>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

73,151 to 73,200 of 77,836 << first < prev | 1459 | 1460 | 1461 | 1462 | 1463 | 1464 | 1465 | 1466 | 1467 | 1468 | 1469 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Haladir wrote:

Hi, James.

Have you ever played one of the "Powered by the Apocalpyse" RPGs, like Dungeon Word, Monsterhearts, or Bluebeard's Bride?

If so, what was your opinion?

I haven't. But I've looked through Bluebeard's Bride and love how it looks!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

What is your favorite Ravenloft antagonist, or antagonists.

Vecna.

Silver Crusade

In Hell's Vengeance 5: Scourge of the Godclaw, a plot point/exploitable weakness of one ex-paladin NPC is that her son was taken prisoner, entirely unwillingly "given to Asmodeus," and is now in Hell.

In light of your having said earlier that you can't sell someone's soul unless they consent, I'm thinking this should be regarded as an authorial error. Is that correct?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Beroli wrote:

In Hell's Vengeance 5: Scourge of the Godclaw, a plot point/exploitable weakness of one ex-paladin NPC is that her son was taken prisoner, entirely unwillingly "given to Asmodeus," and is now in Hell.

In light of your having said earlier that you can't sell someone's soul unless they consent, I'm thinking this should be regarded as an authorial error. Is that correct?

It's not an error at all. There are certain vile rituals and the like that CAN consign a soul to Hell or somewhere it's not supposed to go. Book of the Damned has more information.

Dark Archive

Hello James, I have some questions (which I will put in separate posts), so I apologize in advance for the barrage.

If Paizo had published combat statistics in 1st edition for Primal Inevitables, Protean Lords, Manasaputra Kumaras, and Eldest, what would their CR ranges be?

Dark Archive

Is there a reason (either in or out of universe) none of the published Eldest are good, and if there is a reason, would you share it with us?

Dark Archive

What do Outer Gods and Great Old Ones do with the souls of their followers, if anything?

Dark Archive

Do Aeons have demigod/quasi-deity equivalents?


Are you playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker? Are you satisfied with it? I really like the game, by the way.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Creon Vizcarra wrote:

Hello James, I have some questions (which I will put in separate posts), so I apologize in advance for the barrage.

If Paizo had published combat statistics in 1st edition for Primal Inevitables, Protean Lords, Manasaputra Kumaras, and Eldest, what would their CR ranges be?

Probably between 26 and 30.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Creon Vizcarra wrote:
Is there a reason (either in or out of universe) none of the published Eldest are good, and if there is a reason, would you share it with us?

They tend to be neutral/impartial, and skew toward self-interests and mischief and trickery and such. They're not friendly folks, in large part because the traditions of faerie folk are not generally ones that present them as friendly.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Creon Vizcarra wrote:
What do Outer Gods and Great Old Ones do with the souls of their followers, if anything?

"Eat" them or consume them or destroy them if they do anything but normally they ignore them and let them rot away and fester and languish, or worse.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Creon Vizcarra wrote:
Do Aeons have demigod/quasi-deity equivalents?

One: The Monad.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
Are you playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker? Are you satisfied with it? I really like the game, by the way.

I am, and I'm loving it! Very fun! Hard game though, which I also greatly enjoy.


Many new characters and events are added to Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Are you or other Paizo developers involved in the storyline of the game? Or the storyline of the game is made purely by Owlcat Games?


James Jacobs wrote:
Charles Evans 25 wrote:

James Jacobs:

What do you make of the story 'Sweet Ermengarde' by H.P. Lovecraft?
It's forgettable. In that I know I've read it but it left no impression on me.

(edited)

Ah. That's interesting, because (although it's a genre switch) it seems to me to show something which doesn't seem to me to come through in any of the more 'usual' stuff he wrote, which is a sense of humour. He absolutely turns what he's sending up inside out, and fillets it.
I was surprised when I came across it (I think I found a link to it somewhere or other on TV Tropes.)


Mr. James Jacobs,

A question about the Swords of Sin. This is needed for a character in my game.

Return of the Runelords Spoiler:
Will other Swords of Sin be showing up? Such as the ones for Lust and Wrath?


Hello James, I was just curious what your standard is when you design and direct both adventures as well as world building content in regards to how much is expected to be added on the player's end?

So, from your point of view if everything was under your control, do you believe that you craft things with specific purpose and only small changes should be made to suit individual groups, or do you see what you make as more of a guidelines and you believe that an adventure should be heavilly modified before play, given the DM has the time for that? Or anywhere in between.


Mr. James Jacobs,

Related to my previous question:

Return of the Runelord Spoiler:
Much like how Karzoug had a new champion when he arose will Alaznist and Sorshen have new champions?


So, I was discussing relative power levels in Golarion with somebody and the fact that Razmir the dude who literally pretends to be a god, is only level 19 came up. This brings up an interesting question- how many people have actually managed to reach level 20? I get that you obviously can't give an exact number, but what's a rough estimate? I've only been able to find roughly 25, though there are a few more potential candidates that I can think of, and I'm sure I'm not aware of all of them.

So, roughly how many people in history have managed to reach level 20?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
The NPC wrote:

Mr. James Jacobs,

A question about the Swords of Sin. This is needed for a character in my game.
** spoiler omitted **

If I remember correctly...

Spoiler:
...only the sword of envy shows up. But if you want others to show up for your game, then by all means you should do so.
Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pharasmin wrote:

Hello James, I was just curious what your standard is when you design and direct both adventures as well as world building content in regards to how much is expected to be added on the player's end?

So, from your point of view if everything was under your control, do you believe that you craft things with specific purpose and only small changes should be made to suit individual groups, or do you see what you make as more of a guidelines and you believe that an adventure should be heavilly modified before play, given the DM has the time for that? Or anywhere in between.

I try to build adventures and world content so that for the average GM/player, no additional work is needed to make things run well. It's best if the GM has as little work she HAS to do to make the game work for her table so that she can focus on changes she wants to make rather than being forced to use time to do things that aren't as fun to do, if that makes sense.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Goodpie2 wrote:

So, I was discussing relative power levels in Golarion with somebody and the fact that Razmir the dude who literally pretends to be a god, is only level 19 came up. This brings up an interesting question- how many people have actually managed to reach level 20? I get that you obviously can't give an exact number, but what's a rough estimate? I've only been able to find roughly 25, though there are a few more potential candidates that I can think of, and I'm sure I'm not aware of all of them.

So, roughly how many people in history have managed to reach level 20?

No idea, and it doesn't really matter, does it? As many reach level 20 as you want for your game, and when you need one to be that high level, you (or us, or whoever) can just add that NPC to the game without worrying about depleting some sort of limited in-world "resource" of level 20 NPC slots.

We made Razmir level 19 not because we were trying to limit the number of 20th level NPCs, but because making him not QUITE as high level as possible fit his theme of being someone who's not quite as good as he could be. He claims to be a god but isn't, and keeping him one level shy of max level helps that theme, if only metaphorically.


James Jacobs wrote:
Goodpie2 wrote:

So, I was discussing relative power levels in Golarion with somebody and the fact that Razmir the dude who literally pretends to be a god, is only level 19 came up. This brings up an interesting question- how many people have actually managed to reach level 20? I get that you obviously can't give an exact number, but what's a rough estimate? I've only been able to find roughly 25, though there are a few more potential candidates that I can think of, and I'm sure I'm not aware of all of them.

So, roughly how many people in history have managed to reach level 20?

No idea, and it doesn't really matter, does it? As many reach level 20 as you want for your game, and when you need one to be that high level, you (or us, or whoever) can just add that NPC to the game without worrying about depleting some sort of limited in-world "resource" of level 20 NPC slots.

We made Razmir level 19 not because we were trying to limit the number of 20th level NPCs, but because making him not QUITE as high level as possible fit his theme of being someone who's not quite as good as he could be. He claims to be a god but isn't, and keeping him one level shy of max level helps that theme, if only metaphorically.

Kinda? The question is how unusual it is, in Golarion, for a character to reach that level of power. I'm not asking as though there's some sort of "cap," I'm wondering how impressive the accomplishment is, from a lore perspective.


That did answer my question, but as a follow up, if you were given more resources and time, to the extent that you wouldn't have to be concerned with either of them, what would your ideal adventure look like and how would it compare to what we currently recieve?


It seems that you missed my question. So I ask again. Many new characters and events are added to Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Are you or other Paizo developers involved in the storyline of the game? Or the storyline of the game is made purely by Owlcat Games?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Goodpie2 wrote:


Kinda? The question is how unusual it is, in Golarion, for a character to reach that level of power. I'm not asking as though there's some sort of "cap," I'm wondering how impressive the accomplishment is, from a lore perspective.

It's rare enough that it only happens enough for us to support the casts of 2 Adventure Paths a year.

From a lore perspective, it's very impressive.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pharasmin wrote:
That did answer my question, but as a follow up, if you were given more resources and time, to the extent that you wouldn't have to be concerned with either of them, what would your ideal adventure look like and how would it compare to what we currently recieve?

An ideal adventure would be something akin to what Chaosium does with their deluxe adventures. It'd be in a box, come with dozens of support documents and handouts and maps and things, and cover an entire campaign all at once. And would probably cost a customer a few hundred dollars to buy, but that's no different than buying 6 adventure path volumes and a support book for the region. Just you're buying it all at once, not spread out over half a year.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
It seems that you missed my question. So I ask again. Many new characters and events are added to Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Are you or other Paizo developers involved in the storyline of the game? Or the storyline of the game is made purely by Owlcat Games?

They created the new content, but worked with us on the themes and overall ideas.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I really like Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It is a great game. I really wish Owlcat Games would make more Pathfinder CRPG in the future. Did Paizo sell them the right to produce games based on every published adventure path? Or they are allowed to produce only this one, and if they want to make more games, they have to negotiate an agreement with Paizo again? I ask this because I really wish to see a CRPG(which means, not an online game) based on Thornkeep and the Emerald Spire!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
I really like Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It is a great game. I really wish Owlcat Games would make more Pathfinder CRPG in the future. Did Paizo sell them the right to produce games based on every published adventure path? Or they are allowed to produce only this one, and if they want to make more games, they have to negotiate an agreement with Paizo again? I ask this because I really wish to see a CRPG(which means, not an online game) based on Thornkeep and the Emerald Spire!

