Jacobs wrote:
see wrote:
So, for all practical purposes, beholder, gauth, carrion crawler, tanar’ri, baatezu, displacer beast, githyanki, githzerai, mind flayer, illithid, umber hulk, yuan-ti, and slaadi.
Actaully, add to that list the words "Guardinal" and "Eladrin," which is why Paizo has Azatas and Agathions.

Ah, yes, in the Monster Manual, not in the SRD, but does not appear to be declared Product Identity anywhere.

(Stuff like that is why you DO NOT USE THE 3.5 BOOKS AS A SOURCE IF YOU'RE PUBLISHING. The SRD is the safe stuff, already extracted. The 3.5 books have all sort of closed bits, not all explicitly declared.)

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

James Jacobs wrote:
Moroboshi wrote:

Hi, i've read FAQ, but i've yet a small problem. If i wielding 2 weapon (withh or without TWF feats) do i apply my full str bonus or only half of it with the second one?

Example: Fighter +6+1 with Longsword and a torch. reading faq, if he has TWF feat he can strike with any combination of them at +6+1 if he make only 2 attacks, but if he want use 3 attack he must declare it and take proper malus. This fighter strike with the longsword +6 (adding full STR damage bonus), but the second one? He can add full STR bonus also if he strike with weapon in the secon hand (or off hand)?
Tnx
If you wield two weapons, the weapon in your off hand adds half your Strength bonus unless you have the Double Slice feat. See the rules for light and one-handed weapons on page 141 of the Core Rulebook.

Lest there be any confusion, the question is not whether or not your off hand deals less damage.

The question is whether or not you even have an off hand when you're not employing the Two-Weapon Fighting mechanic.

It's recently been clarified that using two different weapons for iterative attacks is not the same as TWF.

Though I'm not sure why this question is being brought to you - people like to quote and/or dismiss you as needed to support their arguments.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:

1)Are any new Proteons in the Beastairy 3?

2)Did any of the lovecraftian monsters from AP#46 make it into the Beastairy 3?

3)Is there a chance of ever seeing the Gorgimera again?

4)Why do you guys think the Ravid looks silly/goofy? I have used it very effectively against the my party before. Why not bring it into pathfinder?

5)Have you seen "Machette"? if so did you like it?

6)What has been the biggest inspiration for you, History or Popculture?

7)What are your top five favorite (non-dinosaurs/prehistoric animals) real world animals?

1) No.

2) No. Carrion Crown is far too recent & new to have anything show up in Bestiary 3. Serpent's Skull was the monster cutoff for Bestiary 3, I believe.

3) Probably not from Paizo, but it's on page 346 of the Tome of Horrors Complete.

4) I think it looks silly because it just does—whether or not something looks silly or not is in the eye of the beholder. But a snake with a single arm sticking out of its back? Silly. More to the point, though, its ability to animate nearly two dozen animated objects makes it something of a nightmare to use in adventures, since all animated objects have different stat blocks. Furthermore, it's a CR 5 creature with the ability to animate a HUGE number of objects each round. In a room filled with junk, that could mean 10 Medium objects (a CR 8 or 9 encounter) or a Gargantuan and a Large object (a CR 9 or 10 encounter) and so on. A CR 5 creature with the ability to spawn CR 8 to 10 encounters EVERY ROUND is not a well-designed monster, and if we DO ever get over our dislike and distaste of the monster's look, it'll probably become a much higher CR creature and/or will have its animate objects ability quite nerfed.

5) I have, and I did!

6) Depends on the topic, and depends if you count pulp era stories as "popular" culture.

7) Cat, lizard, crocodile, tuatara, raven.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Jiggy wrote:

Lest there be any confusion, the question is not whether or not your off hand deals less damage.

The question is whether or not you even have an off hand when you're not employing the Two-Weapon Fighting mechanic.

It's recently been clarified that using two different weapons for iterative attacks is not the same as TWF.

The only time the game cares about your off hand is when you wield a second weapon in it. Ambidexterity and having to pick dominant hands were a part of 3.0, but that element was excised from the game (rightfully so, in my opinion) as needlessly complex in 3.5.

Jiggy wrote:
Though I'm not sure why this question is being brought to you - people like to quote and/or dismiss you as needed to support their arguments.

Yeah. Frustrating.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

James Jacobs wrote:
The only time the game cares about your off hand is when you wield a second weapon in it.

Hate to say it, but people are going to jump on that. I think, based on your next sentence or two, that you're saying there's no such thing as an off-hand when you're employing the TWF mechanic because to do so would be unnecessarily complex. But since all you said was "when you wield a second weapon" (as opposed to, say, "when you wield a second weapon to gain an extra attack"), people will use that line as support to show that you do have an off hand in non-TWF iteratives as long as your +6 and +1 are made with different weapons.

Maybe you should institute a blanket policy of not answering rules questions. Or emailing answers to me for editing first. ;)


Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Would it be a possibility or a good idea for Paizo to do a Gazetteer style book for a continent ever 2 or 3 years?

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Called it.


Jiggy wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
The only time the game cares about your off hand is when you wield a second weapon in it.

Hate to say it, but people are going to jump on that. I think, based on your next sentence or two, that you're saying there's no such thing as an off-hand when you're employing the TWF mechanic because to do so would be unnecessarily complex. But since all you said was "when you wield a second weapon" (as opposed to, say, "when you wield a second weapon to gain an extra attack"), people will use that line as support to show that you do have an off hand in non-TWF iteratives as long as your +6 and +1 are made with different weapons.

Maybe you should institute a blanket policy of not answering rules questions. Or emailing answers to me for editing first. ;)

I am guilty of supporting the rulings that agree with me too, but that does not mean JJ's opinions are not right. I like his idea of cantrips not counting for the Magus's special abilities. I would like to see it made into an official rule since otherwise arcane mark is just a loophole IMHO.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Never said JJ was never right, just that people sort of abuse his availability.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Jiggy wrote:
Something, and I'm just using his post

Jiggy, at first when I started seeing your posts I was like. This guy could be annoying, but the more I read your posts, the more I go, "I like this guy." So here is me saying, I like your posts and your input...most of the time. lol ;)


Jiggy wrote:
Never said JJ was never right, just that people sort of abuse his availability.

I agree.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

ThornDJL7 wrote:
Jiggy wrote:
Something, and I'm just using his post
Jiggy, at first when I started seeing your posts I was like. This guy could be annoying, but the more I read your posts, the more I go, "I like this guy." So here is me saying, I like your posts and your input...most of the time. lol ;)

:D

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Jiggy wrote:
ThornDJL7 wrote:
Jiggy wrote:
Something, and I'm just using his post
Jiggy, at first when I started seeing your posts I was like. This guy could be annoying, but the more I read your posts, the more I go, "I like this guy." So here is me saying, I like your posts and your input...most of the time. lol ;)
:D

If you're ever in Kalamazoo, MI, or in Michigan at one of our conventions, come to one of our PFS events. I'd love for you to play a scenario at one of our tables.


Someday we'll see Bel, Zariel, Glasya, Bensozia, Levistus and the Dark Eight in Golarion's Hell? Where? When? Why? I really miss they all, specially the Dark Eight and his troops.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Justin Franklin wrote:

Would it be a possibility or a good idea for Paizo to do a Gazetteer style book for a continent ever 2 or 3 years?

I'm honestly not sure. The Inner Sea World Guide is doing quite well... but that's probably because it's supported by about 200 pages of support content a month. How well would a hardcover of similar size do if it only got about 200 pages of support content a year or even less? Probably not nearly as well...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Jiggy wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
The only time the game cares about your off hand is when you wield a second weapon in it.

Hate to say it, but people are going to jump on that. I think, based on your next sentence or two, that you're saying there's no such thing as an off-hand when you're employing the TWF mechanic because to do so would be unnecessarily complex. But since all you said was "when you wield a second weapon" (as opposed to, say, "when you wield a second weapon to gain an extra attack"), people will use that line as support to show that you do have an off hand in non-TWF iteratives as long as your +6 and +1 are made with different weapons.

Maybe you should institute a blanket policy of not answering rules questions. Or emailing answers to me for editing first. ;)

Whether or not people jump on that is irrelevant. People prone to jumping on things like that will jump no matter what. If folks want to be willfully obtuse or play the semantics game or argue rules or whatever... that's fine. I'm here to write and create and play the game. When they get tired of arguments and want to play the game as well, I'll be here waiting for them.

And I like to think that I'm at least as qualified to answer rules questions as you are.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Bruno Mares wrote:
Someday we'll see Bel, Zariel, Glasya, Bensozia, Levistus and the Dark Eight in Golarion's Hell? Where? When? Why? I really miss they all, specially the Dark Eight and his troops.

We've done a LOT about our version of hell—see "Princes of Darkness." Why are some of those names missing? Because they're not open content, nor are they actually mythological names—they were invented and are owned by TSR/Wizards of the Coast, and are thus product identity, and are not available for us to play with.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Anyway... I'll absolutely still answer rules questions.

If folks use my answers as ammunition to browbeat their GMs or to try to win annoying rules arguments on multipage threads elsewhere on these boards or the internet... I'll be disappointed and annoyed, but no more so than, say, when I see a bad review of an adventure I wrote cite lots of GM changes to the adventure as evidence that I'm a bad adventure writer when, in fact, they merely have a GM who can't read.

I like to think that the majority of folks who ask rules questions here are honestly seeking the advice of someone who gets paid to think about the rules, and thus hope for some sort of insight or behind-the-scenes revelation or whatever, and aren't just farming for anti-GM bullets.


James Jacobs wrote:
And I like to think that I'm at least as qualified to answer rules questions as you are.

OH SNAP!


Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:

Would it be a possibility or a good idea for Paizo to do a Gazetteer style book for a continent ever 2 or 3 years?

I'm honestly not sure. The Inner Sea World Guide is doing quite well... but that's probably because it's supported by about 200 pages of support content a month. How well would a hardcover of similar size do if it only got about 200 pages of support content a year or even less? Probably not nearly as well...

I meant like the 64 page style ones.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

James Jacobs wrote:
And I like to think that I'm at least as qualified to answer rules questions as you are.

I hope I didn't come across as saying otherwise; that certainly wasn't my intent at all.

:(

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Jiggy wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
And I like to think that I'm at least as qualified to answer rules questions as you are.

I hope I didn't come across as saying otherwise; that certainly wasn't my intent at all.

:(

It kind of did come off as an "I can help you do the job you can't seem to do on your own."... but it's good to know it wasn't intended that way! :-)

No foul, no harm!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Justin Franklin wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:

Would it be a possibility or a good idea for Paizo to do a Gazetteer style book for a continent ever 2 or 3 years?

I'm honestly not sure. The Inner Sea World Guide is doing quite well... but that's probably because it's supported by about 200 pages of support content a month. How well would a hardcover of similar size do if it only got about 200 pages of support content a year or even less? Probably not nearly as well...
I meant like the 64 page style ones.

OH! Gotcha.

Well... perhaps. The Dragon Empires Gazetteer was hands down the HARDEST 64 page book I've had to build, so unless there's a really really really good reason... like, say, an Adventure Path that's involved... I'd rather not. :-P


Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:

Would it be a possibility or a good idea for Paizo to do a Gazetteer style book for a continent ever 2 or 3 years?

I'm honestly not sure. The Inner Sea World Guide is doing quite well... but that's probably because it's supported by about 200 pages of support content a month. How well would a hardcover of similar size do if it only got about 200 pages of support content a year or even less? Probably not nearly as well...
I meant like the 64 page style ones.

OH! Gotcha.

Well... perhaps. The Dragon Empires Gazetteer was hands down the HARDEST 64 page book I've had to build, so unless there's a really really really good reason... like, say, an Adventure Path that's involved... I'd rather not. :-P

I was just trying to come up with a way to get more info on some of the other continents. So is there a chance that we see an AP on one of the other continents in the next say 5 years?

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

James Jacobs wrote:
Jiggy wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
And I like to think that I'm at least as qualified to answer rules questions as you are.

I hope I didn't come across as saying otherwise; that certainly wasn't my intent at all.

:(

It kind of did come off as an "I can help you do the job you can't seem to do on your own."... but it's good to know it wasn't intended that way! :-)

No foul, no harm!

Ach, yeah, sorry - going back and looking at what I said, it does sound that way. My bad. Ironically, what I was actually trying to do was be protective of you (shielding you from people's crap), though I guess that might be just as inappropriate, but in a different way.

Anyway, sorry about all that. :P


James Jacobs wrote:
Moroboshi wrote:

Hi, i've read FAQ, but i've yet a small problem. If i wielding 2 weapon (withh or without TWF feats) do i apply my full str bonus or only half of it with the second one?

