Shield Speech


Rules Questions

Owner - Pikes Comics

Per RAW, does this grant the ability to speak to creatures who understand and know a language but cant speak it?

IE A dog animal companion who has int 3+ who has been given ranks in Linguistics.


I'd say no, the Griffon being an example of something that naturally "understands" common, but cannot speak.

"Cannot speak" being a lack of the proper anatomy to do so, I think. How does a Raven Familiar do it? I'm gonna guess magic means, since birds only mimic sounds normally.

Sure would be a great spell though, to make mundane animals speak languages like some of the magical beasts do. 'Speak with Animals' only allows you to converse in THEIR language. :(

Owner - Pikes Comics

I just want something to let my animal companion be able to speak to my party....he would be much more interesting to talk to :)


Well, I don't know of anything off the top of my head that allows animals to speak langauges, but you could always ask your DM for a "Flavor Favor" if it's a home game.

"Comprehend Languages" is 1st level Cleric/Bard/Wizard/Sorcerer
"Speak w/ Animals" is 1st level Druid

  • Create a NEW spell using these two spells, likely a 2nd level spell.
  • Create a NEW magic item(collar) that said animal would wear and be constantly active. Constant effects are expensive, you're looking at 5000+gp easy.

    Mind you, 3+ INT isn't really all that smart, so you might still just have a jibbering "special" kid on you hands... lol, I would ask your DM.


  • lostpike wrote:
    I just want something to let my animal companion be able to speak to my party....he would be much more interesting to talk to :)

    The tongues spell is your friend especially since the share spell ability means you can cast it on your AC/Familiar/Mount/et al.


    Abraham spalding wrote:
    The tongues spell is your friend especially since the share spell ability means you can cast it on your AC/Familiar/Mount/et al.

    Ah ha! LOL, totally blanked on that one... it's wand-able to being Bard2/Cleric4/Sorcerer/Wiz 3.

    Owner - Pikes Comics

    Daniel Moyer wrote:
    Abraham spalding wrote:
    The tongues spell is your friend especially since the share spell ability means you can cast it on your AC/Familiar/Mount/et al.
    Ah ha! LOL, totally blanked on that one... it's wand-able to being Bard2/Cleric4/Sorcerer/Wiz 3.

    To bad I want it for a Druid in Pathfinder Society..


    lostpike wrote:
    Daniel Moyer wrote:
    Abraham spalding wrote:
    The tongues spell is your friend especially since the share spell ability means you can cast it on your AC/Familiar/Mount/et al.
    Ah ha! LOL, totally blanked on that one... it's wand-able to being Bard2/Cleric4/Sorcerer/Wiz 3.
    To bad I want it for a Druid in Pathfinder Society..

    Use Magic Device is your other friend. ;D

    Dark Archive

    Since a Raven familiar can speak one of it's masters languages as a Supernatural ability right at 1st level, I'd allow a player with a different familiar to give up the other bonus (+3 to skill X) to have a cat or monkey that is able to to speak. It's just a cool bit of flavor.

    As for an Animal Companion, unless the PC wanted to drop link or share spells, there's not anything quite as convenient to swap out. Still, I could see a fey-themed druid with a talking wolf, so I'd allow the wolf to 'learn the man-tongue' as a Feat, getting the same ability that the Raven gets. He wouldn't be able to speak until he gets his first Feat, but it would still be an option.

    Sovereign Court

    Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber

    As per the RAW, I think you can awaken a familiar and retain them.

    Owner - Pikes Comics

    Purple Dragon Knight wrote:
    As per the RAW, I think you can awaken a familiar and retain them.

    Cant seem to get my rules guide for pathfinder society to open...is Awakened an allowed spell?

    Owner - Pikes Comics

    lostpike wrote:
    Purple Dragon Knight wrote:
    As per the RAW, I think you can awaken a familiar and retain them.
    Cant seem to get my rules guide for pathfinder society to open...is Awakened an allowed spell?

    Nevermind...per Awakened spell...

    An awakened animal can't serve as an animal companion, familiar, or special mount.

    The Exchange

    Can't you just get a magic item crafted with the Tongues spell on it for the familiar? A Collar of Tongues or some such?


    For Society play, I would just go with the 'Wand of Tongues' and 'Use Magic Device'. You'll save yourself a lot of explaining if you have multiple DMs, not to mention potential denial of a crafted item from one table to the next.

    I think you could buy a 'Bards' wand of it(2nd level spell), which is 4,500gp and gets you 20 mins. of Scooby Speak.

    The other thing is, if you do have multiple DMs, some DMs are going to be a lot less cooperative with 3+ INT animals and how they respond. It would be really frustrating to have spent the time and money to be like some sort of cartoon gangster that leads a bunch of bumbling idiots.

    Sovereign Court

    Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber
    lostpike wrote:
    lostpike wrote:
    Purple Dragon Knight wrote:
    As per the RAW, I think you can awaken a familiar and retain them.
    Cant seem to get my rules guide for pathfinder society to open...is Awakened an allowed spell?

    Nevermind...per Awakened spell...

    An awakened animal can't serve as an animal companion, familiar, or special mount.

    Ah! the designers were wise in the ways of the Force! :)

    Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Shield Speech All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.