Viagra... For Children


Off-Topic Discussions

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Drug maker Pfizer plans to release a version of its popular aphrodisiac Viagra for children, as a “humanitarian gesture.”

Pfizer intends to release the new drug under the name of “Revatio.” Both Revatio and Viagra use the same active ingredient, Sildenafil. Viagra has been used for years to treat these disorders.

Unsurprisingly for a pharmaceutical company, its motives are thought to be far from altruistic – the US Food and Drug Administration has offered Pfizer a 6 month extension on its Viagra patent in exchange for pushing the drug.

The patent would otherwise expire in 2012, paving the way for a horde of generic manufacturers to copy the drug and make low cost versions available to consumers.The new version is intended to treat a condition involving abnormally high blood pressure in the lungs of children, which afflicts 600 children a year in the US.

2009 US sales of Viagra were some $1.9 billion – Pfizer can expect sales of its version to plummet as its monopoly is broken and generics take over the market.

At an effective cost of nearly a billion dollars to treat only 600 patients, it appears “erectile dysfunction” sufferers are getting the shaft in more ways than one. Pfizer shares rose 1.7% on the news.

There is conspicuous silence on the matter of Viagra’s primary effects being applied to young children.


Are you serious?!?! Where are you getting your "news"?

Try this instead: Pfizer's Viagra Weighed by U.S. FDA for Children With Rare Lung Disorder

Edit: Satire, maybe?

Liberty's Edge

Wow Lazaro, that is quite a spin. While I am amongst the first to say that drug companies are not altruistic and that the main thing they are interested in is the bottom line, you are being pretty cynical here.

Viagra for children is a sensationalised headline. What we have is an existing drug that they are looking at using in another appropriate application ... just like Viagra itself, which after all Pfizer originally developed as a drug to treat high blood pressure ... and then discovered some interesting side effects.

Now, the company may well (probably is) doing this simply to extend their patent by 6 months and make an extra few million dollars before the generics hit the market; so what? Of all the drugs that all companies have developed, Viagra is way down the list of essential drugs to treat life threatening conditions that need cheap generic options in my opinion. When Pfizer starts using some ploy to delay a drug that treats cancer or AIDS or something from hitting the generic marker I will be upset.

While erectile dysfunction is a real medical problem, and sufferers deserve access to treatment ... come on – you’re not dying. It seems to be way over diagnosed (is it honestly that common a problem that I need to hear radio ads about it all day and see several billboards dealing with the issue every day on my way home??), and anecdotal evidence would suggest that Viagra is used as much by older men for whom not being able to get it up is a fact of their age NOT a disorder, or dudes who want to be able to keep going all night or more than their fair share times a day or whatever, than people for whom it is a real medical disorder.

Oh ... and we should not look for a viable way to treat children with a rare and dangerous disorder short of spending millions of dollars and many years developing an entirely new drug when an existing one seems to work, because only 600 kids suffer from it? What is 600 sick kids really ....


When I was a kid, not only were boners in steady supply, I was able to sell my surplus to the government. Paid for my education.


The Jade wrote:

When I was a kid, not only were boners in steady supply, I was able to sell my surplus to the government. Paid for my education.

Wish I'd thought of that. I could have paid my way through Stanford...


Lazaro wrote:

...it appears “erectile dysfunction” sufferers are getting the shaft in more ways than one....

I love you dude.

The Exchange

The Jade wrote:

When I was a kid, not only were boners in steady supply, I was able to sell my surplus to the government. Paid for my education.

Daddy?


Shadowborn wrote:
The Jade wrote:

When I was a kid, not only were boners in steady supply, I was able to sell my surplus to the government. Paid for my education.

Wish I'd thought of that. I could have paid my way through Stanford...

I could have paid for community college, maybe... :(

*EDIT:
Just to clarify, that's a joke about size, not quantity.


Shadowborn wrote:
The Jade wrote:

When I was a kid, not only were boners in steady supply, I was able to sell my surplus to the government. Paid for my education.

Wish I'd thought of that. I could have paid my way through Stanford...

I'm pretty sure I earned enough to get enrolled up to the third year at Johns Hopkins, but I have an aversion to looking at corpse genitals and never would have made it past the first year. They don't make you look at necrojunk,, but I'd have to staple my eyes to the underside of my own feet not to. Some part of my brain is just dazzled that sex parts don't disappear or deflate when people die, like the way vampires transform into a pile of Grape Nuts, y'know?

Ironicdisaster wrote:
Shadowborn wrote:
The Jade wrote:

When I was a kid, not only were boners in steady supply, I was able to sell my surplus to the government. Paid for my education.

Wish I'd thought of that. I could have paid my way through Stanford...

I could have paid for community college, maybe... :(

*EDIT:
Just to clarify, that's a joke about size, not quantity.

Don't feel bad. I know a kid with a half inch pecker who sold his surplus wood to Uncle Sam and only got an extracurricular field trip to a twine museum outta the deal. He now works in South America as an entertainer... he stars in something called a bonzai donkey show, whatever that is.

brock wrote:
The Jade wrote:

When I was a kid, not only were boners in steady supply, I was able to sell my surplus to the government. Paid for my education.

Daddy?

SON!

Liberty's Edge

Does anyone else think there's a connection between the Maya 'Doomsday' date (12/21/2012) and the fact that the Viagra patent expires 9 MONTHS (March 27, 2012) before?


Ashe Ravenheart wrote:
Does anyone else think there's a connection between the Maya 'Doomsday' date (12/21/2012) and the fact that the Viagra patent expires 9 MONTHS (March 27, 2012) before?

Perhaps the End of the World was always merely a metaphor for the death of American Shwing? And nine months later, no new babies. Then we'll all just have robotized cabbage patch kids to fawn over. It'll be fun.

Liberty's Edge

The Jade wrote:
Ashe Ravenheart wrote:
Does anyone else think there's a connection between the Maya 'Doomsday' date (12/21/2012) and the fact that the Viagra patent expires 9 MONTHS (March 27, 2012) before?
Perhaps the End of the World was always merely a metaphor for the death of American Shwing? And nine months later, no new babies. Then we'll all just have robotized cabbage patch kids to fawn over. It'll be fun.

Uh... No thanks.

The Exchange

Ashe Ravenheart wrote:
The Jade wrote:
Ashe Ravenheart wrote:
Does anyone else think there's a connection between the Maya 'Doomsday' date (12/21/2012) and the fact that the Viagra patent expires 9 MONTHS (March 27, 2012) before?
Perhaps the End of the World was always merely a metaphor for the death of American Shwing? And nine months later, no new babies. Then we'll all just have robotized cabbage patch kids to fawn over. It'll be fun.
Uh... No thanks.

And here I was thinking this.


Crimson Jester wrote:
Ashe Ravenheart wrote:
The Jade wrote:
Ashe Ravenheart wrote:
Does anyone else think there's a connection between the Maya 'Doomsday' date (12/21/2012) and the fact that the Viagra patent expires 9 MONTHS (March 27, 2012) before?
Perhaps the End of the World was always merely a metaphor for the death of American Shwing? And nine months later, no new babies. Then we'll all just have robotized cabbage patch kids to fawn over. It'll be fun.
Uh... No thanks.
And here I was thinking this.

Do you remember that scene where they're in a car backing down a road at high speed as motorcyclists come after them? Did you know that was a single shot with no effects? REALLY ambitious continuous shots all through that movie... some were minutes long. Amazing execution.

The Exchange

The Jade wrote:
Crimson Jester wrote:
Ashe Ravenheart wrote:
The Jade wrote:
Ashe Ravenheart wrote:
Does anyone else think there's a connection between the Maya 'Doomsday' date (12/21/2012) and the fact that the Viagra patent expires 9 MONTHS (March 27, 2012) before?
Perhaps the End of the World was always merely a metaphor for the death of American Shwing? And nine months later, no new babies. Then we'll all just have robotized cabbage patch kids to fawn over. It'll be fun.
Uh... No thanks.
And here I was thinking this.
Do you remember that scene where they're in a car backing down a road at high speed as motorcyclists come after them? Did you know that was a single shot with no effects? REALLY ambitious continuous shots all through that movie... some were minutes long. Amazing execution.

I had heard that. No one does that sort of cinematography anymore. It was one of the things I loved about Firefly, that they could walk the length and breadth of the ship in one continuous shot.


Funny story with a serious take-home about the nature of evolution and the interrelatedness of all life forms on our planet.

The Exchange

jocundthejolly wrote:
Funny story with a serious take-home about the nature of evolution and the interrelatedness of all life forms on our planet.

That is so funny!

The Exchange

Duck!!!!!!!!!!


Maybe the kids arent responding to the Priests attention in a satisfactory manor.

They dont call them Altar Boys for nothing.


Crimson Jester wrote:
Duck!!!!!!!!!!

Wabbit!!!!!!

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Viagra... For Children All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.