>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

66,601 to 66,650 of 78,074 << first < prev | 1328 | 1329 | 1330 | 1331 | 1332 | 1333 | 1334 | 1335 | 1336 | 1337 | 1338 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

Hey James, have you seen the movie The Others (Los Otros, director Alejandro Amenabár)? If yes, what did you think of it?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Paladinosaur wrote:
Hey James, have you seen the movie The Others (Los Otros, director Alejandro Amenabár)? If yes, what did you think of it?

Yup; great movie.


1 is slavery legal in Riddleport if not why not?
2 what level and class was Cayden Cailean before he took the starstone test
3 cant remember 3rd question be back later.


Hey James Jacobs!

1) I know you're a Demonologist but favorite Archdevil? I'm quite partial to Mephistopheles because of the whole Faust thing.

2) Are there any Prestige Classes you like? I know Paizo seems to have steered away from it but anything that you'd find fun?


Dear James Jacobs,

Which of the four part cross over on DC TV/CW are you most excited for: Flash, Arrow or Legends of Tomorrow? (I know, that's three but Supergirl's apparently will just be like...10 minutes maybe.)


oh I didn't remember the 3rd question but MageHunter gave me a better one
describe you if you were a pathfinder demon lord
1 name/ appearance
2 worshipers/areas of concern
3 domains besides chaos and evil
4 favored weapon and unholy symbol
5 sacred animal/color(s)
6 Demonic Obedience/boons

ps sorry for large amount of questions.


Does Golarion have any canonical examples of Herostratic fame and if so, can you name one or two?


"The term length for lord mayor in Magnimar is for life, or until retirement or until the current lord mayor is ousted. Citizens participate in voting for a lord mayor in Magnimar, but nominees are put forth by city officials."

I found the quote from a previous question asked of you and have read Magnimar, City of Monuments. I am playing in Shattered Star as a LN empiricist investigator and my character wants to help improve the city by getting into politics.

1. What would it take to join the council of ushers?

2. Can the council of ushers vote out the lord mayor? 2/3 vote?

3. If I ran for Lord Mayor would my (freed slave) half-mwangi half-elf encounter any resistance from the Varisians, or the nobility based on race or her lower class backstory?

I am really enjoying Shattered Star by the way. Me and my druid friend are planning on starting a trendy nature themed restaurant in the Noas district. Thank you for the awesome world to explore!


Did you like The Babadook? What did you think about the ending?

Community & Digital Content Director

7 people marked this as a favorite.

Removed a post. This isn't an appropriate space to critique the security measures placed on digital offerings through paizo.com, and pointed commentary like this isn't in the spirit of the thread.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
wabbitking wrote:

1 is slavery legal in Riddleport if not why not?

2 what level and class was Cayden Cailean before he took the starstone test
3 cant remember 3rd question be back later.

1) Slavery is legal in Riddleport.

2) Unrevealed.

3) Cool; seeya then!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
MageHunter wrote:

Hey James Jacobs!

1) I know you're a Demonologist but favorite Archdevil? I'm quite partial to Mephistopheles because of the whole Faust thing.

2) Are there any Prestige Classes you like? I know Paizo seems to have steered away from it but anything that you'd find fun?

1) Same, Mephistopheles.

2) There are plenty. After all, I'm probably the person at Paizo who likes them the most—Paths of Prestige and Paths of the Righteous were both my ideas to get into print, after all. No current favorites though.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:

Dear James Jacobs,

Which of the four part cross over on DC TV/CW are you most excited for: Flash, Arrow or Legends of Tomorrow? (I know, that's three but Supergirl's apparently will just be like...10 minutes maybe.)

None of it. Don't watch any DC TV shows. No interest.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

wabbitking wrote:

oh I didn't remember the 3rd question but MageHunter gave me a better one

describe you if you were a pathfinder demon lord
1 name/ appearance
2 worshipers/areas of concern
3 domains besides chaos and evil
4 favored weapon and unholy symbol
5 sacred animal/color(s)
6 Demonic Obedience/boons

ps sorry for large amount of questions.

I ilke to think that I'm not a demon lord, and therefore can't really answer this question... for that reason and for the even bigger reason that I don't want to make a habit of doing design work on this thread, even to the extent of light-hearted design work like the above.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Prince of Knives wrote:
Does Golarion have any canonical examples of Herostratic fame and if so, can you name one or two?

Yes, but I can't name any off the top of my head.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Radic wrote:

"The term length for lord mayor in Magnimar is for life, or until retirement or until the current lord mayor is ousted. Citizens participate in voting for a lord mayor in Magnimar, but nominees are put forth by city officials."

I found the quote from a previous question asked of you and have read Magnimar, City of Monuments. I am playing in Shattered Star as a LN empiricist investigator and my character wants to help improve the city by getting into politics.

