>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

73,901 to 73,950 of 77,287 << first < prev | 1474 | 1475 | 1476 | 1477 | 1478 | 1479 | 1480 | 1481 | 1482 | 1483 | 1484 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Asmodeus' Advocate wrote:

Huh. I have no idea how I got the notion that “Demon Prince” was Pathfinder’s term for demons a step beneath Demon Lords. I remember reading it somewhere . . . must be my mind playing tricks on me, or a misremembered sentence. This is going to bug me. :/

Um, it’s bad etiquette to post without asking a question, I think, so . . . how dire would circumstances have to be before you’d bum a wish off a glabrezu?

That's how it worked in D&D in 1st and 2nd and 3rd edition... no idea if they kept that into 4th and 5th. And since I did a lot of demon writing for 3rd edition... that might be the casue of it.

AND: Pretty dire. Dire enough that the wish would have to be the last choice.


How are the 'Runelord of X' titles supposed to be capitalised? The article in Secrets of Roderic's Cove does not capitalise them, but all subsequent volumes in the AP do.


Would an android get upset if someone called them by something other than their name? Like one named Alexandra getting called Alex?


Return of the Runelords is the last of the Thassilon Trilogy. Does that mean you have told everything you wished to tell about Thassilon, and thus there will be no adventure path about Thassilon, at least by you? I ask this because I really wish to see the Castle of the Green Feather someday.

Grand Lodge

Hey James,

In the Jade Regent AP, the PCs come across an NPC with a wooden practice sword (better know as a bokken). It says to use the club for its stats and treat it as a katana for feats and class abilities. However, it doesn't mention a price. Would it be 0 gp like a club is? Maybe 10 gp as a longsword? I wouldn't think it'd be the katana's original 50 gp price. Also, what proficiency would you likely need? Just simple or would it also be exotic?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
HTD wrote:
How are the 'Runelord of X' titles supposed to be capitalised? The article in Secrets of Roderic's Cove does not capitalise them, but all subsequent volumes in the AP do.

You only capitalize "runelord" when it appends to the front of a name. So.. "Runelord Sorshen" and "Sorshen is a runelord" are good examples.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
Return of the Runelords is the last of the Thassilon Trilogy. Does that mean you have told everything you wished to tell about Thassilon, and thus there will be no adventure path about Thassilon, at least by you? I ask this because I really wish to see the Castle of the Green Feather someday.

There's PLENTY of additional stories to tell.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Reksew_Trebla wrote:
Would an android get upset if someone called them by something other than their name? Like one named Alexandra getting called Alex?

As a general rule, no. Since getting "upset" is an emotional reaction.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
kevin_video wrote:

Hey James,

In the Jade Regent AP, the PCs come across an NPC with a wooden practice sword (better know as a bokken). It says to use the club for its stats and treat it as a katana for feats and class abilities. However, it doesn't mention a price. Would it be 0 gp like a club is? Maybe 10 gp as a longsword? I wouldn't think it'd be the katana's original 50 gp price. Also, what proficiency would you likely need? Just simple or would it also be exotic?

I'd say you could use it as a club, but that you could also use katana proficiency as well, and only get the katana benefits if you do that. As for cost... 15 gp sounds good to me. Not nearly as expensive as an actual katana, but it's got artistry to it that ups its price from a lump of wood that you'd use as a club.


James Jacobs wrote:
HTD wrote:
How are the 'Runelord of X' titles supposed to be capitalised? The article in Secrets of Roderic's Cove does not capitalise them, but all subsequent volumes in the AP do.
You only capitalize "runelord" when it appends to the front of a name. So.. "Runelord Sorshen" and "Sorshen is a runelord" are good examples.

So the correct form is 'Xanderghul is the runelord of pride', not 'Runelord of Pride'?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
HTD wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
HTD wrote:
How are the 'Runelord of X' titles supposed to be capitalised? The article in Secrets of Roderic's Cove does not capitalise them, but all subsequent volumes in the AP do.
You only capitalize "runelord" when it appends to the front of a name. So.. "Runelord Sorshen" and "Sorshen is a runelord" are good examples.
So the correct form is 'Xanderghul is the runelord of pride', not 'Runelord of Pride'?

Correct.


Cyrusian worshiped the Peacock Spirit. Haruka worshiped Lissala. Bakrakhan and Eurythnia worshiped demon lords. Then what about other three realms? I ask this because I wish to know in which realm the worship of the Peacock Spirit and Lissala prospered.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
Cyrusian worshiped the Peacock Spirit. Haruka worshiped Lissala. Bakrakhan and Eurythnia worshiped demon lords. Then what about other three realms? I ask this because I wish to know in which realm the worship of the Peacock Spirit and Lissala prospered.

The other three nations had a pretty widespread religious theme. The Peacock Spirit was probably worshiped second most in Haruka behind Cyrusian. And Lissala was worshiped throughout Thassilon.


It seems that the identity of the Peacock Spirit is a closely guarded secret. Does that mean even the high level clerics of the Peacock Spirit or Xanderghul's apprentices didn't know the truth? Maybe Xanderghul told the truth to his closest associates?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
It seems that the identity of the Peacock Spirit is a closely guarded secret. Does that mean even the high level clerics of the Peacock Spirit or Xanderghul's apprentices didn't know the truth? Maybe Xanderghul told the truth to his closest associates?

Pretty much no one knew, as detailed in book 4 of Return of the Runelords.


Why did Xanderghul hide the Peacock Spirit's identity in the first place? I think a proud man like Xanderghul would never hide his divinity.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
Why did Xanderghul hide the Peacock Spirit's identity in the first place? I think a proud man like Xanderghul would never hide his divinity.

Because keeping that secret from the world for so long is so much tougher, and he took pride in keeping that secret.


If Xanderghul's apprentices or several high level clerics of the Peacock Spirit found out the true identity of their god, what would they do? I mean, would they feel deceived and betrayed and stop worshiping the Peacock Spirit? Or would they not bother, and continue worshiping the Peacock Spirit?


Would an inubrix weapon pass through an android?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Reksew_Trebla wrote:
Would an inubrix weapon pass through an android?

No. Androids aren't made of iron or steel, which is the only material an inubrix weapon ignores.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
If Xanderghul's apprentices or several high level clerics of the Peacock Spirit found out the true identity of their god, what would they do? I mean, would they feel deceived and betrayed and stop worshiping the Peacock Spirit? Or would they not bother, and continue worshiping the Peacock Spirit?

That'd depend entirely on the specific person. Some might not care, some would lose their faith, some would have their faith bolstered. It'd be a person-by-person decision.


If you (the real world James Jacobs, not a character you’re playing) could gain, in real life, a fusion of two slotted magic items of the same slot type, from Pathfinder, what would they be and why?


Hi James!

I noticed that in a recent Pathfinder Friday twitch stream you mentioned that you are in charge for the first AP for the second edition.

I know that you can’t yet divulge any information about that, but I hope you can answer to this very broad question,

Is there a Pathfinder 1e Campaign Setting already published that matches the contents of what will be the first 2e AP? An example would be “Andoran, Birthplace of Freedom” if the AP was to be set in Andoran.

I’m not expecting any names, just a yes or not to scratch my itch!

Thanks!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Reksew_Trebla wrote:
If you (the real world James Jacobs, not a character you’re playing) could gain, in real life, a fusion of two slotted magic items of the same slot type, from Pathfinder, what would they be and why?

Ring of wishes and another ring of wishes.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Vassago Embrace wrote:

Hi James!

I noticed that in a recent Pathfinder Friday twitch stream you mentioned that you are in charge for the first AP for the second edition.

I know that you can’t yet divulge any information about that, but I hope you can answer to this very broad question,

Is there a Pathfinder 1e Campaign Setting already published that matches the contents of what will be the first 2e AP? An example would be “Andoran, Birthplace of Freedom” if the AP was to be set in Andoran.

I’m not expecting any names, just a yes or not to scratch my itch!

Thanks!

We'll be talking in more detail about the Adventure Path and Campaign Setting stuff in a few months. Until then, I can confirm we ARE working on both lines still!


When Xanderghul first introduced the Peacock Spirit to the world, other runelords were very eager to worship the new god. They helped Xanderghul to complete the Grand Temple of the Peacock Spirit, and Runelord Xirie even constructed Sech Nevali, the greatest of all the temples to the Peacock Spirit. What if they knew the true identity of the god? If Xanderghul revealed the truth from the beginning, would they have gladly worshiped the new god? I highly doubt it, because I don't think other runelords would be eager to worship their fellow runelord.

Dark Archive

So question about what is "Purebred Azlanti" flavor wise exactly. Like is it more about aboleth's eugenics program or how Azlanti education worked? Like if azlanti and varisian had child together would child lose that +2 to all six stats bonus, or is it just matter of growing up in azlanti society to get that bonus?

On side note, is Mengkare's experiment on Hermea essentially about creating his own version of Azlanti?


Hey James! Long time threadwatcher, first time asker. Have you ever had inarizushi before, and either way, would the Golarion equivalent be called “Daikitzushi”?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
When Xanderghul first introduced the Peacock Spirit to the world, other runelords were very eager to worship the new god. They helped Xanderghul to complete the Grand Temple of the Peacock Spirit, and Runelord Xirie even constructed Sech Nevali, the greatest of all the temples to the Peacock Spirit. What if they knew the true identity of the god? If Xanderghul revealed the truth from the beginning, would they have gladly worshiped the new god? I highly doubt it, because I don't think other runelords would be eager to worship their fellow runelord.

It's not so much they were eager to worship the Peacock Spirit as it was they wanted to curry favor with Xanderghul by helping out on his project. And while Xirie tried to build the best of them, whether it or the one Xanderghul built is ACTUALLY the best depends on who you ask. None of them knew the true identity of the god, and I'm not fond of playing the "what if" game because that's basically "design a variant campaign setting." That's best left in the hands of individual GMs who want to adjust Golarion to change things for their tables, not for me to say.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CorvusMask wrote:

So question about what is "Purebred Azlanti" flavor wise exactly. Like is it more about aboleth's eugenics program or how Azlanti education worked? Like if azlanti and varisian had child together would child lose that +2 to all six stats bonus, or is it just matter of growing up in azlanti society to get that bonus?

On side note, is Mengkare's experiment on Hermea essentially about creating his own version of Azlanti?

Mostly aboleth tinkering. If an azlanti has a kid with another human, it's a normal human, since they're no longer pureblood azlanti.

Mengkare's experiment is something else entirely, and has pretty much nothing to do with Azlant.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
VixieMoondew wrote:
Hey James! Long time threadwatcher, first time asker. Have you ever had inarizushi before, and either way, would the Golarion equivalent be called “Daikitzushi”?

I've had it, but didn't like it much. My preference is to generally not change names of foods from real-world foods unless it's something that references a real-world proper noun and I have no knowledge of the etymology of "inarizushi" to make that decision off the top of my head.

Dark Archive

Hail, Master Jacobs!

I'm another fan of the Durakistad Coin and Malcanthet, just wanted to note those old articles of yours and give you a big thanks! That's not what I wanted to ask about, though!

This is a long shot, but... Is there any way you might be able to help us poor Pathfinder: Kingmaker cRPG players get some info on the Chris Avellone "bonus board game module" that Owlcat is holding over our heads? They're billing it as being included with the super expensive edition but haven't even finished writing it. And now they're pushing DLCs when the base purchase isn't even fulfilled yet, so there's plenty of reasons to feel abandoned...

I've e-mailed them, Paizo, Steam, even Deep Silver to see if anyone can get a straight answer out of them, but no luck yet. They're being super shady about this and I don't know what else I can do. Any ideas? Either way, thanks for your time, happy holidays, and thanks for all the demons to kill!


James Jacobs wrote:
VixieMoondew wrote:
Hey James! Long time threadwatcher, first time asker. Have you ever had inarizushi before, and either way, would the Golarion equivalent be called “Daikitzushi”?
I've had it, but didn't like it much. My preference is to generally not change names of foods from real-world foods unless it's something that references a real-world proper noun and I have no knowledge of the etymology of "inarizushi" to make that decision off the top of my head.

Gotcha! For reference, inarizushi is named after Inari, the Shinto deity of kitsunes and agriculture who (I've generally assumed) provided the basis for Daikitsu. Kitsune (and foxes in general) are said to love fried tofu, so some Japanese dishes that include it (inarizushi, inari udon, etc.) reference Inari.

...That turned into a lesson and this thread isn't for that, so unless you appreciate the "The More You Know" rainbow that's forming over my head, I'll keep the Q&A format going:

What's your general, typical writing process like? Do you just pull up a document and start typing whatever pops into your head, or is there a lot of collaboration before you even start getting words down on paper, or?


Return of the Runelords spoiler:
In It Came from Hollow Mountain, there is a character named Viralane Barvisai, who was cursed so that she will never to be able to take take to a stage anymore. She spent all the wealth she accumulated yet failed to have the curse lifted. I'm not sure. Isn't a simple remove curse spell enough to deal with a curse? And why did the cult of the Peacock Spirit not lift the curse already? Viralane is a devout worshiper of the Peacock Spirit, thus there is no reason for the cult not to remove her curse. Is the curse so potent that even the mighty cult cannot properly remove it?


I heard that intermarriage among the undine is common. How common are intermarriages with undine in which at least one of them is a non-undine?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Cerushad wrote:

Hail, Master Jacobs!

I'm another fan of the Durakistad Coin and Malcanthet, just wanted to note those old articles of yours and give you a big thanks! That's not what I wanted to ask about, though!

This is a long shot, but... Is there any way you might be able to help us poor Pathfinder: Kingmaker cRPG players get some info on the Chris Avellone "bonus board game module" that Owlcat is holding over our heads? They're billing it as being included with the super expensive edition but haven't even finished writing it. And now they're pushing DLCs when the base purchase isn't even fulfilled yet, so there's plenty of reasons to feel abandoned...

I've e-mailed them, Paizo, Steam, even Deep Silver to see if anyone can get a straight answer out of them, but no luck yet. They're being super shady about this and I don't know what else I can do. Any ideas? Either way, thanks for your time, happy holidays, and thanks for all the demons to kill!

Unfortunately, that's not something I can give any answers on at this time.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
VixieMoondew wrote:
What's your general, typical writing process like? Do you just pull up a document and start typing whatever pops into your head, or is there a lot of collaboration before you even start getting words down on paper, or?

Depends on the project. For adventures I often start with the maps. I also generally begin the whole thing by creating a detailed outline and a storyboard pagination for the project. If there's other authors on the project I usually meet with them to sort out who's doing what at the very start.

Once I start writing, I usually start at the start but if there's sections, I'll generally save the section I'm most interested in writing until the end so it's a reward for finishing the rest.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Patrickthekid wrote:
I heard that intermarriage among the undine is common. How common are intermarriages with undine in which at least one of them is a non-undine?

I've put zero thought into this... not sure yet, since there's not a very big role for undines in Golarion at this point.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:

Spoiler:
In It Came from Hollow Mountain, there is a character named Viralane Barvisai, who was cursed so that she will never to be able to take take to a stage anymore. She spent all the wealth she accumulated yet failed to have the curse lifted. I'm not sure. Isn't a simple remove curse spell enough to deal with a curse? And why did the cult of the Peacock Spirit not lift the curse already? Viralane is a devout worshiper of the Peacock Spirit, thus there is no reason for the cult not to remove her curse. Is the curse so potent that even the mighty cult cannot properly remove it?

She's an NPC, and thus to a certain extent is more locked in to story requirements than PCs are. Beyond that, you can assume...

Spoiler:
...that her curse is a more powerful one than a mere bestow curse can remove, and remember that even against normal curses remove curse isn't always successful. The cult didn't lift it because it's more valuable for them for her to remain cursed, since once the curse is removed, they can't hold that over her head as a promise. As long as she remains cursed and they dangle the promise of removing the curse before her, she's more wiling to work with the cult and to play her part in their plans. It's not in the cult's interest to see that curse removed.


Then can I assume that both she and the cult are just using each other, and once the curse is removed, she would be very eager to sever every tie with the cult? In other words, she has never been a devout worshiper of the Peacock Spirit?


Also, have you ever considered reworking the psychic warrior class als the occult classes?


Hi James,

House Thrune is sometimes called "Thrice-Damned". What are those three damnations?


Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber

What is the source of Xanderghul's divinity? Is it one of this Mythic abilities or some other source?

Did you have an idea of the source of his divinity when you conceived of the Peacock Spirit or was it something you didn't decide until you had to?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
Then can I assume that both she and the cult are just using each other, and once the curse is removed, she would be very eager to sever every tie with the cult? In other words, she has never been a devout worshiper of the Peacock Spirit?

If the curse is removed, she'll likely feel thanks and gratitude to whoever removed it. This is a great chance for the PCs to perhaps get her onto their side perhaps. But until then she's pretty loyal to the Peacock Spirit. Maybe not devout, but not far from it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Blissful Lightning wrote:

Hi James,

House Thrune is sometimes called "Thrice-Damned". What are those three damnations?

Hell's Vengeance goes into that, I believe, but I don't recall them off the top of my head.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Patrickthekid wrote:
Also, have you ever considered reworking the psychic warrior class als the occult classes?

No.

We very specifically went our own route with psychic powers in Pathfinder, and direct conversions of D&D psionics stuff was never really on the agenda at all. We want to build our own stuff, and there's 3rd party solutions for Pathfinder versions of the open content psionic stuff already out there.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
j b 200 wrote:

What is the source of Xanderghul's divinity? Is it one of this Mythic abilities or some other source?

Did you have an idea of the source of his divinity when you conceived of the Peacock Spirit or was it something you didn't decide until you had to?

Originally he gained divinity via the divine source Mythic ability. When the events of Return of the Runelords took place and he lost his mythic tiers, his faith was already thousands of years well-established and as a result he retained his deific nature as a quasi-deity. The source is his own ego and pride, pretty much, and he's also pretty much a unique case there as far as that is concerned.

I pretty much had him pegged as the Peacock Spirit from day one, or at least soon after Wolfgang Baur invented the Peacock Spirit for the article he wrote for Pathfinder #1. The idea that at least one of the runelords would be worshiped as a god was always gonna be in the game, and it made sense that the runelord of pride would be that one.

I didn't have pegged down a "source" or cause for his divinity at the start, but knew at some point we'd add rules into the game for non-deities to become deities, if only because the Starstone exists and we had, baked into the game itself, several examples of deities who were once mortal who became gods, be it via the Starstone or some other method (Aroden, Norgorber, Cayden Cailean, Iomedae, Urgathoa, Irori, Nethys, etc.).


When I found out there isn't an article about the Peacock Spirit in Temple of the Peacock Spirit, I was depressed, because I thought that book would be a proper place to include that article. Can we expect an article like that in the future adventure path book or campaign setting book?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
When I found out there isn't an article about the Peacock Spirit in Temple of the Peacock Spirit, I was depressed, because I thought that book would be a proper place to include that article. Can we expect an article like that in the future adventure path book or campaign setting book?

Nope.

Those articles are the most useful for faiths that are PC-facing. For one that PCs shouldn't be worshiping for thematic reasons, and for one that has a timer after which we will assume the faith is gone, it's less useful than the other articles we wanted to cover.


Are Yhidothrus, Imbrex, Ragadahn and the Watchers in the Waste in Leng big enough to use the kaiju rules?

73,901 to 73,950 of 77,287 << first < prev | 1474 | 1475 | 1476 | 1477 | 1478 | 1479 | 1480 | 1481 | 1482 | 1483 | 1484 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.