>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

70,301 to 70,350 of 78,974 << first < prev | 1402 | 1403 | 1404 | 1405 | 1406 | 1407 | 1408 | 1409 | 1410 | 1411 | 1412 | next > last >>

1. When will we get a primer on Casmaron?

2. Are we likely to get one before getting one about Arcadia first?

3. When will we get to visit Sarusan?

4. Will we ever get a mythic path for psychic classes?

5. What's the human ethnicity of iblydos actually called? And what's the name of their ethnic language? Is the answer to both Iblydan?

6. Will we get more content centered around Iblydos any time soon?

7. Why can Kelksiomides and Psomeira grant spells of levels higher than they should? They can grant 9th and 8th level spells respectively. But shouldn't it be 6th and 7th respectively? Or at most 7th and 8th assuming they each had the Seat of Power path ability. Is Kelksiomides granting 9th level spells merely a typo?

8. Since you wrote the technology, what rule changes would you suggest for a "technology everywhere" game? Reduce all item prices to 10% and reduce crafting DCs by 10?


4 people marked this as a favorite.

If I might ask, Why not add "One question at a time" to the title... might thin the herd.

Dark Archive

James Jacobs wrote:
baron arem heshvaun wrote:

Hello Mighty T Rex,

James, while I am sure you may have covered this in some form before, could you please give your opinion, in the way Demogorgon, Orcus, Graz'zt, Pazuzu and to a lesser extent Fraz-Urb’luu, where able to style themselves ‘prince’ above the other demon ‘lords’ in earlier editions of the game, on Golarion, which of the Abyssal lords could conceivably, by might or hubris, be elevated to that position?

None. We don't use the concept of a "demon prince" in Pathfinder.

Once a demon lord gains enough power to step up to the next tier of power, she or he becomes a deity rather than a demigod.

Let me rephrase the question then.

Besides Lamashtu, whom among the demon lords are the 'Big six' in Golarion? (In the vein that Demogorgon, Graz'zt and Orcus were prominent in older editions of the game.)

I am guessing from your posts, Nocticula, Cyth-V'sug, Pazuzu.

And then both Angazhan and Deskari have been creeping up that ladder.

Who’s your ‘Big six’ of the demon lords?

Dark Archive

I am aware Urgathoa would probably get the undead lion’s share of those few who use Clerical magic within the Whispering Way, but if a demon lord would try to exert his or her influence on the cult, which demon lord would be top contender?

Dark Archive

And Happy Christmas James!


4 people marked this as a favorite.

So I had other questions, but decided this one takes priority... is there anything us fans/customers/forumgoers/whatever-term can do to help with the toxicity besides just not contributing? (Or things that may not strictly help but you'd like to see happen.) I've vaguely considered starting some more positive-intended threads on good/successful implementations of controversial/complained-about stuff, but then I figure they'd just get hijacked by complainers.


Instead of becoming an ex-cleric due to failing obligations/alignment, when a cleric loses (how careless ;P ) their deity due to the said deity either dying, getting destroyed, annulled, MIA etc. could you use the Archetype "Channeler of the Unknown" for that (to keep spells etc...)?

i.e. Everyone knows that Aroden died, and Iomedae stepped in, but could this somehow cover a transition period where clerics of Aroden were backed by someone/thing... BUT still going through the "Aroden Bless Me Please?" motions, depending on how long Iomedae took to don the mantle, so to speak (or was it a case of "it was her as the unknown power all along...")

Also some other power could have stepped in, in the meantime so Iomedae didn't scoop up everyone (and also those clerics who like throwing that ol' entropy around for a while longer...)

(and any other dead gods that are {not} kicking around...)

This may give an answer to the old post of Dead Gods? maybe?

Shadow Lodge

The adventure paths(except for a few, like Jade Reagent) aren't in a timeline, correct? I remember reading that they aren't, but I'm not sure.


James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Have you gotten a chance to see the new Star Wars movie?
Yes.
What are your thoughts on porgs?
Seems like a pretty obvious merchandising ploy to sell toys, but that's kinda what all of Star Wars has been for decades, so I'm pretty ambivalent toward them.