There's certainly an opportunity for more games like Kingmaker in the future, but Emerald Spire is probably at the bottom of the list of adaptations I want to see happen to tell the truth. The Adventure Paths are MUCH riper territory to explore in this format.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
Aenigma wrote:
I really like Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It is a great game. I really wish Owlcat Games would make more Pathfinder CRPG in the future. Did Paizo sell them the right to produce games based on every published adventure path? Or they are allowed to produce only this one, and if they want to make more games, they have to negotiate an agreement with Paizo again? I ask this because I really wish to see a CRPG(which means, not an online game) based on Thornkeep and the Emerald Spire!
There's certainly an opportunity for more games like Kingmaker in the future, but Emerald Spire is probably at the bottom of the list of adaptations I want to see happen to tell the truth. The Adventure Paths are MUCH riper territory to explore in this format.

Could you give a couple examples of Adventure Paths you feel would adapt quite well to a CRPG format?


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I get a sense that almost everyone on Galarion, at least every PC and most NPCs PCs might run into, is literate in at least one language. Where do they all learn to read and write?


I want to ask many questions regarding Starfinder but it seems that you are not the appropriate person to ask. Can you tell me whom I should ask?

Dark Archive

How is Ng pronounced?


Can you use the Share Spells (teamwork) feat to cast Paragon Surge on a non-half-elf?


Are there any horror movies that you watch during Halloween?


Mr. James Jacobs,

While the origin of Brigh is mysterious, was she around during Thassilon?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
bananahell wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Aenigma wrote:
I really like Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It is a great game. I really wish Owlcat Games would make more Pathfinder CRPG in the future. Did Paizo sell them the right to produce games based on every published adventure path? Or they are allowed to produce only this one, and if they want to make more games, they have to negotiate an agreement with Paizo again? I ask this because I really wish to see a CRPG(which means, not an online game) based on Thornkeep and the Emerald Spire!
There's certainly an opportunity for more games like Kingmaker in the future, but Emerald Spire is probably at the bottom of the list of adaptations I want to see happen to tell the truth. The Adventure Paths are MUCH riper territory to explore in this format.
Could you give a couple examples of Adventure Paths you feel would adapt quite well to a CRPG format?

All of them?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ed Reppert wrote:
I get a sense that almost everyone on Galarion, at least every PC and most NPCs PCs might run into, is literate in at least one language. Where do they all learn to read and write?

A: It's spelled Golarion, with an o.

B: Parents or tutors or schools.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
I want to ask many questions regarding Starfinder but it seems that you are not the appropriate person to ask. Can you tell me whom I should ask?

Rob's my Creative Director counterpart on the Starfinder side of things but he's not as active on these boards, so you might be out of luck. Sorry.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Creon Vizcarra wrote:
How is Ng pronounced?

Like any word that ends in "-ing" but without the stuff that comes before the "-ing." And don't spend much time on the "i".

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Drill la Drill wrote:
Can you use the Share Spells (teamwork) feat to cast Paragon Surge on a non-half-elf?

Ask your GM if you want a fast answer. Otherwise, rules questions need to be asked in the rules forums.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
The NPC wrote:

Mr. James Jacobs,

While the origin of Brigh is mysterious, was she around during Thassilon?

She wasn't worshiped in Thassilon.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Selene Spires wrote:
Are there any horror movies that you watch during Halloween?

Whatever new ones are out. Which is the same for any month, really. AKA: I watch so many horror movies all the time that Halloween doesn't really see much of a change for me, and I'm generally looking for stuff I've not seen before and don't really have a tradition of watching a specific movie on a specific day of the year.


Mivonis Vanderale is the current head of House Vanderale in Magnimar. How should I pronounce his name?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Do the 7 schools of Thassilonian magic have colors associated with each of the sins? For example, I notice Alaznist has a lot of red, which plays into Wrath pretty easily, and Karzoug seemed to wear a lot of green.


Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Do you ever play around with alternate cosmology? Like an outer sphere that is divorced from the old ideas of the Abyss, Hell, Heaven and Nirvana etc. Not necessarily for publishing, but more of a intellectual/creative exercise?

Liberty's Edge

Ok, this is a weird one, but let me try to explain:
At least here in Brazil, we grown up kinda of assuming Heaven is somewhere "up" and Hell is "down". We even use the same word for Heaven and Sky. So, would dwarves in Golarion assume that their paradise is "up" or "down"?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
Mivonis Vanderale is the current head of House Vanderale in Magnimar. How should I pronounce his name?

I pronounce it:

mih-VONE-us VAN-der-ale

73,151 to 73,200 of 77,836 << first < prev | 1459 | 1460 | 1461 | 1462 | 1463 | 1464 | 1465 | 1466 | 1467 | 1468 | 1469 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.