Lance + special materials


Rules Questions


Can i put tips on my lance (i.e.) can i put a cold iron tip or a mithral tip on my lance??


chinsu wrote:
Can i put tips on my lance (i.e.) can i put a cold iron tip or a mithral tip on my lance??

Per the rules I would say that lances would be made completely out of whatever special material you had. Similar to a cold iron or adamantine sword or hammer or something.

It might be a decent house rule, however, to allow special materials for lance tips. In my experience it's not a commonly used weapon and it might be nice to see some sort of benefit for it - other than the double damage when used on a charging mount.

Grand Lodge

Well, the rules do not clarify that ALL of the weapon must be made from the special material, but I believe that is the intent.

A lance would normally be made of wood and have a small metal cap for combat. Similar to an arrow with the shaft made from wood and a metal head.

So, since you can make an arrow into a metallic special material I don't see why you can't for a lance. However, the way it phrases it, it sound like the entire weapon must be made from the special material, primarily because there are no special weights and such for arrowheads, and component parts of weapons.

So, I would say, for simplicity sake for rules, no cap, but make the whole weapon special.

HOWEVER, in my own game, yeah I would allow it.


For general easy of use I tend to go whole weapon either way. It keeps fussing over sundering to a minimum and everyone understands just what they got and why they can't have a darkwood shaft shod in cold iron and tipped with an adamantine glaive blade.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber
Abraham spalding wrote:
For general easy of use I tend to go whole weapon either way. It keeps fussing over sundering to a minimum and everyone understands just what they got and why they can't have a darkwood shaft shod in cold iron and tipped with an adamantine glaive blade.

That last bit would be awesome for flavor purposes.

But wouldn't an adamantine lance be incredibly heavy? Not to mention the sheer size of such a thing would require a large amount of adamantine. Maybe the tip could be adamantine and the rest of the weapon treated with some magic to allow the lance to withstand the greater forces one would place upon such a weapon.


Personally? I don't sweat it. Generally the guy packing such a weapon has a strength of over twenty anyways, if not much more over 20 by the time he can afford adamantine. Also I tend to look at it along the same lines as OoTS does, a little bit goes a long way.

I never really did understand the idea that adamantine somehow heavier than steel or iron is. The way I figure it at that level of strength in the metal you could actually make a hollow tube for a handle and not sweat it. It's still going to be just as hard, and will still be able to hold up to the pressure much better than a wooden shaft would have.

Shadow Lodge

It's allowed in Dragonlance, and there was a lance in a FR book that was also Mithral (Magic of Faerun I thin, but might be Players Guide).

The 3.5 DMG had silver arrows, I am almost sure.

Liberty's Edge

ok I know this is a fantasy game, but I did a little research in the real world. as per the World Book Encyclopedia a lance is a spear used for horse back, and implies it has a tip and not just a pointed stick. Wikipedia shows a lance tip from the re-enactment of the famous Eglinton Tournament.


Abraham spalding wrote:
I never really did understand the idea that adamantine somehow heavier than steel or iron is. The way I figure it at that level of strength in the metal you could actually make a hollow tube for a handle and not sweat it. It's still going to be just as hard, and will still be able to hold up to the pressure much better than a wooden shaft would have.

Do you really think you could machine a hollow handle using tools available at the time?


Jabor wrote:
Do you really think you could machine a hollow handle using tools available at the time?

The tools available? You mean magic? Absolutely.


Bear in mind that it's theoretically possible to produce adamantine gear through hammer-and-tongs Craft checks.


Zurai wrote:
Jabor wrote:
Do you really think you could machine a hollow handle using tools available at the time?
The tools available? You mean magic? Absolutely.

Or gnomes..... ;-)


Jabor wrote:
Bear in mind that it's theoretically possible to produce adamantine gear through hammer-and-tongs Craft checks.

Yes. And? Perhaps one of the reasons adamantine weapons are so expensive is because they require magicked tools to be properly made.

Alternately, you can make tubing using rolled sheets of metal. As long as you have a perfectly cylindrical object to wrap the sheet of metal around, and your sheet of metal is the correct size and of uniform thickness, it's "easy" (relatively speaking).

Liberty's Edge

Abraham spalding wrote:
For general easy of use I tend to go whole weapon either way. It keeps fussing over sundering to a minimum and everyone understands just what they got and why they can't have a darkwood shaft shod in cold iron and tipped with an adamantine glaive blade.

I think you can, only it's a matter of how you put it together. as for sundering, you could being it to there attention before they bother. but if they build a weakness in to it ( ie. Adamantine has 40hp per inch hardness 20 and darkwood is only 10hp per inch hardness 5 ) they need to live with it.

Glaive 8gp 10 lbs

Adamantine 3000gp ( this look to be a fixed coast weight doesn't matter)

Darkwood 408gp -5 lbs ( in my openion masterwork was paid for in the preveis step -300gp)

Coldiron buttspike ?gp 1or2 lbs ( this step may make it a double weapon half cold iron. if so ? = 4gp or 50% of the glaive gp)

( spikes on armor are 50gp and on shield 10gp. a spear or dagger is only 2gp x2 for coldiron=4gp)
Masterwork 300gp ( if the spike is it's own part in my openion you would have to pay this again for the 2nd half)

so this could be done for around 3420gp +or- 300gp depending on where the masterwork coast add in. I got my numbers from pg.142,143, & 154 of the pathfinder book. the first and only the first enchantment on the spike will coast will be increased by 2000gp. I'm didn't see if both ends are enchanced as 1 weapon or not.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Just a quick point, even though silver arrows are priced as if they are entirely silver, they are never actually described as all silver or just silver arrowheads. The point of the cost is game balance not actual composition. Use the formula for price(based on weapon price or weight) and describe it how you want it to be. That iss really all it takes to convert a lance to a specific material.


Jabor wrote:
Abraham spalding wrote:
I never really did understand the idea that adamantine somehow heavier than steel or iron is. The way I figure it at that level of strength in the metal you could actually make a hollow tube for a handle and not sweat it. It's still going to be just as hard, and will still be able to hold up to the pressure much better than a wooden shaft would have.
Do you really think you could machine a hollow handle using tools available at the time?

Me personally right now? No. The artisans and smiths available at that time? Yes. There is already documented proof of such acts being performed, and I have assurances from a few friends of mine that are blacksmiths that rolling a tube (what you are doing when you make a hollow handle) while a bit time consuming, isn't actually that hard.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Christopher Van Horn wrote:
Just a quick point, even though silver arrows are priced as if they are entirely silver, they are never actually described as all silver or just silver arrowheads. The point of the cost is game balance not actual composition. Use the formula for price(based on weapon price or weight) and describe it how you want it to be. That iss really all it takes to convert a lance to a specific material.

I guess an arrow made completely of silver/cold iron/adamantine wouldn't fly all that well...


Sorry to threadjack but its kinda relevent to the whole crux of the question.
If a spear is a stick with a sharp pointy metal bit attached to it and can be adamantine, etc. common sense tells me that the same can be true for a lance which is a really long, heavy, pointy thing with a metal tip.
So we can extend this to staves with silver shod ends?

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Spacelard wrote:

Sorry to threadjack but its kinda relevent to the whole crux of the question.

If a spear is a stick with a sharp pointy metal bit attached to it and can be adamantine, etc. common sense tells me that the same can be true for a lance which is a really long, heavy, pointy thing with a metal tip.
So we can extend this to staves with silver shod ends?

Certainly, often you will find NPCs who have an odd material weapon like a metal shod staff (or in the case of very strong NPCs a completely metal staff). There is one in "The Final Wish" adventure. Although it is only described as silver-shod and that fact appears to be omitted from the stat block of the NPC, it is a good example of a weapon described as special. I have also seen double axes with different metals for their different heads. The cost of these is usually left up to the DM and they are almost always at least masterwork because of their rarity.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Lance + special materials All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.