RotR out of print?


Rise of the Runelords


Hey everyone,

All the places that sell Pathfinder in my town (OKC) say that this is out of print. Yet, I noticed that this website still sells it, which is cool. BUT, what has me scratching my head is that #1 and two others do not have a PDF version to buy.

Are they planning on re-vamping this Adventure Path for updated Pathfinder rules?

Thanks and cheers


Dustin J Cooper wrote:

Hey everyone,

All the places that sell Pathfinder in my town (OKC) say that this is out of print. Yet, I noticed that this website still sells it, which is cool. BUT, what has me scratching my head is that #1 and two others do not have a PDF version to buy.

Here's the PDF for #1:

Burnt Offerings PDF

Dustin wrote:
Are they planning on re-vamping this Adventure Path for updated Pathfinder rules?

Probably not, but they haven't ruled out anything.


Oh.... ha... I obviously was not reading that correctly. It was one, #3 & #5 that the books were sold out and they were only selling the pdfs. Oooops.

Thanks!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

At this time we have no plans to reprint Rise of the Runelords... but it is indeed falling out of print and won't be long before the entire AP is out of print.

We get lots of requests for a Runelords reprint, though. That's not something we can easily just run out and do, though, since it's a pretty expensive process. Someday we might pull the reprint lever on this AP, but for now we have no plans to do so.


So, should I just buy the PDfs for this? I normally would not mind for 32 page ones, but 90 something pages is a bit much to print out :(

Is there another AP you guys would recommend over this? Council of Thieves maybe (since it came out the same time as the core book)?

Sovereign Court

I know one of the concerns, beyond the reprint cost, that has been raised is creating a mentality of "why should I sign up for the monthly subscription when they will just put out a single volume collection of the AP". For the non-PFRPG APs (every AP pre-CoT), though, if they were converted to the PF ruleset and printed as a collection it would be a slightly different situation. More like releasing an update version for the original APs than putting out a collected printing. Of course it would need to be made clear it would only be for those APs if that course was followed.

Now just to get past those annoying cost and time requirements. ;)

And yes, I would recommend the PDFs. RotR is a great AP, meatgrinder or not. :)


I am not against PDFs, don't get me wrong. It is a printing issue usually. BUT, I'll work around this, I guess.

I ran that "Master of the Fallen Fortress" as my first adventure (and it went really well) and plan on running "Hollows Last Hope" (which is a good little adventure, to tell you the truth) tomorrow before our party. Our gaming group has been on hiatus, so we are doing these one shots (which is why I had chosen those two), but if we are going to do something on the long term, then I needed to get an AP.

Rise or the Ruinlords comes highly recommended for a first campaign, so I am set on this (I was originally going to try Legacy of Fire, but too many people said start with RotR).

Now, I just have to get down the rules for the game. I have been falling back on the two 3.5 veterans (who have already read the core rules before me), but I need get this stuff down so they don't think I am a slacker (I am not use to this much crunch, that Dragon Age rpg is the extent to my complexity these days ;)

Thanks and cheers!


Kingmaker is a good first adventure path too.


Dustin J Cooper wrote:


Rise or the Ruinlords comes highly recommended for a first campaign, so I am set on this (I was originally going to try Legacy of Fire, but too many people said start with RotR).

People who said that lied.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great campaign, but in the 30+ issues of Pathfinder since Runelords they have really refined the AP.

Newer APs are in-print, have better quality art, cooler rules, better balance, better notes on progression, and better just-about-everything.

People who claim runelords is somehow better are giving over to nostalgia, which serves no place in your selection of the "best" starting AP.

I would start with kingmaker, or, if your camapaign isn't starting for a little whiel, get a subscription for 6 months and do Serpent's Skull.

Shadow Lodge

I think picking AP should be a simple matter of deciding what sort of campaign you want. They are all excellent in one way or another. I'm not a big fan of urban campaigns or elves so predictably my least favorites are the Second Darkness, Council of Thieves, and Curse of the Crimson.

Legacy of Fire is really really good... maybe my favorite but they are all great.


Thanks everyone for the advice. I don't really mind if the stats are out of date and a little off balance for Runelords because having to convert things for this last adventure I ran helped me learn more of the rules... ironically.

I found printed copies of every one of the RotR APs except for the first, and my players already read the companion for that and are wanting me to run it now.

Each one of those APs has something I like from what I have read, so I just needed to make a choice and just start. I wanted to make sure I did not spend all this money to find out they were updating it right after that.

Thanks!


Dustin J Cooper wrote:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I don't really mind if the stats are out of date and a little off balance for Runelords because having to convert things for this last adventure I ran helped me learn more of the rules... ironically.

I found printed copies of every one of the RotR APs except for the first, and my players already read the companion for that and are wanting me to run it now.

Each one of those APs has something I like from what I have read, so I just needed to make a choice and just start. I wanted to make sure I did not spend all this money to find out they were updating it right after that.

Thanks!

Well, in that case, since I failed to dissuade you—

Welcome to the team! Check out the community stuff thread that's pinned in this forum. You should make some stuff and add it to the vast amount of swag that makes Runelords the best-supported AP (if not the best in general IMO).

Sovereign Court

I started my new players with RotRL, 80% of the reason for that was Sandpoint.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Some of us fans are hoping for a 5th anniversary compilation and update of the entire Rise of the Runelords AP in a hardback with Pathfinder RPG mechanics for GenCon 2012. (Hint, hint.) And then maybe Curse of the Crimson Throne later on.

Paizo Employee CEO

Kvantum wrote:
Some of us fans are hoping for a 5th anniversary compilation and update of the entire Rise of the Runelords AP in a hardback with Pathfinder RPG mechanics for GenCon 2012. (Hint, hint.) And then maybe Curse of the Crimson Throne later on.

You mean for Paizo's 10th anniversary? Madness...

-Lisa


Lisa Stevens wrote:
Kvantum wrote:
Some of us fans are hoping for a 5th anniversary compilation and update of the entire Rise of the Runelords AP in a hardback with Pathfinder RPG mechanics for GenCon 2012. (Hint, hint.) And then maybe Curse of the Crimson Throne later on.

You mean for Paizo's 10th anniversary? Madness...

-Lisa

I think the 4 original AP's should get the hardback/PFRPG treatment, call it "Pathfinder Classics" or "Pathfinder Origins" etc.

Just wishful thinking but i'd be onboard regardless.


Lisa Stevens wrote:
Kvantum wrote:
Some of us fans are hoping for a 5th anniversary compilation and update of the entire Rise of the Runelords AP in a hardback with Pathfinder RPG mechanics for GenCon 2012. (Hint, hint.) And then maybe Curse of the Crimson Throne later on.

You mean for Paizo's 10th anniversary? Madness...

-Lisa

I don't want to read implications into a statement coming from someone of such a high and powerful seat, but if someone was so inclined...

Interesting.


I think if that were the case they'd get stuck with a bunch of out of date AP's stuck in their warehouse. why would anyone buy Second Darkness, Curse of the Crimson Throne in their 3.5 versions when could buy a full book of all of them updated to pathfinder?

If they redo or reprint Rise of the Runelords (and i hope they do!) They should wait til the book is completely out of print, THEN re-release it, possibly in one big volume or in the current 6-book format (whichever is cheaper)

Doing anything else would be shooting themselves in the foot. The PDF's aren't a bad deal, Fed Ex kinko's can print out the PDF's with a nice binding very reasonably if you do it in black and white. The finished price is only a few bucks more than the printed AP would be. Final cost is something like 23 bucks with PDF+print and binding.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Wolfthulhu wrote:
Lisa Stevens wrote:
Kvantum wrote:
Some of us fans are hoping for a 5th anniversary compilation and update of the entire Rise of the Runelords AP in a hardback with Pathfinder RPG mechanics for GenCon 2012. (Hint, hint.) And then maybe Curse of the Crimson Throne later on.

You mean for Paizo's 10th anniversary? Madness...

-Lisa

I don't want to read implications into a statement coming from someone of such a high and powerful seat, but if someone was so inclined...

Interesting.

I believe she is saying that 2012 is Paizo's 10th anniversary not 5th. And the madness is they have been around for 10 years.:)

Sczarni

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens Subscriber
Justin Franklin wrote:


I believe she is saying that 2012 is Paizo's 10th anniversary not 5th. And the madness is they have been around for 10 years.:)

But Pathfinder didn't start until 2007, so it will be the 5th anniversary of pathfinder APs :)


Cpt_kirstov wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:


I believe she is saying that 2012 is Paizo's 10th anniversary not 5th. And the madness is they have been around for 10 years.:)

But Pathfinder didn't start until 2007, so it will be the 5th anniversary of pathfinder APs :)

And being the 5th anniversary of the APs as well as Paizo's 10th anniversary... Would be a fine time to release some big highly anticipated project. As I said, if someone wanted to read into Lisa's comment, they certainly could... not that I am.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Wolfthulhu wrote:
And being the 5th anniversary of the APs as well as Paizo's 10th anniversary... Would be a fine time to release some big highly anticipated project. As I said, if someone wanted to read into Lisa's comment, they certainly could... not that I am.

It sure would be, wouldn't it?

It's also WAY in the future, of course, so don't expect us to say much more about any crazy plans we might have for Paizo's 10th/Pathfinder's 5th anytime soon! ;-)


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

So we heard it here first big release for GenCon in 2 years!! Let the speculation begin.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Lisa Stevens wrote:
Kvantum wrote:
Some of us fans are hoping for a 5th anniversary compilation and update of the entire Rise of the Runelords AP in a hardback with Pathfinder RPG mechanics for GenCon 2012. (Hint, hint.) And then maybe Curse of the Crimson Throne later on.

You mean for Paizo's 10th anniversary? Madness...

-Lisa

Yes, I suppose it would be rather mad to celebrate that. (Totally forgot when Paizo was founded, so I went and checked the date on Dragon 298. I could remember what issue it was that you took over/spun off the magazine, but not what year.)

Sovereign Court

James Jacobs wrote:
... don't expect us to say much more about any crazy plans we might have...

It's a Global Transmogrifier, isn't it? You'll be turning the world into Golarion ... that's what the Mayans meant!

And we'll all end up playing Offices and Outsourcing for our RPG fix ... ;)

Shadow Lodge

Michael Miller 36 wrote:

I think if that were the case they'd get stuck with a bunch of out of date AP's stuck in their warehouse. why would anyone buy Second Darkness, Curse of the Crimson Throne in their 3.5 versions when could buy a full book of all of them updated to pathfinder?

If they redo or reprint Rise of the Runelords (and i hope they do!) They should wait til the book is completely out of print, THEN re-release it, possibly in one big volume or in the current 6-book format (whichever is cheaper)

At this point the 1st and 3rd books are out of stock at Paizo and I suspect sales of the other 4 books is likely lethargic since people can't get the whole series. Reprinting a full hardcover wouldn't cannibalize sales of their Rise of the Runelords adventure path, it might cannibalize their other adventure paths to some extent though.

I prefer having a set of six soft covers to a single hardback myself because it makes the product easier to digest. Since I managed to sneak one of the last available inexpensive copies of Burnt Offerings I am content with what I have :D

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Rise of the Runelords / RotR out of print? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Rise of the Runelords