>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

73,351 to 73,400 of 78,464 << first < prev | 1463 | 1464 | 1465 | 1466 | 1467 | 1468 | 1469 | 1470 | 1471 | 1472 | 1473 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
HTD wrote:
Where did the Outer Gods and Great Old Ones dwell before the Material Plane was created?

In a prior reality, perhaps?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Reksew_Trebla wrote:
This is a GM call, so I was wondering what you would call. If you were to heal a being with the Broken Soul template, such as with regenerate and similar spells, as well as actual healing spells, would they lose the template due to having their body fixed, and if so, is there anything they would keep from it? I think they’d keep the natural armor bonus, since that is the result of scarred tissue, which isn’t really damage, but I don’t know what else would be kept.

You're right, it's GM call, but in my opinion there's more needed to fix the trauma of that template than a single spell.

If you DID cure someone from it, they'd return to their prior status and would lose all the template's stuff.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Haladir wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Reksew_Trebla wrote:
Not sure if you can talk about this, but what is your favorite 3rd party Pathfinder product?
The one I'm PROUDEST of is Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos book, but I'm biased there, since I wrote 100,000 words of it, and the experience and opportunity to work with one of my RPG heroes (Sandy!) was the culmination of a career goal and highlight for me.

As well you should be. That book is AMAZING!!

Have you seen Dreamlands cats as PCs in actual play yet? If so, how well do you think they worked?

(I'm intriugued by the concept...)

I haven't. I actually don't have the time or energy to play many games these days. Currently, I'm just playing in a Starfinder game (Zeru Zinzi the lashunta envoy in Dead Suns) and running a P2 playtest using Against the Slave Lords, but that's it.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Steve Geddes wrote:

Hi James

Can you tell me the meaning of the little red/yellow circles on the map of the areas beneath Sandpoint? Is it entrances to aboveground and secret doors?

If I remember correctly, the red dots are exits to the surface and the yellow ones are underground secret doors. Or vice versa... with that info it should be pretty obvious which color is which.

It certainly is. Thanks!

Brilliant book, by the way - so clearly written for use at the table. Really, really masterful work. Something has finally toppled Guide to Korvosa as my favorite City/Town Gazetteer of all time.


James Jacobs wrote:
HTD wrote:
Where did the Outer Gods and Great Old Ones dwell before the Material Plane was created?
In a prior reality, perhaps?

Or outside reality? (or outside our concept/perception of reality)


Who else is in your Starfinder campaign and is it going well?

Dark Archive

So Artifacts & Legends, the events on worlds other than Golarion in history of Saint Cuthbert’s Mace, are those references to something? Like writers' home campaigns or something else?


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Going off that, favourite video game Kaiju (that’s not Godzilla)?
Huh. I don't know that I have one. There are plenty of examples of cool HUGE boss monsters that come to mind from games like Dark Souls but none of those are large enough to count as a kaiju.

Did you ever play Shadow of Colossus? Would you consider them Kaiju?

Lantern Lodge

Question : Apart from Being Envious, scheming and Back-stabbing, what other trait of character are known about Belimarius ?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Souls At War wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
HTD wrote:
Where did the Outer Gods and Great Old Ones dwell before the Material Plane was created?
In a prior reality, perhaps?
Or outside reality? (or outside our concept/perception of reality)

Nah.

If they were outside reality, they wouldn't be real, and they're real enough to hurt your PCs.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Some Kind of Chymist wrote:
Who else is in your Starfinder campaign and is it going well?

Rob's running it, and the other players are Will, Sharaya, Adam, and Gabe.

It's going good so far—we're partway into book two, and that's about as far as I've ever made it into an AP that Rob runs, so hopefully we won't TPK next session and hopefully he won't get distracted and find something else to start up! :-P

Paizo Employee Creative Director

CorvusMask wrote:
So Artifacts & Legends, the events on worlds other than Golarion in history of Saint Cuthbert’s Mace, are those references to something? Like writers' home campaigns or something else?

I have no idea. Wes wrote those, and he's not at Paizo anymore, so make of them what you will.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
deinol wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Going off that, favourite video game Kaiju (that’s not Godzilla)?
Huh. I don't know that I have one. There are plenty of examples of cool HUGE boss monsters that come to mind from games like Dark Souls but none of those are large enough to count as a kaiju.
Did you ever play Shadow of Colossus? Would you consider them Kaiju?

I never did, but I would consider them kaiju. I didn't mention them though because, as noted a few words back, I never played these games and thus don't know nothin' about them.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
ElderNightmare wrote:

Question : Apart from Being Envious, scheming and Back-stabbing, what other trait of character are known about Belimarius ?

See part five of Return of the Runelords for several pages of answers to this question. ;-)


James Jacobs wrote:
deinol wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Going off that, favourite video game Kaiju (that’s not Godzilla)?
Huh. I don't know that I have one. There are plenty of examples of cool HUGE boss monsters that come to mind from games like Dark Souls but none of those are large enough to count as a kaiju.
Did you ever play Shadow of Colossus? Would you consider them Kaiju?
I never did, but I would consider them kaiju. I didn't mention them though because, as noted a few words back, I never played these games and thus don't know nothin' about them.

Some heads up on Shadow of the Colossus, the Colossus aren’t all Colossal sized. Hell, only a few of them would have the Massive trait. Some are even as small as Large size. They are also fragments of the physical body of a LE deity. I won’t go into more detail, as you really should play it; it is an artistic masterpiece, telling the story by ironically showing, not telling.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Reksew_Trebla wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
deinol wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Going off that, favourite video game Kaiju (that’s not Godzilla)?
Huh. I don't know that I have one. There are plenty of examples of cool HUGE boss monsters that come to mind from games like Dark Souls but none of those are large enough to count as a kaiju.
Did you ever play Shadow of Colossus? Would you consider them Kaiju?
I never did, but I would consider them kaiju. I didn't mention them though because, as noted a few words back, I never played these games and thus don't know nothin' about them.
Some heads up on Shadow of the Colossus, the Colossus aren’t all Colossal sized. Hell, only a few of them would have the Massive trait. Some are even as small as Large size. They are also fragments of the physical body of a LE deity. I won’t go into more detail, as you really should play it; it is an artistic masterpiece, telling the story by ironically showing, not telling.

Kaiju exist beyond the scope of a Pathfinder Bestiary, and those that do, such as those in Shadow of the Colossus or a Godzilla movie, don't have to follow Pathfinder rules. All I know about Shadow of the Colossus is that the screenshots I've seen and the gameplay I've watched included monsters that are tall enough to step on buildings, which is REALLY what should define if something is a kaiju or not.

In any case, please keep posts to this thread to questions.

Sovereign Court

James Jacobs wrote:
Aenigma wrote:
Is Rovagug the first qlippoth?
Nope.

Was he number 7 of 9?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mister Sylnester wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Aenigma wrote:
Is Rovagug the first qlippoth?
Nope.
Was he number 7 of 9?

Nope.


Will we be getting some solid info about the Oinodaemon? Planar Adventures was not as much to chew on as I hoped, being only theories and legends (though admittedly spooky).

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
bananahell wrote:
Will we be getting some solid info about the Oinodaemon? Planar Adventures was not as much to chew on as I hoped, being only theories and legends (though admittedly spooky).

Return of the Runelords, part 6, has a few more tidbits, but we'll not likely be doing a LOT more with him anytime.

For the most part, I like keeping the Oinodaemon shrouded in mystery, because:

a) It's more creepy and thought-provoking, and...

b) The Oinodaemon was invented for D&D, and is part of WotC's intellectual property. The only reason we can use it in our products is because of the OGL and the fact that WotC allowed Necromancer Games to put him in the Tome of Horrors. As time has gone on and I've become more and more invested in content for Pathfinder and Golarion that I or Paizo has created, I've become less and less interested in spending that time bolstering another company's intellectual property and more interested in doing new things. So for me... while I do still enjoy nostalgic throwbacks (as you'll see with what I added for the Oinodaemon in that last adventure during development), I prefer to spend most of my design/development time adding to Paizo's legacy rather than TSR's or WotC's these days.


That is actually a very satisfying answer.

Okay, how about one of Paizo's creations: Treerazer. When will be able to see more information on Kyonin's Nascent Demon Lord resident? Perhaps even some information on Witchbole or the Sovyrian Stone seeded in Book of the Damned?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
bananahell wrote:

That is actually a very satisfying answer.

Okay, how about one of Paizo's creations: Treerazer. When will be able to see more information on Kyonin's Nascent Demon Lord resident? Perhaps even some information on Witchbole or the Sovyrian Stone seeded in Book of the Damned?

I created Treerazer as one of the big-bads for my homebrew back in 1990 or thereabouts, so I would very MUCH like to do more with him at some point. He's a great example of something I'd rather spend time on developing than, say, Orcus.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

Good morning, James. How tall is Runelord Sorshen? I'm making a character for Return of the Runelords with the Accidental Clone trait and would like to know. Thanks in advance for your response!

Silver Crusade

Will we eventually learn more about Ihys and the Catafalque?

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
bananahell wrote:
Will we be getting some solid info about the Oinodaemon? Planar Adventures was not as much to chew on as I hoped, being only theories and legends (though admittedly spooky).

Return of the Runelords, part 6, has a few more tidbits, but we'll not likely be doing a LOT more with him anytime.

For the most part, I like keeping the Oinodaemon shrouded in mystery, because:

a) It's more creepy and thought-provoking, and...

b) The Oinodaemon was invented for D&D, and is part of WotC's intellectual property. The only reason we can use it in our products is because of the OGL and the fact that WotC allowed Necromancer Games to put him in the Tome of Horrors. As time has gone on and I've become more and more invested in content for Pathfinder and Golarion that I or Paizo has created, I've become less and less interested in spending that time bolstering another company's intellectual property and more interested in doing new things. So for me... while I do still enjoy nostalgic throwbacks (as you'll see with what I added for the Oinodaemon in that last adventure during development), I prefer to spend most of my design/development time adding to Paizo's legacy rather than TSR's or WotC's these days.

:D

James, do these bits with the Oinodaemon branch off from any of the (admittedly intentionally vague and mysterious) hooks and rumors I put in print in various books or are they entirely new? Either way I can't wait to see them! :D

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Brainiac wrote:
Good morning, James. How tall is Runelord Sorshen? I'm making a character for Return of the Runelords with the Accidental Clone trait and would like to know. Thanks in advance for your response!

That's not a value I've ever bothered to write down or set in stone. Feel free to set her height at whatever makes sense for you.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
cash4golda wrote:
Will we eventually learn more about Ihys and the Catafalque?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Todd Stewart wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
bananahell wrote:
Will we be getting some solid info about the Oinodaemon? Planar Adventures was not as much to chew on as I hoped, being only theories and legends (though admittedly spooky).

Return of the Runelords, part 6, has a few more tidbits, but we'll not likely be doing a LOT more with him anytime.

For the most part, I like keeping the Oinodaemon shrouded in mystery, because:

a) It's more creepy and thought-provoking, and...

b) The Oinodaemon was invented for D&D, and is part of WotC's intellectual property. The only reason we can use it in our products is because of the OGL and the fact that WotC allowed Necromancer Games to put him in the Tome of Horrors. As time has gone on and I've become more and more invested in content for Pathfinder and Golarion that I or Paizo has created, I've become less and less interested in spending that time bolstering another company's intellectual property and more interested in doing new things. So for me... while I do still enjoy nostalgic throwbacks (as you'll see with what I added for the Oinodaemon in that last adventure during development), I prefer to spend most of my design/development time adding to Paizo's legacy rather than TSR's or WotC's these days.

:D

James, do these bits with the Oinodaemon branch off from any of the (admittedly intentionally vague and mysterious) hooks and rumors I put in print in various books or are they entirely new? Either way I can't wait to see them! :D

Mostly new.

Silver Crusade

Was Deskari's mother a demon lord or some other important entity?


Can you name a few other notable plot-points of Golarion that come from your homebrew games? I know Karzoug was definitely one, but what are a few more major players on Golarion with humble tabletop beginnings?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
cash4golda wrote:
Was Deskari's mother a demon lord or some other important entity?

Unrevealed.


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Do demons have mothers?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
bananahell wrote:
Can you name a few other notable plot-points of Golarion that come from your homebrew games? I know Karzoug was definitely one, but what are a few more major players on Golarion with humble tabletop beginnings?

Here's the first 11 that come to mind:

The Red Mantis Assassins and Achaekek and Mediogalti Island and Ilizmagorti.

Cyth-V'sug and Treerazer and Tanglebriar.

The Shoanti conflict with a lawful-aligned expansionist society (in my homebrew, they weren't Chelaxians but a lawful neutral group of humans influenced by a devil worshiper).

The Skinsaw Cultists, Norgorber, and the city of Vyre.

The Hold of Belkzen.

The Darklands (particularly the vaults of Orv and the urdefans).

Several of the major deities (Abdar, Desna, Erastil, Gorum, Norgorber, Pharasma [although she was named Turthonir in my homebrew], Rovagug, Sarenrae, Urgathoa, and Zon-Kuthon)

Large parts of Varisia (including Korvosa, Magnimar, Riddleport, and Sandpoint)

The Parchlands of Casmaron

Valashmai Jungle

Shensen and Ameiko Kaijitsu (first appeared as my PCs in various campaigns)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ed Reppert wrote:
Do demons have mothers?

Some do in a biological sense, yes. And in a philosophical sense, ALL of them do in the form of Lamashtu (who also doubles down there and is their biological mother in many cases as well).


James Jacobs wrote:
Ed Reppert wrote:
Do demons have mothers?
Some do in a biological sense, yes. And in a philosophical sense, ALL of them do in the form of Lamashtu (who also doubles down there and is their biological mother in many cases as well).

Does Nocticula have any children, philosophically or otherwise? Or is the position of "Queen of the Succubi" more political/conquest-based rather than being something linked to a qualifier like 'first' or 'oldest' Succubus?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Just seen the illustration of Father Zantus on page 10 of Sandpoint' for the first time. Are starknives really two-and-a-half to three feet across, or is that just foreshortening?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
CrimsonVixen wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Ed Reppert wrote:
Do demons have mothers?
Some do in a biological sense, yes. And in a philosophical sense, ALL of them do in the form of Lamashtu (who also doubles down there and is their biological mother in many cases as well).
Does Nocticula have any children, philosophically or otherwise? Or is the position of "Queen of the Succubi" more political/conquest-based rather than being something linked to a qualifier like 'first' or 'oldest' Succubus?

She does, but I'm not sure we've revealed any of them in print yet. Certainly they don't have an important standing in her religion.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Darrell Impey UK wrote:
Just seen the illustration of Father Zantus on page 10 of Sandpoint'. Are starknives really two-and-a-half to three feet across, or is that just foreshortening?

Starknife blades are about the size, individually, of a dagger. There's been a fair amount of range in illustrations we've done of them, though—the size of the starknife in that illustration would be the high end on the size scale.

(From a real-world use—something larger like that makes for a better miniature down the line as well.)


Dear James Jacobs,

Will there be a new Demon Lord of Succubi and Lust and will she be revealed in 2nd edition?

Also question about Nimboloth, does she like swamps or just like hiding in them?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:

Dear James Jacobs,

Will there be a new Demon Lord of Succubi and Lust and will she be revealed in 2nd edition?

Also question about Nimboloth, does she like swamps or just like hiding in them?

Maybe, maybe not.

Nimboloth's agents like hiding in swamps. She herself hides in every death, regardless of whether they happen in swamps or not.


So i don’t know if this question is about second edition since it concerns elements from the first edition but if any of the other classes from first edition are brought back will some of those iconics be brought back? Such as the ones that haven’t been in an adventure path yet?


Dear James Jacobs,

One further clarification I was curious about: What do you think Nimboloth's relationship with the Four Horsemen is like and do you think she and Charon would get along?


James Jacobs wrote:
bananahell wrote:
Can you name a few other notable plot-points of Golarion that come from your homebrew games? I know Karzoug was definitely one, but what are a few more major players on Golarion with humble tabletop beginnings?

Here's the first 11 that come to mind:

The Red Mantis Assassins and Achaekek and Mediogalti Island and Ilizmagorti.

Cyth-V'sug and Treerazer and Tanglebriar.

The Shoanti conflict with a lawful-aligned expansionist society (in my homebrew, they weren't Chelaxians but a lawful neutral group of humans influenced by a devil worshiper).

The Skinsaw Cultists, Norgorber, and the city of Vyre.

The Hold of Belkzen.

The Darklands (particularly the vaults of Orv and the urdefans).

Several of the major deities (Abdar, Desna, Erastil, Gorum, Norgorber, Pharasma [although she was named Turthonir in my homebrew], Rovagug, Sarenrae, Urgathoa, and Zon-Kuthon)

Large parts of Varisia (including Korvosa, Magnimar, Riddleport, and Sandpoint)

The Parchlands of Casmaron

Valashmai Jungle

Shensen and Ameiko Kaijitsu (first appeared as my PCs in various campaigns)

In the past, didn't you also mention parts of Numeria, Androffa and the Gods' non-interference close being from your home games?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Nick O'Connell wrote:
So i don’t know if this question is about second edition since it concerns elements from the first edition but if any of the other classes from first edition are brought back will some of those iconics be brought back? Such as the ones that haven’t been in an adventure path yet?

If we update a class to 2nd edition, I'm gonna fight tooth and nail to keep the 1st edition iconic as the 2nd edition one. I'm realistic enough to admit that I won't win all those fights, but we'll see as time unfolds.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:

Dear James Jacobs,

One further clarification I was curious about: What do you think Nimboloth's relationship with the Four Horsemen is like and do you think she and Charon would get along?

She doesn't regard the four Horsemen as anything more or less than any other potential source of death to bring agony to, and the four Horsemen avoid confronting her because they know they wouldn't be able to do much against her and avoid antagonizing something that could swiftly crush them.

That said, since Nimboloth is focused on the Material Plane, and the horsemen live on Abaddon, they don't often mix.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Souls At War wrote:


In the past, didn't you also mention parts of Numeria, Androffa and the Gods' non-interference close being from your home games?

Yup. There's more as well. I had to cut myself off from recounting the list at an arbitrary number and I chose 11. Had I gone to 12 or beyond, Androffa, the non-interference, parts of Numeria, the Mobhad-Leigh, Zyphus, Milani, Kurgess, Yamasoth, Nocticula, Windsong Abbey, and a lot more would have been mentioned as well. I've put a LOT of my homebrew into the setting. Enough that publishing what remains in my homebrew that hasn't been ported over to Paizo as a stand-alone fantasy setting is no longer viable, alas.

Dark Archive

So this is something I'm confused about mostly because there isn't map of ancient Azlant to compare to:

Did the Braid in Sightless Sea exist before Earthfall? Main reason I'm confused about this is that its said to be in center of Arcadian Ocean where continent of Azlant used to be, but if that is the case wouldn't it have been in middle of continent and not a sea back then?


Dear James,
Sorry if this question is too obvious, but the Vigilante Brute archetype's ability Brute Form (Ex) is the only extraordinary ability ever (at least as far as my research goes) to have possible interactions with Enlarge Person. Does Brute Form also fall under the FAQ that multiple size changes do not stack or is it intended to work together?
Thank you for your patience :)


I've never heard the name Nimboloth before. Who or what is it and where does it come from?

Silver Crusade

Hey James! I know you mentioned you aren't super involved in Tyrant's Grasp, but can you provide any insight into Tar-Baphon's interactions with Zutha and the Cenotaph?

As always, thanks for taking the time to answer all of our lore junkie questions. I know myself and many others appreciate it.

73,351 to 73,400 of 78,464 << first < prev | 1463 | 1464 | 1465 | 1466 | 1467 | 1468 | 1469 | 1470 | 1471 | 1472 | 1473 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.