>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

50,551 to 50,600 of 78,950 << first < prev | 1007 | 1008 | 1009 | 1010 | 1011 | 1012 | 1013 | 1014 | 1015 | 1016 | 1017 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Also, I have a sinking suspicion that a friend of mine is kinda racist. What should I do? I'm in a Play by Post with him here and I don't want it to die because we argued...

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Questions I have about the worship of Sivanah:
1. What role does the worship of Sivanah play in Numeria?
2. What role does it play in Varisia?
3. What role does it play in Ustalav?
4. What is Sivanah's tolerance of splinter cults/philosophies? (my fetchling arcanist follows a philosophy he created that combines the main teachings of Desna, a lot of Sivanah's doctrine and a small amount of Cayden Calien and Shelyn's teachings)


James Jacobs wrote:
Bill McGrath wrote:

I have a problem with writing plots and I'd be interested in your feedback. Whenever I try to write a plot where characters are faced with an interesting challenge - whether it's morally good or bad - I find myself getting too caught up in how the characters solve that problem, rather than how to turn that problem into a story.

For example: the ambassador's house is too well guarded so the bad guys can't sneak in and murder them; or if the diplomat is murdered the bad guys do it professionally and don't leave any clues behind. I can't seem to come up with an out in these situations without making it seem cheap.

Is this a writing difficulty you've ever encountered, and if so how do you deal with it?

Practice is, alas, the answer here. The more you write adventures and the more you see how your particular group plays the encounters out and the more you learn from that playing out, the better you'll get in the future at writing encounters.

Reading published adventures is a close second to practice. Reading published adventures gives you concrete examples how other people build encounters, and you can use the construction of those encounters provided by professional game designers to hone your own skills. In the same way that reading novels makes you a better writer.

Thanks for the reply, as ever! I'll keep writing and hopefully get to run some more games soon.

I thought of another question: can you think of any Paizo books that have information about gladiators or gladiatorial combat? I have the rules info from Ultimate Combat, and I have hard copies of the old Dragon and Dungeon magazines from the Age of Worms AP that have the gladiatorial adventure - can you think of any other adventures or Golarion-specific information about gladiators or similar topics?

Liberty's Edge

Does a knife master rogue gain the d8 benifit from using Quadrens?


Hey James. I loved Valley of the Brain Collectors, and have so many questions. But I'll limit myself to three - for now.

Question 1: First off, I noticed a slight discrepancy: the yah-thelgaad in the adventure is referred to as Lthoon on page 39, but that name doesn't appear again. All other instances refer to it as Dweller-In-Dark-Places. So what kind of naming conventions do neh-thalggu use? Is Lthoon the thing's given name and Dweller its title? Or was its name changed to Dweller at some point in the writing process, and Lthoon just left in there by accident?

Question 2: On the topic of the Dominion, there are several species mentioned such as the bah-thegga, bah-uurla, dehnolo, jah-tohl, chyzaedu, and haeshi-shaa. As far as I know none of these have appeared before. Is there any chance that the next time the Dominion rears its collective head in PF, we'll see some of these guys statted up?

Question 3: It's been repeatedly stated that the Dominion's masters are not gods like Cthulhu or Azatoth. That said, would you be willing to say what their approximate CR might be? Like in the 20-25 or 26+ range?

Thanks as always.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The NPC wrote:

Mr. James Jacobs,

Say someone took all of an AP and fleshed it out into novels or an audio play. Assuming it was good and ready to go right then what would you or the person in the company who would handle such matters do with it?

Sell it to customers!

Assuming I understood your question right...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Do you know any good ways to take characters with a similar trait and make them play out differently? If there's one thing that's really making character writing hard for me, it's the old "their races and classes may be different, but all these people act and behave the same way!" problem. I really want to diversify the characters I play so I'm basically not playing each AP as the same personality or attitude, and I've probably asked some variant of this question to you in the past, but it's a big creative roadblock for me.

The first chapter of Ultimate Campaign is more or less specifically designed to help folks generate backgrounds. Use those rules to build up a few possible random combinations and run with the one you like the most! That, or deliberately choose a class and alignment and religion you haven't played in the past few games and go from there.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Myth Lord wrote:

What will be the monster themes for Giantslayer AP and the Hell's Rebels Ap's coming out next year? (talking about the bestiaries in those AP's)

Will we get 1 giant each AP? And also mythological creatures in the mix? Or does it have a very strick no-myth theme?

And does the Devil-AP only have devil-like creatures in it? Or a fresh mix?

We haven't said much about the bestiary themes for those APs yet, and aren't quite ready to do so either. Give us a few months to make sure what we have planned for them will actually BE the plan first off! :P

I don't believe there's any plans to do 1 giant per AP. I'm not convinced that design space is big enough at this point to support something like that, frankly... it's always been a pretty narrow niche, but we'll see.

