>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

56,351 to 56,400 of 77,070 << first < prev | 1123 | 1124 | 1125 | 1126 | 1127 | 1128 | 1129 | 1130 | 1131 | 1132 | 1133 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Is your parents' house DUNGEONPROOOOF?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!


All of the Psychopomps basically work for Pharasma, right? Is she their boss?

Scarab Sages

Hi James,

My group is beginning a Mummy's Mask campaign next, with me running. I'm using the AP's storyline as the backbone for them being able to play more sandbox (ha!) style through a lot of the rest of Osirion. Idea is for it to run something akin to the old Bioware games, where there are quests and place to find scattered across the entire map. I've got a map drawn for the party to scale on one of those 2x3 poster grids (15 miles per square), with the terrain and cities, on which they can fill in detail as they explore. So I've been reading very intently through all of the materials on Osirion (and there are a lot, it's fantastic!)

Two questions about places:

1. What are the "Swells of Gozreh" north of the mouth of the Sphinx River? I can't find anything on them.

2. On the very very western edge of our map, the Cathedral of Claws makes an appearance. The only reference I can find to it says something along the lines of: it is a mystery even to Thuvians, not even Water lords go there. Is there any additional snippets of info for the place? I was thinking of using Frog God's Black Monastery module reskinned if only because Monastery and Cathedral are similar concepts.

Thanks!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Is your parents' house DUNGEONPROOOOF?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm sure it is.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Axial wrote:
All of the Psychopomps basically work for Pharasma, right? Is she their boss?

Pretty much, yes.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Duiker wrote:

Hi James,

My group is beginning a Mummy's Mask campaign next, with me running. I'm using the AP's storyline as the backbone for them being able to play more sandbox (ha!) style through a lot of the rest of Osirion. Idea is for it to run something akin to the old Bioware games, where there are quests and place to find scattered across the entire map. I've got a map drawn for the party to scale on one of those 2x3 poster grids (15 miles per square), with the terrain and cities, on which they can fill in detail as they explore. So I've been reading very intently through all of the materials on Osirion (and there are a lot, it's fantastic!)

Two questions about places:

1. What are the "Swells of Gozreh" north of the mouth of the Sphinx River? I can't find anything on them.

2. On the very very western edge of our map, the Cathedral of Claws makes an appearance. The only reference I can find to it says something along the lines of: it is a mystery even to Thuvians, not even Water lords go there. Is there any additional snippets of info for the place? I was thinking of using Frog God's Black Monastery module reskinned if only because Monastery and Cathedral are similar concepts.

Thanks!

These are great questions for Rob. I developed part 5 of Mummy's Mask, but he did the rest and built the outline and is running it; he knows a LOT more about it than I do.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Does hardness work against channel energy? Since hardness is effectively physical/energy resistance, and channel is positive/negative energy?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Samy wrote:
Does hardness work against channel energy? Since hardness is effectively physical/energy resistance, and channel is positive/negative energy?

In most cases, it'll never matter, since channeled energy can only affect living or undead targets. Objects and constructs, the things that have hardness, are neither living nor undead. If there were a weird case of a living or undead creature gaining hardness, then yes, it would affect the damage caused by channeled energy in the same way hardness affects ALL damage. It would not affect healing energy.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I was thinking Iron Priest channeling vs robots which usually have hardness.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Samy wrote:
I was thinking Iron Priest channeling vs robots which usually have hardness.

Then yup. Hardness counts.


James Jacobs wrote:
Samy wrote:
I was thinking Iron Priest channeling vs robots which usually have hardness.
Then yup. Hardness counts.

What if you have an adamantine holy symbol? *grin*

Okay, I need to stop. I'm gonna have you thinking I'm some kind of dirty munchkin. I swear this is just devil's advocate stuff.

I've found my players think Mikmek in Kingmaker is flat-out awesome, and want him to join them adventuring (they're one member short and I told them if they meet an NPC they like they can diplomacy them into joining). What class do you think would reflect him well?


1)What do you think of a "religious adventures" type of Hardcover book that had Unchained Classes of the Cleric, Druid, Inquisitor, Warpriest, Paladin and imagined Domains & Subdomains?

2)Would you want to see a Unchained Cleric?

3)What do you think of a "Arcane adventures" type of Hardcover book that had Unchained Classes of the Wizard, Magus, Arcanist, Bard?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
T.A.U. wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

Hmm. I suppose the rules as written would allow that... but...

I still wouldn't allow it in my games, since it's kinda nonsensical for a cleric of urban things to be a barbarian.

And in reply, I'll just say "you can't be a cleric of Desna/monk, for example.

Pedantry aside, my point stands.

Would a True Neutral Abadar Cleric who multiclass into Urban Barbarian be a borderline case?
Nope. Still nonsensical in my opinion.

But if someone came up to me with this, as a PFS Judge, do I still have to grit my teeth, and let it pass, since RAW allows it?


Is there anywhere where I can get more info on Faerie Dragons?

Specifically I'm looking find know how old they get. In the flavor text it mentions that their scales change colors as they age making their way through the rainbow (starting with red and ending with deep violet).

Its been running gag in our kingmaker campaign for about a year that fey and fey-like creatures have a horrible sense of time after one of the characters adopted Perlivash as his familiar and when asked how old he was cutely replied, "Awhile".


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Hi James,

I'm running a game for a bunch of new players. One of them chose to be an inquisitor of Desna, mostly based on the abilities it gave her since they know very little of the lore of Golarion. Now that we're into the game a little bit and everyone's starting to explore their characters, she's trying to figure out what role an inquisitor of Desna plays in the world.

I don't want to tell her how she should play her character (she's also a gnome, and is playing that part perfectly), but she's asked me for advice, and I'm a little stumped, too. Desna doesn't seem like the kind of god who'd have much of an inquisition...

The best I can come up with is that they might focus on Desna's enemies, aiming to seek out and destroy creatures devoted to Ghlaunder and Lamashtu... which pretty much means "kill all monsters." Does this sound right? Are there any other causes that an inquisitor of Desna might commit themselves to? I'd hugely appreciate some ideas so that I can inject things into the campaign that she can latch on to.

Thanks in advance for your reply!


So one of my players is talking about burning her apartment down to cover up the evidence of an illegal execution and wants to know how liable he would be in a monetary standpoint. It's a midrange apartment suite in Magnimar, specifically Lowcleft. If he burned the room badly enough to have to be totally refurbished, how much money would he owe the landlord? I'm thinking maybe 1000, 2000 for damages?

Dark Archive

So I've noticed that people keep asking you about minituares, even though I don't think you are in charge of miniature line(sorry if I'm wrong X-x; I don't know much about these things)? Who we should actually direct the miniature related questions to?

Also, in same vein, I have problem with PFS session report stuff(seems like someone(I don't know who) accidentally wrote their number wrong, so my character got their gm exp), I sent email to support months ago but haven't gotten answer and I created a thread but that hasn't gotten replies it seems. Who I should ask about PFS session mistake shenanigans?

In (probably) less boring questions, sorry if I or someone else asked this already, how strong Black Magga was at her prime cr wise?

How would you involve aboleths directly(aka having fight agaisnt one instead of them just being behind the scenes masterminds) in campaign without moving them from ocean to lake or some other locations where pcs have easier access?

Hmm, would upcoming Vigilante class possibly allow for serial killer villain who is harder to identify than usual?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Dear James,

In your fight against Indominus Rex, do you think the GM fudged the dice in your favor?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Why do some people in the world feel it's their responsibility or even duty to police the behavior of others? Why is how other people act so important to them?


So, James, how did you feel about Jurassic World?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

And on a semi-related note, have you seen the latest "Manly Guys Doing Manly Things" comic? It's got velociraptors in it! Adorable fluffy little toothbird velociraptors!


How does the older faith of Anubis influence or relate to current worship of Pharasma in Osirion, given that they've got such similar outlooks?

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Will we ever see an AP where the various goblinoid races are prominent?


How would other deities react to a god living openly among mortals?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
thegreenteagamer wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Samy wrote:
I was thinking Iron Priest channeling vs robots which usually have hardness.
Then yup. Hardness counts.

What if you have an adamantine holy symbol? *grin*

Okay, I need to stop. I'm gonna have you thinking I'm some kind of dirty munchkin. I swear this is just devil's advocate stuff.

I've found my players think Mikmek in Kingmaker is flat-out awesome, and want him to join them adventuring (they're one member short and I told them if they meet an NPC they like they can diplomacy them into joining). What class do you think would reflect him well?

It's been years and years since I've thought about Mikmek. If he doesn't already have any class levels to stick to, he should pick one of the PCs... whichever PC is the most take with him, ideally... and do some hero/heroine worship and take THAT character's class.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
xavier c wrote:

1)What do you think of a "religious adventures" type of Hardcover book that had Unchained Classes of the Cleric, Druid, Inquisitor, Warpriest, Paladin and imagined Domains & Subdomains?

2)Would you want to see a Unchained Cleric?

3)What do you think of a "Arcane adventures" type of Hardcover book that had Unchained Classes of the Wizard, Magus, Arcanist, Bard?

1) I think we just published that book last year, "Inner Sea Gods." I'm MUCH more interested in world content than yet another big book of player character toys, frankly.

2) No.

3) Meh. See #1 above.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
T.A.U. wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

Hmm. I suppose the rules as written would allow that... but...

I still wouldn't allow it in my games, since it's kinda nonsensical for a cleric of urban things to be a barbarian.

And in reply, I'll just say "you can't be a cleric of Desna/monk, for example.

Pedantry aside, my point stands.

Would a True Neutral Abadar Cleric who multiclass into Urban Barbarian be a borderline case?
Nope. Still nonsensical in my opinion.
But if someone came up to me with this, as a PFS Judge, do I still have to grit my teeth, and let it pass, since RAW allows it?

You do, unfortunately. Just take solace in the fact, I guess, that it'll all be over in a few hours.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

pipedreamsam wrote:

Is there anywhere where I can get more info on Faerie Dragons?

Specifically I'm looking find know how old they get. In the flavor text it mentions that their scales change colors as they age making their way through the rainbow (starting with red and ending with deep violet).

Its been running gag in our kingmaker campaign for about a year that fey and fey-like creatures have a horrible sense of time after one of the characters adopted Perlivash as his familiar and when asked how old he was cutely replied, "Awhile".

There are some 3rd party books about faerie dragons, I believe, but we've not done much with them beyond what we've said in Bestiary 3 so far.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
shadram wrote:

Hi James,

I'm running a game for a bunch of new players. One of them chose to be an inquisitor of Desna, mostly based on the abilities it gave her since they know very little of the lore of Golarion. Now that we're into the game a little bit and everyone's starting to explore their characters, she's trying to figure out what role an inquisitor of Desna plays in the world.

I don't want to tell her how she should play her character (she's also a gnome, and is playing that part perfectly), but she's asked me for advice, and I'm a little stumped, too. Desna doesn't seem like the kind of god who'd have much of an inquisition...

The best I can come up with is that they might focus on Desna's enemies, aiming to seek out and destroy creatures devoted to Ghlaunder and Lamashtu... which pretty much means "kill all monsters." Does this sound right? Are there any other causes that an inquisitor of Desna might commit themselves to? I'd hugely appreciate some ideas so that I can inject things into the campaign that she can latch on to.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

An inquisitor of Desna would be all about seeking out things like Lovecraftian intruders or aliens invading society to defeat them, but also to stand against lawful evil organizations and oppression; they'd be all about opposing Cheliax or Razmiran or Nidal, for example. Desna wouldn't have a large inquisition element in her church, and those who decided to do so would likely be very self-motivated. Opposing the minions of Ghlaunder and Lamashtu works as well, of course.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

SirCasimir wrote:
So one of my players is talking about burning her apartment down to cover up the evidence of an illegal execution and wants to know how liable he would be in a monetary standpoint. It's a midrange apartment suite in Magnimar, specifically Lowcleft. If he burned the room badly enough to have to be totally refurbished, how much money would he owe the landlord? I'm thinking maybe 1000, 2000 for damages?

I hope it's one of your player's CHARACTERS talking about this, and not a player.

The landlord would likely try to take the PC for whatever he could get in this case... or might just go after the player character with the city guards or whomever to take them away for committing arson...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

CorvusMask wrote:

So I've noticed that people keep asking you about minituares, even though I don't think you are in charge of miniature line(sorry if I'm wrong X-x; I don't know much about these things)? Who we should actually direct the miniature related questions to?

Also, in same vein, I have problem with PFS session report stuff(seems like someone(I don't know who) accidentally wrote their number wrong, so my character got their gm exp), I sent email to support months ago but haven't gotten answer and I created a thread but that hasn't gotten replies it seems. Who I should ask about PFS session mistake shenanigans?

In (probably) less boring questions, sorry if I or someone else asked this already, how strong Black Magga was at her prime cr wise?

How would you involve aboleths directly(aka having fight agaisnt one instead of them just being behind the scenes masterminds) in campaign without moving them from ocean to lake or some other locations where pcs have easier access?

Hmm, would upcoming Vigilante class possibly allow for serial killer villain who is harder to identify than usual?

Erik Mona's the one to ask about minis.

Mike Brock would be the one to ask about PFS stuff.

Black Magga's previous power level has not been something we've nailed down.

I would take advantage of the opportunity to run an aquatic campaign if I wanted to do aboleths as a primary enemy.

Perhaps!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Darklord Morius wrote:

Dear James,

In your fight against Indominus Rex, do you think the GM fudged the dice in your favor?

Psh.

No.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Why do some people in the world feel it's their responsibility or even duty to police the behavior of others? Why is how other people act so important to them?

Some people are just that way.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rosita the Riveter wrote:
So, James, how did you feel about Jurassic World?

I went in with VERY low expectations and enjoyed it. But I also felt it was the least of the four movies; they pretty much go in order in order of quality in my opinion.

I did enjoy Jurassic World, but it is unlikely to be a movie I see more than once. I've seen the others all more than once. And in Jurassic Park's case, dozens of times.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
And on a semi-related note, have you seen the latest "Manly Guys Doing Manly Things" comic? It's got velociraptors in it! Adorable fluffy little toothbird velociraptors!

I have not. Never heard of it, and with a title like that, I'm not too interested in checking it out.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Handaxe Beak wrote:
How does the older faith of Anubis influence or relate to current worship of Pharasma in Osirion, given that they've got such similar outlooks?

As a subservient faith that's mostly left to do its own thing. I've always seen Anubis as one of Pharasma's best minions. In any event... Pharasma and her faith have been around a LOT LOT LOT longer than Anubis has.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aberzombie wrote:
Will we ever see an AP where the various goblinoid races are prominent?

Probably not, since the idea of goblinoid remaining a threat up to 16th level or so isn't really what Golarion is about. I suppose there could be a big bad end guy who was a hobgoblin or something someday, but fighting goblinoid all the way through? I highly doubt it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:
How would other deities react to a god living openly among mortals?

Depends entirely what that god did. And how can you be sure that situation isn't already in play? Gods are pretty good at keeping secrets from us.


James Jacobs wrote:
Handaxe Beak wrote:
How does the older faith of Anubis influence or relate to current worship of Pharasma in Osirion, given that they've got such similar outlooks?
As a subservient faith that's mostly left to do its own thing. I've always seen Anubis as one of Pharasma's best minions. In any event... Pharasma and her faith have been around a LOT LOT LOT longer than Anubis has.

Could someone be, for example, a cleric of Anubis and an inquisitor of Pharasma at the same time? If so, would they be accepted by their church(es)?


James Jacobs wrote:
xavier c wrote:
How would other deities react to a god living openly among mortals?
Depends entirely what that god did. And how can you be sure that situation isn't already in play? Gods are pretty good at keeping secrets from us.

Why of course! One walks among us this very day! The Living God Razmir is all the evidence you need for your question! (Glory unto him!)

For James: Why does your puny bug goddess with a starlit twinkle in her eye keep attacking our priests! It's rude I say!


James Jacobs wrote:
xavier c wrote:
How would other deities react to a god living openly among mortals?
Depends entirely what that god did. And how can you be sure that situation isn't already in play? Gods are pretty good at keeping secrets from us.

1)What would happen if every one was aware that such a person was a god?(This question is in setting)

2)What if this deity was the king/queen of a Nation?

Dark Archive

James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
And on a semi-related note, have you seen the latest "Manly Guys Doing Manly Things" comic? It's got velociraptors in it! Adorable fluffy little toothbird velociraptors!
I have not. Never heard of it, and with a title like that, I'm not too interested in checking it out.

I don't read it myself, since too many webcomics in existence to read them all, but I did check it few times and it seems to be mostly about mocking uber macho-ness. So author is probably against same masculinity tropes you dislike, at least she seems to be from few strips I have read. Dunno if that makes it more interesting for you though, but what author seems to consider to be truly manly isn't the toxic masculine testosterone poisoning thing. For example, I remember reading a strip that was about good parenting.

...Dang, I got sidetracked so much I almost forgot what I wanted to ask..

So I'm bit curious about why Lost Cities of Golarion details Xin Shalast after events of RotR ._. I don't remember any other campaign setting book detailing a location after AP, why is that an exception to the "Books always assume APs didn't happen yet" rule?

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Have there been cases of nations going bankrupt on Golarion, and what happened to them then?

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
CorvusMask wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
And on a semi-related note, have you seen the latest "Manly Guys Doing Manly Things" comic? It's got velociraptors in it! Adorable fluffy little toothbird velociraptors!
I have not. Never heard of it, and with a title like that, I'm not too interested in checking it out.
I don't read it myself, since too many webcomics in existence to read them all, but I did check it few times and it seems to be mostly about mocking uber macho-ness. So author is probably against same masculinity tropes you dislike, at least she seems to be from few strips I have read. Dunno if that makes it more interesting for you though, but what author seems to consider to be truly manly isn't the toxic masculine testosterone poisoning thing. For example, I remember reading a strip that was about good parenting.

As someone who's read the entire run, I would also recommend giving it a try for the above reasons. If you have the time, of course.

...

IOU one question. I had one I wanted to ask, but it's slipping my memory. ^_^


James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
And on a semi-related note, have you seen the latest "Manly Guys Doing Manly Things" comic? It's got velociraptors in it! Adorable fluffy little toothbird velociraptors!
I have not. Never heard of it, and with a title like that, I'm not too interested in checking it out.

You really should check it out. It's largely a satire about hyper macho characters. It's fantastic.

Question time.

I asked the question about the god of a setting turning out to be evil. In a similar vein, but to a lesser extent, what do you think of a campaign focused around discovering a renown hero is actually evil?


With all of these new classes since the release of the last NPC Codex, and the fact that we've have so many monster books in years recent. Do you think we'll be seeing another big book of NPC stats anytime soon?


James,
My character, a devout worshipper of Desna, is having a

ring of the ecclesiarch:

RING OF THE ECCLESIARCH
Price 28,500 gp; Aura faint enchantment; CL 5th; Weight —
This ornate ring of sanctified silver is engraved with a golden signet that incorporates the holy symbol of the wearer's deity after being worn for 24 hours. The ring can be used to seal parchments or to mark any surface as the arcane mark spell at will. The wearer is marked as a scholarly leader of the faith and gains a +5 competence bonus on Diplomacy and Knowledge (religion) checks. If the wearer has the Leadership feat, she may attract double the normal number of followers, and her followers' zealous devotion grants them a +4 morale bonus on Will saves against enchantment spells and effects.
Once per day, the wearer of the ring can use prayer and enter image , often using the latter power to speak and observe through portraits, statues, and even minted coinage bearing their likeness.
CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS

Cost 14,250 gp
Forge Ring, arcane mark, enter image, enthrall, prayer, creator must have 5 ranks of Diplomacy and Knowledge (religion) and the ability to cast divine spells

crafted for him.

How would a "typical" fanatic of Desna act?
Thank you for any insight you can provide, =)

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

If there was a situation where Good Golarion deities were forced to cooperate with Evil Forgotten Realms deities (some sort of Rovagug situation, perhaps, or the like?), which Good/Evil pairings would you see working together the best/managing to kill each other the least/at least producing the most entertaining interactions?

How about vice versa, Good FR deities and Evil Golarion deities?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
And on a semi-related note, have you seen the latest "Manly Guys Doing Manly Things" comic? It's got velociraptors in it! Adorable fluffy little toothbird velociraptors!
I have not. Never heard of it, and with a title like that, I'm not too interested in checking it out.

The title is somewhat deceptive, it's about an agency trying to help hypermasculine fictional characters get and maintain regular jobs.

Who's your favorite Greek deity?

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

James Jacobs wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
Will we ever see an AP where the various goblinoid races are prominent?
Probably not, since the idea of goblinoid remaining a threat up to 16th level or so isn't really what Golarion is about. I suppose there could be a big bad end guy who was a hobgoblin or something someday, but fighting goblinoid all the way through? I highly doubt it.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Jade Regent, James.

Goblinoids are prominent in three of the four books up through book 4, about 10-12th level. Helps that Oni can have the Goblin subtype.

A lot of the 'basic soldier' oni in the later books are goblin-type Oni, although not the bosses.

So FE: Goblin comes in useful for over 2/3 of that AP!

==Aelryinth

56,351 to 56,400 of 77,070 << first < prev | 1123 | 1124 | 1125 | 1126 | 1127 | 1128 | 1129 | 1130 | 1131 | 1132 | 1133 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.