>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

66,301 to 66,350 of 77,078 << first < prev | 1322 | 1323 | 1324 | 1325 | 1326 | 1327 | 1328 | 1329 | 1330 | 1331 | 1332 | next > last >>

James Jacobs wrote:


I'm not interested in setting a precedent for being the go-to guy for doing end runs around FAQs that haven't yet been replied to. I get it that it's frustrating to have to wait or to endure the impression that the rules team is ignoring a FAQ or whatever, but I also ask you to understand that it's also frustrating for me at this end to see those questions languish. On top of that, it's frustrating when I do provide my answers only to see someone somewhere else use that answer as an official answer and then get PFS stuff all worked up and confused and then it ripples back to me when posters complain "Paizo doesn't have its house in order" and so on. Even if the answer I provided was the one that the design team would have provided, it causes too much headache and frustration all around. Especially for me. I'm not interested in having PFS players complain about me in that regard.

If you're asking for a home game, go with your GM's decision.

If you're asking for PFS, then my only real advice is "Don't play a summoner."

Thanks, there's no problem. It's nothing grand or too important.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Thomas LeBlanc wrote:
James, what was the setup behind your favorite CoC adventure that was not pre-made?
Go inventory an old manor's contents in the outskirts of Dunwich to make things ready for the estate sale.

Ooo that's a nice setup.

Speaking of, have you seen either version of The Lady in Black.

Yup; saw the remake (quite good) and the sequel to the remake (quite boring).

Oh yeah, they did make a sequel.


James, would a Shaman archetype that turns your spirit animal into a phantom animal make sense? Would giving up wandering spirit and wandering hex in return for boosts to the phantom animal be a fair trade for such an archetype?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Berselius wrote:
James, would a Shaman archetype that turns your spirit animal into a phantom animal make sense? Would giving up wandering spirit and wandering hex in return for boosts to the phantom animal be a fair trade for such an archetype?

Nah.


Hi James , i have a question , in the Queen Galfrey's stat block that is in WotR , she has leadership feat but it is not mention her cohort or who is. Does she has an special cohort or something like that ?

Liberty's Edge

James Jacobs wrote:
Paladinosaur wrote:
James, what is your favorite cover from a Paizo product?
Pathfinder #100.

James,

1) What would be your top 10 favorite Paizo covers?
2) What would be your favorite Dungeon Magazine Cover?
3) What would be your favorite Dragon Magazine Cover?
4) Is Pathfinder #100 your favorite cover of a RPG product ever?

Dark Archive

When it comes to the standpoint of balance, do you see an issue with allowing a player to combine the Chosen One (Paladin) archetype with that of Oath of the People's Council?

Under the reasoning that doing so would simply delay the Oath's ability Stirring Monologue to 2nd level as the Chosen One does for Smite which the ability replaces. Especially since after 2nd level the progression after this would be exactly the same. Apart from that, there is no overlap between the archetype and oath.

Personally I don't it as an unbalanced or with issue, and honestly I feel the combination is quite flavorful.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Esquizo wrote:
Hi James , i have a question , in the Queen Galfrey's stat block that is in WotR , she has leadership feat but it is not mention her cohort or who is. Does she has an special cohort or something like that ?

Not sure off the top of my head; she mostly has Leadership becasue of flavor reasons. Her cohort is likely serving her by dealing with a situation elsewhere in the war effort; feel free to make that cohort up to whatever you want. My suggestion would be a cleric of Iomedae.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Paladinosaur wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Paladinosaur wrote:
James, what is your favorite cover from a Paizo product?
Pathfinder #100.

James,

1) What would be your top 10 favorite Paizo covers?
2) What would be your favorite Dungeon Magazine Cover?
3) What would be your favorite Dragon Magazine Cover?
4) Is Pathfinder #100 your favorite cover of a RPG product ever?

1) Pathfinder 100, Pathfinder 1, Pathfinder 3, Into the Darklands, Gods and Magic, Bestiary 4, Lords of Chaos, Inner Sea Gods, Iron Gods 1, Strange Aeons 6.

2) That's a tie between #24 (which had my first traditional adventure in it as well as having the best cover to that point) and #119 (which was the first cover order I did) and #150 (because it was the last volume and I think what Wayne did for that cover was incredible).
3) Dragon 83.
4) Yes.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

JonathonWilder wrote:

When it comes to the standpoint of balance, do you see an issue with allowing a player to combine the Chosen One (Paladin) archetype with that of Oath of the People's Council?

