The point of the Healing Hex?


Round 2: Summoner and Witch

Dark Archive

Yeah, pretty much the title. If witch's already get cure light wounds, then why bother with an ability that does the same thing? Just thinking.


Because the witch can do this once per day to every creature on the plane.

Dark Archive

I'd much rather have cause/remove blindness, cause/remove deafness, and heal/wound as appropriate than the healing offered. Before you say anything they could be limited to 1+Int /day to keep them in check.

Dark Archive

Madcap Storm King wrote:
Because the witch can do this once per day to every creature on the plane.

And while at low levels that is very impressive, at higher levels it don't mean jack. I need to playtest this.

Dark Archive

Because when you consider that that's one free casting of a spell on your list per creature each day, that means your spells stretch further than normal, and you aren't stuck working with just healing magic.

Think of it as their version of channel energy.

dm4hire wrote:
I'd much rather have cause/remove blindness, cause/remove deafness, and heal/wound as appropriate than the healing offered. Before you say anything they could be limited to 1+Int /day to keep them in check.

Eh, I wouldn't agree with it. The healing is added as a White Witch option.

I think they're look more at a White witch and the traditional Black witch than anything. With that you have to have "good" options, your options are almost decidedly gray, which doesn't reinforce the white aspect of the witch. Those healing options are purely to put more of a good spin in there methinks.

Dark Archive

Dissinger wrote:

Because when you consider that that's one free casting of a spell on your list per creature each day, that means your spells stretch further than normal, and you aren't stuck working with just healing magic.

Think of it as their version of channel energy.

But channel energy gets better as a character advances in level. This 'healing power' never gets any better than a potential 13 hp healed at 5th level; after that, the power pales in comparison to other methods of healing available at latter levels. By the time players are 10th level, their HP is so high 13 hp (or maybe just 6hp) isn't even worth using the standard action with a chance of provoking.

Maybe if you could use this ability as a move action. Maybe.

Dark Archive

Goblins Eighty-Five wrote:
Dissinger wrote:

Because when you consider that that's one free casting of a spell on your list per creature each day, that means your spells stretch further than normal, and you aren't stuck working with just healing magic.

Think of it as their version of channel energy.

But channel energy gets better as a character advances in level. This never gets any better than a potential 13 hp healed at 5th level; after that, the power pales in comparison to other methods of healing available at latter levels. By the time players are 10th level, their HP is so high 13 hp isn't even worth using the standard action with a chance of provoking.

Maybe if you could use this ability as a move action. Maybe.

Considering that you often use channel energy outside of combat unless you spend a precious feat slot for selective channeling, I don't see too much a difference, and you can also get major healing.

And to clarify more. No one said it had to be exactly the same, there has to be some variance or you're just playing an arcane cleric.

Dark Archive

Dissinger wrote:

I don't see too much a difference, and you can also get major healing.

And to clarify more. No one said it had to be exactly the same, there has to be some variance or you're just playing an arcane cleric.

But by taking Major healing, you've completely wasted a whole minor hex, never to be used again.

I don't understand you're second statement.

Dark Archive

Goblins Eighty-Five wrote:
Dissinger wrote:

I don't see too much a difference, and you can also get major healing.

And to clarify more. No one said it had to be exactly the same, there has to be some variance or you're just playing an arcane cleric.

But by taking Major healing, you've completely wasted a whole minor hex, never to be used again.

I don't understand you're second statement.

1) You can always use both. Nowhere does it say just because you get a better one the lesser one is no longer usable.

2) I'm saying while comparing it to channel energy, OF COURSE ITS NOT CHANNEL ENERGY. If it was channel energy then the witch would be no better than a arcane cleric that happens to have a pseudo spell book.

Dark Archive

Dissinger wrote:
Goblins Eighty-Five wrote:
Dissinger wrote:

I don't see too much a difference, and you can also get major healing.

And to clarify more. No one said it had to be exactly the same, there has to be some variance or you're just playing an arcane cleric.

But by taking Major healing, you've completely wasted a whole minor hex, never to be used again.

I don't understand you're second statement.

1) You can always use both. Nowhere does it say just because you get a better one the lesser one is no longer usable.

2) I'm saying while comparing it to channel energy, OF COURSE ITS NOT CHANNEL ENERGY. If it was channel energy then the witch would be no better than a arcane cleric that happens to have a pseudo spell book.

Ah. Yeah, I would have to disagree with giving them channel energy as well. Also, after a quick review, I noticed that this is Supernatural ability, meaning it doesn't provoke to use.

Shadow Lodge

I like the Healing Hexes, I really do. It reminds me of people going to Witches to get their wounds treated.


Goblins Eighty-Five wrote:
Dissinger wrote:
Goblins Eighty-Five wrote:
Dissinger wrote:

I don't see too much a difference, and you can also get major healing.

And to clarify more. No one said it had to be exactly the same, there has to be some variance or you're just playing an arcane cleric.

But by taking Major healing, you've completely wasted a whole minor hex, never to be used again.

I don't understand you're second statement.

1) You can always use both. Nowhere does it say just because you get a better one the lesser one is no longer usable.

2) I'm saying while comparing it to channel energy, OF COURSE ITS NOT CHANNEL ENERGY. If it was channel energy then the witch would be no better than a arcane cleric that happens to have a pseudo spell book.

Ah. Yeah, I would have to disagree with giving them channel energy as well. Also, after a quick review, I noticed that this is Supernatural ability, meaning it doesn't provoke to use.

As it is now, all hexes provoke to use, which leads me to wonder how the offensive touch hex is supposed to work.

Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Advanced Player's Guide Playtest / Round 2: Summoner and Witch / The point of the Healing Hex? All Messageboards
Recent threads in Round 2: Summoner and Witch