Terror at Trollmarsh


Play-by-Post

1 to 50 of 89 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

It was a dark and stormy night, and to make it worse, it was raining.

You are all soaked to the bone, and you have no idea about how far it is to the next inn. You curse the innkeeper at the last place you stayed and his stupid shortcuts, that has made you waste several hours finding your way back to something like a road.

You have no idea where you are, and no idea how far the next inn is or whether you should press on or make camp as best you are able.

Feel free to make your introductions and let's see how your characters handle adversity.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 6

Felicia stood there her pigtails plastered against the sides of her face. Normal very cheery and optimistic the constant downpour and the fact that it seemed they had spent hours going round in circles had erased that her voice taking on an almost bitter tone as she talks.

"Listen to the Innkeeper they said. He knows the place better than us they said. Who's bright idea was it to take his advice again?" pausing a moment to try and shake some excess rainwater out of her hair and quickly finding it impossible she turns to the rest of the group. "I really don't think were going to find an Inn tonight maybe we should find a cave or a barn or something were we can rest before we all freeze to death."


Female Half Elf Monk 1st

From the lights edge Gauri watches, arms drawn about her as if cold, dilated eyes flashing silver in the decrepit light. Her expression unreadable.

She might as well be a phantom for all that she has said since leaving the inn.


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1

Mull laughs at the rain. He sloshes about some as Felicia talks, then interjects, "Look kiddoes, I don't remember whose idea it was." He points at Gauri. "Perhaps it was her's." Then he points at himself. "Maybe it was mine!" He snorts derisively, then turns back to Felicia. "Maybe it was your idea!!" He cackles. "Cursing the inkeeper won't do us a fat lot of good out here--and I could call down a curse or two on the bastard, if he were here and I thought it would do any good! But anyway," he continues, "I agree that not a whole lot is going to get done by us all mucking about out here in the wet darkness. What say we find a suitable spot and camp? I've got a tent and I've got some dry clothes. Don't know what the rest of you lot have got planned, but that's what I'm gonna do." He looks around at the group, expectantly.


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1

Up ahead of you, you can make out a lone figure in a dark hooded cloak standing under a small tree. As you get closer, the figure waves you over and you can see that the person, like yourselves, is thouroughly drenched.
Once you get within earshot, the figure calls out to you in a pleasant alto, "I don't suppose any of you know of an Inn around here? I seem to have lost my way in this blasted storm. I'm travelling to Zerthstone, but if this forsaken weather keeps up I don't know how long it's going to take."
She pulls herself in further under the tree to make room for you all, even though it is quite obvious that you will not all fit under the minimal protection of the branches. You can see a battered backpack slung over her shoulders and suspicious bulges under the cloak where weapons would normally be carried. As she moves, the cloak parts slighty to reveal black mud spattered boots and a bright red back to the cloak, before she pulls it closed once more to attempt to ward off the rain.
"My name is Shawnee by the way. You appear to be travelling in the same direction as me. I don't suppose you want some company. It can get lonely out here on the road sometimes."


This older gentleman pulls his hat brim down across his face, trying to keep out most of the rain. He's constantly adjusting it, as a small hole in the top of it manages to betray him. In fact, most of his outfit seems to have seen better days. It's almost as if he woke up one morning, and put on someone else's clothes entirely.

In contrast to the others, Vautrin has been nothing but chatty the whole time. He seems quite knowledgeable on a number of subjects; either that, or he's a pretty good bluff. His stories are enjoyable nonetheless.

"I could sleep through anything. I've done it too. A little rain never hurt anyone. Besides, wouldn't we feel like such fools if the next inn was only a short distance away? I say we press on as far as our legs and spirit will take us."

"And we're headed that way ourselves. Won't you join us, Shawnee? I'd feel quite honoured to have a traveller such as yourself accompany us." Vautrin tips his hat to Shawnee, simultaneously draining it of it's accumulating water.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

As we all seem to be gathered, time for some action. Roll for initiative.

Through the darkness you glimpse a hideous, storm-tossed shape. It looks like a severed, rotting head with bat wings. Its glowing red eyes seem to be focussing on you.

And you can also roll for Perception and Knowledge (religion) (the latter is trained-only).

I don't really think we need a battle map right now. The only remarkable feature is the tree you're huddled under, the road and a nearby bog. The flying creature is hovering above a small plain covered in weedy grass. You catch the first glimpse of it when it is 60 feet away, but it is approaching fast.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 6

Initative

1 d 20 + 3=23

"Hey uh everyone what in the hell's is that?" Slowly she begins to reach for her rapier.

Perception

1 d 20 - 1=2

Im assuming the perception is to notice something besides the flying skull.If it is to notice the thing Felicia remains blissfully ignorant.


Initiave 3, Perception 14

"What now? My eyes must be playing tricks on me. Do you see that too?"


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1

Initiative. (1d20+2=5)
Perception Check. (1d20+2=15)

"Uh, that can't be good..."

Shawnee reaches into her cloak with her left hand and pulls out a Rapier, edging her way to the edge of the group so as not to be hampered in a close fight.


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1

Initiative = 2 (7-5)
Perception = 23! (20+3)

Hearing Felicia's warning, Mull turns around rather clumsily to see what all the fuss is about. Squinting into the distance, he grunts. "Oh my," he says distractedly. "Here we go!" He hefts his warhammer to the ready and positions himself behind his shield as the thing approaches.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Initiative order: Felicia 23 Unseen foe 16 Flying skull 6 Shawnee 5 Mull 5 Vautrin 3. Still waiting for Gauri, but I think it's safe to say that Felicia goes first.

Felicia is up.


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1
Black Tom wrote:

Initiative order: Felicia 23 Unseen foe 16 Flying skull 6 Shawnee 5 Mull 5 Vautrin 3. Still waiting for Gauri, but I think it's safe to say that Felicia goes first.

Felicia is up.

I'm behind Vautrin; 5 was my penalty. My modified roll was a pathetic 2.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Mull Chorrick wrote:
Black Tom wrote:

Initiative order: Felicia 23 Unseen foe 16 Flying skull 6 Shawnee 5 Mull 5 Vautrin 3. Still waiting for Gauri, but I think it's safe to say that Felicia goes first.

Felicia is up.

I'm behind Vautrin; 5 was my penalty. My modified roll was a pathetic 2.

Where did you get that penalty? I'm afraid I don't use traits or action points.


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1
Black Tom wrote:
Mull Chorrick wrote:
Black Tom wrote:

Initiative order: Felicia 23 Unseen foe 16 Flying skull 6 Shawnee 5 Mull 5 Vautrin 3. Still waiting for Gauri, but I think it's safe to say that Felicia goes first.

Felicia is up.

I'm behind Vautrin; 5 was my penalty. My modified roll was a pathetic 2.
Where did you get that penalty? I'm afraid I don't use traits or action points.

Tom:He's applied his Armour Check Penalty to his Initiative.

Mull: ACP only applies to STR and DEX Based Skill Checks according to Beta Rulebook p. 108. Even though it is DEX Based, Initiative is not a Skill Check. That means you actually got 7 and so go before the Flying Skull.
On another note, you applied the wrong ACP anyway. Hide only has a -3 ACP and you've written -5.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 6

Normally Felicia would give a more rising speech to try and inspire everyone but in her current frame of mind all she was able to come up with was a "Well don't just stand there get it"

Inspire courage everyone gets a +1 to attack and damage as well as saves against charm or fear


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Moving Mull up to his correct initiative of 7.

Keeping watch in all directions, Mull spots another pair of red eyes, as an incorporeal creature of some kind is trying to sneak up on you out of the bog (in the opposite direction from the flying skull). It's now about 20 feet away.

Mull is up, then the flying skull.


Female Half Elf Monk 1st

Initiative 14
perception 15 (17 if it is seeing, sound based)

Eeck!


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Correction: Gauri and Mull are up, then the skull. Note that Gauri isn't aware of the other monster.


Female Half Elf Monk 1st

Reviled Gauri draws her javelin move action and throws. 5 +3= 8/9 if in 30ft. . Persumably missing.


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1
Black Tom wrote:
Mull Chorrick wrote:
Black Tom wrote:

Initiative order: Felicia 23 Unseen foe 16 Flying skull 6 Shawnee 5 Mull 5 Vautrin 3. Still waiting for Gauri, but I think it's safe to say that Felicia goes first.

Felicia is up.

I'm behind Vautrin; 5 was my penalty. My modified roll was a pathetic 2.
Where did you get that penalty? I'm afraid I don't use traits or action points.

Armor Check? The way I figured it was -3 for the hide armor and -2 for the shield. I could be doing it wrong, though. The PF and 3.x rules are new brew for me.


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1
Shawnee Allegressa wrote:
Black Tom wrote:
Mull Chorrick wrote:
Black Tom wrote:

Initiative order: Felicia 23 Unseen foe 16 Flying skull 6 Shawnee 5 Mull 5 Vautrin 3. Still waiting for Gauri, but I think it's safe to say that Felicia goes first.

Felicia is up.

I'm behind Vautrin; 5 was my penalty. My modified roll was a pathetic 2.
Where did you get that penalty? I'm afraid I don't use traits or action points.

Tom:He's applied his Armour Check Penalty to his Initiative.

Mull: ACP only applies to STR and DEX Based Skill Checks according to Beta Rulebook p. 108. Even though it is DEX Based, Initiative is not a Skill Check. That means you actually got 7 and so go before the Flying Skull.
On another note, you applied the wrong ACP anyway. Hide only has a -3 ACP and you've written -5.

Ah...! Okay. Steep learning curve. Sorry about the confusion.


Gender is a construct. A golem is also a construct. Therefore, my gender is a golem. It says up there I'm a golem. What? That's a race. Bookseller 3, Reader 3, Writer 2, Illustrator 1, DM 1, Bewildered Militant Punk Hippy 5
Black Tom wrote:

Moving Mull up to his correct initiative of 7.

Keeping watch in all directions, Mull spots another pair of red eyes, as an incorporeal creature of some kind is trying to sneak up on you out of the bog (in the opposite direction from the flying skull). It's now about 20 feet away.

Mull is up, then the flying skull.

"Ah! Auch! Nasty disembodied eyes arise from the bog!!" shouts Mull as he wheels around, trying to keep an eye on both the flying skull and the incorporeal thing floating up out of the swamp. After a brief hesitation, he focuses his attention on the ghostly figure coming in, keeping close to Felicia and those gathered around her.

"You all watch that skull! I've got my eyes on this hellsfreak thing creeping up on us!" He pulls up his heavy shield for defense, and peers out towards the creature, trying to get a better handle on what it might be.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
A 2E Floppy-Eared Golem wrote:
"You all watch that skull! I've got my eyes on this hellsfreak thing creeping up on us!" He pulls up his heavy shield for defense, and peers out towards the creature, trying to get a better handle on what it might be.

That's what the Knowledge (religion) check was for. You might want to post an action, too. (The knowledge check is free, and I assume that you have your shield at the ready.)

The skull shrieks, a bone-piercing, unearthly sound that assaults you like a clammy hand clutching your throat, and swoops in for the kill , moving 30 feet closer.

You all need to make a Fortitude check vs 12, but at +1 due to Felicia's hortatory skills.

Vautrin and Shawnee are up, then Felicia, assuming you make your saves....


Gender is a construct. A golem is also a construct. Therefore, my gender is a golem. It says up there I'm a golem. What? That's a race. Bookseller 3, Reader 3, Writer 2, Illustrator 1, DM 1, Bewildered Militant Punk Hippy 5
Black Tom wrote:
That's what the Knowledge (religion) check was for. You might want to post an action, too. (The knowledge check is free, and I assume that you have your shield at the ready.)

He is standing his ground, ready to swing his warhammer at the incorporeal entity when it is close enough

Black Tom wrote:
You all need to make a Fortitude check vs 12, but at +1 due to Felicia's hortatory skills.

Save roll: 21


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 6

1 d 20 + 3=13


Fort Save 11. (+1 for bardic music, making it 12. Sheesh.)

Vautrin draws the hand crossbow dangling at his side and shoots the nearest abomination.

"I hate this.", he manages to mutter to no one in particular.


Female Half Elf Monk 1st

save roll 20+1= 21


Female Half Elf Monk 1st

“Remember. It.. do to me naught ...but that my mind ...allows” Gauri quietly chimes to herself. Repeating the words over and over. Until it has become a mantra, the words taking a steely tone of absolute conviction.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Although Vautrin briefly stops in his tracks, you manage to shake off the uncanny influence of the beast's shrieking. Vautrin's crossbow bolt even seems to hurt the creature, even if it does nothing to slow it down.

Shawnee and Felicia are up.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 6

Would it be okay to draw a weapon whilst moving as part of the same action? if so

Felicia draws her rapier and takes a swing at the winged horror

To hit

1 d 20 + 5=13

Damage

1 d 4 + 2=4


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Felicia Leadium wrote:

Would it be okay to draw a weapon whilst moving as part of the same action? if so

Felicia draws her rapier and takes a swing at the winged horror.

It would, but only if you have a BAB of +1 or greater, which you don't. Also the winged horror is 30 feet away and your move is only 20'.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 6

Np Ill just continue to inspire courage then and use a move action to draw her weapon.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Shawnee delays.

The insubstantial menace draws close and Mull stands ready to bash it with his mace. To his dismay it passes right through the spectral figure, which retaliates by extending a ghostly hand and touching Mull's forehead.

Ouch, a natural 20, and a crit confirmation. This is going to hurt...

As Mull feels the chill touch, his mind is strangely clouded with nightmarish visions, marring his concentration and troubling his sanity. He takes 7 points of Wisdom damage.

The flying skull launches itself at Gauri, still shrieking even though by now you've learnt to ignore it. With vicious teeth it tears at her exposed flesh, dealing 2 points of damage.

Shawnee, Gauri and Vautrin are up, then Felicia and Mull.


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1
Black Tom wrote:
Shawnee delays.

Sorry, had a busy weekend.

Fortitude Save. (1d20+2=5)
I'm not quite sure if she can take an action now that she failed that save. If she can:

Shawnee slashes her Rapier at the Flying Skull attacking Guari.
Attack Roll against Flying Skull. (1d20+2=19)
Damage. (1d6=5)


Female Half Elf Monk 1st

Ignoring the gash gauri launches a flurry of blows at the skull. (d20-2,=12, 1d20-2=15, Dmg 1d6=2, 1d6=5)


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

No problem. Just thought I'd keep the game moving.

Shawnee is paralyzed from fright, while Gauri unleashes a serie of swift blows and kicks at the flying creature. As her foot thuds into the rotting flesh it falls to the ground, motionless. This sight relieves Shawnee and she can act again.

Vautrin, Shawnee, Felicia and Mull are up.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 6

If she is able to Felicia will move and take a swing at the spectral creature.


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1

Shawnee turns slightly as Arcane Syllables tumble from her mouth. She raises her hand and places it upon the tree behind her. Suddenly, a bright light suddenly springs forth to illuminate the area.

Cast light on the tree behind us so we can see the creature. And if it likes the darkness, hopefully it might back off.


"Dammit!" Vautrin curses as he reloads his hand-crossbow. "I don't think we can hurt this thing. How can you take it down, if you can't crack it's skull? That's what I wanna know." Vautrin will get into a defensive position beside Shawnee and the Light.

Yikes. No magic or magic weapons here. Let's hope it gives up for no reason.


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1
Black Tom wrote:

The insubstantial menace draws close and Mull stands ready to bash it with his mace. To his dismay it passes right through the spectral figure, which retaliates by extending a ghostly hand and touching Mull's forehead.

Ouch, a natural 20, and a crit confirmation. This is going to hurt...

As Mull feels the chill touch, his mind is strangely clouded with nightmarish visions, marring his concentration and troubling his sanity. He takes 7 points of Wisdom damage.

After a brief fit of gibbering and howling, making sounds of awful anguish, Mull shakes it off. He wheezes horrible laughter. "Oh!!" he yells. "Oh!! The horror! The horror!!" He grins malevolently as he advances on the incorporeal fiend. Having thrown down his warhammer, he pushes forward, thrusting forth a wooden symbol of wheels and spirals hanging from around his neck. He grimaces and spits out strange syllables and guttural words as he moves forward with force and will, attempting to drive the ghostly thing back into the night.

Tom, do I need to make a roll to channel energy?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Mull Chorrick wrote:
Tom, do I need to make a roll to channel energy?

You just need to roll for damage. I'll do it this time. A 6, nice!

Shawnee's light highlights the translucent creature. Its indeterminate features look more like a mask than a face and express madness and horror, especially as Mull's holy symbol flashes bright and the light sears through it. More surprised than hurt it nevertheless briefly retreats. Incidentally Mull's burst of enery heals Gauri's wounds - if she makes a Fortitude save vs. 12.

This is your cue and you make haste away from that accursed place. Anywhere else must be better.

On the bright side, you just earned your first 350 xp.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Running in the dark, with only the occasional Light spell to guide you, you cross a wooden bridge. But just as you leave it you hear a crash behind you and see the bridge collapsing. You make make a Perception check, looking back.

There is nothing to it than to continue. Soon you stand before an impressive building which looks as if it grew out of the bleak hillside. Age-old moss clings desperately to its massive walls. The sprawling building contains three floors.

As you knock on the massive doors, hoping for shelter, a servant opens, looking unsurprised to see you and motions for you to come in. While you are being ushered into a waiting room, you cannot but notice that the paintings are somewhat dulled and that the manor generally seems to be sagging under its age.

You hear a commotion in the distance as you wait. After a short while a scowling impeccably dressed middle-aged man appears and introduces himself as Cranmar, first servant (stressing the "first"). "You must be the adventurers sent for to deal with the monster, I understand", he says, mirthlessly. "I am afraid you have come at a most inauspicious hour. Master Stephen seems to have had a deplorable accident and lord Uther is much to distraught to receive you at the moment. However I will do my best to see that you are properly lodged and to answer all of your questions."


Looking back at the collapsed bridge, Vautrin idly examines it. "Too many rolls at dinner, I s'pose." he quietly comments.

--
Vautrin does his best to acknowledge everything Cranmar has to say. "Yes, yes. The monster. Hopefully there is only one left. We had a run-in with it on the way here. You should've heard it's wail. Terrible I say. I'd like a room with a fireplace. A lit one, preferably. I don't think it's possible to be more thoroughly soaked through."


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1
Black Tom wrote:
You make make a Perception check, looking back.

Perception check: 6

Actually, since Mull just got a lot less wise for the time being, that roll is probably actually only a 3 without his WIS modifier. Shucks.


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1
Vautrin wrote:

Looking back at the collapsed bridge, Vautrin idly examines it. "Too many rolls at dinner, I s'pose." he quietly comments.

--
Vautrin does his best to acknowledge everything Cranmar has to say. "Yes, yes. The monster. Hopefully there is only one left. We had a run-in with it on the way here. You should've heard it's wail. Terrible I say. I'd like a room with a fireplace. A lit one, preferably. I don't think it's possible to be more thoroughly soaked through."

Mull boggles at Vautrin's racing monologue. He steps forward.

"Hold on a moment," he says, looking at the first servant. "Now what's this about us being sent for? I don't recall having received any kind of summons, but we sure as hells ran into a couple of really nutty horrors out there near the marshes! What is going on here? I'll not take a room until I find out more about what's happening."

With this, he looks around the front chamber. "But that bit about a fireplace," he adds, looking back at Vautrin, "now that's a sensible notion."


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 6

Perception check

1 d 20 - 1=13


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1

Perception Check. (1d20+2=3)
Intent on getting as far away from the creature as possible, Shawnee doedn't even notice that the bridge has collapsed behind her.

She slows as the building appears through the rain, motioning for the others to do the same. Any kind of respite from the storm and dangers is a welcome one, but she has a bad feeling about this.

"I am Shawnee Allegressa, formerly of Seasteadholm and travelling to Zerthstone. I do believe you may have us mixed up with another group, but as I myself am an Investigator of sorts, I would be delighted to help in any way I can."
She follows listens to what Cranmar has to say and then follows him wherever he may lead.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Cranmar looks a tad distressed. "I don't suppose that two of you would consider sharing a room. We were only expecting four adventurers, and with the latest unpleasantness... I must confess I am a little distracted..." He shows you upstairs to four nice but somewhat musty rooms, one of which has two beds.

"There's a sitting room right here where you can wait for a minute until lord Uther can see you. I hope you will be comfortable. Now if you will excuse me..."

He bows stiffly and makes ready to leave.

Unless you have any questions for Cranmar I'll assume that you accept the rooms, which are of diverse size. Do any of you want to share a room?

1 to 50 of 89 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Terror at Trollmarsh All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.