1. What would it take to join the council of ushers?

2. Can the council of ushers vote out the lord mayor? 2/3 vote?

3. If I ran for Lord Mayor would my (freed slave) half-mwangi half-elf encounter any resistance from the Varisians, or the nobility based on race or her lower class backstory?

I am really enjoying Shattered Star by the way. Me and my druid friend are planning on starting a trendy nature themed restaurant in the Noas district. Thank you for the awesome world to explore!

1) A combination of luck, political power, a support base among the city's citizens, charisma, and the support of a majority of the current ushers.

2) They cannot, but they can move to impeach and if they can prove that the lord mayor is not acting in the best interests of the city, he's out.

3) No. Varisians are pretty open minded and accepting of diversity, especially in Magnimar.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Kryzbyn wrote:
Did you like The Babadook? What did you think about the ending?

Thought it was great; one of the best movies of the year, and a delightfully warped ending.


James Jacobs wrote:
Kryzbyn wrote:
Did you like The Babadook? What did you think about the ending?
Thought it was great; one of the best movies of the year, and a delightfully warped ending.

What do you think happened at the end?

Spoiler:
The wife and I think she kept is as a pet? Either out of pity or to keep it from bothering other people, we guess. Or both, maybe?
Do you think it would chill out after a while, or fight to escape?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kryzbyn wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Kryzbyn wrote:
Did you like The Babadook? What did you think about the ending?
Thought it was great; one of the best movies of the year, and a delightfully warped ending.

What do you think happened at the end?

** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
I think she adopted it as a child, and I think it's not going to get more mild-mannered, but will eventually break free, probably after mom dies, either of old age or some babadook-related shenanigan.

James Jacobs wrote:
wabbitking wrote:

oh I didn't remember the 3rd question but MageHunter gave me a better one

describe you if you were a pathfinder demon lord
1 name/ appearance
2 worshipers/areas of concern
3 domains besides chaos and evil
4 favored weapon and unholy symbol
5 sacred animal/color(s)
6 Demonic Obedience/boons

ps sorry for large amount of questions.

I ilke to think that I'm not a demon lord, and therefore can't really answer this question... for that reason and for the even bigger reason that I don't want to make a habit of doing design work on this thread, even to the extent of light-hearted design work like the above.

fair enough. thank you for answering my other two questions then.


I'm really glad to see you came back! I have prepared many questions for you to answer. Here you are!

1. Before the fall of serpentfolks, were the whole Avistan and the northern Garund(which means the land that was mapped in the Inner Sea World Guide) under the serpentfolk empire? Maybe the Shackles and the Sodden Lands should be excluded, because they were under Ghol-Gan's rule?

2. Giants live in the Kodar Mountains, the Mindspin Mountains, and the Steaming Sea these days. And goblinoids live in Nirmathas, Molthune, Isger, and the River Kingdoms these days. Before the fall of serpentfolks, did they still live there? Maybe they were enslaved by serpentfolks, and Azlanti freed them?

3. Before the Earthfall, which race inhabited Belkzen? Maybe giants?

4. Were Varisians and Shoanti enslaved by serpentfolks, and Azlanti freed them?

5. Why didn't Azlanti attack Sverenagati and finish off serpentfolks for good? They didn't know serpentfolks are underground race and thus they didn't know there are serpentfolk cities in the Darklands? Or maybe they thought serpentfolks would be not hreat in their weaken state and didn't bother to attack Sverenagati?

6. Did Azlanti know the existence of the Darklands? Did they explore the Darklands and make settlements there?


7. In this page you said that Sorshen have trickster tiers, not archmage tiers. And before the publication of mythic rules, according to the statement above that post, you said that she has rogue levels. I'm curious. Why do you think she has rogue levels or trickster tiers? I thought she is a pure caster.

8. You said in that page that Sorshen might have the advanced template. Can a core race like humans gain advanced simple template too? I tought only monsters with racial hit dice can gain it.

9. Anyway, how can a creature(for example, a dragon) gain advanced simple template? By eating well, sleeping well, and exercising well, perhaps?

10. Krune, the Runelord of Sloth, died in a Pathfinder Society Scenario called The Waking Rune. Is it canon? I'm not sure if Pathfinder Society Scenarios are considered canon or not. In other words, will there be an adventure path or module that deal with Krune, or there will be none because he already died in The Waking Rune?

11. Krune's body is covered with magical runes which empower him. And he can be weakened by disabling one or more of the giant runes that harness the rune magic's energy. I'm not sure. Do you think this rune magic is from the school of sloth? Or from the church of Lissala? I ask this because I'm not sure if other runelord who worships Lissala but is not a conjurer can use this kind of rune magic(magical runes covering one's body) or not.

12. Have the Runelords of Sloth been the high priest of Lissala for generations? In other words, were all Runelords of Sloth the high priest of Lissala, and those who worship other gods couldn't be the Runelord of Sloth?