Example: Fighter +6+1 with Longsword and a torch. reading faq, if he has TWF feat he can strike with any combination of them at +6+1 if he make only 2 attacks, but if he want use 3 attack he must declare it and take proper malus. This fighter strike with the longsword +6 (adding full STR damage bonus), but the second one? He can add full STR bonus also if he strike with weapon in the secon hand (or off hand)?
Tnx
If you wield two weapons, the weapon in your off hand adds half your Strength bonus unless you have the Double Slice feat. See the rules for light and one-handed weapons on page 141 of the Core Rulebook.

I apologize now for any mistakes but I'm not great with English.

Hi, I'm one of the players being discussed with the player who asked the question and would like to clarify a few points becouse he asked the question in the wrong way and your answer is not clear. (it is not clear if it refers to the feat TWF and or no and if is refers to the extra attacks)
I ask the question in another way so as to avoid any doubts.

all example is WITHOUT having the feat to two weapons fight (TWF) and WITHOUT do any extra attack but only normal number of attack----
BOB is my 6° level warrior has a BASE attack +6 +1 and can do two attacks with his sword in his right hand (the left hand is empty) 1° attack at +6 and 2° attack at +1, and each attack adds entire the force bonus to damage. this is normal rule for normal attack without extra attack, this is simple :)

question 1°
BOB my 6° level warrior, (in another new battle) have the sword in his left hand and do his two attacks as in the example above, 1° attack is at +6 and 2° attack is at +1 ? (now the right hand is empty but now he used another hand)

2° question
BOB puts all the strength bonus to damage in these two attacks or put half of the strength bonus to damage simply because they changed the used hand? (the right hand is empty and haven't do any action)
______________________________________________________
now real core of problem
without having the feat for two weapons fight (TWF) and WITHOUT do any extra attack but only NORMAL number of attack

BOB my 6° level warrior have one generic weapon in right hand and another generic weapon in left hand and base attack +6
1° core question
BOB use only left hand and use right hand only for trasport another weapon, he can do 2 attack at +6 +1 and add entire strength bonus to damage ?

2° core question
BOB whant do a NORMAL number of attack WITHOUT do any extra attack but he whant to do 1° attack at +6 with left generic weapon and whant to do the 2° attack at +1 with right generic weapon.
he can add entire strength bonus to all 2 attack ? the number of attacks is normal for a fighter of his level and I think that the damage should be normal, is not it? (The end result is the same as he would if he were two attacks with the same weapon)

3° question,
if BOB use two knives or two swords change anything? The daggers are light weapon sword no.

I repeat, BOB makes the normal number of attacks in that round (two attack for a 6° level warior), he not recive any advantage from the fighting with two weapons, is only appearence. (is cool :) )

P.S.
my character isn't called BOB but bob is to short :)


So the cut off for the Beastairy is Serpent's skull, well hopefully a lot of creatures from Kingmaker got in because I like a lot of monsters from that AP.

Thanks James for answering my questions.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Justin Franklin wrote:
I was just trying to come up with a way to get more info on some of the other continents. So is there a chance that we see an AP on one of the other continents in the next say 5 years?

Well... the crown of the world has a lot of info in "The Hungry Storm." But it's also the EASIEST continent to detail, since it's relatively lightly populated.

That's not really the case for the rest. New continents would also mean new races, new ethnicities, new nations, new maps, new deities... that's a LOT of work. It's FUN to do... but it's not easy. And since folks haven't even had a chance to digest what we did in Dragon Empires Gazetteer... I'm really hesitant to even think about doing much else for other continents.

It's kind of like me saying "In a month I'm gonna give you a bowl of ice cream," and you instead say, "I also want a birthday cake, a pumpkin pie, and a chocolate bar."

Wait until you try that ice cream. You might get full after you eat it. You might not even LIKE it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dragon78 wrote:

So the cut off for the Beastairy is Serpent's skull, well hopefully a lot of creatures from Kingmaker got in because I like a lot of monsters from that AP.

Thanks James for answering my questions.

Monsters from Pathfinder 1 all the way up to Pathfinder 42 got in to Bestiary 3. More of them didn't get in than DID get in though.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

radon wrote:
...wrote a lot of questions with some strange formatting...

Woah...

Sorry, but I'm not gonna be able to answer the question. Too much going on there, and it's too hard to understand. My advice would be to distill your question down as MUCH as possible—not being great with English is, unfortunately, a real barrier to communication in a case like this where the questions revolve around complex and long rules arguments.

So... if I can take a stab at distilling the question down to what I THINK you're basically asking:

"If I have a sword, do I get my full strength modifier when I attack with it using my right hand AND using my left hand, and I'm only using that one sword and not any other kind of attack?"

Then the answer is yes.

But I have no idea if that's the question you asked.


Which is best: dairy milk, soy milk, or almond milk?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vinland Forever wrote:
Which is best: dairy milk, soy milk, or almond milk?

Dairy milk, from a cow. As long as it's 2% milk. Any more or any less is nasty.


James Jacobs wrote:
Vinland Forever wrote:
Which is best: dairy milk, soy milk, or almond milk?
Dairy milk, from a cow. As long as it's 2% milk. Any more or any less is nasty.

I prefer almond milk.

Did you know almond milk was very popular in the middle ages?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Vinland Forever wrote:
Did you know almond milk was very popular in the middle ages?

I did not.


James Jacobs wrote:
Vinland Forever wrote:
Did you know almond milk was very popular in the middle ages?
I did not.

I'm full of random facts like that ^_^.


Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
I was just trying to come up with a way to get more info on some of the other continents. So is there a chance that we see an AP on one of the other continents in the next say 5 years?

Well... the crown of the world has a lot of info in "The Hungry Storm." But it's also the EASIEST continent to detail, since it's relatively lightly populated.

That's not really the case for the rest. New continents would also mean new races, new ethnicities, new nations, new maps, new deities... that's a LOT of work. It's FUN to do... but it's not easy. And since folks haven't even had a chance to digest what we did in Dragon Empires Gazetteer... I'm really hesitant to even think about doing much else for other continents.

It's kind of like me saying "In a month I'm gonna give you a bowl of ice cream," and you instead say, "I also want a birthday cake, a pumpkin pie, and a chocolate bar."

Wait until you try that ice cream. You might get full after you eat it. You might not even LIKE it.

Yea the Crown of the World Gazetteer, the Dragon Empires Gazetteer, the info in Kobold Quarterly, the stuff in the latest AP volume, along with the forthcoming Distant Worlds, just has me interested in the rest of the continents.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
radon wrote:
...wrote a lot of questions with some strange formatting...

Woah...

Sorry, but I'm not gonna be able to answer the question. Too much going on there, and it's too hard to understand. My advice would be to distill your question down as MUCH as possible—not being great with English is, unfortunately, a real barrier to communication in a case like this where the questions revolve around complex and long rules arguments.

So... if I can take a stab at distilling the question down to what I THINK you're basically asking:

"If I have a sword, do I get my full strength modifier when I attack with it using my right hand AND using my left hand, and I'm only using that one sword and not any other kind of attack?"

Then the answer is yes.

But I have no idea if that's the question you asked.

The question he asked is the rules issue that's been raging the boards lately.

Mainly the idea is that you can fight iteratively, assuming that BAB is 6+ with two weapons and as long as you don't take any more attacks than you do with a single weapon that the following would apply, or in essence (The Two Weapon Fighting mechanics would not apply)

1. No penalties to the attacks of either hand.

2. Full strength bonuses be applied to the attacks of both hands.

Your take on this?


What do you like better titan Mauler (Barbarian), or Two-Weapon Warrior (fighter)? Also I think a dual-weilding Barbarian would be an awesome archetype.


Could you weild 2 Taiahah because their double sided but also one handed.


Run, Just Run wrote:
What do you like better titan Mauler (Barbarian), or Two-Weapon Warrior (fighter)? Also I think a dual-weilding Barbarian would be an awesome archetype.

I personally liked the Titan Mauler better until I found out that there was an intrinsic cap on how large of a weapon the character could effectively wield. From what I understand, the class works like this:

If you are a Medium creature, you can wield a Two-Handed Greatsword in one-hand because it's effectively the statline of a Large one-handed longsword. However, you can never wield a Large two-handed greatsword in one hand because there's no weapon-handidness category beyond two-handed weapon for you to treat that greatsword as. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me, as I'd LOVE to see more shenanigans with that archetype!


LazarX wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
radon wrote:
...wrote a lot of questions with some strange formatting...

Woah...

Sorry, but I'm not gonna be able to answer the question. Too much going on there, and it's too hard to understand. My advice would be to distill your question down as MUCH as possible—not being great with English is, unfortunately, a real barrier to communication in a case like this where the questions revolve around complex and long rules arguments.

So... if I can take a stab at distilling the question down to what I THINK you're basically asking:

"If I have a sword, do I get my full strength modifier when I attack with it using my right hand AND using my left hand, and I'm only using that one sword and not any other kind of attack?"

