>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

54,001 to 54,050 of 77,091 << first < prev | 1076 | 1077 | 1078 | 1079 | 1080 | 1081 | 1082 | 1083 | 1084 | 1085 | 1086 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Who broke the website this time?

(Paizo wouldn't let me get on for TEN WHOLE MINUTES! UNACCEPTABLE! SOMEBODY SHOULD PAY!)


Is the unchained monk like this Or this.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:

In place of alignment, Vampire used a rating for Humanity. which mainly described where a Vampire would "draw the line in the acts it would commit" as listed below:

A Kindred’s Humanity rating reflects how much of a character’s mortal nature remains despite the curse of Caine. It influences how well a character may deny her vampiric state, as well as how effectively she may pass for mortal.

0 - Monstrous (Wight)
1 - Horrific
2 - Bestial
3 - Cold
4 - Unfeeling
5 - Distant
6 - Removed
7 - Normal
8 - Caring
9 - Compassionate
10 - Saintly

Humanity Rating - Moral Guideline
10 - Selfish thoughts
9 - Minor selfish acts
8 - Injury to another (accidental or otherwise)
7 - Theft
6 - Accidental violation (drinking a vessel dry out of starvation)
5 - Intentional property damage
4 - Impassioned violation (manslaughter, killing a vessel in frenzy)
3 - Planned violation (outright murder, savored exsanguination)
2 - Casual violation (thoughtless killing, feeding past satiation)
1 - Utter perversion or heinous acts
0 - No moral guideline: must sleep, must feed, must kill.

What would you think of this as a replacement for alignment in Pathfinder, and what name would you give it?

I think that Pathfinder's alignment system is more elegant, and that the lists above work better for personality traits.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Ross Byers wrote:
What's the best use for charm person/monster?

To one-shot stop an encounter and turn a foe into a friend.

Contributor

If all of the humans on Golarion suddenly died, which race do you think would step up to be the new [RACE]ocentric power on the planet?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
If a druid wanted to reestablish the local Green Faith hierarchy in his/her area after it had been destroyed by circumstance (say, in the Worldwound for example), would the Green Faith Acolyte prestige class be required, as advancement in that class indicates advancing rank in the organization, or could they just get away with single-classing druid?

Taking levels in that prestige class wouldn't be required, but it'd be a great way to show the world and the GM how serious you are about it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Spook205 wrote:

Mr. Jacobs, thanks again for the response!

I've already got some more questions for you.

1.) What are your opinions on the occasional crazy DMs out there who run concurrent campaigns with the effects of one game having impacts on another (such as one party having their work undone by the other party without either knowing they're interfering with other human players)? Do you view this as a threat to the player agency issue, overly competitive, dishonest, neat?

2.) When you worked on the Golarian campaign setting, or your own table's campaign setting, did you work down or work up? IE: Do you start with the smallest denominator and expand out (village to world map), or do you start with the larger world and work down to where the PCs make their entry (world map to village)?

3.) How much of the Mystery Science Theater mantra ("It's just a (RPG), you should really just relax") do you advise players at your table to use when examining the Pathfinder setting's cosmology or economics?

4.) When designing your pantheons (Golarian and home setting again) did you sit down with the intention of making sure that there were appropriate deities (I need a chaotic evil god, a god who bards can worship, etc) or did you develop a mythology first and foremost?
4a.) Do you think its bad pantheon design if there are 'holes' in the pantheon? For example, my home pantheon lacks a real Lawful Evil deity, so the Lawful Evil folks end up either working with fiends, or worshipping a LN, LN(E) or NE deity.

1) If you can pull it off without player drama and breaking friendships, you're a better GM than I was in college.

2) Both. From the world view, I worked up, started small with a single town and built from there. But from a cosmic view, I started huge and simultaneously designed the gods and worked down from the BIG ones to the obscure ones.

3) 50%. Don't let the rules get in the way of fun. But since the game also pays for my rent and food and all that, it's NOT just an RPG to me. It's a livelihood.

4) Yes; I designed the gods the game needed first and built the mythology up out of the result.

4a) No. Leaving holes gives you (or the next author down the road) room to expand.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
The Doomkitten wrote:

Who broke the website this time?

(Paizo wouldn't let me get on for TEN WHOLE MINUTES! UNACCEPTABLE! SOMEBODY SHOULD PAY!)

It was probably something you did.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
xavier c wrote:
Is the unchained monk like this Or this.

Not even gonna click your links. Because I'm not gonna answer. You'll find out soon enough. Book's not that far away...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Alexander Augunas wrote:
If all of the humans on Golarion suddenly died, which race do you think would step up to be the new [RACE]ocentric power on the planet?

Elves.

Because elves are my next favorite race, and I'm the creative director, so I can make it happen if it comes to it.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
4a) No. Leaving holes gives you (or the next author down the road) room to expand.

Are there such designated "holes" in the map of Golarion?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
4a) No. Leaving holes gives you (or the next author down the road) room to expand.
Are there such designated "holes" in the map of Golarion?

There are plenty. All the areas we haven't yet detailed are holes. That said... ANY ONE of those holes could at some point in the future be developed by us. We have specfically NOT set aside any one part of Golarion as a sort of "GM Preserve," like how Sembia was treated in 2nd and most of 3rd edition in the Forgotten Realms.

There is not a section of Golarion we have, in other words, set aside as a place we'll never go. Anything and everything is a potential adventure site for us to explore.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

If you're still working on content for Hell's Rebels... can you include prestige-class updates for the "lesser" Hellknight orders (such as the Scar and the Coil), please? (I assume the Torrent will get some, too.) It would be nice for them to have specific abilities the way the others do, such as the Nail's Onslaught or the Rack's Censor.

1) In your vision of the Mendevian Crusades, how common are these groups?

1a) Asmodeans, Hellknights, and other reflections of Thrune-era Cheliax

1b) Gorumites

1c) Desnans, Calistrians, and other chaotic types

2) Would Xanthir Vang place an especially high priority on capturing a deific PC, given his own aspirations?

3) Would Vang make use of dimensional shamblers if he had the opportunity? (They're Chaosium's copyright, if I recall.)

4) If a third demon lord became involved in the Worldwound the way Deskari and Baphomet are, who would you pick?

5) Is this post too long? I'm trying to get better.

Thank you! :)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kalindlara wrote:

If you're still working on content for Hell's Rebels... can you include prestige-class updates for the "lesser" Hellknight orders (such as the Scar and the Coil), please? (I assume the Torrent will get some, too.) It would be nice for them to have specific abilities the way the others do, such as the Nail's Onslaught or the Rack's Censor.

1) In your vision of the Mendevian Crusades, how common are these groups?

1a) Asmodeans, Hellknights, and other reflections of Thrune-era Cheliax

1b) Gorumites

1c) Desnans, Calistrians, and other chaotic types

2) Would Xanthir Vang place an especially high priority on capturing a deific PC, given his own aspirations?

3) Would Vang make use of dimensional shamblers if he had the opportunity? (They're Chaosium's copyright, if I recall.)

4) If a third demon lord became involved in the Worldwound the way Deskari and Baphomet are, who would you pick?

5) Is this post too long? I'm trying to get better.

Thank you! :)

There will indeed be some info for the Order of the Torrent, but this AP isn't the right place to do updates for the others.

1a) Very rare.

1b) Very common.

1c) Not unheard of.

2) I suspect so.

3) Absolutely. And in fact, at one point, there were dimensional shamblers in there but I was unable to contact Chaosium in time to secure the rights to republish them so they got swapped out, alas.

4) Hmmmmmmm... probably Nurgal, since he's the demon lord of warfare AND one we've done very little with.

5) Nope! Is just about perfect!


James Jacobs wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:
If all of the humans on Golarion suddenly died, which race do you think would step up to be the new [RACE]ocentric power on the planet?

Elves.

Because elves are my next favorite race, and I'm the creative director, so I can make it happen if it comes to it.

Does that mean that elven population is second only to humans? Or just that they would be the most resourceful in filling the niche humans would leave?

And if it's not elves, which race is most numerous after humans?


Something I've been wondering. Who do halflings in Pathfinder have hairy feet while the ones in 3e didn't?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

1) I'm finding that a lot of PCs I get ideas for start as paladins but then morph into different classes as I refine and tweak it to better fit what I want out of the character. Is this because I've drifted away from wanting to play "knights" and am instead looking to Antiquity and the Dark Ages before knighthood as a concept took off for inspiration? Or is it a weakness in the paladin as a concept?

2) I'm stuck trying to pick a PC game to play now that I've finished a campaign in Total War: Rome II. Do I play Mass Effect? Pillars of Eternity? Dragon Age? Baldur's Gate? The Witcher? Total War: Attila? Fable: Anniversary? BioShock? I can't decide! Help!

3) What part of Golarion would be a good place to set a character lifted from 17th century Germany (specifically inspired by Otfried Preußler's novel Krabat)?

4) I noticed in Lost Kingdoms one of the old Sarkorian family names was Dziergas, which is shared by the balor lord Dziergas Broodlord in City of Locusts. Does this mean there was some connection between this family and the balor? A mere coincidence? Or is this more like that oversight where The Forever Man and the antipaladin in WotR share the name of Staunton Vhane?

5) What wheels look cooler: Ones with six spokes, eight spokes, or seven?

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

James, can I get a three line (or more) synopsis of your Shadows Under Absalom game? Would you be able to give one for Eric Mona's?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dustin Ashe wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:
If all of the humans on Golarion suddenly died, which race do you think would step up to be the new [RACE]ocentric power on the planet?

Elves.

Because elves are my next favorite race, and I'm the creative director, so I can make it happen if it comes to it.

Does that mean that elven population is second only to humans? Or just that they would be the most resourceful in filling the niche humans would leave?

And if it's not elves, which race is most numerous after humans?

Not at all. It just means that if Paizo decided that Golarion was no longer going to be humanocentric, that I'd push hard to make it all about elves.

As for what race is most numerous after humans? Hmmm... good question. Not sure I'm all that interested in an answer, but I'd probably go with halflings. And then would change my mind a thousand times in the next hour.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Thomas LeBlanc wrote:
James, can I get a three line (or more) synopsis of your Shadows Under Absalom game? Would you be able to give one for Eric Mona's?

I don't have a Shadows Under Absalom game. I had a Shadows Under Sandpoint game. The three line synopsis would be:

"A new group of heroes rise in Sandpoint when a mysterious drug, a ghoulish uprising, and a haunted mechanical bird converge on the sleepy town. Something supernatural is pulling the strings on fate along the Lost Coast, and whatever it is can't be good! Can these new heroes save Sandpoint from a vile plot from deep below?"

Dark Archive

Starfinder Superscriber

Will Obsidian's Golarion based video game feature a Fiendish T-Rex, or follow a preexisting adventure path?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

AlgaeNymph wrote:
Something I've been wondering. Who do halflings in Pathfinder have hairy feet while the ones in 3e didn't?

Because I've always liked hairy feet on halflings, and the fact that I like them that way plus the fact that D&D moved away from that with 3rd edition were perfect reasons to make hairy feet our own in Pathfinder.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

1) I'm finding that a lot of PCs I get ideas for start as paladins but then morph into different classes as I refine and tweak it to better fit what I want out of the character. Is this because I've drifted away from wanting to play "knights" and am instead looking to Antiquity and the Dark Ages before knighthood as a concept took off for inspiration? Or is it a weakness in the paladin as a concept?

2) I'm stuck trying to pick a PC game to play now that I've finished a campaign in Total War: Rome II. Do I play Mass Effect? Pillars of Eternity? Dragon Age? Baldur's Gate? The Witcher? Total War: Attila? Fable: Anniversary? BioShock? I can't decide! Help!

3) What part of Golarion would be a good place to set a character lifted from 17th century Germany (specifically inspired by Otfried Preußler's novel Krabat)?

4) I noticed in Lost Kingdoms one of the old Sarkorian family names was Dziergas, which is shared by the balor lord Dziergas Broodlord in City of Locusts. Does this mean there was some connection between this family and the balor? A mere coincidence? Or is this more like that oversight where The Forever Man and the antipaladin in WotR share the name of Staunton Vhane?

5) What wheels look cooler: Ones with six spokes, eight spokes, or seven?

1) Dunno. Maybe it's because paladins are boring? :P

2) Yes. In that order.

3) Haven't read that novel, and 17th century Germany is a bit modern anwyay. Maybe Ustalav?

4) Both of those names were created by Wes, so you'd have to ask him, but I suspect it's coincidence.

5) No difference.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

DragoDorn wrote:
Will Obsidian's Golarion based video game feature a Fiendish T-Rex, or follow a preexisting adventure path?

