>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

7,201 to 7,250 of 77,094 << first < prev | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kajehase wrote:
How would you go about re-jigging the prerequisites for the Genie Binder prestige class for Pathfinder rules. The thing I'm thinking about first of all is, what, if anything, would you replace the Persuasive feat requirement with?

Umm... no replacement needed? Persuasive is still in Pathfinder.


James if you were the DM how would you handle this situation? http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderR PG/advice/inGameResolutionAdvice&page=1#4


ulgulanoth wrote:
how could you (i) justify putting templates like giant or advanced to humans? what would that represent? or is it just a bad idea?

They could have gigantism. I'm thinking Robert Wadlow was definitely Large-size.

As for advanced... wizardry/eugenics?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

James Jacobs wrote:
JMD031 wrote:

Hmm, the way I see it, the fact that you have avoided answering the question means that either you can't or you don't wish to. Either way it appears I will be unable to settle this debate. I suppose a bit of background history would have made it better. Basically, a player in my gaming group was talking about how Hasbro was considering potentially selling the DnD license. I made the comment that I don't forsee anyone purchasing said license in the near future. The player mentioned that he read on the forums that Paizo would consider it to which I replied "Why? They are doing just fine with what they have." I was attempting to see if I was right so that I could inevitablly rub it in his face.

You'll need to resolve that on your own, since I'm not gonna be commenting directly on the topic, beyond saying that I'm incredibly proud of what Paizo's done with Pathfinder, and I'd be naturally wary about any sale of D&D since I'm not an IP lawyer.

I would just note that on these very boards, you can find many threads where folks ask us if we'd consider launching another campaign setting, to which we generally reply that segmenting the audience like that requires you to publish more support books, while ensuring that you'll sell fewer copies of each—and that's a classic mistake that we won't be making.

Given that, would purchasing a dozen already established campaign settings sound like a wise choice for us?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

mdt wrote:

I've always had problems visualizing detect magic, so I usually use it as a visual spell.

The way I handle it is, you look forward in a cone, and begin to see circles in your vision (roughly corresponding to the auras), as you continue to concentrate, those circles tighten and brighten around the sources, then finally they begin to gain color, indicating the schools of magic. The brighter the aura the stronger it is (and strong auras can 'bleach out' weaker ones).

I know that's not the way the spell is laid out, but it seems to work better for the players as they can more easily visualize how it's working.

Can you see anything wrong with using that approach that I've been missing? It's not as good as Arcane Sight.

As long as you're cool with it, it's fine. You don't have to satisfy me! :)


James Jacobs wrote:
The Guardian Beyond Beyond wrote:
Would dropping a meteorite on the Worldwound using the Earthfall glyphs make things better or worse?
Better for the forces creating the Worldwound (since it'd make that crack in the world a lot bigger), worse for pretty much everyone else.

I was hoping it would fuse shut the crack that lets the demon through or at least kill off most of them so that somebody could go in and whatever planar breach exists before the demons can return in numbers. is this still possible maybe with a precise meteorite strike?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ulgulanoth wrote:
how could you (i) justify putting templates like giant or advanced to humans? what would that represent? or is it just a bad idea?

The only time I'd use these templates on a human is if I decided I needed to make one of a group of identical stat blocks a bit tougher as a leader, in which case I'd put the advanced template on him. The players would never know—they'd just know that guy was tougher and would just assume he had 2 more levels of whatever.

I generaly don't use the giant template at all. If I'm building stats before hand, I manually work them out using the rules for changing size categories and add a few Hit Dice.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

David Schwartz wrote:
Looking to buy a house?

HA! Cool.

On the wrong side of the continent to interest me for real, though.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
joela wrote:

South Park Takes on Human Centipede

Do you plan to see it?

I don't watch South Park. Not a fan of the crude animation style or the sense of humor. Too shrill and annoying.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The Guardian Beyond Beyond wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
The Guardian Beyond Beyond wrote:
Would dropping a meteorite on the Worldwound using the Earthfall glyphs make things better or worse?
Better for the forces creating the Worldwound (since it'd make that crack in the world a lot bigger), worse for pretty much everyone else.
I was hoping it would fuse shut the crack that lets the demon through or at least kill off most of them so that somebody could go in and whatever planar breach exists before the demons can return in numbers. is this still possible maybe with a precise meteorite strike?

I'd say no. Because the Worldwound is too cool to get rid of without forcing the PCs to throw down with Deskari in personal combat.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

What about a human with dwarfism? Young template?


James Jacobs wrote:

I'd say no. Because the Worldwound is too cool to get rid of without forcing the PCs to throw down with Deskari in personal combat.

Are there any stats for Deskari?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:

I would just note that on these very boards, you can find many threads where folks ask us if we'd consider launching another campaign setting, to which we generally reply that segmenting the audience like that requires you to publish more support books, while ensuring that you'll sell fewer copies of each—and that's a classic mistake that we won't be making.

Given that, would purchasing a dozen already established campaign settings sound like a wise choice for us?

Thanks Vic.

Dark Archive

The Guardian Beyond Beyond wrote:
Are there any stats for Deskari?

Not yet. They're waiting until they have epic level rules done before they stat up demon lords because they don't want to have old sets of stats that don't work well with those epic rules floating around when they do make them.

There is some information on him in Book of the Damned II: Lords of Chaos, but that doesn't include stats.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:
What about a human with dwarfism? Young template?

Just build a normal human and then adjust his/her stats from Medium to Small, as detailed on page 296 on tables 2-2 and 2-3 of the Bestiary.

If you're bothering to build stats beforehand... you should really use those rules for size changes. They're more accurate.

The Giant and Young templates are for use during game play when you want to do a quick adjustment to a stat block without having to rebuild it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The Guardian Beyond Beyond wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

I'd say no. Because the Worldwound is too cool to get rid of without forcing the PCs to throw down with Deskari in personal combat.

Are there any stats for Deskari?

Nope. Not until we know what post-20th level play works like. If we were still using 3.5 D&D rules, Deskari would be about CR 30 or so. I'm not comfortable statting up anything beyond CR 25 with the current rules.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

If/when Tar-Baphon returns, will Arazni lead a force of undead across the Inner Sea to try to stomp him down and avenge herself? Would she (briefly) play nice with the other forces arrayed against the Whispering Tyrant or would it bog down into a three-way fight?


Vic Wertz wrote:
I would just note that on these very boards, you can find many threads where folks ask us if we'd consider launching another campaign setting, to which we generally reply that segmenting the audience like that requires you to publish more support books, while ensuring that you'll sell fewer copies of each—and that's a classic mistake that we won't be making.

I have to admire the fact Paizo has the freedom to make good choices without worrying about making their stock prices rise every year for investors. You guys also have done a great job creating a campaign world where you can get a multitude of style and flavor without dividing your customers. Essentially eleminating the need for separate product lines. One rule set, many choices.

Vic Wertz wrote:


Given that, would purchasing a dozen already established campaign settings sound like a wise choice for us?

No, but the name does carry weight and someone will likely pick it up. I wonder if 5th edition will harken back more toward its roots on the coat-tails of your success.

back@James, Noticed the pregen characters were taken out of the latest AP, would you consider adding them to the AP players guide line for us in the future? Seems more appropriate there anyway.


Serious Question: Since in Golarion, there is no 'Blood War', would it be far-fetched to have a powerful Demon/Devil with a large number of weaker slaves of the other type as shock/suicide troops?

Since they are all 'Evil with a side of Lawful/Chaos' and no longer killing each other in the trillions because they are bored/fighting for alignment supremacy/having fun, would it be viable for a Demon to keep a smart, but weaker, Devil around as an advisor for their evil schemes?


HalfOrcHeavyMetal wrote:

Serious Question: Since in Golarion, there is no 'Blood War', would it be far-fetched to have a powerful Demon/Devil with a large number of weaker slaves of the other type as shock/suicide troops?

Since they are all 'Evil with a side of Lawful/Chaos' and no longer killing each other in the trillions because they are bored/fighting for alignment supremacy/having fun, would it be viable for a Demon to keep a smart, but weaker, Devil around as an advisor for their evil schemes?

This always annoyed me...but even with the full on Blood War there were some Demonbs and Devils that worked together...even as full and equal partners. The Blood War was not all consuming as people thought it was...

So I know I am not James but considering the answear would be yes with the Blood War...I don't see how it can be 'no' without it.

Sorry James hit upon a pet peeve of my.


If there was to be a Pathfinder/Golarion Movie, would you guys wrangle a walk-on scene for yourselves, ah-la Stan Lee style?

On a more serious note

Contains Medusa Shenanigans and the Dreaded ERP:
, yesterday I was GMing for the the B-Group, and a couple of the female players had complained that there was no 'beefcake' in the game for them, nor any strong female NPCs, a few weeks back. So with a bit of a change, I swapped out the leader of the local smuggling group from a Rogue with access to a Mace of Petrification, to a Medusa Oracle with an interest in rapidly increasing the numbers of her species.

Now, I do not allow full-out acting. If the PCs go in that direction, it's a fade to black scene under my watch, but otherwise the game is fairly clean, just lots of standard Hollywood Fantasy Fetish from the players, armor that completely averts it's purpose, weapons the size of small horses, Cohorts that are incoceivably loyal to their self-absorbed Heroes, yadda yadda yadda.

PCs go into the lushly appointed dungeon ... and there is a room, elegantly decorated with thick bear-skin rugs, walls with lush, eroticly-themed paintings and a roaring fireplace ... and several nude statues of pretty young men, Elf and Human in poses that match the paintings.

Female players go "SQUEEEEEEEEEE!" and ask for more details, which I say "Use your imaginations, same as they do with the chainmail bikini elves." Pointing to the male players. PCs eventually meet the medusa, have a pow-wow and enlist her aid thanks to some very hefty bribes and an oath signed in blood that they will help her campaign to have the Medusa race recognised as 'People' under the law with their connections.

When the Paladin asks why the statues are the way they are, and if they are people, the medusa smiles, taps her veil and says "Nice guys finish last. I'll turn them back later tonight and see if they've learned that lesson yet."

Female players are estatic that the 'big player' in the underground scene is not only a Woman, but a powerful one and one who is the top dog in her relationships. Most of the Male players are a bit ~_~' about it, but one has started to get a bit stupid about the whole thing. Now, I'll admit that their age group (they are late-teens early twenties) sex-appeal figures pretty heavily into their characters and the world of the game, but his antics have become quite disturbing to the point of being emailed and phone-called repeatedly on the subject and being told that the entire group would boycott if I did not retconn the Medusa out of the story. After ringing up the rest of B-Group, nobody had any real problems (girls b*&$~ed at me about not having pictures of the boys, guys complained about the lack of hack'n'slash in the campaign so far.) with the inclusion of the Medusa or her dom ways.

Any suggestions on how to point out to this player that fantasy does not have to be male-orientated to be good? Any particular series and/or movies you could recommend I sit him down to watch to get the point across? He's the youngest of the group, only 19, so I am a little concerned he might be feeling 'challenged' by the Medusa.

Sorry for asking this but I'm just a wee bit weirded out by this sudden turn from a fairly normal guy into 'hater from hell'.

Also, would you guys ever sneak the smurfs into Golarion, or ... wait ... looks at the Mites ....

Oh you son of a ....


mathpro18 wrote:
James if you were the DM how would you handle this situation? http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderR PG/advice/inGameResolutionAdvice&page=1#4

Making actual link like this one by using BBCode is the way to do things.


HalfOrcHeavyMetal wrote:

Serious Question: Since in Golarion, there is no 'Blood War', would it be far-fetched to have a powerful Demon/Devil with a large number of weaker slaves of the other type as shock/suicide troops?

