>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

67,751 to 67,800 of 83,732 << first < prev | 1351 | 1352 | 1353 | 1354 | 1355 | 1356 | 1357 | 1358 | 1359 | 1360 | 1361 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aenigma wrote:

18. A deity can kill a demigod very easily. Then why didn't Lamashtu kill Pazuzu already, considering the fact that he hates her so much? Maybe she still loves him and wants to be reunited with him no matter what? Yeah, I know she's irredeemably evil. But sometiems even evil has loved ones. Wow, I didn't know she's so romantic!

19. How does Lamashtu think about Nocticula? Does she regard Nocticula as a refractory child who must be killed? Does Nocticula want to kill Lamashtu someday?

20. It's mentioned that Lamashtu and Pazuzu killed Curchanus but Lamashtu ate all his essence and became a deity, and that's why Pazuzu hate her. Then, if Lamashtu ate Curchanus with Pazuzu, would they both become deities? Or they couldn't, because half of Curchanus isn't enough to make them deities?

21. I have always thoght that Noticula is a relatively newcomer among the demon lords. Is she? Maybe she wasn't born as a demon before the imprisonment of Rovagug or the Earthfall?

22. You said all devils(including Mephistopheles) are Asmodeus' minions and thus Asmodeus is their master. And devils are very eager to obey. Then can all demons(maybe except for Pazuzu and his minions) ocnsidered minions of Lamashtu and thus Lamashtu can be considered the master of all demons? Or she isn't, because demons are very eager to disobey, and thus there's many demons and demon lords who don't consider Lamashtu as their master and don't even pay lip service to her?

23. My memory may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that Baphomet is Lamashtu's son and Deskari is Pazuzu's son. Does that mean Baphomet's father is Pazuzu and Deskari's mother is Lamashtu?

18) Since deities aren't governed by rules, whether or not you want it to be easy or hard for a deity to kill a demigod is left to you. It's open to interpretation. The fact that Lamashtu hasn't killed Pazuzu already should be all the proof you need that it's NOT "easy" for a deity to kill a demigod, or that perhaps there are other reasons why she hasn't killed him as well. She may still have hidden feelings for him. She may prefer to see him squirm and be frustrated and alive for her to torment. She may not really even care. She may have reasons mortals can't understand.

19) She approves of Nocticula. Lamashtu is the most powerful of the demons, but that doesn't mean that she spends a lot of time dealing with demon politics. As a deity, a lot of that garbage is below her level of attention.

20) Because Lamashtu won that contest, whatever it was, and Pazuzu lost.

21) No. She's one of the oldest of the demon lords. She was well known in Azlant, and was around LONG before Earthfall.

22) Not really, because she's not interested in them being her minions, and they're not interested in BEING minions. Just because something works one way for one group of fiends does not mean it works that way for all of them.

23) No.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aenigma wrote:

24. I thought Pharasma should have luck domain, becuase she is the goddess of fate, and there's fate subdomain under luck domain. But she doesn't. I'm curious. Isn't fate a significant part of her portfolio?

25. A dead mortal go to the Boneyard to be judged by Pharasma. Then what about a dead outsider? The River of Souls article in Pyramid of the Sky Pharaoh suggests that a dead outsider would be absorbed into the plane. Does that mean a dead outsider will not go to the Boneyard to be judged, and they don't become petitioners?

26. Is a dead fey judged by Pharasma too?

27. If a dead outsider is absorbed into the plane, does that mean a dead demigod, who is an outisder, will not be judged by Pharasma upon his death? For example will a dead demon lord(including those killed by Nocticula) be judged by Pharasma? I wonder what would happen to those rare case of non-outsider demigods(Bokrug, Cthulhu, Hastur) upon their death. Will they be judged by Pharasma, because they are not outsiders?

28. A deity is an outsider, right? Then a dead deity(including Aroden) will be absorbed into the plane, and will not be judged by Pharasma, right?

29. Can a dead demigod like Deskari be resurrected with resurrection spell?

24) Fate is the reverse of luck. With fate, there's only one thing that can happen, because that's fate. No luck involved.

25) When an outsider dies, since its body and soul are one unit, it simply "decays." Pharasma still judges them (and in pretty much all cases that means their material that they are made of reverts to quintessence and is recycled into the Great Beyond), but their souls don't go to the Boneyard.

26) Absolutely.

27) Demigods and deities who die are judged by Pharasma, but again, their souls don't go to the Boneyard. Their judgement more or less happens immediately in situ, which is why they are so hard to resurrect.

