Indiana Slot 0 IDea


Local Play


From:

John Weber wrote:

So, on August 1st we GMs will be getting the modules we'll be running for Gen Con. I'd really like to organize some slot 0s so we all get a chance to play most of these prior to judging them. I'd be willing to eat 1 or 2 but I'd like to play in the others, if possible.

I live in the Indianapolis, IN area (where Gen Con is being held). How many other volunteer GMs live in/ around this area that would be willing to slot 0 an event or two?

In the event that we can't put together any slot 0s from the people on this list, I will get my local group to run some of these for me prior to GenCon and then I can run some slot 0s for you guys prior to your judging them. I usually help out with Living Greyhawk's Pre GenCon Madness the Wednesday before the con starts. Since LG is now defunct, I won't be DMing there this year and so I could very easily switch to run PF slot 0s instead.

If we CAN get a table together here in the Indy area (or if anyone else plays these mods prior to coming in for the con), that means I'll have more people available (hopefully) to judge some 'last minute' slot 0s for the rest of you guys.

Please let me know:
- if you live in this area and would like to get a table together as soon as we get the mods on Aug 1st.

- if you can arrange your schedule to come in to Indy on Tuesday night or Wednesday and would like to slot 0 a module.

- if you can slot 0 your mods at home, then volunteer to GM the slot 0s here in Indy on Wednesday.

If there's enough of a response, I'll set up an account on Warhorn to get everyone signed up to play. Feel free to post here or email me off-list: jmweber9@comcast.net

Lastly, if anyone has any questions regarding Indy and how to get around, hotels to stay at, etc. please feel free to email me off-list about that, too.

John Weber

John - I plan on GMing for the society as well. This sounds like a great idea.

Count me in.

PS: I started a new thread in order to keep the other clean. No worries


I'm firmly against the idea of GMs participating in slot 0s on the Wednesday before Gen Con starts. That doesn't leave sufficient time to properly prepare and run quality sessions of the Pathfinder Society--especially with the depth the PS is going for with its faction-based adventures.


Gotham Gamemaster wrote:
I'm firmly against the idea of GMs participating in slot 0s on the Wednesday before Gen Con starts. That doesn't leave sufficient time to properly prepare and run quality sessions of the Pathfinder Society--especially with the depth the PS is going for with its faction-based adventures.

Wait.. what?

You think by running the scenario for practice with other GMs a day early is going to somehow make the GMs less prepared for the regular sessions?

But, running on Wednesday wasn't my plan anyway. I'd rather do it during the weeks before GenCon.

That way you've ran them a few times prior.

I'm thinking you should be informed that GMs will get the scenarios on August 1st. Not during or at GenCon.


Hmm---I was assuming that when other GMs play in a slot 0, they don't read that mod so that they may play their own character once through the adventure before they have to run it themselves--and running those last minute was a practice frowned upon by Dave C. whenever I've been a Gen Con or DDXP GM.

If I got that wrong, my apologies!

Scarab Sages

Gotham Gamemaster wrote:

Hmm---I was assuming that when other GMs play in a slot 0, they don't read that mod so that they may play their own character once through the adventure before they have to run it themselves--and running those last minute was a practice frowned upon by Dave C. whenever I've been a Gen Con or DDXP GM.

If I got that wrong, my apologies!

Nope, you got it right. It's not the best way to handle the situation, but it IS an option. Remember that not everyone will be GMing every module and not everyone will be running their modules the very next day. A full night or day to prepare a four-hour module is plenty. I've DM'd hundreds of modules for Living Greyhawk and it usually takes me about 3 hours to FULLY prepare and offer a memorable gaming experience for the players. Of course, in LG GMs were quite often given the mod to prep and run just as the slot was starting and we had to run it completely cold- obviously NOT the best way to go. And, as Dave can attest to, sometimes the senior GM (at Origins and GC) was still printing off the 'revised' or 'just finished' modules minutes before the slot was scheduled to start. I agree with Dave that it should be frowned upon, however, it still happened occasionally.

Back to the point... If a GM wants to play a mod before he runs it he's encouraged to do it with other GMs or a home group long before GC starts. However, sometimes circumstances change things and if the GM can make it into town the day before the con starts, it behooves us to have other people (GMs who may not be running that same module and who have not already played that mod) willing to sit down and play it with him in a slot 0 in order to fill out a table.

I'd like to reiterate that this is sort of a 'last resort' option and not the preferred or recommended option. That's why I was trying to organize slot 0s locally first and then a Wed slot 0 as a last ditch effort.

John

Scarab Sages

Paul Ackerman 70 wrote:

John - I plan on GMing for the society as well. This sounds like a great idea.

Count me in.

Paul-

Great! Where are you located? Hopefully you're in the Indianapolis area and we can schedule a slot 0 a week or two before GC.

Do you know of anyone else interested in slot 0ing with us? I'd prefer to organize a table with as many GMs as possible before inviting other people in.

Do you know which mods you'll be running? I'm signed up for 5 slots but I didn't specify which adventures I'd like to run- I'm leaving it all up to Paizo to determine where they need me most.

John

4/5

John Weber wrote:
Paul Ackerman 70 wrote:

John - I plan on GMing for the society as well. This sounds like a great idea.

Count me in.

Paul-

Great! Where are you located? Hopefully you're in the Indianapolis area and we can schedule a slot 0 a week or two before GC.

Do you know of anyone else interested in slot 0ing with us? I'd prefer to organize a table with as many GMs as possible before inviting other people in.

Do you know which mods you'll be running? I'm signed up for 5 slots but I didn't specify which adventures I'd like to run- I'm leaving it all up to Paizo to determine where they need me most.

John

Don't know about Paul but I would love to slot 0 any of these but I'm in Cincinnati and not going to GenCon. I do plan on running then as soon as possible here in the Queen City unless some players from here are playing them at GenCon.


John Weber wrote:


Paul-

Great! Where are you located? Hopefully you're in the Indianapolis area and we can schedule a slot 0 a week or two before GC.

Do you know of anyone else interested in slot 0ing with us? I'd prefer to organize a table with as many GMs as possible before inviting other people in.

Do you know which mods you'll be running? I'm signed up for 5 slots but I didn't specify which adventures I'd like to run- I'm leaving it all up to Paizo to determine where they need me most.

John

I don't know what modules I'm running. Although I *do* know I'm signed up for all eight slots. Beyond that... I don't know.

But.. I live in Bean Blossom.. which is just north of Nashville which is just north of Bloomington... so... thirty.. forty minutes or so from south side of indy.

I don't know of anyone else running slots for paizo.. but I also know the people I game with are not participating in the Pathfinder Society anyway. So, I might be able to recruit one or two of them.

Beyond that... do you have anyone you could bring in?


John Weber wrote:

Back to the point... If a GM wants to play a mod before he runs it he's encouraged to do it with other GMs or a home group long before GC starts. However, sometimes circumstances change things and if the GM can make it into town the day before the con starts, it behooves us to have other people (GMs who may not be running that same module and who have not already played that mod) willing to sit down and play it with him in a slot 0 in order to fill out a table.

I'd like to reiterate that this is sort of a 'last resort' option and not the preferred or recommended option. That's why I was trying to organize slot 0s locally first and then a Wed slot 0 as a last ditch effort.

John

Thanks for explaining further, John. What you wrote certainly sounds reasonable and I look forward to playing at Gen Con--especially since I know Samwise won't be there to kill my PC like he normally enjoys doing. :)

Scarab Sages

Paul Ackerman 70 wrote:


I don't know what modules I'm running. Although I *do* know I'm signed up for all eight slots. Beyond that... I don't know.

But.. I live in Bean Blossom.. which is just north of Nashville which is just north of Bloomington... so... thirty.. forty minutes or so from south side of indy.

I don't know of anyone else running slots for paizo.. but I also know the people I game with are not participating in the Pathfinder Society anyway. So, I might be able to recruit one or two of them.

Beyond that... do you have anyone you could bring in?

All eight slots? You're an IronMan!

I have a full group of players ready to play. We're trying to work out a day/ time. I have a DM willing to eat the mod(s) since he's not going to be playing at GC or participating in the Society until next year.

Right now, we're looking at Aug 1st, 2nd or 3rd as the following weekend is not possible.

Are you available during that weekend?

Grand Lodge 5/5

Well, if you need one more and someone has an external mic and a laptop, I'd be willing to teleconference in. Worked before :).


John Weber wrote:


All eight slots? You're an IronMan!

I have a full group of players ready to play. We're trying to work out a day/ time. I have a DM willing to eat the mod(s) since he's not going to be playing at GC or participating in the Society until next year.

Right now, we're looking at Aug 1st, 2nd or 3rd as the following weekend is not possible.

Are you available during that weekend?

The second is my normal game night... but other than that.. I'm available.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Events / Local Play / Indiana Slot 0 IDea All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Local Play