Ironwood weps / armor


Pathfinder Society

Owner - Pikes Comics

1 person marked this as FAQ candidate.

What is the rules on these? Are we allowed to start with one? Since there is no crafting will we be allowed to make one? Or can we buy them via open access?


Not sure but I would kinda like to know as well.

Liberty's Edge 4/5 5/55/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, California—Sacramento

lostpike wrote:
What is the rules on these? Are we allowed to start with one? Since there is no crafting will we be allowed to make one? Or can we buy them via open access?

Here are some things to remember about special Materials, All special materials in the Pathfinder RPG (PFRPG) book , except Dragonhide, are authorized in society play, If the Special Material in question is not in the PFRPG *I think Ironwood is not in the PFRPG* then you need to look in chapter 13 of the society guide to see if it is on the list of equipment/items authorized from other sources.

Off the top of my head I can not remember any Special Material outside the PFRPG being authorized, but I could be wrong there since I have not checked for awhile, but I have given you the means to check yourself.

Edit: If I was not out the door right now to go to work, I would have cross referenced chapter 13 with all my books for you, But I can't at this time due to lack of time. If you can't find the answer before I come back I will check it when I get home. One thing to remember about taking stuff outside the PFRPG, you need to bring a copy of the book or a print up of the relevant page to conventions to show the GM where you got the ability/feat/item from.


Wow, that is some necro there for this thread. lol

But anyway, the special materials listed in the core book that are considered always available are adamantine, darkwood, cold iron, mithral, and alchemical silver. The only other special material currently allowed from other Paizo-published sources is silversheen from Qadira, Gateway to the East.

If you typed ironwood by mistake and meant darkwood, then you are in luck. However, if you meant the ironwood that is created by the 6th level druid spell of the same name, then you are out of luck.


Quote:
If you typed ironwood by mistake and meant darkwood, then you are in luck. However, if you meant the ironwood that is created by the 6th level druid spell of the same name, then you are out of luck.

Ironwood is a 6th lvl Druid spell which is in the PF core book, the reasoning I have about it is how much it would cost to have it cast on a chain shirt, I'm not sure if it needs Permanency cast on it as well. Yeah its out of place for a fighter to have but for the game I'm going to be in it matches the theatrics of the setting. A Shoanti clan member.

The Exchange 5/5

Zerumm wrote:
Quote:
If you typed ironwood by mistake and meant darkwood, then you are in luck. However, if you meant the ironwood that is created by the 6th level druid spell of the same name, then you are out of luck.
Ironwood is a 6th lvl Druid spell which is in the PF core book, the reasoning I have about it is how much it would cost to have it cast on a chain shirt, I'm not sure if it needs Permanency cast on it as well. Yeah its out of place for a fighter to have but for the game I'm going to be in it matches the theatrics of the setting. A Shoanti clan member.

Zerumm, you may not realize this but you posted on the Pathfinder Society forum, not the Pathfinder RPG. The reason the answer isn't so obvious is due to the organized play rules, which limit access to some items that in other campaigns would be available without question.

Liberty's Edge 4/5 5/55/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, California—Sacramento

Zerumm wrote:
Ironwood is a 6th lvl Druid spell which is in the PF core book, the reasoning I have about it is how much it would cost to have it cast on a chain shirt, I'm not sure if it needs Permanency cast on it as well. Yeah its out of place for a fighter to have but for the game I'm going to be in it matches the theatrics of the setting. A Shoanti clan member.

For some reason I was thinking of Ironwood as a special Material, not the Spell, I think I confused it with Darkwood, like others may have suggested.

That Said, Ironwood is not a Spell that Permanency works on, so even if you could afford it, you can't use Permanency on it.

Spellcasting services Cost Caster Level x Spell Level x 10gp

If my math is right that would be 660gp to get the spell cast on you and would last you through mostly any Scenario(11 days), But to me that is a waste.

as a side note at no time can you get a spell 7th level or higher cast on you through spellcasting services, Except those listed you can buy through spending faction points.


In Pathfinder Society, you can't use permanency anyway, so no issue there. You can cast the spell and fashion whatever you want out of it, but the ironwood spell has a duration of 1 day/level and in Pathfinder Society any spell cast during a scenario ends at the end of the scenario. So if you cast ironwood to make a suit of full plate armor for your druid, you could wear it until the end of its duration or the end of the scenario (whichever came first) but you'd have to cast it again at the beginning of the next scenario.

Again, these are Pathfinder Society-focused answers.

Hope this helps.


Sorry didn't realize, I'm still trying to navigate the forums.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

You can just cast ironwood again after it runs out. The wooden objects do not go away, they just stop being hard as steel.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Wow two goblin necromancers in the same thread. ;)

2/5

The ironwood stops at the end of the scenario regardless of duration.

Grog kicks undead thread... this one never die

Grand Lodge 1/5

Joshua J. Frost wrote:

In Pathfinder Society, you can't use permanency anyway, so no issue there. You can cast the spell and fashion whatever you want out of it, but the ironwood spell has a duration of 1 day/level and in Pathfinder Society any spell cast during a scenario ends at the end of the scenario. So if you cast ironwood to make a suit of full plate armor for your druid, you could wear it until the end of its duration or the end of the scenario (whichever came first) but you'd have to cast it again at the beginning of the next scenario.

Again, these are Pathfinder Society-focused answers.

Hope this helps.

As long as the thread is Zombiefied anyways...

What would wooden breastplate or full plate cost?

The Exchange 5/5

The only way to buy Ironwood equipment would be to find it awarded from a chronicle sheet.

Silver Crusade 5/5

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Vinyc Kettlebek wrote:
The only way to buy Ironwood equipment would be to find it awarded from a chronicle sheet.

Since it was mentioned above, and I've been curious, why is a spell like permanency such a bad thing, or any spell that is permanent?

The Exchange 2/5 Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

ThornDJL7 wrote:
Vinyc Kettlebek wrote:
The only way to buy Ironwood equipment would be to find it awarded from a chronicle sheet.
Since it was mentioned above, and I've been curious, why is a spell like permanency such a bad thing, or any spell that is permanent?

Same reason there is no crafting, to keep everyone on a level playing field. A permanent spell has a much lower cost than the equivalent magic item.

So long as everyone is buying items from the magic item list everyone is going to have the potential of a similar power level at a given class level.

Silver Crusade 5/5

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Dennis Baker wrote:
ThornDJL7 wrote:
Vinyc Kettlebek wrote:
The only way to buy Ironwood equipment would be to find it awarded from a chronicle sheet.
Since it was mentioned above, and I've been curious, why is a spell like permanency such a bad thing, or any spell that is permanent?

Same reason there is no crafting, to keep everyone on a level playing field. A permanent spell has a much lower cost than the equivalent magic item.

So long as everyone is buying items from the magic item list everyone is going to have the potential of a similar power level at a given class level.

I was under the understanding that crafting was not allowed because of the tracking issues regarding all of the dice rolling that essentially happens between sessions. This really isn't the case with a permanency spell. I don't see how permanency breaks the tracking process compared to a piece of gear.

Further, as far as fair playing field. Shouldn't we disallow uncanny dodge because it's a very expensive item, but only a few classes can get it? Or any other class ability that has a corresponding item. To me, permanency falls under class ability and thus should be allowed for classes that can cast arcane spells.

I had a big annoyance when I was told that I could not make my sword an everburning sword because it broke the "permanent" spell rules even though it states right in the good faiths book for paladins of Iomedae that this was very common. I'm not sure how having an everburning sword that costs me a sword and roughly 125gp is breaking the "playing field" when I bought an Ioun Torch for 75gp and is more useful, but less thematic.

Note: I'm tired and sick and my books are at home and thus the actual names of what I'm talking about are failing me. I assume you can figure out what I mean.

The Exchange 2/5 Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

*shrug*

I thought you were asking a question not wanting to start an argument. Not interested.

Silver Crusade 5/5

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Dennis Baker wrote:

*shrug*

I thought you were asking a question not wanting to start an argument. Not interested.

Was not so much looking for an argument, but a better explanation. Though, you may not be the person to answer that. Change doesn't happen unless you voice the opinion or desire.

The Exchange 2/5 Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

Many of the things that existing in a home game that make crafting viable as a game mechanic simply don't exist in PFS. Treasure is not distributed in the form of usable items which can be used as is or sold for 50% of value, it's distributed as gold. Similarly, time does not exist as a constraint in PFS, where it is often a constraint in home games.

This topic has been discussed a lot, if you really care, there is a search bar
<—— over there, I'm pretty sure all of the PFS staffers have made comments about this exact topic at least once.

The Exchange 5/5

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Thread resurrection

Ultimate equipment lists a new material greenwood
It also lists a suit of +3 greenwood splint mail, If greenwood can be crafted and enchanted into a suit of splint mail, can a mundane suit of splint mail be purchased ?

Would it kill them to list ironwood as a special material so druids could buy a suit made of it?

And is wood or horn lamellar armor suitable for Druid use?

Grand Lodge 1/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.

The thread that.will.not.die.

5/5 *

Seraphimpunk wrote:
And is wood or horn lamellar armor suitable for Druid use?

This part is yes, both are suitable for Druids afaik.

Sovereign Court

My player wants an ironwood bonded item at level 1. We
Hat would thus cost? What are the exact properties of ironwood?

5/5 5/55/55/5

To the best of my knowledge there's no way to get a permanent ironwood spell, or buy ironwood as a raw material.

5/5 RPG Superstar 2014 Top 32

Pax Veritas wrote:

My player wants an ironwood bonded item at level 1. We

Hat would thus cost? What are the exact properties of ironwood?

Ironwood is still not available as a special material in any PFS legal sourcebooks listed in the additional resources.

Sovereign Court

If the game were a non-pfs. Homebrew... what would you say is the approx value? My thought is if the bonded wizard staff will be with the pc firecer, why couldn't it be ironwood?

5/5 RPG Superstar 2014 Top 32

Ironwood only lasts days 1 day/per caster level, and can't be made permanent by the permanency spell.

Your best bet is to make a post in the rules forum.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Ironwood weps / armor All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Society