There will ALWAYS be mythological monsters in the bestiaries.

And Hell's Rebels isn't a "devil AP." There's a lot more to it than that.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Also, I have a sinking suspicion that a friend of mine is kinda racist. What should I do? I'm in a Play by Post with him here and I don't want it to die because we argued...

You'll have to make that decision for yourself. I know that I would find it pretty much impossible to be friends with a racist, and I've certainly backed away from friendships in the past when it became clear that racisim was a factor in the ex-friend's personality.

Life is too short to waste time on haters.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

equinoxmaster wrote:

Questions I have about the worship of Sivanah:

1. What role does the worship of Sivanah play in Numeria?
2. What role does it play in Varisia?
3. What role does it play in Ustalav?
4. What is Sivanah's tolerance of splinter cults/philosophies? (my fetchling arcanist follows a philosophy he created that combines the main teachings of Desna, a lot of Sivanah's doctrine and a small amount of Cayden Calien and Shelyn's teachings)

1) Her faith has no significant presence in Numeria.

2) A few Varisian sorcerers who focus on illusion magic worship her, and a fair amount of outcasts or exiles or explorers who worship her live in Varisia, but her faith has no real organized center of worship there.

3) This is more a Wes question, but I suspect she's worshiped relatively heavily in certain ares, particularly Caliphas or other large cities. Not so much that she encroaches on any of the major religions of the area. Even where her worship is strong, the faithful of Sivanah are pretty low key and secretive and subtle.

4) Quite tolerant.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Bill McGrath wrote:
I thought of another question: can you think of any Paizo books that have information about gladiators or gladiatorial combat? I have the rules info from Ultimate Combat, and I have hard copies of the old Dragon and Dungeon magazines from the Age of Worms AP that have the gladiatorial adventure - can you think of any other adventures or Golarion-specific information about gladiators or similar topics?

Ultimate Combat is the best place to go for the core rules mechanics for that stuff, but we haven't done a lot with gladitorial combat in our Golarion products. Off the top of my head, the following books do have some information about this type of stuff though...

Magnimar: City of Monuments
Wrath of the Righteous: The Midnight Isles
Guide to the River Kingdoms
Inner Sea Combat

There's probably some stuff about it in the upcoming Belkzen book too, but I'm not sure.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Meadow lark wrote:
Does a knife master rogue gain the d8 benifit from using Quadrens?

Ask your GM or post the question to the book that presents the knife master or the quadrens so it can be FAQed.

That said, a quick look at the stats for the quadrens would strongly suggest no, since it's base damage of 1d6 is kind of high for a knife master weapon.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Generic Villain wrote:

Hey James. I loved Valley of the Brain Collectors, and have so many questions. But I'll limit myself to three - for now.

Question 1: First off, I noticed a slight discrepancy: the yah-thelgaad in the adventure is referred to as Lthoon on page 39, but that name doesn't appear again. All other instances refer to it as Dweller-In-Dark-Places. So what kind of naming conventions do neh-thalggu use? Is Lthoon the thing's given name and Dweller its title? Or was its name changed to Dweller at some point in the writing process, and Lthoon just left in there by accident?

Question 2: On the topic of the Dominion, there are several species mentioned such as the bah-thegga, bah-uurla, dehnolo, jah-tohl, chyzaedu, and haeshi-shaa. As far as I know none of these have appeared before. Is there any chance that the next time the Dominion rears its collective head in PF, we'll see some of these guys statted up?

Question 3: It's been repeatedly stated that the Dominion's masters are not gods like Cthulhu or Azatoth. That said, would you be willing to say what their approximate CR might be? Like in the 20-25 or 26+ range?

Thanks as always.

1) It basically has two names; it's personal name (Lthoon) and the "social" name of "Dweller in Dark Places." For the most part, neh-thalggu use just personal names. The yah-thelgaad are leaders, and something like "Dweller in Dark Places" would be analagous to "Commander" or "General" or "Professor" or something like that... although they're unique to individuals rather than generic rank titles.

2) None of those have been mentioned before. Whenever we pull back the curtain on a topic and answer questions, we try to plant new questions and mysteries so that we have places to develop into if the topic proves of interest. So, since I suspect folks WILL want to know more about the Dominion, these other creatures are things we can detail in the future.

3) At this point, no. I'm not ready to nail down the power level of the Dominion gods... or in fact limit their "gods" to creatures at all. The idea that they worship things like black holes is really appealing to me.


I was reading the Web Fiction "Thieves Vinegar" and there is a character named Zharmides the Godless and he seems to say things that are not to nice about the gods like calling Norgorber a two-bit snake-oil salesman and calling Pharasma a schoolmarm with an attendance fetish. And saying blasphemies about Asmodeus that where so bad that an
imp fainted.

So why do the gods let Atheist say bad things about them?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Thank you for the answers! Here's some more questions!

1) What would be a good visual reference for the elven curve blade? Most of the stuff I've seen looks like a giant rapier, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

2) If I were to attempt to prepare a "The Reason You Suck" Speech to try and shame Allevrah Azrinae (the villainess of Second Darkness), what would the best salient points to address beyond simply saying "You're pathetic!" which is basically the gist of such a speech anyway? What are some flaws or psychological scars my PC could pick at to REALLY piss her off and make the climactic confrontation more dramatic. I'm a sucker for heroes making speeches about how they've come to realize just how pitiful and weak the villain really is, and I'm hoping to play a character that uses this as a battle strategy, deconstructing his enemies until they get so upset they either make a mistake or give up entirely.

3) Do the Aldori Swordlords allow people descended from the ruling Issian houses into the Swordpact if they're willing to give up their names and family ties as their traditions demand, or would they likely reject or even kill such an applicant for such impudence?

4) On that note, would a Swordlord who diverts some of his/her energy to things like administrative pursuits and trying to educate themselves as having divided loyalties? I get the impression from them that mastery of the sword and a burning passion to punish the Issians for their crimes against Rostland must be the sole focus of their efforts, and if you have other commitments, whether that be to your faith, being a good leader or simply to a hobby, you're bringing dishonor to the Swordpact.


Hello James,

Small query, and apologies if it has been asked in the past. I understand that adventurer demographics will vary from region to region, but what is the frequency of those of Adventuring Persuasion in Avistan and Tian Xia? (Is there a difference?)

Also what proportion of society would have PC class levels? Is it over 50%?

Thanks so much for the reply.

prototype00


1)I just read a Spoiler on the Dominion of the Black and it is super evil so are there any good/other groups that fight the Dominion of the Black and what are they?

2)Do any of the gods know about the Dominion of the Black and what gods fight against them?

3)Does Iomedae know about the Dominion of the Black?

4)Do the beings of the outer planes have spaceships? (like do Inevitables,Archons and Devils have spaceships)

Liberty's Edge

How do you pronounce "Jorgenfist"?
Is the J pronounced as a Y thus, Yorgenfist?
Or is the J pronounced as a J as in Jug thus - Jorgenfist?


1)How common is blonde hair in Avistan?

2)Where would one most likely find blonde hair in Avistan?

3)Are there people with blonde hair in Casmaron?


How does Lamashtu feel about male pregnancy?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Mr.u wrote:

I was reading the Web Fiction "Thieves Vinegar" and there is a character named Zharmides the Godless and he seems to say things that are not to nice about the gods like calling Norgorber a two-bit snake-oil salesman and calling Pharasma a schoolmarm with an attendance fetish. And saying blasphemies about Asmodeus that where so bad that an

imp fainted.

So why do the gods let Atheist say bad things about them?

Ah; I've not read that story.

The gods let ANYONE (not just atheists) say what they will because that's what free will is all about. Gods who don't get free will* are doing it wrong and won't stay gods for long, but they can certainly do a fair amount of damage before they fail. Furthermore, the gods don't have time or interest in reacting to the actions of any one mortal. They've got FAR more important things to do. Their true believers and churches are the ones who are there to help handle mortal things like heretics and blasphemers.

*Iron Gods Spoiler

Spoiler:
Unity, the main antagonist of Iron Gods, is a great example of a deity who DOESN'T want to allow free will in its worshipers. It's a relatively new god who's self-taught and doing a lot of things wrong, but it's still a god and thus causes PLENTY of problems and mayhem along the way.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Here's a question: where is the love?

1. How come there is no oracle mystery of love?
2. How come no spiritualist's phantom's emotional focus is love (a la the movie 'Ghost')?
3. How come there is no witch's patron of Love? (u, I dunno, if Glinda was actually a nice person, maybe that would be her patron?)
4. I have no idea what a 'love bloodline' would look like...so I'm not going to ask that question...


James Jacobs wrote:
1) Any way they want. There are no rules governing those fights, by design. A clash between the gods is basically an open invitation to an adventure or story writer to do whatever they want, rules be damned. Check out any of the countless examples of gods fighting in the last several thousand years of mythology and entertainment for examples.

What are the top five (or three, or ten) such examples that spring to your mind?


ohako wrote:

Here's a question: where is the love?

1. How come there is no oracle mystery of love?
2. How come no spiritualist's phantom's emotional focus is love (a la the movie 'Ghost')?
3. How come there is no witch's patron of Love? (u, I dunno, if Glinda was actually a nice person, maybe that would be her patron?)
4. I have no idea what a 'love bloodline' would look like...so I'm not going to ask that question...

