The World Cup has begun!


Off-Topic Discussions

1 to 50 of 291 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

Lorekeeper's World Cup thread got derailed so I thought I would start a new one.

Opening goal of the tournament was ace. France v. Urugauy is not as good a game as the ace South Africa vs. Mexico opener.

Although I am Welsh I live in England and am looking forward to the England v. USA game tomorrow.

(and if Brazil win, I get 70 quid from the sweepstake at work - wooha!)

Lorekeepers feats are ace, although I think you need a level requirement for the headbutt.

Liberty's Edge

I got to see Ghana play in '06 (just happened to be living in Germany). I'm really pulling for Ghana and SA--Africa has been very underrepresented in the world cup until recently (considering how many Africans play on league teams).

I just hope USA doesn't score a goal on themselves again >.<


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens Subscriber

Although I don´t care that much for soccer, I do hope that Germany wins the World Cup - the fourth time is due (1954,1974,1990). They were 2nd four times already (1966, 1982, 1986, 2002)... :-)

And I do sincerely hope that it has a lasting positive effect for South Africa, although I doubt it. The FIFA has it made all but impossible that anybody else profits from any sales during the games.

Stefan

Paizo Employee Chief Creative Officer, Publisher

I will be watching the England/USA game tomorrow morning.

It's on too early here for hard core drinking, but I'm not 100% sure that will stop us.

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

Liberty's Edge

Erik Mona wrote:

I will be watching the England/USA game tomorrow morning.

It's on too early here for hard core drinking, but I'm not 100% sure that will stop us.

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

Whatchu talkin bout willis? (too soon?) It's like 1830 over there when it comes on...that's plenty late enough for drinkin!

Paizo Employee Chief Creative Officer, Publisher

What is 1830?

USA!

USA!

USA!


Erik Mona wrote:

What is 1830?

USA!

USA!

USA!

That would be 6:30 for any non military types.


1830 is the time, I believe :)

South Africa did great in the opening game! The first half was a no-no, but the second half was freaking awesome. I live in South Africa, so I'm very excited. That opening goal has got to be a contender for sweetest goal of the tourney. But it will be a tough time for Bafana Bafana against Uruguay and France still. If we can pull a win in one of those we stand a chance! :D

(I'm also rooting for Germany - they really deserve getting another finisher; as well as Japan!)

Quote:
Lorekeepers feats are ace, although I think you need a level requirement for the headbutt.

Thanks! But I cannot take the credit, a buddy of mine (jatori) is to blame. Oh! But I did the photoshop for the Hand of Pelor pic.

He followed up with a great item (the makarapa - the South African "battle" helmet for soccer - have a look).


USA! USA! USA!

I have the sudden urge to over turn a car and light something on fire.


CourtFool wrote:

USA! USA! USA!

I have the sudden urge to over turn a car and light something on fire.

You can only get away with that if you live in california or a northern state. You mess with someones pickup truck 'round here and yous liable to git shot.


Steven Tindall wrote:
CourtFool wrote:

USA! USA! USA!

I have the sudden urge to over turn a car and light something on fire.

You can only get away with that if you live in california or a northern state. You mess with someones pickup truck 'round here and yous liable to git shot.

Unless the person with the gun was the thing I lit on fire.


peeks in

You spelled the thread name wrong. Carry on ..

Goes to check out baseball scores

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 4

GeraintElberion wrote:
Lorekeepers feats are ace, although I think you need a level requirement for the headbutt.

I'm glad that you liked them :)

I considered adding Favoured Enemy (Italian) to headbutt's prerequisites. A base attack or level requirement would probably work too.

ZA's probably in for a tough time with France/Uruguay because of the their draw. I really thought that one of them would have pulled out a victory.

Scarab Sages

Erik Mona wrote:
It's on too early here for hard core drinking....

is thoroughly confused by this statement

Dark Archive

Erik Mona wrote:

I will be watching the England/USA game tomorrow morning.

It's on too early here for hard core drinking, but I'm not 100% sure that will stop us.

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

and as we sing over here (mostly by fat blokes with faces painted) En-ger-land! En-ger-land! En-ger-land!


The Otyugh wrote:
Erik Mona wrote:

I will be watching the England/USA game tomorrow morning.

It's on too early here for hard core drinking, but I'm not 100% sure that will stop us.

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

and as we sing over here (mostly by fat blokes with faces painted) En-ger-land! En-ger-land! En-ger-land!

I thought it was just us that had the way too fat guys in face paint makeing asses of themselves on TV. Nice to know something are universal.

Now if only we could get our television programs to entertain and not insult our intellegence like your british shows do. I love british TV, the comedies are a joy to watch, thats what we need over here not jiggle vision or shows that make no sense(seinfeld!)

Sovereign Court

GO SPAIN GO

The world cup is ours :)

Grand Lodge

I just hope the US does well.

Well, actually, I just want Wayne Rooney to break a leg.

Well, really, I want all of the ManU players to get grossly injured -- and stay injured during the Premier League season.

AND ARSENAL RULES THE WORLD

The Exchange

I'm "confussed" what in the world is the "wolrd" cup?

Grand Lodge

There is no such thing as the "wolrd" cup unfortunately.

Grand Lodge

The World Cup is the most important sporting event in the world.

Bigger and more important than the Olympics.

Much bigger.

Basically, now that the various professional football leagues are finished (it's offseason now), the star players go back to their countries of origin and form their countries' "Olympic-like" team.

Then, all these countries play in Qualifying matches to see who are the best.

The top 32 Nation's Teams Qualify and are separated in 8 Groups of 4 teams.

During the next week or so the 4 Teams in each Group will play each other. In our Group (USA) there is also England, Slovenia and Algeria.

After we play each other, the 2 best teams in eacg Group advance.

So there will be 16 Teams that make it to a knock-out tournament.

Grand Lodge

We play England at 2:30 so I'm about to leave.

SEE YOU GUYS NEXT WEEK!

GO USA!

Dark Archive

W E Ray wrote:

I just hope the US does well.

Well, actually, I just want Wayne Rooney to break a leg.

Well, really, I want all of the ManU players to get grossly injured -- and stay injured during the Premier League season.

AND ARSENAL RULES THE WORLD

I think you will find Chelsea (double winners!) rule :)

En-ger-land! :)

Liberty's Edge

You know what'd make soccer more interesting? Playing with a medicine ball. In fact, all sports should be played with medicine balls.

The Exchange

Studpuffin wrote:
You know what'd make soccer more interesting? Playing with a medicine ball. In fact, all sports should be played with medicine balls.

Be a little hard to kick wouldn't it?

American football would be closer to rugby with one of those. Field goals would just go away.

The Exchange

England USA 1 all
and it was a pathetic shot from the US to tie


Like any true Scotsman I support two teams..Scotland and...

Anyone playing against England

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

The Exchange

DM Wellard wrote:

Like any true Scotsman I support two teams..Scotland and...

Anyone playing against England

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

My coworker from Scotland agrees!


finally world cup time.
germany starts sunday evening

54, 74, 90, 2010 und so stimmen wir alle ein
mit dem Herz in der Hand und mit Leidenschaft im Bein
werden wir Weltmeister sein !!!!!!!!!!

but the vuvusela gets on my nervs
the monotone sound kills any atmosphere, england plays and you can't hear the fans singing :-(


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens Subscriber

I would have expected England to win that game, not a tie. Not a good start for England.

Yeah, the vuvusela are annoying, some kind of buzzing all over the game.

Stefan


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
The Otyugh wrote:
W E Ray wrote:


AND ARSENAL RULES THE WORLD
I think you will find Chelsea (double winners!) rule :)

Nope & nope - SPURS rule! Tottenham FTW! :-p

(But I will agree on the boos to ManU!)

As for the Cup match, I'll take the attitude that anything's that not a loss is a win for the Yanks! ;-)

This has been a surprising opening for the Cup. (3) ties in the first five matches; and one surprising upset (Korea over Greece surprised me at least).

Liberty's Edge

DM Wellard wrote:

Like any true Scotsman I support two teams..Scotland and...

Anyone playing against England

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

I heard this from a random Scotsman when I was at the last world cup, so it must be a universal thing (in Scotland anyway).

The Exchange

Xpltvdeleted wrote:
DM Wellard wrote:

Like any true Scotsman I support two teams..Scotland and...

Anyone playing against England

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

I heard this from a random Scotsman when I was at the last world cup, so it must be a universal thing (in Scotland anyway).

well they say when they get ready to go to england that they make sure all Scotsmen have their shots and passports.

Dark Archive

Xpltvdeleted wrote:
DM Wellard wrote:

Like any true Scotsman I support two teams..Scotland and...

Anyone playing against England

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

I heard this from a random Scotsman when I was at the last world cup, so it must be a universal thing (in Scotland anyway).

Thing is they have to support teams against England as they never have Scotland to support due to never qualifying (ducks the flying bagpipes and Haggis) :)


The Otyugh wrote:


Thing is they have to support teams against England as they never have Scotland to support due to never qualifying (ducks the flying bagpipes and Haggis) :)

Last world cup the scots came to germany to support Trinidad.

Because trinidad had a player named Jason Scotland :-D

Dark Archive

aeglos wrote:
The Otyugh wrote:


Thing is they have to support teams against England as they never have Scotland to support due to never qualifying (ducks the flying bagpipes and Haggis) :)

Last world cup the scots came to germany to support Trinidad.

Because trinidad had a player named Jason Scotland :-D

Well that sums them up. Note: I have nothing against the Scottish - except you Andy Murray!


Well since we have a Germany supporter here, and considering the upcoming match in less than an hour or so...

ON THE SOCCEROOS!

Just thought we needed a supporter in this thread.

Dark Archive

Ekeebe wrote:

Well since we have a Germany supporter here, and considering the upcoming match in less than an hour or so...

ON THE SOCCEROOS!

Just thought we needed a supporter in this thread.

Is the Germany game not on in about 9 hours time? We have our weekly game this evening so will be recording it and watching it post game - while trying to avoid the result!


It's on at 8:30 PM 13/6/2010 and it is currently 8 PM 13/6/2010, so it starts in 30 mins.

I'll refrain from posting who won until the match airs in Germany.

Dark Archive

Ekeebe wrote:

It's on at 8:30 PM 13/6/2010 and it is currently 8 PM 13/6/2010, so it starts in 30 mins.

I'll refrain from posting who won until the match airs in Germany.

Think it starts 7pm gmt so I make that about 7 hours. Algeria vs Slovenia is in 45 minutes though!


Serbia vs Ghana is right now, Germany vs Australia still four long hours away

Deutschlaaand-Deutschlaaand-Deutschlaaand-Deutschlaaaaaaaaaaaaand

all the matches have been very defence-heavy so far
hopfully the pace will quicken a bit in the next days


Stebehil wrote:
I would have expected England to win that game, not a tie. Not a good start for England. Stefan

A tie? See, this is why USAians have trouble with futbol. We want to crush our enemies and see them driven before us, not shake hands in a gentlemanly fashion and go to tea.

Liberty's Edge

Awww, crumpets!


Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooor füüüüüüür Deutschland

LU-LU-LU LUKAS PODOLSKY


Germany 2 Australia 0

Miroslav klose
now the 7th player with more than 10 goals in world cup history


3-0 Thomas Müller
4-0 Cacau

What a game! Amazing!

If the Vuvuselas wouldn't be so loud you could hear the German Fans sing:
So ein Tag, so wunderschön wie heute,
so ein Tag, der dürfte nie vergehen


End result: Germany 4 Australia 0

The Exchange

aeglos wrote:

End result: Germany 4 Australia 0

News Just in...Australian Socceroos to be shot dead and their corpses burned (Saddam Hussein Style) in the middle of their multi billion dollar stadium - in front of all those unemployed and homeless Aussies.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens Subscriber
Treppa wrote:
Stebehil wrote:
I would have expected England to win that game, not a tie. Not a good start for England. Stefan
A tie? See, this is why USAians have trouble with futbol. We want to crush our enemies and see them driven before us, not shake hands in a gentlemanly fashion and go to tea.

Well, you could - the Germans pretty much crushed the Aussies with 4:0. Not as bad as the Saudi-Arabians eight years ago - they lost 0:8 against Germany in the first game.

Stefan

Dark Archive

What was that sending off about though? Seriously? Germany off to their typical start. They will choke though :)

1 to 50 of 291 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / The World Cup has begun! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.