>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

9,151 to 9,200 of 83,732 << first < prev | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | next > last >>

James Jacobs wrote:
Marshall Fundaburk wrote:
Ixinix is the lord of blackwater, dead demon lord we've been talking about that helped banish The Malgoth. You said it was a giant sentient oil slick blob thing. I thought maybe he would've been allied with Juiblex before it died, since Ixinix kinda seems like a big demonic black pudding?
Ah... well, the fact that I didn't recognize Ixinix's name should more or less tell you what I know about him; he's one of the "new names" I threw in there for future designers to explore, in other words. The big black oil blob thing is about all the thought I've put into that one.

Ixinix is probably more like a reekmurk than a black pudding then, huh?

I saw the picture of The Malgoth in the Dungeon magazine you spoke of. It was really cool. Haven't had time to read the whole adventure yet but it looks very interesting. Since that is The Malgoth's weakened incorporeal form, it's probably safe to say that it's older more powerful, physical form was similar-looking but stronger, right?

I guess you're not interested on commenting on my homebrew demons, and that's ok, just know that I'd definitely hold your criticism in much higher esteem than practically anyones, even though I didn't really give much information about them. I would if you wanted me to, though.

What are your top 10 favorite demon lords? from D&D, Pathfinder, or anywhere else.

What are your top 10 favorite abyssal layers? from D&D, Pathfinder, or anywhere else.

What is it that makes Zionin so dangerous besides the ekolids and Obox-ob? Or is it them and other hostile monsters, whatever they may be, that make it so deadly that the Fraternity Of Order bans it from exploration?

And besides Zionin, what are some other extremely dangerous layers of The Abyss?


This came up last evening's session where it was important to know if the weapon was still in-hand when a character went unconscious due to non-lethal damage exceeding their current hit-points.

We couldn't find anywhere in the book that said that you actually drop your weapon like it specifically says for Stunning.

Common sense would say you drop your weapon in your square, but RAW we couldn't find a ruling.

Should something like this be errata'd?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Marshall Fundaburk wrote:
Ixinix is probably more like a reekmurk than a black pudding then, huh?

Yup. In the same way that Yeenoghu is "like a gnoll" or Baphomet is "like a minotaur."

Marshall Fundaburk wrote:
I saw the picture of The Malgoth in the Dungeon magazine you spoke of. It was really cool. Haven't had time to read the whole adventure yet but it looks very interesting. Since that is The Malgoth's weakened incorporeal form, it's probably safe to say that it's older more powerful, physical form was similar-looking but stronger, right?

Yup!

Marshall Fundaburk wrote:
I guess you're not interested on commenting on my homebrew demons, and that's ok, just know that I'd definitely hold your criticism in much higher esteem than practically anyones, even though I didn't really give much information about them. I would if you wanted me to, though.

I generally try to avoid getting into too much feedback about other folks' creations unless they're actually writing for Paizo, sorry.

Marshall Fundaburk wrote:
What are your top 10 favorite demon lords? from D&D, Pathfinder, or anywhere else.

D&D (3rd edition and earlier): Demogorgon, Malcanthet, Obox-ob, Pazuzu, Lolth, Fraz-Urb'luu, Juiblex, Kostchtchie, Dagon, and Zuggtmoy

Pathfinder: Nocticula, Lamashtu, Cyth-V'sug, Angazhan, Zura, Dagon, Pazuzu, Kabriri, Sifkesh, Kostchtchie.

Marshall Fundaburk wrote:
What are your top 10 favorite abyssal layers? from D&D, Pathfinder, or anywhere else.

D&D (3rd edition and earlier): Plain of Infinite Portals, Azzagrat, Demonweb Pits, Wells of Darkness, Gaping Maw, Shadowsea, Hollow's Heart, Shendilavri, Zionin, Thanatos, and Torremor

Pathfinder: Basalfeyst, Gluttondark, High M'Vania, Ishiar, Jeharlu, Kurnugia, Midnight Isles, Sekatar-Seraktis, Vantian, and Yad Iagnoth

Marshall Fundaburk wrote:
What is it that makes Zionin so dangerous besides the ekolids and Obox-ob? Or is it them and other hostile monsters, whatever they may be, that make it so deadly that the Fraternity Of Order bans it from exploration?

Everything—it's just super hostile to mortal exploration. I made it this way mostly because I needed an in-world reason why, if Obox-ob and Zionin were so important to the Abyss's history, we'd never really heard about either until relatively recently. By making the layer super deadly and dangerous, it became the "no one who goes there ever comes back" which makes it difficult for stories of it to spread, which would explain why neither was really ever mentioned before I came along during 3.5 and started really writing about demons.

Marshall Fundaburk wrote:
And besides Zionin, what are some other extremely dangerous layers of The Abyss?

Generally, any layer claimed by a demon lord or demon prince (for Pathifnder, it's all demon lords—I never really liked how "lords" were less powerful than "princes.") is more dangerous than one that's not. Following my notes above, I'd say that other layers we haven't heard anything at all about are probably equally likely to be either super dangerous/hostile or just boring and not really worth much talking about.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

harmor wrote:

This came up last evening's session where it was important to know if the weapon was still in-hand when a character went unconscious due to non-lethal damage exceeding their current hit-points.

We couldn't find anywhere in the book that said that you actually drop your weapon like it specifically says for Stunning.

Common sense would say you drop your weapon in your square, but RAW we couldn't find a ruling.

Should something like this be errata'd?

It doesn't need errata at all, any more than we need to say "if you fall unconscious, you become prone."

At some point, common sense HAS to step in and help things out. If it can't and won't, then the rulebook needs to be a lot bigger so as to cover every possible thing that could come up. And the rulebook's quite big enough already.

In this case, common sense does indeed imply that you drop your weapon in your square; it's not a choice in this case and since it's not a choice, it (like water flowing in the path of least resistance) just goes straight down thanks to gravity and lands in your square.

If you have more than one square, I suppose that you could pick which one you wanted, though.


A template idea what do you think the cr change would be?

Runt
-10 str, -3 con
BAB -5
can't wield weapons of your size catagory.

Sovereign Court

James Jacobs wrote:
Gern Blacktusk wrote:
I get what you're saying about the Drow as well. For how many years have they been the 'chocolate-skinned white-haired red-eyed Demon Elves'? It's almost embedded in the average Gamer's mind that that is the visage of the Drow race as a whole.
I would say that's embedded in the average gamer's mind because that's actaully what drow are, of course. Just as dragons are reptilian flying breath weapon users, and medusae turn you to stone. Drow have been what they are since their very first introduction into the game over 30 years ago in the third adventure in the "Against the Giants" series (barring some, in my opinion, missteps with how they work in Eberron).

I'm not sure that the art team are on the same page as James here.

Golarion's drow seem to be black as midnight, often shifting into dark purple or even dark blue.

They don't have skin-tones that would be recognisable in real-world humans in the way that 'chocolate-skinned' implies.

Waddya reackon?

Liberty's Edge

GeraintElberion wrote:


Golarion's drow seem to be black as midnight, often shifting into dark purple or even dark blue.

They don't have skin-tones that would be recognisable in real-world humans in the way that 'chocolate-skinned' implies.

While rare I have seen a few person with skin so black that it take a blue overtone. Fairly impressive.

---

James, yesterday we were playing a high level adventure and the main villain used Penultimate Incantation (the level 20 power for people taking Demon Obedience with Abraxas as a patron). We were impressed by the level of damage this power can do while debuffing the target.

As my guys are level 16, operating in the underdark and so on even the less buffed of them as something like 7-8 spells running.
As the caster level of the guy using the power is 20 (and so she need a 6+ to dispel a spell) it is almost guaranteed that she will get to dispel 5 spells, for an average of over 150 point of fire damage.

The guy targeted by the effect felt that the damage should be mitigated by his spell resistance (he had a Spell resistance spell that survived the dispelling), I think that should not apply (I see the damage as a kind of magical backlash from the brutally cancelled spells) but I think that a ST for half damage would be a reasonable rule.
Probably a Fortitude save, as I think you can't escape the backlash but you can endure it, DC for a 9th level spell.

What do you think?

BTW: the guys was very happy he had a ring of Major Energy resistance: fire.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dies Irae wrote:

Due to my regular group's tendency to take a shining towards NPCs almost entirely at random, I now face a rather odd situation.

In this case, the group has taken a shining towards Halloran Idriss, Vampiric Paladin. This I expected since half the players in the group have a World of Darkness background in one form or the other. Anyhow, the party managed to get Halloran an atonement... The party's Paladin of Iomedae however, is entirely adamant in not letting him die.

The standard Vampire feeds on blood as part of a compulsion. That part I understand and the text does mention that deprived of this, Halloran will eventually crack and give in to his vampiric urges.

The Paladin however is of the understanding that while it would lock down several of her own spell slots for Restorations, offering her own blood for Halloran to feed on would keep him from going on to perpetuate greater evil...

The players seem dead-set of keeping Hal around, leaving myself as the DM at a quandary. The party's been nothing but respectful to the NPCs so far. They're a mature group... But at the same time, would it cheapen the entire nature of vampires and the 'horror' theme of the adventure if their response to the horrific curse of vampirism was a 3rd Level Paladin Spell and the Leadership feat?

It's strange that a paladin would argue to extend ANY undead creature's unlife. Why wouldn't she argue to put the vamprire to rest and then, maybe, resurrect/raise the body?

In any case... if you do let them continue to adventure with this guy, I suggest letting them do so if the group seems to be enjoying it. If you're worried about the loss of horror... you might want to have the paladin relapse? Or perhaps have his vampire "allies" come to "rescue" him? And you should ABSOLUTELY have the church of Iomedae start looking into the situation; and frankly, the paladin of Iomedae in your group should probably start having some alignment issues more or less immediately. If it were my game, I'd let them continue on with the minion, but the paladin would probably lose her paladin class abilities for becoming more and more chaotic.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

GeraintElberion wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Gern Blacktusk wrote:
I get what you're saying about the Drow as well. For how many years have they been the 'chocolate-skinned white-haired red-eyed Demon Elves'? It's almost embedded in the average Gamer's mind that that is the visage of the Drow race as a whole.
I would say that's embedded in the average gamer's mind because that's actaully what drow are, of course. Just as dragons are reptilian flying breath weapon users, and medusae turn you to stone. Drow have been what they are since their very first introduction into the game over 30 years ago in the third adventure in the "Against the Giants" series (barring some, in my opinion, missteps with how they work in Eberron).

I'm not sure that the art team are on the same page as James here.

Golarion's drow seem to be black as midnight, often shifting into dark purple or even dark blue.

They don't have skin-tones that would be recognisable in real-world humans in the way that 'chocolate-skinned' implies.

Waddya reackon?

Actually, the Art Team IS on the same page as me. They're not on the same page with Gern Blacktusk, perhaps. Pathfinder/Golarion drow ARE black skinned and generally have white eyes. (Some artists prefer to depict "black" skin with shades of dark blue or dark purple—since humans come in a lot of different skin colors, I don't see a problem with drow being a mix of black, dark blue, or dark purple.)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Diego Rossi wrote:

James, yesterday we were playing a high level adventure and the main villain used Penultimate Incantation (the level 20 power for people taking Demon Obedience with Abraxas as a patron). We were impressed by the level of damage this power can do while debuffing the target.

As my guys are level 16, operating in the underdark and so on even the less buffed of them as something like 7-8 spells running.
As the caster level of the guy using the power is 20 (and so she need a 6+ to dispel a spell) it is almost guaranteed that she will get to dispel 5 spells, for an average of over 150 point of fire damage.

The guy targeted by the effect felt that the damage should be mitigated by his spell resistance (he had a Spell resistance spell that survived the dispelling), I think that should not apply (I see the damage as a kind of magical backlash from the brutally cancelled spells) but I think that a ST for half damage would be a reasonable rule.
Probably a Fortitude save, as I think you can't escape the backlash but you can endure it, DC for a 9th level spell.

What do you think?

BTW: the guys was very happy he had a ring of Major Energy resistance: fire.

Spell resistance doesn't matter against penultimate incantation at all. At 20th level, being able to do 150 points of damage is not all that outlandish, and since fire damage is the most common energy type to run into immunities or resistances to... I'm okay with it doing lots of damage.

Of course, each of the dispelled effects are a seperate fire damage, so fire resistance, if any, should apply to each spell effect, which could end up making the whole thing little more than a regular dispel in some cases...

Liberty's Edge

James Jacobs wrote:


Spell resistance doesn't matter against penultimate incantation at all. At 20th level, being able to do 150 points of damage is not all that outlandish, and since fire damage is the most common energy type to run into immunities or resistances to... I'm okay with it doing lots of damage.

Of course, each of the dispelled effects are a seperate fire damage, so fire resistance, if any, should apply to each spell effect, which could end up making the whole thing little more than a regular dispel in some cases...

My battles tend to last several rounds, so the BEEG will probably get to use the power 3 times.

spoiler:
Actually she is a buffed up Allevrah in one of his secondary glypths, so it is almost guaranteed she will get to use her power more than once.

Maybe the simplest solution is playing her as more "conservative" of her powers and not using the power again in this encounter.

The combo of debuffing 5 spells and inflicting damage doing that seem fairly powerful.
It is true that, now they have seen the effect, it is almost guaranteed they will try to mitigate it with some for of fire resistance.

Thanks for the reply.


1)James have you ever seen the movie Coraline? if so what did you think?

2)Do Oni always have to be based on a humaniod type creature? what about monstrous humaniod, fey, or animal types?

3)Will you guys be bringing back the spirit subtype? or anything like it?

4)What kind of asian creatures will be classifed as Fey? Kappa? Yuki-onna?

5)Is there any chance for a tiny size phoenix like familiar? what about some more tiny size dragons as familiars?

6)Will we ever see dragons with 3 or more heads?

7)What movies have you seen this year? what will you see by the end of this year?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dragon78 wrote:

1)James have you ever seen the movie Coraline? if so what did you think?

2)Do Oni always have to be based on a humaniod type creature? what about monstrous humaniod, fey, or animal types?

3)Will you guys be bringing back the spirit subtype? or anything like it?

4)What kind of asian creatures will be classifed as Fey? Kappa? Yuki-onna?

5)Is there any chance for a tiny size phoenix like familiar? what about some more tiny size dragons as familiars?

6)Will we ever see dragons with 3 or more heads?

7)What movies have you seen this year? what will you see by the end of this year?

1) Yes; I liked it.

2) Yes; oni are always based on humanoids. That's part of what defines them as a race. We won't be doing monstrous humanoid, fey, or animal oni.

3) Nope. Had we been thinking about it at the start, we might have put the spirit subtype in, but now that we're going on 5 years of having Pathfinder in print as a game with no spirit subtype... that ship's pretty much sailed. I don't want to introduce a new rules element that obsoletes existing rules. We kind of tinkered in that arena by adding new spell descriptors like [poison] and [curse] in Ultimate Magic, and folks were kind of annoyed by that.

4) What gets classified as a fey from Asian mythology is a decision we'll be making on an individual, monster-by-monster basis.

5) Pseudodragons already exist. As for a tiny phoenix? No plans for that yet.

6) Yes.

7) I've seen a lot of movies this year. Probably 25 or 30. I'll likely be seeing about that many more in the second half of the year.


Well I mean other than Pseudodragons and Faerie dragons. Or at least somekind of subspecies.

Have you seen previews for "Hugo", "the Pirates a band of misfits"(it's kinda like wallace and gromit), "the thing prequal", "A monster in paris"(animated cgi french film), "Sherlock holmes a game of shadows" or Pixar's "Brave"?

What do the Tian Xia cultures call Ogre mages in there language since they are a type of Oni not "the Oni"?

Will we see any new types of Hags(other than the Harrowing) in the near future?

We have stats for the Jabberwocky but what about the Cheshire cat or the Bandersnatch?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:

Well I mean other than Pseudodragons and Faerie dragons. Or at least somekind of subspecies.

Have you seen previews for "Hugo", "the Pirates a band of misfits"(it's kinda like wallace and gromit), "the thing prequal", "A monster in paris"(animated cgi french film), "Sherlock holmes a game of shadows" or Pixar's "Brave"?

What do the Tian Xia cultures call Ogre mages in there language since they are a type of Oni not "the Oni"?

Will we see any new types of Hags(other than the Harrowing) in the near future?

We have stats for the Jabberwocky but what about the Cheshire cat or the Bandersnatch?

We'll do more of those guys now and then, yes.

Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no.

They just call them ogre magi. We're not going to translate that into Tien since we also won't be doing that for "dog" or "dragon" or "snake" or any other word we already use.

Yes.

Stay tuned...


Has Paizo statted up the Sheet Phantom & Ghoul for PFRPG yet, and if so where?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Charles Evans 25 wrote:

Has Paizo statted up the Sheet Phantom & Ghoul for PFRPG yet, and if so where?

I'm relatively sure there's not an OGL version of a Sheet Phantom or a Sheet Ghoul for us to stat up.


James Jacobs wrote:
Charles Evans 25 wrote:

Has Paizo statted up the Sheet Phantom & Ghoul for PFRPG yet, and if so where?

I'm relatively sure there's not an OGL version of a Sheet Phantom or a Sheet Ghoul for us to stat up.

I inquire since I was going over some early third edition D&D Dragon magazines recently and came across the 'Ecology of...' article in one of them. Would the Sheet Phantom & Ghoul have been statted up (for third edition) just for the article then? This was around the release of third edition and I don't recall it being in the Monster Manual?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Charles Evans 25 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Charles Evans 25 wrote:

Has Paizo statted up the Sheet Phantom & Ghoul for PFRPG yet, and if so where?

I'm relatively sure there's not an OGL version of a Sheet Phantom or a Sheet Ghoul for us to stat up.

I inquire since I was going over some early third edition D&D Dragon magazines recently and came across the 'Ecology of...' article in one of them. Would the Sheet Phantom & Ghoul have been statted up (for third edition) just for the article then? This was around the release of third edition and I don't recall it being in the Monster Manual?

Yup; the sheet phantom and sheet ghoul were not all that popular as far as monsters go, honestly. The writer of the monster ecology articles around that time had a particular fondness for goofier monsters, like the sheet phantom or the gorbel. As far as I know, that article was the last time anyone did anything with sheet phantoms and sheet ghouls.


James,

Trample seems like it has some unique problems in Pathfinder.

With the Trample feat:

Does a mount without a hoof or claw attack and only a bite attack, get a free bite attack?

Do the rider and the mount take AOOs?

Do you use the rider or the mounts size for determining the size of the target that can be trampled?

Do you use the rider or the mounts CMB for determining if the feat is successful?

Thanks in advance.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Riggler wrote:

James,

Trample seems like it has some unique problems in Pathfinder.

With the Trample feat:

Does a mount without a hoof or claw attack and only a bite attack, get a free bite attack?

Do the rider and the mount take AOOs?

Do you use the rider or the mounts size for determining the size of the target that can be trampled?

Do you use the rider or the mounts CMB for determining if the feat is successful?

Thanks in advance.

First of all, an overrun attempt (which is how you use the Trample feat) is a standard action. That means neither you nor your mount get to also make attacks of any kind beyond the free hoof attack your mount gets to make against any target you knock down. It's also normal movement, so you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal (unless you have the Improved Overrun feat as well).

Size doesn't matter at all for this feat; unlike the monster special attack which is also (unfortunately) called trample, this feat only cares if you knock someone down with your overrun combat move. You'd use either the rider's or the mounts CMB, whichever is higher.


James Jacobs wrote:
Diego Rossi wrote:

Assuming I am not using UMD, the sash (and the other items that add levels to some class ability) work or not?

i.e. I have no level as a fighter, using the Sash I get the armor training and bravery class features of a level 4 fighter?

Nope; if an item adds effective power to a class ability, you more or less need that class ability for it to work.

But if they *do* use UMD, the UMD user would have armor training and bravery as a level 4 fighter?

I'm still trying to figure out specifically if a non-Oracle using UMD could use a Ring of Revelations to get a revelation. And more generally, which items exactly can be used with the "emulate class feature" part of UMD. As it stands, there doesn't seem to be any items that work with that unambiguously.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Cheapy wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Diego Rossi wrote:

Assuming I am not using UMD, the sash (and the other items that add levels to some class ability) work or not?

i.e. I have no level as a fighter, using the Sash I get the armor training and bravery class features of a level 4 fighter?

Nope; if an item adds effective power to a class ability, you more or less need that class ability for it to work.

But if they *do* use UMD, the UMD user would have armor training and bravery as a level 4 fighter?

I'm still trying to figure out specifically if a non-Oracle using UMD could use a Ring of Revelations to get a revelation. And more generally, which items exactly can be used with the "emulate class feature" part of UMD. As it stands, there doesn't seem to be any items that work with that unambiguously.

Yeah; and on purpose. We generally don't want to make it super easy to gain class abilities without taking levels in said classes. The ring of revelations is a great example; you can Use Magic Device to activate it, but you won't get much use out of it if you aren't an oracle.


Hi James. Are we likely to see any rules for "social combat"? Something with some depth like regular combat? How about more advanced rules for kingdom building?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Marshall Fundaburk wrote:
Ixinix is the lord of blackwater, dead demon lord we've been talking about that helped banish The Malgoth. You said it was a giant sentient oil slick blob thing. I thought maybe he would've been allied with Juiblex before it died, since Ixinix kinda seems like a big demonic black pudding?
Ah... well, the fact that I didn't recognize Ixinix's name should more or less tell you what I know about him; he's one of the "new names" I threw in there for future designers to explore, in other words. The big black oil blob thing is about all the thought I've put into that one.

I could swear I've heard the name before, Isn't he one of the Lords (I think Magma) of Evil Para-Elementals described in the classic Fiend Folio?


1)How do guys deside what monsters are in and what are left out when making a Beastairy? what are the exact processes that you guys use?

2)What is your favorite "new" playable race(s) that are not one of the core races? what is favorite core race?

3)Which is the "safest" or least dangerous continet on Golarian? Is there a place you can call "Eden"?

4)Will the Advanced races book have any rules/guidlines for playing races that have racial HD or that are Humaniod by type and/or shape?

5)Will there be any more Linnorms or Primal dragons(crystal, umbral,etc.) in the Beastairy III?

6)So what are the odds that we will have an entire AP devoted to one "Mega" dungeon?

7)Why are the Elemetal lords always evil? I always looked at the elemental planes as nuetral, just because something isn't evil doesn't mean it will not kill you.

8)So are any of the Fey lords actually Fey or are they mostly Outsiders except for the one dragon?

9)Are there any non human cultures on Golarian that are not religious or just do not grasp the concept of religion?

10)Is there a demiplane of time in pathfinder?


James - I hope your weeks get better.
Suggestion : Can you as the web administrators to link the Blogs relevant to a product to that products FAQ page please (Such as the Cantrips from Ultimate Magic)
Question: Will the map of the area to the East of the River Kingdoms be released? (From searching the forums and Blogs it looks like the old map has Mountains for Hills and it doesn't tie up with the updated "Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Region Poster Map")


What month makes the most sense for the Jenivere's completion of its 4-month journey? Are there seasonal factors in the voyage to Eleder from Magnimar?

SSAP Spoiler-free please, I'm happy to be a player in that one.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Alan_Beven wrote:
Hi James. Are we likely to see any rules for "social combat"? Something with some depth like regular combat? How about more advanced rules for kingdom building?

Not very likely. I actually am quite fond of how the social mechanics in the game work—they are very fluid and encourage roleplay and the like. Building a "social combat" system would bring to roleplaying encounters the same type of optimization and rules-enslavery type mentality to that part of the game that already dogs the combat rules, and that's not something I want to see happen.

I DO hope that some day the kingdom building rules from Kingmaker will be revised and expanded upon for use in a hardcover book. I also hope that those rules will be a bit simplified and streamlined. More options, less complexity.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Marshall Fundaburk wrote:
Ixinix is the lord of blackwater, dead demon lord we've been talking about that helped banish The Malgoth. You said it was a giant sentient oil slick blob thing. I thought maybe he would've been allied with Juiblex before it died, since Ixinix kinda seems like a big demonic black pudding?
Ah... well, the fact that I didn't recognize Ixinix's name should more or less tell you what I know about him; he's one of the "new names" I threw in there for future designers to explore, in other words. The big black oil blob thing is about all the thought I've put into that one.
I could swear I've heard the name before, Isn't he one of the Lords (I think Magma) of Evil Para-Elementals described in the classic Fiend Folio?

The Malgoth is an ex-demon lord, more or less. It's kind of complicated, and I don't want to reveal TOO much since I don't want to spoil the 3 Dungeon adventures he was the star of.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

David Thomassen wrote:

James - I hope your weeks get better.

Suggestion : Can you as the web administrators to link the Blogs relevant to a product to that products FAQ page please (Such as the Cantrips from Ultimate Magic)
Question: Will the map of the area to the East of the River Kingdoms be released? (From searching the forums and Blogs it looks like the old map has Mountains for Hills and it doesn't tie up with the updated "Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Region Poster Map")

I do too. They're getting there, in any case.

I'll see what I can do about linking Blogs to FAQ pages, but since we do 2 blogs a day, that might not be all that feasible. I don't know what kind of time pressures the web team is under, but if they're anything like the editorial and art team, those pressures are significant.

The area east of the River Kingdoms is part of the continent of Casmaron. We've done a little bit of detail on that in Pathfinder #33, but beyond that... further detail has to wait until we decide to start detailing the continent of Casmaron. And since right now we're up to our eyebrows dealing with the Inner Sea AND with Tian Xia, we'll not be going to Casmaron anytime soon. Seeing how folks react to Tian Xia books will help us make the decision to expand into other continents... but that's also a weird situation. If folks don't like Tian Xia, we'll be a lot more hesitant to try to do something similar for Casmaron. If folks LOVE Tian Xia, we'll be a lot more pressed to support Tian Xia AND the Inner Sea region with more books, which by default would leave us less time to look to Casmaron anytime soon.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Evil Lincoln wrote:

What month makes the most sense for the Jenivere's completion of its 4-month journey? Are there seasonal factors in the voyage to Eleder from Magnimar?

SSAP Spoiler-free please, I'm happy to be a player in that one.

"Souls for Smuggler's Shiv" assumes the adventure starts in late summer or early fall... but the actual start date is kind of irrelevant. The Jenivere can arrive whenever it wants, really.

The Exchange

James Jacobs wrote:
Alan_Beven wrote:
Hi James. Are we likely to see any rules for "social combat"? Something with some depth like regular combat? How about more advanced rules for kingdom building?

Not very likely. I actually am quite fond of how the social mechanics in the game work—they are very fluid and encourage roleplay and the like. Building a "social combat" system would bring to roleplaying encounters the same type of optimization and rules-enslavery type mentality to that part of the game that already dogs the combat rules, and that's not something I want to see happen.

@Alan - Take a look at Song of Fire and Ice RPG. It has rules for intrigue, seduction, etc. - the kinds of social combat that you are looking for. They are detailed, but still work off a combination of role-playing and skill checks. Disclaimer - I bought the book for these rules. I've read and like them, but have not played them yet.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:

1)How do guys deside what monsters are in and what are left out when making a Beastairy? what are the exact processes that you guys use?

2)What is your favorite "new" playable race(s) that are not one of the core races? what is favorite core race?

3)Which is the "safest" or least dangerous continet on Golarian? Is there a place you can call "Eden"?

4)Will the Advanced races book have any rules/guidlines for playing races that have racial HD or that are Humaniod by type and/or shape?

5)Will there be any more Linnorms or Primal dragons(crystal, umbral,etc.) in the Beastairy III?

6)So what are the odds that we will have an entire AP devoted to one "Mega" dungeon?

7)Why are the Elemetal lords always evil? I always looked at the elemental planes as nuetral, just because something isn't evil doesn't mean it will not kill you.

8)So are any of the Fey lords actually Fey or are they mostly Outsiders except for the one dragon?

9)Are there any non human cultures on Golarian that are not religious or just do not grasp the concept of religion?

10)Is there a demiplane of time in pathfinder?

1) We usually have a big meeting with all the editorial staff where we brainstorm several hundred monsters, then usually me and Wes sit down and pick and choose the ones that are the best.

2) Tengu from the "new" races; Human for core.

3) Avistan is probably the least dangerous one. There's not an Eden on Golarion, since that place wouldn't have any adventure opportunities and thus would have no place in a game world.

4) Maybe; we'll be saying more later.

5) More linnorms. We have no plans to add more primal dragons, though. Five is more or less the limit for any one group of dragons.

6) Quite high.

7) Because that makes them more interesting. I like the idea that, perhaps, there were good and maybe even neutral elemental lords once upon a time, but the evil ones killed them and aren't letting new ones rise up. Certainly makes for more interesting adventure potential.

8) The Eldest are deities and demigods. What creature types they might be is unknown. They could be anything. We haven't statted them up yet, and probably never will.

9) Yup; Rahadoum.

10) Yes. It's detailed briefly in "The Great Beyond."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Can you start work on the AP that deals with "A monstrous metal scorpion capable of spitting fire from its mouth and tail destroys several villages in western Numeria"?


Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Justin Franklin wrote:
Can you start work on the AP that deals with "A monstrous metal scorpion capable of spitting fire from its mouth and tail destroys several villages in western Numeria"?

Please? :-D

Edit: I thought the Red Redoubt was very, very cool by the way. I'd love to see more Numeria!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Justin Franklin wrote:
Can you start work on the AP that deals with "A monstrous metal scorpion capable of spitting fire from its mouth and tail destroys several villages in western Numeria"?

I can't say if I have or haven't even if I did.


Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
Can you start work on the AP that deals with "A monstrous metal scorpion capable of spitting fire from its mouth and tail destroys several villages in western Numeria"?
I can't say if I have or haven't even if I did.

Oh you don't have to say, just start on it. ;)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Justin Franklin wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
Can you start work on the AP that deals with "A monstrous metal scorpion capable of spitting fire from its mouth and tail destroys several villages in western Numeria"?
I can't say if I have or haven't even if I did.
Oh you don't have to say, just start on it. ;)

Wouldn't ordering a piece of art about a giant scorpion and then talking about it in the Inner Sea World Guide in the section on Numeria count? Because I did that already.


Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
Can you start work on the AP that deals with "A monstrous metal scorpion capable of spitting fire from its mouth and tail destroys several villages in western Numeria"?
I can't say if I have or haven't even if I did.
Oh you don't have to say, just start on it. ;)
Wouldn't ordering a piece of art about a giant scorpion and then talking about it in the Inner Sea World Guide in the section on Numeria count? Because I did that already.

Oh fine use logic. ;) Whenever it does come out I am looking forward to it and will not be cancelling my subscription over it.

Any idea when you guys are going to announce the next batch of forthcoming products? I would guess GenCon.


James Jacobs wrote:
Alan_Beven wrote:
Hi James. Are we likely to see any rules for "social combat"? Something with some depth like regular combat? How about more advanced rules for kingdom building?

Not very likely. I actually am quite fond of how the social mechanics in the game work—they are very fluid and encourage roleplay and the like. Building a "social combat" system would bring to roleplaying encounters the same type of optimization and rules-enslavery type mentality to that part of the game that already dogs the combat rules, and that's not something I want to see happen.

I DO hope that some day the kingdom building rules from Kingmaker will be revised and expanded upon for use in a hardcover book. I also hope that those rules will be a bit simplified and streamlined. More options, less complexity.

That would be great! I am GMing a game where the PCs are developing a kingdom of their own in Varisia. I am using the kingmaker rules with quite a bit of home brew added.

Some advice from you if I may. I am struggling in the roleplaying sections of the game with regard to how my players are choosing to play their characters. One character is playing a 7 charisma and 10 intelligence/wisdom barbarian. They currently have challenges such as build up an army, negotiate trade routes and preside over court cases. This player is roleplaying these things well outside how a barbarian of those stats would do it. Talking to the player has not yielded great results, hence why I am looking to employ some game mechanics to effectively say "your character does not do that as well as you just put it". How would you go about handling this scenario?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Justin Franklin wrote:
Any idea when you guys are going to announce the next batch of forthcoming products? I would guess GenCon.

Yup; we'll be making a LOT of announcements at Gen Con.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Alan_Beven wrote:
Some advice from you if I may. I am struggling in the roleplaying sections of the game with regard to how my players are choosing to play their characters. One character is playing a 7 charisma and 10 intelligence/wisdom barbarian. They currently have challenges such as build up an army, negotiate trade routes and preside over court cases. This player is roleplaying these things well outside how a barbarian of those stats would do it. Talking to the player has not yielded great results, hence why I am looking to employ some game mechanics to effectively say "your character does not do that as well as you just put it". How would you go about handling this scenario?

