Feat Clarifications


Skills & Feats


Cleave: Text states "you can only make one additional attack in a round with this feat." Is this one Cleave attack so that if you have a character with multiple attacks they can only gain the benefit of cleave once or do you sacrifice all additional attacks for the one cleave?

Dodge: text states "you gain +1 dodge bonus to your ac until your next turn." Does this mean that you can only gain the benefit of dodge every other round?


Scabby the Knoll wrote:
Cleave: Text states "you can only make one additional attack in a round with this feat." Is this one Cleave attack so that if you have a character with multiple attacks they can only gain the benefit of cleave once or do you sacrifice all additional attacks for the one cleave?
You sacrifice all additional attacks:
Pathfinder RPG wrote:
Cleave: As a full-round action, make a single melee attack against a foe within reach.
Scabby the Knoll wrote:
Dodge: text states "you gain +1 dodge bonus to your ac until your next turn." Does this mean that you can only gain the benefit of dodge every other round?

No, it simply means to continue to benefit from Dodge you must use it as your Combat Feat on your next turn.


Both are Combat Feats; you can only use one Combat Feat per round. So if you cleave, you cannot also get the Dodge bonus, if you have both feats. Also, Cleave states "As a full-round action, make a single attack". No other attacks on your turn that round.

Also, you must declare if you are using a Combat Feat "Unlike most feats, the benefits from combat feats are not always active. Unless stated otherwise, you must choose to use a combat feat before any attack rolls are made..."

The Exchange

How about this for a suggestion: that you be allowed to use combat feats in the same "tree" in the same round. For example, Mobility and Dodge. Dodge is obviously the prequisite, and both are similar abilities -- you are moving, dodging and weaving through opponents. Same idea with Power Attack and Cleave -- you attack all out and cleave through on a kill. I can go with saying you can't Power Attack and Dodge in the same round - you're either going full offense as in PA/Cleave, or more of a defensive Dodge/Mobility, but not being able to use one feat in a round when it's a prereq of another feat you're using that round seems a little silly.


WarEagleMage wrote:
How about this for a suggestion: that you be allowed to use combat feats in the same "tree" in the same round. For example, Mobility and Dodge. Dodge is obviously the prequisite, and both are similar abilities -- you are moving, dodging and weaving through opponents. Same idea with Power Attack and Cleave -- you attack all out and cleave through on a kill. I can go with saying you can't Power Attack and Dodge in the same round - you're either going full offense as in PA/Cleave, or more of a defensive Dodge/Mobility, but not being able to use one feat in a round when it's a prereq of another feat you're using that round seems a little silly.

I like this suggestion (see my thread on Shield Bashing for similar concerns). However, Power Attack is not a combat feat.


Dazzling Display (p.70) needs clarification too. With a successful Intimidate check, can I frighten or demoralize (shaken) all foes within 30 feet?
The heading text says "frighten" (but this text usually is to give flavor) and Intimidate rules says "shaken".
Please, excuse my English. This is not my mother tongue.

Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game / Alpha Playtest Feedback / Alpha Release 3 / Skills & Feats / Feat Clarifications All Messageboards
Recent threads in Skills & Feats