>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

63,051 to 63,100 of 77,829 << first < prev | 1257 | 1258 | 1259 | 1260 | 1261 | 1262 | 1263 | 1264 | 1265 | 1266 | 1267 | next > last >>

James Jacobs wrote:
My favorites to read and write about are the chaotic gods, and the gods who are a little bit rebellious and/or buck tradition to do something different. The way we have a female sun deity, for example, or deities like Desna or Milani or Nocticula or Calistria who in certain ways are rebels against the status quo and aren't perfect and make mistakes but do their best to be true to their nature anyway.

So decidedly not Pharasma XD I suppose for me its the idea of a god who is to some degree above the petty squabbles of the rest of the gods that I enjoy in Pharasma. I do like Desna though I must say :P

Quote:


AND thanks for the kind words! The amount of support that's been welling up here is very very very much appreciated! :D

you're welcome :D

Quote:


I prefer base classes, and I prefer humans or very human-similar races (elves and tieflings and half elves mostly when not playing a human) because I prefer my touchstone into the world to be well-established and familiar. I don't want the rules to distract me. I don't want the flavor to distract me. I want to focus in on my character's personality without having to keep track of new options that aren't familiar, or dealing with things like how an exotic and out-of-place character might fit into an adventure. The most interesting things to me about my characters are how they think, and how they interact and grow relatinoships with other PCs and NPCs. The exotic stuff is MUCH more interesting to me when it's on other characters, be they PCs or NPCs.

I know what you mean to some degree especially with Races I have once played a Grippli Kineticst who was apologetically a comedy water bender, but I typically stick to elf/Human/Half Elf or the occasional gnome.

Quote:


I suppose it helps that in my day job, I'm building ALL SORTS of weird exotic characters every single week, so the itch to build things like blue dragon eldritch knights or half-succubus mythic witches isn't so much there when I sit down to build a PC.

Makes sense :P on the subject of odd and Eldritch I am personally a massive fan of the Jabberwock's inclusion and the Jubjub bird, whomever is responsible for that send my love :P

Quote:


No need for separate posts for questions unless your post gets too long... but your original post is about the upper limit there! :P As a general rule, once you're over 15 to 20 sentences, time for a new post.

Ahh thanks, I love a good guideline

Quote:


No plans to do any new mythic content for Occult adventures at this time. That's an area where you'll need to either rely on house rules or 3rd party books. In fact, one of the primary reasons why we went with an open game system is because we knew we could never publish all the books customers would want, and by having open rules, there's more books and more options out there than we could ever do on our own.

fair enough, I take this as liberty to crack out my creative (not so creative) juices and give a wack at making a couple occult paths.

Hmmm Fairly sure I've formatted that wrong :/ we shall see

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
wabbitking wrote:

I have some sorcerer questions

1 will their be anymore wildblooded bloodlines for sorcerers?
2 will their be any wild/primal magic archtype for sorcerers like the one for wizards anytime soon?
3 when will their be a adventure where the villain is a awakened tyrannosaurs who goes by the alias Jaumes Jacobes(may or may not me a sorcerer)?

1) As far as I know, none are planned.

2) As far as I know, none are planned.

3) Ha! Never.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The Minis Maniac wrote:
Is there any way I can make the paizo employees feel appreciated? I do have a box of inspirational writing swag for some of the development team I am going to send. That might help but anything else?

Swag and stuff is nice, but nearly as nice as just taking a few moments to thank someone, be they a developer or author or editor or customer service rep or manager or sales rep or warehouse worker or whatever and let them know that you appreciate them! :-D

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
My favorites to read and write about are the chaotic gods, and the gods who are a little bit rebellious and/or buck tradition to do something different. The way we have a female sun deity, for example, or deities like Desna or Milani or Nocticula or Calistria who in certain ways are rebels against the status quo and aren't perfect and make mistakes but do their best to be true to their nature anyway.

So decidedly not Pharasma XD I suppose for me its the idea of a god who is to some degree above the petty squabbles of the rest of the gods that I enjoy in Pharasma. I do like Desna though I must say :P

Actually, a non-evil death deity is very much a deity that bucks tradition. So yes, Pharasma falls into that category.


James Jacobs wrote:


Actually, a non-evil death deity is very much a deity that bucks tradition. So yes, Pharasma falls into that category.

Oh yeah :3 my opinions feel validated.

As an aside, of course you guys will know whats going on with Pharasma, the death of Aroden and old moon face but I read a really interesting fan theory you might like to here on Reddit once to do with Pharasma.
It boiled down to the idea that eventually old moon face would come down to eat creation and their would be an apocalypse all of creation would collapse except for the Pharasma.
Then the cycle of the universe would start again and Pharasma simply watched it happen, hence she didn't see the future she'd simple already seen it happen (he likened it to watching a play which she'd seen so many times she knew the script)
However this time Aroden died and he wasn't supposed to, so for the first time since Pharasma watched the play she doesn't know what is going to happen and sits on her throne in the boneyard watching with rapt attention.

Also another question popped into my head, do you guys ever plan to reveal which big nasty messed with Zon-Kuthon (am I spelling that wrong >.>?). I mean the obvious theory is it was related to the out gods but I dunno I got the feels that maybe that is a bit to predictable.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
Also another question popped into my head, do you guys ever plan to reveal which big nasty messed with Zon-Kuthon (am I spelling that wrong >.>?). I mean the obvious theory is it was related to the out gods but I dunno I got the feels that maybe that is a bit to predictable.

We've already confirmed that what transformed Dou-Bral into Zon-Kuthon was NOT the Elder Mythos (AKA the Lovecraft gods); it was something else entirely. We do have sort of an idea in-house what it is (well, at least, I do!) and it's not something on the scale of Aroden's death as far as "never tell." We might reveal it some day! Not today though!


To what extent, if any, was Groetus inspired by the moon in Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Who would be the best dev to ask about the literary themes and ideas explored in Giantslayer, beyond the simmering racial tension in Trunau that's really only discussed in Battle of Bloodmarch Hill and advancing through the various tiers of giants in combat encounters?
Rob was the developer of Giantslayer.

Thanks! Some miscellaneous questions:

Do you think, with the formula the Adventure Paths tend to follow (the PCs are first level and just starting their adventuring careers) makes it difficult for an adventure path to tell a "We're getting the old team back together!" or "return from retirement" story like The Blues Brothers or Overwatch?

If I were to start my own thread for identifying weapons I find in media and figuring out what their closest Pathfinder equivalent would be, what subforum would be the best place to put it: Advice? Rules Questions? Pathfinder General Discussion?

The fact that in order to "get the team back together" implies that you were once a team to begin with, and thus had prior adventures, means that you'd likely have to be higher level than 1st AND would have had to have abandoned your previous group to go your separate ways and then have a good reason to come back together. Those are two things that the game play style of Pathfinder have trouble with, espeically since, in game, it's VERY difficult to split up a gaming group, run their characters on solo adventures or as part of other separate groups for a few sessions, and then pull them back together. That's something that works better at a GM's table rather than in a published adventure, I think. THAT SAID, I could see doing a high-level one shot adventure for 18th or 19th or 20th level that's all about getting a group of retired AP survivors back together for one more adventure... but that would need to cover some themes that lots of game groups might not be comfortable with, such as...

Thanks for the answers! Another question. Your answer to a previous question I had, you had this to say:

James Jacobs wrote:
I think folks' obsession with spell progression often cripples creativity and enjoyment of the game. For a prestige class like arcane archer, it's better to focus on the aspect or element that interests you the most for the character you're building. If you are REALLY that entranced by accessing the higher level spells sooner, don't multiclass or make sure you only prestige class into the classes that grant full spellcasting.

I think I've run into this pretty recently, and it got me wondering, why ARE people so obsessed with spell progression in the first place? People seemed genuinely shocked I was interested in taking 3 levels of a non-caster class (paladin, specifically) and then switching over to a full caster class (psychic, specifically), and I was told point-blank that the character was going to be a poor combatant and then a poor caster, and that such a character was "an exercise in self-sabotage."


Speaking of spellcasting obsession (my reasoning is that magic feels too limited at lower levels), why are people so obsessed with high level characters and planning out their full 20 lvl build before even starting lvl 1?

You could have a story like lotr and never pass lvl 4 or 5, yet everyone looks down on the lower levels, like you are naught but a bug to squashed, like they don't believe you can have an awesome game and awesome characters without high levels or even mid lvls. It makes no sense to me. What do you think is the cause of this perception?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
To what extent, if any, was Groetus inspired by the moon in Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask?

Zero. I invented Groetus in the mid ninties or thereabouts, well before that game came out.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
I think I've run into this pretty recently, and it got me wondering, why ARE people so obsessed with spell progression in the first place? People seemed genuinely shocked I was interested in taking 3 levels of a non-caster class (paladin, specifically) and then switching over to a full caster class (psychic, specifically), and I was told point-blank that the character was going to be a poor combatant and then a poor caster, and that such a character was "an exercise in self-sabotage."

My guess? Because a lot of folks get very competitive about their character builds, and if they're behind someone else in the "arms race" they think they've lost the game? Not sure.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

TheAlicornSage wrote:

Speaking of spellcasting obsession (my reasoning is that magic feels too limited at lower levels), why are people so obsessed with high level characters and planning out their full 20 lvl build before even starting lvl 1?

You could have a story like lotr and never pass lvl 4 or 5, yet everyone looks down on the lower levels, like you are naught but a bug to squashed, like they don't believe you can have an awesome game and awesome characters without high levels or even mid lvls. It makes no sense to me. What do you think is the cause of this perception?

Character building is its own little mini-game, and some folks really enjoy playing that game. I prefer to build level by level as I gain levels in play. I'll have a basic idea of where I want to go, but that can change as I go.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'll be another voice in the "good job on Hell's Rebels" symphony - the entire thing was marvelous, and there were several moments that I literally gasped aloud as I was reading through it when things started to come together. A tiny part of me wants to cancel running it as my group's next AP just so I can tell my Pathfinder-playing friends how good it is. XD And on a related note...

Breaking the Bones of Hell spoiler:
Whose idea was it to link Barzillai's Proclamations so closely with the construction of the Tower of Bone? How did it come about in development? Was it something that was planned from the beginning, something that one of the writers took and ran with, a happy accident that you guys capitalized on? If you can't answer, I completely understand, but that was probably one of the coolest parts of the AP for me.

And as an aside, I also love that you guys incorporated a non-evil death goddess into the setting - Pharasma's probably one of my favorite deities as well. I have no idea of y'all's original intentions, but in my mind I draw parallels to the Greco-Roman myths of Hades and the Fates, and anything that links to Greco-Roman mythology is ok in my book. ;)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rennaivx wrote:

I'll be another voice in the "good job on Hell's Rebels" symphony - the entire thing was marvelous, and there were several moments that I literally gasped aloud as I was reading through it when things started to come together. A tiny part of me wants to cancel running it as my group's next AP just so I can tell my Pathfinder-playing friends how good it is. XD And on a related note...

Spoiler:
Whose idea was it to link Barzillai's Proclamations so closely with the construction of the Tower of Bone? How did it come about in development? Was it something that was planned from the beginning, something that one of the writers took and ran with, a happy accident that you guys capitalized on? If you can't answer, I completely understand, but that was probably one of the coolest parts of the AP for me.

And as an aside, I also love that you guys incorporated a non-evil death goddess into the setting - Pharasma's probably one of my favorite deities as well. I have no idea of y'all's original intentions, but in my mind I draw parallels to the Greco-Roman myths of Hades and the Fates, and anything that links to Greco-Roman mythology is ok in my book. ;)

Spoiler:
Linking and mapping Barzillai's proclamations to the tower of bone was pretty much all me, but I had Crystal's and Amber's writing that inspried me to go through with that. Amber of course had all sorts of lovely torment stuff going on in the tower, and it was a pleasure to work with her words and bring all those links together. The inspiration to make that link came relatively late in the game, after I was developing part six... a good example of all the pieces falling into the right places. I'm really quite happy with how it turned out.

James Jacobs wrote:


We've already confirmed that what transformed Dou-Bral into Zon-Kuthon was NOT the Elder Mythos (AKA the Lovecraft gods); it was something else entirely. We do have sort of an idea in-house what it is (well, at least, I do!) and it's not something on the scale of Aroden's death as far as "never tell." We might reveal it some day! Not today though!

Mwahahaha my suspecion was correct

In a similar vein do you guys have an idea for someone/something that might be the origin of the Kyton, I think I read somewhere that the Kyton were the original inhabitants of Hell (am I dreaming this?) and was wondering if you guys had an idea for who was responsible.
Since it seems like a similar person could have been responsible for Zon-Kuthon

TheAlicornSage wrote:

Speaking of spellcasting obsession (my reasoning is that magic feels too limited at lower levels), why are people so obsessed with high level characters and planning out their full 20 lvl build before even starting lvl 1?

You could have a story like lotr and never pass lvl 4 or 5, yet everyone looks down on the lower levels, like you are naught but a bug to squashed, like they don't believe you can have an awesome game and awesome characters without high levels or even mid lvls. It makes no sense to me. What do you think is the cause of this perception?

Some people (myself included) get a kick out of imaging what their characters can do at the upper limits of their power scorching rays isn't really as exciting as Storm of Vengeance to some people.

Also from a practical standpoint it can be handy to know where you're going from the start so you don't end up regretting some goofy feat decision(certain feat chains, Perfect spell for example, take quite a lot of foresight). It's also good for if you level up mid session, not having to stop for an hour whilst people rifle through spell selection, which can be a real mood killer.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

For more information about the pre-infernal denizens of Hell (since Mr. Jacobs may not have seen it yet), check out the deity article on Geryon in the recently released Pathfinder Adventure Path #107: Scourge of the Godclaw.

As for a question... is there a region of the Inner Sea that, for whatever reason, will never get "its own" AP? Some of my guesses, for example:

Spoiler:
Nidal - too hard for nonevil adventurers to function under the eye of the Umbral Court, too big to topple
The River Kingdoms - too mishmashed to make for a strong plot
The Realm of the Mammoth Lords - not enough going on, not enough infrastructure
The Five Kings Mountains - too dwarven

Even those have plenty of potential, of course - the answer may still be no.

Thank you! ^_^

Liberty's Edge

James, I was wondering what would happen with the Rusty Dragon Inn and the Glassworks after the events of RotR and Jade Regent. Would Amaya come to Sandpoint take over, would Ameiko sell them to new owners or they would just close?

Dark Archive

James what would you say would happen to a mortal who wished to have all the knowledge of the Original Book of the Damned perfectly memorised in their head?


1)So what movies have you seen lately?

2)Are you interested in the Godzilla Resurgence movie?

3)Did you see the E3 vid about the Call of Cthulhu game?

4)Did you hear they are still doing Pacific Rim 2(2018)?

5)Watched any new TV shows lately?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:


We've already confirmed that what transformed Dou-Bral into Zon-Kuthon was NOT the Elder Mythos (AKA the Lovecraft gods); it was something else entirely. We do have sort of an idea in-house what it is (well, at least, I do!) and it's not something on the scale of Aroden's death as far as "never tell." We might reveal it some day! Not today though!

Mwahahaha my suspecion was correct

In a similar vein do you guys have an idea for someone/something that might be the origin of the Kyton, I think I read somewhere that the Kyton were the original inhabitants of Hell (am I dreaming this?) and was wondering if you guys had an idea for who was responsible.
Since it seems like a similar person could have been responsible for Zon-Kuthon

TheAlicornSage wrote:

Speaking of spellcasting obsession (my reasoning is that magic feels too limited at lower levels), why are people so obsessed with high level characters and planning out their full 20 lvl build before even starting lvl 1?

You could have a story like lotr and never pass lvl 4 or 5, yet everyone looks down on the lower levels, like you are naught but a bug to squashed, like they don't believe you can have an awesome game and awesome characters without high levels or even mid lvls. It makes no sense to me. What do you think is the cause of this perception?

Some people (myself included) get a kick out of imaging what their characters can do at the upper limits of their power scorching rays isn't really as exciting as Storm of Vengeance to some people.

Also from a practical standpoint it can be handy to know where you're going from the start so you don't end up regretting some goofy feat decision(certain feat chains, Perfect spell for example, take quite a lot of foresight). It's also good for if you level up mid session, not having to stop for an hour whilst people rifle through spell selection, which can be a real mood killer.

I'm not sure we've quite yet nailed down where kytons are from. They certainly exist in Hell, but I'm not 100% sure that's where they started.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kalindlara wrote:

For more information about the pre-infernal denizens of Hell (since Mr. Jacobs may not have seen it yet), check out the deity article on Geryon in the recently released Pathfinder Adventure Path #107: Scourge of the Godclaw.

As for a question... is there a region of the Inner Sea that, for whatever reason, will never get "its own" AP? Some of my guesses, for example:

** spoiler omitted **

Even those have plenty of potential, of course - the answer may still be no.

Thank you! ^_^

Nope. All of the Inner Sea regions could potentially some day host an AP. That's why we put them there, after all!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Paladinosaur wrote:
James, I was wondering what would happen with the Rusty Dragon Inn and the Glassworks after the events of RotR and Jade Regent. Would Amaya come to Sandpoint take over, would Ameiko sell them to new owners or they would just close?

That's mostly left, at this point, to each GM. If we ever do something canonical with that event, though, the Rusty Dragon would remain in the hands of her halfing employee, who'd take over in Ameiko's stead. Amaya's got her hands busy in Westcrown more or less, but she could be a good person to take over too. As could a new PC to the region.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ulgulanoth wrote:
James what would you say would happen to a mortal who wished to have all the knowledge of the Original Book of the Damned perfectly memorised in their head?

Something bad that would result in a campaign plot line of some sort. Something involving said mortal becoming possessed by a powerful fiend and going about a bad guy plan in the Material Plane.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dragon78 wrote:

1)So what movies have you seen lately?

2)Are you interested in the Godzilla Resurgence movie?

3)Did you see the E3 vid about the Call of Cthulhu game?

4)Did you hear they are still doing Pacific Rim 2(2018)?

5)Watched any new TV shows lately?

1) Conjuring 2, which was okay but pretty disappointing overall.

That's mostly it of late. Been pretty busy at work and was on vacation for several days, and the rest of my viewing time has pretty much been 100% dominated by watching all 104 or so episodes of "Person of Interest" which was INCREDIBLE and had the absolute best ever end to a TV series I've seen. Can't recommend that show highly enough!

2) Of course I am! Can't wait to see it!

3) I did.

4) I did. I've only seen Pacific Rim once and was disappointed and underwhelmed by it. I think because I saw it in 3D which already doesn't work well for someone with glasses, but further, saw it in a theater that underprojected it so it was super dark and hard to make out what was going on as a result of the combination of 3D (which ironically makes it HARDER to watch action scenes) and dim projection. I should watch it again, I guess.

5) Oh! Yup! See #1 above. Also, the end of this season of Game of Thrones was incredible!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Oh cool, so you liked PoI too?

I've only seen the first season but what I did see I really like :3

Um question... question... What would you put as the main characters' alignments?


James Jacobs wrote:


I'm not sure we've quite yet nailed down where kytons are from. They certainly exist in Hell, but I'm not 100% sure that's where they started.

So maybe some spooky place beyond the shadows where Zon-Kuthon was made :O :O :O :O Lol

If you were a Wizard what would be your school of choice?
EDIT: Oh since we're on the subject if you could pick a Sorc bloodline or a Oracle mystery which would you pick :)


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook Subscriber

Where would a wizard train in Sargava? The Colonial Archives is listed as the only seat of learning in Eleder. Are a private apprenticeship or studying in Nantambu the main options for arcane scholarship in the country?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Do you think part of the reason the elves who would later found the Jinin Shogunate took to the samurai way of life so well is because fundamentally, both martial traditions are based around armies comprised of excellent individual warriors who might decide the victor of a battle through a duel, as opposed to masses of quickly-trained grunts in formation where fights are basically glorified shoving-matches?

Part of me likes the idea that the individualistic approach to warfare elves seem to favor could translate into both Chaotic AND Lawful mentalities...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:

Oh cool, so you liked PoI too?

I've only seen the first season but what I did see I really like :3

Um question... question... What would you put as the main characters' alignments?

First season is good... but it utterly pales in comparasion to the rest of the show. Keep watching!

And I can't even mention who the main characters are without spoiling things if you've only seen one season! :P

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:


If you were a Wizard what would be your school of choice?
EDIT: Oh since we're on the subject if you could pick a Sorc bloodline or a Oracle mystery which would you pick :)

Transmutation.

Celestial, probably. Maybe one of the nature-themed ones.

Waves.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Joana wrote:
Where would a wizard train in Sargava? The Colonial Archives is listed as the only seat of learning in Eleder. Are a private apprenticeship or studying in Nantambu the main options for arcane scholarship in the country?

Not sure off the top of my head. I haven't thought much at all about Sargava since Serpent's Skull years ago. There's plenty of smaller schools or single wizards to study under there though...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

Do you think part of the reason the elves who would later found the Jinin Shogunate took to the samurai way of life so well is because fundamentally, both martial traditions are based around armies comprised of excellent individual warriors who might decide the victor of a battle through a duel, as opposed to masses of quickly-trained grunts in formation where fights are basically glorified shoving-matches?

Part of me likes the idea that the individualistic approach to warfare elves seem to favor could translate into both Chaotic AND Lawful mentalities...

Perhaps, I suppose.

The main 2 reasons I went with elves there is because I wanted another touchstone race from the Inner Sea to have a stronger presence and I like elves more than the rest, and also because I wanted to explore the idea of a lawful elven society.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

Do you think part of the reason the elves who would later found the Jinin Shogunate took to the samurai way of life so well is because fundamentally, both martial traditions are based around armies comprised of excellent individual warriors who might decide the victor of a battle through a duel, as opposed to masses of quickly-trained grunts in formation where fights are basically glorified shoving-matches?

Part of me likes the idea that the individualistic approach to warfare elves seem to favor could translate into both Chaotic AND Lawful mentalities...

Perhaps, I suppose.

The main 2 reasons I went with elves there is because I wanted another touchstone race from the Inner Sea to have a stronger presence and I like elves more than the rest, and also because I wanted to explore the idea of a lawful elven society.

And I personally think, even though it was only a small exploration, it was awesome, and I thank you for it! Jinin's probably my second favorite Dragon Empires nation! (Minkai's naturally number 1! :P )

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:


Been pretty busy at work and was on vacation for several days, and the rest of my viewing time has pretty much been 100% dominated by watching all 104 or so episodes of "Person of Interest" which was INCREDIBLE and had the absolute best ever end to a TV series I've seen. Can't recommend that show highly enough!

Can you please summarize the end of the TV serie with a spoiler tag?

good show, but...:
(I watched and loved season 1 and 2, but dropped out of warp when the machine was talking in the lady's ear... and then kept somehow talking after she was deaf... meh; my wife also kept complaining on how John was 'always' at the right time and at the right place 'just seconds' before someone's time was up... at first I dismissed such details as unimportant, but now that she had pointed that out, I could not help notice how he always saved the day, every-single-time... no reasons on the how where why given...)

Hi James and Happy 4th of July!

I am going to be starting a hell's rebels game soon and i would like your input on something. I have 3 players one is a fighter one a slayer and one an arcanist. As a forth I was planing to have Rexus join the party. He seems like a cool character and would fit well with my players, however I was thinking of rebuilding him as a bard. Given we already have a full arcane caster in the group. I like to keep the party balanced and don't want an NPC to step on any of the PCs toes as it were. his stats as written would transfer nicely. and as far as story goes...

Spoiler:
I figured since his tutor when he was a kid was a shelynite and after he became male his new friends included musicians and he is studying at alabaster academy it seamed like a decent fit. also as there is no real healer in the party i was thinking of giving him the arcane healer archetype. given his health and how he has to take special alchemical elixirs to remain relatively healthy it kinda makes sense to me that he would be studying magic healing at what used to be a school for physical and medical sciences.

just wondering if you think that that would work for the character or if you would have any other viable ideas or input.

as allways thanks for taking the time to answer all of our random questions :)


James Jacobs wrote:
Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:


1) Nope. Never was. We looked at the 100th volume of Pathfinder as the big milestone; not so much a "10th AP" really. And alas, the reception volume #100 got was kind of lukewarm overall, which was disappointing...
One person may not make much of a difference, but I loved Pathfinder #100, and I subscribed at the beginning of Hell's Rebels in no small part because I wanted to get #100.
One person very much DOES make a difference. Thanks! :D

I thought Pathfinder #100 was awesome too! my favorite part about it so far is all the new NPCs for all the previous adventure paths. i love how they even have tie ins to other paths too like Garavel in legacy of fire ( the first AP from paizo that i ran) can show up in iron gods. that is super creative and ingenious really. im going to be running a serpent skull game in the near future and will totally use Sheko-maru and Malin the Prophet in it. the other thing i really liked was the printed encounter map in the back. i would love to see this more in the APs but thought it was a nice touch that it was included. i love the work everyone a paizo does and cant wait to see whats upcoming and what pathfinder #200 has in store for us. i'm sure what ever it is it will be awesome!

now to keep this post legal the question. how often do you personally get to play through the APs? do you prefer to Play or GM? and which AP has been you favorite to play? (im sure you like them all heck so do i but my favorite so far is Wrath of the righteous, which usurped the title from another little adventure you did many moons ago with a rebellious band of dragon loving hobgoblins! have played/ran that one about 5 times lol)


I recently got both the Plot Twist deck and Flashback deck. How would you recommend using both decks in a game- combining them and drawing like normal or keeping the decks separate and allowing a draw from each to effectively give twice the number of cards?


01010111 01101000 01100101 01101110 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01110111 01100101 00100000 01100101 01111000 01110000 01100101 01100011 01110100 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01010000 01100001 01110100 01101000 01100110 01101001 01101110 01100100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110100 01110010 01100001 01101110 01110011 01101100 01100001 01110100 01100101 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00111111 00100000

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
D0R1T0.2 wrote:
01010111 01101000 01100101 01101110 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01110111 01100101 00100000 01100101 01111000 01110000 01100101 01100011 01110100 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01010000 01100001 01110100 01101000 01100110 01101001 01101110 01100100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110100 01110010 01100001 01101110 01110011 01101100 01100001 01110100 01100101 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00111111 00100000

Translated:
When can we expect to see Pathfinder translated to binary?
Paizo Employee Creative Director

Purple Dragon Knight wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:


Been pretty busy at work and was on vacation for several days, and the rest of my viewing time has pretty much been 100% dominated by watching all 104 or so episodes of "Person of Interest" which was INCREDIBLE and had the absolute best ever end to a TV series I've seen. Can't recommend that show highly enough!
Can you please summarize the end of the TV serie with a spoiler tag? ** spoiler omitted **

I'd rather not. I'm not a fan of arguing over whether a show is good or not. Doesn't sound like you'd like the rest of the show anyway. That's fine. We don't all have to like the same things!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Alundrell wrote:

Hi James and Happy 4th of July!

I am going to be starting a hell's rebels game soon and i would like your input on something. I have 3 players one is a fighter one a slayer and one an arcanist. As a forth I was planing to have Rexus join the party. He seems like a cool character and would fit well with my players, however I was thinking of rebuilding him as a bard. Given we already have a full arcane caster in the group. I like to keep the party balanced and don't want an NPC to step on any of the PCs toes as it were. his stats as written would transfer nicely. and as far as story goes...

Spoiler:
I figured since his tutor when he was a kid was a shelynite and after he became male his new friends included musicians and he is studying at alabaster academy it seamed like a decent fit. also as there is no real healer in the party i was thinking of giving him the arcane healer archetype. given his health and how he has to take special alchemical elixirs to remain relatively healthy it kinda makes sense to me that he would be studying magic healing at what used to be a school for physical and medical sciences.

just wondering if you think that that would work for the character or if you would have any other viable ideas or input.

as allways thanks for taking the time to answer all of our random questions :)

That sounds fine—if it works for your game, that's all that matters!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Alundrell wrote:
now to keep this post legal the question. how often do you personally get to play through the APs? do you prefer to Play or GM? and which AP has been you favorite to play? (im sure you like them all heck so do i but my favorite so far is Wrath of the righteous, which usurped the title from another little adventure you did many moons ago with a rebellious band of dragon loving hobgoblins! have played/ran that one about 5 times lol)

I'm currently playing in Hell's Vengeance (currently midway through book 1) and Mummy's Mask (2/3 the way through book 2). I played Skull & Shackles but we TPK'd midway through book 2. I ran Savage tide from start to end. I ran Serpent's Skull from start to about 3/4 the way through book 4 before the game fell apart due to me not having time to run it.

In all, I generally play about 6 to 8 hours a week, split between two after-work sessions.

I prefer a mix. I'm currently playing in two games and running two; that seems to work well for me!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Calex wrote:
I recently got both the Plot Twist deck and Flashback deck. How would you recommend using both decks in a game- combining them and drawing like normal or keeping the decks separate and allowing a draw from each to effectively give twice the number of cards?

Combine them and draw them like normal. That's what I do.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
D0R1T0.2 wrote:
01010111 01101000 01100101 01101110 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01110111 01100101 00100000 01100101 01111000 01110000 01100101 01100011 01110100 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01010000 01100001 01110100 01101000 01100110 01101001 01101110 01100100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110100 01110010 01100001 01101110 01110011 01101100 01100001 01110100 01100101 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00111111 00100000
** spoiler omitted **

Never, if you're waiting for me to do it.


I may be getting a chance to play my Kineticit water Grippli again. He's supposed to be kinda' goofie and I was thinking of giving him a kind of taking the lords name in vein type line, you know like the old sort of bubbling oh in the name of X type guy.

I was thinking maybe Ragadahn since he's a water Kineticist but he's not supposed to have a huge amount of knowledge on outer beings, I was wondering if a Gripple could be reasonably expected to know about the Eldest or if they have some more obvious pantheons they're into >.>.

Maybe he'll say Ragadarn it.


Happy Fourth of July, everyone!

Even if you're not a U.S. citizen, have an awesome day!

Do you have any awesome plans, James? :D


Hey James, what countries might have something like a big gladiatorial arena?

I don't mean like the Serpent's Run in Magnimar, where contestants go to win glory, I mean the sort of thing where slaves are forced to fight monsters for their survival and the amusement of the audience.

I know there's the Battlebliss in the Midnight Isles, but would Cheliax have something like that? Nidal? The Holds of Belkzen? Irrisen?

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Purple Dragon Knight wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:


Been pretty busy at work and was on vacation for several days, and the rest of my viewing time has pretty much been 100% dominated by watching all 104 or so episodes of "Person of Interest" which was INCREDIBLE and had the absolute best ever end to a TV series I've seen. Can't recommend that show highly enough!
Can you please summarize the end of the TV serie with a spoiler tag? ** spoiler omitted **
I'd rather not. I'm not a fan of arguing over whether a show is good or not. Doesn't sound like you'd like the rest of the show anyway. That's fine. We don't all have to like the same things!

...well played Sir, well played! (now I have to go watch the end somehow... :P)

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

What'd be the cooler weapon for a tiefling monk in Cheliax, a seven-branched sword or a katana?


Outside of Part 4 of WotR, is there anywhere that The Midnight Isles might have more detailed writeups?

63,051 to 63,100 of 77,829 << first < prev | 1257 | 1258 | 1259 | 1260 | 1261 | 1262 | 1263 | 1264 | 1265 | 1266 | 1267 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.