This is why i asked for a romance of the inner sea book

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

Thank you for the answers! Here's some more questions!

1) What would be a good visual reference for the elven curve blade? Most of the stuff I've seen looks like a giant rapier, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

2) If I were to attempt to prepare a "The Reason You Suck" Speech to try and shame Allevrah Azrinae (the villainess of Second Darkness), what would the best salient points to address beyond simply saying "You're pathetic!" which is basically the gist of such a speech anyway? What are some flaws or psychological scars my PC could pick at to REALLY piss her off and make the climactic confrontation more dramatic. I'm a sucker for heroes making speeches about how they've come to realize just how pitiful and weak the villain really is, and I'm hoping to play a character that uses this as a battle strategy, deconstructing his enemies until they get so upset they either make a mistake or give up entirely.

3) Do the Aldori Swordlords allow people descended from the ruling Issian houses into the Swordpact if they're willing to give up their names and family ties as their traditions demand, or would they likely reject or even kill such an applicant for such impudence?

4) On that note, would a Swordlord who diverts some of his/her energy to things like administrative pursuits and trying to educate themselves as having divided loyalties? I get the impression from them that mastery of the sword and a burning passion to punish the Issians for their crimes against Rostland must be the sole focus of their efforts, and if you have other commitments, whether that be to your faith, being a good leader or simply to a hobby, you're bringing dishonor to the Swordpact.

1) Page 27 of Ultimate Equipment.

2) This sounds like a request for plot spoiling/player advice that would be better for a character to learn while investigating her background in the course of the adventure path. Let your GM know you want to prepare such a speech so your GM can make sure to give your character plenty of options to make those discoveries that you can then later capitalize upon.

3) Yes, they allow it.

4) Yes. In fact, there's a LOT of swordlords who have abandoned their ties and have left the region to spread the teaching illegally throughout the Inner Sea region. The swordlords are BASICALLY a western version of the samurai, and those who turn their backs on tradition are basically western versions of ronin.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

prototype00 wrote:

Hello James,

Small query, and apologies if it has been asked in the past. I understand that adventurer demographics will vary from region to region, but what is the frequency of those of Adventuring Persuasion in Avistan and Tian Xia? (Is there a difference?)

Also what proportion of society would have PC class levels? Is it over 50%?

Thanks so much for the reply.

prototype00

No difference.

A minority of society has PC class levels. I'm always hesitant to give hard numbers to those types of things since folks tend to take them as too "hard coded" rather than general numbers that can and should be adjusted to fit individual play styles. That said, page 253 of Inner Sea World Guide talks a bit about this topic under the section for "Power Levels." Characters with actual PC class levels are not rare, but nor are they uncommon. They're certainly not a majority. If someone held a gun to my head today I'd say probably 35% of the world has class levels, and 75% of those are only 1st or 2nd level.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:

1)I just read a Spoiler on the Dominion of the Black and it is super evil so are there any good/other groups that fight the Dominion of the Black and what are they?

2)Do any of the gods know about the Dominion of the Black and what gods fight against them?

3)Does Iomedae know about the Dominion of the Black?

4)Do the beings of the outer planes have spaceships? (like do Inevitables,Archons and Devils have spaceships)

1) Yes. The primary force that opposes the Dominion of the Black is the church of Desna. There are others, but the Dominion's presence on Golarion is VERY small at this time; they haven't really attracted much attention at all yet in-world, despite how much attention they seem to get on these boards.

2) Yes, of course they know. Gods know lots. They've got a lot more important things to do for the most part. The primary deities who oppose the Dominion of the Black (aka the primary churches who do so) are those of Desna and the Outer Gods/Great Old Ones. No, they don't work together to do so; those two groups hate each other as much as they mutually hate the Dominion,

3) Yes, but they don't regard the Dominion as particularly more dangerous than any other random evil group, and are more focused on things like the Worldwound or the Whispering Tyrant or Cheliax. A typical worshiper of Iomedae wouldn't even know the Dominion exists, but that's the same for most mortals.

4) Unrevealed; they don't have much of a need for them at all though.

The Exchange

Hey James :)

Book question time!

1) Have you had the chance to try out Joe Abercrombie? If you did, did you like them?

2) How about Brandon Sanderson? If you had a chance to read any of his books, would you share your opinion on the magic system it had?

3) Surely you have read at least part of the Wheel of Time. Are there Pathfinder monsters based on any of the creatures there? Because I kind of want to put a grolm in my next PF session :P

4) Another Wheel of Time question: is there any city in Golarion similar to Shadar Logoth (where Mat took the dagger)? A place so tainted with evil that taking hold of any item there could be deadly?

5) Repairman Jack VS. Harry Dresden, who wins?

6) Can you recommend any good, recent horror books (the kind with supernatural elements, not with serial killers/hill billies)?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Silverhand wrote:

How do you pronounce "Jorgenfist"?

Is the J pronounced as a Y thus, Yorgenfist?
Or is the J pronounced as a J as in Jug thus - Jorgenfist?

The J is indeed pronounced like a Y.


James Jacobs wrote:
prototype00 wrote:

Hello James,

Small query, and apologies if it has been asked in the past. I understand that adventurer demographics will vary from region to region, but what is the frequency of those of Adventuring Persuasion in Avistan and Tian Xia? (Is there a difference?)

Also what proportion of society would have PC class levels? Is it over 50%?

Thanks so much for the reply.

prototype00

No difference.

A minority of society has PC class levels. I'm always hesitant to give hard numbers to those types of things since folks tend to take them as too "hard coded" rather than general numbers that can and should be adjusted to fit individual play styles. That said, page 253 of Inner Sea World Guide talks a bit about this topic under the section for "Power Levels." Characters with actual PC class levels are not rare, but nor are they uncommon. They're certainly not a majority. If someone held a gun to my head today I'd say probably 35% of the world has class levels, and 75% of those are only 1st or 2nd level.

Is this a cry for help? Is there a wild, gun-toting Goblin loose in the office right now? Do we need to post flyers in various taverns asking for help?

Will we get a Paizo AP... for realsies!?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:

1)How common is blonde hair in Avistan?

2)Where would one most likely find blonde hair in Avistan?

3)Are there people with blonde hair in Casmaron?

1) Common.

2) On Ulfens, Varisians, Elves, Half-Elves, Halflings, and Taldans for the most part, but certainly not limited to those races/ethnicities.

3) Yes.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:
How does Lamashtu feel about male pregnancy?

Amused.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ohako wrote:

Here's a question: where is the love?

1. How come there is no oracle mystery of love?
2. How come no spiritualist's phantom's emotional focus is love (a la the movie 'Ghost')?
3. How come there is no witch's patron of Love? (u, I dunno, if Glinda was actually a nice person, maybe that would be her patron?)
4. I have no idea what a 'love bloodline' would look like...so I'm not going to ask that question...

1) Because we haven't invented one yet.

2) Because the design team has no room in their heart for love? OR: Because we can't put every possible focus into the book OR even into the playtest.

3) Because witch patrons generally aren't emotions. There's no hate or fear or sadness or happiness patrons either.

4) OK.

BONUS ROUND: There is a Love subdomain, for what that's worth.

Silver Crusade

I love the ideas, though.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Mythic Evil Lincoln wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
1) Any way they want. There are no rules governing those fights, by design. A clash between the gods is basically an open invitation to an adventure or story writer to do whatever they want, rules be damned. Check out any of the countless examples of gods fighting in the last several thousand years of mythology and entertainment for examples.
What are the top five (or three, or ten) such examples that spring to your mind?

The first 11 that come to mind would be...

1) The original "Clash of the Titans."
2) Greek mythology, for that matter.
3) ANY mythology, for that matter.
4) Dragonlance
5) The Time of Troubles in the Forgotten Realms.
6) Temple of Elemental Evil
7) Savage Tide
8) Jason and the Argonauts (the movie)
9) Sarenrae (and the rest) vs. Rovagug
10) Desna vs. Ghlaunder.
11) Desna vs. Aolar


Is the twin soul class feature (form beast-bonded witch archetype) actually making a witch take over a body permanently?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Lord Snow wrote:

Hey James :)

Book question time!

1) Have you had the chance to try out Joe Abercrombie? If you did, did you like them?

2) How about Brandon Sanderson? If you had a chance to read any of his books, would you share your opinion on the magic system it had?

3) Surely you have read at least part of the Wheel of Time. Are there Pathfinder monsters based on any of the creatures there? Because I kind of want to put a grolm in my next PF session :P

4) Another Wheel of Time question: is there any city in Golarion similar to Shadar Logoth (where Mat took the dagger)? A place so tainted with evil that taking hold of any item there could be deadly?

5) Repairman Jack VS. Harry Dresden, who wins?

6) Can you recommend any good, recent horror books (the kind with supernatural elements, not with serial killers/hill billies)?

1) Nope. Have been reading other stuff.

2) Nope. Have been reading other stuff.

3) Not a fan of those books. As far as I know, there are no Pathfinder monsters based on those books, but I believe WotC released some Wheel of Time books for 3rd edition a decade or so ago.

4) I have no idea what that city is. There are places like that though, but they're MOSTLY on the outer planes like Hell or Abaddon or the Abyss, but there are some material plane places that would qualify. Carcosa comes to mind.

