>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

65,851 to 65,900 of 77,265 << first < prev | 1313 | 1314 | 1315 | 1316 | 1317 | 1318 | 1319 | 1320 | 1321 | 1322 | 1323 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

TheHappyFlumph wrote:

Do demons physically change form like devils when they grow in power or do the say much the same and just gain class levels or the like?

What do Quasits do after their master dies, as i understand they can sometimes catch their masters souls, but what do they do with this afterwards?

That's an element that's more D&D than Pathfinder.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Paradcx wrote:
Do spells and effects that grant temporary boosts to stats prevent becoming unconscious or dead from ability damage? i.e. cast bull strength before casting blood money to allow 4 more points of strength to be spent.

Rules questions need to be asked in the rules forums.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Delightful wrote:
How would Calistria react to Nocticula becoming a CN deity that somewhat mirrors her own portfolio?

It doesn't somewhat mirror her own. She'd not care.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
If you were abducted by aliens, and they gave you one extra fully functional limb, or body part, what limb or body part would you prefer.

Extra soul.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Armenius wrote:
You mentioned a couple pages back that an early version of Erastil was little a misogynist, could you elaborate that? I'm playing a lawful neutral half-orc warpriest of Erastil that occasionally gets in bouts with our oracle of Desna for his uh, rather dated views.

Not really. That was an element Sean introduced into his article that was in error. It was never intended to be part of the Erastil mythos, and that's all I have to say about that. Let it stay dead in the graveyard of bad ideas.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Purple Dragon Knight wrote:
Why? why did I look up that dreadful hyphenated word?? (things have gotten apparently less mild since 1993's 'Ninja Scroll'... but yes, I was referring to... funny tentacles.... so... for hilarity's sake if I ever get around to play Strange Aeons, Arshae's on the list... provided there are an adequate dose of tentacled monsters that is... :P)

Some jokes just aren't funny, I guess.


1. So was Aroden the Solas of humans. I mean, was he something of a racist human supremacist whose idea of human glory involved the convenient removal of dwarves, elves and other non-humans?

2. Is Milani pulling a Sera in that she's kind of ashamed or removed from her elven heritage? I'm asking because her description says doesn't like any of the elven gods but doesn't really explain why.

3. Sorry got DA on the mind. Did Cassandra remind you of Iomedae while you were playing Dragon Age or is it just me?

4. Why exactly is Erastil called out as a traditionalist more than any of the other gods? Farming, hunting, communities and family aren't outdated concepts in Golarion and since he's lost his misogyny what makes him any more traditional and stuck in his ways than other lawful deities?

5. What do Erastil and Shelyn disagree strongly about?


1) What monsters/challenges would you put in a low level wizards tower( Like APL under 5 or 6)?

2) What's your favourite stock location to set a dungeon crawl style adventure?

3) Are there any common mispronuciations in pathfinder that really bother you?

4) I know the term 'fluff' bothers you, are there any other gaming terms you dislike/find distasteful?

5) Are there any flying cities on golarion or in the outer planes?

6) What flaws does Iomedae have? How about Desna?

7) Any journey to the centre of the earth style content coming up? Or likely at any future point?

8) What's your favourite set of dice?


James Jacobs wrote:
14) I believe I've addressed this already. If I hadn't had to worry about backwards compatibility, I would have removed the Law, Chaos, Evil, and Good domains from the game entirely and spread those powers around among new domains, so that deities could have more flavorful choices for the domains they grant. I would probably do a stealth version of this—there'd likely be 8 domains in the game that would be themed toward an alignment type. We sort of already have this. Death is evil themed, glory is good themed. That said, it is what it is for now and it's not that horrific of a restriction to worry much about.

1. Yes, you answered similar question in this page. But I asked it again in the former question because I couldn't be sure if you were saying that you wanted to remove the alignment system entirely, or just wanted to remove the alignment domains only, and retaining the alignment system. Maybe the latter is correct? That you like the alignment system but dislike the alignment domains?

2. In that page you said that removing the alignment domains would disrupt existing deity stuff from a cleric's viewpoint. I don't understand. How can removing the alignment domains disrupt a cleric's faith?

3. You said glory domain is not on-model for Aroden, becuase he's neutral, not good. But I found that Gorum has glory domain too. Do you think glory is on-model for Gorum? He's a god of war, but he's not particularly good. Thus he's not appropriate for glory domain, right?

4. Do you think darkness and void domain is on-model for evil gods? I ask this because I was surprised that desna has no access to these domains.

5. Do you think only those lawful good gods(like Erastil and Iomedae) are interested in justice and judgement, and those non-lawful good gods are not interested in those concepts? For example, do you think Abadar, Asmodeus, Desna, Milani, and Sarenrae are interested in justice and judgement?

6. I can't find the Emerald Spire, Thornkeep and the Fort Inevitable in the map in the River Kingdoms section in Inner Sea World Guide. Did Paizo forget to include them?

7. I'm surprised that Paizo published a campaign setting book for a small town like Thornkeep. Seems like Thornkeep is the center of interest of Paizo. Can I assume that Paizo will publish a campaign setting book about Sandpoint, Paizo's other favorite town?


8. According to The Dead Heart of Xin, Thassilon's construct technology seems very good. How did Azlant and Thassilon produce construct? Did they craft them with manual labor, or did they have some kind of factory that produced golems and clockworks automatically?

9. If I kill Xin, would his constructs all be mine? Or because they lost their master, they will start rampaging and thus I have to destroy them all? I ask this because the book said that if the PCs lose, Xin's automatons begin construction of a massive bridge to connect Xin to Magnimar. And I think snatching Xin's automatons and ordering them to build a bridge would be a good idea.

10. To me, the Varisians seeem like the real world gypsies. Gypsies came from India. Does that mean Varisians originated from Vudra?

11. Is there any Varisian settlements in Varisia? I mean, it seems that most settlements in Varisia are composed of Chelaxians. Magnimar is a good place for Varisians to live, but it still is a Chelaxian settlements. Maybe Galduria?

12. If I want to remove magic missile's always accurate attack feature, how should I change the spell? Should I let the caster make an attack roll? Or should I let the target make a saving throw? I ask this because I want to increase the maximum number of magic missiles to 10 in exchange for its always accurate attack feature.

13. Demon lords have abyssal resurrection ability which lets them resurrect unless they die twice a year. Do nascent demon lords like Treerazer have this ability too?

14. You said that the crusaders can craft new wardstones if given time. Then how about the old wardstones that lost power at the end of The Worldwound Incursion? Can they be recharged or reactivated? Or they are just a bunch of nice-looking stones without any magical power now?

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber

Without going into spoilers, on what kind of frequency did Shensen perform at the Kintargo Opera House in the years leading to the events described in Hell's Rebels?

character concept with star struck Shensen trait:
Valeria Tanessen
Female Human Bard 1 (Chelish Diva)
CG medium humanoid
(19 year old, 5 ft 1 in, 125 lbs, fair skin, light brown eyes and hair, wears a red gown with extensive yet tasteful jewelry, and sometimes has roses tied in her hair)
Init +10 Senses Normal Vision Perception +6
DEFENSE
AC 13, touch 11, flat-footed 12
hp 9
Fort 1 Reflex 3 Will 4
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft
Melee Touch -1 (Varies/x2)
Ranged Dagger +1 (1d4/19-20/x2) or Ranged Touch +1 (Varies/x2)
Space 5 Reach 5
STATISTICS
STR 8 DEX 12 CON 12 INT 14 WIS 14 CHA 19
BAB 0 CMB -1 CMD 10
Feats Noble Scion (Tanessen), Improved Initiative
Skills Acrobatics 1, Appraise 2, Bluff 5, Climb -1, Diplomacy 8, Disguise 4, Escape Artist 1, Fly 1, Heal 2, Intimidate 5, Knowledge (local) 7, Knowledge (nobility) 8, Knowledge (religion) 6, Linguistics 6, Perception 6, Sing 9, Dance 8, Act 4, Oratory 4, Ride 1, Sense Motive 2, Spellcraft 6, Stealth 1, Survival 2, Swim -1, Use Magic Device 8
Traits Star Struck with Shensen (Campaign), Reactionary (Combat), Operatic (Race - Human), Headstrong (drawback)
Languages Common, Halfling, Infernal, Elven
Class Features: Bardic Performance (Su) - countersong, distraction, fascinate, inspire courage; Famous (1,000 people)
Gear Dagger, Backpack - masterwork, Pouch - belt (2pp, 10gp, 19sp, 10cp), Courtier's outfit, Signet ring, Jewelry - 50gp's worth

Bard Spells Known (CL 1st; concentration +5)
1st, DC 15, 2/day — charm person, sleep
0, DC 14 (at will) — dancing lights, detect magic, lullaby, message

Background:

Born within the rich Tanessen family in Kintargo, Valeria has lived a privileged life, with the best education money can afford.  Military contractors and suppliers by trade, her family had frequent dealings with generals, noble patriarchs, church authorities and government delegates.  Such politics and affairs of trade were endured with relative patience, but her true passion was fully discovered when her parents brought her to the opera the first time.  Recognizing her affinity with the arts, her parents finally stopped trying to involve her in affairs of trade, logistics and combat, and used their influence to secure the best teachers to foster her talent.

Her years at the Kintargo Opera House saw her flourish, and she made several minor parts in which she gained some acclaim.  One of her most precious season was when she served as the understudy of Shensen, the famous half-elf performer adored by Kintargan citizens.  She learned each line by heart, delighted to be in the presence of such an icon!  Along the years, and perhaps in no small part due to the influence of Shensen, it was also there that she opened her eyes to the realities of world at large.  No longer confined by the sheltered life of the Tanessen Estate, she saw the real struggle and pain brought about by poverty and injustice, and quickly realized that life in Cheliax was a one-sided affair for the ruling elite.  Some of the most talented singers and actresses at the Opera House often came from humble beginnings, and thus never got the big break they deserved.  In the last few months, Valeria voiced her concerns about this unethical selection process, and she has been made aware that if it wasn't for her family name, such talk would see her thrown out of the prestigious institution.

Her parents, while proud of her, have attempted to bring her back to reason and tried to explain that speaking out like this would only bring shame upon the family and attract the wrong kind of attention from either the Church of Asmodeus or House Thrune, both of which have extensive contracts with the Tanessen.  After one soirée at the Tanessen Estate where her father was entertaining guests, including two generals and one admiral, she drank too much, and during one of her singing performance, changed some of the lyrics on the spot to denounce the cruelty of the Cheliax Empire and its 'relentless war machine.'  Her father, furious, came down on her like a lion and slapped her so hard she fell unconscious.  She woke up the next morning in the servant's quarters, her bags had been packed, and a maid gave her a note, in which her father indicated that she should strive to complete her studies at the Opera House and make her family proud again.  "You are no longer welcome at the Tanessen Estate until such time when we will inform you that you are worthy of the family's trust again.  This document is legally binding.  Signed, Count Geoff Tanessen." Since then, Valeria has had her last name struck from the opera bill boards, and her stage name is now simply "Valeria".

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Delightful wrote:

1. So was Aroden the Solas of humans. I mean, was he something of a racist human supremacist whose idea of human glory involved the convenient removal of dwarves, elves and other non-humans?

2. Is Milani pulling a Sera in that she's kind of ashamed or removed from her elven heritage? I'm asking because her description says doesn't like any of the elven gods but doesn't really explain why.

3. Sorry got DA on the mind. Did Cassandra remind you of Iomedae while you were playing Dragon Age or is it just me?

4. Why exactly is Erastil called out as a traditionalist more than any of the other gods? Farming, hunting, communities and family aren't outdated concepts in Golarion and since he's lost his misogyny what makes him any more traditional and stuck in his ways than other lawful deities?

5. What do Erastil and Shelyn disagree strongly about?

1) nope.

2) Not really.

3) A little.

4) Dunno, good question.

5) Zon-Kuthon.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
TheHappyFlumph wrote:

1) What monsters/challenges would you put in a low level wizards tower( Like APL under 5 or 6)?

2) What's your favourite stock location to set a dungeon crawl style adventure?

3) Are there any common mispronuciations in pathfinder that really bother you?

4) I know the term 'fluff' bothers you, are there any other gaming terms you dislike/find distasteful?

5) Are there any flying cities on golarion or in the outer planes?

6) What flaws does Iomedae have? How about Desna?

7) Any journey to the centre of the earth style content coming up? Or likely at any future point?

8) What's your favourite set of dice?

1) Gremlins, low CR constructs and clockworks, some sort of mook race to serve the wizard as servants (kobolds or mites), and sommething associated with the wizard's focus in magic (undead for a necromancer, outsiders for a conjurer, etc.).

2) Ruined/profaned temple.

3) Yes.

4) Gish is probably the one that annoys me as much as fluff.

5) Yes; see the Shory.

6) Iomedae is a bit quick to judge and has trouble showing compassion; too much time spent fighting evil, perhaps, has diluted her capacity to be happy. Desna is too quick to act on her emotions and doesn't always think through her plans how they might affect the big picture.

7) Not currently.

8) My lava-colored elder sign percentile dice.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aenigma wrote:

1. Yes, you answered similar question in this page. But I asked it again in the former question because I couldn't be sure if you were saying that you wanted to remove the alignment system entirely, or just wanted to remove the alignment domains only, and retaining the alignment system. Maybe the latter is correct? That you like the alignment system but dislike the alignment domains?

2. In that page you said that removing the alignment domains would disrupt existing deity stuff from a cleric's viewpoint. I don't understand. How can removing the alignment domains disrupt a cleric's faith?

3. You said glory domain is not on-model for Aroden, becuase he's neutral, not good. But I found that Gorum has glory domain too. Do you think glory is on-model for Gorum? He's a god of war, but he's not particularly good. Thus he's not appropriate for glory domain, right?

4. Do you think darkness and void domain is on-model for evil gods? I ask this because I was surprised that desna has no access to these domains.

5. Do you think only those lawful good gods(like Erastil and Iomedae) are interested in justice and judgement, and those non-lawful good gods are not interested in those concepts? For example, do you think Abadar, Asmodeus, Desna, Milani, and Sarenrae are interested in justice and judgement?

6. I can't find the Emerald Spire, Thornkeep and the Fort Inevitable in the map in the River Kingdoms section in Inner Sea World Guide. Did Paizo forget to include them?

7. I'm surprised that Paizo published a campaign setting book for a small town like Thornkeep. Seems like Thornkeep is the center of interest of Paizo. Can I assume that Paizo will publish a campaign setting book about Sandpoint, Paizo's other favorite town?

1) I think the alignment system is one of the strongest and most useful and most well-known innovations of Dungeons & Dragons.

2) All the players who have clerics who have any of the alignment domains would have to re-choose their domains, and players HATE having to do that. Every time we do something minor that changes a rule the boards fill with froth and hate, and changing something that enormous would perhaps cause an uprising. Has nothing to do with affecting the cleric in-game, since in-game you can say "this is how it's always been." It's got EVERYTHING to do with the players getting annoyed.

3) Glory IS on model for Gorum, because he revels so much in the glory of war. This is also a case of giving a deity an unexpected domain to give them personality.

4) It is for some evil gods, and for some non-evil ones. Desna doesn't have darkness because she's a goddess of stars, which are the opposite of darkness. She doesn't have Void, because that domain got invented many years after we invented Desna, and by that point her domains were already very well established.

5) They're all interested in justice and judgement to certain extent, but none nearly so as Iomedae or other deities with "justice" or "judgement" in their areas of concern.

6) That's because the Emerald Spire, Thornkeep, and Fort Inevitable were all invented long after we published the River Kingdom book and the Inner Sea World Guide. You can't forget to include something that isn't invented yet.

7) It's a center of interest for the Pathfinder MMO, which needed a booster shot at the time from our pen and paper fan base, so Management decided that we should create some pen and paper products based on brand-new content that was being invented for the video game. You'll note that outside of the two books you mention, we haven't done ANYTHING with those locations. I think a Sandpoint book would be GREAT and I would love to write one, but for various in-house reasons I'm not going to get into, it hasn't happened yet.

Dark Archive

Have you ever watched JoJo's Bizarre Adventures?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aenigma wrote:

8. According to The Dead Heart of Xin, Thassilon's construct technology seems very good. How did Azlant and Thassilon produce construct? Did they craft them with manual labor, or did they have some kind of factory that produced golems and clockworks automatically?

9. If I kill Xin, would his constructs all be mine? Or because they lost their master, they will start rampaging and thus I have to destroy them all? I ask this because the book said that if the PCs lose, Xin's automatons begin construction of a massive bridge to connect Xin to Magnimar. And I think snatching Xin's automatons and ordering them to build a bridge would be a good idea.

10. To me, the Varisians seeem like the real world gypsies. Gypsies came from India. Does that mean Varisians originated from Vudra?

11. Is there any Varisian settlements in Varisia? I mean, it seems that most settlements in Varisia are composed of Chelaxians. Magnimar is a good place for Varisians to live, but it still is a Chelaxian settlements. Maybe Galduria?

12. If I want to remove magic missile's always accurate attack feature, how should I change the spell? Should I let the caster make an attack roll? Or should I let the target make a saving throw? I ask this because I want to increase the maximum number of magic missiles to 10 in exchange for its always accurate attack feature.

13. Demon lords have abyssal resurrection ability which lets them resurrect unless they die twice a year. Do nascent demon lords like Treerazer have this ability too?

14. You said that the crusaders can craft new wardstones if given time. Then how about the old wardstones that lost power at the end of The Worldwound Incursion? Can they be recharged or reactivated? Or they are just a bunch of nice-looking stones without any magical power now?

8) NPCs with the Craft Construct feat built those constructs, using technicques and materials and methods that have been lost to time (which is why constructs have the "difficult to create" quality today).

9) No. Any constructs he once controlled would either keep doing what their last orders had them doing, or would go berserk, or would become free-willed, or would shut down. You don't get control of any of them.

10) No.

11) The Varisians of Varisia are traditionally nomadic, and didn't really build cities or towns, unlike the Varisians of Ustalav.

12) I wouldn't. When game companies have done this before, it's caused revolutions. I would remove magic missile from the game ENTIRELY before I removed it's always accurate attack feature.

13) No, because nascent demon lords don't have an abyssal realm.

14) Nope. You'd have to rebuild them, and that'd be a waste of time and resources.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Purple Dragon Knight wrote:

Without going into spoilers, on what kind of frequency did Shensen perform at the Kintargo Opera House in the years leading to the events described in Hell's Rebels?

** spoiler omitted **...

Quite often. Once per season if I could finagle it, but I'd usually take one season off to go do adventure stuff or mess with the Thrunies. So... I guess 3 times a year on average.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

NenkotaMoon wrote:
Have you ever watched JoJo's Bizarre Adventures?

Nope.


Questions about blazing rainbow.

1. Damage reduction. It is subject to damage reduction correct? And as such, if the damage of the shot is reduced to 0, will the effects of the shot be applied? (The minute of Faire fire)

2. The Faire fire ability it applies on hit. Is it subject to magic resistance like Faire fire is? I believe it isn't, but can't find anything on it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

AramilNuren wrote:

Questions about blazing rainbow.

1. Damage reduction. It is subject to damage reduction correct? And as such, if the damage of the shot is reduced to 0, will the effects of the shot be applied? (The minute of Faire fire)

2. The Faire fire ability it applies on hit. Is it subject to magic resistance like Faire fire is? I believe it isn't, but can't find anything on it.

These are drifting into the rules question arena, and should be asked on the rules forums so folks can FAQ them.

Grand Lodge

Hey James a few questions for you.

1. Do Runewells hurt the souls that pass through them?

2. If you were going to combine the magical craft to make golems and the technology to make robots, would you make it a new kind of construct? (Not asking for stats)

3. What would you say the primary differences between Yog-Sothoth and Azathoth would be?

A few question about the new Curse of the Crimson Throne book.:

First and foremost I just want to say that the new Curse of the Crimson Throne book is very fun to read so far and it is making me excited to run it.

4. Do you know of any good soundtracks and songs that you might recommend for it?

5. Does the Everdawn Pool get destroyed at the end of the adventure when someone plunges Serithtial into it?

6. In the book Artifacts and Legends it says that when Kazavon is brought back using all or his Relics he will end up as a Ravener. So should you throw on that template on those stats for Kazavon making him a CR 27 creature?

7. If your players were going to use the redeemed corruption forge from Wrath of the Righteous on all of the Relics of Kazavon. Would you have Kazavon become good because of it?

8. Do you think using the redeemed corruption forge on intelligent items and artifacts is an evil thing to do?

Community & Digital Content Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Removed a few posts. Unless you're asking James questions, keep it out of the thread. Thanks!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Therrux wrote:

Hey James a few questions for you.

1. Do Runewells hurt the souls that pass through them?

2. If you were going to combine the magical craft to make golems and the technology to make robots, would you make it a new kind of construct? (Not asking for stats)

3. What would you say the primary differences between Yog-Sothoth and Azathoth would be?

Spoiler:

First and foremost I just want to say that the new Curse of the Crimson Throne book is very fun to read so far and it is making me excited to run it.

4. Do you know of any good soundtracks and songs that you might recommend for it?

5. Does the Everdawn Pool get destroyed at the end of the adventure when someone plunges Serithtial into it?

6. In the book Artifacts and Legends it says that when Kazavon is brought back using all or his Relics he will end up as a Ravener. So should you throw on that template on those stats for Kazavon making him a CR 27 creature?


7. If your players were going to use the redeemed corruption forge from Wrath of the Righteous on all of the Relics of Kazavon. Would you have Kazavon become good because of it?

8. Do you think using the redeemed corruption forge on intelligent items and artifacts is an evil thing to do?

1) You can't really "hurt" a soul, so no, they don't. A soul that's been "scraped for sin" by a runewell ends up unchanged in the Boneyard from what it would have been if it hadn't been "scraped for sin."

2) No.

3) There's lots. Azathoth is much larger than Yog-Sothoth. Yog-Sothoth is MUCH smarter than Azathoth (who is essentially mindless). Azathoth is more destructive than Yog-Sothoth. Yog-Sothoth has more plots and goals than Azathoth. If Azathoth is a nuclear explosion, then Yog-Sothoth is the scientist who figured out how to make a nuclear explosion propel a starship.

Spoiler:

4) Hhmmmm... I'd probably go with the soundtrack to Perfume and go from there.

5) No. Destroying it is FAR more complex; see page 434 of the Hardcover edition for full details.

6) No, I'd go with his stats as presented in Crimson Throne. Artifacts and Legends went with a quick, abbreviated version for those stats because there was no room to stat him up "legitimately." The stats in the hardcover are his canonical stats.

7) No, but I would say that Kazavon could never come back to life once all the parts were redeemed.

8) No.


How would you protect your tower if you where a good aligned wizard?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

TheHappyFlumph wrote:
How would you protect your tower if you where a good aligned wizard?

With all my magic spells. There's too many to choose from to explain how here. Check out any of the wizard tower adventures we've published for an example. Part three of Iron Gods comes to mind.


Which is better to hand out at Halloween: Snicker doodles or Butterfinger bars?


James Jacobs wrote:
8) NPCs with the Craft Construct feat built those constructs, using technicques and materials and methods that have been lost to time (which is why constructs have the "difficult to create" quality today).

How do you represent this in your games? Or, is the high CL, high cost, multiple feats, and so on as such with that aspect already in mind?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Isn't Nyarlathotep "more powerful" than either Yog-Sothoth or Azathoth because his manipulations and deceptions have the most direct effect on mortal life? You know, not OBJECTIVELY more powerful but more powerful TO US because Nyarlathotep actively enjoys messing with us?

Do Korvosa's house drakes have hoarding instincts like their larger cousins? Because somehow the mental image of a house drake having a little hoard of coppers and trinkets stowed in an attic lair makes them EVEN MORE adorable!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Buri Reborn wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
8) NPCs with the Craft Construct feat built those constructs, using technicques and materials and methods that have been lost to time (which is why constructs have the "difficult to create" quality today).
How do you represent this in your games? Or, is the high CL, high cost, multiple feats, and so on as such with that aspect already in mind?

By giving the NPC Craft Construct, and then just giving the NPC all the construct minions the adventure wants and not caring about how much money it would cost to build them, because that's clutter that gets in the way of good adventure writing.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:
Which is better to hand out at Halloween: Snicker doodles or Butterfinger bars?

Butterfinger bars, because it's creepy getting anything at Halloween that isn't wrapped, since you have no idea what the person giving you those super-absorbant snickerdoodles was doing with their snickerdoodle-dispersing fingers before you opened the door.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

Isn't Nyarlathotep "more powerful" than either Yog-Sothoth or Azathoth because his manipulations and deceptions have the most direct effect on mortal life? You know, not OBJECTIVELY more powerful but more powerful TO US because Nyarlathotep actively enjoys messing with us?

Do Korvosa's house drakes have hoarding instincts like their larger cousins? Because somehow the mental image of a house drake having a little hoard of coppers and trinkets stowed in an attic lair makes them EVEN MORE adorable!

All three of them are outer gods, and thus full deities, and thus don't have stats, and thus there's no way for us mortals to rank them in terms of power.

Then yes, they do.


Seen the new season of Black Mirror yet?

Dark Archive

I got into Black Mirror last year because of Erik Mona.

James,

In a fantasy historical King Maker campaign set in Gaul, Britannia and the British Isles, where Druids are the "common" priest, would a Scythe be considered a Druidic weapon?

Also, in gaming history, I know Scimitars have been consider Druid weapons since 1st Edition, why is that do you think, and if the Scimitar is not available in the campaign, what would be a more accurate real world analogue?


Are there any gods/demi-gods that are good aligned and related to magic?

What deities besides Nethys have strong followings amongst wizards and other arcane casters?


TheHappyFlumph wrote:

Are there any gods/demi-gods that are good aligned and related to magic?

What deities besides Nethys have strong followings amongst wizards and other arcane casters?

James, when you go to answer questions such as the one above, do you reference an in-house source or look to an outside source such as Pathfinder Wiki, Archives of Nethys, or another?


1. I thought before the Earthfall the elves of the Mierani Forest were subordinate to the king of Kyonyn. But The Dead Heart of Xin clearly mentioned 'kingdom of Celwynvian'. Does that mean the elves of the Mierani Forest belonged to their own nation and had no tie with the kingdom of Kyonyn? How about nowadays?

2. Telandia Edasseril is the queen of Kyonyn. Is the kingship of Kyonyn hereditary, or elective? If the former is right, does that mean House Edasseril was the royal family of Kyonyn even before the Earthfall?

3. The realm of Belimarius was called Edasseril. The Dead Heart of Xin said that the first Runelord of Envy stole the name of the elven princess of the kingdom of Celwynvian. But to me, it seems that Paizo forgot that it had already used the word Edasseril for the elven queen, and mistakenly used the word as the name of the realm of envy. And when they found out this mistake, it was already too late to change the name. So Paizo improvised a story that explain why the name of the realm of envy is as same as the surname of the elven queen. Am I right?

4. The Old Light in Sandpoint is actually a destructive weapon called the Hellfire Flume. Can a high level PC rebuild it? Or because its damage is so significant that no one today can rebuild it unless a significant amount of Thassilonian documents regarding the Hellfire Flume technology are excavated?

James Jacobs wrote:
16) No, because the direct intervention of a deity (in this case, the influence of Deskari) prevents it.

5. You said that even discern location spell cannot find out exactly where the Sword of Valor is because Deskari prevents it. But Deskari is just a demigod, not a deity. So he cannot block discern location effect, can't he?

6. Anyway, if that's true, do you think Deskari's influence affects all the Worldwound? I mean, if I cast discern location to find my companion that was lost in the Worldwound, I cannot find him because Deskari's influence prevents the discern location effect?


7. The wardstones prevent the demons from teleporting. But its description also said that they prevent other creatures' teleportation too. Does that mean I cannot get in and out of the Worldwound via greater teleport?

8. If Nocticula becomes a chaotic neutral deity, what would happen to her abyssal realm? Will the Midnight Isles and Alushinyrra be teleported to Maelstrom?

9. Nocticula seems a nice woman. Do Nocticula, Shamira, and Vellexia regard each other as best friends? Or do they secretely plot to backstab each other?

10. According to Inner Sea Gods, Iomedae's hearld is a CR 15 creature. But the corrupted herald of Iomedae became more powerful than before. I didn't even know that a god's herald can become mythic. I thought CR 15 is the highest power a herald can have. Of course there's Tarrasque, but he's an exception because his master is Rovagug. How can a mere demigod have a herald who is more powerful than that of a deity?

11. Deskari won't die because he's a demon lord. City of Locusts said that if I feel this is too anticlimactic, just rule that the closing of the Worldwound has momentarily disrupted Deskari's connection to the Rasping Rifts. Do you think closing the Worldwound is enough to sever the demon lord's tie to his abyssal realm? I mean, it seems that even those other demon lords who died in the Material Plane can simply resurrect in their abyssal realms, so even the closing of the Worldwound cannot possibly prevent the abyssal resurrection, right? It seems doesn't make sense.

12. I found an error in Inner Sea Gods. In this book, every deity has a list of boons. It's in alphabetical order: evangelist boons, exalted boons, and sentinel boons. But in Pharasma section, I found that her boons are listed in exalted, evangelist, and sentinel order. There are two possibilities. First, Paizo intended to make Preserver, Decomposition, and The Veil is Drawn Aside as the evangelist boons, but accidentally made them as exalted boons because of a typo. Second, Paizo intended to make them as exalted boons, but mistakenly put them before the evangelist boons and made me confused. Which is right?


Hey James Jacobs!

1) Who is James Jacobs?

2) What is James Jacobs?

3) Where is James Jacobs?

4) When is James Jacobs?

5) Why is James Jacobs?

6) Which is James Jacobs?

7) How is James Jacobs?


Whose brainchild is Hermea?


1 is a orcs listed lifespan (40 something) based on the average lifestyle of a orc or even with a healthy life is a orc going to die around their

2 how much do you think giant spider silk ( enough to make something with) would be worth
3 If you were any pathfinder player race other than human what would you be.
4 are their any major underwater nations on golarion.

Paizo Employee Developer

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Et cetera et cetera wrote:

Hey James Jacobs!

1) Who is James Jacobs?

2) What is James Jacobs?

3) Where is James Jacobs?

4) When is James Jacobs?

5) Why is James Jacobs?

6) Which is James Jacobs?

7) How is James Jacobs?

James, is this one of the kinds of posts in this thread that are just kinda weird and hard to answer?

Should I be glad my thread doesn't get the traffic yours does?

;)


Adam Daigle wrote:
Et cetera et cetera wrote:

Hey James Jacobs!

1) Who is James Jacobs?

2) What is James Jacobs?

3) Where is James Jacobs?

4) When is James Jacobs?

5) Why is James Jacobs?

6) Which is James Jacobs?

7) How is James Jacobs?

James, is this one of the kinds of posts in this thread that are just kinda weird and hard to answer?

Should I be glad my thread doesn't get the traffic yours does?

;)

James, do you think Adam is jealous of your thread?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Delightful wrote:
Seen the new season of Black Mirror yet?

Nope.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

baron arem heshvaun wrote:

In a fantasy historical King Maker campaign set in Gaul, Britannia and the British Isles, where Druids are the "common" priest, would a Scythe be considered a Druidic weapon?

Also, in gaming history, I know Scimitars have been consider Druid weapons since 1st Edition, why is that do you think, and if the Scimitar is not available in the campaign, what would be a more accurate real world analogue?

Scythe is a druid weapon in the game already, so if you decide to cut it from the list, let your players know before hand. I would keep it as a druid weapon in such a game. I suspect scimitars are druid weapons because they look like a crescent moon. Whatever weapons you choose for the druid in your game, just make sure you back the choices up with flavor for your game's druid mythos and traditions.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

TheHappyFlumph wrote:

Are there any gods/demi-gods that are good aligned and related to magic?

What deities besides Nethys have strong followings amongst wizards and other arcane casters?

I think that one of the elven gods would count. Beyond that, there's certainly several Empyreal Lords or demon lords or the like; check out the big table in the end of Inner Sea Gods.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kilrex wrote:
TheHappyFlumph wrote:

Are there any gods/demi-gods that are good aligned and related to magic?

What deities besides Nethys have strong followings amongst wizards and other arcane casters?

James, when you go to answer questions such as the one above, do you reference an in-house source or look to an outside source such as Pathfinder Wiki, Archives of Nethys, or another?

If I'm at work, for a question like that one I'd check Inner Sea Gods. If not, I'd either check the wiki or the Archives or, as in this case, none of the above and turned it back to the question asker to suggest places they could do research because I'm too lazy to do it for them right now. :-P

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aenigma wrote:

1. I thought before the Earthfall the elves of the Mierani Forest were subordinate to the king of Kyonyn. But The Dead Heart of Xin clearly mentioned 'kingdom of Celwynvian'. Does that mean the elves of the Mierani Forest belonged to their own nation and had no tie with the kingdom of Kyonyn? How about nowadays?

2. Telandia Edasseril is the queen of Kyonyn. Is the kingship of Kyonyn hereditary, or elective? If the former is right, does that mean House Edasseril was the royal family of Kyonyn even before the Earthfall?

3. The realm of Belimarius was called Edasseril. The Dead Heart of Xin said that the first Runelord of Envy stole the name of the elven princess of the kingdom of Celwynvian. But to me, it seems that Paizo forgot that it had already used the word Edasseril for the elven queen, and mistakenly used the word as the name of the realm of envy. And when they found out this mistake, it was already too late to change the name. So Paizo improvised a story that explain why the name of the realm of envy is as same as the surname of the elven queen. Am I right?

4. The Old Light in Sandpoint is actually a destructive weapon called the Hellfire Flume. Can a high level PC rebuild it? Or because its damage is so significant that no one today can rebuild it unless a significant amount of Thassilonian documents regarding the Hellfire Flume technology are excavated?

James Jacobs wrote:
16) No, because the direct intervention of a deity (in this case, the influence of Deskari) prevents it.

5. You said that even discern location spell cannot find out exactly where the Sword of Valor is because Deskari prevents it. But Deskari is just a demigod, not a deity. So he cannot block discern location effect, can't he?

6. Anyway, if that's true, do you think Deskari's influence affects all the Worldwound? I mean, if I cast discern location to find my companion that was lost in the Worldwound, I cannot find him because Deskari's influence prevents the discern location effect?

1) They were their own nation.

2) Unrevealed at this time.

3) If you were right or if you weren't, it still works out fine in the end. Doesn't matter.

4) Hellstorm Flume is the proper name for it. A high level PC could in theory rebuild it but doing so should be the focus of a custom built adventure.

5) Demigod counts in this case. A demigod can mess with discern location.

6) It would not affect all the Worldwound. But if Deskari wanted to mask your companion's location, he could.

65,851 to 65,900 of 77,265 << first < prev | 1313 | 1314 | 1315 | 1316 | 1317 | 1318 | 1319 | 1320 | 1321 | 1322 | 1323 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.