Since they are all 'Evil with a side of Lawful/Chaos' and no longer killing each other in the trillions because they are bored/fighting for alignment supremacy/having fun, would it be viable for a Demon to keep a smart, but weaker, Devil around as an advisor for their evil schemes?

Demons are probably smarter than me, and I would not trust a devil as an advisor if it was a prisoner. Well I would not trust one anyway, but one that had extra reasons to do me harm is even worse. Assuming 3.5 methodology applies to pathfinder demons just have trouble staying focused for the extent that devils do, which is why they can't/don't use the same plan.


HalfOrcHeavyMetal wrote:

If there was to be a Pathfinder/Golarion Movie, would you guys wrangle a walk-on scene for yourselves, ah-la Stan Lee style?

On a more serious note ** spoiler omitted **...

For the females I would just tell them that you don't do "visual" images or discriptions in your games. As to the guy he just has to give up his sexism.

At no point do you let a player pull an "or else" on you unless you are being unfair about something rules wise or what you do is personally offensive by a reasonable person standard. You can never please everyone so please who you can, to an extent. If the guy wants to leave then let him walk.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
HalfOrcHeavyMetal wrote:
On a more serious note ** spoiler omitted **...

Spoiler:
Some examples of female-centric fantasy-fiction you may want to point him to: Shadows & Starlight trilogy by Elaine Cunningham (not sure if these are still in print, though), The Deeds of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon, Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, and Kushiel's Avatar by Jacqueline Carey. (Mind you, if he finds that medusa challenging, he might just go somewhat bug-eyed once Melisande Sharizai makes her entrance... *grins*)

I have the Kushiel trilogy, but I think that might possibly send him around the twist. In a twist of Irony, I'm the one that got them all reading Anne Bishop's Black Jewel series, which the entire group, including this player, loved to bits. Go figure.

Dark Archive

would Merisiel Sillvari answer our questions if she had her own thread?

Owner - House of Books and Games LLC

James Jacobs wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Ringtail wrote:

What are the coolest houserules you've ever played with / encountered?

What are the lamest houserules you've ever played with / encountered?

Apologies if you've answered something similar already; I've not read through all 158 pages of this thread.

Lamest House Rule: Jason Nelson's falling damage. 1d6 at 10 feet, 3d6 at 20, 6d6 at 30, 10d6 at 40, and so on. Makes falling damage ridiculously deadly, since it's so easy to fall short distances in the game.

I do hope that falling damage has a cap. Falling damage is not deadly enough in my opinion, but the "so on" might be overdoing it.

It capped at either 20d6 or whatever 200 feet worked out to.

The funny thing about falling damage "not being deadly enough" is that if you "fix" it to be accurate, you're treating falling damage differently than EVERY other form of damage in the game. Hit points aren't supposed to be a "realistic" measure of the amount of abuse a human body can endure.

There was an insanely detailed article in an old issue of the Dragon (issue 88 as it happens) that totally debunks the geometric falling damage idea - it's completely unrealistic. It took the guy something like 5 pages and a zillion equations, but the crux of it came out to:

1. Falling damage was pretty close to linear.
2. Falling damage from 10 feet should be 3d6.
3. Terminal velocity kicks in at 256 feet, so 20d6 damage should be at about 270 feet.

As a result, falls of less than 140 feet would be more deadly, and falls of less than 140 feet would be less deadly until they equaled out at about 270 feet. My conclusion back then was it really wasn't worth revamping the system unless you were trying to kill low-level characters with pits. I haven't really changed my mind any.

As an aside, one interesting thing I noticed about Pathfinder as compared to 3.5e was that they made falling objects far less deadly.

3.5 SRD wrote:
For each 200 pounds of an object’s weight, the object deals 1d6 points of damage, provided it falls at least 10 feet.
PRD wrote:
Objects that fall upon characters deal damage based on their size and the distance they have fallen. ... If an object falls more than 150 feet, it deals double the listed damage.

The table identifies Colossal objects as doing 10d6 damage, and the rules do not support objects larger than Colossal.

Basically, under Pathfinder, no object can do more than 20d6 damage if it falls on you - and no character with more than 120 hit points can ever be killed by a falling object, even if it's, say, an entire mountainside.

Comparison: a 15-foot diameter boulder (Huge) from 10 feet. Note that this rock could weigh somewhere from 60 to 300 tons depending on shape and material (about 295 tons for a 15-foot cube of granite).

Pathfinder: 6d6 damage, 12d6 if from more than 150 feet.
3.5e: 600d6-3000d6 damage from 10 feet.

Heheheh. And you thought drowning was deadly :)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

CNichols wrote:
If/when Tar-Baphon returns, will Arazni lead a force of undead across the Inner Sea to try to stomp him down and avenge herself? Would she (briefly) play nice with the other forces arrayed against the Whispering Tyrant or would it bog down into a three-way fight?

Arazni's pretty far removed from Tar-Baphon these days, and since he messed her up once before, and since she's now undead and thus probably not a big concern for Tar-Baphon and the Whispering Way... those three reasons are pretty good ones why she wouldn't want to mess with Tar-Baphon if he wakes up. They'd actually probably be pals. Or at least, respectful of each other's power.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

HalfOrcHeavyMetal wrote:

Serious Question: Since in Golarion, there is no 'Blood War', would it be far-fetched to have a powerful Demon/Devil with a large number of weaker slaves of the other type as shock/suicide troops?

Since they are all 'Evil with a side of Lawful/Chaos' and no longer killing each other in the trillions because they are bored/fighting for alignment supremacy/having fun, would it be viable for a Demon to keep a smart, but weaker, Devil around as an advisor for their evil schemes?

Demons and Devils don't really have much of an established interaction in the Great Beyond. There's certainly no Blood War. They're after different things, and there's enough mortals to satisfy both of those needs anyway.

But as for demons and devils actively working together... that'd be unusual. Not impossible, but exceptionally unusual. If an author wanted to set something like that up in a book they were writing for us... let's just say that author's writing chops would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY better than average in order to pull it off in a way that pleases me and thus avoids getting cut.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

HalfOrcHeavyMetal wrote:

If there was to be a Pathfinder/Golarion Movie, would you guys wrangle a walk-on scene for yourselves, ah-la Stan Lee style?

On a more serious note ** spoiler omitted **...

I would hope not, regarding a supposed Golarion movie, since I'd like to see that movie produced with a high level of quality and respect. Cameos of Paizo employees would be kinda silly, in my mind. If they WERE to happen... I'd make sure that anyone who had an actual speaking part didn't ruin the whole thing... :-P

As for your spoilered question...

Spoiler:
...that's a tough one. I applaud you for turning the tables, first of all, on the male/female cliches and all that.

I assume your trouble player doesn't have problems with the game when women are objectified? Because showing someone how it feels to have their gender objectified can be pretty educational. If, on the other hand, he DOES have similar problems with women being objectified, then perhaps your point has been made and you should consider toning back on ALL of that type of content.

And if it's just a case of being homophobic or otherwise not comfortable with being exposed to male-themed sexy stuff, you should make the decision on if you want to keep playing with that player (and removing that content from your game) or losing that player (and keeping that content in your game).

All of that, of course, precludes actually talking to the player to chat things over.

In the end, the game should be comfortable for all players, and if you want to keep the guys in the group, you might want to just tone down the edgy content all around—for both genders.

It's certainly a tricky and kind of awkward subject... especially in the case of young adults who haven't had the life experience yet to fully come to terms with diversity issues and all that.

That all said, the best case is that the problem player gets over his homophobia/sexisim and emerges from your game a more mature person. If he's not interested in that, he should leave the game... ESPECIALLY if everyone else in the game is quite enjoying the new tone of the game.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

wraithstrike wrote:
mathpro18 wrote:
James if you were the DM how would you handle this situation? http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderR PG/advice/inGameResolutionAdvice&page=1#4
Making actual link like this one by using BBCode is the way to do things.

Ah.