13. The Dead Heart of Xin said that if Xin retrieves the Sihedron, he will incorporate it into his mechanical body and regain the spellcasting power of a 20th-level wizard. Before this, his CR is 21. After this, how much his CR would be? Maybe 30?

14. The book said that, "Xin disassembles the arcane device and incorporates the seven shards into his new mechanical body." I'm not sure. What is this arcane device? Does it mean the Sihedron? Or does it mean his mechanical body? And if it's the Sihedron, what does it mean by disassembling? Does it mean Xin literrally separates the Sihedron into seven shards again? But the destruction condition of the Sihedron clearly said that "once the artifact is reforged, no known force can cause it to explode in this manner a second time." So I thought even Xin cannot serparate the Sihedron again.

15. Xin is a consruct, thus he has mind-affecting immunity. But he also has Int score of 39. Does that mean, because he has Int, he's no longer immune to the mind-affecting effects? The book just said that he has construct traits.

16. Which god did Xin worship? Maybe Lissala? The Peacock Spirit seems like a valid option too.

17. Mythic realms said that the Oliphaunt of Jandelay set foot on Golarion only once by a precursor of Karzoug. Was he a Runelord of Greed? Was he the first Runelord of Greed?

18. Did Xin know the existence of the Oliphaunt and the way to summon it before his death(I know he didn't actually die at that time, but anyway)?


19. You said that before the Earthfall much of the Varisian Gulf was above water. Does that mean at that time the cities of Xin and Xin-Bakrakhan were not on islands?

20. You said that the map in Lost Kingdoms which depicts the Great Temple of Lissala is in Bakrakhan is an error. If you can change the map today, would you put the temple somewhere in Haruka, the realm of Krune?

21. After I retrieve all shards of the Sihedron, and after the adventure path is over, who owns the artifact? I'm not sure if it becomes public property of Magnimar or the property of the Pathfinder Society.

22. The sidebar of page 11 of The Dead Heart of Xin shows the list of the Sihedron Council members. But strangely for some of them their ethnicity is mentioned, but for some of them not. There's no information which human race Ismeir Odinburge, Marcos Farabellus and Toth Bhreacher belong to. And for Bevaluu Zimantiu, Jyronn Imikar, and Sabriyya Kalmeralm, the situation is worse. We cannot even find out which race they belong to. Which means we don't even know if they are humans, elves, or gnomes. Is it some kind of error that no developer found out?

23. Can you tell me which human races these six people belong to?

24. The book refers to the Ritual of Reforging, which requires seven spellcasters of caster level 8th or higher. Do you think it's an occult ritual? That if this book is pubished after Occult Adventures, there would be detailed information about this ritual in the book?


25. Do you think the PCs of Shattered Star should be members of the Pathfinder Society? Sheila Heidmarch, the venture-captain of the Magnimar lodge, asks the PCs to retrieve the shards of Sihedron, one of the most powerful artifacts ever existed. It would be unreasonable for her to ask such an important quest to a bunch of non-Pathfinders, right? In other words, if you GM Shattered Star, would you ask the players to make their PCs as Pathfinders?

26. According to The Skinsaw Murders and Shards of Sin, Sheila Heidmarch is a fighter 3/monk 4. But her outfit doesn't seem appropriate for a fighter/monk. She's wearing a dress and holding a quarterstaff, which are typical gears for a mage. Strangely enough, Seekers of Secrets said that she is a sorcerer 6. I know the data in Shards of Sin is newer version and thus Sheila is a fighter/monk, but still she looks like a sorcerer. Maybe the illustrator read Seekers of Secrets and wrongly thought that Sheila is a sorcerer and drew her accordingly, and when you found out, it was already too late to redraw her as a fighter/monk, and thus you used the current illustration anyway?

27. Why is Sheila the venture-captain of Magnimar, and not her husband Canayven? He's older, and he was a successful Pathfinder even before she became an adventurer. Being a ranger 8(according to Magnimar, City of Monuments), his levels are higher than hers. So why did he not take the role of the venture-captain himself? Maybe Canayven is good at adventuring, but Sheila is better at guiding and exercising leadership, so the Decemvirate considered Sheila is a more suitable applicant for the role of a venture-captain?

28. Shards of Sin said that Sheila first met Sir Canayven Heidmarch of Magnimar at a ball in Cheliax. Does the word 'of Magnimar' mean he was born in Magnimar?

29. Is the Heidmarch Manor the hereditary mansion of the House Heidmarch?

30. Page 32 of Seekers of Secrets said that the Heidmarch Manor is in Naos. But Magnimar, City of Monuments said that it's in the Alabaster District. So can I assume that the information in the Seekers of Secrets is an error?

31. Shards of Sin said that Sheila has an awakened mountain gorilla companion named Mandali. But Seekers of Secrets and Shards of Sin didn't say a word about him. Does this gorilla live in the Heidmarch Manor now?

Liberty's Edge

James Jacobs wrote:
MageHunter wrote:

Hey James Jacobs!

1) I know you're a Demonologist but favorite Archdevil? I'm quite partial to Mephistopheles because of the whole Faust thing.

2) Are there any Prestige Classes you like? I know Paizo seems to have steered away from it but anything that you'd find fun?

1) Same, Mephistopheles.

2) There are plenty. After all, I'm probably the person at Paizo who likes them the most—Paths of Prestige and Paths of the Righteous were both my ideas to get into print, after all. No current favorites though.

My personal favorite is Dispaster, because of the flavor of his family and relationships, very unusual for a LE deity.

Somewhat on this topic,
1) Do any of the core gods besides Shelyn, Zon-Kuthon and Torag have a family?
2) Would any of the Core 20 take a mortal as a husband or wife?
3) Do any of them have mortal or demigod offspring they care deeply about?
4) Has Iomedae ever fallen in love?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Holy crap that's a lot of questions.


James Jacobs wrote:
Prince of Knives wrote:
Does Golarion have any canonical examples of Herostratic fame and if so, can you name one or two?
Yes, but I can't name any off the top of my head.

Oh, neat! I'd kinda expected to get "we haven't printed any but I'm sure someone's tried," as the answer there. I'll get some folks to go digging for 'em; the subject (Herostratic fame) has been a curiosity of mine lately.

Most societies of Golarion seem to be literate; mechanically, at least, almost everyone in the setting can read and write. So what kinds of things do they read and write? Are there penny dreadfuls sold in Golarion? Magazines or their precursors? Is reading for leisure still the providence of the upper class or those whose jobs are lettered?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aenigma wrote:

I'm really glad to see you came back! I have prepared many questions for you to answer. Here you are!

1. Before the fall of serpentfolks, were the whole Avistan and the northern Garund(which means the land that was mapped in the Inner Sea World Guide) under the serpentfolk empire? Maybe the Shackles and the Sodden Lands should be excluded, because they were under Ghol-Gan's rule?

2. Giants live in the Kodar Mountains, the Mindspin Mountains, and the Steaming Sea these days. And goblinoids live in Nirmathas, Molthune, Isger, and the River Kingdoms these days. Before the fall of serpentfolks, did they still live there? Maybe they were enslaved by serpentfolks, and Azlanti freed them?

3. Before the Earthfall, which race inhabited Belkzen? Maybe giants?

4. Were Varisians and Shoanti enslaved by serpentfolks, and Azlanti freed them?

5. Why didn't Azlanti attack Sverenagati and finish off serpentfolks for good? They didn't know serpentfolks are underground race and thus they didn't know there are serpentfolk cities in the Darklands? Or maybe they thought serpentfolks would be not hreat in their weaken state and didn't bother to attack Sverenagati?

6. Did Azlanti know the existence of the Darklands? Did they explore the Darklands and make settlements there?

1) No.

2) Yes; they weren't enslaved by serpentfolk significantly, and the only giant enslavement of note that happened was in Thassilon.

3) Unrevealed.

4) No.

5) The Azlanti vs serpentfolk war is one that went on for a long time, with neither side having a lasting advantage, but it's also not something we've said much about. All of your questions here are unrevealed. Maybe someday we'll talk more about it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aenigma wrote:

13. The Dead Heart of Xin said that if Xin retrieves the Sihedron, he will incorporate it into his mechanical body and regain the spellcasting power of a 20th-level wizard. Before this, his CR is 21. After this, how much his CR would be? Maybe 30?

14. The book said that, "Xin disassembles the arcane device and incorporates the seven shards into his new mechanical body." I'm not sure. What is this arcane device? Does it mean the Sihedron? Or does it mean his mechanical body? And if it's the Sihedron, what does it mean by disassembling? Does it mean Xin literrally separates the Sihedron into seven shards again? But the destruction condition of the Sihedron clearly said that "once the artifact is reforged, no known force can cause it to explode in this manner a second time." So I thought even Xin cannot serparate the Sihedron again.

15. Xin is a consruct, thus he has mind-affecting immunity. But he also has Int score of 39. Does that mean, because he has Int, he's no longer immune to the mind-affecting effects? The book just said that he has construct traits.

16. Which god did Xin worship? Maybe Lissala? The Peacock Spirit seems like a valid option too.

17. Mythic realms said that the Oliphaunt of Jandelay set foot on Golarion only once by a precursor of Karzoug. Was he a Runelord of Greed? Was he the first Runelord of Greed?

18. Did Xin know the existence of the Oliphaunt and the way to summon it before his death(I know he didn't actually die at that time, but anyway)?

13) However high his new stats would place him on Table 1–1. Adding 20th level spellcasting to a CR 21 creature is not a +9 boost to CR all on its own. At that point, it's a pretty minor addition, power-wise, and just giving the CR 21 Xin 20th level spellcasting might only bump his CR up to 22 or maybe 23.

14) It means the Sihedron. And it means he takes it apart and puts it back together in his new body. How he does this is unrevealed; left up to the GM.

15) He has a mind but retains immune to mind-affecting effects because he's a construct.

16) Unrevealed, but he was probably closer to agnostic than anything else. He wasn't overly religious.

17) Unrevealed. Intentionally so. It's meant to be a mystery for now.

18) No.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aenigma wrote:

19. You said that before the Earthfall much of the Varisian Gulf was above water. Does that mean at that time the cities of Xin and Xin-Bakrakhan were not on islands?

20. You said that the map in Lost Kingdoms which depicts the Great Temple of Lissala is in Bakrakhan is an error. If you can change the map today, would you put the temple somewhere in Haruka, the realm of Krune?

21. After I retrieve all shards of the Sihedron, and after the adventure path is over, who owns the artifact? I'm not sure if it becomes public property of Magnimar or the property of the Pathfinder Society.

22. The sidebar of page 11 of The Dead Heart of Xin shows the list of the Sihedron Council members. But strangely for some of them their ethnicity is mentioned, but for some of them not. There's no information which human race Ismeir Odinburge, Marcos Farabellus and Toth Bhreacher belong to. And for Bevaluu Zimantiu, Jyronn Imikar, and Sabriyya Kalmeralm, the situation is worse. We cannot even find out which race they belong to. Which means we don't even know if they are humans, elves, or gnomes. Is it some kind of error that no developer found out?

23. Can you tell me which human races these six people belong to?

24. The book refers to the Ritual of Reforging, which requires seven spellcasters of caster level 8th or higher. Do you think it's an occult ritual? That if this book is pubished after Occult Adventures, there would be detailed information about this ritual in the book?

19) Correct.

20) Dunno. I'd have to think it over.

21) That choice is left to the PCs.

22) I was the developer for that product, and that information likely just slipped through the cracks because those characters are not all that significantly important to the plot of the adventure, but also because most, perhaps all of them, are characters given much more detail in the Magnimar book, which if you want to do more with Magnimar and its citizens than the adventure presents, is more or less a required reading assignment.

23) I could. But so can the Magnimar book. Or if you want the free, fast option, the Pathfinder Wiki is a good solution.

24) It could indeed be statted up as an occult ritual, but I wouldn't do that since the ritual itself is a plot device and it sort of has to play out in one way for the adventure to play out.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:

25. Do you think the PCs of Shattered Star should be members of the Pathfinder Society? Sheila Heidmarch, the venture-captain of the Magnimar lodge, asks the PCs to retrieve the shards of Sihedron, one of the most powerful artifacts ever existed. It would be unreasonable for her to ask such an important quest to a bunch of non-Pathfinders, right? In other words, if you GM Shattered Star, would you ask the players to make their PCs as Pathfinders?

26. According to The Skinsaw Murders and Shards of Sin, Sheila Heidmarch is a fighter 3/monk 4. But her outfit doesn't seem appropriate for a fighter/monk. She's wearing a dress and holding a quarterstaff, which are typical gears for a mage. Strangely enough, Seekers of Secrets said that she is a sorcerer 6. I know the data in Shards of Sin is newer version and thus Sheila is a fighter/monk, but still she looks like a sorcerer. Maybe the illustrator read Seekers of Secrets and wrongly thought that Sheila is a sorcerer and drew her accordingly, and when you found out, it was already too late to redraw her as a fighter/monk, and thus you used the current illustration anyway?

27. Why is Sheila the venture-captain of Magnimar, and not her husband Canayven? He's older, and he was a successful Pathfinder even before she became an adventurer. Being a ranger 8(according to Magnimar, City of Monuments), his levels are higher than hers. So why did he not take the role of the venture-captain himself? Maybe Canayven is good at adventuring, but Sheila is better at guiding and exercising leadership, so the Decemvirate considered Sheila is a more suitable applicant for the role of a venture-captain?

28. Shards of Sin said that Sheila first met Sir Canayven Heidmarch of Magnimar at a ball in Cheliax. Does the word 'of Magnimar' mean he was born in Magnimar?

29. Is the Heidmarch Manor the hereditary mansion of the House Heidmarch?

30. Page 32 of Seekers of Secrets said that the Heidmarch Manor is in Naos. But Magnimar, City of Monuments said that it's in the Alabaster District. So can I assume that the information in the Seekers of Secrets is an error?

31. Shards of Sin said that Sheila has an awakened mountain gorilla companion named Mandali. But Seekers of Secrets and Shards of Sin didn't say a word about him. Does this gorilla live in the Heidmarch Manor now?

25) That's up to each table to decide. If I GM'd it I wouldn't require the PCs to be Pathfinder Society members.

26) Seekers of Secrets is wrong. Her outfit is intentionally unusual for a fighter/monk, since she's also part of the city's high society and dresses the part. She's not a cliched adventurer, that's for sure.

27) Because making her the venture-captain is more progressive and more interesting than seeing yet another white dude be the boss of something. And character level doesn't automatically or always translate into social power.

28) Not necessarily. It just means he lives there and identifies that town as his home town.

29) It's owned by them, but hasn't yet passed through a generation.

30) Seekers of Secrets is wrong. Magnimar's first appearance in print was in Pathfinder #2, in any event, not Seekers of Secrets.

31) Yes.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

11 people marked this as a favorite.
wabbitking wrote:
Holy crap that's a lot of questions.

It certainly is.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Paladinosaur wrote:

1) Do any of the core gods besides Shelyn, Zon-Kuthon and Torag have a family?

2) Would any of the Core 20 take a mortal as a husband or wife?
3) Do any of them have mortal or demigod offspring they care deeply about?
4) Has Iomedae ever fallen in love?

1) Probably, but we haven't said much about them.

2) It's not impossible.

3) Unrevealed.

4) Unrevealed, but I doubt it. She's never struck me as particularly passionate about love and relationships.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Prince of Knives wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Prince of Knives wrote:
Does Golarion have any canonical examples of Herostratic fame and if so, can you name one or two?
Yes, but I can't name any off the top of my head.

Oh, neat! I'd kinda expected to get "we haven't printed any but I'm sure someone's tried," as the answer there. I'll get some folks to go digging for 'em; the subject (Herostratic fame) has been a curiosity of mine lately.

Most societies of Golarion seem to be literate; mechanically, at least, almost everyone in the setting can read and write. So what kinds of things do they read and write? Are there penny dreadfuls sold in Golarion? Magazines or their precursors? Is reading for leisure still the providence of the upper class or those whose jobs are lettered?

My answer should not be interpreted as "Yes, but I can't name any off the top of my head but I know we've put some in print." It's more of "Yes, but I can't name any off the top of my head, but it seems logical that in a society that's been going on for 10,000 years that characters like this have existed, but we haven't necessarily put any work into developing such characters in print yet; we might some day."

There are plenty of novels and penny dreadfuls and peridoicals and the like. Reading for leisure is not the providence of the upper class, but it's not universally a thing in every region of the world.


James Jacobs wrote:
Prince of Knives wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Prince of Knives wrote:
Does Golarion have any canonical examples of Herostratic fame and if so, can you name one or two?
Yes, but I can't name any off the top of my head.

Oh, neat! I'd kinda expected to get "we haven't printed any but I'm sure someone's tried," as the answer there. I'll get some folks to go digging for 'em; the subject (Herostratic fame) has been a curiosity of mine lately.

Most societies of Golarion seem to be literate; mechanically, at least, almost everyone in the setting can read and write. So what kinds of things do they read and write? Are there penny dreadfuls sold in Golarion? Magazines or their precursors? Is reading for leisure still the providence of the upper class or those whose jobs are lettered?

My answer should not be interpreted as "Yes, but I can't name any off the top of my head but I know we've put some in print." It's more of "Yes, but I can't name any off the top of my head, but it seems logical that in a society that's been going on for 10,000 years that characters like this have existed, but we haven't necessarily put any work into developing such characters in print yet; we might some day."

There are plenty of novels and penny dreadfuls and peridoicals and the like. Reading for leisure is not the providence of the upper class, but it's not universally a thing in every region of the world.

Does that mean that printing has progressed beyond the Gutenberg level to about mid 19th century. For reading to be that widespread, that implies a level of cheap production comparable to the historical penny dreadful.

Does the Pathfinder Society publish copies of it's Chronicles for general consumption a la the National Geographic?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:

Does that mean that printing has progressed beyond the Gutenberg level to about mid 19th century. For reading to be that widespread, that implies a level of cheap production comparable to the historical penny dreadful.

Does the Pathfinder Society publish copies of it's Chronicles for general consumption a la the National Geographic?

It does not mean that. Printing is not universally ubiquitous. It's quite rare, for example, in Belkzen or the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, but rather common in Absalom. It's not that common in rural Taldor, but very common in urban Taldor. The Pathfinder Society publishes the Chronicles for general consumption; comparing them to National Geographic is a good comparasion there, but these books are not in full color and are hardcover and more expensive and not as ubiquitous throughout the world.

Penny Dreadfuls are quite common, for example, in Ustalav, but not so much next door in Numeria.

That means that if you set your game in Ustalav, having penny dreadfuls be for sale on street corners in big cities makes sense, but if you set your game in Numeria, it does not.

This might not make a lot of sense on a macro level in-world, but it's a necessary verisimilitude sacrifice to make the game more fun and more playable. Golarion was never built to be a realistic example of a world with integrated and interactive nations, and it doesn't really hold up to scrutiny on that level. If you have trouble with the concept that mass printing of novels might be common in one nation but relatively unheard of in a neighboring nation whose themes don't align with those themes, then Golarion might not be the right setting for you to play in. Alternately, you might want to focus in on a specific region and its themes and not worry about what's going on next door. And ALTERNATELY you can get in there and start rebuilding those other nations as you see fit to make more sense to you, but doing so will sacrifice certain play style options.


James Jacobs wrote:
Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:

Does that mean that printing has progressed beyond the Gutenberg level to about mid 19th century. For reading to be that widespread, that implies a level of cheap production comparable to the historical penny dreadful.

Does the Pathfinder Society publish copies of it's Chronicles for general consumption a la the National Geographic?

It does not mean that. Printing is not universally ubiquitous. It's quite rare, for example, in Belkzen or the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, but rather common in Absalom. It's not that common in rural Taldor, but very common in urban Taldor. The Pathfinder Society publishes the Chronicles for general consumption; comparing them to National Geographic is a good comparasion there, but these books are not in full color and are hardcover and more expensive and not as ubiquitous throughout the world.

Penny Dreadfuls are quite common, for example, in Ustalav, but not so much next door in Numeria.

That means that if you set your game in Ustalav, having penny dreadfuls be for sale on street corners in big cities makes sense, but if you set your game in Numeria, it does not.

This might not make a lot of sense on a macro level in-world, but it's a necessary verisimilitude sacrifice to make the game more fun and more playable. Golarion was never built to be a realistic example of a world with integrated and interactive nations, and it doesn't really hold up to scrutiny on that level. If you have trouble with the concept that mass printing of novels might be common in one nation but relatively unheard of in a neighboring nation whose themes don't align with those themes, then Golarion might not be the right setting for you to play in. Alternately, you might want to focus in on a specific region and its themes and not worry about what's going on next door. And ALTERNATELY you can get in there and start rebuilding those other nations as you see fit to make more sense to you, but doing so will sacrifice certain play style options.

There's also always splitting the difference, where nations that print a lot of books naturally export a lot of books. Happened that way in Europe for awhile until the press caught on.

What does being tagged by a bane weapon feel like?


How common is it for people in Golarion to know the difference between different "subspecies" of races that have them? For instance, how often can people tell the difference between a demon-descended tiefling or an asura-descended one? A moroi-born dhampir or a nosferatu-born? A witchwolf skinwalker and a ragebred? Do those who ARE those races have an easier time telling the difference, or are they often just as clueless about their exact lineage?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Prince of Knives wrote:

What does being tagged by a bane weapon feel like?

Extra painful. Like the attack hit right on a nerve or packed a harder punch than normal.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Evelyn Jones wrote:
How common is it for people in Golarion to know the difference between different "subspecies" of races that have them? For instance, how often can people tell the difference between a demon-descended tiefling or an asura-descended one? A moroi-born dhampir or a nosferatu-born? A witchwolf skinwalker and a ragebred? Do those who ARE those races have an easier time telling the difference, or are they often just as clueless about their exact lineage?

Not common. It's a Knowledge check to know the difference between a demon-descended tiefling and an asura-descended tiefling, for example... not a HIGH knowledge check, but even if it's just a DC 10 check and thus anyone can make it, the average human has only a 50% chance of figuring it out.


Thank you for answering my many questions, Jacobs. But because of the sheer amount of my questions, you missed to answer the last question of my first post and the whole of the second post, which means from the 6th to the 12nd. Can you please look at them? And I have new questions.

1. You said that Paizo didn't make Canayven as the venture-captain because he's a white dude. I'm curious, because Sheila also looks like a white dude to me. Am I missing something?

2. Is Canayven dissatisfied with the fact that his wife is the venture-captain yet he isn't?

3. Is Andoran the only nation in the world that is seriously concerned about human rights?

4. Does Andoran like or hate the Shackles Pirates? Andorens love liberty, and the pirates are full of liberty. Andorens hate Cheliax, and the pirates are very eager to harass Cheliax. So maybe they are not at enmity with each other? In other words, if a famous Free Captain(who's known for his enthusiastic raids against Chelish ships) travels to Andoran, will he be arrested and excuted? Or will he receive a high five? Of course, he should have never raided an Andoren ship before, though.

5. Are Korvosa and Magnimar friendly toward Riddleport? Do the Riddleport pirates raid these two cities' ships too? That if a crimelord of Riddleport foolishly travels to a settlement that belongs to Korvosa or Magnimar, will they be arrested and excuted?

6. Thranduil in The Battle of the Five Armies rides an elk. What do elves in Golarion(especially in Kyonin and Celwynvian) ride? Horses? Elks? Hippogriffs? Or giant eagles or giant owls?

