Goddess of Pronunciation


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion


I was curious about the Goddess Iomedae,from the core book, how do you say her name? Every time I try to pronounce her name it comes out sounding like some over-the-counter medication! Could somebody possibly type it out for me?

Thanks!

Sovereign Court

Not entirely sure myself. I've always pronounced it I-Oh-Me-Day

Edit: Yeah your right that does sound like i'm at the Pharmacy...

Silver Crusade

Fairly certain the official answer is EYE-oh-meh-day.

I've somehow gotten completely consistant with pronouncing it EE-oh in one campaign and EYE-oh in another.


I pronounce it "eye-oh-me-dah-ay" (similar to "eye-oh-me-die", but longer and more "ah" on the last part).


ahy-OH-meh day

is how it is in the campaign setting.

Silver Crusade

AYYYYYYOH, AYAYAYYYYYOH!
Smite them now and me wan' go ho-ome!


for fun Try this which does seem to match up with whats in the book


seekerofshadowlight wrote:
for fun Try this which does seem to match up with whats in the book

That sounds workable, thanks! Now I'm just curious about the meaning IRL. I couldn't seem to make that part work.

Just throw some caltrops at me if I'm starting to push my luck here...

Sovereign Court

Bumborro wrote:
seekerofshadowlight wrote:
for fun Try this which does seem to match up with whats in the book

That sounds workable, thanks! Now I'm just curious about the meaning IRL. I couldn't seem to make that part work.

Just throw some caltrops at me if I'm starting to push my luck here...

I wrote this then felt the need to spoiler it.

Kingmaker Spoiler:

*Gleefully uses the caltrop tosser he stole from the mites in Kingmaker to fire caltrops at Bumborro.*


Mikaze wrote:

AYYYYYYOH, AYAYAYYYYYOH!

Smite them now and me wan' go ho-ome!

HAH! :D

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Like this:

eye-OH-meh-day


It's DROW to rhyme with HOW and NOW.
Oh sorry jumped the gun there.


Odd. I've been pronouncing it, "shah-day." :)

Mark L. Chance | Spes Magna Games


I figure that for a name that's going to be known across the world of Golarion, there will be all kinds of different pronunciations from language to language and from region to region. At least, that's my excuse if anyone calls me on it.

"Oh, I see the problem. You're using the Taldan pronunciation, while I'm using the Andoren pronunciation. That explains it."


Corrosive Rabbit wrote:
"Oh, I see the problem. You're using the Taldan pronunciation, while I'm using the Andoren pronunciation. That explains it."

Bravo!

My gaming group once briefly suffered through a player who ran a halfling. In an encounter with a NPC dwarf cleric of Moradin, the dwarf pronounced his god's name, "moe-rah-dun". The halfling corrected him, noting that Moradin is pronounced "more-ah-din". The dwarf cleric didn't take kindly to being corrected. Fortunately, my quick thinking, silver tongued PC explained, "Please forgive her. That's just her halfling accent getting in the way."

:)

Mark L. Chance | Spes Magna Games


Corrosive Rabbit wrote:

I figure that for a name that's going to be known across the world of Golarion, there will be all kinds of different pronunciations from language to language and from region to region. At least, that's my excuse if anyone calls me on it.

"Oh, I see the problem. You're using the Taldan pronunciation, while I'm using the Andoren pronunciation. That explains it."

~laughter~ I will have to remember this.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

meatrace wrote:

It's DROW to rhyme with HOW and NOW.

Oh sorry jumped the gun there.

I always pronounce "drow" to rhyme with "bow."


I've seen this answered before, by an official source who said the same thing that James said in this thread (it might also have been James in that other thread, long ago).

And yet, I can't stop pronouncing it like a Greek word. It looks very Greek to me (and I'm not using that in the "it's Greek to me!" colloquial sense).

If it were Greek, that 'ae' at the end would be pronounced more or less like we Americans pronounce 'ee'. And despite the official contradictions, I can't help pronoucing it eye-oh-MAY-dee.

I'm playing a paladin of the Greek goddess Iomedae. I think it bugs my DM but since I started pronouncing it Greekishly way back in BETA (hmmm, another Greek word?) before we got any official clarification, it's stuck that way now, at least in our games.


Christopher Dudley wrote:
meatrace wrote:

It's DROW to rhyme with HOW and NOW.

Oh sorry jumped the gun there.
I always pronounce "drow" to rhyme with "bow."

I'm confused...

Is that "bow" like "bow down before the big mean Tarrasque and beg for your life" or is it "bow" like "bow and arrow"?


DM_Blake wrote:
Christopher Dudley wrote:
meatrace wrote:

It's DROW to rhyme with HOW and NOW.

Oh sorry jumped the gun there.
I always pronounce "drow" to rhyme with "bow."

I'm confused...

Is that "bow" like "bow down before the big mean Tarrasque and beg for your life" or is it "bow" like "bow and arrow"?

"Bow" as in "sow" ;)


DM_Blake wrote:
Christopher Dudley wrote:
meatrace wrote:

It's DROW to rhyme with HOW and NOW.

Oh sorry jumped the gun there.
I always pronounce "drow" to rhyme with "bow."

I'm confused...

Is that "bow" like "bow down before the big mean Tarrasque and beg for your life" or is it "bow" like "bow and arrow"?

I think that's the joke...


Corrosive Rabbit wrote:
DM_Blake wrote:
Christopher Dudley wrote:
meatrace wrote:

It's DROW to rhyme with HOW and NOW.

Oh sorry jumped the gun there.
I always pronounce "drow" to rhyme with "bow."

I'm confused...

Is that "bow" like "bow down before the big mean Tarrasque and beg for your life" or is it "bow" like "bow and arrow"?

"Bow" as in "sow" ;)

Ah, yeah, well, then are you saying "sow" like "here piggy piggy piggy" or like "sow your oats"?


Vaellen wrote:
DM_Blake wrote:
Christopher Dudley wrote:
meatrace wrote:

It's DROW to rhyme with HOW and NOW.

Oh sorry jumped the gun there.
I always pronounce "drow" to rhyme with "bow."

I'm confused...

Is that "bow" like "bow down before the big mean Tarrasque and beg for your life" or is it "bow" like "bow and arrow"?

I think that's the joke...

Maybe. Probably.

In which case, I'm just playing along.

Liberty's Edge

In Galt we say YO- MAY- DA - EH !

Of course it is treasonous to say otherwise and is a CAPITAL offence !

But since her worship is also treasonous, and is capital offence too, it is actually good to defame her name.

Buy our lottery tickets and find out who is traitor next !

Liberty's Edge

Galt Patriot ! wrote:
Buy our lottery tickets and find out who is traitor next !

The great Galt empire... inventors of Paranoia.


Oh no!
Where do we go?
How do we know
Who we have to show
That a real pro
Would always know
That a Dark Elf could never rhyme here, though?

So

How now brown cow
Welcome to the pow-wow
Care to have a chat now?
The Drow takes a bow.

eye OH m'day, eh?

Dark Archive

DM_Blake wrote:
Corrosive Rabbit wrote:
DM_Blake wrote:
Christopher Dudley wrote:
meatrace wrote:

It's DROW to rhyme with HOW and NOW.

Oh sorry jumped the gun there.
I always pronounce "drow" to rhyme with "bow."

I'm confused...

Is that "bow" like "bow down before the big mean Tarrasque and beg for your life" or is it "bow" like "bow and arrow"?

"Bow" as in "sow" ;)
Ah, yeah, well, then are you saying "sow" like "here piggy piggy piggy" or like "sow your oats"?

Good old english for you. Just the words, Food and Good.


Odd. I'd always prounced her name as Eye-Ah-Meh-Day. The more you know...

As a side note, Drow has been pronounced as rhyming with cow rather than sew in every single video game I've seen with actual voice acting... so that's how I say it.

It's like the Brujah in Vampire: the Masquerade... is it "Broo-haw" or "Broo-zjah". I use the latter since it was used in all the Vampire video games I played... and it sounds cooler. ;-)

Dark Archive

How now brown Drow?

I like Eee-Oh-Meh-Day better. Eye-Oh-Meh-Day sounds pretentious.

And then there's Sarenwrap and Norgoober. :)

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Card Game, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Ah Paladins mispronouncing.

An old 3rd ed game I was in had a Halfling Paladin of Ehlonna. At least that was who he was supposed to be worshipping. His actual battlecry was

"FOR ELANOR!!!!!"

He also used a Ring of Feather Fall (...ish) and his Giant Eagle Mount to perfect the sub orbital Halfing Insertion system!

Contributor

I prefer the goblin pronunciation: Ee-or-Moo-dee, or more prosaically "Eeyore Moody."

It sums up the goddess pretty well, at least from the goblin perspective.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / Goddess of Pronunciation All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.