28) A deity doesn't have rules, and that includes the rules that say what monster type you are.

29) No. As described in the basic outsider traits, an outsider cannot be resurrected by resurrection. It'd take a miracle or wish or true resurrection to do that job, and even that fails if the demigod's been judged and its soul/body have moved on to whatever awaits them next.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:

30. In this page you said that you definitely have a reason why the Great Old Ones cannot die. Will you plan to reveal that reason someday, unlike the mystery of the death of Aroden? Are there some clues in Strange Aeons?

31. You said several times that there's no chaotic neutral worshiper of a Great Old One, and if there are, they would definitely be crazy. Then what about those chaotic neutral gods like Bokrug, Yog-Sothoth or Azathoth? Do they have many chaotic enutral worshipers and thus few chaotic evil worshipers?

32. If you are GMing a normal campaign(which means not an outright evil campaign), would you allow players worship Asmodeus, Lamashtu, Nocticula, Rovagug, or Zon-Kuthon?

33. Regarding Barzillai Thrune and the genius loci issue, I have a question. I'm not sure if a loci sprit is an outsider or undead or something else. If the PCs kill a loci spirit, will the spirit go to the Boneyard and be judged?

34. I wrote several posts in Ask Rob McCreary thread, but didn't get an answer. Maybe Rob is too busy because he's paying his whole attention in Starfinder? At least now I finally realized why I should be thankful for your diligent and voluntary answering. You really deserve praise.:)

30. I doubt there are "clues" in Strange Aeons, because I didn't develop that AP and the AP isn't about the nature of what happens when the Great Old Ones die. I might reveal some day why Great Old Ones cannot die, but the short version is because I like them too much, respect Lovecraft's creations too much, and because it pleases me to say that they cannot die. If only because I take perverse glee in presenting stat blocks for people to read that their characters can't actually kill... they can only defeat or disable them.

31. I've said several times that there are "few" chaotic neutral worshipers of Great Old Ones. I've never said that there are none of them. They are VERY rare though, that's for sure. Most of the ones you'll probably see are ones played by players as player characters, so if you don't play the game with those types of players, you'll likely never see one in action.

32. Depends on the deity, and on the nature of the campaign.

33. It's something else, as detailed in Pathfinder 102. It's not a monster, and thus isn't an outsider or undead, any more than a trap or a magic sword or a fireball spell or a mountain or a memory of the taste of butter is an outsider or undead.

34. It's because Rob is busy, yes, and because not everyone has the time or the interest in answering as many questions as I do on these boards. Many folks at Paizo have other hobbies or people they hang out with or families to spend time with; I know Rob has a lot of non-Paizo stuff in his life, and when he's working he prefers to work on his job and when he's not he prefers not to spend time on the boards but do other things. Has nothing to do with him being "too busy."

I guess gamers are lucky that I don't have as many people to hang out with and that one of my hobbies/interests is answering questions on this thread. Let me make that clear... spending time on the messageboards and answering questions is NOT what most folks at Paizo are expected to do. It's not officially part of their job. In a way, I'm shirking my actual job duties by answering questions on this thread when I'm supposed to be doing my 40 hours of work for the week, frankly, but management's okay with it since it's providing customer service. But If I decided to stop answering any questions here and never post another thing to the boards, it wouldn't impact my employment. (And frankly, it might mean I get more done as regards actually producing products and tangible things that Paizo can sell and make money off of.)

Please do not mistake the fact that a person is a Paizo employe for the implication that they owe you their time and are obligated to answer questions, in other words. If Rob or anyone else wants to answer, they will, but if they don't, then you don't get those answers. They're not owed you.

And honestly, the fact that I answer these questions here a lot seems to make folks think EVERYONE at Paizo should answer their questions is one of the few things I can think of that would make me stop answering these questions entirely. So... feel free to post questions to other employees, but please understand they don't owe you and if they don't reply, you need to respect that and move on. And complaining to me that they're not replying is not going to get me to go over to them and tell them to get off their asses and reply to you. If anything, it's gonna make me stop and think, "Hey... maybe I should take a cue from my coworkers and focus on other things too."

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What happens if a fey being like a nymph or an erlking (or a dryad/guyad ;) ) has kids with a mortal?

Take your pick of the various half-fey or fey-touched or similarly-themed templates, or maybe the fey sorcerer bloodline, or some sort of fey themed class archetype, etc.


This has probably been asked, but which AP do you think would be best for a film adaptation?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Delightful wrote:
This has probably been asked, but which AP do you think would be best for a film adaptation?