Under the reasoning that doing so would simply delay the Oath's ability Stirring Monologue to 2nd level as the Chosen One does for Smite which the ability replaces. Especially since after 2nd level the progression after this would be exactly the same. Apart from that, there is no overlap between the archetype and oath.

Personally I don't it as an unbalanced or with issue, and honestly I feel the combination is quite flavorful.

The fact that there's overlap is enough to not allow the combo for me, but if the player managed to present the character in a way that her story and theme and personality made that combo justified, I'd allow it.


1. Is Desna actually a giant butterfly? In other words, her elven form is just a mere deception to fool mortals and she's actually a vile Mythos-creature? I ask this because in this page you said similar things and I found in these messageboards some posts that suspecting Desna is actually a Great Old One. I tried to find relevant hints in the books but couldn't find one. Where is the relevant hints about Desna being a Great Old One?

2. Were Calistria, Desna, Erastil, and Gozreh deities from the beginning of their lives?

3. If her elven form is not her true form, why does she take an elven form, and not a human form? Maybe because she likes elves more than humans?

4. Is Nethys actually Nyarlathotep? Or he truly was a human, and has nothing to do with Mythos?

5. The front cover illustration of Black Stars Beckon is about the heroes fighing a dragon around the Eiffel Tower. Does that mean the PCs visit the Earth again?

6. You said that the people of Kaer Maga are not pureblood Azlanti. Does that mean, after the Earthfall, the barbarians like Varisians and Shoanti started to move into the city, and after several thousands of years their blood is so mixed that there remains no purblood Azlanti, Varisians, or Shoanti in the city now?

7. Is queen Galfrey a Taldan, a Chelaxian, or a Kellid?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

What'd be good APs to play a paladin with Oath of the People's Council in? None of the APs seem to take place close enough to Andoran to explain such a PC's presence.


8. Why did Paizo decide to name the capital of Nex Quantium? Is it somehow related to the quantum?

9. Are the quantium golems made of adamantine?

10. Can a golem or a clockwork use weapons? I ask this because giving iron golems or clockwork soldiers bows or firearms seems a good idea.

11. Can a golem or a clockwork ride a horse or a vehicle? I ask this because ordering them to ride a carriage, a ship, or an airplane seems a good idea.

12. There is a weapon called null blade in Technology Guide. Its construction requirements include craft magic arms and armor feat and several spells. Does that mean there was no such weapon in Androffa because Androffans knew no magic? And the first null blade was crafted by a wizard lived in Golarion?

13. Why should there be the Cheliax Covenant in the first place? I'm curious because I don't understand why Abrogail II painstakingly has to renew the covenant every year. After all, the rulers of other nations like Taldor don't need that kind of divine protection to rule a nation. Even the kings of pre-Thrune Cheliax didn't need that kind of protection. So why does the House Thrune need this? If the covenant is not renewed, then the Asmodeans will start an all-out revolt? When they have a formidable foe(the Glorious Reclamation) before their very eyes? It's really hard to understand.


14. Normally, a new adventure path is announced at PaizoCon every year, right? But the upcoming adventure path, Ruins of Azlant, was announced in this page, not at PaizoCon, and its announcement was a bit too earlier than the past adventure paths. Is it some kind of mistake? And when you found out this, it was already too late to delete that blog post?

15. The name of the last book of Ruins of Azlant is Beyond the Veiled Past. And Azlant is closely related to the veiled masters. Does this title accidentally revealed that the final boss of this adventure path would be a veiled master?

16. When hearing about Ironfang Invasion, I thought it would take place in Isger because it's main enemies are hobgoblins and Isger is where the activity of goblinoids is most active in the Inner Sea region. For example the Goblinblood WArs took place in Isger. But then I found that the next Pathfinder campaign setting scheduled is Lands of Conflict, which describes Molthune and Nirmathas. I'm not sure. Maybe the developers of Ironfang Invasion mistakenly thought that the Goblinblood Wars took place in Nirmathas, not Isger, and when they found out this error, it was already too late to change the setting of this adventure path?

17. A campaign setting book describes a region. But Lands of Conflict seems to describe two regions, Molthune and Nirmathas. Why? Is it because nobody in Paizo particularly likes these regions, and thus they decided to publish a book for each of these regions is a waste of time and money and instead decided to publish a book regarding two regions at once for convenience sake?

18. I found that there's a new core book announced, Adventurer's Guide. But it seems that the book inlcudes Golarion-specific lores. Shouldn't it be included in the campaign setting line? Maybe one of the site managers accidentally put the book in the core books category, and when they found out, it was already too late to change the category?


James Jacobs wrote:
Esquizo wrote:
Hi James , i have a question , in the Queen Galfrey's stat block that is in WotR , she has leadership feat but it is not mention her cohort or who is. Does she has an special cohort or something like that ?
Not sure off the top of my head; she mostly has Leadership becasue of flavor reasons. Her cohort is likely serving her by dealing with a situation elsewhere in the war effort; feel free to make that cohort up to whatever you want. My suggestion would be a cleric of Iomedae.

Wouldn't a WarPriest, perhaps with the Divine Commander archetyp, be more appropriate, as someone to more likely to lead in the field?


John Kretzer wrote:

So what word would you prefer to 'fluff'?

I agree with you about that word used in that context.
I tend to use the word lore...but that sounds boring.

Setting and Mechanics, thanks. That's what it is.

Setting and Mechanics.


Which of the main 20 deities actually have followers on other worlds?


James Jacobs wrote:
Esquizo wrote:
Hi James , i have a question , in the Queen Galfrey's stat block that is in WotR , she has leadership feat but it is not mention her cohort or who is. Does she has an special cohort or something like that ?
Not sure off the top of my head; she mostly has Leadership becasue of flavor reasons. Her cohort is likely serving her by dealing with a situation elsewhere in the war effort; feel free to make that cohort up to whatever you want. My suggestion would be a cleric of Iomedae.

thanks you james , that IS what i wanted to hear, i group already finished WotR , i my game . i gave her the Aasimar advisor that is mention in blood of angels book , named Opaline , and i made her a cleric. I just wanted to know if she had an specific cohort but could not make it in the final book realease

Dark Archive

Are there info on Irespan's six pilings that are over the sea? Magnimar has only info on Gecko, Gull, Rat and Harpy(well I guess it does mention that Osprey is political prison)

Dark Archive

Paladinosaur wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

1) What would be your top 10 favorite Paizo covers?

2) What would be your favorite Dungeon Magazine Cover?
3) What would be your favorite Dragon Magazine Cover?
4) Is Pathfinder #100 your favorite cover of a RPG product ever?

1) Pathfinder 100, Pathfinder 1, Pathfinder 3, Into the Darklands, Gods and Magic, Bestiary 4, Lords of Chaos, Inner Sea Gods, Iron Gods 1, Strange Aeons 6.

2) That's a tie between #24 (which had my first traditional adventure in it as well as having the best cover to that point) and #119 (which was the first cover order I did) and #150 (because it was the last volume and I think what Wayne did for that cover was incredible).
3) Dragon 83.
4) Yes.

Ooh, Dungeon 150 was a glorious cover, and I love that you picked one of the Denis Beauvais covers for favorite Dragon cover!

Have you read any of the Warlock 5 comic series that he illustrated? It starts out rough (but with amazing painted covers), but he really grows and by the tenth issue or so, it's absolutely amazing to see.

Has Denis Beauvais done any work for Paizo? Other than some art in Dragonlance, way, way back in the day, and the awesome Dragon magazine covers, I haven't seen his art in d20 for awhile...

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

There's a Bloodborne card game coming out. :3

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aenigma wrote:

1. Is Desna actually a giant butterfly? In other words, her elven form is just a mere deception to fool mortals and she's actually a vile Mythos-creature? I ask this because in this page you said similar things and I found in these messageboards some posts that suspecting Desna is actually a Great Old One. I tried to find relevant hints in the books but couldn't find one. Where is the relevant hints about Desna being a Great Old One?

2. Were Calistria, Desna, Erastil, and Gozreh deities from the beginning of their lives?

3. If her elven form is not her true form, why does she take an elven form, and not a human form? Maybe because she likes elves more than humans?

4. Is Nethys actually Nyarlathotep? Or he truly was a human, and has nothing to do with Mythos?

5. The front cover illustration of Black Stars Beckon is about the heroes fighing a dragon around the Eiffel Tower. Does that mean the PCs visit the Earth again?

6. You said that the people of Kaer Maga are not pureblood Azlanti. Does that mean, after the Earthfall, the barbarians like Varisians and Shoanti started to move into the city, and after several thousands of years their blood is so mixed that there remains no purblood Azlanti, Varisians, or Shoanti in the city now?

7. Is queen Galfrey a Taldan, a Chelaxian, or a Kellid?

1) Desna's current true form is the elven woman with butterfly wings. This was not her original true form, and she may have had many (not just one) previous true form. The appearance(s) of her previous true form(s) have not been described, other than that they were not humanoid, as this was a time before she had humanoid worshipers. She's not a Great Old One; of the core deities (and not just because Great Old Ones are demigods, and she's a deity), she's the one deity who opposes the Elder Mythos the most.

2) Probably.

3) Because she likes pointed ears... although she's still not QUITE elven. Wings aside, she has human eyes, not elf eyes. Folks often call her appearance elven simply because of the pointed ears, but that's not really accurate. Her ethnicity certainly isn't elven.

4) No. He was once human and has nothing to do with the Mythos.

5) Not really. It's more complicated than that. You'll need to wait and see how it plays out.

6) There are no pureblood Azlanti active on Golarion at this point, regardless of the location. The humans in the city of Kaer-Maga are represented by pretty much every other ethnicity you see in the Inner Sea World Guide.

7) Taldan.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What'd be good APs to play a paladin with Oath of the People's Council in? None of the APs seem to take place close enough to Andoran to explain such a PC's presence.

None come to mind, mostly because I'm not all that familiar with the Oath of the People's Council, frankly. Which also means that any AP that's paladin-friendly is a fine choice.


James Jacobs wrote:
Aenigma wrote:


3. If her elven form is not her true form, why does she take an elven form, and not a human form? Maybe because she likes elves more than humans?

3) Because she likes pointed ears... although she's still...

If lycanthropes and druids can have multiple true forms, why not a god?

I assume that if Paizo is going to make the statement that the Core 20 is worshiped in every corner of the universe, would they not have different true forms for every race that does?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:

8. Why did Paizo decide to name the capital of Nex Quantium? Is it somehow related to the quantum?

9. Are the quantium golems made of adamantine?

10. Can a golem or a clockwork use weapons? I ask this because giving iron golems or clockwork soldiers bows or firearms seems a good idea.

11. Can a golem or a clockwork ride a horse or a vehicle? I ask this because ordering them to ride a carriage, a ship, or an airplane seems a good idea.

12. There is a weapon called null blade in Technology Guide. Its construction requirements include craft magic arms and armor feat and several spells. Does that mean there was no such weapon in Androffa because Androffans knew no magic? And the first null blade was crafted by a wizard lived in Golarion?

13. Why should there be the Cheliax Covenant in the first place? I'm curious because I don't understand why Abrogail II painstakingly has to renew the covenant every year. After all, the rulers of other nations like Taldor don't need that kind of divine protection to rule a nation. Even the kings of pre-Thrune Cheliax didn't need that kind of protection. So why does the House Thrune need this? If the covenant is not renewed, then the Asmodeans will start an all-out revolt? When they have a formidable foe(the Glorious Reclamation) before their very eyes? It's really hard to understand.

8) Erik made up that name, not "Paizo." It has nothing to do with "quantum." Agian, the extra "I" in the word makes a huge difference.

9) If it doesn't say in their description in the Inner Sea Bestiary, then what they're made of is unrevealed. It's not adamantine, though, because the color is off.

10) No. They're unintelligent and as such don't know what to do with weapons.

11) No. They're unintelligent and as such don't know what to do with riding a horse or anything like that.

12) The null blade was invented on Golarion, and relatively recently, not on Androffa.

13) Becasue that's the way Thrune gained the support of Hell. Without it they wouldn't have had the infernal backup and support to take over Cheliax in the first place. It's sort of Cheliax's version of the US Constitution, in a way. It's part of the nation's tradition and history.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:

14. Normally, a new adventure path is announced at PaizoCon every year, right? But the upcoming adventure path, Ruins of Azlant, was announced in this page, not at PaizoCon, and its announcement was a bit too earlier than the past adventure paths. Is it some kind of mistake? And when you found out this, it was already too late to delete that blog post?

15. The name of the last book of Ruins of Azlant is Beyond the Veiled Past. And Azlant is closely related to the veiled masters. Does this title accidentally revealed that the final boss of this adventure path would be a veiled master?

16. When hearing about Ironfang Invasion, I thought it would take place in Isger because it's main enemies are hobgoblins and Isger is where the activity of goblinoids is most active in the Inner Sea region. For example the Goblinblood WArs took place in Isger. But then I found that the next Pathfinder campaign setting scheduled is Lands of Conflict, which describes Molthune and Nirmathas. I'm not sure. Maybe the developers of Ironfang Invasion mistakenly thought that the Goblinblood Wars took place in Nirmathas, not Isger, and when they found out this error, it was already too late to change the setting of this adventure path?

17. A campaign setting book describes a region. But Lands of Conflict seems to describe two regions, Molthune and Nirmathas. Why? Is it because nobody in Paizo particularly likes these regions, and thus they decided to publish a book for each of these regions is a waste of time and money and instead decided to publish a book regarding two regions at once for convenience sake?

18. I found that there's a new core book announced, Adventurer's Guide. But it seems that the book inlcudes Golarion-specific lores. Shouldn't it be included in the campaign setting line? Maybe one of the site managers accidentally put the book in the core books category, and when they found out, it was already too late to change the category?

14) We announce the February Adventure Path at PaizoCon, and the August Adventure Path at Gen Con. We announced "Ruins of Azlant" last Gen Con and only then began posting info about it on this page and talking about it in public.

15) Nothing accidental about the title.

16) Ironfang Invasion has always been set in Nirmathas. There are plenty of hobgoblins in that region. The developers of Ironfang Invasion didn't make a mistake; they know about the setting. That's a result of and a reason why they're employed as developers. Ironfang Invasion was concepted and outlined WELL IN ADVANCE of any concepting and outlining for Lands of Conflict, in fact, and Lands of Conflict exists pretty much BECAUSE we're doing Ironfang Invasion. Not the other way around.

17) Because Nirmathas and Molthune are inexorably entwined, and it's tough to talk about one without the other. If nobody in Paizo liked those regions, we not only wouldn't have focused an entire Adventure Path on them, we wouldn't have invented those regions in the first place.

18) Nope. We're (FINALLY) adjusting the core line to include more Golarion content. No accident involved. It's intentional, and a change I've personally been pushing for us to make for several years. It's ridiculous for us to build a core rulebook that invents new story elements that doesn't build upon the work we've spent nearly a decade refining. I wish we'd made this decision years ago so we could have made books like NPC Codex and Monster Codex and all the rest more Golarion friendly. Changing proper nouns to be Golarion nouns does nothing to make it tougher for a GM to include that content in a non-Golarion home game, after all, since those words are made up regardless of if they're Golarion words or some random word meant to be world-neutral, and using Golarion words helps to support and build the one single Pathifnder campaign setting that has VASTLY more players in it than any other one.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Esquizo wrote:
Hi James , i have a question , in the Queen Galfrey's stat block that is in WotR , she has leadership feat but it is not mention her cohort or who is. Does she has an special cohort or something like that ?
Not sure off the top of my head; she mostly has Leadership becasue of flavor reasons. Her cohort is likely serving her by dealing with a situation elsewhere in the war effort; feel free to make that cohort up to whatever you want. My suggestion would be a cleric of Iomedae.
Wouldn't a WarPriest, perhaps with the Divine Commander archetyp, be more appropriate, as someone to more likely to lead in the field?

I prefer clerics, and think that warpriests are too powerful and too complicated to foist off on a GM to run as a secondary minor character like a cohort.

Feel free to make your own choices for your game though.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Delightful wrote:
Which of the main 20 deities actually have followers on other worlds?

All of them.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

CorvusMask wrote:
Are there info on Irespan's six pilings that are over the sea? Magnimar has only info on Gecko, Gull, Rat and Harpy(well I guess it does mention that Osprey is political prison)

Once you get out of Magnimar, the majority of the Irespan's pilings have collapsed and are either totally gone or submerged underwater. There are a few that stick up from the Gulf here and there, and certainly a few more on the islands leading out to Hollow Mountain. We haven't detailed them at all yet, but you can certainly assume that those pilings are similar in construction to the ones we have detailed.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Set wrote:

Ooh, Dungeon 150 was a glorious cover, and I love that you picked one of the Denis Beauvais covers for favorite Dragon cover!

Have you read any of the Warlock 5 comic series that he illustrated? It starts out rough (but with amazing painted covers), but he really grows and by the tenth issue or so, it's absolutely amazing to see.

Has Denis Beauvais done any work for Paizo? Other than some art in Dragonlance, way, way back in the day, and the awesome Dragon magazine covers, I haven't seen his art in d20 for awhile...

Nope.

Nope.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
There's a Bloodborne card game coming out. :3

No thanks. I've enough big boxes of card games and board games that I never play and in some cases have never even opened taking up shelf space already.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Aenigma wrote:


3. If her elven form is not her true form, why does she take an elven form, and not a human form? Maybe because she likes elves more than humans?

3) Because she likes pointed ears... although she's still...

If lycanthropes and druids can have multiple true forms, why not a god?

I assume that if Paizo is going to make the statement that the Core 20 is worshiped in every corner of the universe, would they not have different true forms for every race that does?

You misread my post. I was talking about "true forms" not "multiple forms." EVERY deity can have multiple forms, and can pretty much appear however she/he/it wants to appear.

And you misread the other post too. Being worshiped on other worlds is not the same as being worshiped on every world, or being worshiped in every corner of the universe.

You need only look at Dragon Empires to see some of the Inner Sea core deities worshiped in different ways, so that idea is well established already.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
There's a Bloodborne card game coming out. :3
No thanks. I've enough big boxes of card games and board games that I never play and in some cases have never even opened taking up shelf space already.

Aww, sorry.

Scarab Sages

Where do worshipers of the Elemental Lords (like my Cleric) go when they die?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
Where do worshipers of the Elemental Lords (like my Cleric) go when they die?

Assuming it all goes well, they go to their deity's realm, as with any other worshiper. The rules don't currently cover what a petitioner that goes to the elemental planes or some other non-outer plane is though.

Scarab Sages

Maybe they turn into elemental kami?

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
18) Nope. We're (FINALLY) adjusting the core line to include more Golarion content. No accident involved. It's intentional, and a change I've personally been pushing for us to make for several years. It's ridiculous for us to build a core rulebook that invents new story elements that doesn't build upon the work we've spent nearly a decade refining. I wish we'd made this decision years ago so we could have made books like NPC Codex and Monster Codex and all the rest more Golarion friendly. Changing proper nouns to be Golarion nouns does nothing to make it tougher for a GM to include that content in a non-Golarion home game, after all, since those words are made up regardless of if they're Golarion words or some random word meant to be world-neutral, and using Golarion words helps to support and build the one single Pathifnder campaign setting that has VASTLY more players in it than any other one.

I actually approve of this move. The longstanding drive toward setting-agnosticism, while it makes sense at first, appears to lead to all kinds of collateral problems and misapprehensions that snowball into a number of things I've seen go wrong with gaming over the past decade.

Does this also mean you're considering adding new and different campaign settings (with different standards and metaphysics, even), or are at least open to that potentiality?


James Jacobs wrote:
Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Esquizo wrote:
Hi James , i have a question , in the Queen Galfrey's stat block that is in WotR , she has leadership feat but it is not mention her cohort or who is. Does she has an special cohort or something like that ?
Not sure off the top of my head; she mostly has Leadership becasue of flavor reasons. Her cohort is likely serving her by dealing with a situation elsewhere in the war effort; feel free to make that cohort up to whatever you want. My suggestion would be a cleric of Iomedae.
Wouldn't a WarPriest, perhaps with the Divine Commander archetyp, be more appropriate, as someone to more likely to lead in the field?

I prefer clerics, and think that warpriests are too powerful and too complicated to foist off on a GM to run as a secondary minor character like a cohort.

Feel free to make your own choices for your game though.

agree with james there , it was easier for me to use a generic cleric statblock . I just made some minor changes , like the race ( Aasimar) and domains Law/good. In my game Opaline helped them with healing. But yhea a warprist would be more flavor

Paizo Employee Creative Director

I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
Maybe they turn into elemental kami?

That doesn't make sense. Kami are Material Plane spirits.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
18) Nope. We're (FINALLY) adjusting the core line to include more Golarion content. No accident involved. It's intentional, and a change I've personally been pushing for us to make for several years. It's ridiculous for us to build a core rulebook that invents new story elements that doesn't build upon the work we've spent nearly a decade refining. I wish we'd made this decision years ago so we could have made books like NPC Codex and Monster Codex and all the rest more Golarion friendly. Changing proper nouns to be Golarion nouns does nothing to make it tougher for a GM to include that content in a non-Golarion home game, after all, since those words are made up regardless of if they're Golarion words or some random word meant to be world-neutral, and using Golarion words helps to support and build the one single Pathifnder campaign setting that has VASTLY more players in it than any other one.

I actually approve of this move. The longstanding drive toward setting-agnosticism, while it makes sense at first, appears to lead to all kinds of collateral problems and misapprehensions that snowball into a number of things I've seen go wrong with gaming over the past decade.

Does this also mean you're considering adding new and different campaign settings (with different standards and metaphysics, even), or are at least open to that potentiality?

Absolutely not.

One of the reasons we were so timid about blending the rules and the world like this was the perception that gamers who don't use Golarion would perceive anything with Golarion on it as useless to them. Back in the day, gamers who saw a "world neutral" adventure would be fine with it, but if it was set in Greyhawk or Eberron or the Forgotten Realms, they'd think they couldn't use it. My theory is that since Golarion is our ONLY setting, the rules can support that setting as the assumed core world without distraction—and in fact, they've been doing so from the start.

So, no, we won't be building new campaign settings for Pathifnder. That'd fracture the audience.

Instead, you will see us do entire new games. Say, like Starfinder.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Esquizo wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Esquizo wrote:
Hi James , i have a question , in the Queen Galfrey's stat block that is in WotR , she has leadership feat but it is not mention her cohort or who is. Does she has an special cohort or something like that ?
Not sure off the top of my head; she mostly has Leadership becasue of flavor reasons. Her cohort is likely serving her by dealing with a situation elsewhere in the war effort; feel free to make that cohort up to whatever you want. My suggestion would be a cleric of Iomedae.
Wouldn't a WarPriest, perhaps with the Divine Commander archetyp, be more appropriate, as someone to more likely to lead in the field?

I prefer clerics, and think that warpriests are too powerful and too complicated to foist off on a GM to run as a secondary minor character like a cohort.

Feel free to make your own choices for your game though.

agree with james there , it was easier for me to use a generic cleric statblock . I just made some minor changes , like the race ( Aasimar) and domains Law/good. In my game Opaline helped them with healing. But yhea a warprist would be more flavor

I disagree. Clerics are plenty flavorful.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Hey, I saw that you were the development lead on Divine Anthology, which was my favorite companion book in the year+ that I've subscribed to it. (I even wrote a review for it, but the site logged me out and ate the review when I went to post it.) Anyways, I really loved the Apocryphal Subdomains. Will we see any more of them in the future?

Dark Archive

Does new position on having core line involve Golarion slightly increase chances of npc & monster(and maybe even Villain one) codex 2 with Golarion ties included? :D


1. I thought Desna was originally a demigoddess, and then she met Curchanus and he redeemed her. And now she actively opposes the Mythos and the Dominion because she was one of them before and thus she's the only one among the gods that realizes they're the greatest threat Golarion has ever faced. So this isn't the reason she oppose the Dark Tapestry?

2. And she has never been a demigoddess before, and has never been evil before? I thought she was an apprentice or herald of Curchanus, like Iomedae was a herald of Aroden.

3. You said that she was not a Great Old One. Silly me, obviously she can't be a Great Old One, because they are demigods, and she's a deity. So, was she an Outer Goddess?

4. Pharasma's, Calistria's, Nocticula's and Shamira's eyes are monochromatic. Does that mean they like elves more than humans, and thus they took elf-like forms?

5. You said golems and clockworks cannot use weapons because they're unintelligent. But Bestiary said that iron golems sometimes carry a weapon in one hand. And Bestiary 2 said that most clockwork soldiers are armed with magic weapons, and the illustration of the clockwork soldier clearly depicts it holding a halberd. And there's more. If a construct cannot use weapons, how can there be cannon golems, clockwork dragons, and clockwork goliaths? Breath weapons and cannons are weapons too, after all. Maybe they can use weapons, even though they have no Int?

6. Will the primary enemies of Ruins of Azlant be the aboleths? And considering the title Beyond the Veiled Past, will the final boss of the adventure path be a veiled master?

7. It's mentioned that Molthune accepts monsters like hobgoblins, centaurs, and lycanthropes as soldiers. What about Cheliax, Taldor and Nirmathas? Do these nations have no non-human soldiers because they're full of human supremacy and (rightfully) suspect monster soldiers' loyalty? Wow, I didn't know Molthune is so egalitarian. Then Andoran, the most egalitarian nation in the Inner Sea region, should have monster soldiers too, right?

8. The Sun Temple Colony was discovered by the colonists from the Chelish province of Andoran in 4246 AR. At that time, Andoran was a part of Cheliax and thus the colonists would have regarded themselves Chelaxians because there was no sovereign state of Andoran at that time. So, if a PC wants to inform their motherland that there're still some survivors in Old Azlant and they desperately need help from the mainland, which naiton would be appropriate? Maybe Cheliax and Andoran both would claim the suzerainty on the Sun Temple Colony and its survivors?

Liberty's Edge

I mean here's your lycanthrope

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Will Huston wrote:
Hey, I saw that you were the development lead on Divine Anthology, which was my favorite companion book in the year+ that I've subscribed to it. (I even wrote a review for it, but the site logged me out and ate the review when I went to post it.) Anyways, I really loved the Apocryphal Subdomains. Will we see any more of them in the future?

Dunno; no plans at this point but it's possible.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

CorvusMask wrote:
Does new position on having core line involve Golarion slightly increase chances of npc & monster(and maybe even Villain one) codex 2 with Golarion ties included? :D

Not really. Since we've already done those books in softcover.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:

1. I thought Desna was originally a demigoddess, and then she met Curchanus and he redeemed her. And now she actively opposes the Mythos and the Dominion because she was one of them before and thus she's the only one among the gods that realizes they're the greatest threat Golarion has ever faced. So this isn't the reason she oppose the Dark Tapestry?

2. And she has never been a demigoddess before, and has never been evil before? I thought she was an apprentice or herald of Curchanus, like Iomedae was a herald of Aroden.

3. You said that she was not a Great Old One. Silly me, obviously she can't be a Great Old One, because they are demigods, and she's a deity. So, was she an Outer Goddess?

4. Pharasma's, Calistria's, Nocticula's and Shamira's eyes are monochromatic. Does that mean they like elves more than humans, and thus they took elf-like forms?

5. You said golems and clockworks cannot use weapons because they're unintelligent. But Bestiary said that iron golems sometimes carry a weapon in one hand. And Bestiary 2 said that most clockwork soldiers are armed with magic weapons, and the illustration of the clockwork soldier clearly depicts it holding a halberd. And there's more. If a construct cannot use weapons, how can there be cannon golems, clockwork dragons, and clockwork goliaths? Breath weapons and cannons are weapons too, after all. Maybe they can use weapons, even though they have no Int?

6. Will the primary enemies of Ruins of Azlant be the aboleths? And considering the title Beyond the Veiled Past, will the final boss of the adventure path be a veiled master?

7. It's mentioned that Molthune accepts monsters like hobgoblins, centaurs, and lycanthropes as soldiers. What about Cheliax, Taldor and Nirmathas? Do these nations have no non-human soldiers because they're full of human supremacy and (rightfully) suspect monster soldiers' loyalty? Wow, I didn't know Molthune is so egalitarian. Then Andoran, the most egalitarian nation in the Inner Sea region, should have monster soldiers too, right?

8. The Sun Temple Colony was discovered by the colonists from the Chelish province of Andoran in 4246 AR. At that time, Andoran was a part of Cheliax and thus the colonists would have regarded themselves Chelaxians because there was no sovereign state of Andoran at that time. So, if a PC wants to inform their motherland that there're still some survivors in Old Azlant and they desperately need help from the mainland, which naiton would be appropriate? Maybe Cheliax and Andoran both would claim the suzerainty on the Sun Temple Colony and its survivors?

1) Nope; you're wrong there. She did indeed have an association with Curchanus, but was never a demigod, and is a MUCH older deity than Curchanus was.

2) She's never been evil. OR an apprentice.

3) No. We covered this already, pedantic gymnastics aside.

4) No.

5) Bestiary is wrong. Clockwork soldiers are an exception; if a construct can use weapons, it will be statted up with them.

6) You have to wait till the AP is out to find out.

7) Not so much. That's one of the things that sets Molthune apart from the other nations you mention, and one of the reasons Ironfang Invasion made so much sense to take place in the region. (Turns out that our developers DO know the setting and it wasn't a mistake to set the AP there after all... who woulda guessed?)

8) I don't know that much about the Sun Temple Colony, but it seems ridiculous to assume that the colonists there have remained ignorant of the state of the Inner Sea Region for over 100 years.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

After recently running Carrion Hill, I noticed something:

Carrion Hill spoilers:
At the "crime scene", where the Spawn of Yog-Sothoth first appeared, a spiral was smeared on a wall using one of th mangled bodies as a paintbrush. The spiral even made it into one of the first pieces of artwork in the module.

The text explains it as a reference to the Old Cults, but does not even mention the obvious parallel to Pharasma's holy symbol.

So my question is: What, if any, is the connection between Pharasma and the Old Cults? Why would they use such a very similar symbol?

Dark Archive

Well in case of npc codex there are still newer classes without easy-to-use-ready-made-statblocks available plus I don't think Inner Sea NPC Codex had written up characters and roleplaying tips like NPC codex did. And there are a lot of monsters who could use monster codex treatment. But yeah, I can see why that wouldn't increase the chances :'D

Come to think about it, does that mean Inner Sea Villains is possible book in future?

66,301 to 66,350 of 77,078 << first < prev | 1322 | 1323 | 1324 | 1325 | 1326 | 1327 | 1328 | 1329 | 1330 | 1331 | 1332 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.