>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

72,951 to 73,000 of 77,816 << first < prev | 1455 | 1456 | 1457 | 1458 | 1459 | 1460 | 1461 | 1462 | 1463 | 1464 | 1465 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
HTD wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

For canonical updates to the setting once we switch to the 2nd edition rules... you'll need to wait until we switch. Not quite ready to reveal that information yet.


Nualia's left hand has been transformed into a red demonic talon. If Nualia is redeemed, will her talon be reverted back to her normal hand? Or maybe should I cast atonement or wish?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Mr. Jacobs

Would an Aasmiar born of pure-blood Azlanti humans, have the Aasimar's racial ability adjustments or those of the Pure-blood Azlanti human?

Sincerely
- Shadeworld


Shadeworld wrote:

Mr. Jacobs

Would an Aasmiar born of pure-blood Azlanti humans, have the Aasimar's racial ability adjustments or those of the Pure-blood Azlanti human?

Sincerely
- Shadeworld

Seconding that question, and adding:

^ almost same, but normal human (instead of Aasimar) x pure-blood Azlanti human?

Hard mode: answer isn't "increase point buy". ?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
Nualia's left hand has been transformed into a red demonic talon. If Nualia is redeemed, will her talon be reverted back to her normal hand? Or maybe should I cast atonement or wish?

That's 100% up to the GM.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Shadeworld wrote:

Mr. Jacobs

Would an Aasmiar born of pure-blood Azlanti humans, have the Aasimar's racial ability adjustments or those of the Pure-blood Azlanti human?

Sincerely
- Shadeworld

It'd have aasimar ability adjustments, since it's still an aasimar.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Souls At War wrote:
Shadeworld wrote:

Mr. Jacobs

Would an Aasmiar born of pure-blood Azlanti humans, have the Aasimar's racial ability adjustments or those of the Pure-blood Azlanti human?

Sincerely
- Shadeworld

Seconding that question, and adding:

^ almost same, but normal human (instead of Aasimar) x pure-blood Azlanti human?

Hard mode: answer isn't "increase point buy". ?

Normal human, since the whole point of being a pure-blood Azlanti is that both of your parents were also Azlanti.


James Jacobs wrote:
Souls At War wrote:
Shadeworld wrote:

Mr. Jacobs

Would an Aasmiar born of pure-blood Azlanti humans, have the Aasimar's racial ability adjustments or those of the Pure-blood Azlanti human?

Sincerely
- Shadeworld

Seconding that question, and adding:

^ almost same, but normal human (instead of Aasimar) x pure-blood Azlanti human?

Hard mode: answer isn't "increase point buy". ?

Normal human, since the whole point of being a pure-blood Azlanti is that both of your parents were also Azlanti.

Still, what kind of adjustments might fit a mix of normal human with pure-blood Azlanti?


What CRs would you put the Queens of the Night at?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Et cetera et cetera wrote:
What CRs would you put the Queens of the Night at?

Probably 1 each at CR 27–30.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Souls At War wrote:
Still, what kind of adjustments might fit a mix of normal human with pure-blood Azlanti?

No adjustments. What you're talking about is just a human.


Do you have a favourite Queen of the Night? What would your reasoning be for that decision?


James Jacobs wrote:
Souls At War wrote:
Still, what kind of adjustments might fit a mix of normal human with pure-blood Azlanti?
No adjustments. What you're talking about is just a human.

Half-Azlanti human...

Is it just me or you don't like those types of questions?


Which Queen of the Night do you imagine being the most powerful, least powerful, etc.?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pharasmin wrote:
Do you have a favourite Queen of the Night? What would your reasoning be for that decision?

Probably Doloras, because of some really cool stuff Amanda's done with her history to build on Wes's original design.


Nualia didn't tell her father her relationship with Delek. Was it because Ezakien was a racist who despised Varisians? Or was it because he wanted her to remain virgin for the rest of her life?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Souls At War wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Souls At War wrote:
Still, what kind of adjustments might fit a mix of normal human with pure-blood Azlanti?
No adjustments. What you're talking about is just a human.

Half-Azlanti human...

Is it just me or you don't like those types of questions?

It's not that I don't like these types of questions, it's just that they're simple to answer.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Et cetera et cetera wrote:
Which Queen of the Night do you imagine being the most powerful, least powerful, etc.?

Not sure yet... haven't put much thought into that.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
Nualia didn't tell her father her relationship with Delek. Was it because Ezakien was a racist who despised Varisians? Or was it because he wanted her to remain virgin for the rest of her life?

She didn't tell him because she knew he was overprotective (to a psychologically damaging extent) and because she was rebelling against his overbearing nature.


Nualia is an aasimar. Was her father a celestial, or was her mother? And was he or she an angel, an archon, an agathion, or an azata?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
Nualia is an aasimar. Was her father a celestial, or was her mother? And was he or she an angel, an archon, an agathion, or an azata?

Unrevealed, deliberately so. There might be a point in the future where I do more with her backstory, and I'm not ready to reveal that information yet.


Can we see more about the hellstorm flumes in Return of the Runelords? I really wish to see the rules regarding the hellstorm flumes.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
Can we see more about the hellstorm flumes in Return of the Runelords? I really wish to see the rules regarding the hellstorm flumes.

Sort of, yes.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I don't know who wrote and designed the character of Estra, but considering your position, they had to probably take it past you. She has Honaire, a phantom of a knight she summons to help her fight bad guys.

Is Honaire in any way an hommage to Solaire from Dark Souls?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Aenigma wrote:
Nualia is an aasimar. Was her father a celestial, or was her mother? And was he or she an angel, an archon, an agathion, or an azata?
Unrevealed, deliberately so. There might be a point in the future where I do more with her backstory, and I'm not ready to reveal that information yet.

!!!!

I would love to see more about that :3

Question: any video games coming out in the near future you're interested/excited in?


Return of the Runelords spoiler:
In Pathfinder: Hollow Mountain, Xanderghul and Alaznist looked like great friends. Xanderghul bothered to come to Hollow Mountain to warn Alaznist of impending doom. If it were not for his timely warning, Alaznist would not have had enough time to enter her runewell, considering the Earthfall hit Thassilon immediately after Xanderghul left. Thus she owes him her life. He even said that she was always his favorite, that she can aid him in restoring Thassilon to greatness. Thus I thought that in Return of the Runelords they would be working together to rebuild Thassilon. Yet one of the first things Alaznist did after she came our from her runewell was slaying Xanderghul without hesitation, just because he is her strongest rival and enemy. Enemy? I thought they are friends. Or it was only Xanderghul that considered Alaznist as a friend, and Alaznist has never liked him?


Is the 'sparsely inhabited high-altitude desert found in the shadow of the world's largest mountain range' mentioned in Bezravnis' entry in Bestiary 4 supposed to be Shaguang?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Threeshades wrote:

I don't know who wrote and designed the character of Estra, but considering your position, they had to probably take it past you. She has Honaire, a phantom of a knight she summons to help her fight bad guys.

Is Honaire in any way an hommage to Solaire from Dark Souls?

I didn't write her story and I don't recall who did, but I'm pretty sure it's not an homage since the Dark Souls fans in house and the possible writers of said iconic don't overlap.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
Question: any video games coming out in the near future you're interested/excited in?

Call of Cthulhu

The Sinking City
Metro: Exodus
Pathfinder Kingmaker
The Last of Us 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
The new whats-it-called from From Software.
Fallout 76 (unless it's got lame PVP stuff baked in in which case I am very disappoint)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:

Spoiler:
In Pathfinder: Hollow Mountain, Xanderghul and Alaznist looked like great friends. Xanderghul bothered to come to Hollow Mountain to warn Alaznist of impending doom. If it were not for his timely warning, Alaznist would not have had enough time to enter her runewell, considering the Earthfall hit Thassilon immediately after Xanderghul left. Thus she owes him her life. He even said that she was always his favorite, that she can aid him in restoring Thassilon to greatness. Thus I thought that in Return of the Runelords they would be working together to rebuild Thassilon. Yet one of the first things Alaznist did after she came our from her runewell was slaying Xanderghul without hesitation, just because he is her strongest rival and enemy. Enemy? I thought they are friends. Or it was only Xanderghul that considered Alaznist as a friend, and Alaznist has never liked him?

They are not great friends. The comic kinda got that wrong, alas. Xanderghul is so proud that he can't imagine any other (runelord included) could EVER pose a threat to him, which is a fundamental flaw of his character, and Alaznist knows that the time wasn't right to strike. Think of them as hating each other but being coldly and sarcastically polite to each other, waiting and hoping for the other to slip up and provide an opportunity to stab the other in the back if you will.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
HTD wrote:
Is the 'sparsely inhabited high-altitude desert found in the shadow of the world's largest mountain range' mentioned in Bezravnis' entry in Bestiary 4 supposed to be Shaguang?

Yes.

Example #392 why we now feel free to mention world elements in our rulebooks... because it's frustrating and confusing when it comes to things like this.


In the comic, Xanderghul said that when the succession didn't go their way, veiled masters called down stones from the skies that smashed the palace apart. He also said that the emperor of Azlant asked him to become the emperor of Azlant, but Aroden ruined it by claiming the Azlanti Diamond for himself. Does that mean, veiled masters wanted Xanderghul to take the throne? In other words, if Xanderghul succeeded in taking the throne of Azlant, veiled masters would not have called down the devastation of Earthfall?


James Jacobs wrote:
HTD wrote:
Is the 'sparsely inhabited high-altitude desert found in the shadow of the world's largest mountain range' mentioned in Bezravnis' entry in Bestiary 4 supposed to be Shaguang?

Yes.

Example #392 why we now feel free to mention world elements in our rulebooks... because it's frustrating and confusing when it comes to things like this.

And Yarthoon also lives on the moon of Golarion and not just the moon of some random planet, right?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
In the comic, Xanderghul said that when the succession didn't go their way, veiled masters called down stones from the skies that smashed the palace apart. He also said that the emperor of Azlant asked him to become the emperor of Azlant, but Aroden ruined it by claiming the Azlanti Diamond for himself. Does that mean, veiled masters wanted Xanderghul to take the throne? In other words, if Xanderghul succeeded in taking the throne of Azlant, veiled masters would not have called down the devastation of Earthfall?

Maybe, maybe not.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
HTD wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
HTD wrote:
Is the 'sparsely inhabited high-altitude desert found in the shadow of the world's largest mountain range' mentioned in Bezravnis' entry in Bestiary 4 supposed to be Shaguang?

Yes.

Example #392 why we now feel free to mention world elements in our rulebooks... because it's frustrating and confusing when it comes to things like this.

And Yarthoon also lives on the moon of Golarion and not just the moon of some random planet, right?

Correct.


Return of the Runelords spoiler:
To create her own runewell, Belimarius received help from Karzoug. Unbeknownst to all, Karzoug provided faulty advice. Eventually she activated her flawed runewell in an attempt to create the Eye of Jealousy, but the runewell instead self-destructed. It is very strange that a mighty runelord like Belimarius wan't able to find out the flaw in the runewell. Was it because she had no enough time? I mean, because Earthfall started much sooner than expected, she had to activate the runewell without enough check? That if she had more time, she would surely have found out the flaw in her runewell and fixed it?


Where are the divine realms of Tiamat, the Azlanti and Osirian gods?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

5 people marked this as a favorite.
HTD wrote:
Where are the divine realms of Tiamat, the Azlanti and Osirian gods?

Tiamat: We're pretty much done talking about her. Feel free to use her lore from D&D. We can't.

Alanti pantheon: Unrevealed.

Osirion pantheon: Unrevealed, but perhaps their own plane that isn't really a part of the Great Beyond.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
Spoiler:
To create her own runewell, Belimarius received help from Karzoug. Unbeknownst to all, Karzoug provided faulty advice. Eventually she activated her flawed runewell in an attempt to create the Eye of Jealousy, but the runewell instead self-destructed. It is very strange that a mighty runelord like Belimarius wan't able to find out the flaw in the runewell. Was it because she had no enough time? I mean, because Earthfall started much sooner than expected, she had to activate the runewell without enough check? That if she had more time, she would surely have found out the flaw in her runewell and fixed it?

Spoiler:
It was because she rushed the job, didn't have the time to double check the math, and because Karzoug was just sneakier than her and tricked her... this should speak more to Karzoug's power than Belimarius's lack of power.

But even if Belimarius DID notice the flaw, it would have been beyond her power to fix it. Runewells are artifacts and as such don't follow standard item creation rules, and Belimarius simply LACKS the power to create one. That's a big part of the flaw... she doesn't realize and can't admit to herself that even if Karzoug gave her the real recipe she'd STILL fail, but Karzoug wanted her trapped, not just dead, so he gave her the flawed instructions so that she couldn't even be resurrected in the future.


Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Do you have a notebook (or several) somewhere where you have a bunch of story lines or fleshing out story hooks that just haven't made it into print yet?


Nocticula is mentioned to have a "Brother", Socothbenoth. So far their relationship was apparently as, erm, "good" as a relationship between two Chaotic Evil near-deities (who both have the Charm/Lust (sub)domains) could be.

Now, with Nocticula's ascension and alignment shift, on a scale of "continuing as before" to "all out war", how much is their relationship going to change?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Rajnish Umbra, Shadow Caller wrote:

Nocticula is mentioned to have a "Brother", Socothbenoth. So far their relationship was apparently as, erm, "good" as a relationship between two Chaotic Evil near-deities (who both have the Charm/Lust (sub)domains) could be.

Now, with Nocticula's ascension and alignment shift, on a scale of "continuing as before" to "all out war", how much is their relationship going to change?

Read their entries in the Book of the Damned hardcover for the update, but the short version is that they are now enemies.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
j b 200 wrote:
Do you have a notebook (or several) somewhere where you have a bunch of story lines or fleshing out story hooks that just haven't made it into print yet?

yup

Notebooks and text files—physical and digital notes.


James Jacobs wrote:
Rajnish Umbra, Shadow Caller wrote:

Nocticula is mentioned to have a "Brother", Socothbenoth. So far their relationship was apparently as, erm, "good" as a relationship between two Chaotic Evil near-deities (who both have the Charm/Lust (sub)domains) could be.

Now, with Nocticula's ascension and alignment shift, on a scale of "continuing as before" to "all out war", how much is their relationship going to change?

Read their entries in the Book of the Damned hardcover for the update, but the short version is that they are now enemies.

Secothbenoth's entry in Book of the Damned implies a potential transition into an Infernal Duke. Will this be covered in any upcoming material?


Is there any chance in the future that you guys will elaborate on the listed philosophy Ichimeiyo?

I speculate that it's supposed to be mostly a reflection on the Japanese code of chivalry Bushido but it only has a paragraph that I've seen saying it's simply a code of honor.

Or go into more detail about what exactly that code of honor entails? Asides from just striving to always be better.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
bananahell wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rajnish Umbra, Shadow Caller wrote:

Nocticula is mentioned to have a "Brother", Socothbenoth. So far their relationship was apparently as, erm, "good" as a relationship between two Chaotic Evil near-deities (who both have the Charm/Lust (sub)domains) could be.

Now, with Nocticula's ascension and alignment shift, on a scale of "continuing as before" to "all out war", how much is their relationship going to change?

Read their entries in the Book of the Damned hardcover for the update, but the short version is that they are now enemies.
Secothbenoth's entry in Book of the Damned implies a potential transition into an Infernal Duke. Will this be covered in any upcoming material?

No plans for that, no.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
DeltaCain wrote:

Is there any chance in the future that you guys will elaborate on the listed philosophy Ichimeiyo?

I speculate that it's supposed to be mostly a reflection on the Japanese code of chivalry Bushido but it only has a paragraph that I've seen saying it's simply a code of honor.

Or go into more detail about what exactly that code of honor entails? Asides from just striving to always be better.

If we publish something, then by the simple fact we published it there's a chance we'll explore it further in a future project. It's not something I personally intend to further explore anytime soon, though.


Quick question, would you say cannibalism is an evil act or a chaotic evil act?


Is the Eye of Abendego directly linked to Aroden's death, or was it coincidental that it occurred at the same time?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
j b 200 wrote:
Do you have a notebook (or several) somewhere where you have a bunch of story lines or fleshing out story hooks that just haven't made it into print yet?

yup

Notebooks and text files—physical and digital notes.

Do you have a preference for which you use for what?

72,951 to 73,000 of 77,816 << first < prev | 1455 | 1456 | 1457 | 1458 | 1459 | 1460 | 1461 | 1462 | 1463 | 1464 | 1465 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.