>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

50,351 to 50,400 of 78,954 << first < prev | 1003 | 1004 | 1005 | 1006 | 1007 | 1008 | 1009 | 1010 | 1011 | 1012 | 1013 | next > last >>

If a pc where to go to Abadar's realm what can they expect to see?(inner sea gods does not seem to say much about the gods realms)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Cdawg wrote:

Who actually makes or designs the garments that the succubi wear?

On a slightly more serious lore note, if it's appropriate to ask here:

The Starstone can grant all sorts of thing, including mythic power or the highest reward being deification. You've mentioned (and I paraphrase) that gods are basically a generic term for an entity that can grant divine spellcasting ability and has domains, and that they're mainly classified as deity (no-stats, unknowably powerful), demigods (less domains, CR26+) and unoficialy quasi-gods such as the living Arazni and source mythic heroes.

Most of the Starstone imbued divines appear to start off as demigods. Aroden was physically present and active in Golarion post ascension, Cayden Cailean may have stepped back into the world before springing up into the heavens, and Iomedae didn't seem to make the jump from demigod for quite some time during her service to Aroden.

The question is, in your conception, can the Starstone elevate a mortal to full deity or just to demigod level. For a person who succeeded at the test for a reward of demigodhood, would it push a character to the lowest level of demigodhood (around CR26) or can it go higher (e.g. bump to CR 30)?

Is the Starstone sentient? How does it determine what reward to dole out? Is there another intelligence guiding it (the GM! Bwahaha).

Anyone the succubus wants to.

The Starstone can only elevate one to demigod level. The ascension to deity has to happen after that point.

For PCs... using CRs is not a good idea. CR is a measurement of a creature's power as a combat foe, not a measurement of a PC.

As for the Starstone being aware... that's currently unrevealed, but it's very likely.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Does Minkai (or any of its sister nations like Jinin or Shokuro) have a sumo tradition? If so, is it segregated as a men-only sport like in our world, or are women recognized as legitimate wrestlers as well?

Haven't thought at all about this.

Were I TO think about it, I would say yes, they do have a sumo tradition that generally focuses on men.

By "generally focused" do you mean it's not as segregated to the extent that female sumo are at least recognized and legitimate, as opposed to the real world where women are actively barred from the sport? More "not as common" than "not allowed?"

By "generally focused" I mean I don't know enough about it yet to make an informed decision. I'd have to research all about sumo traditions before I make those design choices. I don't know enough about it to know what decision is the most interesting in-world, or the most responsible in this world.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
xavier c wrote:
If a pc where to go to Abadar's realm what can they expect to see?(inner sea gods does not seem to say much about the gods realms)

Unrevealed.

That's something I hope to do more about some day—to detail more about what the divine realms are actually like. At this point, we haven't done much about it, and this is not the place to break the ice on that enormous iceberg of development and design.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Draco Bahamut wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

All part of the reason why we didn't make the change. It's close, but not exact, and so it's easier to keep the name than retcon it once it went public.

In any event... we DO try to avoid naming characters names that sound silly or offensive in ANY language... but we don't speak that many languages here at Paizo, and sometimes that sort of thing HAS to fall on the translators to fix.

I don't believe it could be helped. I am from a region from Brazil called Bahia, we have a variant portuguese dialect that use a lot word from Africa's languages (mostly Yoruba). Here at my tables we can't take Abadar serious because Abadah is the name of a festive suit we dress to get into parties during carnaval (our festive season). Sarenrae sounds too close to Sarará (our word for bad afro hair). Varisia sounds too close to a varicose veins, so somepeople think that all Varisians have them.

In these cases you would prefer that we keep the original or create a close enough name ?

I would generally always prefer to keep the original. That goes for foreign content being translated into english, frankly. I would MUCH rather see as much as possible of the original creator's intent, rather than see a regionalized version of it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Neongelion wrote:

Ni hao James,

As per usual I'm here to pick your brains about a certain adventure path...

Iron Jocks Spoilers

Spoiler:
What is your advice for portraying Hellion when he explains just what an AI is to the party? To be specific: he knows (or ought to know) that robots, technically, are AI. To him, what sets him apart from them? Does he truly know the differences, if any?
Also: did Karamoss ever speak with, or at least became aware of Unity? Surely Unity was at least aware of his presence.


AIs use very similar rules to the crafting of intelligent weapons and magic items. He'd explain his role in those terms, or as a "spirit" or "ghost" inhabiting the robot or device.

Karamoss only scratched the surface of Silver Mount, relatively speaking, and Unity wasn't yet "out of his shell" at that point. Karamoss did haste Unity's waking, but that's about it.


James Jacobs wrote:

1) Bone priests are meant to be "reverse huecuvas" in a way. Undead spellcasters of a relatively low level. I don't think that they fit Nualia that well at all. It'd be better to either have Lamashtu bring her back to life, or to turn her into a demon in the afterlife and then send her back to replace/destroy the Scribbler, so that the PCs can encounter her there as, for example, a demon of your choice with all of Nualia's cleric levels. A demon that can change or disguise its shape works best; in fact, you can simply use the glabrezu already in the dungeon for this purpose.

2) Not really. Seems better for an undead themed deity like Urgathoa or an undead themed demon lord like Kabriri, Zura, or Orcus. Lamashtu's minions are classically demons or (living) monsters.

3) I wouldn't make her undead, and this is just one more reason why I would avoid it. An undead creature would not benefit (nor could it have) the feat.

Thanks for the reply! This is why I really like getting answers from you. I'd already written up a statblock for her bone priest form but I'd hate to do something inappropriate for a character or deity. I do have a few more questions, though, if you'll permit.

1) As Nualia only died about two months previous in game, is that enough time for her to ascend to demonhood from being a larval petitioner?

2) I assume Lamashtu would have to have an active hand in her ascension, but she also seems like a wrathful deity. Would she be interested in seeing if a failed disciple could succeed where she previously failed? Especially in the body of such a powerful demon as a Glabrezu?

3) You mentioned she might be sent to replace the scribbler, but could you also see them working together? It's been mentioned that Lamashtu has big plans for the Lost Coast region (still mystery, of course). I could see them working together as a major power play by Lamashtu in order to really advance her agenda.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ThedreadedSoole wrote:

James,

My players are just starting “Escape from Old Korvosa” and to kick things off they are going to a splendid dinner party hosted by the queen in Castle Korvosa. I suspect they will try to attack the queen (an event I will use to reinforce that they have no idea what they’re dealing with).
How advanced should Ileosa be at this point in the story?

Spoiler:
1. Obviously she has the Crown of Fangs, but does she have any of her other badass items? (namely the Ring of Splendid Security, or her +4 Dancing Iceburst Rapier)Should I give her the cloak of flight that way the party’s monk can’t as easily sprint over and snatch the crown off of her head?
2. Has she successfully negotiated for the Devilbound template yet?
3. What level should she be? Aristocrat 1/bard 10 sound good?
4. Other than Grey Maidens and Red Mantis Assassins, has Ileosa managed to recruit Torgomor or any of her feindish minions? Has she created any False Ileosas yet?


Thanks!

P.S. Thank you for Curse of the Crimson Throne :D.

Answers in spoiler...

Spoiler:
For all of these questions, you need to first ask yourself if you want the PCs to have a chance at all to defeat her. If you do, then she should be at a level where she and her allies make an encounter of a CR equal to about the Average Party Level +3 or +4. If you don't want them to have a chance, then go ahead and use her final stats as presented in the last adventure (or maybe a few levels less)... and let the pieces land where they may if the PCs attack her.

Frankly, I wouldn't risk this at that level, unless you're comfortable with the end result being a TPK or a sudden success that makes the last 3 adventures meaningless.

Having them interact first with a False Ileosa is a good compromise, though. If the PCs are just starting Escape, they're at a point where a fight against a False Ileosa and a few minions would be a good fight... but that has a HUGE chance to completely derail the buildup and the storyline and all that.

I recommend not doing a dinner party with the queen in the castle if you want to continue with the campaign as written.

If you are comfortable going off the rails, having the PCs have a dinner with a False Ileosa could be fun, but you'll need to be ready to take the campaign in all sorts of unexpected directions. There's a LOT of resources out there for Korvosa and Varisia adventures, so you'll have lots of inspiration and stuff to draw from, if you do this.

But it won't be the 2nd half as written.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Nargemn wrote:

1) As Nualia only died about two months previous in game, is that enough time for her to ascend to demonhood from being a larval petitioner?

2) I assume Lamashtu would have to have an active hand in her ascension, but she also seems like a wrathful deity. Would she be interested in seeing if a failed disciple could succeed where she previously failed? Especially in the body of such a powerful demon as a Glabrezu?

3) You mentioned she might be sent to replace the scribbler, but could you also see them working together? It's been mentioned that Lamashtu has big plans for the Lost Coast region (still mystery, of course). I could see them working together as a major power play by Lamashtu in order to really advance her agenda.

1) The time needed to go through that transition is nebulous, particularly because time doesn't flow quite the same for souls in the Boneyard. It could take centuries. It could take seconds. It's whatever works best for your storyline.

2) She's also chaotic, and a deity, and both of those move in mysterious ways. She might view Nualia's death by PC hands as her last test—if Nualia remains devoted to Lamashtu even after death, she might be rewarded with glabrezu form, for example. Or perhaps Lamashtu is annoyed enough that she grants Nualia this boon more or less just to spite the PCs and to mess with their heads—to make them think that if they'd never killed Nualia, perhaps this glabrezu would never have come after them, and maybe event he sinkhole wouldn't have opened in Sandpoint in the first place.

3) Sure! Working together would make for a less complicated rewriting of that portion of the adventure for sure. I only mentioned her being sent to replace the Scribbler because I assumed from your post that was your goal.[/spoiler]


James Jacobs wrote:
Draco Bahamut wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

All part of the reason why we didn't make the change. It's close, but not exact, and so it's easier to keep the name than retcon it once it went public.

In any event... we DO try to avoid naming characters names that sound silly or offensive in ANY language... but we don't speak that many languages here at Paizo, and sometimes that sort of thing HAS to fall on the translators to fix.

I don't believe it could be helped. I am from a region from Brazil called Bahia, we have a variant portuguese dialect that use a lot word from Africa's languages (mostly Yoruba). Here at my tables we can't take Abadar serious because Abadah is the name of a festive suit we dress to get into parties during carnaval (our festive season). Sarenrae sounds too close to Sarará (our word for bad afro hair). Varisia sounds too close to a varicose veins, so somepeople think that all Varisians have them.

In these cases you would prefer that we keep the original or create a close enough name ?

I would generally always prefer to keep the original. That goes for foreign content being translated into english, frankly. I would MUCH rather see as much as possible of the original creator's intent, rather than see a regionalized version of it.

I completely agree. I only read/watch stuff in the original language if I can help it (if I can understand the language, of course... so English, Portuguese and Spanish. Otherwise, subtitles will do)

And again, for what's worth... I lived most of my life in Brazil and never made any of the connections cited by Bahamut Dragon. And I often visit my mom in Bahia. I guess I just never thought of it because whenever I don't usually play RPGs when I visit Bahia...

BTW, what language (other than English) has the most Pathfinder material translated to? French? German? Spanish? Something else?


James Jacobs wrote:
3) Sure! Working together would make for a less complicated rewriting of that portion of the adventure for sure. I only mentioned her being sent to replace the Scribbler because I assumed from your post that was your goal.[/spoiler]

Nope! I love the Scribbler and have been really looking forward to including him in the game. With all of this in mind, I really look forward to their descent under Sandpoint. Thank you for answering my questions, it really means alot. You do great work and are one of the big reasons I've come to love Paizo as much as I have. Hope you have a wonderful rest of the day!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Lemmy wrote:
BTW, what language (other than English) has the most Pathfinder material translated to? French? German? Spanish? Something else?

I'm not sure, but I'd guess either French or Spanish.


James Jacobs wrote:
Lemmy wrote:
BTW, what language (other than English) has the most Pathfinder material translated to? French? German? Spanish? Something else?
I'm not sure, but I'd guess either French or Spanish.

Spanish


James, I've been wondering about many of the races that have come out in the suplementals in reference to Advanced Race Guide as to how they might "add up" as it ewere with RP, and how other monstrous traits (such as Mariliths (and other creatures from the Biestiaries) Multiweapon Mastery for example) might cost in RP. I've also wondered how much Templated features might cost or if it is possiblet to ad a RP cost to the features gained from a template that is added to a character.

I see that you are a very busy person, so if and when you are able to answer these questions or point me in the right direction I will be cery greatful! Thank you for your time and patience!

Dark Archive

James, what classes, other than the monk or brawler, would could make a mystical martial artist?


Do elves view Iomedae as a human and are there elves that worship Iomedae?


ulgulanoth wrote:
James, what classes, other than the monk or brawler, would could make a mystical martial artist?

Sacred Fist Warpriest?

prototype00

Dark Archive

James Jacobs wrote:
ThedreadedSoole wrote:

James,

My players are just starting “Escape from Old Korvosa” and to kick things off they are going to a splendid dinner party hosted by the queen in Castle Korvosa. I suspect they will try to attack the queen (an event I will use to reinforce that they have no idea what they’re dealing with).
How advanced should Ileosa be at this point in the story?

** spoiler omitted **
Thanks!

P.S. Thank you for Curse of the Crimson Throne :D.

Answers in spoiler...

** spoiler omitted **...

I am fully prepared for an off the rails adventure.

Curse of the Crimson Throne:

my party has grown frustrated with their inability to confront the queen whom they rightly suspected was responsible for the Blood Veil from the get-go. (You have no idea how hard it was to distract them from B-lining for the Hospice of the Blessed Maiden at the beginning of "Seven Days to the Grave").

Bla bla bla. Complicated roadmap of branching plot paths... basically all roads will lead to the Arkonas (either in Korvosa or abroad), which leads to the sun shaman, which leads to scarwall, and then finally back to Korvosa. The story will happen.

Any violent confrontation will (hopefully) lead a total party capture (and then total party jailbreak). I don't want to punish the party for taking a daring chance to end the queen's evil prematurely (high risk, high reward). The fight should be hard, but not unfair.

1. I'm really just curious: what resources do you think Ileosa has been able to muster up to this point in the story?
2. On a related note, how do you think Ileosa would use the spell "Unconcious Agenda" to plant ticking time-bomb commands on PCs and their NPC allies?

Thanks! :)


James Jacobs wrote:
deuxhero wrote:
Pharasma hates undead: Is this only a restriction on her clergy, or does it effect her soul judging stuff as well?
Undead prevent a soul from being judged. As long as you're undead, your soul is trapped. That's why pretty much all undead are evil. Being undead throws a monkey wrench into the cycle of souls and life, and that's why Pharasma hates them.

Bringing up an oldie, but a goodie.

Does this mean that Wizards who have discovered Immortality (via the arcane discovery) are also inherently evil, because they too are disrupting the natural order of the judgement of (their) soul?

Also, how does this logic apply to corpses who are long dead but only recently raised?
I assume the logic for Golarion is that judgement happens at or near the moment of death. So, to skip that moment by becoming undead instead of just dying (such as with the creation of a Lich, for example) perfectly follows your logic. But are you suggesting that the 100 year old battlefield littered with buried dead haven't been judged yet? After all, their corpses can be raised, and if raising undead prevents their soul from being properly judged and sent on to it's personal afterlife, then why were all these souls stuck in 100 years of limbo?
What about the 15,000 year old T-Rex skeleton that a necromancer finds? Why couldn't the dino get a soul judgement in all that time?

[I promise, I'm not being snarky! I really am curious about these! :) ]

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Elves of Golarion mentions something known as "The Brightness." Apparently it is a journey of self discovery that elves may choose to undergo to reach some sort of enlightenment.

  • 1. Does an elf know when he/she does actions that would help him to find her/his brightness?
  • 2. What happens if an elf (as I suppose many do) chooses not to seek their brightness? I sincerely hope it isn't as severe as the bleaching is to the gnomes...
  • 3. Since the brightness is a form of self perfection, does Irori inspire elven followers to seek it?
  • 4. If yes, how does he facilitate their journey?
  • 5. If an elf is affected by reincarnate do they lose their brightness? Do they lose their ability to find it? What if they had already attained it?
  • 6. Likewise, if someone is reincarnate-d into an elf, do they gain the ability to seek the brightness?
  • 7. Lastly, if you were an elf, what would you suspect your brightness to be?

Sorry for the many questions, but self discovery is a big thing for me, and the fact that elves have this tool to attain that is a wonderful concept.


Dustin Ashe wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Lemmy wrote:
BTW, what language (other than English) has the most Pathfinder material translated to? French? German? Spanish? Something else?
I'm not sure, but I'd guess either French or Spanish.
Spanish

I am still waiting the pathfinder tales in spanish :(


Hi James,

"per two levels"
Certain spells use the above verbage.
Vampiric touch
create pit

My question is how does it increase?

for create pit...the depth is 10ft per two levels.
My interpretation is....

level 1 10ft
level 2 10ft
level 3 20ft
level 4 20ft
level 5 30ft(max)

My friends interpretation is....

level 1 10ft(minimum)
level 2 10ft
level 3 10ft (3 divided by 2 rounded down)
level 4 20ft
level 5 20ft (5 divided by 2 rounded down)
level 6 30ft (maximum)

Please let me know which interpretation is correct. Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers,
Timbo234


Nicos wrote:
Dustin Ashe wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Lemmy wrote:
BTW, what language (other than English) has the most Pathfinder material translated to? French? German? Spanish? Something else?
I'm not sure, but I'd guess either French or Spanish.
Spanish
I am still waiting the pathfinder tales in spanish :(

Read them in English, friend. You obviously have a good enough English to communicate well with people, so reading the books shouldn't be much of a problem. You can use context to deduce the meaning of whatever term you don't know.

IMO, it's always best to read a work in its original language. It's fun, and a good Linguistics exercise.


Lemmy wrote:
Nicos wrote:
Dustin Ashe wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Lemmy wrote:
BTW, what language (other than English) has the most Pathfinder material translated to? French? German? Spanish? Something else?
I'm not sure, but I'd guess either French or Spanish.
Spanish
I am still waiting the pathfinder tales in spanish :(

Read them in English, friend. You obviously have a good enough English to communicate well with people, so reading the books shouldn't be much of a problem. You can use context to deduce the meaning of whatever term you don't know.

IMO, it's always best to read a work in its original language. It's fun, and a good Linguistics exercise.

Well, I'm more accustomed to technical language (from reading math texts), literature on the other hand have proven to be problematic and frustrating for me (or perhaps it is because stuffs like paradise lost are hard to read).


Nicos wrote:
Well, I'm more accustomed to technical language (from reading math texts), literature on the other hand have proven to be problematic and frustrating for me (or perhaps it is because stuffs like paradise lost are hard to read).

Practice makes perfect. I honestly believe your grasp of English is good enough to read the Pathfinder Tales novels and enjoy their stories.

Hey, you can start by reading the Web Fiction tales. They are short but very entertaining, and can give you a good measure of how much difficulty you'd have with the books, since they are written by many of the same authors and even include the same characters.

But let's not further derail JJ's thread.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
AOKost wrote:

James, I've been wondering about many of the races that have come out in the suplementals in reference to Advanced Race Guide as to how they might "add up" as it ewere with RP, and how other monstrous traits (such as Mariliths (and other creatures from the Biestiaries) Multiweapon Mastery for example) might cost in RP. I've also wondered how much Templated features might cost or if it is possiblet to ad a RP cost to the features gained from a template that is added to a character.

I see that you are a very busy person, so if and when you are able to answer these questions or point me in the right direction I will be cery greatful! Thank you for your time and patience!

I would STRONGLY recommend you don't apply the race building rules to monsters that powerful. Monsters as a whole are designed not to be played by player characters, and as such, a lot of their powers, particularly when you get to more powerful monsters like mariliths, are simply and completely inappropriate for a PC race to have.

Furthermore, using the race building rules to build monsters isn't a good idea because it unnecessarily hinders and blocks creativity. For monsters, you don't have to worry about how their powers add up—it's as much (if not more) art as it is science and math to build a great new monster, and in my opinion, something like the race builder guide hampers the art of monster design.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ulgulanoth wrote:
James, what classes, other than the monk or brawler, would could make a mystical martial artist?

With the right archetypes, feats, skills, and flavor, you could do something like this quite well with ANY class, frankly.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:
Do elves view Iomedae as a human and are there elves that worship Iomedae?

They do and there are.


James Jacobs wrote:
ulgulanoth wrote:
James, what classes, other than the monk or brawler, would could make a mystical martial artist?
With the right archetypes, feats, skills, and flavor, you could do something like this quite well with ANY class, frankly.

I will add a little of multiclassing (it woudl be hard witha wizard, but a wizard/unarmed fighter/EK could work)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ThedreadedSoole wrote:

I am fully prepared for an off the rails adventure.

Spoiler:
1. I'm really just curious: what resources do you think Ileosa has been able to muster up to this point in the story?
2. On a related note, how do you think Ileosa would use the spell "Unconcious Agenda" to plant ticking time-bomb commands on PCs and their NPC allies?

Spoiler:
1) A lot. Frankly, more than the PCs should or could be able to handle by that point. If I were you, I'd set the encounter up as one that the PCs SHOULD avoid combat, but if they do attack, then don't kill them. Let them escape if they try, or if they're too stubborn, capture them alive, take all their gear, and throw them into prison and then have fun with the "escape the prison" adventure.

2) There are a LOT of options there. From the simple ("Next time the party is sneaking, make sure what you're sneaking by hears you!") to the complex ("Every week, send me a detailed update of your allies strengths and weaknesses and accomplishments.") I'd have to go back and study not only the exact rules for the spell, but all of Illeosa's motivations and personality traits to say for sure, and I don't have time to do that at the moment.


Actually out of curiosity how true to life are depictions of Iomedae? I know that a lot of real world religions have art work that is highly localized of various religious figures.
Also it mentions she had an adventuring group in various sources, are they still know at least in setting, or are their identies lost to history?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Neo2151 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
deuxhero wrote:
Pharasma hates undead: Is this only a restriction on her clergy, or does it effect her soul judging stuff as well?
Undead prevent a soul from being judged. As long as you're undead, your soul is trapped. That's why pretty much all undead are evil. Being undead throws a monkey wrench into the cycle of souls and life, and that's why Pharasma hates them.

Bringing up an oldie, but a goodie.

Does this mean that Wizards who have discovered Immortality (via the arcane discovery) are also inherently evil, because they too are disrupting the natural order of the judgement of (their) soul?

Also, how does this logic apply to corpses who are long dead but only recently raised?
I assume the logic for Golarion is that judgement happens at or near the moment of death. So, to skip that moment by becoming undead instead of just dying (such as with the creation of a Lich, for example) perfectly follows your logic. But are you suggesting that the 100 year old battlefield littered with buried dead haven't been judged yet? After all, their corpses can be raised, and if raising undead prevents their soul from being properly judged and sent on to it's personal afterlife, then why were all these souls stuck in 100 years of limbo?
What about the 15,000 year old T-Rex skeleton that a necromancer finds? Why couldn't the dino get a soul judgement in all that time?

[I promise, I'm not being snarky! I really am curious about these! :) ]

No. Note that Pharasma is netural. Doing something against her creed is inherently not neutral, but that means it's as likely good or chaotic or lawful as it is evil.

Wizards who take the lich route or other undead route are evil because becoming undead on purpose is an evil act.

Wizards (and anyone else) who achieves immortality in other ways may or may not be evil; depends on the method chosen. The sun orchid elixir or a class ability isn't evil. And Pharasma knows that even this type of "immortality" isn't forever. The "immortal" wizard might live for 1,000,000 years, but eventually all things die. Especially since the longer you live, the greater your chances are of having a fatal accident.

Judgement does not always happen at the moment of death. It can happen weeks, months, years, or even centuries or more later. It's not a static timetable. This makes the whole process more mysterious, but it also allows for game designers and GMs to build the stories they want. Time doesn't really exist for the dead souls in the Boneyard, so to them, 1 second and 100 years feels the same—an instant and forever at the same time.

The in-game reason for this is that there ARE limits as to how long something can be dead before it can't be raised. The greatest limit is from true resurrection, which specifically states that you can bring back a creature that's been dead for as long as 10 years per caster level. The fact that that's a variable means we can't have a static number for how long it takes a soul to be judged, but since that's got a soft limit of 200 years for 20th level, that means that in MOST CASES a soul is judged after 200 years. The fact that there are effects and creatures and things that can raise effective caster levels above 20th means that some souls are judged even later.

In effect, Pharasma KNOWS if a soul is going to be resurrected at some point in the future, and in that case, and if she allows it, and if she knows the soul would accept the resurrection, she lets the soul stay in line until that time comes.

A battlefield littered with buried dead has, in all likelihood, all been judged. If one of those dead gets resurrected 100 years after the battle, that soul has NOT been judged, because Pharasma knew it would be resurrected—she knew that soul's death was premature, and allows it to come back.

If those 100 year old dead became undead, then yes, all of them would be prevented from being judged.

If a necromancer finds a dinosaur fossil, and wants to animate it as a skeleton, that still works because mindless undead like skeletons do not require an entire soul; just a fragment. The tiny wisps that remain stuck to the remains are enough. That's enough to prevent someone from resurrecting a zombie, of course, but if enough time has passed in this case, you can't resurrect the bones anyway, so all it does is make a skeleton. In any event, the soul in this case has been judged.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Alayern wrote:

Elves of Golarion mentions something known as "The Brightness." Apparently it is a journey of self discovery that elves may choose to undergo to reach some sort of enlightenment.

  • 1. Does an elf know when he/she does actions that would help him to find her/his brightness?
  • 2. What happens if an elf (as I suppose many do) chooses not to seek their brightness? I sincerely hope it isn't as severe as the bleaching is to the gnomes...
  • 3. Since the brightness is a form of self perfection, does Irori inspire elven followers to seek it?
  • 4. If yes, how does he facilitate their journey?
  • 5. If an elf is affected by reincarnate do they lose their brightness? Do they lose their ability to find it? What if they had already attained it?
  • 6. Likewise, if someone is reincarnate-d into an elf, do they gain the ability to seek the brightness?
  • 7. Lastly, if you were an elf, what would you suspect your brightness to be?

Sorry for the many questions, but self discovery is a big thing for me, and the fact that elves have this tool to attain that is a wonderful concept.

1) Yes, if the elf is a follower of the philosophy. It's not a racial thing. It's a philosophical thing.

2) Nothing at all. "The Brightness" isn't something that all elves do. It's an elven philosophy, a not-quite religion. Those elves who follow the Brightness seek to reach a level of self-awakening, but those who do not don't. It's not an inborn trait common to all elves, any more than becoming a wizard or fighter or rogue is.

3) It's something that Irori approves of, yes. It may even have inspired him, at least partially, to achieve his own self-perfection.

4) He does not facilitate the journey unless the elf worships Irori. Most do not.

5) An elf that achieves Brightness for real does not want to come back to life, and thus can't be raised or resurrected. That's the whole POINT of the Brightness.

6) Only if they become a follower of the philosophy.

7) I wouldn't follow the philosophy. I don't agree with it.

FINALLY: The Brightness is in large part a relic from the early days of Pathfinder when we were trying to do our best to set our game apart from D&D by coming up with new ways to look at classic races. The Bleaching (for gnomes) is a great example of this, as is the way we re-branded goblins and ogres. In the case of the Brightness, this is something that I was never all that fond of, and the longer I thought of it, the less I liked it. I didn't ret-con it, but I did marginalize it. The big thing that sets our elves apart from D&D is the fact that they're aliens, and that they have unusual eyes, and that they tend to "evolve" as they age if they stay in one region to change, physically, as that region influences. The Brightness is not only unnecessary complexity in my opinion, but from a game-design perspective, it's a bit too similar to a "reverse bleaching" for my tastes.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

timbo2342 wrote:

Hi James,

"per two levels"
Certain spells use the above verbage.
Vampiric touch
create pit

My question is how does it increase?

for create pit...the depth is 10ft per two levels.
My interpretation is....

level 1 10ft
level 2 10ft
level 3 20ft
level 4 20ft
level 5 30ft(max)

My friends interpretation is....

level 1 10ft(minimum)
level 2 10ft
level 3 10ft (3 divided by 2 rounded down)
level 4 20ft
level 5 20ft (5 divided by 2 rounded down)
level 6 30ft (maximum)

Please let me know which interpretation is correct. Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers,
Timbo234

Don't overthink it. It increases exactly as said. Once every 2 levels the stated increase occurs. AKA: every even numbered level. Your friend's list is correct, although still overcomplicated with the rounding going on.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

David Neilson wrote:

Actually out of curiosity how true to life are depictions of Iomedae? I know that a lot of real world religions have art work that is highly localized of various religious figures.

Also it mentions she had an adventuring group in various sources, are they still know at least in setting, or are their identies lost to history?

Iomedae is a really new goddess, and as such, folks do remember her appearance as a human. Her depictions are 100% accurate and true to life, although as a goddess, she can appear as she wishes.

We haven't revealed much more about her old adventuring companions. Yet.


How many subdomains can a deity have? because Iomedae has 9 (Archon, Day, Heroism, Honor, Judgment, Light, Redemption, Revelation, Tactics)


James Jacobs wrote:
xavier c wrote:
Do elves view Iomedae as a human and are there elves that worship Iomedae?
They do and there are.

How do elves feel about worshiping a human?


James what are your top seven favorite pathfinder gods?

Liberty's Edge

Hey James,

1) Though thematically different, Baba Yaga and Cthulhu share a CR an similar level of power. They are both (sort of) from Earth (Cthulhu not originally, but It's gone native for now). How does the Witch Queen feel about the presence of the Old One? She is, inherently, a human taken to extreme levels of power and wisdom while Cthulhu is far beyond humanity by definition. How would these two interact if say, the Stars did come right? It's kind of a a theme-bender, but I'm curious none-the-less how you'd play it. Is Cthulhu and its ilk still so far beyond humanity that even Baba Yaga gets a nervous tik when he stumbles out of his vault?

2) I like to build up a lot of folklore in my games, and I think the Storval Plateau and Kodar mountains are rife with it among the native Varisians in Shoanti. I've made made a few folk-lore style stories about those areas for my PCs to hear around campfires or in taverns by old soothsayers an tribesmen. What are some other odd and spooky bits of lore the natives might have to say about those far-off and mysterious places that might be fun to toss at my players? I've teased them with multiple stories of ancient cities throughout the game, and as I'm running RotRL, they know of but don't know the significance of Xin-Shalast specifically yet among other rumored legendary cities (I'm in early chapter 4 now), and I'd like the cloud the water a little before they find gold.

Thanks!


James Jacobs wrote:
Neo2151 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
deuxhero wrote:
Pharasma hates undead: Is this only a restriction on her clergy, or does it effect her soul judging stuff as well?
Undead prevent a soul from being judged. As long as you're undead, your soul is trapped. That's why pretty much all undead are evil. Being undead throws a monkey wrench into the cycle of souls and life, and that's why Pharasma hates them.

Bringing up an oldie, but a goodie.

Does this mean that Wizards who have discovered Immortality (via the arcane discovery) are also inherently evil, because they too are disrupting the natural order of the judgement of (their) soul?

Also, how does this logic apply to corpses who are long dead but only recently raised?
I assume the logic for Golarion is that judgement happens at or near the moment of death. So, to skip that moment by becoming undead instead of just dying (such as with the creation of a Lich, for example) perfectly follows your logic. But are you suggesting that the 100 year old battlefield littered with buried dead haven't been judged yet? After all, their corpses can be raised, and if raising undead prevents their soul from being properly judged and sent on to it's personal afterlife, then why were all these souls stuck in 100 years of limbo?
What about the 15,000 year old T-Rex skeleton that a necromancer finds? Why couldn't the dino get a soul judgement in all that time?

[I promise, I'm not being snarky! I really am curious about these! :) ]

No. Note that Pharasma is netural. Doing something against her creed is inherently not neutral, but that means it's as likely good or chaotic or lawful as it is evil.

Wizards who take the lich route or other undead route are evil because becoming undead on purpose is an evil act.

Wizards (and anyone else) who achieves immortality in other ways may or may not be evil; depends on the method chosen. The sun orchid elixir or a class ability isn't evil. And Pharasma knows that even this type of...

Can a deity live forever? you know if they are not killed by something

Silver Crusade

HI James, would it be possible for pazio to put out a Spell and feat compendium every year or every other so feats and spells can be updated with errata and it would make it easier for your players to carry around a
compendium.

I have one other question for you. on publishing do you know how pazio
could put out their books in the format used by ibooks or kindle pdf readers are very clunky compared to them.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:
How many subdomains can a deity have? because Iomedae has 9 (Archon, Day, Heroism, Honor, Judgment, Light, Redemption, Revelation, Tactics)

They should have 6... but I know that total's been creeping up in the Players' Guides, which is unfortunate. That said, it's not gonna break things if some deities get more. I would hope we'd try to balance things out in the future though.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
xavier c wrote:
Do elves view Iomedae as a human and are there elves that worship Iomedae?
They do and there are.
How do elves feel about worshiping a human?

1) Iomedae is more than human; she's a goddess, so it's not really a fair comparison.

2) There are plenty of humans who worship Torag and Calistria, so the idea of elves worshiping a non-elf deity is hardly unusual.

Elves who worship Iomedae feel perfectly fine worshiping her. Otherwise they wouldn't worship her.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:
James what are your top seven favorite pathfinder gods?

The first 7 who come to mind are:

Desna
Sarenrae
Calistria
Norgorber
Nocticula
Ghlaunder
Rovagug

Paizo Employee Creative Director

TwiceGreat wrote:

Hey James,

1) Though thematically different, Baba Yaga and Cthulhu share a CR an similar level of power. They are both (sort of) from Earth (Cthulhu not originally, but It's gone native for now). How does the Witch Queen feel about the presence of the Old One? She is, inherently, a human taken to extreme levels of power and wisdom while Cthulhu is far beyond humanity by definition. How would these two interact if say, the Stars did come right? It's kind of a a theme-bender, but I'm curious none-the-less how you'd play it. Is Cthulhu and its ilk still so far beyond humanity that even Baba Yaga gets a nervous tik when he stumbles out of his vault?

2) I like to build up a lot of folklore in my games, and I think the Storval Plateau and Kodar mountains are rife with it among the native Varisians in Shoanti. I've made made a few folk-lore style stories about those areas for my PCs to hear around campfires or in taverns by old soothsayers an tribesmen. What are some other odd and spooky bits of lore the natives might have to say about those far-off and mysterious places that might be fun to toss at my players? I've teased them with multiple stories of ancient cities throughout the game, and as I'm running RotRL, they know of but don't know the significance of Xin-Shalast specifically yet among other rumored legendary cities (I'm in early chapter 4 now), and I'd like the cloud the water a little before they find gold.

Thanks!

1) They don't really interact or have much in common. I wouldn't mix them, but yes, I'd have Baba Yaga get nervous around him, but Cthulhu wouldn't get nervous around her.

2) I'd suggest you read the articles we wrote about the Storval Plateau and the Shoanti and the Varisians during Curse of the Crimson Throne—I don't have the time to design a bunch of stories beyond that at the moment.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:
Can a deity live forever? you know if they are not killed by something

Depends on how you define "forever," but generally, no. Everything dies eventually. But that eventually might not come until after existence changes so fundamentally that it no longer would be recognizable as existence to anyone today.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Lou Diamond wrote:

HI James, would it be possible for pazio to put out a Spell and feat compendium every year or every other so feats and spells can be updated with errata and it would make it easier for your players to carry around a

compendium.

I have one other question for you. on publishing do you know how pazio
could put out their books in the format used by ibooks or kindle pdf readers are very clunky compared to them.

Given our current production schedule and all the products we need to create, no, it would absolutely not be possible for us to do something like that. If we stopped producing any new content, then yes, but at that point the company stagnates and self-destructs. Or, best-case scenario, transforms into something entirely different, which isn't something anyone here wants.

There's a lot of legal and industry and personal reasons why we haven't fully embraced kindle and other e-book formats you mention. Those decisions are also above my pay grade, so I can't say much about them.


James Jacobs wrote:
xavier c wrote:
Can a deity live forever? you know if they are not killed by something
Depends on how you define "forever," but generally, no. Everything dies eventually. But that eventually might not come until after existence changes so fundamentally that it no longer would be recognizable as existence to anyone today.

But what kills them then? old age?


James Jacobs wrote:
xavier c wrote:
Can a deity live forever? you know if they are not killed by something
Depends on how you define "forever," but generally, no. Everything dies eventually. But that eventually might not come until after existence changes so fundamentally that it no longer would be recognizable as existence to anyone today.

1)Do the gods fear this form of death?

2)have any gods ever tried to find a way around this form of death


James,

I believe I've found an error in the advanced class origins:

arcanist new exploit wrote:


Face Thief (Su): The arcanist can expend 1 point from her arcane reservoir to assume an illusory disguise as disguise self. If she expends 2 points from her arcane reservoir instead of 1, the duration of the effect increases to 10 minutes per level.

The thing is, disguise self already has a 10 min /level duration.

What would be your advice for fixing it, as the book said exploit is in doesn't belong to the Core line?

50,351 to 50,400 of 78,954 << first < prev | 1003 | 1004 | 1005 | 1006 | 1007 | 1008 | 1009 | 1010 | 1011 | 1012 | 1013 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.