2 Rules Questions


Rules Questions


1. Vital strike - Is it a standard action, and if so, is it the only attack you can take that round regardless of how many you are normally entitled to?

2. Weapon size (Core Rulebook pgs 141, 144) States:"A creature can't make optimum use of a weapon that isn't properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference...."
Next paragraph: "...is altered by one step for each size category of difference..."

Question is...if a medium creature swings a large one-handed weapon, two-handed, does he suffer the -2 penalty to attack rolls?

Thanks in advance and we here in Razorback territory love PF!

Dave


Kosfinne wrote:
1. Vital strike - Is it a standard action, and if so, is it the only attack you can take that round regardless of how many you are normally entitled to?

Yes. It's intended to be an ability to boost damage when full round actions are not possible. As for the second part, generally yes but I think there are exceptions.

Kosfinne wrote:

2. Weapon size (Core Rulebook pgs 141, 144) States:"A creature can't make optimum use of a weapon that isn't properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference...."

Next paragraph: "...is altered by one step for each size category of difference..."

Question is...if a medium creature swings a large one-handed weapon, two-handed, does he suffer the -2 penalty to attack rolls?

Yes. Though IMO it's kind of silly.


Dennis da Ogre wrote:
Kosfinne wrote:
1. Vital strike - Is it a standard action, and if so, is it the only attack you can take that round regardless of how many you are normally entitled to?

Yes. It's intended to be an ability to boost damage when full round actions are not possible. As for the second part, generally yes but I think there are exceptions.

Kosfinne wrote:

2. Weapon size (Core Rulebook pgs 141, 144) States:"A creature can't make optimum use of a weapon that isn't properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference...."

Next paragraph: "...is altered by one step for each size category of difference..."

Question is...if a medium creature swings a large one-handed weapon, two-handed, does he suffer the -2 penalty to attack rolls?

Yes. Though IMO it's kind of silly.

You're right, the penalty still applies, though it might not be quite so silly.

Imagine a long sword made to fit the hand of a 10' tall ogre. Yes, it's only about as big as a greatsword now, but the blade is a little too thick, the hilt is way too long putting the center of balance just a bit awkward for a greatsword, and worst of all, the hilt that you should grip comfortably is as big around as your wrist and really weird to hold onto (think about gripping a baseball bat at the wrong end - sure, your hands can grasp it, but not as well as when you grasp the correct end - if you could, then the bat wouldn't taper down at the grip the way it does).

All those awkward things add up to making it weird to use.

Hence the -2 penalty.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / 2 Rules Questions All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.