Fighting on a horse


Rules Questions


Once again I'm sad to read nothing on the fact to fight on a horse (without the fact to have a +1 bonus). I think if there were some rules on "riding fight", it would give a new option for the PC, concerning a gain in AC, or concealment, or the location of the damage on the horse or PC.
I think that there is not only fight on the ground, but using a mount can be a good alternativ that the PC don't use because of a lack of rules, like for the fight with a shield (no interesting feat or damage bonus).


sempai33 wrote:

Once again I'm sad to read nothing on the fact to fight on a horse (without the fact to have a +1 bonus). I think if there were some rules on "riding fight", it would give a new option for the PC, concerning a gain in AC, or concealment, or the location of the damage on the horse or PC.

I think that there is not only fight on the ground, but using a mount can be a good alternativ that the PC don't use because of a lack of rules, like for the fight with a shield (no interesting feat or damage bonus).

But but...but there ARE rules...Specifically:

Ride skill (Skill chapter)
Mounted Combat (Combat chapter) and
(Some) Feats (Feat chapter)

Sovereign Court

Beastman wrote:
sempai33 wrote:

Once again I'm sad to read nothing on the fact to fight on a horse (without the fact to have a +1 bonus). I think if there were some rules on "riding fight", it would give a new option for the PC, concerning a gain in AC, or concealment, or the location of the damage on the horse or PC.

I think that there is not only fight on the ground, but using a mount can be a good alternativ that the PC don't use because of a lack of rules, like for the fight with a shield (no interesting feat or damage bonus).

But but...but there ARE rules...Specifically:

Ride skill (Skill chapter)
Mounted Combat (Combat chapter) and
(Some) Feats (Feat chapter)

+1

Not to mention weapons that deal more damage on a mounted charge (lance), training the animal to do useful tricks (handle animal), and increased movement speeds.

There are reasons to do mounted combat, the problem is that unless you take a class that gets AnCo rules your horse becomes a liability because after level 5 or so most monsters you fight can drop your horse with 1 hit. So even if you use mounted combat to negate a hit, they just target the horse again, and suddenly your weapons, feats, and skill ranks are all useless.


Another problem with mounted combat is that often, the horse has trouble getting where you need to go. Are you going into a 5' tall dungeon? Climbing a cliff? Second floor of a building? If so, how are you bringing your horse with?

One workaround for that which seems like it should work (but I've never seen used) is a Small character on a Medium spider. The mount is medium size, so it should fit anywhere the humans and elves can go. It can also climb, so vertical barriers aren't much of a problem. Bringing him with into buildings could be an issue, but is seems more more workable than the iconic fighter on a horse.


udalrich wrote:
One workaround for that which seems like it should work (but I've never seen used) is a Small character on a Medium spider.

Ulala. I had a 3.5 player with a halfling fighter on a riding dog trained as a combat mount, a lance and mounted combat feats (i recall one being a feat allowing to charge even when not moving in a straight line - was from one of the splat books). DEVASTATING comes to mind - even in dungeons...

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Fighting on a horse All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.