Then the answer is yes.

But I have no idea if that's the question you asked.

The question he asked is the rules issue that's been raging the boards lately.

Mainly the idea is that you can fight iteratively, assuming that BAB is 6+ with two weapons and as long as you don't take any more attacks than you do with a single weapon that the following would apply, or in essence (The Two Weapon Fighting mechanics would not apply)

1. No penalties to the attacks of either hand.

2. Full strength bonuses be applied to the attacks of both hands.

Your take on this?

two players claim that when I create a character must choose whether it is right or left handed and when I use the other hand, I put half of the strength bonus to damage. becouse one of two hand is the "off-hand"

thanks a lot, your answer is what I wanted to know.


wraithstrike wrote:
Jiggy wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
The only time the game cares about your off hand is when you wield a second weapon in it.

Hate to say it, but people are going to jump on that. I think, based on your next sentence or two, that you're saying there's no such thing as an off-hand when you're employing the TWF mechanic because to do so would be unnecessarily complex. But since all you said was "when you wield a second weapon" (as opposed to, say, "when you wield a second weapon to gain an extra attack"), people will use that line as support to show that you do have an off hand in non-TWF iteratives as long as your +6 and +1 are made with different weapons.

Maybe you should institute a blanket policy of not answering rules questions. Or emailing answers to me for editing first. ;)

I am guilty of supporting the rulings that agree with me too, but that does not mean JJ's opinions are not right. I like his idea of cantrips not counting for the Magus's special abilities. I would like to see it made into an official rule since otherwise arcane mark is just a loophole IMHO.

I've been playing a magus and I don't get this arcane mark loop hole that everyone talks about. Where does that come from?

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Vinland Forever wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Vinland Forever wrote:
Which is best: dairy milk, soy milk, or almond milk?
Dairy milk, from a cow. As long as it's 2% milk. Any more or any less is nasty.
I prefer almond milk.

I can also vouch for the deliciousness of almond milk - I have a limited dairy tolerance so cow milk is right out, and soy has its own issues. Almond milk is the best dairy substitute I've found.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
Anyway... I'll absolutely still answer rules questions.

Anybody who doesn't appreciate your availability on these boards is a fool. I hope nobody would argue that.

The problem is that there is a perception that there is a wall between the designers' offices and the developers' offices at Paizo and if you don't get a ruling from somebody who writes the rules, it's no better than getting your rulings from a fortune cookie...unless this fortune cookie happens to support your argument.

Obviously there is no magical non-communication wall. 99% of the time every rules answer from all Paizo staff I've seen has been spot on and when they are suggestions, not rules, they have been labeled as such.

That said, there are cases when both developers and designers have answered rules questions that were later FAQ'd to become something different or where Paizo staff publicly disagree with each other. That's why I think if you really really want to go by the rules, you should stick with RAW, the FAQ, and whatever your GM says goes. Does this put me into the willfully obtuse category? Perhaps, but I think it also puts me in the reasonable category. I have used your posts, James, on multiple occasions to put clarifications in my house rules docs; this is because whether I am GMing or playing, the people I game with are reasonable...most of the time ;)

I notice your outlook on this issue is pessimistic. I would say your fear is half right that many people really aren't looking for "insight" into the rules. But don't go right for the worst case scenario that these folks are looking for ammo against their GM. I and probably many other posters are merely enjoying discussions of the game mechanics, possibly for future use in a game, but not to get fuel in an offline argument with other people. Whether we are being pains in the ass or not, this is all just a sign of how passionate people are about the game. By its very nature passion leads to foolhardy behavior ;)

-----

Since I just spewed words NOT for what this thread is about, I'll contribute. James, are the tables that generate random treasure open content (including in the upcoming equipment book) or would I need to make my own if I made an app to streamline this process?

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

James Jacobs wrote:

It's kind of like me saying "In a month I'm gonna give you a bowl of ice cream," and you instead say, "I also want a birthday cake, a pumpkin pie, and a chocolate bar."

Wait until you try that ice cream. You might get full after you eat it. You might not even LIKE it.

James, it sounds like you have some experience with children. I've had that discussion before with my son...I'd say that there's a lot of similarities between children and rabid gaming fans. They both always want more, even before they have the first part of something.

11,851 to 11,900 of 83,732 << first < prev | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | 242 | 243 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards