RPG Superstar Monster Drawings!


RPG Superstar™ 2010 General Discussion

1 to 50 of 121 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

Hey all, I've been sketching some of the monsters (still a few to scan) and decided to share them. I painted one of them and may do a few more if I have the time.

Chaitrakhan.

ChaitrakhanII.

Churjiir.

Astromal.

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

Dude! Those are so cool!

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka MythrilDragon

Very Nice...will you be doing all the monsters?

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

Neat! Nice job.

Sovereign Court

Thanks guys! Any feedback, especially from the writer, is welcome of course. I know I probably did not get right everything they saw in their own mind.

Andrew Black wrote:
Very Nice...will you be doing all the monsters?

I don't know, I was just doodling some of the ones that inspired me. It's fun to do so I will do as many as time permits.

Dark Archive

Delicious, CJ! I'm loving what you've done with the astrumal and churjiir, personally.

The ones I've done so far are:

Chymick
Churjiir

End shameless plug. :P

Liberty's Edge Contributor , Star Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Star Voter Season 9

Cool stuff, CJ!

This is the first time I saw your chymick, N'wah. It looks sweet.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Awesome monsters!


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Callous Jack wrote:

Hey all, I've been sketching some of the monsters (still a few to scan) and decided to share them. I painted one of them and may do a few more if I have the time.

Chaitrakhan.

ChaitrakhanII.

Churjiir.

Astromal.

You should be posting monsters in the other monster thread! :P


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
N'wah wrote:


Chymick
Churjiir

End shameless plug. :P

so does this mean we may see a superstar paper minis set?

Dark Archive

deinol wrote:
N'wah wrote:


Chymick
Churjiir

End shameless plug. :P

so does this mean we may see a superstar paper minis set?

If Paizo gives the o-tay and people really want 'em, I suppose it might be doable. Maybe a team effort on this one- get a few folks together to do a few each, and release it as a promo thing? Hmm...

Dark Archive

N'wah wrote:
Chymick

Your Chymick is really good!

Seeing a depiction of the Astrumal only reinforced by inability to handle an asymmetrical creature. Ick. The wrongness!

I pictured the Chaitrikhan slimmer, perhaps, more like a cheetah in build, only artificially bulked up by the icy carapace... Still, that well-fed looking dude is cool, especially the fluffed out second version.

Liberty's Edge

awesome work both of you guys :D


N'wah wrote:

The ones I've done so far are:

Chymick
Churjiir

End shameless plug. :P

Is it just me, or does that Churjiir picture look like two normal rats that are really, really good friends? :-)

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka MythrilDragon

N'wah wrote:

Delicious, CJ! I'm loving what you've done with the astrumal and churjiir, personally.

The ones I've done so far are:

Chymick
Churjiir

End shameless plug. :P

These are also very good. I hope you do more of the top monsters.

Sovereign Court

Hugo Solis wrote:
Callous Jack wrote:

Hey all, I've been sketching some of the monsters (still a few to scan) and decided to share them. I painted one of them and may do a few more if I have the time.

Chaitrakhan.

ChaitrakhanII.

Churjiir.

Astromal.

You should be posting monsters in the other monster thread! :P

I forgot about that thread...

=P

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter Season 6

No lahamu love?

Sovereign Court

Matthew Morris wrote:
No lahamu love?

I have a rough thumbnail but that's about it for now.

Sovereign Court

Update:
Ardorwesp.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7 aka Draconas

Callous Jack wrote:

Astromal.

That is pretty close to how I envisioned the Astrumal, so you get a thumbs up from me. You got some awesome skill there, Jack.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Callous Jack wrote:

Update:

Ardorwesp.

Pure awesome!

Silver Crusade Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 8

Jack,
I LOVE what you did with the Chaitrakhan. I really love the color choices, and I think the bulkier body works with it VERY well.
I really love the Ardorwesp. You captured what an organic-like construct might truly look like.
It reminds me of the paradoxical theme in the Matrix movies of all of the Machine's creations looking organic (the squids, the bug thing in Neo's stomach, etc) while the Human ships and those walking battle suits all looked like machines.
But I digress.
SO COOL MAN! Thanks for doing these.
Keep it up. I am greedy for more.
-QGJ

Dedicated Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 7

N'wah and Callous Jack-

wonderful work you guys!
Reminds me why I like RPGs...

Honestly- half the time I buy the books and suchlike just for the awesome art...

M

Liberty's Edge

Callous Jack wrote:

Update:

Ardorwesp.

cool man, this creatures feast is only gettin better and better :D

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter Season 6

Finally got to look at these.

Thanks they're proving... Useful.

Wonder if someone could make a 16 page Bestiary style PDF with the stats for the monsters and sketches (17 if you use my lahamu stats)

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2010 Top 8 aka AWizardInDallas

What? No Splorudra? ;)

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32 , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 7 aka Standback

Callous Jack wrote:

Hey all, I've been sketching some of the monsters (still a few to scan) and decided to share them. I painted one of them and may do a few more if I have the time.

Jack, these are gorgeous. The painted Chaitrakhan in particular is stunning. Thanks for sharing with us...

Sovereign Court

Joshua Kitchens wrote:
That is pretty close to how I envisioned the Astrumal, so you get a thumbs up from me. You got some awesome skill there, Jack.
Jesse Benner wrote:

Jack,

I LOVE what you did with the Chaitrakhan. I really love the color choices, and I think the bulkier body works with it VERY well.

Wow, thanks to everyone for their comments, I appreciate them very much. :-) I'm also happy to see that I got at least two monsters drawn right according to their creators even if I did put the Astrumal's appendages on the wrong side.

:-\

Richard A. Hunt wrote:
What? No Splorudra? ;)

Just for that I'm doing it last.

;-)

Matthew Morris wrote:
Wonder if someone could make a 16 page Bestiary style PDF with the stats for the monsters and sketches (17 if you use my lahamu stats)

I've always wondered what Paizo's plans are [if any] for the Superstar monsters? Would they ever put contestants into a future Bestiary?

Here's another sketch:
Wyrmhir.

Dark Archive

Nice!


Fun thread! Thanks, Jack and N'wah, for sharing.

The Exchange

Matthew Morris wrote:


Wonder if someone could make a 16 page Bestiary style PDF with the stats for the monsters and sketches (17 if you use my lahamu stats)

My understanding of the rules is that this would require specific permission, as all your entries are belong to Paizo, but I'd love to see this done.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16, 2011 Top 32 , Star Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 7, Star Voter Season 8

Callous Jack wrote:


Here's another sketch:
Wyrmhir.

Righteous! The little bugger looks just like I imagined him!

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter Season 6

brock wrote:
Matthew Morris wrote:


Wonder if someone could make a 16 page Bestiary style PDF with the stats for the monsters and sketches (17 if you use my lahamu stats)

My understanding of the rules is that this would require specific permission, as all your entries are belong to Paizo, but I'd love to see this done.

So would I, thus tossing it out there ;-)

Same thing for the magic items from the past few years.

Shadow Lodge Star Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 8

James Martin wrote:
Callous Jack wrote:


Here's another sketch:
Wyrmhir.
Righteous! The little bugger looks just like I imagined him!

I always though he was a bit more.. deformed than that. He looks like a snake with an iguana's head and fleshless bat-wings glued to it... And it's still cool!

I need the stats.. anyone stat the little freak up yet?

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7 aka Draconas

Callous Jack wrote:


Wow, thanks to everyone for their comments, I appreciate them very much. :-) I'm also happy to see that I got at least two monsters drawn right according to their creators even if I did put the Astrumal's appendages on the wrong side.
:-\

Yeah, that was a minor detail I was gonna mention at first but decided it still works out well enough. Maybe this astrumal is just drunk on some quicksilver and got itself flipped all around and upside down.

Sovereign Court

Joshua Kitchens wrote:
Yeah, that was a minor detail I was gonna mention at first but decided it still works out well enough. Maybe this astrumal is just drunk on some quicksilver and got itself flipped all around and upside down.

I was watching the Olympics while I drew it and I must have gotten distracted because only towards the end did I realize what I had done wrong but by then it was too late.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2010 Top 8 aka AWizardInDallas

Callous Jack wrote:


Richard A. Hunt wrote:
What? No Splorudra? ;)

Just for that I'm doing it last.

;-)

LOL! Fabulous! :)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2009, RPG Superstar Judgernaut

Richard A. Hunt wrote:
Callous Jack wrote:


Richard A. Hunt wrote:
What? No Splorudra? ;)

Just for that I'm doing it last.

;-)
LOL! Fabulous! :)

Personally, I think you win. After all, he's now committed to doing an illustration for you. ;-)

Sovereign Court

Neil Spicer wrote:
Personally, I think you win. After all, he's now committed to doing an illustration for you. ;-)

*takes out Nixonian blacklist and scrawls Neil's name at the top*

|
So I did a really rough sketch of the Ossuary Golem that I cleaned up in Photoshop. Matthew McGee left the description fairly vague so I got a little creative, perhaps too creative. I'm not sure if this design is potentially cool or just really stupid (I'm flip-flopping). I wanted to integrate more architectural pieces like columns, stairs, tombstones, maybe gargoyles, etc. and plus having large chunks of ionic pillars to bash people with seemed interesting.
What do you think?

Ossuary Golem?

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7 aka Draconas

I admit it, I laughed. Alot. Reminds me of Rumble, the little minion of Soundwave from Transformers.

Sovereign Court

Joshua Kitchens wrote:
I admit it, I laughed. Alot. Reminds me of Rumble, the little minion of Soundwave from Transformers.

Hehe... he does look like Rumble!

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7 aka Draconas

Callous Jack wrote:
Joshua Kitchens wrote:
I admit it, I laughed. Alot. Reminds me of Rumble, the little minion of Soundwave from Transformers.
Hehe... he does look like Rumble!

Awesome job regardless though, Jack. :)

The Exchange

He sure does look like Rumble! Too cool!

Sovereign Court

Fake Healer wrote:

He sure does look like Rumble! Too cool!

Okay, I think I'm going to trash that route for drawing the golem. I find myself chuckling now too as I look at the Transformers pic. I'm pretty sure laughter is not the reaction you want from a party of adventurers!

I'll figure something else out. :-)

The Exchange

Aww, man! What if we gave him an ability like the Boots of Stomping? You know, like a cone of earthquake, save or knocked prone? Come on, this is cool, especially if you make your Eidolon look like one and use sonic spells.....

Sovereign Court

Fake Healer wrote:

Aww, man! What if we gave him an ability like the Boots of Stomping? You know, like a cone of earthquake, save or knocked prone? Come on, this is cool, especially if you make your Eidolon look like one and use sonic spells.....

*Scrawls in Fake Healer's name above Neil on the Nixonian blacklist*

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

When I first pictured an Ossuary Golem, I saw a gaunt version of a stone golem, smooth as marble with brass trimmings, with deep-set eyes and a hideous grin etched into its features.

But now I have "undead mecha" trapped in my forebrain.


Nicely done, can't wait to see more!

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

Joshua Kitchens wrote:
I admit it, I laughed. Alot. Reminds me of Rumble, the little minion of Soundwave from Transformers.

Same thing I thought of.

Star Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

Chris Mortika wrote:

When I first pictured an Ossuary Golem, I saw a gaunt version of a stone golem, smooth as marble with brass trimmings, with deep-set eyes and a hideous grin etched into its features.

But now I have "undead mecha" trapped in my forebrain.

Funny I had thought of harryhuesen's skeletons initially, followed by the his colossus. After going back to read the description it was only the skull that stuck correctly. I should have remembered the glowing eyes.

These are cool, and I would like to see more.

1 to 50 of 121 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Archive / Paizo / RPG Superstar™ / Previous Contests / RPG Superstar™ 2010 / General Discussion / RPG Superstar Monster Drawings! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.