That's a tricky issue. And in my opinion... the tricky part isn't that the PC did stuff on his own—that's actually cool. The tricky part is that the GM granted that PC extra experience points that put him ahead of the rest of the group. That can create an unnecessary level of competition between players, as well as jealousy.

My advice there is to give the rest of the party the same amount of XP that the assassin gained. Tell the other players that the assassin's player did some extracurricular roleplaying and advanced the storyline of the campaign and let the PCs themselves roleplay out how they come to terms with the situation—but the fact that the assassin earned his companions some XP should help soothe any ruffled feathers.

And beyond that, the GM should ABSOLUTELY invite other players to have their characters go on solo missions if they wish as well, with success bringing more XP to the party in the same way.

Scarab Sages

James Jacobs wrote:

Ah.

That's a tricky issue. And in my opinion... the tricky part isn't that the PC did stuff on his own—that's actually cool. The tricky part is that the GM granted that PC extra experience points that put him ahead of the rest of the group. That can create an unnecessary level of competition between players, as well as jealousy.

My advice there is to give the rest of the party the same amount of XP that the assassin gained. Tell the other players that the assassin's player did some extracurricular roleplaying and advanced the storyline of the campaign and let the PCs themselves roleplay out how they come to terms with the situation—but the fact that the assassin earned his companions some XP should help soothe any ruffled feathers.

And beyond that, the GM should ABSOLUTELY invite other players to have their characters go on solo missions if they wish as well, with success bringing more XP to the party in the same way.

I did a solo mission for a player in my Kingmaker campaign. However, it was only because

(a) he had fallen behind a bit from missing a session and I wanted to keep him closer in XP, and
(b) I had a cool idea I wanted to run with.

In the end, he was still behind, but only by a few hundred XP.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ulgulanoth wrote:
would Merisiel Sillvari answer our questions if she had her own thread?

Yup. Absolutely. She's a lot meaner and more short-tempered than me, though... so beware!

Shadow Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
Chaotic does not mean scatterbrained. Looking at things like the Worldwound, the Mwangi Expanse, Tanglebriar, and the subtle conflict in western Varisia between Lamashtu and Pazuzu... there's plenty examples of demons being able to carry out long, complex plans that meet with a fair level of success.

Then why don't there exist chaotic monks? Or hell, at the very least non-lawful monks? Isn't it supposed to be because without a lawful alignment, nobody could hope to have the discipline to become a monk? Of course, this also raises a problem with non-lawful wizards....shouldn't any non-lawful being lack the discipline necessary to bend magic to their will?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kthulhu wrote:
Then why don't there exist chaotic monks? Or hell, at the very least non-lawful monks? Isn't it supposed to be because without a lawful alignment, nobody could hope to have the discipline to become a monk? Of course, this also raises a problem with non-lawful wizards....shouldn't any non-lawful being lack the discipline necessary to bend magic to their will?

Because in order to be a monk, you have to be INCREDIBLY focused and in control of your mind and body. Not everyone who's lawful is a monk, after all... but every monk is super lawful as a side effect of their training and lifestyle.

You can still be devoted and disciplined when your'e chaotic, but not in the exact precise way that's required to be a monk is all.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
ulgulanoth wrote:
would Merisiel Sillvari answer our questions if she had her own thread?

I suspect however that her answers would alternate between "A Dagger in your ribs" or "My fingers on your purse" with occasional combinations of the two.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:
ulgulanoth wrote:
would Merisiel Sillvari answer our questions if she had her own thread?
I suspect however that her answers would alternate between "A Dagger in your ribs" or "My fingers on your purse" with occasional combinations of the two.

Nah. She's not EVIL. Just kinda impatient. Treat her nice and she won't stab you.


James Jacobs wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:
mathpro18 wrote:
James if you were the DM how would you handle this situation? http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderR PG/advice/inGameResolutionAdvice&page=1#4
Making actual link like this one by using BBCode is the way to do things.

Ah.

That's a tricky issue. And in my opinion... the tricky part isn't that the PC did stuff on his own—that's actually cool. The tricky part is that the GM granted that PC extra experience points that put him ahead of the rest of the group. That can create an unnecessary level of competition between players, as well as jealousy.

My advice there is to give the rest of the party the same amount of XP that the assassin gained. Tell the other players that the assassin's player did some extracurricular roleplaying and advanced the storyline of the campaign and let the PCs themselves roleplay out how they come to terms with the situation—but the fact that the assassin earned his companions some XP should help soothe any ruffled feathers.

And beyond that, the GM should ABSOLUTELY invite other players to have their characters go on solo missions if they wish as well, with success bringing more XP to the party in the same way.

Thanks James. I think that the beginning of the session is going to be dedicated to getting the other PC's caught up xp wise. Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to let the party in on what's going on or just keep it a secret...it just seems more evil to not tell them.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Jeremy Mcgillan wrote:
James is This showing off too much?

Maybe.


James, have you seen the Rifftrax for Transformers 2?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Beercifer wrote:
James, have you seen the Rifftrax for Transformers 2?

Nope. Not sure I want to watch Transformers 2 again, even WITH Rifftrax help.


Have you seen The Trollhunter? Its a Norwegian movie. If so, what are your thoughts?

I don't have the web-fu necessary to post a link to the IMDB site or I would do that here.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Beercifer wrote:
James, have you seen the Rifftrax for Transformers 2?
Nope. Not sure I want to watch Transformers 2 again, even WITH Rifftrax help.

Soooooooo let down by that. :( :( :(


Why do minor artifacts in Pathfinder now have special destruction conditions like major artifacts?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Katerek wrote:

Have you seen The Trollhunter? Its a Norwegian movie. If so, what are your thoughts?

I don't have the web-fu necessary to post a link to the IMDB site or I would do that here.

I've not seen it yet, but I've been hoping to get a chance to see it since I first heard about it in the middle of last year. It's in one of my favorite genres of movie: the found footage genre. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing it, and I hope it's playing at the Seattle International Film Festival in a month or so...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

mdt wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Beercifer wrote:
James, have you seen the Rifftrax for Transformers 2?
Nope. Not sure I want to watch Transformers 2 again, even WITH Rifftrax help.
Soooooooo let down by that. :( :( :(

Why's that? Because I see Transformers 2 as the worst movie of the year, and possibly the worst movie of the decade?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The Guardian Beyond Beyond wrote:
Why do minor artifacts in Pathfinder now have special destruction conditions like major artifacts?

Because all artifacts, be they major or minor, are pretty much impossible to destroy except via specific methods. As a general rule, the methods to destroy a minor artifact are "easier," but still not easy.

The only real difference between a minor and a major artifact is that major ones are unique, while minor ones are not. There's more than one staff of the magi in the world, for example, but there's only one axe of the dwarvish lords.


James, I'm very envious of you. You've done something I've always wanted to do; build a game world/setting as a collaborative effort. Of course, there's always some collaboration when you're GMing any given setting; the players actions will make changes here and there, but I feel for the most part that intrepreting and installing those changes are the job of the GM. What was it like to build Golarion from the ground up as a group? Was anything left on the cutting room floor that you've tucked away for future settings? Were there any ideas you were striving for that didn't make the final cut? Since Golarion seems (To me, at least.) to be an everything AND the kitchen sink type of setting, was there anything you felt was TOO far out there to take seriously?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Mikaze wrote:

When visualizing a bright day in Nidal, is it pretty close to the mark to describe it as looking like someone put a "night filter" over the camera lens like in many old movies, where everything was still brightly lit...just tinted?

And seconding the call on Transformers 2... Seeing Optimus Prime mercilessly execute Decepticons and shouting "GIVE ME YOUR FACE" was only the beginning of that movie's many and varied problems....

Other problems with that movie:

special effects that are overly complex and hard to look at
robot heaven
Devastator's big balls
racist robots
spastic editing/directing
no dinobots

7,201 to 7,250 of 77,094 << first < prev | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.