Great '80s Movies


Movies

51 to 100 of 127 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Ladyhawke

The Karate Kid

Scarab Sages

Pookachan wrote:
The Karate Kid

Wax on...Wax off


S.Baldrick wrote:
Torpedo wrote:

I watched Hawk the Slayer over and over again nearly every time they played it in heavy rotation on the cable movie channels. For those unfamiliar, here are two minutes of AWESOME!

I recently picked up a copy of Hawk the Slayer on DVD. I honestly thought that it was awesome and I can't believe that I missed that one back in my teenage years.

OMG


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Kruelaid wrote:
S.Baldrick wrote:
Torpedo wrote:

I watched Hawk the Slayer over and over again nearly every time they played it in heavy rotation on the cable movie channels. For those unfamiliar, here are two minutes of AWESOME!

I recently picked up a copy of Hawk the Slayer on DVD. I honestly thought that it was awesome and I can't believe that I missed that one back in my teenage years.
OMG

Hawk the Slayer

Totally a better D&D movie than the D&D movie.
It may be cheesy, but so is pizza and I love pizza.


Bill Dunn wrote:


Hawk the Slayer
Totally a better D&D movie than the D&D movie.
It may be cheesy, but so is pizza and I love pizza.

I completely forgot about Hawk the Slayer! the best Cheesefest of 80's fantasy movies. Right up there with The Sword and the Sorcerer and the Deathstalker series!

Scarab Sages

The Land Before Time

The first movie I saw in theatres. Too bad they made 13 sequels.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

HEAVY METAL.

Which can only be fully appreciated if you were a 15-year-old boy in 1981.

Dark Archive

Andrew Crossett wrote:

HEAVY METAL.

Which can only be fully appreciated if you were a 15-year-old boy in 1981.

My uncles gave that to me when I was 10...didn't understand it till I was 15 *evil grin*

Did anyone mention Aliens and their subsequent sequels??

Silver Crusade

The Goonies shaped my childhood more than any other film.

Scarab Sages

Mikaze wrote:
The Goonies shaped my childhood more than any other film.

Unfortunately?, my childhood was shaped by the Bond films and Terminator

EDIT: Is it wierd that my parents let me watch Terminator around the same time as Land Before Time...?

Silver Crusade

Jal Dorak wrote:


EDIT: Is it wierd that my parents let me watch Terminator around the same time as Land Before Time...?

I daresay Land Before Time was as if not more Nightmare Fuel inducing than Terminator. Films aimed towards kids back then could get pretty freaky back in the day.

I know a girl who is still bothered by the Chamberlain stripping scene from Dark Crystal.

Scarab Sages

Mikaze wrote:
Jal Dorak wrote:


EDIT: Is it wierd that my parents let me watch Terminator around the same time as Land Before Time...?

I daresay Land Before Time was as if not more Nightmare Fuel inducing than Terminator. Films aimed towards kids back then could get pretty freaky back in the day.

I know a girl who is still bothered by the Chamberlain stripping scene from Dark Crystal.

Agreed. I watched Neverending Story as a kid, and was traumatized by the G'Mork (wolf with red eyes). Wasn't helped by White Fang when I was 10. I love wolves now, but for many years I was terrified (not of wolves, if I saw one I was fine, but of the concept of wolves stalking people).

Liberty's Edge

Mikaze wrote:
Jal Dorak wrote:


EDIT: Is it wierd that my parents let me watch Terminator around the same time as Land Before Time...?

I daresay Land Before Time was as if not more Nightmare Fuel inducing than Terminator. Films aimed towards kids back then could get pretty freaky back in the day.

I know a girl who is still bothered by the Chamberlain stripping scene from Dark Crystal.

There's something truly creepy about those skeksi puppets. My 7-year old doesn't like to watch The Dark Crystal because it scares him, but he'll watch movies which, in my opinion, are scarier and not be phased in the slightest (i.e. The Mummy).


History of the World part 1
Excalibur
Ladyhawke
Any Star Wars movie
The Goonies
Bladerunner
Heavy Metal
Legend
Big Trouble in Little China
Revenge of the Nerds
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

the list goes on and on...


Andrew Crossett wrote:

HEAVY METAL.

Which can only be fully appreciated if you were a 15-year-old boy in 1981.

Because there's no other age at which boobies can have such an amazingly stimulating impact.

Also, I can't even read the words HEAVY METAL without mentally slanting them down on the right side. Glik.


Red Dawn

Coupled with Toy Soldiers and TAPS, they make for the greatest '80s Tripple Feature ever!


Aliens

"They come at night mostly...."


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Pookachan wrote:

Ladyhawke

The Karate Kid

With Pookachan's original offering of The Princess Bride, I must totally agree. The Princess Bride is the greatest movie ever, but THE MOST ENJOYABLE time in a movie theatre I ever had was a showing of Ladyhawke in Tucson. A group of us went out and saw Ladyhawke for probably the third or fourth time after a long gaming session. The best part of it was we were a bunch of college age gamers and the only other group in the theatre was a group of similarly aged girls.

We chose to defend evil as they were constantly cheering on the side of good. I hope they enjoyed the good-natured banter because we all still recall this great and memorable showing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Shanda Sage wrote:

Red Dawn

Coupled with Toy Soldiers and TAPS, they make for the greatest '80s Tripple Feature ever!

Oh yes...undoubtedly Red Dawn.... I just love the scene that I am about to butcher....

so who is on our side?
six hundred thousand screaming chinamen.
but I thought there was a billion people living in china?
there was...

any movie that keeps you awake at night plotting escape routes into the countryside is a classic in my book. Then again my friends find it bizarre that I have calculated the best firing arcs from the cover of my laundry room window just in case zombies ever meander through my front lawn. Sure....sure...I may be the crazy friend with automatic weapons and stashes of canned goods now but......

Silver Crusade

You guys really should put your sunglasses on.

Gotta look cool if we're going down to Chinatown.


To Live and Die in L.A.

(best Cops movie of the 80's)


Ran- (1985, Akira Kurosawa)

Brazil- (1985, Terry Gilliam)

This Is Spinal Tap- (1984, Rob Reiner)


"I'm sure in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined."

Liberty's Edge

Conan the Barbarian (Conan the Destroyer was rubbish for the most part)
The Terminator
Aliens
Ruthless People
Wall Street
Breaker Morant (one of the best movies ever made in any decade)
First Blood (easily the best of the Rambo films IMO)
Risky Business
The Sword and the Sorcerer
This is Spinal Tap
Deathstaker (A Roger Corman classic with the late Lana Clarkson. OK. It was dreadful but it had Lana Clarkson!)

Liberty's Edge

They showed The Breakfast Club at college in the auditorium. Very good movie. I like movies where everyone's really laughing at the funny parts, grossing out at the bad ones and engrossed in the serious ones.

Gremlins was fun, too, although I wouldn't consider that a great movie. I remember the good times watching it at college, though.

Liberty's Edge

Dragonslayer and Flash Gordon are also great 80's flicks...forgot those earlier...

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

How could y'all miss this one?

"Who is the one and only master?"

"I am."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

"Who runs Bartertown?"

"Master Blaster runs Bartertown!"

Liberty's Edge

I only lived through about one-third of the '80s, but still...

I'm also amazed that no one mentioned this one:

EVIL DEAD II

Obsessed fan: "Yo, man, you know what my favorite thing to do is? Drop acid and watch Evil Dead 2, man."
Bruce Campbell: "Wll... since the movie is like an acid trip in the first place, wouldn't that make it seem normal?"
Obsessed fan: "No, dude. It bruises your brain."
- From "If Chins Could Kill" by Bruce Campbell


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The Monster Squad
The Karate Kid trilogy
Big Trouble in Little China
Aliens
The Thing
Police Story
Zu Warriors
Shanghai Express
C.H.U.D.
Street Trash (...It melts...)
The Stuff
The Jerk
The Man with Two Brains
The Three Amigos
Jaws
Piranha! :P
Return of the Living Dead (and Part 2)
The Blob (remake)
Clash of the Titans
Tron
ET


Shadowborn wrote:

"Who runs Bartertown?"

"Master Blaster runs Bartertown!"

*Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!*


And how could I forget Repo Man?! I watched it as a child when I was really ill and couldn't eat and watching the movie wrapped up in a blanket on the sofa made me feel all warm inside. It changed my life.

Sovereign Court

R-type wrote:

And how could I forget Repo Man?! I watched it as a child when I was really ill and couldn't eat and watching the movie wrapped up in a blanket on the sofa made me feel all warm inside. It changed my life.

Sometimes people just explode. Natural Causes.

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

I don't see The Hidden yet.

Mmmm. Claudia Christian. Couldn't watch Babylon5 without thinking of Ivanova as a hot, alien-possessed stripper chick.


'Erik the Viking' rocked!

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

People might debate whether it was "great" or not, but: The Golden Child.

"My dear brother Numsey!"


Andrew Crossett wrote:

HEAVY METAL.

Which can only be fully appreciated if you were a 15-year-old boy in 1981.

Which, by very strange coincidence, I was. Even stranger is that Heavy Metal was my first thought, followed by Escape from New York.


John Carpenter's The Thing is a great 80's movie. A great mix of suspense and horror.

Creepshow also had a big effect on me. I was too young to see it in the movie theater, but my older brother came home and gave me about a three hour description of what he saw.

"I want my cake!"


Real Genius - ( trailer )


The Adventures of Baron Munchausen


I tried to find a link on the web, but no luck. It was a foreign (russian?) film called "The Beast" about a lone T-72 tank getting lost in Afghanistan and fighting/fleeing a group of muja'hadin or sumfink.

Scarab Sages

Transformers: The Movie and G.I. Joe: The Movie, two of the greatest movies EVER.

Scarab Sages

GOR!

It's a harsh world...full of cheese.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

While there were great movies made in the 80s, like Aliens, Terminator, Die Hard, etc. that have all been mentioned (and I can still watch The Karate Kid over and over and over), those are, in my opinion, slightly different from 80s movies. I define those as not-quite-great movies, often full on cheese (a la Ice Pirates....God, I shiver in horror at the hours I spent on that flick)that have reached that cult status whereby they elicit the style, level of effects, and other film making techniques in use at the time...
Having said that, I loved so many of the movies already mentioned, I'll throw in:
Beastmaster
Excalibur (John Boorman version)
Near Dark
Lost Boys
Young Guns

The cheese shall never die!!! Only grow stronger! Viva the 80s!


Oh yeah, and Blue Thunder....I actually made my own model attack helicopter and that movie....and Roy Scheider was sooooo cool....

Scarab Sages

Excalibur is a great movie - entirely visual, but nonetheless great. The best presentation of the Romantic Arthurian legend ever.


Jal Dorak wrote:
Excalibur is a great movie - entirely visual, but nonetheless great. The best presentation of the Romantic Arthurian legend ever.

Yes, it's great myth-mongering, legendary storytelling....And Merlin's skullcap was way cool....

Scarab Sages

The Earl of Sandwich wrote:
Jal Dorak wrote:
Excalibur is a great movie - entirely visual, but nonetheless great. The best presentation of the Romantic Arthurian legend ever.

Yes, it's great myth-mongering, legendary storytelling....And Merlin's skullcap was way cool....

Not once in that movie did I my nerd-rage go "But that's not how the Myth goes!"

I enjoy reinterpretations as much as anyone, but when they present themselves as "maybe this is how it really happened" I get a bit uppity.

Scarab Sages

Blood stained Sunday's best wrote:


Oh yes...undoubtedly Red Dawn.... I just love the scene that I am about to butcher....

so who is on our side?
six hundred thousand screaming chinamen.
but I thought there was a billion people living in china?
there was...

It's actually 600 million. But you were close! :D

Here's mine... Night of the Comet!

With quotes like this...

[When her MAC-10 jams while target shooting]
Samantha:
Daddy would have gotten us Uzis.

... it definitely qualifies as a classic! :D


All great movies. 80's movies are some of the best movies.

I must add Clue one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I can watch it again and again. Great cast. Great visual jokes (which is because of the great cast.) Great writing. Who says movies based on games have to suck :P

51 to 100 of 127 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Movies / Great '80s Movies All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.