7. A deity cannot kill a demon lord because it would trigger a great planar war. Then can Lamashtu kill a demon lord? Normally this would trigger a great planar war, but because it is Lamashtu who killed a demon lord this time, it would be regarded as an internal warfare and other non-chaotic non-evil deities would have no problem for Lamashtu killing a demon lord. So, she can freely klil other troublesome demon lords like Pazuzu and Nocticula, right?

Project Manager

9 people marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
1. You said that Paizo didn't make Canayven as the venture-captain because he's a white dude. I'm curious, because Sheila also looks like a white dude to me. Am I missing something?

Like the fact that Sheila is female? :-/


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I suspect linguistic conventions in play here... Aeningma isn't a native English speaker...

Is there any real-world language you particularly enjoy on an aesthetic level?

Elves rule nation-states in Jinin and Kyonin, Dwarves rule the Five Kings Mountains. As you see them, would having Halflings or Gnomes interested in finding a national homeland of sorts be in character for those cultures, or are gnomes and halfings generally not that concerned with controlling territory on that scale?

Rewatching Mimic has kindled a fresh interest in Xenopterids... the church of Ghlaunder seems likely to value them- where would you see the cult having the infrastructure to make use of them?


With adventurers dungeon delving all over Golarion and being common enough to not be surprised, when meeting another group of adventurers, and even the Pathfinder Society internationally organizing such activities, how long do you think it will take until there are no abandoned dungeons, ancient ruins and tombs left to loot?

Or does the world's ecology, of monsters accumulating treasure, necromancers moving into abandoned crypts, ruins becoming ancient and civilizations going out of business replenish the supply of viable dungeons fast enough to not have to worry about them ever running out?


A question I thought of based on the Judgement of Paris.

What if someone in the Inner Sea region wished (from a djinn) for 1) rulership (or control) of Avastan, 2) wisdom and and skill in battle, and 3) the love of the most beautiful woman in the world?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aenigma wrote:

Thank you for answering my many questions, Jacobs. But because of the sheer amount of my questions, you missed to answer the last question of my first post and the whole of the second post, which means from the 6th to the 12nd. Can you please look at them? And I have new questions.

1. You said that Paizo didn't make Canayven as the venture-captain because he's a white dude. I'm curious, because Sheila also looks like a white dude to me. Am I missing something?

2. Is Canayven dissatisfied with the fact that his wife is the venture-captain yet he isn't?

3. Is Andoran the only nation in the world that is seriously concerned about human rights?

4. Does Andoran like or hate the Shackles Pirates? Andorens love liberty, and the pirates are full of liberty. Andorens hate Cheliax, and the pirates are very eager to harass Cheliax. So maybe they are not at enmity with each other? In other words, if a famous Free Captain(who's known for his enthusiastic raids against Chelish ships) travels to Andoran, will he be arrested and excuted? Or will he receive a high five? Of course, he should have never raided an Andoren ship before, though.

5. Are Korvosa and Magnimar friendly toward Riddleport? Do the Riddleport pirates raid these two cities' ships too? That if a crimelord of Riddleport foolishly travels to a settlement that belongs to Korvosa or Magnimar, will they be arrested and excuted?

6. Thranduil in The Battle of the Five Armies rides an elk. What do elves in Golarion(especially in Kyonin and Celwynvian) ride? Horses? Elks? Hippogriffs? Or giant eagles or giant owls?

7. A deity cannot kill a demon lord because it would trigger a great planar war. Then can Lamashtu kill a demon lord? Normally this would trigger a great planar war, but because it is Lamashtu who killed a demon lord this time, it would be regarded as an internal warfare and other non-chaotic non-evil deities would have no problem for Lamashtu killing a demon lord. So, she can freely klil other troublesome demon lords like Pazuzu and Nocticula, right?

1) You are. Sheila is not a dude. She's a woman.

2) Nope. He's very proud of her.

3) Andoran is more concerned about freedom than "human" rights. In fact, "human" rights isn't a huge concern pretty much anywhere in the Inner Sea region as far as I know.

4) Andoran is not a fan of any pirates. Liberty is good, but not when you use your liberty to rob others of their liberty, which is what pirates do when they abduct people, sink ships, rob, pillage etc. If a famous pirate shows up in Andoran and trots about, he'll likely be imprisoned and tried in court.

5) They are not friendly toward Riddleport. All three of the major trade cities of Varisia are kinda not on speaking terms with each other. (I don't count Kaer Maga as a major trade city in Varisia since it's so eccentric and strange—it's its own thing.)

6) It varies by region and religion and preference.

7) If she wanted to, I suspect she would have done so already... particularly Pazuzu. But she has not. Why? Who knows? Us mortals aren't equipped to understand the thoughts of the gods, because they often act "in mysterious ways." And the way we model that in game is by not giving them stats and by not hyper-explaining every single thing they do.

66,601 to 66,650 of 78,074 << first < prev | 1328 | 1329 | 1330 | 1331 | 1332 | 1333 | 1334 | 1335 | 1336 | 1337 | 1338 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.