None of them. Adventure Paths are FAR too epic and long to be a single film adaptation. Perhaps a series of 6 films, but frankly, if this type of thing does happen, I'd rather see it show up as a premium cable series.

Silver Crusade

Mr Jacobs -

There is a long discussion going on here.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2pr4s&page=1?Dimensional-Hop

I see places where it is beginning to get personal.
I am not sure it has gotten to that point yet, but I believe the discussion is at loggerheads and I hope you can either resolve the matter or at least put it on the short list for a FAQ entry.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jokem wrote:

Mr Jacobs -

There is a long discussion going on here.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2pr4s&page=1?Dimensional-Hop

I see places where it is beginning to get personal.
I am not sure it has gotten to that point yet, but I believe the discussion is at loggerheads and I hope you can either resolve the matter or at least put it on the short list for a FAQ entry.

Flag the abusive posts and do not engage. The flagging system is how our mods are alerted to problem posts, and alerts them to situations where they need to go in and remove posts and perhaps give folks time outs or whatever.

I do not have the capacity to remove posts or the like; I don't have moderator powers on this board.

If it's a rules question, hit the FAQ tag. That's how the design team knows they need to make judgements. I don't really have the capacity or time to monitor FAQ requests and even if I did I'm not allowed to render FAQ judgements or make rules clarifications; management has decided that's the design team's job alone.

Furthermore, I've learned that when I weigh in on contentious arguments about rules here, my presence tends to make things worse. Those who agree with my ruling sometimes use my post as a bludgeon against those who disagree while those who disagree use my post as evidence that Paizo doesn't know its own rules. It's a zero-sum win for me, and it doesn't help anyone else.


Quote:
Not at all. In this case, the "Unquenchable Fire" is referring to the burning of lust and the heat of arousal. Water doesn't put that fire out.

I thought cold showers were excellent for putting out this type of fire. Aren't cold showers water?

:)

Radiant Oath

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

What Knowledge skill would be the best to use for knowing and critiquing operas? The kind where you might get a result like "this aria's the best part of Don Giovanni. It shows us the Don isn't just a promiscuous cad, but that he's freakin' insane! He doesn't feel ANYTHING for the women he conquers and only cares about adding their names to his list!"


First, THANK YOU for doing the writeup for Arshea in Bestiary 6!

Second, why did Arshea get included? I'm honestly surprised.

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:
Jokem wrote:

Mr Jacobs -

There is a long discussion going on here.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2pr4s&page=1?Dimensional-Hop

I see places where it is beginning to get personal.
I am not sure it has gotten to that point yet, but I believe the discussion is at loggerheads and I hope you can either resolve the matter or at least put it on the short list for a FAQ entry.

Flag the abusive posts and do not engage. The flagging system is how our mods are alerted to problem posts, and alerts them to situations where they need to go in and remove posts and perhaps give folks time outs or whatever.

I do not have the capacity to remove posts or the like; I don't have moderator powers on this board.

If it's a rules question, hit the FAQ tag. That's how the design team knows they need to make judgements. I don't really have the capacity or time to monitor FAQ requests and even if I did I'm not allowed to render FAQ judgements or make rules clarifications; management has decided that's the design team's job alone.

Furthermore, I've learned that when I weigh in on contentious arguments about rules here, my presence tends to make things worse. Those who agree with my ruling sometimes use my post as a bludgeon against those who disagree while those who disagree use my post as evidence that Paizo doesn't know its own rules. It's a zero-sum win for me, and it doesn't help anyone else.

OK, I was assuming if you considered the issue important enough you would action the right people at Paizo to take official notice of it.

I don't know the organizational structure if the company, all I know is you seem to be the most available.

I clicked the FAQ button, but most of the people there do not even consider the matter to be ambiguous, so I don't expect this to be
a high priority.

thx 4 responding.

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:
Cole Deschain wrote:

So... Shin Gojira... Your thoughts on it?

** spoiler omitted **

I quite loved it, and thought that the new style was a breath of fresh air for the series. I could have, of course, stood to have had more Godzilla overall, but frankly, I'd rather leave a Godzilla movie wanting more than leaving tired of Godzilla. Good times!

** spoiler omitted **

Just saw this last night, and I absolutely loved it!

What was some from your faovurite scenes from the movie?

Spoiler:
Mine was the breath>beam leveling Tokyo followed by the spine beams, set to absolutely awesome music.

Silver Crusade

I know you always suggest to start small when world/adventure building but I've run into a bit of a snag, and was wondering if you had any advice?

The PCs start washed up on an island, and I have area A,B,C etc, planned out, but I'm having trouble trying to come up with everything inbetween, how to set up the land of the island inbetween so it flows nice and doesn't feel like a patchwork map.

Sorry if this question's kinda jumbled

Dark Archive

So uh, surprisingly enough Erylium got away with The Scribbler's soul. Because the party member with Erylium in jar just released her when Scribbler asked nicely. Why? Just because he asked(and they are over confident in their ability to win encounters I guess). I wasn't expecting that.

...ANYWAY, now to my actual question, party seems to be half expecting Nualia to come back as demon(she was half-fiend in Hells subplot, but got killed) along with Erylium... I kinda wonder if it would be too out of the place for that to actually happen? Since having Vrock!Erylium & Vrock!Nualia rematch does sounds fun. I guess at least Erylium could bring her back somehow?

Oh and Iron Gods question too: so on Sanvil Trett's info its mentioned that its real risk that if players don't deal with him that he reports to Technic League and Technic League arrive to annex the city. Would annexing only happen if torch doesn't get fixed? If players defeat him but leave him alive, is there still a big risk that he calls technic league upon the city or would he be reluctant to report his failure?

Dark Archive

Ah, also: So Ioun Stones and Wayfinders and other items commonly used mostly by Pathfinders... Are they available for purchase by non pathfinder related adventurers? Mostly interested in hearing about Ioun Stones, though hearing about items in pathfinder player companion & setting book availability in general would be nice

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
TheAlicornSage wrote:
Quote:
Not at all. In this case, the "Unquenchable Fire" is referring to the burning of lust and the heat of arousal. Water doesn't put that fire out.

I thought cold showers were excellent for putting out this type of fire. Aren't cold showers water?

:)

The embers remain and flare back up in time. Also, Calistria's unquenchable fire is too hot for any mortal shower, regardless of temperature.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What Knowledge skill would be the best to use for knowing and critiquing operas? The kind where you might get a result like "this aria's the best part of Don Giovanni. It shows us the Don isn't just a promiscuous cad, but that he's freakin' insane! He doesn't feel ANYTHING for the women he conquers and only cares about adding their names to his list!"

Knowledge (local) if it's current opera. Knowledge (history) if it's out of fashion no longer performed opera.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

7 people marked this as a favorite.
AlgaeNymph wrote:

First, THANK YOU for doing the writeup for Arshea in Bestiary 6!

Second, why did Arshea get included? I'm honestly surprised.

Three reasons.

1) Because I wanted to include a powerful creature in the game that was sexual in nature that not only wasn't evil, but was actually a powerful force for GOOD.

2) Because Arshea is one of my favorite Empyreal Lords.

3) Because people have been asking for more info about Arshea.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Jokem wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Jokem wrote:

Mr Jacobs -

There is a long discussion going on here.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2pr4s&page=1?Dimensional-Hop

I see places where it is beginning to get personal.
I am not sure it has gotten to that point yet, but I believe the discussion is at loggerheads and I hope you can either resolve the matter or at least put it on the short list for a FAQ entry.

Flag the abusive posts and do not engage. The flagging system is how our mods are alerted to problem posts, and alerts them to situations where they need to go in and remove posts and perhaps give folks time outs or whatever.

I do not have the capacity to remove posts or the like; I don't have moderator powers on this board.

If it's a rules question, hit the FAQ tag. That's how the design team knows they need to make judgements. I don't really have the capacity or time to monitor FAQ requests and even if I did I'm not allowed to render FAQ judgements or make rules clarifications; management has decided that's the design team's job alone.

Furthermore, I've learned that when I weigh in on contentious arguments about rules here, my presence tends to make things worse. Those who agree with my ruling sometimes use my post as a bludgeon against those who disagree while those who disagree use my post as evidence that Paizo doesn't know its own rules. It's a zero-sum win for me, and it doesn't help anyone else.

OK, I was assuming if you considered the issue important enough you would action the right people at Paizo to take official notice of it.

I don't know the organizational structure if the company, all I know is you seem to be the most available.

I clicked the FAQ button, but most of the people there do not even consider the matter to be ambiguous, so I don't expect this to be
a high priority.

thx 4 responding.

I absolutely consider the issue important enough that I would use action to let people at Paizo know to take official notice of it. Which is why I asked folks to flag the offensive posts. That'll solve the problem faster than I can, believe it or not, since this is happening over a weekend where I can't just walk upstairs or IM Chris and have her take care of things.

Same with the FAQ button.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Cole Deschain wrote:

So... Shin Gojira... Your thoughts on it?

** spoiler omitted **

I quite loved it, and thought that the new style was a breath of fresh air for the series. I could have, of course, stood to have had more Godzilla overall, but frankly, I'd rather leave a Godzilla movie wanting more than leaving tired of Godzilla. Good times!

** spoiler omitted **

Just saw this last night, and I absolutely loved it!

What was some from your faovurite scenes from the movie?

** spoiler omitted **

I 100% agree with you on the best scene. But also loved every moment that Akira Ifukube's original scores popped up.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:

I know you always suggest to start small when world/adventure building but I've run into a bit of a snag, and was wondering if you had any advice?

The PCs start washed up on an island, and I have area A,B,C etc, planned out, but I'm having trouble trying to come up with everything inbetween, how to set up the land of the island inbetween so it flows nice and doesn't feel like a patchwork map.

Sorry if this question's kinda jumbled

Seek out a published adventure with a similar plot, or that presents a small island, and use it with some names changed and locations adjusted. Don't feel that you have to create every single thing for your game. Mix and match; use things from published adventures as inspiration or whole-cloth. "Souls for Smuggler's Shiv" comes to mind as the best choice that I can think of for this situation.

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Cole Deschain wrote:

So... Shin Gojira... Your thoughts on it?

** spoiler omitted **

I quite loved it, and thought that the new style was a breath of fresh air for the series. I could have, of course, stood to have had more Godzilla overall, but frankly, I'd rather leave a Godzilla movie wanting more than leaving tired of Godzilla. Good times!

** spoiler omitted **

Just saw this last night, and I absolutely loved it!

What was some from your faovurite scenes from the movie?

** spoiler omitted **

I 100% agree with you on the best scene. But also loved every moment that Akira Ifukube's original scores popped up.

Yay!

After not watching any Godzilla movies for the longest time it was amazing watching not a monster but a full fledged God of Destruction in action. Horrific and beautiful.

I loved the score too.

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:

I know you always suggest to start small when world/adventure building but I've run into a bit of a snag, and was wondering if you had any advice?

The PCs start washed up on an island, and I have area A,B,C etc, planned out, but I'm having trouble trying to come up with everything inbetween, how to set up the land of the island inbetween so it flows nice and doesn't feel like a patchwork map.

Sorry if this question's kinda jumbled

Seek out a published adventure with a similar plot, or that presents a small island, and use it with some names changed and locations adjusted. Don't feel that you have to create every single thing for your game. Mix and match; use things from published adventures as inspiration or whole-cloth. "Souls for Smuggler's Shiv" comes to mind as the best choice that I can think of for this situation.

Ah, Okies.

Thankies, I appreciate it. I'll go give Souls a look over.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

CorvusMask wrote:

So uh, surprisingly enough Erylium got away with The Scribbler's soul. Because the party member with Erylium in jar just released her when Scribbler asked nicely. Why? Just because he asked(and they are over confident in their ability to win encounters I guess). I wasn't expecting that.

...ANYWAY, now to my actual question, party seems to be half expecting Nualia to come back as demon(she was half-fiend in Hells subplot, but got killed) along with Erylium... I kinda wonder if it would be too out of the place for that to actually happen? Since having Vrock!Erylium & Vrock!Nualia rematch does sounds fun. I guess at least Erylium could bring her back somehow?

Oh and Iron Gods question too: so on Sanvil Trett's info its mentioned that its real risk that if players don't deal with him that he reports to Technic League and Technic League arrive to annex the city. Would annexing only happen if torch doesn't get fixed? If players defeat him but leave him alive, is there still a big risk that he calls technic league upon the city or would he be reluctant to report his failure?

What is and isn't out of place is different for every game. It sounds like in your game it wouldn't be out of place at all... and in fact, since the players expect/theorize it, having it actually happen can give your players a rush of "Ha! We're smart and figured it out!" which is a good thing. If I were you, I'd set this up so that the PCs actually learn about Nualia's return early and before hand, and explain to them "Since you suspected this, you are in a position to deal with new demon Nualia before she ascends to full power; had you not figured this out before hand, she would have come back MUCH more powerful and would have destroyed you. Well played!"

There's a risk that the Technic League could come after him and/or annex the city and so on, yes. That's sorta beyond the scope of the campaign though since the PCs never return to Torch as scripted. If your players are attached to Torch and want to go back there and keep up associations with it, then having this element play out is a great way to give the players some more stuff to do in Torch. If the players don't feel a need to stay in Torch and are eager to continue on with the Numeria-spanning events of the adventure as scripted, you can ignore that whole thing if you wish or just have it happen off stage, but if you have it happen off stage, you should strive to play out those events in a way that don't distract the players. You don't want to give the implication to your players that you're punishing them for wanting to play the adventure, and if you say "While you were out fighting the Lords of Rust, Torch got annexed..." then the players get mixed messages from you and aren't sure if they're supposed to want to continue on the adventures or not.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

CorvusMask wrote:
Ah, also: So Ioun Stones and Wayfinders and other items commonly used mostly by Pathfinders... Are they available for purchase by non pathfinder related adventurers? Mostly interested in hearing about Ioun Stones, though hearing about items in pathfinder player companion & setting book availability in general would be nice

Ioun stones can be purchased by anyone, anywhere they're sold.

Wayfinders are generally only things you get if you're a Pathfinder or if you're affiliated with the Pathfinders. The upcoming Adventurer's Guide is pretty much ALL about this exact type of thing, in fact.


Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:

I know you always suggest to start small when world/adventure building but I've run into a bit of a snag, and was wondering if you had any advice?

The PCs start washed up on an island, and I have area A,B,C etc, planned out, but I'm having trouble trying to come up with everything inbetween, how to set up the land of the island inbetween so it flows nice and doesn't feel like a patchwork map.

Sorry if this question's kinda jumbled

Seek out a published adventure with a similar plot, or that presents a small island, and use it with some names changed and locations adjusted. Don't feel that you have to create every single thing for your game. Mix and match; use things from published adventures as inspiration or whole-cloth. "Souls for Smuggler's Shiv" comes to mind as the best choice that I can think of for this situation.

Ah, Okies.

Thankies, I appreciate it. I'll go give Souls a look over.

It is amazing. One of the most successful modules I've ever run - it played even better than it read.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It taught my kids you can in fact kill a Pterodactyl with a grappling hook. Also, if you want to find it afterwards you should probably tie a rope to it.

James, how did you like American Horror Story Roanoke, it felt to me they could've used another episode or two. It was still very good. :-)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

It taught my kids you can in fact kill a Pterodactyl with a grappling hook. Also, if you want to find it afterwards you should probably tie a rope to it.

James, how did you like American Horror Story Roanoke, it felt to me they could've used another episode or two. It was still very good. :-)

For ALL seasons of American Horror Story, I actually end up feeling that they could have used two or three FEWER episodes. They always go on just a little too long, and try to do 1 plot too many to make it satisfying for me.

That said, it was probably overall my favorite season. I'm still waiting for them to do a season that has full on cosmic horror/Lovecraft stuff, since that entire genre is pretty much the quintessential "American" horror tradition, in that it was more or less invented in America.


The Dimensional Occultist witch archetype must choose the Dimensions patron. Can other witches choose it as well? I note Areelu Vorlesh have the patron but not the archetype, but she is exceptional in other ways too.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Analysis wrote:
The Dimensional Occultist witch archetype must choose the Dimensions patron. Can other witches choose it as well? I note Areelu Vorlesh have the patron but not the archetype, but she is exceptional in other ways too.

Others can choose it. The whole point of the dimensions patron was so that we could build witches like Lovecraft's Keziah Mason from "Dreams in the Witch House." It frustrated me that my favorite fictional witch couldn't be a Pathfinder witch, since Pathfinder witches don't have much in the way of teleporting or conjuring monster powers...


James, how would you build a spontaneous caster as a hedgewitch/wise woman?

PF witches aren't quite what I want, though they are the closest in terms of spell list. But I don't do prepared casting (I have a particular distaste for it).

Dark Archive

Dear James,

1. Which three movies are you looking forward to the most this year?

2. Which of the following movies will you watch?

A Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
B Lego Batman
C Logan
D Ghost in the Shell
E Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
F Zashchitniki aka Guardians
G King Arthur
H Alien: Covenant
I Wonder Woman
J Spiderman: Homecoming
K Valerian and the City of a thousand Planets
L War for the Planet of the Apes
M The Dark Tower
N Blade Runner 2049
O Kingsman: The Golden Circle
P Thor: Ragnarok
Q Justice League
R Star Wars Episode VIII
S The Greatest Showman on Earth

Have a great day!


1)What determined your choices of kaiju for B6?

2)If we ever get a kaiju focused campaign setting book would we get to find out about the dead kaiju(many killed Mogaru and others)?

3)Are all 14 kaiju mentioned in B4 found on Golarion?

4)Are there anymore kaiju on Golarion other then the 14 mentioned?

5)Would raise dead, resurrection, and/or true resurrection be enough to bring a dead kaiju back to life?

6)Did Agmazar look any different alive then he does now?

7)Any chance we will ever get a description of what the kaiju not stated up so far look like anytime soon?

8)Was Agmazar a aberration, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or humanoid when he was alive?

9)Do you have any thoughts on kaiju found on any of the other planets and moons of the Golarion solar system?

10)Of the 14 kaiju mentioned are there any CR29s? CR30s?

Silver Crusade

So the last expansion for Dark Souls 3, The Ringed City, was just revealed. How excited are you?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
TheAlicornSage wrote:

James, how would you build a spontaneous caster as a hedgewitch/wise woman?

PF witches aren't quite what I want, though they are the closest in terms of spell list. But I don't do prepared casting (I have a particular distaste for it).

As a sorcerer.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Marco Massoudi wrote:

Dear James,

1. Which three movies are you looking forward to the most this year?

2. Which of the following movies will you watch?

A Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
B Lego Batman
C Logan
D Ghost in the Shell
E Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
F Zashchitniki aka Guardians
G King Arthur
H Alien: Covenant
I Wonder Woman
J Spiderman: Homecoming
K Valerian and the City of a thousand Planets
L War for the Planet of the Apes
M The Dark Tower
N Blade Runner 2049
O Kingsman: The Golden Circle
P Thor: Ragnarok
Q Justice League
R Star Wars Episode VIII
S The Greatest Showman on Earth

Have a great day!

1) Kong: Skull Island, Alien: Covenant, and The Dark Tower.

2) A, C, D, E, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, R

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
So the last expansion for Dark Souls 3, The Ringed City, was just revealed. How excited are you?

This is the first I've heard that it's been revealed... so a combination of excited and depressed, since it's the last one. Hope the next game they do is as fun as the souls games have been!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:

1)What determined your choices of kaiju for B6?

2)If we ever get a kaiju focused campaign setting book would we get to find out about the dead kaiju(many killed Mogaru and others)?

3)Are all 14 kaiju mentioned in B4 found on Golarion?

4)Are there anymore kaiju on Golarion other then the 14 mentioned?

5)Would raise dead, resurrection, and/or true resurrection be enough to bring a dead kaiju back to life?

6)Did Agmazar look any different alive then he does now?

7)Any chance we will ever get a description of what the kaiju not stated up so far look like anytime soon?

8)Was Agmazar a aberration, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or humanoid when he was alive?

9)Do you have any thoughts on kaiju found on any of the other planets and moons of the Golarion solar system?

10)Of the 14 kaiju mentioned are there any CR29s? CR30s?

1) Personal preference.

2) I doubt it.

3) Yes, that's why we mentioned those 14 in particular.

4) Probably not.

5) They're living creatures with souls. If those spells wouldn't work, then their stats or creature type would mention it, like we do for outsiders. Those spells work normally on kaiju.

6) Yes; looking different is generally one of the ways undeath changes you. No, we haven't described what he looked like alive, and have no plans to do so.

7) There's always a chance, but it won't be soon.

8) Unrevealed.

9) Yes.

10) Yes.


1)Will we find out about the kaiju on other planets?

2)Any chance we will see Kaiju in Starfinder?

3)Is Agmazar the only one of the 14 from another planet?

4)Are any of the current 14 kaiju the offspring of another kaiju(dead or alive)?

5)Are any of the kaiju a spawn of a god?

6)Are any of the kaiju from another dimension/plane?

7)Is Vorgozen like Hedorah, Biollante, or something else completely?

8)Is it safe to assume Varklops is evil aligned?

9)Any chance any of the kaiju is inspired by King Kong?

10)Have you already decided all the kaiju's design, CR, creature type, subtype, etc. or do you think of this when you decide to give them stats?

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
So the last expansion for Dark Souls 3, The Ringed City, was just revealed. How excited are you?
This is the first I've heard that it's been revealed... so a combination of excited and depressed, since it's the last one. Hope the next game they do is as fun as the souls games have been!

When I said "just revealed" I meant it, it had been up for less than an hour before I asked ya :3

And I'm feeling the same, sad but excited to see how everything finally ends.

Ooo, what do you hope they do next?


James Jacobs wrote:
I wanted to include a powerful creature in the game that was sexual in nature that not only wasn't evil, but was actually a powerful force for GOOD.

I can't help but feel that's a counter-intuitive concept for most people culturally. How much trouble was it for you to get Arshes in Bestiary 6?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:

1)Will we find out about the kaiju on other planets?

2)Any chance we will see Kaiju in Starfinder?

