One Dark Stormy Night in Aundaire


Play-by-Post

1 to 50 of 461 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

A few weeks before the Mourning occurred in Cyre, Aundaire attempted to upset the ties its rival enemy of Thrane has with the other five nations.
Although they cared little for their competing nations for the throne of Galifar they had suffered a great deal of loss over the course of the Last War losing much of their land to Thrane.
To offset the loss of morale they deliberately invited members of the various five nations to attend a semester at their prestdigious university seeking to turn the opinion of the other nations against Thrane even as a member of that nation was invited.

The Thrane delegate however had other plans because he had come into possession of a map detailing the location of long lost Darguun tomb located within Aundaire with information of some ancient secret that could provide him with a promotion from his people if he could secure it and return to his homeland without the famed Aundaire Eyes discovering his plans.

So using an intermediary he has hired a group of adventurers' for the simple purpose of investigating this location and in return for a 50gp purse they get to keep all but one item of their employers' choice, however the trip was hardly uneventful for not only the weather was awful but they came across signs they weren't alone out in the wilderness, but as the foul weather was about to cut loose another rainshower they find the sealed entrance to the tomb.

With either the choice of waiting out the storm in the forest and guaranteed to be left soaking wet and fatigued or finding a way in and maybe getting a fire going before searching the place.


Hidden by virtue more of neglect than actual design the tor towers above the surrounding countryside, at its base where a massive stone disc had once lay across the entrance there is a lot of debris showing the opening had been more due to erosion across the centuries when it was first sealed rather than any actual digging.

There are signs others have been here before you as there is evidence of camp fires within, but nothing that suggests anyone has been here in a good few years.

The gradually worsening weather makes the interior look all the more welcome after you doublecheck to make sure this is your goal.

Map:
(Making sure to see which would work better)

Photobucket
Entry Chamber

Mediafire
Entry Chamber


Male Human Summoner 2

"Ah, yes. This certainly was worth teemporarily leaving my position at the Arcane Congress. It's cold, I'm soaking wet, what's not to like? After all, it's been great so far."

Havelock stops his complaining once they get to the tower. "Wow. Genuine Dhakaani architecture. Ignore my sarcastic remarks earlier. This may actually be worth the trip."


Havelock Ebonwood wrote:

"Ah, yes. This certainly was worth teemporarily leaving my position at the Arcane Congress. It's cold, I'm soaking wet, what's not to like? After all, it's been great so far."

Havelock stops his complaining once they get to the tower. "Wow. Genuine Dhakaani architecture. Ignore my sarcastic remarks earlier. This may actually be worth the trip."

The weather is getting worse and you're getting soaked, but you feel something strange ahead.

Make an Arcane check


Male Human Summoner 2

Arcana: 1d20+9=10

Gahh! Why do I seem to only be rolling tens today!


male Bugbear 1st level Ranger(archer)

"You should more show respect, my ancestors built this place, their ghosts could still be here and take offense or traps from Xorait could linger waiting to steal your mind". Says Graz as he steps in out of the rain and shakes himself like dog flinging excess water all around and the odor of wet fur begins to fill the room.


Male Human Rogue Level 1

Nass glances over the entrance with a skeptical look, but not wanting to get soaked anymore he follows Graz inside and looks around the area searching for any traps or signs of movement

perception (1d20=14)


Male Human Fighter / 2

While checking out the entrance, Richard declares, "This place isn't that impressive. I once built a temple to Kord that was twice the size of this place." He also blurts out, "By the looks of it this is Post-Neo-Classicism architecture," while actually trying to decipher something useful. He checks out the rubble and large stone disc.
Arcana Check 1d20-1=16
Perception Check 1d20+1=9


Male Human Summoner 2

"Ah, however could I have missed the obvious signs of Post-Neo-Classical Dhakaani architecture. Why, one day we must sit down and discuss the general aesthetic merits of the period."

The dumb fighter out-rolled me in Arcana. How... embaressing. Also, Perception:1d20+2=19


Male Human Rogue Level 1

Arcana check (1d20=2)


Richard the Boastful wrote:

While checking out the entrance, Richard declares, "This place isn't that impressive. I once built a temple to Kord that was twice the size of this place." He also blurts out, "By the looks of it this is Post-Neo-Classicism architecture," while actually trying to decipher something useful. He checks out the rubble and large stone disc.

Arcana Check 1d20-1=16
Perception Check 1d20+1=9

Richard only:

Spoiler:
The place reeks of ancient magic, the fact its readily accessible and the goal of your mission leaves you wondering why noone raided this site before now and more importantly why you have never heard of the place

The place seems devoid of anything telling you more about who used this chamber to shelter from the storm outside before you but it is getting late and the weather getting worse.


Nass Sylentstrike wrote:

Nass glances over the entrance with a skeptical look, but not wanting to get soaked anymore he follows Graz inside and looks around the area searching for any traps or signs of movement

perception (1d20=14)

Initially it feels good to get out of the rain, but something leaves you feeling on edge and gradually you take a good look around the chamber before coming to a halt near the centre.

Spoiler:
A square in the centre of the chamber looks like it has some kind of sigil carved into it, you would normally have overlooked it except for the fact its studded with what looks like little pieces of bloodstones covered by dust


Male Human Fighter / 2

"This places smells like really old magic. You know like when you used to visit your grandmother," Richard says Rhetorically. Adding, "Why has no one raided this place? It's wide open and why haven't any of us heard of this place before either?"
Richard stays a few (10) feet back of Nass.


Male Human Fighter / 2

Ice Witch, Photobucket works for me. I can't seem to get the map to show up on the other link. Also, this is a huge room, are those 5 foot squares?

Edit:I can download the map from mediafire but it won't show up on the site.


Richard the Boastful wrote:

Ice Witch, Photobucket works for me. I can't seem to get the map to show up on the other link. Also, this is a huge room, are those 5 foot squares?

Edit:I can download the map from mediafire but it won't show up on the site.

Used both to make sure, yes they're 5' squares just modifying a version for location purposes

Modified entry chamber
Hope this helps


Male Human Rogue Level 1

Nass squats down to get a better look of the symbol, calling out to his companions that he thinks he found something made out of dust covered bloodstones.

"Any of you guys recognizes this?" as he points downward towards the sigil.


Male Human Rogue Level 1

Nass is standing in block I-8 when he notices the sigil and calls out


Male Human Summoner 2

Havelock peers over Nass's shoulder. "Well, that can't be good."

Arcana: 1d20+9=13 Also, I'm in J7


Havelock Ebonwood wrote:

Havelock peers over Nass's shoulder. "Well, that can't be good."

Arcana: 1d20+9=13 Also, I'm in J7

Its definitely a sigil and its covered in bloodstones and upon closer examination (from where you're located) does emanate magic but its not clear what it does nor what activates it.


male Bugbear 1st level Ranger(archer)

"Heh, it's probly just a door, we're gunna have to open it ta get
what were after".

*Grazz has Boe strung and is polishing her*
Under his breath "Soon pretty one, you can sing songs of death, soon..."


Male Human Fighter / 2

Arcana Check 1d20-1=7
"So, who wants to touch it? The sigil and bloodstones that is."


Male Human Rogue Level 1

Nass looks at each person in turn, and ponders for a moment. "Well" he says "it does have magic properties to some degree...make the wizard do it."

Nass steps out of the way and backs up a few feet to let Havelock get a closer look at it. While he moves, Nass draws a dagger in his main hand and a short sword in his other. He also starts looking for shadows to meld into just in case
Perception (1d20=7)
Nass is in block J-7


male Bugbear 1st level Ranger(archer)

I'm here to kill the things you guys uncover not to open up doors that have been magicly sealed hundreds of years ago, let the mage do it.

Grazz is standing in P-5


lashunta technomancer 4; Perception +0 EAC 16; KAC 16 !

NaDarr walks around the perimeter of the room whispering to Avendra for safe and dry place a traveler can truly appreciate. Looking at the disk, he recommends not touching it at all.

"At least not with a little more information."

had nearly given up, sorry if I missed anything.


Male Human Fighter / 2

I'll draw my greatsword as well and stay put where I am. There are 3 doors off of this room, correct?
"Should we have a listen at the doors to see what we can hear?


Male Human Rogue Level 1

"I agree with the fighter" Nass continues " we should investigate the rest of the room and see what we find out. Maybe with a little luck we can find out what the sigil is or means." Without waiting for a response Nass heads over to the door to the north and inspects for anything unusual through sight and sound
perception (1d20=14)


Suddenly the entire chamber goes pitch black dark, briefly confused but as it dawns on you all that there's no light coming in from outside a bright column of light erupts from the centre of the room illuminating it once more.

This silvery white light takes more the form of a flame but you feel no heat.

Nass:

Spoiler:
The entrance was swallowed up by a curtain of darkness which you spotted as it happened

The Map:
The Sealed Chamber

Okay I'm going to need where each of you are located on this map let me know if there's any problems viewing it


Richard the Boastful wrote:

I'll draw my greatsword as well and stay put where I am. There are 3 doors off of this room, correct?

"Should we have a listen at the doors to see what we can hear?

Yes, but all three look rusted shut and have the appearance of having something carved on them mirroring what's on the walls


male Bugbear 1st level Ranger(archer)

Grazz is standing in P-5


Male Human Rogue Level 1

Nass is standing in square A-10


Male Human Fighter / 2

Richard is in I6


The Ice Witch wrote:

Suddenly the entire chamber goes pitch black dark, briefly confused but as it dawns on you all that there's no light coming in from outside a bright column of light erupts from the centre of the room illuminating it once more.

This silvery white light takes more the form of a flame but you feel no heat.

The light flickers.

It does it again casting the chamber making the barely legible carvings on the walls and door seem to move in response.

The light stops flickering after a moment or two... then a figure emerges from the light as it seems to part around him revealing what looks like an eladrin male dressed in well used leather armour carrying a simple iron shod staff in one hand.

"Welcome," he greets each of you.

"Welcome to the Test of Fate... yours," he announces and then waits as if waiting for a response.


Male Human Rogue Level 1

Nass looks questioningly at the stranger in the light confused at the announcement that was made. Rather than respond and give way his position he slowly draws his duel shortswords not wanting to be unprepared should an attack ensue. Nass looks at his other companions to see what each of them is doing.


male Bugbear 1st level Ranger(archer)

Grazz has boe aimed at the Eldrian but holds his shot. "Well wizard, cleric what now, do we kill it"?


Male Human Summoner 2

Havelock pulls out a finely made crystal sphere. "Ah, yes, I have a few questions. Why did you just teleport in here? Where did you come from? Why did you jump out of a ball of flame like an over-dramatic bard? And what is the Test of Fate in the first place?" He seems to be expressing equal parts shock at someone suddenly appearing and residual annoyance at his travelling companions.

Arcana and History, to see if anything here makes sense: 1d20+9=16, 1d20+9=29


lashunta technomancer 4; Perception +0 EAC 16; KAC 16 !

"Greetings travelor. It seems the tests of destiny are never to end." NaDarr bows with on arm folded to his chest. "If you speak with Destiny, then I do open my ears to you." Under his breath he adds, "We can attack later. I think."
in R9


Male Human Fighter / 2

"As you may have already heard, I'm a pretty good test taker," Richard proclaims readying his Greatsword.


Havelock Ebonwood wrote:

Havelock pulls out a finely made crystal sphere. "Ah, yes, I have a few questions. Why did you just teleport in here? Where did you come from? Why did you jump out of a ball of flame like an over-dramatic bard? And what is the Test of Fate in the first place?" He seems to be expressing equal parts shock at someone suddenly appearing and residual annoyance at his travelling companions.

Arcana and History, to see if anything here makes sense: 1d20+9=16, 1d20+9=29

The figure turns to face you as you speak.

"Welcome, what you're speaking to is an elaborate form of magic mouth designed to answer the queries of unfortunate guests my purpose is to explain just how much trouble you're in and give you a fighting chance by explaining how to extricate yourselves from this mess," he answers immediately.

He pauses as if listening to someone not in sight of the projection before you.

"Well I suspect you were told about the Siberys Spellshard and if not pay attention somewhere beyond those doors (he points towards the doors in the East wall) is the final resting place of your host, to open that curtain behind you all you need to do is touch the Spellshard and that will deactivate it so you can escape, however to open those doors behind me you will need to first enter the two sidechambers to the North and South and find levers that will open those doors," he bgeins to explain.

"Please be aware that there are challenges to each of these rooms and defeating these challenges provide rewards, these include bloodstones designed to augment your equipment and even treasure but take care for this is called the Test of Fate for a reason." he adds.

Ebonwood only:

Spoiler:
The arcane check only confirm its magic you know nothing about, but the History check does confirm it might be the source of certain horror stories about the follies of pride and greed based about a place noone has ever returned from at least those that actually ventured within...


Male Human Rogue Level 1

"What kind of challenges?" Nass finally speaks as he merges from the back of the room. Nass sheaths his blades for the moment but keeps them loose just in case.


Nass Sylentstrike wrote:
"What kind of challenges?" Nass finally speaks as he merges from the back of the room. Nass sheaths his blades for the moment but keeps them loose just in case.

"In addition to battles you will find puzzles to solve least of all a safe place to hold up should you feel the need, you will find more questions than answers but first I suggest you come closer to this image for there is one thing I can do for you before your search for your host's inner sanctuum begins..." he replies as he extends his arms and then folds them across his chest.

To those nowhere near the image only:

Spoiler:
The ground beneath your feet is trembling post your Reflex AC to avoid taking damage and you can spoiler it if you want to hide it

Will need your position in the chamber at this point in relation to the image


Male Human Rogue Level 1

reflex is 17, was standing in A-10 now in C-9


The eruption releases a group of skeletons five on either side of the chamber all are facing away from the light but all wield swords and seem ready for battle!

The First Challenge Map:
The First Challenge

Only Nass is in range and fortunately the skeleton in question is quite decrepid but it still manages to hit rolling a 12+6 for a total of 18, doing 4pts of damage, now will everyone make Initative rolls please.

"Hopefully you listened because the first challenge involves skeletons and they really don't like the light," the figure points out.

"So you should know all of the bloodstones you'll find have been enchanted so they can be simply set into whatever item you've got, weapon, armour even implement and they'll empower them to a certain level it takes more to improve them further but I'll let you deal with your rude welcome company..." he explains and then the figure freezes.

Richard and Havelock have a free action and can either move or attack from where they're located and then will need to roll initiative


Male Human Summoner 2

Havelock sends an icy ray out to the nearest skeleton.

Ray of Frost at F8: 1d20+4=16, 1d6+4=5 vs Fort., slowed till end of my next turn.

Initiative: 1d20+2=17


lashunta technomancer 4; Perception +0 EAC 16; KAC 16 !

"Challenges? What kind of challe..!"

18 reflex, 10 initiative 1d20+10, 1d20=[8, 10], [16]


male Bugbear 1st level Ranger(archer)

Graz uses his hunters quary on the skelenton in O-7, shoots it using his twin strike and then shifts back into Q-4.

Initative=17

attacks using twin strike, first=17, second=11

damage, first=14, second=14


Havelock Ebonwood wrote:

Havelock sends an icy ray out to the nearest skeleton.

Ray of Frost at F8: 1d20+4=16, 1d6+4=5 vs Fort., slowed till end of my next turn.

Initiative: 1d20+2=17

Havelock's icy ray completely encases the skeleton which freezes solid and eventually shatters as its body comes apart.

Skeletons initiative are on 21, waiting on Richard and Nass before proceeding so current initiative order:
Skeletons 21
Graz 17
Havelock 17
NaDarr 10


Male Human Rogue Level 1

INIT (1d20+4=7)

when its my turn and in case i dont post right away

Draw duel shortswords and attack closest enemy

Riposte Strike (1d20+4=17)
Damage (1d6+5=6)

If the target attacks you before the start of your next turn, you make your riposte against the target as an immediate interrupt (1d20+2=5) Damage (1d6+2=4)


Okay better moves things ahead whilst I wait for Richard's response

The Skeletons moving rapidly seek to overwhelm the adventurers' however the two who attack Nass can't penetrate his defence even as his riposte takes down one of his assailants.

Nass since you're wearing light armour you get to add your Dexterity modifier to your AC so amended accordingly

However Havelock's spell has the unfortunate effect of alerting the remaining skeletons on Nass's side of the chamber to their presence and both try to attack the two adventurers' beside the now frozen image caught in the light beam.

Attack on Havelock rolled an 18+6 for 24 to hit doing 4pts of damage however due to the skeleton's vicinity to the light Havelock has combat advantage unfortunately not enough to avoid being hit.

On the other side of the chamber two of the skeletons rush Graz but only one hits.

Rolled a 4+6 for 10 and 18+6 for 24 to hit so only takes 4pts of damage

Graze however shifts back and unleashes twin strike on his attackers taking down one but missing the other.
NaDarr however turns to find himself facing 3 skeletons who try to overwhelm him but all miss!

Rolled 8+6 for 14, 3+6 for 9 and 2+6 for 8 all missing!

Its' now Havelock's turn will post the attack on Richard pending his response unless I hear nothing by the time NaDarr finishes his turn

The map at the moment:
The First Round Map

By the way NaDarr you should have at least 22hp

1 to 50 of 461 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / One Dark Stormy Night in Aundaire All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.