First of all... have you told your players what you have in store? Most players generally assume a game will probably be lots of combat and that's that; if you want to skew more toward political intrigues and the like, you need to let your players know beforehand. It DOES sound like you've done this, though.

At which point my suggestion would be to rely pretty heavily on the Charisma skills (Bluff, Intimidate, Diplomacy) and knowledge skills like Knowledge (local, nobility, etc.); if these players have to make those rolls a lot and keep failing them, they'll hopefully get the point.

And if you have some players in the group who ARE good at the diplomacy, then I think I'd just let things go. If the diplomacy focused characters are forced to sit through combats now and then, then turnabout is fair play in making the combat mongers sit through political intrigue.

THAT said... I heartily recommend reading George Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, or just watching the first season of HBO's "Game of Thrones." Those stories are probably the BEST examples out there today of the type of fantasy politic-heavy plots that Kingmaker was specifically inspired by. And there are more or less non-stop examples of how crass and non-charasmatic thugs interact with politics throughout those stories; lots of great inspiration there.


Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
Any idea when you guys are going to announce the next batch of forthcoming products? I would guess GenCon.
Yup; we'll be making a LOT of announcements at Gen Con.

Well I look forward to adding them to my list of eventually arriving products.


James Jacobs wrote:


Yeah; and on purpose. We generally don't want to make it super easy to gain class abilities without taking levels in said classes. The ring of revelations is a great example; you can Use Magic Device to activate it, but you won't get much use out of it if you aren't an oracle.

Sound reasoning, and getting three feats for free for 10k (Battle Oracle's Weapon Mastery) is pretty cheap.

I'm still at loss for what items *do* work with this, but I suspect I'll have to scour the books a bit more.

Thanks for answering!

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Alan_Beven wrote:
Hi James. Are we likely to see any rules for "social combat"? Something with some depth like regular combat? How about more advanced rules for kingdom building?

As a bit of trivia the Cubicle 7 version of the Dr.Who actually had mechanics for social combat usualy around a Presence vs. Resolve contest.


I think my previous question got lost in the posts since, so will re-ask.

I am wanting to know if Paizo has lists anywhere posted like these ...

Compiled Lists

Lists such as these would help Paizo i think, so people who are looking for a more in depth article about say ... Urgathoa, would be more inclined to purchase the AP that has an in depth article on her. I know that the new Faiths of ... books detail or will detail more about deities but if someone say wants an in depth article on Caliphas they could look on the list and see where that lies and purchase the AP with that article. Same could be said for the list i made on prestige classes, and a list of stat blocks would be really nice as i am too lazy currently to compile it, and i also suck with computer stuff, so someone with more computer savvy could probably make the list faster and more efficiently then me.

Also really curious if Rahadoum will ever get more attention? Really interested to see more on that country.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Alephtau wrote:

I think my previous question got lost in the posts since, so will re-ask.

I am wanting to know if Paizo has lists anywhere posted like these ...

Compiled Lists

Lists such as these would help Paizo i think, so people who are looking for a more in depth article about say ... Urgathoa, would be more inclined to purchase the AP that has an in depth article on her. I know that the new Faiths of ... books detail or will detail more about deities but if someone say wants an in depth article on Caliphas they could look on the list and see where that lies and purchase the AP with that article. Same could be said for the list i made on prestige classes, and a list of stat blocks would be really nice as i am too lazy currently to compile it, and i also suck with computer stuff, so someone with more computer savvy could probably make the list faster and more efficiently then me.

Also really curious if Rahadoum will ever get more attention? Really interested to see more on that country.

We do not maintain lists like these. It'd probably be a good idea, but it's not something we have the time or resources to generate and/or maintain. It's a GREAT idea for fans to generate though!

Rahadoum will eventually get more attention, yes. We've set a few Pathfinder Society adventures there, I believe. We can't do everything at once, though, and so for now Rahadoum stays on the back burner.


how would you measure IQ vs int. score?

Contributor

James Jacobs wrote:
donato wrote:
JJ, my birthday is on Friday. Can I come up with an NPC name for a future product as a gift? Please? It would make all my dreams come true!

As much as I would like to say yes... I can't. Mostly because I don't want to open what could be a floodgate of people hoping to get an NPC name into a product—I might be able to honor one or two or three such requests, but a dozen? A hundred? Ten thousand?

I don't want to set that precedent, unfortunately.

Ah, so what you're saying is that you can't publicly agree on the boards and I should send you an email instead? I got you. ;)

9,151 to 9,200 of 83,732 << first < prev | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards