Evening of an empire, the eagle in autumnn


Play-by-Post

401 to 450 of 2,029 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

"True that."


Guerilla warfare 101


Male Human Cleric 4

"Where's Rufinus? We should find him. Rafi and Lycurgus are a combination even we should respect a little."


Male

Please ask any questions you may have about your options or resources in Constantinople in the discussion thread. In the game thread, please make your plans clear. I will adapt to what you all decide to do, and want to avoid railroading. It is pretty much up to you to decide your character's next actions. Levi and Rufinus are out of the picture. I want you all to know what you intend before they come back into focus.

Levi will want to get his wife from the graveyards.
Modius has a location to investigate.
Rufinus will meet at midday, at Hagia Sophia.
Paper's house is damaged.
Isat has a contact he has never met, one Stratos Kopteros.
Hrothgar needs to keep a low profile.
Levi mentioned wealth, knowledge and power for the taking.
Rafi is probably looking to tie up loose ends.
Alcaeus may have been taken into custody by the legion.
Zalmoxis's body has probably been taken by Rufinus to a temple.
You all need clothing and food.

Levi is delirious. You will not get much out of him. He does not need constant medical attention. He should not be left alone for more than three hours at a stretch, but will not suffer more from lack of care. Some toxins from his gut must have got into his bloodstream, He is just sick. Charcoal and time will set him right.
(I know it does not make perfect sense to have a sick man unnattended, but I am handwaving it, so that Isat does not feel obliged to stay behind. I am also ruling that Isat can tell that Levi will only wake in the afternoon. This is just to let the players direct the action for a while, without the frenetic pace that events can cause.)


M Human Fighter 4

[i]Paper recognizes that the burly Goth has a point.[i]

"I need to see, but until we figure out who is behind this I will wait until dark. I have no wish to add to my scar collection needlessly again."

Just started Sunday hours at work, so heading off. Feel free to use paperr as an NPC if it becomes neccessary.


"I'm going out to get a new cloak. Other than that, barring sneaking around, anything we do I think we should do together."


Male Human Cleric 4

"I'll join you on the clothes buying expedition. Modius, do you know your way around the courts? I need to see a man about a trance. Want to come along?"


"I'm rather lacking information on day to day living around here, having spent the last ten years following around some of the most vile sneakthieves the senate dares employ."

"Speaking of sneakery and assassination, perhaps we could all use a change of clothes and some haircuts."

"So, away we go, gentlemen?"


"I guess that leaves me to babysit Levi. Buy me something to eat when you go out."


Male Human Cleric 4

"No need Red - medically anyway. He's stable. Come and enjoy the delights of Modius being polite if you'd rather. We shouldn't be long." ever the optimist


"He just doesn't want his hair cut."


Hrothgar clutches his beard protectively, "You wouldn't dare?"


Male Human Cleric 4

"I never argue with Red. The morning is passing - we should go."


M Human Fighter 4
Modius Larci wrote:

"I'm rather lacking information on day to day living around here, having spent the last ten years following around some of the most vile sneakthieves the senate dares employ."

"Speaking of sneakery and assassination, perhaps we could all use a change of clothes and some haircuts."

"So, away we go, gentlemen?"

Paper grunts

"I'm in. I need some air anyway."


Male

Walking out onto the morning streets, there is a fresh and cool breeze from inland. This neighbourhood is busiest in the morning when the catch comes in, and there are slaves, housewives and others come to purchase fish from barrels and baskets on the ground. A series of cavelike rooms face the docks, where, for an obol, you can get the fish you buy in the market cooked for you. Children carry baskets of lemons and peppers around, calling out their wares in shrill blasts. A wooden stall has baked yams and another stall has dates, limes, oranges and large pecan nuts in the shell. It is a lively scene indeed. The clear skies have lasted, and it is a beautiful day.

This is an ideal place to eat your morning meal. It is easy to avoid notice here. Later, you will need to go to the cloth market for cloaks and clothing. The cloth market is very close to Hagia Sophia, which is under construction. That is where you are set to meet Rufinus in two hours time. It is about thirty minutes walk from where you are. While at the fish market, Paper may roll a perception check, DC 15. Modius may make a knowledge: local check, DC 12.

Hrothgar

Spoiler:
While at the market, you see that one of the fishermen is a Goth from your tribe, who may cause trouble if he sees you. Roll a simple stealth check, DC 12 to avoid notice in the shadows of the food house.

Isat.

Spoiler:
One of the other customers in the food house you are in is speaking in Persian. He has long dark hair, and fine clothes. He is in his fifties, and is probably a merchant or tradesman.


Modius doesn't have local knowledge. Only knowledge (nobility).


Male

Modius Larci.

Spoiler:
My bad. As a rogue, albeit more of a conman, I assume a degree of streetwise. What I actually wanted was a streetwise check, like in other games, and assigned K:Loc the job. I am just going to assume you made the check. Will use deception in future.

Some of the lads that were at the fire last night, looking for an opening to steal some of the stuff from the burning house, are here today, in a small pack, helping to load baskets of fish onto a wagon. What you have noticed, is that they are all well looked after. Their scars show medical care, their bodies are hardened and trained. all of them are armed. They are young, but they have a hard look to them. The wagon is Agrippa's and Germanicus the ox is drawing the load, but Agrippa himself is nowhere to be seen. One of the lads has handed a purse to the fishmonger for the wares. The fishmonger does not count the coin. He looks concerned or scared. There are no adults with them. just the four youths. Last night, you couldn't make out such details. All of them have belts, but there are no weapons other than short knives on the belts. One is missing his smallest finger on his left hand, and the tip of his ring finger. Another has chafing on his bare shoulders from hard armour.


Modius whispers this information to the others. They can look now, right?

I built Modius as a spy more than a thief. So he knows more about the aristocracy than he does about the streets.


Stealth (1d20+3=22)


Male Human Cleric 4

Isat indicates a prosperous looking man in his fifties with long dark hair.
"A fellow countryman of mine."

Discreetly keeping an eye on the youths Modius has pointed out.

"Who seems to be in charge, or do you think this is coincidence? Again."

DM

Spoiler:

Would I be surprised at seeing such a prosperous looking Persian in this area?


Male

Isat.

Spoiler:
Persians tend to keep together, but you are new to this city. You have no way of knowing if he is also new or not. He is alone, and is known by the shopkeeper who cooks the fish. He placed his order with a nod. He has seen you, but is too polite to look at such fearsome people.


M Human Fighter 4

Perception: 1d20+4=20

Paper stares hard at the young toughs loading the drover's wagon.

"By the bloody sword of Mars I'll see some of them to the River Styx." he mutters angrily


Male

When the youths are pointed out to Paper, he sees that one of them is wearing a cloak that must have been stolen from the house, as it is Paper's father's old cloak, made of leather and wolf fur trim from Tuscany.

Paper

Spoiler:
you also see that one of the Goth fishermen here is one of the Goths you fought in the battle of Andropolis. He killed two of your men, and ran into the forest in a surprise attack. It is now peacetime, and the man is a fisherman now.


M Human Fighter 4

Paper seethes as he sees his father's cloak on the shoulders of the young thief. The noticing of the Goth who killed his men further enrages him, his post-traumatic stress kicking in and his temper fraying beyond endurance

Folks, I am sorry, but to play Paper in proper fashion he can't allow this punk to get away with wearing his father's cloak. Also, he still suffers from PTSD, which makes it hard to scale down his reactions. Feel free to hang back if you want to remain unnoticed.

Paper strides towards the four youths and the wagon angrily, not checking to see if anyone is following. His dark eyes have gone flat and hard. He lays a hand on his sword, jerking it convulsively from its' scabbard and pointing it to the cloak-wearing tough.

"You. Filth-sucker. You dare to drape a cloak you stole from my house around your goat-f%$king shoulders? Draw steel and face me, you illegitimate son of a Goth and an abcessed sow! Or are you a priest of Cybele?"

Ok I'm in trouble, but it is what it is.


Hrothgar, a firm believer of justice, stands in the background, watching for anyone who might interfere.


Male

As you strode toward the youths, only one of them noticed you, but the crowd sensed trouble, and parted to let you through. When you drew your sword, The mood shifted. People got out of the way and a circle formed. The wagon is now in the circle of onlookers. The boys were a little late noticing, but they all reacted when you were ten feet away, drawing their short blades.

Now:
They move slowly, two trying to edge to your flanks, The one wearing the cloak moving away from the wagon to give himself room, and one in the wagon waiting for you to close. The cloak wearer looks like the oldest of them. He is about nineteen or twenty. His fingers are missing on his left hand. The one in the wagon is bigger than the others. He is bare chested, and has abrasions from armour training on his shoulders. The cloaked one speaks:

"I bought this cloak two months ago, sir. You are mistaken. This cloak is mine."


Male

Initiative for Paper.


M Human Fighter 4
Taliesin Hoyle wrote:

As you strode toward the youths, only one of them noticed you, but the crowd sensed trouble, and parted to let you through. When you draw your sword, The mood shifts. People get out of the way and a circle has formed. The wagon is now in the circle of onlookers. The boys were a little late noticing, but they all react now that you are ten feet away, drawing their short blades. They move slowly, two trying to edge to your flanks, The one wearing the cloak moving away from the wagon to give himself room, and one in the wagon waiting for you to close. The cloak wearer looks like the oldest of them. He is about nineteen or twenty. His fingers are missing on his left hand. The one in the wagon is bigger than the others. He is bare chested, and has abrasions from armour training on his shoulders. The cloaked one speaks:

"I bought this cloak two months ago, sir. You are mistaken. This cloak is mine."

Paper's anger swells

"You dare call me a liar boy? One more lie out of your c&*k-sucking mouth and I will gut you like a fish."

Paper looks at the youth's friends.

"You want to back off my fine fancy boys. I care not who goes to the Styx today. Beware, for the cords of your fates lay half sawn in Atropos' slender hands."

Paper grins an evil death's head grin.


M Human Fighter 4

Paper's initiative: 1d20+2=18

BTW, am I at full HP now?


DO NOT STICK FINGERS IN CAGE

WTF? I just saw your reply Tal with the initiatives, then it disappeared. It's not on your recent posts either. GRR


Male

The redhaired youth with the cloak is fastest. He steps toward you, thrusting his four inch knife in front of him.1d20+2=22
His tiny blade punches into Paper's chest, and out again, as he starts to bob and weave, trying to draw the eye, and allow his cohort to find openings. something went horribly wrong with this post, and some rolls were lost. Three points of damage.

The burly lad in the wagon is next, and throws his knife at Paper, to make him dodge toward one of the flankers.
1d20+1=18
The blade does not go anywhere near it's target, as it is not balanced for throwing.

The two flankers, the youngest of them all, are not as quick as Paper. they are white with fear, and full of adrenaline.
1d20=16


M Human Fighter 4
Taliesin Hoyle wrote:

The redhaired youth with the cloak is fastest. He steps toward you, thrusting his four inch knife in front of him.1d20+2=22

His tiny blade punches into Paper's chest, and out again, as he starts to bob and weave, trying to draw the eye, and allow his cohort to find openings. something went horribly wrong with this post, and some rolls were lost. Three points of damage.

The burly lad in the wagon is next, and throws his knife at Paper, to make him dodge toward one of the flankers.
1d20+1=18
The blade does not go anywhere near it's target, as it is not balanced for throwing.

The two flankers, the youngest of them all, are not as quick as Paper. they are white with fear, and full of adrenaline.
1d20=16

OK got it

Paper grins as the red-haired youth attacks him.

"So be it. May Cerebus whizz on your head as you pass him enroute to Pluto's Realm."


Male

There are no authority figures here that could stop the fight or interfere. Most of the people here are watching, and others are getting out of the way. Because of the way the crowd has closed in, the others cannot see you now. The only combatant they could see is the one on the wagon.

I need to know if any of the others are getting involved. If so, I assume they followed Paper out of the restaurant, and will be able to act next round. Any who followed him outside, are only ten feet behind him, and will draw the attention of the flanking duo.

Paper is next. He is now at full HP -3.


M Human Fighter 4

Paper slashes at the red-haired thief.

Attack 1d20+5=19

Should I hit
Damage 1d6+2=7


A little stunned by the quick escalation, Modius will cover Paper's flank and join the fray in the second round.

INIT 1d20 3=5


Male

Paper matches thrust for thrust, and puts his gladius through the bastard's lying mouth. the energy of the crowd changes, and they are now excited. the dead youth flops back against the wagon, blood gurgling in his opened throat. The two youths behind paper dart in.

1d20+1=9, 1d3=3, 1d6=6, 1d20+1=17, 1d3=2, 1d6=3

One stops at the last moment, to avoid getting in the other's way, negating his attack. The other has been trained where to hit, and his blade cuts hard and deep into the soft flank under the ribs. Five points of damage.

The larger youth on the wagon shouts:

"Run away. We can't take them. They killed Ammar and Paredo last night."


Male

Round two. Initiative for Modius, please. Paper goes on 18, simultaneous with the boy on the wagon. The two footpads will go on 16.


Male Human Cleric 4

Knowing he is useless in this combat, Isat concentrates on memorising details of the attackers, their position and likely moves so he can warn Paper and Modius of any surprises.

Wise Lord and goddess preserve us. Paper is as bad as Modius and Red. Nice work though. Glad he's on our side.


Male

Isat will only be able to see the fight if he has left the cave-like restaurant and joined the circle of onlookers. I am going to assume you have done so. Isat hears one of the people in the crowd say
"They are Javenus' boys. Who is the Roman?"


M Human Fighter 4

OK I didn't leave just yet

Paper grins maniacally as the red-haired thief falls. His eyes fix on the young tough who just sliced him, waiting on his move.

Next round's attack and hit should it be needed:

Attack: 1d20+5=14, Damage: 1d6+2=8


Male

I need a perception check from Hrothgar. DC 14


Male

As the stronger youth from the back of the wagon jumps over the far side and bolts into the crowd, Paper swings high at the closest, and youngest, of the boys. He cuts him wide open on the side of the head, painting Paper red, and killing the boy instantly. Arterial spray has also made the crowd shriek and withdraw, but draws bellows of approval from the fishermen and some of the bloodthirsty shoppers. Paper needs to make a reflex save, DC 12, or get blood in his eyes.


M Human Fighter 4

Reflex save: 1d20+2=10

Ehh rather bolo this roll than an attack I guess.

The youth's blood sprays into Paper's eyes, blinding him momentarily.


Male

The other young boy has pissed himself, but he stands his ground, with the small dagger held in front of him in both hands. He prays quickly in Koine:
"Mars. Give me one good strike before I die."

Waiting for Modius and Hrothgar. Pause until we know what everyone is doing.


M Human Fighter 4

I guess this a good place to break ... I really got to go.

Here is a little dialogue for the next piece if needed:

Paper hears the youth's prayer to Mars. Coming out of his battle haze, he stares hard him, blood dripping from his expressionless face and dead eyes.

"Mars has had enough sacrifices today. Run if you wish to remain on this side of the Styx. Stay and you will join the others on their journey."

Paper stands ready, wiping the blood from his eyes and staring down the youth.

Intimidate: 1d20+4=9

Thought I'd toss that in. Don't know if slicing his two friends into sushi gets me a bonus, LOL


I don't know who has stayed and who has fled, are there still people left alive engaged in melee? If so:

Modius move to engage and flank if possible and thrusts with his gladius:

Attack: 1d20 5=23, Damage: 1d6=2

If he can manage a flank he seeks a weakness in his opponent's defense:

Sneak attack: 1d6=6


Male

Modius has intercepted the running, shirtless boy, and cut him down from concealment in the crowd. A quick jab in the kidneys, and the boy is down. In the press of the crowd, almost no-one saw who killed him.


Male

The last boy drops his blade, and lifts his hands. "Please, Dominus, I don't want to die. Please don't kill me. I don't want to die." He has seen what happened to all three of his companions, and thinks escape impossible.

Some of the crowd shout: "kill him." and a fishwife shrieks: "He is only a boy!"

Germanicus the ox is a little spooked by the carnage. Many of the onlookers are going back to what they were doing before. The owner of the restaurant you were in comes to Isat and says: "masters, The fish you chose is ready and will get cold. If sirs could clean themselves before they eat?" He has a large wet, woolen cloth for Paper.


Male

The large Goth fisherman has seen Paper. Now that Paper's face is covered in blood, his memory stirs. He grins at Paper and says: "Good killing, legionairre. I remember you. You are a good killer!" He seems happy to have recognised Paper. There is no enmity there.


Male

The boy is looking directly at Paper's face, looking for his fate there.

The unwritten law of the street has taken over. People are going about their business as if nothing had happened. Even the arbiter of weights and measures, an official, is acting blithely unconcerned by the bloodshed of a moment ago. No one has time or inclination to get involved.

401 to 450 of 2,029 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Evening of an empire, the eagle in autumnn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.