Solid fog nerf too heavy for a 4th level spell?


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion


Recently I noticed a kinda heavy nerf to Solid Fog. In the old days it was able to occupy enemies for the several rounds it took them to move out, but now it only reduces movement speed to half, meaning most opponents get out in 1 round. Otherwise it's basically just a fog cloud with a little movement restriction.

But it's still 4th level. Shouldn't the spell not be 3rd for its power level? Which is the logical upgrade from fog cloud to a fog-cloud-with-a-bit-of-movement-restriciton.


Funkytrip wrote:

Recently I noticed a kinda heavy nerf to Solid Fog. In the old days it was able to occupy enemies for the several rounds it took them to move out, but now it only reduces movement speed to half, meaning most opponents get out in 1 round. Otherwise it's basically just a fog cloud with a little movement restriction.

But it's still 4th level. Shouldn't the spell not be 3rd for its power level? Which is the logical upgrade from fog cloud to a fog-cloud-with-a-bit-of-movement-restriciton.

I noticed this as well a couple weeks ago. Quite annoyed. Personally I thought the spell felt about right for a 4th level slot, though if they wanted to nerf they could have reduced the area instead. Thing is now it is just WORSE than using Black Tentacles since BT makes the area difficult terrain effectively emulating the half movement, but also grapples and does damage.


If you can't cast out of Solid Fog, that's one advantage over the tentacles, which is a signature over-powered spell which has some interactions with the loss of the concentration skill. Is the new solid fog equal to stinking cloud, in your opinion?


I actually like this. The fact that it occupied enemies for several rounds at a time was largely annoying for me, and when used against the players, it was equally poorly received. I kind of like the new nerf to it, but I can see your point about the idea of it being a 3rd level spell. It does seem a little weak compared to other 4th level spells; perhaps I'll need to judge it in play before I come to a direct conclusion.


roguerouge wrote:
If you can't cast out of Solid Fog, that's one advantage over the tentacles, which is a signature over-powered spell which has some interactions with the loss of the concentration skill. Is the new solid fog equal to stinking cloud, in your opinion?

I am not sure how a no-save movement restriction fog compares to a save-or-be-nauseated fog without a movement restriction. To me it seems equal. Stinking cloud definately better at lower levels, but the solid fog becoming better at higher levels where getting an opponent out of action for at least a round means a lot.

Still, way too weak for a 4th level. There are a lot of high level spells which are pretty weak for its level, but Solid Fog had a history of being in most player's spellbook. Would be sad to see it become one of those spells you just don't pick ever because there's better spells out there.

An alternative would be to make the movement 5ft + 5ft for every increments of 5 you pass a strength roll DC10 or so, which will ensure that tougher opponents will make it through the mist faster than weak opponents.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Funkytrip wrote:
An alternative would be to make the movement 5ft + 5ft for every increments of 5 you pass a strength roll DC10 or so, which will ensure that tougher opponents will make it through the mist faster than weak opponents.

How about 5ft + 5ft/strength modifier?


Wow... hadn't caught that one. It was a bit too easy to use solid fog to outright brutal effect in combination with other spells. The fact that it got nerfed doesn't surprise me...

It feels like it's a bit overboard but I'll have to play it and find out.

I happen to know this spell was used to deadly effect in some of the Paizo in house games so it's likely they play tested it after the nerf also.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / Solid fog nerf too heavy for a 4th level spell? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.