Evening of an empire, the eagle in autumnn


Play-by-Post

251 to 300 of 2,029 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Seeing the Nubian's schedule full., Hrothgar decides to head to the kitchen door and do what he can.

Will be a slow in posting today.


Modius Larci wrote:
Modius jabs weekly back at the Nubian.

He should be finished by next month.


Male
Modius Larci wrote:

Modius jabs weekly back at the Nubian.

Attack, Damage: (1d20 1=12, 1d6=2)

Because Zalmoxis is literally flat footing the killer, Modius gets to be picky about where exactly he sticks his weapon.

Roll sneak attack damage, and tell me where you are cutting.


Sneak Attack (1d6=2)

Modius thrusts at the nubian's neck.


Male

Paper thrusts his gladius toward the taut gut of the outnumbered and wounded intruder.

1d20+4=16, 1d6+2=4

The man is certainly tenacious. He gives a low slash to Paper's forearm, but his body betrays him. He looks disappointed to be dying alone. He slops forward onto his knees and keels sideways. The room is a scene of carnage. He thrusts his leg out in a half-hearted kick at Zalmoxis and goes still.

Zalmoxis' hand has become a deathgrip, as he too has gone.


Male

Paper thrusts his gladius toward the taut gut of the outnumbered and wounded intruder.

1d20+4=16, 1d6+2=4

The man is certainly tenacious. He gives a low slash to Paper's forearm, but his body betrays him. He looks disappointed to be dying alone. He slops forward onto his knees and keels sideways. The room is a scene of carnage. He thrusts his leg out in a half-hearted kick at Zalmoxis and goes still.

Zalmoxis' hand has become a deathgrip, as he too has gone.


"Paper, does this residence have any exits that are known only to the family?"


Male

As Hrothgar gets to the kitchen, he sees the door is still intact, but the bar is splintered. The door is made of thick slabs of Figtree wood, morticed together. The bar is made of pine,and has dried in the heat of the kitchen. Hrothgar could hold the door, or wait, or open the bar to unbalance the men outside when the door gives way. It sounds like two or three men are at this entrance.

Elsewhere in the house, the screams next door have stopped. The armenian clan from the adjoining tenement have run. The hole in the wall is now three feet accross and two deep and tall. All of you could fit through if you wished.

The togas are laughable in good light but might work in dark or distance.

A voice comes through the front door, where a hole has been punched by the men there. The voice is dry and rasps slightly, with an Egyptian or Morrocan accent to the greek.

"You have my uncle. You stole him from the street. Give him back to his kin so we may look after him. He is mad and does not know himself.
We will not stop before he is in our care, and we will not pay ransom!"

Modius has heard this voice before.
Levi apparently has too, judging by the look of dread on his face.


Male

I am going to give everyone a bit of time to catch up. We seem to be doing well, but I am not comfortable playing PCs much. There is going to be a bit of a respite in the assault, as Rafi tries to get you all to open up.

Paper.

Spoiler:
Your family made sure that the house was defensible, and made hard doors. This is the provinces,after all. There are no other doors however. Rufinus seems to have remedied that somewhat.


Taliesin Hoyle wrote:
The hole in the wall is now three feet accross and two deep and tall. All of you could fit through if you wished.

Seeing this: "Oh, well that answers my question."


Male

Isat:

Spoiler:
There is plenty of twine, but it is too thick for stitches. It needs to be teased apart, boiled to soften and waxed to reduce friction and keep it subtle. You can use untreated twine for stitches. You can also use hair, and as a last resort, could use some of your very expensive copper wire for microstitches. You are also going to have to borrow a pair of pliers from Rufinus to get that dagger blade out of Paper's cheekbone.


Male

Hrothgar. Whatever you decide to do, I need you to make a perception check.


Perception (1d20+3=10)

Hrothgar next to the door. The moment the door gives Hrothgar immediately attacks the first intruder.


Male

The attack on both doors seems to have ceased while Rafi waits for a reply.

There is time now for Paper and Modius to go elsewhere in the house.

