>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

51,601 to 51,650 of 83,732 << first < prev | 1028 | 1029 | 1030 | 1031 | 1032 | 1033 | 1034 | 1035 | 1036 | 1037 | 1038 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

Thomas LeBlanc wrote:

Happy birthday James!

Hope you had a great day. What was your last birthday wish?

It was pretty awesome.

I don't really make birthday wishes, though.

Scarab Sages

Happy Birthday Mr Creative Dinosaur!


James is the non-lethal Damage caused by heat overcome by fire resistance?I ask for further clarification as I am faced with a desert and desire to overcome its harsh temperatures so I may properly patrol it!

Dark Archive

Happy Birthday oh Director of Creativity


Happy Birthday James.


Happy Birthday


Happy Birthday!


Dear James,

1) Did the gods who died trying to stop the fall of the Starstone have followers on other worlds?

2) If so, did their followers on other worlds know what happened?


James Jacobs wrote:
4d6 Kobolds wrote:
Kobolds are bestest! Which Kobold is scary lizard man's favoritist?
Kobolds who wear hoods are the best.

But if they wear hoods how can kobold tell if they are kobolds?

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

How's this for a birthday present, a possible Del Toro TV series?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Antivorus wrote:
James is the non-lethal Damage caused by heat overcome by fire resistance?I ask for further clarification as I am faced with a desert and desire to overcome its harsh temperatures so I may properly patrol it!

You should ask in the rules forum for an FAQ tag...

But it absolutely should be blocked by fire resistance. It is in my games, and it makes sense.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

scifan888 wrote:

Dear James,

1) Did the gods who died trying to stop the fall of the Starstone have followers on other worlds?

2) If so, did their followers on other worlds know what happened?

1) Unrevealed, but probably.

2) Probably not.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
4d6 Kobolds wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
4d6 Kobolds wrote:
Kobolds are bestest! Which Kobold is scary lizard man's favoritist?
Kobolds who wear hoods are the best.
But if they wear hoods how can kobold tell if they are kobolds?

Because their snouts stick out.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

JoelF847 wrote:

How's this for a birthday present, a possible Del Toro TV series?

There's already one of those: The Strain.

But I do want more.


Hi, James!

What would you recommend for a witch wanting to have a wolf as her familiar?


Rhetorical question (since this thread operates on Jeopardy! rules), but is your birthday really January 9th? Me too. :) Happy birthday! How's it feel to have one of this thread's regular's share a birthday with you? I'm hopefully better company than a certain dead president, an evil wizard/schoolteacher, and the Devil Doctor of Chiron.

I would've wished you one earlier, but I was spending the rest of the day playing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.


James Jacobs wrote:
4d6 Kobolds wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
4d6 Kobolds wrote:
Kobolds are bestest! Which Kobold is scary lizard man's favoritist?
Kobolds who wear hoods are the best.
But if they wear hoods how can kobold tell if they are kobolds?
Because their snouts stick out.

But if hood kobolds wear hoods to hide themselves, but are too stupid to hide their snouts, then how can hood kobolds be bestest?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Varisian Wanderer wrote:

Hi, James!

What would you recommend for a witch wanting to have a wolf as her familiar?

I would recommend multiclassing to druid and getting a wolf animal companion. Or even better, if the character's not yet created, just play a druid from the start. Wolves are too big to be familiars.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

AlgaeNymph wrote:

Rhetorical question (since this thread operates on Jeopardy! rules), but is your birthday really January 9th? Me too. :) Happy birthday! How's it feel to have one of this thread's regular's share a birthday with you? I'm hopefully better company than a certain dead president, an evil wizard/schoolteacher, and the Devil Doctor of Chiron.

I would've wished you one earlier, but I was spending the rest of the day playing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

Happy Birthday!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
4d6 Kobolds wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
4d6 Kobolds wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
4d6 Kobolds wrote:
Kobolds are bestest! Which Kobold is scary lizard man's favoritist?
Kobolds who wear hoods are the best.
But if they wear hoods how can kobold tell if they are kobolds?
Because their snouts stick out.
But if hood kobolds wear hoods to hide themselves, but are too stupid to hide their snouts, then how can hood kobolds be bestest?

Style counts for a lot.

Dark Archive

James where is Zursvaater (fire giant god) based? is it Hell? his own demiplane?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ulgulanoth wrote:
James where is Zursvaater (fire giant god) based? is it Hell? his own demiplane?

We'll be talking a bit more about him in several months... at this point, I'm not sure off the top of my head where he's based, but we'll reveal that pretty soon.


James - How do other goblins feel about alchemist goblins? I mean, they blow stuff up and start a lot of fires (and even have two of their own archetypes, which is more than any other racial archetypes I can think of), yeah, but they are also utterly dependent on reading and writing, which I know the gobbos hate.

Same question for wizards also, same reasoning.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
thegreenteagamer wrote:

James - How do other goblins feel about alchemist goblins? I mean, they blow stuff up and start a lot of fires (and even have two of their own archetypes, which is more than any other racial archetypes I can think of), yeah, but they are also utterly dependent on reading and writing, which I know the gobbos hate.

Same question for wizards also, same reasoning.

With a mixture of fear, awe, and distrust. Goblins tend to be less afraid of alchemist goblins than wizard ones. Note that most goblin alchemists or wizards use spellbooks that utilize drawings and symbols, not words.


James Jacobs wrote:
Varisian Wanderer wrote:

Hi, James!

What would you recommend for a witch wanting to have a wolf as her familiar?

I would recommend multiclassing to druid and getting a wolf animal companion. Or even better, if the character's not yet created, just play a druid from the start. Wolves are too big to be familiars.

Take a fox and re-fluff it as a miniature wolf.

Shadow Lodge

Happy belated birthday James Jacobs!!!

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Hi James,

Do you think out there, somewhere there is a very confused person running a delivery service who removes people's livers?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kieviel wrote:

Hi James,

Do you think out there, somewhere there is a very confused person running a delivery service who removes people's livers?

Cute.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ElterAgo wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Varisian Wanderer wrote:

Hi, James!

What would you recommend for a witch wanting to have a wolf as her familiar?

I would recommend multiclassing to druid and getting a wolf animal companion. Or even better, if the character's not yet created, just play a druid from the start. Wolves are too big to be familiars.
Take a fox and re-fluff it as a miniature wolf.

Meh. I wouldn't allow this if I were the GM. One of the restrictions I tend to put on my players is that they make characters that can exist in the game setting I'm running. In that setting there are a LOT of options, but I define settings as much by what ISN'T an option. And "miniature wolves" are silly.

If the player's fine with a fox familiar, that's fine.

Dark Archive

James, as far as Golarion is concerned, would you say that most wizards choose to specialize in a school, or is it more of an even split with universalists?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Atrocious wrote:
James, as far as Golarion is concerned, would you say that most wizards choose to specialize in a school, or is it more of an even split with universalists?

There are more universalists than any one specialty school, but more specialists in all than universalists.

Say, something like 10% of all wizards are specialists, but 20% are universalists. Or 5% are specialists and 60% are universalists. It's probably somewhere between those two bookends.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
thegreenteagamer wrote:

James - How do other goblins feel about alchemist goblins? I mean, they blow stuff up and start a lot of fires (and even have two of their own archetypes, which is more than any other racial archetypes I can think of), yeah, but they are also utterly dependent on reading and writing, which I know the gobbos hate.

Same question for wizards also, same reasoning.

With a mixture of fear, awe, and distrust. Goblins tend to be less afraid of alchemist goblins than wizard ones. Note that most goblin alchemists or wizards use spellbooks that utilize drawings and symbols, not words.

*pops head around corner* "I don't mean to step in on your answer but an addition to role playing this is to have your goblin alchemist use the symbols and recipe patterns from the Alchemy Manuel." *pops head back*


James - Say I'm a Fighter 9/Synthesist 1 and I have my fused eidolon out. What would my BAB be? +1 or +10?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Derek the Ferret wrote:
James - Say I'm a Fighter 9/Synthesist 1 and I have my fused eidolon out. What would my BAB be? +1 or +10?

Wouldn't matter in my case. I don't allow summoners in my game, and if I did, I wouldn't allow synthesists.

AKA: That's a question for the rules boards.

If I did come across that, I'd say +1 BAB, since the synthesist's reputation is such that I automatically assume it's WAY overpowered, and thus default to the worst possible option. ;-)

Contributor

James Jacobs wrote:
Derek the Ferret wrote:
James - Say I'm a Fighter 9/Synthesist 1 and I have my fused eidolon out. What would my BAB be? +1 or +10?

Wouldn't matter in my case. I don't allow summoners in my game, and if I did, I wouldn't allow synthesists.

AKA: That's a question for the rules boards.

If I did come across that, I'd say +1 BAB, since the synthesist's reputation is such that I automatically assume it's WAY overpowered, and thus default to the worst possible option. ;-)

There's a specific FAQ that says your BAB stacks similarly to a multiclass monk's when using a flurry of blows. So its +10. All hail your synthesist summoner overlords. ;-)


Why do spontaneous casters gain new spells one level later than prepared casters. The answer I usually get for this question is "game balance" but isn't the trade off for being a spontaneous caster your limited repertoire and increased number of daily spells? Why and how did losing out on a level of spell progression come into the equation?


James - What is your standing on the Feral Combat Training + Improved Natural Attack stacking (or not) with Monk unarmed strike damage?

Radiant Oath

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

What's the hardest ethical decision you've ever had to make in a game as a player? What did you ultimately decide and why?

Scarab Sages

Besides synthesist summoner are there any other "broken" classes or combos you've had to ban at your games.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

As I understand it, Geb killed himself, because he was so neurotic about Nex's disappearance.

Does this mean that when the Great Golarion Movie comes out that Geb should be played by Woody Allen or Christopher Wauken?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Roshan wrote:
Why do spontaneous casters gain new spells one level later than prepared casters. The answer I usually get for this question is "game balance" but isn't the trade off for being a spontaneous caster your limited repertoire and increased number of daily spells? Why and how did losing out on a level of spell progression come into the equation?

Game balance is indeed the answer. Spontaneous spellcasters can cast more spells per day than prepared spellcasters, who in return get earlier access to spells than spontaneous ones.

The whole thing, in any event, was designed by Jonathan Tweet and his companions back in the 3rd edition days, so you'd have to ask him for exact reasons why they felt that was a balanced trade off.


Kelban Alenark wrote:
Besides synthesist summoner are there any other "broken" classes or combos you've had to ban at your games.

He said that he bans summoner completely.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

For some reason, I now believe that post Hell's Rebels we are getting a Taldor/Qadira AP (some mix of the two). If that is the case would a Gazetteer of Kelish make sense depending on where the AP travels to?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Derek the Ferret wrote:
James - What is your standing on the Feral Combat Training + Improved Natural Attack stacking (or not) with Monk unarmed strike damage?

I've no standing on it at all, since I don't know what Feral Combat Training is.

I generally do not keep up on the rulebook expansions. I don't have time to keep up on them. When I do reference them, it's either to build a new character (which I do infrequently) or to build characters in adventures or to develop adventures, so unless an author pulls in something like Feral Combat Training, I'm unlikely to seek it out on my own.

Furthermore, my experience in answering rules questions on these boards has been, unfortunately, somewhat polarizing among the posters here. While the vast majority of folks are gracious and enjoy the rules answers I give, a few folks get uppity or unhappy or confused or frustrated when I do, since I don't always give the same answers that the design team would. I personally think that the fact that the game is robust enough to have multiple rules interpretations depending on GM play style is a good thing... but when you have "official Paizo rulings" (which is what anything I say is interpreted as by some folk) that clash against the rulings of other official Paizo rulings (which may not even yet exist), then, in particular, some players of Pathfinder Society org play get cranky.

Anyway, as a result, I don't answer rules questions from the rulebooks on this thread, but instead point folks to the rules forums to have them ask questions there so they can get tagged with a FAQ request. The rules team is a lot less active on these boards than I am but that's the way it is.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What's the hardest ethical decision you've ever had to make in a game as a player? What did you ultimately decide and why?

Spoilered, due to possible NFSW or trigger warning stuff...

Spoiler:
I was playing a cleric in Ravenloft who came across a mind flayer brood pit where the monsters had impregnated several prisoners with vile hideous spawn. The moral quandry as I understood in the adventure as written was "Leave the prisoners behind or rescue them," but my character was less appalled at the fact that they were prisoners and more appalled at the fact that they were being used as incubators, so she used cure disease to terminate their pregnancies and then rescue them.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kelban Alenark wrote:
Besides synthesist summoner are there any other "broken" classes or combos you've had to ban at your games.

Summoners are pretty much it. Once Unchained is out, I'll be re-allowing them back into my games though, since the Unchained version is MUCH more in line with what I'd wanted for the class all along.

Still won't allow the synthesist, because it's just too complicated. Same reason I don't allow the numerology rules. And the vehicle rules aren't fun for me—I use a much more streamlined set of rules for vehicle stuff.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:

As I understand it, Geb killed himself, because he was so neurotic about Nex's disappearance.

Does this mean that when the Great Golarion Movie comes out that Geb should be played by Woody Allen or Christopher Wauken?

Nope.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Justin Franklin wrote:
For some reason, I now believe that post Hell's Rebels we are getting a Taldor/Qadira AP (some mix of the two). If that is the case would a Gazetteer of Kelish make sense depending on where the AP travels to?

One of the fun things about this job is watching you try to sneak hints out of me about upcoming adventure paths.


James Jacobs wrote:
Kelban Alenark wrote:
Besides synthesist summoner are there any other "broken" classes or combos you've had to ban at your games.

Summoners are pretty much it. Once Unchained is out, I'll be re-allowing them back into my games though, since the Unchained version is MUCH more in line with what I'd wanted for the class all along.

Still won't allow the synthesist, because it's just too complicated. Same reason I don't allow the numerology rules. And the vehicle rules aren't fun for me—I use a much more streamlined set of rules for vehicle stuff.

Unchained? What's that? I honestly have no idea.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
For some reason, I now believe that post Hell's Rebels we are getting a Taldor/Qadira AP (some mix of the two). If that is the case would a Gazetteer of Kelish make sense depending on where the AP travels to?

One of the fun things about this job is watching you try to sneak hints out of me about upcoming adventure paths.

Well I am glad that is one of the fun things about your job, and not an annoyance. :D

51,601 to 51,650 of 83,732 << first < prev | 1028 | 1029 | 1030 | 1031 | 1032 | 1033 | 1034 | 1035 | 1036 | 1037 | 1038 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards