Permanent Enhancement Bonuses


Rules Questions


Pathfinder doesn't seem to differentiate between different kinds of ability bonus (enhancement, etc.), and magic items that offer stat boosts are treated as "permanent" after 24 hours.

According to Page 555, a permanent bonus "actually increases the relevant ability..."

So the implications of this are pretty big, since it doesn't seem to have any restrictions:

1) Qualifying for casting higher level spells (for when you need a 19 INT to cast 9th level spells for example)

2) Qualifying for feats: For when a certain attribute is required to gain that feat

3) Qualifying for PrC's - for when a certain feat is required when that feat is only qualified for through the bonus.

Is there any official word as to whether this is how it works? If not, what are peoples opinions?


I think that's exactly how it works, and I don't see much problem. Too bad that if u loose tha item or something u also loose the feat that u got because of it (or spell or anything).

That's the way I see it.


One question I had relating to this was about INT enhancement items:
After 24 hours, you gain specific benefits, specifically an additional maxed skill (fixed per item). Logically extending this paradigm, I think one should also gain a bonus Language (fixed per item), but this isn't specifically called out. If this seems reasonable and in line with the intent, the wording should probably be changed to also reference bonus Language(s).


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Quandary wrote:

One question I had relating to this was about INT enhancement items:

After 24 hours, you gain specific benefits, specifically an additional maxed skill (fixed per item). Logically extending this paradigm, I think one should also gain a bonus Language (fixed per item), but this isn't specifically called out. If this seems reasonable and in line with the intent, the wording should probably be changed to also reference bonus Language(s).

I do believe that James has stated in another thread that yes, there is also a language(s) hard coded into the headband along with the hard coded skill(s).


OK, so enhancement bonus is basically treated in every way as though the stat were higher (once it is considered "permanent").

Good to know. Thanks for the responses!

The Exchange Owner - D20 Hobbies

Treantmonk wrote:
Is there any official word as to whether this is how it works? If not, what are peoples opinions?

That is the way I see it as well. Isn't this the way it officially worked (in FAQ) in 3.5 rules also?


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
James Risner wrote:
Treantmonk wrote:
Is there any official word as to whether this is how it works? If not, what are peoples opinions?
That is the way I see it as well. Isn't this the way it officially worked (in FAQ) in 3.5 rules also?

Yep worked the same.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Permanent Enhancement Bonuses All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.