Playtesting through the Rise of the Runelords


Playtest Reports


So we're on YouTube in its 'glory' and in book 4 of the series. Mokmurian has assembled a vast number of giants in his plans for Varisia's domination. The players found a way through the river caves under Jorgenfist.

The bad news is that we're enjoying ourselves a lot, to where we talk about it the other six days a week in phone calls and texts.

Tonight, we are doing a corpse run. Our druid fell to the General's Pickaxe of Half-orc Mutilation (88 points of damage and a critically confirmed kill - if you watch the video Times FOUR Multiplier) and the rest of his party needs to grab his gear and vamoose quickly otherwise the wrath of the other cavern inhabitants will descend upon them quickly.

This has been the most fun (even before I did my first confirmed kill with criticals in the seven years of 3.x) I've had in a campaign since I was running through the old D&D box adventures (undead tower, goblin caves, big box games of 1990's). I can't say "THANK YOU" enough to Paizo.

The worst thing about this playtest is that it is really a poor example because we've crammed 8 players and their characters around a table and I can't have one adventure go by without my dice saying "this person dies horridly". Is it really a demonstration of your genius by making the opportunity for adventure or is it just a brutal DM that no matter how many people play, Rovarug will slurp upon the blood of the dying somehow?

I'm unsure of it because we had to proceed through Seven Swords of Sin so the characters would have a decent amount of XP to make it after part two, when I started GM'ing for 8 people.

I don't think the players have been irritated about the dice being brutal, as they keep returning, vowing to beat the module series. Regardless, this has been the campaign that placed me back into the "local killer GM directory".

Take it as you will, as more Paizo things appear on local gamestore shelves, more of them will appear tableside at the ranch.

You guys rawk!


Okay, that lost me, sorry.
However, I do have a question for those of you who have run RotRL.
I know the adventure comes with 4 iconic characters.
What if I want to run 6 characters through? Maybe with an npc as well?
Do I need to adjust the encounters to keep the same level of difficulty? Thoughts?
Thanks!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Dosgamer wrote:

Okay, that lost me, sorry.

However, I do have a question for those of you who have run RotRL.
I know the adventure comes with 4 iconic characters.
What if I want to run 6 characters through? Maybe with an npc as well?
Do I need to adjust the encounters to keep the same level of difficulty? Thoughts?
Thanks!

There is at least this thread in RoTR part of the boards.


Cormac wrote:
Dosgamer wrote:

Okay, that lost me, sorry.

However, I do have a question for those of you who have run RotRL.
I know the adventure comes with 4 iconic characters.
What if I want to run 6 characters through? Maybe with an npc as well?
Do I need to adjust the encounters to keep the same level of difficulty? Thoughts?
Thanks!
There is at least this thread in RoTR part of the boards.

I am running with 8 and still finding that the preset encounters within are providing a challenge due to bottlenecks, environments, and the possibility of having to fight 150 stone giants.

Just a great setup for a campaign to long be remembered.


ummm where on youtube can i watch this vids?


omen2zippo wrote:

ummm where on youtube can i watch this vids?

youtube.com/brucelombardo75


Cormac and Beercifer, thanks so much. This is good to know!


Dosgamer wrote:
Cormac and Beercifer, thanks so much. This is good to know!

I'm uploading a few more videos of the night where all we accomplished was the fight between Mokmurian and the Tiaga giants in his lair. Xanesha and Lucrecia also helped out, but one glaring ruling screwed up everything.

I allowed the druid to do so much full attack/actions during the fight, instead of having him do a ride check/single attack. That really could have swayed the tide in battle because he was against the stone giant lord. Unfortunately for Mokmurian, critical hits (and their critical hit decks) happen.

*sigh*


Beercifer wrote:
Dosgamer wrote:
Cormac and Beercifer, thanks so much. This is good to know!

I'm uploading a few more videos of the night where all we accomplished was the fight between Mokmurian and the Tiaga giants in his lair. Xanesha and Lucrecia also helped out, but one glaring ruling screwed up everything.

I allowed the druid to do so much full attack/actions during the fight, instead of having him do a ride check/single attack. That really could have swayed the tide in battle because he was against the stone giant lord. Unfortunately for Mokmurian, critical hits (and their critical hit decks) happen.

*sigh*

Ahh...more videos for the internet!!!

www.youtube.com/brucelombardo75

Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game / Playtest Reports / Playtesting through the Rise of the Runelords All Messageboards
Recent threads in Playtest Reports
Rangers