What do you think about these? Merry Christmas by the way!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
IonutRO wrote:

1. When will we get a primer on Casmaron?

2. Are we likely to get one before getting one about Arcadia first?

3. When will we get to visit Sarusan?

4. Will we ever get a mythic path for psychic classes?

5. What's the human ethnicity of iblydos actually called? And what's the name of their ethnic language? Is the answer to both Iblydan?

6. Will we get more content centered around Iblydos any time soon?

7. Why can Kelksiomides and Psomeira grant spells of levels higher than they should? They can grant 9th and 8th level spells respectively. But shouldn't it be 6th and 7th respectively? Or at most 7th and 8th assuming they each had the Seat of Power path ability. Is Kelksiomides granting 9th level spells merely a typo?

8. Since you wrote the technology, what rule changes would you suggest for a "technology everywhere" game? Reduce all item prices to 10% and reduce crafting DCs by 10?

One question per post. I'll answer the first one, but please repost any others as one per post.

1) There is not currently any announced primers on Casmaron. This thread is not where I announce unannounced products. If you're interested in a primer on Casmaron or ANY other specific content, please let us know though!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
baron arem heshvaun wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
baron arem heshvaun wrote:

Hello Mighty T Rex,

James, while I am sure you may have covered this in some form before, could you please give your opinion, in the way Demogorgon, Orcus, Graz'zt, Pazuzu and to a lesser extent Fraz-Urb’luu, where able to style themselves ‘prince’ above the other demon ‘lords’ in earlier editions of the game, on Golarion, which of the Abyssal lords could conceivably, by might or hubris, be elevated to that position?

None. We don't use the concept of a "demon prince" in Pathfinder.

Once a demon lord gains enough power to step up to the next tier of power, she or he becomes a deity rather than a demigod.

Let me rephrase the question then.

Besides Lamashtu, whom among the demon lords are the 'Big six' in Golarion? (In the vein that Demogorgon, Graz'zt and Orcus were prominent in older editions of the game.)

I am guessing from your posts, Nocticula, Cyth-V'sug, Pazuzu.

And then both Angazhan and Deskari have been creeping up that ladder.

Who’s your ‘Big six’ of the demon lords?

Nocticula, Pazuzu, Abraxas, Cyth-V'sug, Sifkesh, and Zura, maybe.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
baron arem heshvaun wrote:
I am aware Urgathoa would probably get the undead lion’s share of those few who use Clerical magic within the Whispering Way, but if a demon lord would try to exert his or her influence on the cult, which demon lord would be top contender?

Zura or Orcus or Abraxas.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Kaladin_Stormblessed wrote:
So I had other questions, but decided this one takes priority... is there anything us fans/customers/forumgoers/whatever-term can do to help with the toxicity besides just not contributing? (Or things that may not strictly help but you'd like to see happen.) I've vaguely considered starting some more positive-intended threads on good/successful implementations of controversial/complained-about stuff, but then I figure they'd just get hijacked by complainers.

The biggest thing is to be positive and kind and helpful and polite. That includes being patient in the face of others who are not being positive and kind and helpful and polite. Don't feed the trolls. Don't continue arguments. Use the flagging system to let us know when someone's being a troll or whatever.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Doki-Chan wrote:

Instead of becoming an ex-cleric due to failing obligations/alignment, when a cleric loses (how careless ;P ) their deity due to the said deity either dying, getting destroyed, annulled, MIA etc. could you use the Archetype "Channeler of the Unknown" for that (to keep spells etc...)?

i.e. Everyone knows that Aroden died, and Iomedae stepped in, but could this somehow cover a transition period where clerics of Aroden were backed by someone/thing... BUT still going through the "Aroden Bless Me Please?" motions, depending on how long Iomedae took to don the mantle, so to speak (or was it a case of "it was her as the unknown power all along...")

Also some other power could have stepped in, in the meantime so Iomedae didn't scoop up everyone (and also those clerics who like throwing that ol' entropy around for a while longer...)

(and any other dead gods that are {not} kicking around...)

This may give an answer to the old post of Dead Gods? maybe?

A deity's death is such a rare event that it's best, in game, to handle things individually and not try to standardize what happens.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragonborn3 wrote:
The adventure paths(except for a few, like Jade Reagent) aren't in a timeline, correct? I remember reading that they aren't, but I'm not sure.

Not directly, but the order in which they are published is the order we'd assume if we were to do so. But they're not hard-coded in, so you can play them in any order.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
GM PDK wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Have you gotten a chance to see the new Star Wars movie?
Yes.
What are your thoughts on porgs?
Seems like a pretty obvious merchandising ploy to sell toys, but that's kinda what all of Star Wars has been for decades, so I'm pretty ambivalent toward them.
What do you think about these? Merry Christmas by the way!

They're awesome, of course!


Dear Mister Jacobs,

Do you have any Christmas/Holiday wishes for this season or for 2018?

(If it matters, mine are Peace on Earth, Goodwill to all, and Gods bless us everyone.)


Dear Mr. Jacobs,

(Edit: A humble request, not a question, though I respect that you cannot announce products here)

It's been 4 years since Mummy's Mask, yet we still don't have anything new as far as new lore or mechanical options for characters worshiping the Ancient Osirion Pantheon.

Could we have a product that corrects this, perhaps similar to how ya'll fleshed out The Eldest and their worshipers?

New lore/mechanics could include:
(Edit: ideas, not questions for forum)

-What Boons and Obedience are associated with deities like Ra, Set and the others?

-Where do worshipers of these primal deities go in the afterlife? Do these gods have realms in the great beyond?

-As these gods have left Golarion, is there a reason why their worship is again on the rise?

-What is their relationship with Golarion's or even Present-day Osirion's more prominent deities, particularly Nethys, Pharasma and the Black Pharaoh whom all have connections to Osirion?

-Are there interesting Archetypes, Traits and Feats associated with the worship of these deities? What about Summons peculiar to each deity?

I understand that the Egyptian/Ancient Osirion Pantheon are not copyright-protected by Paizo, but I feel that if the specifics of the lore are tied enough to Paizo-specific material this would still create an incentive for players to purchase and use your creative content.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:

Dear Mister Jacobs,

Do you have any Christmas/Holiday wishes for this season or for 2018?

Yes I do.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Gorethel wrote:

Dear Mr. Jacobs,

(Edit: A humble request, not a question, though I respect that you cannot announce products here)

It's been 4 years since Mummy's Mask, yet we still don't have anything new as far as new lore or mechanical options for characters worshiping the Ancient Osirion Pantheon.

Could we have a product that corrects this, perhaps similar to how ya'll fleshed out The Eldest and their worshipers?

New lore/mechanics could include:
(Edit: ideas, not questions for forum)

-What Boons and Obedience are associated with deities like Ra, Set and the others?

-Where do worshipers of these primal deities go in the afterlife? Do these gods have realms in the great beyond?

-As these gods have left Golarion, is there a reason why their worship is again on the rise?

-What is their relationship with Golarion's or even Present-day Osirion's more prominent deities, particularly Nethys, Pharasma and the Black Pharaoh whom all have connections to Osirion?

-Are there interesting Archetypes, Traits and Feats associated with the worship of these deities? What about Summons peculiar to each deity?

I understand that the Egyptian/Ancient Osirion Pantheon are not copyright-protected by Paizo, but I feel that if the specifics of the lore are tied enough to Paizo-specific material this would still create an incentive for players to purchase and use your creative content.

Please keep questions simple and one to a post. Instead of answering all these questions, let me just say that we are very unlikely to do much more with this pantheon anytime soon.


James Jacobs wrote:
Gorethel wrote:

Dear Mr. Jacobs,

(Edit: A humble request, not a question, though I respect that you cannot announce products here)

It's been 4 years since Mummy's Mask, yet we still don't have anything new as far as new lore or mechanical options for characters worshiping the Ancient Osirion Pantheon.

Could we have a product that corrects this, perhaps similar to how ya'll fleshed out The Eldest and their worshipers?

New lore/mechanics could include:
(Edit: ideas, not questions for forum)

-What Boons and Obedience are associated with deities like Ra, Set and the others?

-Where do worshipers of these primal deities go in the afterlife? Do these gods have realms in the great beyond?

-As these gods have left Golarion, is there a reason why their worship is again on the rise?

-What is their relationship with Golarion's or even Present-day Osirion's more prominent deities, particularly Nethys, Pharasma and the Black Pharaoh whom all have connections to Osirion?

-Are there interesting Archetypes, Traits and Feats associated with the worship of these deities? What about Summons peculiar to each deity?

I understand that the Egyptian/Ancient Osirion Pantheon are not copyright-protected by Paizo, but I feel that if the specifics of the lore are tied enough to Paizo-specific material this would still create an incentive for players to purchase and use your creative content.

Please keep questions simple and one to a post. Instead of answering all these questions, let me just say that we are very unlikely to do much more with this pantheon anytime soon.

I apologize, I had hoped my Edits would have clarified the latter questions as ideas potentially answerable in future product material rather than questions for this forum.

Regardless, I admit I am a bit disappointed. Is there any particular reason for the unlikelihood for future material on this pantheon?

:/


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Who would be your top three Demon Lords in the Worldwound apart from Deskari and Baphomet?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Gorethel wrote:


Regardless, I admit I am a bit disappointed. Is there any particular reason for the unlikelihood for future material on this pantheon?

:/

Because there are other stories we want to tell.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
FallenDabus wrote:
Who would be your top three Demon Lords in the Worldwound apart from Deskari and Baphomet?

None immediately come to mind above the others; those two are specifically the two big guns among demon lords in the region.


James Jacobs wrote:
Doki-Chan wrote:

Instead of becoming an ex-cleric due to failing obligations/alignment, when a cleric loses (how careless ;P ) their deity due to the said deity either dying, getting destroyed, annulled, MIA etc. could you use the Archetype "Channeler of the Unknown" for that (to keep spells etc...)?

i.e. Everyone knows that Aroden died, and Iomedae stepped in, but could this somehow cover a transition period where clerics of Aroden were backed by someone/thing... BUT still going through the "Aroden Bless Me Please?" motions, depending on how long Iomedae took to don the mantle, so to speak (or was it a case of "it was her as the unknown power all along...")

Also some other power could have stepped in, in the meantime so Iomedae didn't scoop up everyone (and also those clerics who like throwing that ol' entropy around for a while longer...)

(and any other dead gods that are {not} kicking around...)

This may give an answer to the old post of Dead Gods? maybe?

A deity's death is such a rare event that it's best, in game, to handle things individually and not try to standardize what happens.

Thanks for the answer :) I don't think I'm very good at phrasing questions though... sorry if this is the wrong place to ask so if anyone else thinks the below is feasible (or at least an interesting idea) let me know and help me move the question elsewhere - I came looking for info on CotU and didn't find much info on the boards on the archetype... so just raised the question

Mainly, say someone wanted to set a game around the time of a certain dead god's death, or just woke up after a long sleep etc... (or another setting with a different dead goddess, similar reasons: I just used the example of Aroden as it's the go-to in this setting...)

I was more thinking of along cool background ideas for a character or NPC that doesn't believe their god has totally gone, so: what if someone still followed the (possibly distorted) teachings of a dead god but didn't like the new CEO (or there wasn't a CEO for a while)?
Could you "theoretically" use CotU to represent that (for fluff purposes), rather than have all clerics of {dead god} be useless until they switch/die? What if they don't want to switch?

Mad Priest of {DeadGoddimus}:"I still say my prayers every day, I still believe in {DeadGoddimus}, what's the problem if I get rewarded for doing the same stuff as before?"

Anyhoo, have a Cool Yule...


Of the 20 main deities in the core setting, whom is the weakest?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Doki-Chan wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Doki-Chan wrote:

Instead of becoming an ex-cleric due to failing obligations/alignment, when a cleric loses (how careless ;P ) their deity due to the said deity either dying, getting destroyed, annulled, MIA etc. could you use the Archetype "Channeler of the Unknown" for that (to keep spells etc...)?

i.e. Everyone knows that Aroden died, and Iomedae stepped in, but could this somehow cover a transition period where clerics of Aroden were backed by someone/thing... BUT still going through the "Aroden Bless Me Please?" motions, depending on how long Iomedae took to don the mantle, so to speak (or was it a case of "it was her as the unknown power all along...")

Also some other power could have stepped in, in the meantime so Iomedae didn't scoop up everyone (and also those clerics who like throwing that ol' entropy around for a while longer...)

(and any other dead gods that are {not} kicking around...)

This may give an answer to the old post of Dead Gods? maybe?

A deity's death is such a rare event that it's best, in game, to handle things individually and not try to standardize what happens.

Thanks for the answer :) I don't think I'm very good at phrasing questions though... sorry if this is the wrong place to ask so if anyone else thinks the below is feasible (or at least an interesting idea) let me know and help me move the question elsewhere - I came looking for info on CotU and didn't find much info on the boards on the archetype... so just raised the question

Mainly, say someone wanted to set a game around the time of a certain dead god's death, or just woke up after a long sleep etc... (or another setting with a different dead goddess, similar reasons: I just used the example of Aroden as it's the go-to in this setting...)

I was more thinking of along cool background ideas for a character or NPC that doesn't believe their god has totally gone, so: what if someone still...

It might just be because I'm deep in vacation mode but I'm not really able to see a question in there...

Please re-post your question in a short and clear way.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Yasss Queen wrote:
Of the 20 main deities in the core setting, whom is the weakest?

Since we don't have rules that say what a deity can or cannot do, we can't say who is the weakest.


Iron cage match, who comes out still existing Geb or Nex?


Iron Cage match: James Sutter versus Monte Cook, who wins? ;)


My Wizard PC has taken the Eldritch Researcher story feat and has been busy trying to invent lots of new spells lately. Working with my DM and the other players to come up with new spells of our own has made me start to wonder: what's the design process for coming up with ideas for new spells like at Paizo?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:
Iron Cage match: James Sutter versus Monte Cook, who wins? ;)

James Sutter!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Black Dougal wrote:
Iron cage match, who comes out still existing Geb or Nex?

Nex.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Schrödinger's Dragon wrote:
My Wizard PC has taken the Eldritch Researcher story feat and has been busy trying to invent lots of new spells lately. Working with my DM and the other players to come up with new spells of our own has made me start to wonder: what's the design process for coming up with ideas for new spells like at Paizo?

Same as with anything; one dose imagination, one dose inspiration, one dose practice, and one dose writing.

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:
Laird IceCubez wrote:
Can Pharasma die? And if so, who judges her if she does?
She can. And she would judge herself.

So even dead Gods face Pharasma's judgement, that means that have souls right?

Where do they go? Or is that case-by-case.


James Jacobs wrote:

It might just be because I'm deep in vacation mode but I'm not really able to see a question in there...

Please re-post your question in a short and clear way.

Hi James sorry for that: I think I found what I was looking for here... (basically the Other Other reason for an Ur-Priest, nicking some ideas from FR...)

Antihero Handbook and using CotU to mimic the absence of a God, Not the (ex-)cleric's faith

Enjoy the holiday and don't stress about me mangling my thoughts...


James Jacobs wrote:
Yasss Queen wrote:
Of the 20 main deities in the core setting, whom is the weakest?
Since we don't have rules that say what a deity can or cannot do, we can't say who is the weakest.

? Well you have mentioned before in this thread that Pharasma is the strongest of the Gods so it stands to reason you would know who the weakest is.

But oh well, have a Happy Holidays!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Laird IceCubez wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Laird IceCubez wrote:
Can Pharasma die? And if so, who judges her if she does?
She can. And she would judge herself.

So even dead Gods face Pharasma's judgement, that means that have souls right?

Where do they go? Or is that case-by-case.

All living creatures have souls. Deities included. What happens to a deity when it dies is a case by case thing. Demon lords, for example, go to the Rift of Repose, unless Nocticula killed them in which case they become a new Midnight Isle.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Yasss Queen wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Yasss Queen wrote:
Of the 20 main deities in the core setting, whom is the weakest?
Since we don't have rules that say what a deity can or cannot do, we can't say who is the weakest.

? Well you have mentioned before in this thread that Pharasma is the strongest of the Gods so it stands to reason you would know who the weakest is.

But oh well, have a Happy Holidays!

Knowing who the strongest deity is does not automatically know I have decided who the weakest deity is.

As an analogue, if you start counting down numnbers, you know the one you started at but you don't know which one you'll finish at. You might have a good guess and a solid intention of which one you want to finish at but until you get there, a lot of other things can happen along the way to make your last number counted down to be different than the one you had planned.


James Jacobs wrote:
Yasss Queen wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Yasss Queen wrote:
Of the 20 main deities in the core setting, whom is the weakest?
Since we don't have rules that say what a deity can or cannot do, we can't say who is the weakest.

? Well you have mentioned before in this thread that Pharasma is the strongest of the Gods so it stands to reason you would know who the weakest is.

But oh well, have a Happy Holidays!

Knowing who the strongest deity is does not automatically know I have decided who the weakest deity is.

As an analogue, if you start counting down numnbers, you know the one you started at but you don't know which one you'll finish at. You might have a good guess and a solid intention of which one you want to finish at but until you get there, a lot of other things can happen along the way to make your last number counted down to be different than the one you had planned.

True, sorry I wasn't trying to be rude.


Since you wrote the technology, what rule changes would you suggest for a "technology everywhere" game? Reduce all item prices to 10% and reduce crafting DCs by 10?

Also, yes, I am interested in Casmoran, as I am in Arcadia, Sarusan, and Mythic Content. I love building mythic characters, I recently rebuilt Saint Nicholas as a Hierophant for my yearly Christmas one-shots.


Dear Mister Jacobs,

Do you have any favorite holiday traditions you enjoy more than others?

Like as example, for kicking off the new year, I always go to my FLGS and watch them blow up the Death Star (in New Hope IV)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
IonutRO wrote:

Since you wrote the technology, what rule changes would you suggest for a "technology everywhere" game? Reduce all item prices to 10% and reduce crafting DCs by 10?

Also, yes, I am interested in Casmoran, as I am in Arcadia, Sarusan, and Mythic Content. I love building mythic characters, I recently rebuilt Saint Nicholas as a Hierophant for my yearly Christmas one-shots.

The items in the Technology Guide are priced as if they were magic items. They should not have their prices or crafting DCs changed at all.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:

Dear Mister Jacobs,

Do you have any favorite holiday traditions you enjoy more than others?

Like as example, for kicking off the new year, I always go to my FLGS and watch them blow up the Death Star (in New Hope IV)

Visiting my hometown and family for a week or two during the end of the year is my favorite holiday tradition.


James Jacobs wrote:
IonutRO wrote:

Since you wrote the technology, what rule changes would you suggest for a "technology everywhere" game? Reduce all item prices to 10% and reduce crafting DCs by 10?

Also, yes, I am interested in Casmoran, as I am in Arcadia, Sarusan, and Mythic Content. I love building mythic characters, I recently rebuilt Saint Nicholas as a Hierophant for my yearly Christmas one-shots.

The items in the Technology Guide are priced as if they were magic items. They should not have their prices or crafting DCs changed at all.

But what if I want a world where scatterlight suits and laser pistols are as common as chain shirts and longswords are on Golarion?

I would not change the price of magic item equivalent items (like the nanite hypoguns or cybertech) but I would like to run a game where everyone has tech guns and tech armor from the start.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
IonutRO wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
IonutRO wrote:

Since you wrote the technology, what rule changes would you suggest for a "technology everywhere" game? Reduce all item prices to 10% and reduce crafting DCs by 10?

Also, yes, I am interested in Casmoran, as I am in Arcadia, Sarusan, and Mythic Content. I love building mythic characters, I recently rebuilt Saint Nicholas as a Hierophant for my yearly Christmas one-shots.

The items in the Technology Guide are priced as if they were magic items. They should not have their prices or crafting DCs changed at all.

But what if I want a world where scatterlight suits and laser pistols are as common as chain shirts and longswords are on Golarion?

I would not change the price of magic item equivalent items (like the nanite hypoguns or cybertech) but I would like to run a game where everyone has tech guns and tech armor from the start.

If you want that world then just go for it. No need to change pricing. Just have the tech stuff be as accessible and used and placed in treasures and used by NPCs and for sale in store as much as magic items.

Or play Starfinder instead?


James Jacobs wrote:
IonutRO wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
IonutRO wrote:

Since you wrote the technology, what rule changes would you suggest for a "technology everywhere" game? Reduce all item prices to 10% and reduce crafting DCs by 10?

Also, yes, I am interested in Casmoran, as I am in Arcadia, Sarusan, and Mythic Content. I love building mythic characters, I recently rebuilt Saint Nicholas as a Hierophant for my yearly Christmas one-shots.

The items in the Technology Guide are priced as if they were magic items. They should not have their prices or crafting DCs changed at all.

But what if I want a world where scatterlight suits and laser pistols are as common as chain shirts and longswords are on Golarion?

I would not change the price of magic item equivalent items (like the nanite hypoguns or cybertech) but I would like to run a game where everyone has tech guns and tech armor from the start.

If you want that world then just go for it. No need to change pricing. Just have the tech stuff be as accessible and used and placed in treasures and used by NPCs and for sale in store as much as magic items.

Or play Starfinder instead?

That wouldn't actually make them common or affordable, though. Nevermind then, I'll figure something out.

Anyways, do Coatl ancestry Aasimar exist? I know Coatl don't reproduce sexually, but IIRC that's not the only way to create an Aasimar.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hi James-

I just finished DMing Rise of the Runelords (Anniversary Edition) with our gaming group. It was a real joy to meet for once a week for three years (with one 1/2yr break) and to explore the world envisioned by you and your team. We really came together as a group of friends and had so much fun- if this gets to be our one big hurrah as "nerds," then I know we'll be satisfied. Many, many thanks!!

My question - Which character options (races, classes, feats, equipment, spells, alternative options, etc), if any, are you surprised to see underutilized/overlooked? Are there any such options that you feel are "underrated" by the community?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

IonutRO wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
IonutRO wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
IonutRO wrote:

Since you wrote the technology, what rule changes would you suggest for a "technology everywhere" game? Reduce all item prices to 10% and reduce crafting DCs by 10?

Also, yes, I am interested in Casmoran, as I am in Arcadia, Sarusan, and Mythic Content. I love building mythic characters, I recently rebuilt Saint Nicholas as a Hierophant for my yearly Christmas one-shots.

The items in the Technology Guide are priced as if they were magic items. They should not have their prices or crafting DCs changed at all.

But what if I want a world where scatterlight suits and laser pistols are as common as chain shirts and longswords are on Golarion?

I would not change the price of magic item equivalent items (like the nanite hypoguns or cybertech) but I would like to run a game where everyone has tech guns and tech armor from the start.

If you want that world then just go for it. No need to change pricing. Just have the tech stuff be as accessible and used and placed in treasures and used by NPCs and for sale in store as much as magic items.

Or play Starfinder instead?

That wouldn't actually make them common or affordable, though. Nevermind then, I'll figure something out.

Anyways, do Coatl ancestry Aasimar exist? I know Coatl don't reproduce sexually, but IIRC that's not the only way to create an Aasimar.

Making the tech items in the Technology Guide "common and affordable" would have the same effect on your game as making magic items common and affordable. It would throw balance out the window and force you as the GM to rebalance the entire game. Possible, but beyond the scope of a quick and easy answer from me.

There are no couatl aasimars. Aasimars are descended from the humanoid celestial races, not all good outsiders.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

6 people marked this as a favorite.
MMBosstone737 wrote:

Hi James-

I just finished DMing Rise of the Runelords (Anniversary Edition) with our gaming group. It was a real joy to meet for once a week for three years (with one 1/2yr break) and to explore the world envisioned by you and your team. We really came together as a group of friends and had so much fun- if this gets to be our one big hurrah as "nerds," then I know we'll be satisfied. Many, many thanks!!

My question - Which character options (races, classes, feats, equipment, spells, alternative options, etc), if any, are you surprised to see underutilized/overlooked? Are there any such options that you feel are "underrated" by the community?

Yay; glad you enjoyed Runelords!

There aren't any options I'm surprised to see overlooked. The internet's obsession with the idea that there is only one "correct build" for the game, regardless of class or game theme or character concept frustrates and annoys me though.

70,301 to 70,350 of 78,974 << first < prev | 1402 | 1403 | 1404 | 1405 | 1406 | 1407 | 1408 | 1409 | 1410 | 1411 | 1412 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.