5) Repairman Jack, hands down, no contest whatsoever.

6) I've not yet started it, but Stephen King's new book, "Revival," is sounding like a good choice—it's supposedly the scariest thing he's written since Pet Semetery, and has some Machen/Lovecraft stuff in it to boot. I've mostly been reading short story collections lately. The Black Wings series are great. The Last Revalation of Gla'aki is great. And it's hardly recent, but if you haven't read "The Ceremonies" by T.E.D. Klein... do so.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Tels wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
prototype00 wrote:

Hello James,

Small query, and apologies if it has been asked in the past. I understand that adventurer demographics will vary from region to region, but what is the frequency of those of Adventuring Persuasion in Avistan and Tian Xia? (Is there a difference?)

Also what proportion of society would have PC class levels? Is it over 50%?

Thanks so much for the reply.

prototype00

No difference.

A minority of society has PC class levels. I'm always hesitant to give hard numbers to those types of things since folks tend to take them as too "hard coded" rather than general numbers that can and should be adjusted to fit individual play styles. That said, page 253 of Inner Sea World Guide talks a bit about this topic under the section for "Power Levels." Characters with actual PC class levels are not rare, but nor are they uncommon. They're certainly not a majority. If someone held a gun to my head today I'd say probably 35% of the world has class levels, and 75% of those are only 1st or 2nd level.

Is this a cry for help? Is there a wild, gun-toting Goblin loose in the office right now? Do we need to post flyers in various taverns asking for help?

Will we get a Paizo AP... for realsies!?

I have no idea how that post could be interpreted as a cry for help... so... no?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
lucky7 wrote:
I love the ideas, though.

Not sure which of the ideas in this thousand-plus page thread you're talking about, but nonetheless, excellent!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Trizcondronius wrote:
Is the twin soul class feature (form beast-bonded witch archetype) actually making a witch take over a body permanently?

No idea. That's a question for the rules/FAQ for the book that archetype appeared in.


James Jacobs wrote:
Trizcondronius wrote:
Is the twin soul class feature (form beast-bonded witch archetype) actually making a witch take over a body permanently?
No idea. That's a question for the rules/FAQ for the book that archetype appeared in.

There's nothing about Beast-bonded witch archetype in the FAQ section of Ultimate Magic

I'll anyway annoy you with more rules questions:

1) is a Charging cavalier with a Lance multiplying his strenght on damage? Same question for spirited charge.

2)Is the range of a Firearm considered his first range increment?

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Since the topic of taking things away from Carcosa has arisen...

So, awhile back, I posted that I'd created an adventure where Carcosa turns its attention to Sandpoint, and begins attempting to steal that town from Golarion. The good news: my PCs were successful! Bad news: in following Cyrdak's trail, one of my PCs had consensual sex with a male "prostitute" in Carcosa.

I've already settled on what the consequences of this should be: rather than going the hackneyed "your female PC had sex with a demon/devil/anything, so now she's pregnant" route, I went a different direction. She has a -1 penalty to pretty much everything, cumulative for every week that she doesn't have sex with someone. It resets to zero at that point, but every person she has sex with now receives visions of the Yellow Sign. In essence, she's a supernatural Typhoid Mary, and the people she's unintentionally corrupting will sow the seeds of madness throughout Golarion.

So, my question: what would you have done if one of your players had a dalliance as something as insidiously malevolent as a Carcosan being? Something like my solution? Something worse?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Trizcondronius wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Trizcondronius wrote:
Is the twin soul class feature (form beast-bonded witch archetype) actually making a witch take over a body permanently?
No idea. That's a question for the rules/FAQ for the book that archetype appeared in.

There's nothing about Beast-bonded witch archetype in the FAQ section of Ultimate Magic

I'll anyway annoy you with more rules questions:

1) is a Charging cavalier with a Lance multiplying his strenght on damage? Same question for spirited charge.

2)Is the range of a Firearm considered his first range increment?

Whether or not there's something in a book's FAQ has no bearing on whether or not that question can or can't be asked today or in the future.

And I'll annoy you with more "Take rules questions to the rulebook thread where the question can be tagged with an FAQ request for the design team to see and answer." Sorry. I don't answer rules questions here, per Paizo policy.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Misroi wrote:

Since the topic of taking things away from Carcosa has arisen...

So, awhile back, I posted that I'd created an adventure where Carcosa turns its attention to Sandpoint, and begins attempting to steal that town from Golarion. The good news: my PCs were successful! Bad news: in following Cyrdak's trail, one of my PCs had consensual sex with a male "prostitute" in Carcosa.