3)Is Agmazar the only one of the 14 from another planet?

4)Are any of the current 14 kaiju the offspring of another kaiju(dead or alive)?

5)Are any of the kaiju a spawn of a god?

6)Are any of the kaiju from another dimension/plane?

7)Is Vorgozen like Hedorah, Biollante, or something else completely?

8)Is it safe to assume Varklops is evil aligned?

9)Any chance any of the kaiju is inspired by King Kong?

10)Have you already decided all the kaiju's design, CR, creature type, subtype, etc. or do you think of this when you decide to give them stats?

1) Maybe some day.

2) I have no idea. I'm not part of the Starfinder team and am not building its lore.

3) No.

4) Unrevealed.

5) That's more the theme of behemoths and the spawn of Rovagug.

6) Maybe.

7) You'll find out when the book is out.

8) You'll find out when the book is out.

9) No.

10) No. I have vague ideas, but until I actually work on them for a book I don't bother figuring all that extra info out. I've other things to do with my time than design things that might or might not ever see the light of day.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
So the last expansion for Dark Souls 3, The Ringed City, was just revealed. How excited are you?
This is the first I've heard that it's been revealed... so a combination of excited and depressed, since it's the last one. Hope the next game they do is as fun as the souls games have been!

When I said "just revealed" I meant it, it had been up for less than an hour before I asked ya :3

And I'm feeling the same, sad but excited to see how everything finally ends.

Ooo, what do you hope they do next?

Something like Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

6 people marked this as a favorite.
AlgaeNymph wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
I wanted to include a powerful creature in the game that was sexual in nature that not only wasn't evil, but was actually a powerful force for GOOD.
I can't help but feel that's a counter-intuitive concept for most people culturally. How much trouble was it for you to get Arshes in Bestiary 6?

I agree that for many people, the concept of sex being good is difficult to comprehend. It doesn't help when a game doesn't provide examples of sex being good, and focuses only on it being a tool used by evil creatures. Which comes back to the reason why I wanted Arshea in this book.

It was no trouble at all. There was zero resistance at Paizo to the decision. Unless you count for some folk's reticence on putting high CR monsters in a bestiary as "trouble" but in that case that has nothing directly to do with Arshea.


Dear James Jacobs,

I had this thought from back when Shackled City was released as HC. Is there some description missing from Adimarchus' history in terms of if he was a fallen Celestial, how long ago was it? Was there a story behind it?

Thank you for your time.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Thomas Seitz wrote:

Dear James Jacobs,

I had this thought from back when Shackled City was released as HC. Is there some description missing from Adimarchus' history in terms of if he was a fallen Celestial, how long ago was it? Was there a story behind it?

Thank you for your time.

Nope. What's been written about Adimarchus is all in print; there was no cutting room floor stuff left out, and there's not really much more I've got to say about him at this point.


Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Have you read the prequel comics to Mad Max:Fury Road? Any comments on them if you have?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Steve Geddes wrote:
Have you read the prequel comics to Mad Max:Fury Road? Any comments on them if you have?

No.

Liberty's Edge

1) Is the connection between Golarion and Earth unique when concerning the Dreamlands, or are the Dreamlands present and similar on all planets with sentient/dreaming life?

2) I was a bit disappointed that we did not get a proper Gazetteer about the Dreamlands in Strange Aeon's Dreams of the Yellow King. I know you did not directly work on the AP, but I'm still curious: Is there any plans for releasing one, and perhaps A Pathfinder-setting friendly map to go with it? I really enjoyed the article on Leng, but a piece on the Dreamlands would be a wonderful resource.

3) Is there anything like an Animus Mundi on Golarion; i.e a Soul of the World? Either as a Force, a Place deep within a Plane, or both/more.

4) My players are detouring through the Dreamlands in an interlude between Chapters 5 and 6 of RoTRL. Dual question:
a) Would figures like Kuranes, the Priests of Flame and perhaps even Randolph Carter (as the King of Ilek Vad), be interested in assisting heroic PCs stop a dream-abusing Runelord and perhaps stop a Great Old One from manifesting in the Waking World (Mhar)? How do you think these characters might give their input or provide aid, etc.?
b) What are some interesting Bestiary encounters for places like Sarkomand, Xura, the Sunset Sea, etc. beyond Denizens of Leng, Moonbeasts and other staple Dreamlands horrors?

67,751 to 67,800 of 83,732 << first < prev | 1351 | 1352 | 1353 | 1354 | 1355 | 1356 | 1357 | 1358 | 1359 | 1360 | 1361 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards