>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

10,401 to 10,450 of 83,732 << first < prev | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | next > last >>

James Jacobs wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
What exactly is the difference between being denied your dexterity bonus to AC and being flat footed besides the attack of opportunity? A great deal of effort seems to have gone into separating the two terms that appear to be otherwise synonymous.
Flat footed means you're able to be sneak attacked, I believe, while simply being denied your dex bonus does not. It's almost 2:00 AM though and I'm pretty sleepy so I might be misremembering.

I hate to correct the big chief, but I think you got it backwards, sir. Rogues can sneak attack only if you're denied your Dex bonus (and/or are flanked, of course.)

Flat-footed means you haven't yet acted in a combat round, cannot take actions until your turn comes up (such as immediate actions or, with the exception of the combat reflexes feat, attacks of opportunity), and are denied your Dex bonus. I have never heard of an ability catching you (or causing you to be caught) flat-footed outside of the first round of combat.

Being denied your Dexterity bonus just means you don't get your Dex bonus to AC for that attack or round. Plenty of effects do this. But you can still act (theoretically, anyway. If you're unconscious, not so much.)

Liberty's Edge

James Jacobs wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
What exactly is the difference between being denied your dexterity bonus to AC and being flat footed besides the attack of opportunity? A great deal of effort seems to have gone into separating the two terms that appear to be otherwise synonymous.
Flat footed means you're able to be sneak attacked, I believe, while simply being denied your dex bonus does not. It's almost 2:00 AM though and I'm pretty sleepy so I might be misremembering.

No whenever you are denied your dex bonus you can be sneak attacked, but being flat footed means Uncanny Dodge can help you, being denied your dex means it can't (usually being prone, helpless, etc)


Based on the wording of Dead Shot Deed (shown below), do you think you can apply the Rapid Shot feat to it? I personally told my player no, because the Deed specifically mentions making as many attacks as you can based on your attack bonus, but the Deed is also technically a full round action used to make a ranged weapon attack.

Also, I am aware that you are not Jason / Sean; just wanted your opinion. :-P

Dead Shot Deed wrote:
At 7th level, as a full-round action, the gunslinger can take careful aim and pool all of her attack potential into a single, deadly shot. When she does this, she shoots the firearm at a single target, but makes as many attack rolls as she can, based on her base attack bonus. She makes the attack rolls in order from highest bonus to lowest, as if she were making a full attack. If any of the attack rolls hit the target, the gunslinger’s single attack is considered to have hit. For each additional successful attack roll beyond the first, the gunslinger increases the damage of the shot by the base damage dice of the firearm. For instance, if a 7th-level gunslinger firing a musket hits with both attacks, she does 2d12 points of damage with the shot, instead of 1d12 points of damage, before adding any damage modifiers. Precision damage and extra damage from weapon special abilities (such as flaming) are added with damage modifiers and are not increased by this deed. If one or more rolls are critical threats, she confirms the critical once using her highest base attack bonus –5. For each critical threat beyond the first, she reduces this penalty by 1 (to a maximum of 0). The gunslinger only misfires on a dead shot if all the attack rolls are misfires. She cannot perform this deed with a blunderbuss or other scatter weapon when attacking creatures in a cone. The gunslinger must spend 1 grit point to perform this deed.

Sovereign Court

James Jacobs wrote:
The Thing from Beyond the Edge wrote:

The inner sea world guide mentions nations can be found along the Garundi coastline south of the maps.

Holomog is mentioned as being on the southeastern coast.

Also mentioned there (in the ISWG) are Chauxen, Tirakawhan, Dehrukani, and Droon.

Has it been determined which side (east or west) of the "horn" of Garund these nations are located?

If so, please tell.

All we've ever said in print anywhere about those southern Garundi nations, to this point, is what we mentioned thre in the Inner Sea World Guide. That said... those nations are located both east AND west of the Horn of Droon.

I would love a Campaign Setting book about those nations.

Or an AP...


James Jacobs wrote:
The Thing from Beyond the Edge wrote:

The inner sea world guide mentions nations can be found along the Garundi coastline south of the maps.

Holomog is mentioned as being on the southeastern coast.

Also mentioned there (in the ISWG) are Chauxen, Tirakawhan, Dehrukani, and Droon.

Has it been determined which side (east or west) of the "horn" of Garund these nations are located?

If so, please tell.

All we've ever said in print anywhere about those southern Garundi nations, to this point, is what we mentioned thre in the Inner Sea World Guide. That said... those nations are located both east AND west of the Horn of Droon.

Thanks.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Ral' Yareth wrote:

Hi James,

I have a question concerning the runelord Alaznist. She is described (in dungeons of golarion) as a dabbler in demonology who also encouraged her followers to worship demons.

With that in mind, I was surprised to learn from Inner Sea Magic that one of the forbidden schools for wrath magic was conjuration. Was that intentional or an oversight? If its the first, was she somehow able to overcome her school's limitations or was Yamasoth pretty much doing everything demon-related for her?

Thank you in advance.

That's intentional. You don't have to summon demons in order to worship them. Nor do you need conjuration magic to force demons or convince demons to work for you.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archmage_Atrus wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
What exactly is the difference between being denied your dexterity bonus to AC and being flat footed besides the attack of opportunity? A great deal of effort seems to have gone into separating the two terms that appear to be otherwise synonymous.
Flat footed means you're able to be sneak attacked, I believe, while simply being denied your dex bonus does not. It's almost 2:00 AM though and I'm pretty sleepy so I might be misremembering.

I hate to correct the big chief, but I think you got it backwards, sir. Rogues can sneak attack only if you're denied your Dex bonus (and/or are flanked, of course.)

Flat-footed means you haven't yet acted in a combat round, cannot take actions until your turn comes up (such as immediate actions or, with the exception of the combat reflexes feat, attacks of opportunity), and are denied your Dex bonus. I have never heard of an ability catching you (or causing you to be caught) flat-footed outside of the first round of combat.

Being denied your Dexterity bonus just means you don't get your Dex bonus to AC for that attack or round. Plenty of effects do this. But you can still act (theoretically, anyway. If you're unconscious, not so much.)

That's what happens when I post when I'm almost asleep; no big deal.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Golden-Esque wrote:

Based on the wording of Dead Shot Deed (shown below), do you think you can apply the Rapid Shot feat to it? I personally told my player no, because the Deed specifically mentions making as many attacks as you can based on your attack bonus, but the Deed is also technically a full round action used to make a ranged weapon attack.

Also, I am aware that you are not Jason / Sean; just wanted your opinion. :-P

Since dead shot specifically says "a single, deadly shot," no... you can't take more than one shot with it using Rapid Shot.


James Jacobs wrote:
Ral' Yareth wrote:

Hi James,

I have a question concerning the runelord Alaznist. She is described (in dungeons of golarion) as a dabbler in demonology who also encouraged her followers to worship demons.

With that in mind, I was surprised to learn from Inner Sea Magic that one of the forbidden schools for wrath magic was conjuration. Was that intentional or an oversight? If its the first, was she somehow able to overcome her school's limitations or was Yamasoth pretty much doing everything demon-related for her?

Thank you in advance.

That's intentional. You don't have to summon demons in order to worship them. Nor do you need conjuration magic to force demons or convince demons to work for you.

I guess I just tend to associate demonology with conjuration magic D&D-wise. That being said, I kind of like the idea that she was so powerful in her own thing that she was able to cower/bargain/worship demons into doing her will.

I have other questions if you don't mind.

Would you say Lastwall's military employ battle mages (by this I mean arcane casters with combat oriented spells - such as an evoker wizard)? To which degree? As a regular unit? As mercenaries?

Thank you again.


In order of most likely to appear in an AP to least likely, please rank these countries:

Absalom
Andoran
Irrisen
Osirion
Taldor

Thank you in advance.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

NuclearPotato wrote:

In order of most likely to appear in an AP to least likely, please rank these countries:

Absalom
Andoran
Irrisen
Osirion
Taldor

Thank you in advance.

Since I know the next 6 or so APs, and since folks KNOW I know that... I can't rank these without setting up false expectations or spoiling things we're not quite ready to reveal. So I won't.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Ral' Yareth wrote:

I have other questions if you don't mind.

Would you say Lastwall's military employ battle mages (by this I mean arcane casters with combat oriented spells - such as an evoker wizard)? To which degree? As a regular unit? As mercenaries?

Pretty much EVERY army in the Inner Sea region employs arcane spellcaster AND divine spellcasters to some degree or another.

I'd rather not nail down exact numbers until we have solid mass combat rules, though.


Hi James,

Can you turn on Power Attack on an AoO? We discussed it here but were unable to come up with a RAW ruling.

Thanks.


James Jacobs wrote:
Ral' Yareth wrote:

I have other questions if you don't mind.

Would you say Lastwall's military employ battle mages (by this I mean arcane casters with combat oriented spells - such as an evoker wizard)? To which degree? As a regular unit? As mercenaries?

Pretty much EVERY army in the Inner Sea region employs arcane spellcaster AND divine spellcasters to some degree or another.

I'd rather not nail down exact numbers until we have solid mass combat rules, though.

That's fair.

Again, thank you.


I've read that Sorshen tore the eyes and tongues out of her lovers and those servants who actually worked close enough to her to have a chance to see her. And a sidebar in Crown of Fangs (AP vol 12) mentions that Sorshen's tomb is populated by ancient vampires and fantastic creatures kept in stasis.

Who are these vampires? Are they servants? Lovers? Random dudes? Have they in fact all been blinded as well? Wouldn't 10,000 years of blindness mean they could adapt to the point of ignoring all or almost all penalties?


James,
I'm considering buying the parts of the AP which details Desna and Sarenrae. But I have two questions first:

1) I have Gods & Magic and Faiths of Purity, do the AP articles contain much more info??

2) Is there much in the way of non duplicated mechanical info? I'm looking for feats and spells specifically, especially non-divine ones for Sarenrae.

I have a Magus PC whose is a worshiper of the Dawnflower, so clearly he can't benefit from the two feats in Faiths of Purity. So I'm hoping there's some more out there, or that there will be eventually.


The Sarenrae article is 3 times as long as the one in Gods & Magic, the Desna article 5 times as long. It's possible some of the spells from those articles have been reprinted, but the majority of the information in those articles have not been reprinted anywhere else.

Other sources that are good for rules-mechanics pertaining to the Dawnflower would be the Player Companions for Qadira and Taldor - particularly the magic chapter in the Taldor book.


Dear james

Did you saw this short film?

For me it was funny as hell....

Late Bloomer - Short Film - Sundance Film Festival

Paizo Employee Creative Director

harmor wrote:

Hi James,

Can you turn on Power Attack on an AoO? We discussed it here but were unable to come up with a RAW ruling.

Thanks.

Nope; Power Attack is something you have to activate on your turn; if you DO, then its effects apply to any Attacks of Opportunity you make until your next turn, though.

Think of Power Attack as really swinging hard and putting all your might into it... not really something that meshes well with the flavor of a quick interrupting attack you make with an attack of opportunity.

If you want to allow it, though, I'd suggest making the effects last all the way through to the end of your next turn.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ANebulousMistress wrote:

I've read that Sorshen tore the eyes and tongues out of her lovers and those servants who actually worked close enough to her to have a chance to see her. And a sidebar in Crown of Fangs (AP vol 12) mentions that Sorshen's tomb is populated by ancient vampires and fantastic creatures kept in stasis.

Who are these vampires? Are they servants? Lovers? Random dudes? Have they in fact all been blinded as well? Wouldn't 10,000 years of blindness mean they could adapt to the point of ignoring all or almost all penalties?

That's something I'm not quite ready to go into more detail about... but I will say that the story about Sorshen tearing out eyes and tongues is as much propaganda and myth as it is fact.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Monkeygod wrote:

James,

I'm considering buying the parts of the AP which details Desna and Sarenrae. But I have two questions first:

1) I have Gods & Magic and Faiths of Purity, do the AP articles contain much more info??

2) Is there much in the way of non duplicated mechanical info? I'm looking for feats and spells specifically, especially non-divine ones for Sarenrae.

I have a Magus PC whose is a worshiper of the Dawnflower, so clearly he can't benefit from the two feats in Faiths of Purity. So I'm hoping there's some more out there, or that there will be eventually.

Yes; the articles do contain about 2 to 4 pages of more info, as mentioned above. And there is indeed some non-duplicated mechanical info, like the spherewalker prestige class.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

kaymanklynman wrote:

Dear james

Did you saw this short film?

For me it was funny as hell....

Late Bloomer - Short Film - Sundance Film Festival

Nope; haven't seen it. I'll have to track it down.


James Jacobs wrote:
kaymanklynman wrote:

Dear james

Did you saw this short film?

For me it was funny as hell....

Late Bloomer - Short Film - Sundance Film Festival

Nope; haven't seen it. I'll have to track it down.

You will have a surprise then... Prepare to laugh a lot


James, being that we know that you know the next 6 or so APs, how awesome will #100 be??

Is there any truth to the rumor that the "deity" featured in that will be none other than the upper echeleon of Paizo, including yourself??

Don't think I'm not on to you all, each Path details divinity in parts 2 and 4. #100, if my math is correct(which it might not be, as I suck at math), would be part 4 of the AP began in #96. Therefore it is highly possible my above question bears much truth.

Sovereign Court

Monkeygod wrote:

James, being that we know that you know the next 6 or so APs, how awesome will #100 be??

Is there any truth to the rumor that the "deity" featured in that will be none other than the upper echeleon of Paizo, including yourself??

Don't think I'm not on to you all, each Path details divinity in parts 2 and 4. #100, if my math is correct(which it might not be, as I suck at math), would be part 4 of the AP began in #96. Therefore it is highly possible my above question bears much truth.

Are you saying that we'll get stats for the purple golem?

James, will we ever get stats for the purple golem?

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
GeraintElberion wrote:
Monkeygod wrote:

James, being that we know that you know the next 6 or so APs, how awesome will #100 be??

Is there any truth to the rumor that the "deity" featured in that will be none other than the upper echeleon of Paizo, including yourself??

Don't think I'm not on to you all, each Path details divinity in parts 2 and 4. #100, if my math is correct(which it might not be, as I suck at math), would be part 4 of the AP began in #96. Therefore it is highly possible my above question bears much truth.

Are you saying that we'll get stats for the purple golem?

James, will we ever get stats for the purple golem?

you mean this?


James Jacobs wrote:
AbsolutGrndZer0 wrote:
Any plans or thoughts about a pirate or at least sea-based adventure path (or module at least?) set in Shackes/Sodden Lands areas? With the Pirate archetype in Ultimate Combat, a Shackles based Adventure Path would be so cool, not to mention the chance to flesh out Port Peril :)
Yes. As mentioned above... the AP after Jade Regent is all about pirates and is set in the Shackles.

Arrrr! Can't wait!

Then another question, unrelated... Have you guys decided (or revealed anywhere that I missed) what Baba Yaga is race wise? Looking at her picture, I kinda think she might be an Annis Hag. Any insights you can give us at this time?

Contributor

Monkeygod wrote:

James, being that we know that you know the next 6 or so APs, how awesome will #100 be??

Is there any truth to the rumor that the "deity" featured in that will be none other than the upper echeleon of Paizo, including yourself??

Don't think I'm not on to you all, each Path details divinity in parts 2 and 4. #100, if my math is correct(which it might not be, as I suck at math), would be part 4 of the AP began in #96. Therefore it is highly possible my above question bears much truth.

Sorry to burst your bubble but, it is part 2 and part 5 that has a religion article.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Monkeygod wrote:

James, being that we know that you know the next 6 or so APs, how awesome will #100 be??

Is there any truth to the rumor that the "deity" featured in that will be none other than the upper echeleon of Paizo, including yourself??

Don't think I'm not on to you all, each Path details divinity in parts 2 and 4. #100, if my math is correct(which it might not be, as I suck at math), would be part 4 of the AP began in #96. Therefore it is highly possible my above question bears much truth.

Thing is that since we do APs in increments of six parts... apart from us trying to figure out how to fit a 3 digit number on the spine, I doubt we'll do much unusual for volume 100. We didn't really do much with #50, after all.

That said... while I have a good idea of what the next 6 APs will be, and while I have a good idea of about 6 more APs that can step in to take the place of any of the first 6 should they fall through... actually what's going into #100? Not sure yet. We're only just now half-way there, after all...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

GeraintElberion wrote:
Monkeygod wrote:

James, being that we know that you know the next 6 or so APs, how awesome will #100 be??

Is there any truth to the rumor that the "deity" featured in that will be none other than the upper echeleon of Paizo, including yourself??

Don't think I'm not on to you all, each Path details divinity in parts 2 and 4. #100, if my math is correct(which it might not be, as I suck at math), would be part 4 of the AP began in #96. Therefore it is highly possible my above question bears much truth.

Are you saying that we'll get stats for the purple golem?

James, will we ever get stats for the purple golem?

Yup. See above.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

AbsolutGrndZer0 wrote:
Then another question, unrelated... Have you guys decided (or revealed anywhere that I missed) what Baba Yaga is race wise? Looking at her picture, I kinda think she might be an Annis Hag. Any insights you can give us at this time?

I suspect that she's actually human, or at least partially so... but not of an ethnicity that is native to Golarion...


James Jacobs wrote:
ANebulousMistress wrote:
When is Kobolds of Golarion coming out?
Right after "Pugwampis: They Need Love Too!"

Is this a book that is meant to be compatible with the Book of Erotic Fantasy? :-)


MeanDM wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
ANebulousMistress wrote:
When is Kobolds of Golarion coming out?
Right after "Pugwampis: They Need Love Too!"
Is this a book that is meant to be compatible with the Book of Erotic Fantasy? :-)

I'm not sure whether to be horrified or... impressed by that.

Dark Archive

Will at least one of the runelords show up in The Shattered Star?


Jeremy Mcgillan wrote:
Will at least one of the runelords show up in The Shattered Star?

Please please pretty please?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Jeremy Mcgillan wrote:
Will at least one of the runelords show up in The Shattered Star?

There will be more information about the runelords revealed in Shattered Star... but actually having one of them show up is not gonna happen for this AP.


James Jacobs wrote:
AbsolutGrndZer0 wrote:
Then another question, unrelated... Have you guys decided (or revealed anywhere that I missed) what Baba Yaga is race wise? Looking at her picture, I kinda think she might be an Annis Hag. Any insights you can give us at this time?
I suspect that she's actually human, or at least partially so... but not of an ethnicity that is native to Golarion...

Oooh that's even better than her being a hag! Heh. But partially so... still leaves room for her to be a changeling too... either way, not being from Golarion is interesting.

Dark Archive

will it ever be possible to coax the paizo big guns to play in our (the fans) pbps? and if so, who should we go about doing it?


When using the Wounds and Vigor Optional System from Ultimate Combat, what about undead? Do they use their Charisma instead, like the normal rules, or do they not have wound points, just vigor?


James Jacobs wrote:
apart from us trying to figure out how to fit a 3 digit number on the spine, I doubt we'll do much unusual for volume 100.

For #100, I propose "00".

After that, you're on your own...

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
AbsolutGrndZer0 wrote:
When using the Wounds and Vigor Optional System from Ultimate Combat, what about undead? Do they use their Charisma instead, like the normal rules, or do they not have wound points, just vigor?

If going by it's original form in from the 3.5 SRD ordinary undead like skeles and zombies are simply destroyed at zero. Special Undead like Vampires and such use Charisma in place of constitution.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
ulgulanoth wrote:
will it ever be possible to coax the paizo big guns to play in our (the fans) pbps? and if so, who should we go about doing it?

They're really kind of busy folk. And I don't think they want to give the appearance of showing favoritism by doing so. On the other hand, they just might do so in disguise and never reveal themselves. :)

Keep a lookout, that character next to you might be a Dev, or just someone sporting a bow tie and fez.... because bow ties and fezzzes are cool.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

AbsolutGrndZer0 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
AbsolutGrndZer0 wrote:
Then another question, unrelated... Have you guys decided (or revealed anywhere that I missed) what Baba Yaga is race wise? Looking at her picture, I kinda think she might be an Annis Hag. Any insights you can give us at this time?
I suspect that she's actually human, or at least partially so... but not of an ethnicity that is native to Golarion...

Oooh that's even better than her being a hag! Heh. But partially so... still leaves room for her to be a changeling too... either way, not being from Golarion is interesting.

Turns out people in Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms and on Earth know about Baba Yaga too... and I'm pretty sure those aren't the only other worlds she's visited.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ulgulanoth wrote:
will it ever be possible to coax the paizo big guns to play in our (the fans) pbps? and if so, who should we go about doing it?

If you want to go about inviting Paizo employees to a pbps game, all you have to do is ask. That said... we're crazy busy and on top of that most of us are involved in several games already—I can't speak for everyone at Paizo, but my schedule pretty much won't allow me adding another game at this point, even if it's "just" a pbps.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

AbsolutGrndZer0 wrote:
When using the Wounds and Vigor Optional System from Ultimate Combat, what about undead? Do they use their Charisma instead, like the normal rules, or do they not have wound points, just vigor?

I actually haven't read the wounds and vigor system. I have no interest in it, and it never actually hit my desk during the edit/development rounds. That said, it does make sense that undead would indeed use Charisma; but otherwise I'd treat them the same as anyone else; the system isn't meant to suddenly make an entire creature type harder or easier to defeat, after all. And if it does... then the system is broken.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
AbsolutGrndZer0 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
AbsolutGrndZer0 wrote:
Then another question, unrelated... Have you guys decided (or revealed anywhere that I missed) what Baba Yaga is race wise? Looking at her picture, I kinda think she might be an Annis Hag. Any insights you can give us at this time?
I suspect that she's actually human, or at least partially so... but not of an ethnicity that is native to Golarion...

Oooh that's even better than her being a hag! Heh. But partially so... still leaves room for her to be a changeling too... either way, not being from Golarion is interesting.

Turns out people in Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms and on Earth know about Baba Yaga too... and I'm pretty sure those aren't the only other worlds she's visited.

Worlds... Smworlds... All of these places are inferior to Mother Russia!.

Dark Archive

Any chance you can convince wizkids to produce a kick@$$ mini of Nocticula?


In your games do handyhaversacks make good pillows being extradimensional spaces?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

doctor_wu wrote:
In your games do handyhaversacks make good pillows being extradimensional spaces?

Nope; they always feel empty.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Jeremy Mcgillan wrote:
Any chance you can convince wizkids to produce a kick@$$ mini of Nocticula?

That would rock.

10,401 to 10,450 of 83,732 << first < prev | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards