A question of Inquisitors and their judgments.


Rules Questions

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

A question of judgment.

I have a quick question. An Inquisitor gets the use of one judgment a day at first level. Does he pick one judgment that he gets to use once each day, or does he choose from the list of judgments, and pick what he wants spontaneously like a sorcerer, as he uses his judgment class ability?

Thanks

Scarab Sages

My understanding is that he gets to pick the judgment each time he uses it. Also, he can change judgments mid-combat, but the bonus resets to the first round bonuses. See p. 16 of the APG final beta, at the first full paragraph (immediately before the descriptions of the various judgments).


ElyasRavenwood wrote:

A question of judgment.

I have a quick question. An Inquisitor gets the use of one judgment a day at first level. Does he pick one judgment that he gets to use once each day, or does he choose from the list of judgments, and pick what he wants spontaneously like a sorcerer, as he uses his judgment class ability?

Thanks

Like the sorcerer, he chooses it when he use the judgement.

He is even permitted to change the judgement currently used to another with a swift action (although this resets the bonus).

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

thanks

Liberty's Edge

HaraldKlak wrote:
ElyasRavenwood wrote:

A question of judgment.

I have a quick question. An Inquisitor gets the use of one judgment a day at first level. Does he pick one judgment that he gets to use once each day, or does he choose from the list of judgments, and pick what he wants spontaneously like a sorcerer, as he uses his judgment class ability?

Thanks

Like the sorcerer, he chooses it when he use the judgement.

He is even permitted to change the judgement currently used to another with a swift action (although this resets the bonus).

Severalmembers of my group were looking at the inquisitor class recently, If at 1st lvl you get one judgement and then as a swift action you can change that judgement to another type wouldn't that be considered 2 judgements? and therefore not usable until attaining 4th level when yo actually can cast more judgements?

The Exchange

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
ancientdm wrote:
Severalmembers of my group were looking at the inquisitor class recently, If at 1st lvl you get one judgement and then as a swift action you can change that judgement to another type wouldn't that be considered 2 judgements? and therefore not usable until attaining 4th level when yo actually can cast more judgements?

Incorrect. Think of the Judgement use and the bonuses as two separate things. When you use the swift action to start a judgement it uses up 1 use per day, and then will last until the end of combat.

When you start the judgement you choose one of the bonuses, let's say +1 attack for this example. However if 3 rounds later you've been hit by the big bad evil pugwampi, and decide you could use more HP, you can use a swift action to change your judgement bonus to fast healing 1. You aren't starting another judgement, you're changing the bonus from one thing to another.

prd wrote:
When the inquisitor uses this ability, she must select one type of judgment to make. As a swift action, she can change this judgment to another type.

Also to be certain people understand, a 1st level inquisitor can make his judgement bonus to be anything from the list, and as said above can change it once per round to a different bonus. This combined with bane and monster lore is why an inquisitor is one of the most versatile classes. They'll know what the monster does, can judge to defend against it and/or bane and judge to attack against the monster's defenses.

Liberty's Edge

Alizor wrote:
ancientdm wrote:
Severalmembers of my group were looking at the inquisitor class recently, If at 1st lvl you get one judgement and then as a swift action you can change that judgement to another type wouldn't that be considered 2 judgements? and therefore not usable until attaining 4th level when yo actually can cast more judgements?

Incorrect. Think of the Judgement use and the bonuses as two separate things. When you use the swift action to start a judgement it uses up 1 use per day, and then will last until the end of combat.

When you start the judgement you choose one of the bonuses, let's say +1 attack for this example. However if 3 rounds later you've been hit by the big bad evil pugwampi, and decide you could use more HP, you can use a swift action to change your judgement bonus to fast healing 1. You aren't starting another judgement, you're changing the bonus from one thing to another.

prd wrote:
When the inquisitor uses this ability, she must select one type of judgment to make. As a swift action, she can change this judgment to another type.
Also to be certain people understand, a 1st level inquisitor can make his judgement bonus to be anything from the list, and as said above can change it once per round to a different bonus. This combined with bane and monster lore is why an inquisitor is one of the most versatile classes. They'll know what the monster does, can judge to defend against it and/or bane and judge to attack against the monster's defenses.

Thanks that does clear things up one of the problems was that it appeared as though you could change the bonus every round if you wanted to even at first level and that didnt seem correct.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / A question of Inquisitors and their judgments. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.