You're getting way ahead of yourself.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

1) Is there a Pathfinder equivalent for the Far Realm? I know most of the Lovecraftian elements were attached to the Dark Tapestry.

2) Are creatures like mi-go and Star-Spawn of Cthulhu still made of "different" matter, like in The Whisperer in Darkness?

3) If you went to the area of space that mi-go or colours out of space came from, would things be "different" there? Is the Far Realm equivalent simply a distant edge of outer space?

Thank you! :)

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Also, re: the Worldwound, I already had some plans for Nurgal. (One of the PCs wanted to figure out why Drezen's river dried up.)

So, that idea works very well! Thank you! :)


*facepalm*

I just realized how difficult it is to convey sarcasm across the Internet. My last post in here was a joke. The wifi at my house is unreliable at best, and... oh, nevermind.

;P


If I were to write out a campaign setting, is there a particular format that is generally accepted by publishers, or does it not matter? Should I follow the format that Paizo uses or should I try to copy whoever I am sending it to?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:

1) Dunno. Maybe it's because paladins are boring? :P

2) Yes. In that order.

3) Haven't read that novel, and 17th century Germany is a bit modern anwyay. Maybe Ustalav?

4) Both of those names were created by Wes, so you'd have to ask him, but I suspect it's coincidence.

5) No difference.

1) I don't find them boring. I just find them hard to reconcile with my current "character who straddles the line between civilized and tribalistic peoples" kick. I've found ways to make them interesting (Paladin Aldori Swordlord FTW!) but they tend to fall into very specific parts of Golarion (like Kingmaker for the above example). Are paladins just too "civilized" of a character class?

2) Ooooookay. I suppose a space opera will be a nice change of pace. Which ME3 ending did you find the most ethical?

3) That was my gut reaction. Ustalav just FEELS like the place you'd find a creepy one-eyed warlock running a school for black magic out of an old watermill and sacrificing a single student in a pact with the Devil every Christmas to sustain his own wretched life.

4) I'll ask him. Thanks for the tip!

5) Okay, I guess. Thanks anyway. I suppose I shouldn't try to reinvent the wheel...

Dark Archive

Starfinder Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
DragoDorn wrote:
Will Obsidian's Golarion based video game feature a Fiendish T-Rex, or follow a preexisting adventure path?
You're getting way ahead of yourself.

Does that mean I get to be a time traveler and find out the answers to my question early?

But seriously, when would it be a good time to ask?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kalindlara wrote:

1) Is there a Pathfinder equivalent for the Far Realm? I know most of the Lovecraftian elements were attached to the Dark Tapestry.

2) Are creatures like mi-go and Star-Spawn of Cthulhu still made of "different" matter, like in The Whisperer in Darkness?

3) If you went to the area of space that mi-go or colours out of space came from, would things be "different" there? Is the Far Realm equivalent simply a distant edge of outer space?

Thank you! :)

1) The Dark Tapestry is it. It's not another plane though, unlike the Far Realm. And it's a lot less fantasy and a lot more scary real-world deep space than the Far Realm, I hope.

2) Yes.

3) They would indeed be different, in as much as a different planet could be different. Which is as exciting and interesting as any other plane... more so, I think, since it's a concept that the game hasn't traditionally explored.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The Doomkitten wrote:

*facepalm*

I just realized how difficult it is to convey sarcasm across the Internet. My last post in here was a joke. The wifi at my house is unreliable at best, and... oh, nevermind.

;P

HA! So I was right! It WAS something you... or at least your wifi... did!

And no worries! ;-)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

1) Dunno. Maybe it's because paladins are boring? :P

2) Yes. In that order.

3) Haven't read that novel, and 17th century Germany is a bit modern anwyay. Maybe Ustalav?

4) Both of those names were created by Wes, so you'd have to ask him, but I suspect it's coincidence.

5) No difference.

1) I don't find them boring. I just find them hard to reconcile with my current "character who straddles the line between civilized and tribalistic peoples" kick. I've found ways to make them interesting (Paladin Aldori Swordlord FTW!) but they tend to fall into very specific parts of Golarion (like Kingmaker for the above example). Are paladins just too "civilized" of a character class?

2) Ooooookay. I suppose a space opera will be a nice change of pace. Which ME3 ending did you find the most ethical?

3) That was my gut reaction. Ustalav just FEELS like the place you'd find a creepy one-eyed warlock running a school for black magic out of an old watermill and sacrificing a single student in a pact with the Devil every Christmas to sustain his own wretched life.

4) I'll ask him. Thanks for the tip!

5) Okay, I guess. Thanks anyway. I suppose I shouldn't try to reinvent the wheel...

1)I don't know why you have issues with staying with the class... I can only state my own. Lawful characters are, in general, kinda boring to me. Although I DID quite enjoy playing lawful neutral Tyralandi back in the day, so it might just be a matter of finding the right class/deity combo.

2)

Spoiler:
The middle option.

3) Not a question.

4) Ok!

5) Not unless you like inventing wheels!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
DragoDorn wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
DragoDorn wrote:
Will Obsidian's Golarion based video game feature a Fiendish T-Rex, or follow a preexisting adventure path?
You're getting way ahead of yourself.

Does that mean I get to be a time traveler and find out the answers to my question early?

But seriously, when would it be a good time to ask?

If and when we announce anything new, that would be a good time to ask. We prefer to coordinate new announcements, be they things we're doing or things we're working with another company on. We DO have a license with Obsidian to do video games, but the current one that they're working on is a version of the card game.

I would LOVE to do more with them though, and not because they're one of my favorite video game companies (they are!). But because it's pretty obvious that the games they make would be a great fit for Golarion.

But for now... nothing more to say on the topic, alas.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:


1)I don't know why you have issues with staying with the class... I can only state my own. Lawful characters are, in general, kinda boring to me. Although I DID quite enjoy playing lawful neutral Tyralandi back in the day, so it might just be a matter of finding the right class/deity combo.

I kind of picked up on this pages back when I mentioned a lot of Inevitables and you described it as being a boring DM. :)

1. What would your reaction be if say you ended up DMing a party comprised universally of stodgy LN Abadar worshippers?

2. In general do you find the concept of the mono-class or even a mono-archetype party (everybody is burglars!) to be a good thing, a bad thing, an interesting 'sometimes food' or something else?

3. From the various APs that Paizo's released, what do you think the worst possible characters to play in each individual AP would be (by alignment, class or attitude)?


If all fey come from the First World, why aren't they all considered extraplanar? What makes a lurker in light extraplanar but not a pixie?

Contributor

I can't get enough of Bloodborne! I hope you get a chance to really dive deep into it soon.

1. Do you feel that the Pathfinder rules work well for playing a gritty and atmospheric game similar to the Souls games or Bloodborne?

2. If not, would adding some extra subsystems or rules to PF be enough or would it warrant its own game?

3. When outlining an AP, how much influence do your authors have on the overall plot? Have you ever been suggested an idea and decided to keep the change?

4. Assuming you had the time and resources for it, how far off would Unspeakable Futures be from its official release? i.e. "Unspeakable Futures is currently x% written."

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

In the Warhammer universe, the space between star systems is filled with horror and Chaos. Is that what is meant by the Dark Tapestry? That in order to travel between systems, you have to undergo a scenario much like that in the movie "Event Horizon"?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is that Shadowrun is a world where magic overlays physics. Is the plane that Golarion and the Tapestry resides in, the reverse?

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

I was curious as well - ever since Rasputin Must Die!, I can't not see Pathfinder as being in continuity with Earth (and possibly Hellboy). I just haven't figured out what I'm trying to ask...

I do agree that the Dark Tapestry is way more unique than anything previous editions did with these ideas. I've just been enchanted with the Far Realm ever since 3.0. Bruce Cordell's work on the Manual of the Planes was really inspired. The more they used it, though, the less interesting it became.

Is there anything you view that way in Golarion? Anything you go out of your way to use extremely sparingly, so as to preserve its mystery?

Thank you! :)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Filby Pott wrote:
If all fey come from the First World, why aren't they all considered extraplanar? What makes a lurker in light extraplanar but not a pixie?

Because the lurker in light is more infused with extraplanar stuff, but most fey are not. The First World is unusual in that way. As are fey. They're so closely tied to nature and the natural world that they pretty much become natives to the Material Plane as soon as they show up there.

(And because the First World is a brand new addition to the cosmology that has no real analogy to anything in previous editions of D&D, and as such when we built the Bestiary we didn't really have all those implications worked out for how fey work regarding extraplanar subtypes...)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Spook205 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:


1)I don't know why you have issues with staying with the class... I can only state my own. Lawful characters are, in general, kinda boring to me. Although I DID quite enjoy playing lawful neutral Tyralandi back in the day, so it might just be a matter of finding the right class/deity combo.

I kind of picked up on this pages back when I mentioned a lot of Inevitables and you described it as being a boring DM. :)

1. What would your reaction be if say you ended up DMing a party comprised universally of stodgy LN Abadar worshippers?

2. In general do you find the concept of the mono-class or even a mono-archetype party (everybody is burglars!) to be a good thing, a bad thing, an interesting 'sometimes food' or something else?

3. From the various APs that Paizo's released, what do you think the worst possible characters to play in each individual AP would be (by alignment, class or attitude)?

1) Delight, since I'd have a whole PARTY of victims to taunt and torment and tempt! Mwa ha ha ha ha!

2) An interesting thing. I've always wanted to run a game where everyone has a shared theme, and in fact did once, back in college. Ran a Greyhawk game where everyone had to be a human. It was quite fun, and having all the PCs share something like that opens up storyline possibilities you normally can't do.

3) Any PC who doesn't want to be part of a team.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

donato wrote:

I can't get enough of Bloodborne! I hope you get a chance to really dive deep into it soon.

1. Do you feel that the Pathfinder rules work well for playing a gritty and atmospheric game similar to the Souls games or Bloodborne?

2. If not, would adding some extra subsystems or rules to PF be enough or would it warrant its own game?

3. When outlining an AP, how much influence do your authors have on the overall plot? Have you ever been suggested an idea and decided to keep the change?

4. Assuming you had the time and resources for it, how far off would Unspeakable Futures be from its official release? i.e. "Unspeakable Futures is currently x% written."

1) Yes.

2) No need. The game works fine for that genre already.

3) Very little. The whole outline for an AP is about 20,000 words; about the same length as a 32 page module, in fact. Each adventure has about a 1,000 to 2,000 word specific outline where I set out all the basic needs of the adventure. The author then gets to take that outline and fill out the rest, which mostly focuses on the adventure itself, and doesn't really do much with the overall inter-connectivity of the total AP itself. Often, the author comes up with cool ideas that I can then work into the plot outline, especially when the author hits their deadline. When they miss the deadline, it's more likely I'll need to revise and rewrite large sections of their adventure to make it fit.

4) It's currently written enough that if I dropped it onto the internet this instant, it'd be playable. It'd be missing most of the monsters and all of the campaign setting details though; I've not yet managed to get those into anything more than rough notes for myself, since I never had to share those elements with the players. That all said, I don't WANT to do this. If I were to release it, I'd want it to have artwork, fully edited words, and be laid out in something other than Word. Getting it to that point would, at the minimum, require probably 6 months of work. More, if I also had to work a 40 hour work week at Paizo during those 6 months.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LazarX wrote:

In the Warhammer universe, the space between star systems is filled with horror and Chaos. Is that what is meant by the Dark Tapestry? That in order to travel between systems, you have to undergo a scenario much like that in the movie "Event Horizon"?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is that Shadowrun is a world where magic overlays physics. Is the plane that Golarion and the Tapestry resides in, the reverse?

No. The "Dark Tapestry" is basically our code for "deep space." But not ALL deep space; just the scary parts. I suppose Warhammer draws from similar inspirations to us though, so the similarity is obvious.

Golarion and the Dark Tapestry are both in the universe. Both are firmly within the Material Plane.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
And because the First World is a brand new addition to the cosmology that has no real analogy to anything in previous editions of D&D

Wasn't there a Realm of Faerie in D&D that's sort of analogous to the First World?

Speaking of fey, what was the reason for not including the Seelie and Unseelie Courts in Pathfinder?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Kalindlara wrote:

I was curious as well - ever since Rasputin Must Die!, I can't not see Pathfinder as being in continuity with Earth (and possibly Hellboy). I just haven't figured out what I'm trying to ask...

I do agree that the Dark Tapestry is way more unique than anything previous editions did with these ideas. I've just been enchanted with the Far Realm ever since 3.0. Bruce Cordell's work on the Manual of the Planes was really inspired. The more they used it, though, the less interesting it became.

Is there anything you view that way in Golarion? Anything you go out of your way to use extremely sparingly, so as to preserve its mystery?

Thank you! :)

Golarion has always been in continuity with SOME version of Earth. And I suspect that "Rasputin Must Die" won't be the last we explore that continuity...

And yes. There's a LOT I'd rather not overdo, so as to preserve mystery. Azlant is one thing. Sarusan is another. The fifth Horseman. Aroden's death. Rovagug's prison. The Dimension of Time. The ruins atop the Crown of the World. The Vaults of Orv and their creators. What's beyond the Great Beyond. Pharasma's method of sorting the dead. And more and more.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Filby Pott wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
And because the First World is a brand new addition to the cosmology that has no real analogy to anything in previous editions of D&D

Wasn't there a Realm of Faerie in D&D that's sort of analogous to the First World?

Speaking of fey, what was the reason for not including the Seelie and Unseelie Courts in Pathfinder?

There's never been a well-defined "realm of faerie" in D&D that I know of. The Seelie and Unseelie courts popped up here and there but never really officially. And yes... the First World is more interesting to me than the Seelie and Unseelie, which is already FAR too developed and explored across all sorts of other stories and mythologies.

The First World was an opportunity for us to do something special and new and unique to Golarion.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
LazarX wrote:

In the Warhammer universe, the space between star systems is filled with horror and Chaos. Is that what is meant by the Dark Tapestry? That in order to travel between systems, you have to undergo a scenario much like that in the movie "Event Horizon"?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is that Shadowrun is a world where magic overlays physics. Is the plane that Golarion and the Tapestry resides in, the reverse?

No. The "Dark Tapestry" is basically our code for "deep space." But not ALL deep space; just the scary parts. I suppose Warhammer draws from similar inspirations to us though, so the similarity is obvious.

Golarion and the Dark Tapestry are both in the universe. Both are firmly within the Material Plane.

What qualifies as 'deep space' though?

Is it merely a matter of persepctive, i.e. really far from Golarion, but not from other worlds?

Is it a place in which life doesn't exist outside of the Dark Tapestry?

Could it be a place where Stars, planets, galaxies etc. haven't really formed yet? As in, literally a Dark Tapestry due to the absence of light?

Is it the edge of the physical Universe? As in, beyond this point exists large remnants of the energies of creation (the Maelstrom, I think it is in Golarion) but the Dark Tapestry exists between the remnants and the Universe's edge.

I'm just curious as to what you consider 'Deep Space'. Where does normal space end and deep space begin?


Is there something beyond the Great Beyond? like other planes?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tels wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
LazarX wrote:

In the Warhammer universe, the space between star systems is filled with horror and Chaos. Is that what is meant by the Dark Tapestry? That in order to travel between systems, you have to undergo a scenario much like that in the movie "Event Horizon"?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is that Shadowrun is a world where magic overlays physics. Is the plane that Golarion and the Tapestry resides in, the reverse?

No. The "Dark Tapestry" is basically our code for "deep space." But not ALL deep space; just the scary parts. I suppose Warhammer draws from similar inspirations to us though, so the similarity is obvious.

Golarion and the Dark Tapestry are both in the universe. Both are firmly within the Material Plane.

What qualifies as 'deep space' though?

Is it merely a matter of persepctive, i.e. really far from Golarion, but not from other worlds?

Is it a place in which life doesn't exist outside of the Dark Tapestry?

Could it be a place where Stars, planets, galaxies etc. haven't really formed yet? As in, literally a Dark Tapestry due to the absence of light?

Is it the edge of the physical Universe? As in, beyond this point exists large remnants of the energies of creation (the Maelstrom, I think it is in Golarion) but the Dark Tapestry exists between the remnants and the Universe's edge.

I'm just curious as to what you consider 'Deep Space'. Where does normal space end and deep space begin?

We specifically do NOT want to draw borders around the Dark Tapestry. What qualifies as it is its distance, its theme, and its horror, pretty much. Life exists there, but life there is not pleasant for humans. There are absolutely stars and planets and galaxies there, and it's not at the edge. If anything, it's at the CENTER of the universe.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
xavier c wrote:
Is there something beyond the Great Beyond? like other planes?

That's an excellent question!

54,001 to 54,050 of 77,091 << first < prev | 1076 | 1077 | 1078 | 1079 | 1080 | 1081 | 1082 | 1083 | 1084 | 1085 | 1086 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.