Terror at Trollmarsh


Play-by-Post

51 to 89 of 89 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Female Halfling Swashbuckler 6

Felicia doesn't take up much space so she wouldent mind sharing a room.


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1
Felicia Leadium wrote:
Felicia doesn't take up much space so she wouldent mind sharing a room.

Shawnee will share with Felicia.


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1

After making it clear to everyone within yelling vicinity that, if this is how it is going to be, if they must stay here, he must have his own room in order for him to be properly rested and attuned. "I need at least an hour of absolute solitude and silence in the mornings to meditate and prepare myself for the coming day!" he shouts. His eyes are strained, his hair and beard soaked and wind-blown; indeed his entire countenance seems frazzled and unhinged.

He scrunches up his forehead and places one hand upon it. In considerably softer tones, he says, "If no one minds, I think I will retire for the evening. I have a splintering headache, and I do believe that I am much worse for wear after having been touched by that... ghastly... spectral... thing earlier. Pardon."

Before retreating completely, he turns back and adds, "Do catch me up in the morning on the proceedings of your meeting with Ulcer, or Uster, Booster, Bulster, Bumbastard, or whatever his name is..."

Several minutes later, anyone lingering in the hallway may hear from behind Mull's closed door, a muffled, angry-sounding soliloquy accompanied by what could be furniture and other large items being moved around or turned over.

Hope that wasn't a bit much... ;) Mull's a bit batty


Love it.

"I, for one, also require a separate room. Not even mentioning the indecency of sharing a room with the fairer sex, there are certain intimacies about my person that I would prefer be kept to myself. I don't know any of you well enough to divulge them at this point and purpose. There's nothing more disagreeable than to have people finding out your little infirmities."

Vautrin retreats to one of the single rooms and sets most of his clothing out to dry. He returns to the drawing room wearing only his underpants and his fur-lined hat. He thumbs a worn little snuffbox idly while he waits for the others and the Lord.


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1
Vautrin wrote:

Love it.

He returns to the drawing room wearing only his underpants and his fur-lined hat.

Likewise: love it! Very ludicrous.


Female Half Elf Monk 1st

Fortitude save 1d20+1=14
Perception check 1d20+7/9 =14/16

Gauri gives mull a quizzical look after this outburst.

I need… plenty of space. She stumbles over the words as speaks and averts her eyes as if she had said something embarrassing. And then darts into one of the unoccupied rooms.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

After making yourselves comfortable in your rooms (as best you are able) you reconvene in the sitting room to wait for the lord of the manor to make his appearance.

After a while one of the doors open and a middle-aged, plain and somewhat dishevelled woman enters. She is wearing an rather expensive but somewhat drab dress. As she spots Vautrin she starts visibly, but soon regains her composure.

"I don't think we have been introduced", she says to you all, smiling. "I am Lady Jennifer, companion of Lady Elena. And you must be the monster hunters. I'm sorry that Lord Uther hasn't been able to receive you properly. We are all absolutely shattered by this horrible murder. I was just going to get my salts."


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1

Shawnee bows slightly and introduces herself.

"Is there anything that you might be able to tell us about the murder and the monster? Anything that can help us devise a plan while we wait for Lord Uther?"


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Lady Jennifer looks at you wide-eyed. "Oh my god, you don't know? Well, of course you don't, you just got here. Silly me."

"We just found master Stephen murdered in his room. Stabbed in the back, I think. I nearly passed out from the mere glimpse I caught. Now Stephen was a... lively child, but I can't imagine who would do such a dreadful thing."

"Stephen is... was Uther's nephew. It all makes no sense to me. It's just too horrible" She sobs and wipes her eyes.

"Now the monster, I don't know much about that, but I do know that Dogbry - that's the captain of the guard - led his men down to fight it, but it slew five men and put the rest of them to flight. I so hope that you will be able to defeat it."

Looking around, she whispers: "Could you get that man to put something on. It is most unbecoming."


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1
Black Tom wrote:

Looking around, she whispers: "Could you get that man to put something on. It is most unbecoming."

*chuckle*


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 6

Looking just about everywhere except at Vautrin with something of an embarrassed blush on her face "Hey uh maybe you could go upstairs and put some more clothes on" Felicia can't help but think that she has thrown her lot in with some very strange people.


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1

"Yes, please go and put some clothes on it is very distracting."

She mulls Jennifer's answers over for a second. "So was it the monster that slew Stephen, or were they two seperate inncidents? How long ago was the monster herre and how long ago was Stephen discovered?"


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Shawnee Allegressa wrote:
She mulls Jennifer's answers over for a second. "So was it the monster that slew Stephen, or were they two seperate inncidents? How long ago was the monster herre and how long ago was Stephen discovered?"

"Oh, no. The monster is in the cellar, in the catacombs. It's been there for a few weeks, I guess. It's ha terrible menace, of course, but it's only really dangerous for the servants who have to get provisions in the stores below. And by the descriptions I've had it's simply too large to get through any of the trapdoors leading down."

"It's much worse with Stephen. One of the girls found him about an hour ago, stabbed to death with something sharp. The worst of it is that the murderer must still be in the building. Whoever would do such a horrible thing? And might he not strike again?"

She rushes off to get her salts.


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1

Shawnee turns to the others, pointedly keeping her eyes away from Vautrin.
"Well this monster thing might be up your alley, being hardy adventurers and all, but this murder investigation is something I can sink my teeth into. What say we work together on this. I'll help you with your monster problem and you help me solve this murder?" You never know, this could be the start of a working relationship.


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1

Bump. This scenario seems to be stagnating.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Somewhat later, a stern middle-aged man appears, escorted by a gaunt man in clerical garb and a scowling half-orc, whose little piggy eyes scrutinize you carefully. He introduces himself as Uther XI of Trollmarsh and deplores that you have come at such an unfortunate hour, but that they need any help they can get with the monster.

He trusts that you have been given your rooms and says that he'll introduce you to the rest of the family in the morning. That is, unless you have any questions.


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1

Shawnee bows to Lord Uther, introducing herself and says, "the only question I have at this time my Lord is this: Do you think that the murder had anything at all to do with the monster?"


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

"Nothing at all, unless the monster has learned to climb stairs and use knives. As far as reports go, the monster is fierce and brutal, but rather savage and of limited intelligence. Unless someone unleashed it as some kind of distraction, I see no connection."

"Also the monster has been around for a few weeks now, and Stephen was murdered just now. Why anyone would murder a small boy is beyond me. It makes no sense at all."


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1

"Thank you Sir. It truly is a heinous crime. If you require any assistance in the investigation of the crime I and my companions would be only too ready to help. I am a proffessional investigator you see."
He doesn't need to know this would be my first case she thinks to herself.


Vautrin simply handwaves away any prudish concerns about his dress. "I put me clothes by the fire. As close as I could. They'll be dry in no time. You don't want me to catch a nasty cold do ya? I've seen a lotta strong men turned inside out from the hacking and wheezing that could bring."

Vautrin is silent throughout the description of the murder. His eyes dart carefully around the room, searching the faces of everyone present. He finally speaks to the others: "The murder is terrible, I must agree. I'm not sure I would rule out anyone here as the culprit. Coldly stabbing someone in the back is a cruelly human gesture. Any self-respecting 'monster' would not engage in such a vicious act. I'll not rule out the possibility of the events being connected, I would simply like to state, for the record, that we probably have more than one culprit at large."

When Uther addresses the group, Vautrin pipes in: "And we are the group to dispose of any and all monsters. The area seems to be plagued with them, if our travel here is any indication. I, for one, would rather not get stabbed in the back. Nor would I like to be bit, swallowed, chopped, chewed, gobbled, fricasseed, or otherwise maimed. We shall get to the bottom of this, I assure you, if only to save ourselves from such a fate as Stephen and the others. There were others, no?"

At this point Vautrin bows and takes off his wet hat; "But, Lord Uther, we shall need some assistance from you. We will track down and slay this beast, but you need to tell us more about it. I have seen many in my time, and I have heard tales of even more. What do you know about it? How can we stand a chance against it?"


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

"Oh, I only know what my men have told me. The monster is apparently of the size of a small horse, covered in fur and with razor-sharp claws and teeth. It could be anything, but the men are convinced it is no animal, but some kind of unnatural, monstrous beast. I don't know how you can beat it and I can't blame you if you won't even try. But since the bridge is out, you won't be going anywhere anytime soon, so I hope you'll accept my hospitality for now, even if I must confess that I am a bit distraught by the murder of my nephew. But we'll speak more in the morning. Good night."

After a while in front of the fireplace you feel a lot better, and even Vautrin can be persuaded to put something on. You decide that you need a good night's rest if you are to tackle the mystery, not to mention the monster.

The next day you wake up in a much better mood and Mull regains 1 point of Wisdom. You can also prepare new spells or just recharge your slots.

At breakfast Uther looks distinctly tired and unwell. Apparently he hasn't slept very well, but he does his best to be a gracious host and introduces you to his family.

There is Elena, his wife, a thin, bird-like little woman with a perpetual cough. You've met her companion, lady Jennifer, who smiles at you.

There is also Uther's eldest son Dane, a slim young man with a shock of fair hair, who's rather on the quiet side. His fiancée, Helena, is even more demure, with long dark hair and a very simple (but elegant) dress.

There are many more, but these are the ones you are introduced to. Uther's mother Cordelia was supposed to be there too, but a servant girl is just telling Uther that Bardolph visited her and took her to the ice room.

Uther is annoyed. "The ice room? What on earth would she do there?"


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

There is a bustle at the table, as some of the guests start an animated discussion about what's going on. Apparently a servant girl disappeared last night, presumably eaten by the monster.

Seated near you is an attractive young lady, tall and slim with dark hair, who introduces herself as Katherine, Uther's daughter. She asks a number of questions about who you are and what you think about the latest events, and introduces you to her friends lady Sara, another tall and dark young woman wearing breeches and Konrad, a handsome warrior with a well-trimmed moustache.

Katherine looks at you inquiringly. "Well, what do you think?"


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1
Black Tom wrote:
Katherine looks at you inquiringly. "Well, what do you think?"

"I think these pastries are quite outstanding!" enthuses Mull, grabbing another one from the tray and pulling it apart with glee. He shoves warm pieces of pastry into his mouth and chews barbarously. "Now," he says, with his mouth full of sugary bread and fruit compote, "what kind of monster is it again? And what is this ice room that Lord Uther speaks of? Who is Bartledolph, and why has he taken Uther's mother into such a cold place? She'll catch cold for sure! I know I would."

Mull turns towards Vautrin, pointing at him with one sticky finger. "What say you, knave? Surely you have an opinion about all of this outlandish business, and monsters, and ice, and murders and such? Speak, man!" Suddenly impassioned for no apparent reason, Mull nearly yells this last, leaning intensely towards Vautrin, and spitting tiny, half-chewed pieces of pastry all over those sitting near him.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 6

Felicia watches Mull devourer the pastries in what can only be described as morbid fascination "Er what he said only with less slobbering."


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Studiously ignoring Mull's manners, Katherine frowns and says: "I don't know, but I don't like this. Let's go see what's happened. I'm worried about Granny." She abruptly rises and leaves the room.

In the doorway she bumps into Bardolph and asks him accusingly where Cordelia is. Bardolph looks surprised and declares that he has no idea. Katherine pushes him inside and hurries toward the kitchen.

A young leather-clad and rather handsome man (in a roguish way) sidles up to you (unless you wish to follow Katherine). "I don't like this either. The ice room is where we keep our food. There is some kind of magical mold growing there that keeps it almost freezing all year round. Bardolph is our chaplain, and there is no reason for him to take Granny there. I'm Thorn, by the way. Uther's bastard son."

[ooc]Sense Motive 12:[ooc]

Spoiler:
He seems to relish the effect of his uncouth expression.

Do you want to follow Katherine or will you finish your breakfast (unless Mull put you off it)?


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 6

Deciding that a monster and/or murderer was no where near as terrifying as watching Mull eat Felicia follows Katherine.


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1
Black Tom wrote:


A young leather-clad and rather handsome man (in a roguish way) sidles up to you (unless you wish to follow Katherine). "I don't like this either. The ice room is where we keep our food. There is some kind of magical mold growing there that keeps it almost freezing all year round. Bardolph is our chaplain, and there is no reason for him to take Granny there. I'm Thorn, by the way. Uther's bastard son."

Sense Motive = 7 (failure)

Squinting discriminatingly at Thorn, Mull hesitates for a moment, then bursts into uproarious laughter. "Bastard, did you say?" He smacks a hand on the table. "Fantastic!" The dwarf then greedily guzzles a sweet breakfast beverage from and elaborate mug, motioning Thorn to sit down. "Come on, lad, sit down! Do tell us about the magical mold and the ice and your Granny and your illustrious heritage! Hey. Do ya have a lot of food kept down in this ice room of yours? These pastries are just excellent, by the way." Mull shoves another one into his mouth.


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1

Shawnee listens intently to everything Katherine has to say, then moves to follow her along with Felicia. Thorn's arrival makes her pause, but she thinks that Katherine may be the better avenue for investigating what is occurring. Plus it will mean she doesn't have to watch the dwarf eat.

Sorry for my scarcity. Been writing and re-writing and re-writing again these last couple of days. =D


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Shawnee and Felicia:

Spoiler:
You follow Katherine as she briskly moves to a corner, beckoning a servant girl to escort her, carrying a torch. She explains to you that the ice room is located in the tunnels, a crisscrossing network of passages built so that servants could move invisibly about the manor. Even Katherine seems a little unsure of her way down here, but the servant girl proceeds briskly. She doesn't seem to know much about why Cordelia would want to visit the ice room, but several people saw Bardolph escort her through the tunnels.

You can almost feel the cold outside the heavy door to the ice room, and as the door is opened for you, the frail body of Cordelia falls out, frozen stiff. Apparently the old lady has succumbed to the bitter cold, for she is quite dead. Katherine lets out a little sound of shock and dismay. What do you do?

Mull, Vautrin and Gauri:

Spoiler:
Thorn looks at you with amusement. "Yes, he says. "Uther impregnated my mother as she worked as a servant here, but for some reason he acknowledged me. I don't think Elana ever forgave him, but she's nice enough to me. Bardolph is horrified, of course, but at least he tries to hide it. Katherine is quite cool about it, and so is Dane, but with all those crazy notions he gets from that Dr Halvinstrom" (he indicates a short plump man with a goatee and a beak nose at a nearby table) "you never know with him. Did you hear about that horrible business with Stephen? That kid was a nuisance for sure, but he was still my cousin, and I can't see why anyone would murder a child. It's all too strange."


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 6

Felicia Has a quick look over the woman and the Ice room.

Perception

1 d20 -1=7

"Oh my. Maybe the door shut behind her and she couldn't get out?"


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1

Mull follows Thorn's speech with much chewing and nodding. He looks over at the pudgy doctor when Thorn gestures towards him. "What's his deal?" the dwarf interjects before Thorn has finished talking. Then, as Thorn continues and mentions the murder of Stephen, Mull blurts out, "Yeah? How old was that kiddo? Got knifed in the back, did he? Bad business, bad business indeed!" The wild priest sits back in his chair, stretching and wiping his mouth with the sleeve of his clerical vestments, repeating as he does so low rumblings about "bad business" and "good pastries," but also looking towards Thorn and the others as they continue the conversation.


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1

Spoiler:

Perception Check. (1d20+2=17)
Shawnee tries to pay as much attention to the path taken as she can.

The scene before her sends a tingle of electricity up her spine as her mind tries to take in everything she can see about what may have occurred. The shock however, combined with her excitement, has her unable to determine much if anything.
Perception Check. (1d20+2=6)
What... is this?" she asks Katherine. "Why would your priest do such a thing? Was The old woman ill, or suffering?"
"I think we shall need to have a talk with this Bardolph, and that he should be detained for the present in case he has anything to do with the other murder."


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

I'm sorry but I've been a little overwhelmed at work lately and tomorrow I'm going on vacation for a week. I fear that this game will lose what little momentum it has, so I'm ending it now.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I think it's better this way. You've been great so far, and I hope to see you in another game some time.

And in case you're wondering, the butler did it. ;o)

Dark Archive

Black Tom wrote:

I'm sorry but I've been a little overwhelmed at work lately and tomorrow I'm going on vacation for a week. I fear that this game will lose what little momentum it has, so I'm ending it now.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I think it's better this way. You've been great so far, and I hope to see you in another game some time.

And in case you're wondering, the butler did it. ;o)

Np. Just out of curiosity would it be possible to transfer the char over to one of the other games your running? (If your looking for any players that is.)


Male Dwarf Cleric (favored class) 1
Black Tom wrote:

I'm sorry but I've been a little overwhelmed at work lately and tomorrow I'm going on vacation for a week. I fear that this game will lose what little momentum it has, so I'm ending it now.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I think it's better this way. You've been great so far, and I hope to see you in another game some time.

And in case you're wondering, the butler did it. ;o)

"What??! Nonsense." Mull dismisses Black Tom's nay-saying with a wave of his hand and continues to enjoy himself at the well-spread table, gorging himself on pastries.

Scarab Sages

Male Bullish

Yum! Pastry!

Nice to see another person remembers White Dwarf, from when they printed D&D adventures!


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Kevin Mack wrote:
Np. Just out of curiosity would it be possible to transfer the char over to one of the other games your running? (If your looking for any players that is.)

I'd love to have any of you in one of my other games (keeping the character) but for the moment they are both full.


Female Human (Alryan) Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer 1
Black Tom wrote:
I'd love to have any of you in one of my other games (keeping the character) but for the moment they are both full.

Keep me in mind if a spot becomes avaiable. :)


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 6

Keep me in mind as well.

51 to 89 of 89 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Terror at Trollmarsh All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.