I've already settled on what the consequences of this should be: rather than going the hackneyed "your female PC had sex with a demon/devil/anything, so now she's pregnant" route, I went a different direction. She has a -1 penalty to pretty much everything, cumulative for every week that she doesn't have sex with someone. It resets to zero at that point, but every person she has sex with now receives visions of the Yellow Sign. In essence, she's a supernatural Typhoid Mary, and the people she's unintentionally corrupting will sow the seeds of madness throughout Golarion.

So, my question: what would you have done if one of your players had a dalliance as something as insidiously malevolent as a Carcosan being? Something like my solution? Something worse?

I've got plans for how Carcosa works. I'm not ready to reveal them yet, but the smallest of hints appeared in my design work for Hastur in Bestiary 4, or in my article about the elder mythos in Carrion Crown #4.

As such, I'm not ready to say much more on the topic. AKA: The stars are not yet right.


James Jacobs wrote:
Trizcondronius wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Trizcondronius wrote:
Is the twin soul class feature (form beast-bonded witch archetype) actually making a witch take over a body permanently?
No idea. That's a question for the rules/FAQ for the book that archetype appeared in.

There's nothing about Beast-bonded witch archetype in the FAQ section of Ultimate Magic

I'll anyway annoy you with more rules questions:

1) is a Charging cavalier with a Lance multiplying his strenght on damage? Same question for spirited charge.

2)Is the range of a Firearm considered his first range increment?

Whether or not there's something in a book's FAQ has no bearing on whether or not that question can or can't be asked today or in the future.

And I'll annoy you with more "Take rules questions to the rulebook thread where the question can be tagged with an FAQ request for the design team to see and answer." Sorry. I don't answer rules questions here, per Paizo policy.

Ok sorry i'll do ; i'm not very skilled about the many section of the messagerbords :((


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Hmm, could be hard to phrase as a question but...

If enough of us suggested that you should read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn, would you?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Seannoss wrote:

Hmm, could be hard to phrase as a question but...

If enough of us suggested that you should read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn, would you?

Probably not.

I'm a voracious reader... but I'm an even MORE voracious book buyer. I've got dozens of still-unread books I've bought over the past days/weeks/months/years that are waiting for me to pick up and read, and it's tough for me to set aside a book that I decided I want to read to instead read a book someone else recommended, unless I know that person personally and that person knows me personally and thus knows my tastes well enough that I can trust those tastes to be accurate.

And I'll tell you right off the bat... fantasy is NOT my favorite genre to read unless it's really dark and gritty and mature—like George Martin's stuff is. I much prefer horror.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:

1) Page 27 of Ultimate Equipment.

2) This sounds like a request for plot spoiling/player advice that would be better for a character to learn while investigating her background in the course of the adventure path. Let your GM know you want to prepare such a speech so your GM can make sure to give your character plenty of options to make those discoveries that you can then later capitalize upon.

3) Yes, they allow it.

4) Yes. In fact, there's a LOT of swordlords who have abandoned their ties and have left the region to spread the teaching illegally throughout the Inner Sea region. The swordlords are BASICALLY a western version of the samurai, and those who turn their backs on tradition are basically western versions of ronin.

1) Okay. That answers part of my question, but I'm still confused about something. When it says it's "thinner" than a scimitar, does that mean the blade is kind of bendy like a rapier, or that the blade itself is narrower than the average scimitar, but still behaves very similarly to one?

2) I asked on the AP's official section, but the question seems to have been ignored. I'm just wondering because I was planning on basically creating my PC to be a foil of Allevrah.

3) Okay, thank you!

4) Would such "ronin" swordlords still be allowed to take the prestige class? I'm interested in creating a character whose view is "The Swordlords are great duelists, but as an army and as leaders they're terrible, more concerned with themselves and their honor than getting the things a nation must do done. That's why they lost to Choral the Conqueror, and why they'll never overthrow the Surtovas unless they're willing to change." When the Kingmaker AP starts, he sees an opportunity to stand as an example to the other swordlords, that there's honor not just in how many duels you win, but also in being a skilled administrator, general and diplomat...basically like Charlemagne (who I'm ripping off shamelessly for the chassis of the concept). My point is, would he still be allowed to take the Aldori Swordlord prestige class, or would that be barred to him as no swordlord would accept him as one of their own? I know Kingmaker doesn't really involve the swordlords beyond their schemes being the catalyst for the PCs presence in the Stolen Lands, but I'm looking to build a solid narrative and character for it all the same.

5) Do the Swordlords of the Swordpact have an official symbol or crest? If so, what does it look like?

6) I'm struggling to come up with a weapon choice for that elven character I mentioned. I don't want to use something I've used before (polearms, two-handed weapons, swords) but at the same time using a ranged weapon just seems too obvious and stereotypical. What should I do?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

1) Page 27 of Ultimate Equipment.

2) This sounds like a request for plot spoiling/player advice that would be better for a character to learn while investigating her background in the course of the adventure path. Let your GM know you want to prepare such a speech so your GM can make sure to give your character plenty of options to make those discoveries that you can then later capitalize upon.

3) Yes, they allow it.

4) Yes. In fact, there's a LOT of swordlords who have abandoned their ties and have left the region to spread the teaching illegally throughout the Inner Sea region. The swordlords are BASICALLY a western version of the samurai, and those who turn their backs on tradition are basically western versions of ronin.

1) Okay. That answers part of my question, but I'm still confused about something. When it says it's "thinner" than a scimitar, does that mean the blade is kind of bendy like a rapier, or that the blade itself is narrower than the average scimitar, but still behaves very similarly to one?

2) I asked on the AP's official section, but the question seems to have been ignored. I'm just wondering because I was planning on basically creating my PC to be a foil of Allevrah.

3) Okay, thank you!

4) Would such "ronin" swordlords still be allowed to take the prestige class? I'm interested in creating a character whose view is "The Swordlords are great duelists, but as an army and as leaders they're terrible, more concerned with themselves and their honor than getting the things a nation must do done. That's why they lost to Choral the Conqueror, and why they'll never overthrow the Surtovas unless they're willing to change." When the Kingmaker AP starts, he sees an opportunity to stand as an example to the other swordlords, that there's honor not just in how many duels you win, but also in being a skilled administrator, general and diplomat...basically like Charlemagne (who I'm ripping off shamelessly for the chassis of the concept). My point is, would he still be allowed to take the Aldori Swordlord prestige class, or would that be barred to him as no swordlord would accept him as one of their own? I know Kingmaker doesn't really involve the swordlords beyond their schemes being the catalyst for the PCs presence in the Stolen Lands, but I'm looking to build a solid narrative and character for it all the same.

5) Do the Swordlords of the Swordpact have an official symbol or crest? If so, what does it look like?

6) I'm struggling to come up with a weapon choice for that elven character I mentioned. I don't want to use something I've used before (polearms, two-handed weapons, swords) but at the same time using a ranged weapon just seems too obvious and stereotypical. What should I do?

1) Thinner means that it's not as wide. The blade is not "bendy," just narrower than the scimitar. Narrower than a falchion is probably a better comparasion.

2) And I'm not answering because I'm hesitant to give away all of an NPC's complex backstory in a post to a player of that campaign. Ask your GM for advice; he or she is the one who gets to decide how much of that information you get for free and how much you have to earn in play.

4) Yes, they're allowed, as long as they meet the prerequisites.

5) They do but we haven't described it yet.

6) Ummmm... it sounds like your only criteria is "I don't want to use something I've used before." Roll on the random weapon chart of your choice until you roll a weapon you haven't used before if that's the only criteria. I can't build your character for you. Well... I COULD... but I won't. For time management reasons.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:

1) Thinner means that it's not as wide. The blade is not "bendy," just narrower than the scimitar. Narrower than a falchion is probably a better comparasion.

2) And I'm not answering because I'm hesitant to give away all of an NPC's complex backstory in a post to a player of that campaign. Ask your GM for advice; he or she is the one who gets to decide how much of that information you get for free and how much you have to earn in play.

4) Yes, they're allowed, as long as they meet the prerequisites.

5) They do but we haven't described it yet.

6) Ummmm... it sounds like your only criteria is "I don't want to use something I've used before." Roll on the random weapon chart of your choice until you roll a weapon you haven't used before if that's the only criteria. I can't build your character for you. Well... I COULD... but I won't. For time management reasons.

1) Okay. Just to clarify, the width you're referring to is from edge-to-edge, rather than the blade's "thickness" for lack of a better term, right? Just want to make sure I'm on the same page you are.

2) I understand. I confess to being metagamey here, I already own all the Second Darkness books, and am trying to re-read them to figure out the best stuff to use. It's less a matter of not knowing the story and more trying to interpret said story. It's less "what's her backstory" and more "what themes does she as a character represent." I suppose it kind of sounds silly to treat an AP like I'm writing an academic paper on it, doesn't it?

4) Okay, thanks. I suppose he could always say "I haven't betrayed the Swordpact. I just think it's way too narrowly focused on what activities are and are not acceptable to be practical."

5) Okay. I'll just have to be vague when mentioning it then until an official picture's available or something.

6) "Nothing I haven't used before AND nothing too cliche," actually. For instance, it seems cliche for an elf character in a campaign about elves to use a bow. It just seems...unoriginal, cookie-cutter. Know what I mean?

50,551 to 50,600 of 78,950 << first < prev | 1007 | 1008 | 1009 | 1010 | 1011 | 1012 | 1013 | 1014 | 1015 | 1016 | 1017 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.