'Improved Standard Attack'


Playtest Reports

Liberty's Edge

In another recent thread among the playtest reports, Wraith had made a reference to this!

Wraith wrote:
I also used the ‘Improved Standard Attack’ Action proposed in playtest by Jason Bulmahn (allowing a second, iterative attack with manufactured weapons for creatures with a BaB +11 or more during a Standard Attack Action)

I seek a little more info on this, for this has peeked my interest somewhat! Thanx in advance to any who take the time with this!


Hmmm, I have seen people commenting on this, but I never saw the actual post and I'm having no luck finding it.

Can someone who knows where it is provide a link?


Found it:

This is what you're looking for right here

And:

Some related stuff, suggestions from Jason, but not quite what you're looking for

Liberty's Edge

DM_Blake... I Thank you for this!

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Not keen on this. If we were to remove iterative attacks completely and have them implemented via feats, then perhaps. But even there, multiple attacks require a full round. That's how it should remain.


Jason Nelson wrote:

#3. Fighting defensively

Just a notion to throw out. Just thought of it; see what you think:

When using the full-attack action, you can sacrifice your iterative attacks for defense. For each attack you don't take, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC and a +2 bonus to CMB defense and Reflex saves. You also increase the Acrobatics DC to tumble and the Spellcraft DC to cast defensively in your threatened area by 2. These bonuses stack.

I really like this idea from Jason Nelson, in the THREAD pointed out by DM_Blake. I'm hoping if nothing else we might use this as a house rule. I could see very viable applications of this while playing a 'TANK' (sword & board fighter/paladin). Absorbing, deflecting and dodging a big nasty's attacks while the strikers/crowd control do their jobs.


Jason Nelson wrote:

#3. Fighting defensively

When using the full-attack action, you can sacrifice your iterative attacks for defense. For each attack you don't take, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC and a +2 bonus to CMB defense and Reflex saves. You also increase the Acrobatics DC to tumble and the Spellcraft DC to cast defensively in your threatened area by 2. These bonuses stack.

"None shall pass." - Orlikidnapper (Monty Python and the Holy Grail - 1975)

You're saying you want a stackable "Fight Defensively maneuver. With a +2 Reflex save bonus. And it stops Rogues, too. And any caster silly enough to be in the front lines. (Where'd I put my Glaive & Gauntlets...) All in one! And I don't even have to take a Feat!!!!"

Maybe a +1 on one per untaken attack. And I'd think seriously about making it a Feat. Possibly on the Combat Reflexes tree.

"It's only a flesh wound." - Orlikidnapper (Monty Python and the Holy Grail - 1975)


Ugwump wrote:

You're saying you want a stackable "Fight Defensively maneuver. With a +2 Reflex save bonus. And it stops Rogues, too. And any caster silly enough to be in the front lines. (Where'd I put my Glaive & Gauntlets...) All in one! And I don't even have to take a Feat!!!!"

Maybe a +1 on one per untaken attack. And I'd think seriously about making it a Feat. Possibly on the Combat Reflexes tree.

+1 bonus across the board might be a better option, but at that point I would not waste a Feat for it.

You won't even see multiple attacks in a game until 5th-6th level. (5th Wizard w/Hasten, a 5th Druid w/ Wildshape or a 6th Martial Class) Cleric/Druid/Rogue at 8th. Wizard/Sorcerer at 12th.

It's is a mechanic designed for Sword&Board and/or 2-Weapon Fighters in mind. There is little to no reason what-so-ever for a 2-hander character to soak attacks for defense, when they generally have the capability to take down monsters in a few hits or less. (Ex: Cleric unconcious)


Daniel Moyer wrote:
You won't even see multiple attacks in a game until 5th-6th level. (5th Wizard w/Hasten, a 5th Druid w/ Wildshape or a 6th Martial Class) Cleric/Druid/Rogue at 8th. Wizard/Sorcerer at 12th.

Don't forget the monk's "Flurry of Suck" attacks, nor the possibility of dual-wielding or using the Rapid Shot feat to get extra attacks even before 5th level.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Saurstalk wrote:
Not keen on this. If we were to remove iterative attacks completely and have them implemented via feats, then perhaps. But even there, multiple attacks require a full round. That's how it should remain.

Only if all spellcasting immoblises the caster, and defensive casting is removed.

Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game / Playtest Reports / 'Improved Standard Attack' All Messageboards
Recent threads in Playtest Reports
Rangers