Pathfinder Society Rules 2.0 F.A.Q.


Pathfinder Society

351 to 400 of 594 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
5/5 Venture-Agent, Ohio—Cincinnati

Are new PCs allowed to use the Campaign Traits from The Council of Thieves Campaign Guide? It is a very new book and isn't covered by PFS guide.
edit: top of the page!


Josh,

How does "Sacred Conduit" in the "Character Traits Web Enhancement" work in PFRPG. This was obviously designed for 3.5. Basically, it adds +2 to your turn/rebuke checks.

Is this only applicable to if you take the turn/rebuke feats? And if so does it add to the save DC or Duration?

Or, alternatively, does it add +2 damage when channeling energy to harm? Or does it add +2 to the save to save vs the damage (which seems unlikely because there is a full-blown feat that adds +2) when channeling?

Thanks in advance!


Piety Godfury wrote:

Josh,

How does "Sacred Conduit" in the "Character Traits Web Enhancement" work in PFRPG. This was obviously designed for 3.5. Basically, it adds +2 to your turn/rebuke checks.

Is this only applicable to if you take the turn/rebuke feats? And if so does it add to the save DC or Duration?

Or, alternatively, does it add +2 damage when channeling energy to harm? Or does it add +2 to the save to save vs the damage (which seems unlikely because there is a full-blown feat that adds +2) when channeling?

Thanks in advance!

Check out the updated Traits document. It now adds +1 to the save DC.


Derek Poppink wrote:

Check out the updated Traits document. It now adds +1 to the save DC.

Thanks,

I didn't realize they updated it. Can I get a link?

Thanks!

Sovereign Court

Piety Godfury wrote:
I didn't realize they updated it. Can I get a link?

Go to "My Downloads". It should be there.


Russell Akred wrote:

Are new PCs allowed to use the Campaign Traits from The Council of Thieves Campaign Guide? It is a very new book and isn't covered by PFS guide.

edit: top of the page!

I'm pretty sure I state in the Guide that no campaign traits are allowed from the Adventure Paths as they're specifically tailored for those Adventure Paths.


paizo.com/traits takes you there directly.

Scarab Sages

Joshua J. Frost wrote:
Per this thread, I'll be adding to a future update of the Guide that clerics of Irori do, in fact, receive the Improved Unarmed Strike feat so they can use their deities favored weapon without provoking an AoO.

Will Paladins get this too?

5/5 Venture-Agent, Ohio—Cincinnati

Joshua J. Frost wrote:
Russell Akred wrote:

Are new PCs allowed to use the Campaign Traits from The Council of Thieves Campaign Guide? It is a very new book and isn't covered by PFS guide.

edit: top of the page!
I'm pretty sure I state in the Guide that no campaign traits are allowed from the Adventure Paths as they're specifically tailored for those Adventure Paths.

Thank you


Karui Kage wrote:
Joshua J. Frost wrote:
Per this thread, I'll be adding to a future update of the Guide that clerics of Irori do, in fact, receive the Improved Unarmed Strike feat so they can use their deities favored weapon without provoking an AoO.
Will Paladins get this too?

No. They don't gain the favored weapon of their god as a free weapon proficiency.


In the PFRPG rules, it says:
"While the vast majority of clerics revere a specific deity, a small number dedicate themselves to a divine concept worthy of devotion—such as battle, death, justice, or knowledge—free of a deific abstraction. (Work with your GM if you prefer this path to selecting a specific deity.)"

Does that mean that a Pathfinder Society cleric can worship a "divine concept"? If so, can she choose any two domains, as long as they fit with the "divine concept"?

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

hogarth wrote:

In the PFRPG rules, it says:

"While the vast majority of clerics revere a specific deity, a small number dedicate themselves to a divine concept worthy of devotion—such as battle, death, justice, or knowledge—free of a deific abstraction. (Work with your GM if you prefer this path to selecting a specific deity.)"

Does that mean that a Pathfinder Society cleric can worship a "divine concept"? If so, can she choose any two domains, as long as they fit with the "divine concept"?

And furthermore, can they use this to worship a deity or concept that is not expressly permitted within PFS (or even statted yet) like an Empyreal Lord or Shimye-Magala. It's just flavor at that point anyway.


hogarth wrote:

In the PFRPG rules, it says:

"While the vast majority of clerics revere a specific deity, a small number dedicate themselves to a divine concept worthy of devotion—such as battle, death, justice, or knowledge—free of a deific abstraction. (Work with your GM if you prefer this path to selecting a specific deity.)"

Does that mean that a Pathfinder Society cleric can worship a "divine concept"? If so, can she choose any two domains, as long as they fit with the "divine concept"?

No, it causes too many abstractions for me to deal with. You lose some abilities (no deity favored weapon, for example) and distance yourself from the flavor of Golarion, something I'm not interested in seeing explored. There are plenty of options for Clerics, flavor-wise and domain-wise.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 4

MillerHero wrote:
Confirm for me please that the bonuses granted by masterwork tools or instruments and racial traits skill bonuses (such as the gnome's) do not apply to rolls to earn money for a character's Day Job, since they are neither Skill Ranks, Ability Score modifiers, nor applicable feat bonuses.

Josh, I'm sorry if you've already answered this, but I was unable to locate it.


If I have a gnome, he can't add his racial bonus to Craft/Profession to his "Day Job" roll, correct? (Only skill ranks + ability score mod + feat mods apply.)


Correct. The day job roll is made exactly as it is written in the Guide.

The Exchange 5/5 Venture-Agent, Kentucky—Lexington

Joshua J. Frost wrote:

a- The level cap is 12th level.

b-If you want to save up all of your money and have a PA level above 49, you can...

c- As for intelligent items ... please explain your perception of how they apply to the wish discussion?

a) Can you still play in the 12th level games if you are 12th already? Meaning can you still play and just "lose" the +1 XP since y

ou can't level to 13th?

b) Nice, I like this a lot.

c) Nothing. But can you buy Intelligent items?

New questions:

1) Killer trait from the www.paizo.com/traits web enhancement says:
"You deal additional damage equal to your weapon’s critical hit modifier when you score a successful critical"

Does that mean that a 19-20 X2 weapon would deal +2 damage and a 20 X4 weapon would deal +4 damage?

2) In the PCCS page 213 says "All Gear" and there is a Gear table. There is also a Heatstones box and Heatstones are not listed on the Gear table. I assume Heatstones are not available (because they are not on the Gear) list, but would prefer a "except Heatstones" or "including Heatstones" depending on your view.

3) In the same book, Firearms are on page 212, I assume they are not including (pretty sure) since they are not listed on page 209.

4) Again in the same book, there is some ammo listed on page 211. One is a firearm bullet ("Bullets") and clearly isn't included. I assume "Blowgun Dart" is included since Blowguns are. I assume "Smoke Bullets" are not included since there is no Sling on page 209, but there is a Bola? I assume "Thistle Arrow" is not included, but there is a Bow on page 209.

Liberty's Edge 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Alaska—Anchorage aka Dragnmoon

James Risner wrote:

a) Can you still play in the 12th level games if you are 12th already? Meaning can you still play and just "lose" the +1 XP since y
ou can't level to 13th?

As of right now I think the highest level adventure is 11th, I think *But I could be wrong* What he means by the Level Cap is 12th Level, is that once you reach 12 that is it, that character can't be played anymore at this time.

The Exchange 5/5 Venture-Agent, Kentucky—Lexington

Use Rope is now Climb or Grapple. Shackles Pirate from PCCS page 232 requires Use Rope 8 (-3 for 5) but does this translate to Climb 5? Or should it be ignored since everyone can Grapple?

Also for Low Templar (well both really) the class skills have a lot of changes. So for a class skill of Use Rope, you get Climb instead?


Joshua J. Frost wrote:
Correct. The day job roll is made exactly as it is written in the Guide.

So not even the Taldan faction trait Performance Artist applies (since that's a trait bonus, not a feat bonus)?

The Exchange 5/5 Venture-Agent, Kentucky—Lexington

hogarth wrote:
Joshua J. Frost wrote:
Correct. The day job roll is made exactly as it is written in the Guide.
So not even the Taldan faction trait Performance Artist applies (since that's a trait bonus, not a feat bonus)?

It may apply if the Trait is gained by the Feat Additional Traits?


hogarth wrote:
Joshua J. Frost wrote:
Correct. The day job roll is made exactly as it is written in the Guide.
So not even the Taldan faction trait Performance Artist applies (since that's a trait bonus, not a feat bonus)?

One would hope that *should* add. That is its only purpose. I don't think the one +1 with no other kickers makes it viable trait choice.

hogarth wrote:
(Only skill ranks + ability score mod + feat mods apply.)

I don't have the book here at work. What's the wording on the bonus +3 for it being a class skill? Does this apply?

On a side note:

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is about modifiers adding to day job. An extra 25gp, or whatever, an adventure isn't going to break the system or anything. Especially since you can only play 33 mods before retirement. That's only 825gp over the life of a character.


Piety Godfury wrote:

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is about modifiers adding to day job. An extra 25gp, or whatever, an adventure isn't going to break the system or anything. Especially since you can only play 33 mods before retirement. That's only 825gp over the life of a character.

Well, it gets a little ridiculous if you let every type of modifier stack.

"I have a masterwork tool for +2, and I cast Guidance every 6 seconds for +1, and I have my pet dog use Aid Another for +2, and I use my Good domain ability for +3, etc., etc."


hogarth wrote:


Well, it gets a little ridiculous if you let every type of modifier stack.

"I have a masterwork tool for +2, and I cast Guidance every 6 seconds for +1, and I have my pet dog use Aid Another for +2, and I use my Good domain ability for +3, etc., etc."

I can see that, to a degree. I think it would make sense that temporary duration modifiers don't apply (spells cast, aids, abilities that work "X" rounds per day) but modifiers always up (masterwork tools, Circlet of Persuasion, etc.) do add, IMO.

The Exchange 5/5 Venture-Agent, Kentucky—Lexington

Piety Godfury wrote:

What's the wording on the bonus +3 for it being a class skill? Does this apply?

Especially since you can only play 33 mods before retirement. That's only 825gp over the life of a character.

By my reading the +3 from class skill wouldn't apply.

It is far more than that, since if you are allow all those extras getting to 40 is trivial which translates into 150 gp times 33 modules or 4950 gp.


James Risner wrote:


It is far more than that, since if you are allow all those extras getting to 40 is trivial which translates into 150 gp times 33 modules or 4950 gp.

But you have to give the player *some* of thier modifiers. A character would be hard pressed to consistently get a '40' from the first mod at level 1. So considering this, I think, *over all* getting 25gp per mod is a more reasonable comparison than comparing 0gp vrs 150gp every mod.


Piety Godfury wrote:


I can see that, to a degree. I think it would make sense that temporary duration modifiers don't apply (spells cast, aids, abilities that work "X" rounds per day) but modifiers always up (masterwork tools, Circlet of Persuasion, etc.) do add, IMO.

I agree that there is probably a happy middle ground for which bonuses to allow. :-)


James Risner wrote:

c) Nothing. But can you buy Intelligent items?

New questions:

1) Killer trait from the www.paizo.com/traits web enhancement says:
"You deal additional damage equal to your weapon’s critical hit modifier when you score a successful critical"

Does that mean that a 19-20 X2 weapon would deal +2 damage and a 20 X4 weapon would deal +4 damage?

2) In the PCCS page 213 says "All Gear" and there is a Gear table. There is also a Heatstones box and Heatstones are not listed on the Gear table. I assume Heatstones are not available (because they are not on the Gear) list, but would prefer a "except Heatstones" or "including Heatstones" depending on your view.

3) In the same book, Firearms are on page 212, I assume they are not including (pretty sure) since they are not listed on page 209.

4) Again in the same book, there is some ammo listed on page 211. One is a firearm bullet ("Bullets") and clearly isn't included. I assume "Blowgun Dart" is included since Blowguns are. I assume "Smoke Bullets" are not included since there is no Sling on page 209, but there is a Bola? I assume "Thistle Arrow" is not included, but there is a Bow on page 209.

c - Yes.

1 - Yes.

2 - Unsure. I'll address this after the move.

3. - No firearms in Pathfinder Society OP.

4. - No bullets. I'll address the rest after the move.


Dragnmoon wrote:
James Risner wrote:

a) Can you still play in the 12th level games if you are 12th already? Meaning can you still play and just "lose" the +1 XP since y
ou can't level to 13th?

As of right now I think the highest level adventure is 11th, I think *But I could be wrong* What he means by the Level Cap is 12th Level, is that once you reach 12 that is it, that character can't be played anymore at this time.

Not true. There is a Tier 12 and we'll release 3-4 Tier 12 scenarios each year. Since no one is yet level 12, I have a few months to work out the details of how Tier 12 scenarios will work and whether you'll continue to level or not. The intention is that level 12 does not end that character's adventuring life--just slows it down.


James Risner wrote:

Use Rope is now Climb or Grapple. Shackles Pirate from PCCS page 232 requires Use Rope 8 (-3 for 5) but does this translate to Climb 5? Or should it be ignored since everyone can Grapple?

Also for Low Templar (well both really) the class skills have a lot of changes. So for a class skill of Use Rope, you get Climb instead?

For now, just ignore the Use Rope requirement.


hogarth wrote:
Joshua J. Frost wrote:
Correct. The day job roll is made exactly as it is written in the Guide.
So not even the Taldan faction trait Performance Artist applies (since that's a trait bonus, not a feat bonus)?

The intent is that trait bonus DO apply since they are, essentially, half feats. I'll clarify this in 2.01.


I should also note that I have no intention of changing the way Day Job rolls work. Sorry guys n' gals.

Lantern Lodge Venture-Captain, Germany— Südwest

Are we going to see anything out of the ordinary (generic magic items, etc...) upon future "chronical sheets". Like Favors, titles, special weapons, access to more spells, feats, prestige classes? Right now, they feel kind of empty.

Liberty's Edge 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Alaska—Anchorage aka Dragnmoon

Joshua J. Frost wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:
James Risner wrote:

a) Can you still play in the 12th level games if you are 12th already? Meaning can you still play and just "lose" the +1 XP since y
ou can't level to 13th?

As of right now I think the highest level adventure is 11th, I think *But I could be wrong* What he means by the Level Cap is 12th Level, is that once you reach 12 that is it, that character can't be played anymore at this time.
Not true. There is a Tier 12 and we'll release 3-4 Tier 12 scenarios each year. Since no one is yet level 12, I have a few months to work out the details of how Tier 12 scenarios will work and whether you'll continue to level or not. The intention is that level 12 does not end that character's adventuring life--just slows it down.

Awesome!!... Now I don't have to start that thread I was planning about continuing after 12..;)


Joshua J. Frost wrote:
James Risner wrote:
c) Nothing. But can you buy Intelligent items?
c - Yes.

Hmmm. I'm not sure that's a great idea; intelligent items are cheap (1,500 gp minimum) and can result in annoying effects (e.g. a Ring of Invisibility that activate whenever the wearer turns visible).

Sovereign Court

A question about bows.

If you have a +1 Composite longbow with a strenght bonus of +1, can you upgrade the strength bonus by paying the difference (100 gp per increase)?

Liberty's Edge 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Alaska—Anchorage aka Dragnmoon

Joshua J. Frost wrote:

3. - No firearms in Pathfinder Society OP.

4. - No bullets. I'll address the rest after the move.

And that was very Depressing... I had a great Idea for a Gunslinger :-(.

Will this ever Change? What what does OP Mean?


Dragnmoon wrote:
What what does OP Mean?

Organized Play, I suspect.

Scarab Sages

As a celestial sorceress, may I take an "Electric Spark" cantrip that does 1d3 electricity damage instead of Acid Splash or Ray of Frost? The celestial resistances I will soon gain are cold and acid. As I am biased against them, I would naturally choose spells that are air/electricity based instead.

Elemental sorcerers are able to change elemental energies to fit their bloodline? Am I able to do the same as a celestial bloodline?

The Exchange 5/5 Venture-Agent, Kentucky—Lexington

balanced scale of Abadar in Dark Markets requires 4 ranks of two skills, I assume this is -3 for 1 rank like the conversion guide? But the PFS document doesn't say so (but does for other PrC.)


I have been looking through the Guide to organised play and have converted my Pathfinder Society characters. It seemed kind of odd that one of my characters benefited heavily from the system and the other copped quite a GP penalty. I wondered if other players had found this also.
My first character is 4th level and by the conversion replaces his wealth with 6000GP. Good stuff! A gain of about 2000GP on his wealth before conversion. No complaint.
My second character is 2nd level (and had played 4 games) and by the conversion replaces his wealth with 1000GP. Wow! What a drop. He previously had a weath of about 2500GP. His last game had been played at the 3-4 tier with a higher level group and he had received 1200GP.
1) If I created the same character today and played the same games that I have played then I would have 2700GP wealth wouldn't I? So why the penalty on conversion?
It seems that at low tier characters gain about 400GP per game, so after 3 games (2nd level) a character might have 1200GP. But a 2nd level character might have played 4 or 5 games and might easily have 2000GP.
2) Summing up, the 2nd level wealth on conversion sounds a bit low to me. Is this an unintentional oversight? My higher level character really benefitted.
3) Am I doing something wrong here?
Overall I though that the conversion was simple and generous.

The Exchange 5/5 Venture-Agent, Kentucky—Lexington

PFS for Cheliax says all feats on page 26-27, and there is an exotic weapon Barbazu Beard on the same page. Confirming that this weapon is not allowed (no need to change the PFS if this weapon is not allowed.)

The Exchange 5/5

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Another question that arose during a recent game. Does the GM's character get to make a profession check at the end of the game for their "day job" roll? Or is this only for character's playing.

Sorry if this has already been asked!

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

Alizor, you mean as part of the reward for GMs eating the module?

Guide to PFS OP, page 27 wrote:


+1 XP for the scenario
50% of the max gold for the tier appropriate to the GM’s character
Half credit (meaning 1) Prestige Award

I would think that the "50% of the max gold" comprises all the monetary rewards, but I wouldn't be shocked if I were wrong.

Liberty's Edge 3/5

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Chris Mortika wrote:

Alizor, you mean as part of the reward for GMs eating the module?

Guide to PFS OP, page 27 wrote:


+1 XP for the scenario
50% of the max gold for the tier appropriate to the GM’s character
Half credit (meaning 1) Prestige Award
I would think that the "50% of the max gold" comprises all the monetary rewards, but I wouldn't be shocked if I were wrong.

I agree with Chris on this. The Guide tells you exactly what a GM gets and the Day Job roll is not mentioned in the list. So until I hear otherwise I'd rule it is not allowed.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 4

Githzilla wrote:
I agree with Chris on this. The Guide tells you exactly what a GM gets and the Day Job roll is not mentioned in the list. So until I hear otherwise I'd rule it is not allowed.

The Guide also tells you exactly what the GMs do not get. Day Job is not mentioned their either.

Dark Archive

Deussu wrote:

A question about bows.

If you have a +1 Composite longbow with a strenght bonus of +1, can you upgrade the strength bonus by paying the difference (100 gp per increase)?

PFRPG Core Rulebook page 147 wrote:

All composite bows are made with a particular strength rating (that is, each requires a minimum Strength modifier to use with proficiency). If your Strength bonus is less than the strength rating of the composite bow, you can’t effectively use it, so you take a –2 penalty on attacks with it. The default composite longbow requires a Strength modifier of +0 or higher to use with proficiency. A composite longbow can be made with a high strength rating to take advantage of an above-average Strength score; this feature allows you to add your Strength bonus to damage,up to the maximum bonus indicated for the bow.

My understanding of this is that the composite bow has to be made with the strength bonus, you can't alter it afterwards.

Sovereign Court

Baikonur wrote:
My understanding of this is that the composite bow has to be made with the strength bonus, you can't alter it afterwards.

That would be the case normally, yes, but there might be some differences regarding organized play. After all, once you hit level 8 and have finally increased your strength by one modifier, you'll have at least a +2 bow (if you are an archer, that is.) Upgrading the strenght modifier would only cost 100 gp when the item is created, but at this point you'd have to sell your bow for half price and buy a new one at full price. To me that's not very fair.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

Deussu wrote:
Baikonur wrote:
My understanding of this is that the composite bow has to be made with the strength bonus, you can't alter it afterwards.
That would be the case normally, yes, but there might be some differences regarding organized play. After all, once you hit level 8 and have finally increased your strength by one modifier, you'll have at least a +2 bow (if you are an archer, that is.) Upgrading the strenght modifier would only cost 100 gp when the item is created, but at this point you'd have to sell your bow for half price and buy a new one at full price. To me that's not very fair.

Isn't that the same in home play campaigns that have nothing to do with PFS? Why should PFS treat it any differently?

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Agent, Nevada—Las Vegas aka kinevon

JoelF847 wrote:
Isn't that the same in home play campaigns that have nothing to do with PFS? Why should PFS treat it any differently?

Because in home play campaigns there are things avaialble that are not legal for PFSOP (Force, Scout class, etc.) that make that extra point of damage (and it would actually be more, IMO, given the possibility of Strength enhancers...) more important in OP than in home play.

351 to 400 of 594 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Pathfinder Society Rules 2.0 F.A.Q. All Messageboards