None of you have co-ordinated anything so far.

Isat and Levi are disguised in linen toga. Levi is standing.

Rufinus is doing his best to conceal the plaster and brick wreckage that blew back into the room. He seems ashamed of what happened, and is hunched down into himself again.

I need directions from all of you as to what you are planning and doing.

Hrothgar is in the kitchen alone.

The main door is unguarded.

You will have as long as someone can get through negotiating with Rafi through the front door. There is a hole in the door, but no-one is dumb enough to stick their eye on the hole to see what you are up to.


Male

Hrothgar

Spoiler:
You are attacked by a hidden assailant with a dagger. The attack happens from behind you. The skinny youth of about sixteen that was across the street watching the house has got inside somehow, and come out of the room you passed on your way to the door.

1d20+2=13, 1d6=2, 1d4=3

The blade avoids your armour. The little urchin has cut your side under your right arm with a quick stinging strike. 5 damage.

The attacker is shocked that you are still standing. Your turn.

The attack was quiet, which is why this is in a spoiler, but you are not under any obligation to keep things subtle. Paper and Modius cannot see you where you are.


Male Human Cleric 4

Possibly the moment to coordinate actions? I make it Modius, Paper and Hrothgar duffed up by Nubians and dodgy teenagers, Isat and Levi wrapped in bedclothes, Rufinus in lurk mode embarrassed at beating a hole in the wall and mad Rafi plus his cherry picked team of ruthless killers outside the kitchen door.

Is that accurate?

As a suggestion, if Rufinus can get Levi clear, then Isat can cast a ghost sound imitating the City Watch or a or some such thing that might persuade Rafi and the gang to leg it for a while. He'll need to be within 25 feet of wherever the sound is going to come from to do that and he'd like to be alone (the man is Greta Garbo). It might buy us a bit of time, which it sounds like we need.


Male

Map of Paper's Villa in Constaninople.


Male

I looked at some other PBPs and found this wonderful resource.

Hrothgar is in the kitchen on the other side of the house. His attacker came out of the store to the South.

Isat and co. are in the room marked 4.

The big double doors to the South are where the voice is coming from.

Paper and Modius are bleeding and in room 1.

For a sense of scale, the slave alley is about five feet wide. Double doors are eight feet. The attackers locations are unknown now that they are not bashing doors.

The one who is attacking Hrothgar must have come through the roof....


M Human Fighter 4

Paper breathes heavily as he emerges from the fugue of combat. He explores his wounds, wincing, and addresses Modius.

"You have my thanks for standing by me. A Cornelius Papyrii always remembers a debt. "

Paper glances to the kitchen.

"It seems we are needed elsewhere."

Paper prepares to go aid Hrothgar.

I am assuming at this point that going to aid Hrothgar looks like the right thing to do. If Isat and Rufinus can get Levi away perhaps we three can hold off the assasins until Isat can scare them away with his hocus pocus.


Init (1d20+7=20)

Hrothgar unloads his fury on his attacker, "In the name of Tyr, feel my justice!" His roar echoing throughout the house.

Full Attack (1d20+3=18, 1d8+4=8, 1d20+2=3, 1d4+1=5)

Taliesin Hoyle

Spoiler:
Hoyle, I noticed that the attack roll is 13, my flatfooted AC is 14.


Male

Post 269. with the weirdness of missing posts, I am going to ask all of you to do as I did here, and number your post. If a post is missing, we may be able to see the gap.

Hrothgar is under attack, which means someone got into the house. Helping him should include locating the breach so you are not surrounded. Only Hrothgar knows about his plight, unless he calls out.

We need to wait for Radavel.

About ghost sound. It is a good spell for distraction. Imitating town guard means imitating a squad of legionairres with decurion. The range is an issue though, as is the problem of needing line of sight on the source.

It is possible that the enemy does not know the layout of the house, but Zal certainly knew the Nubian. Paper has no way of knowing how much they know about the ground.

Loose ends:

Modius has not told anyone how many enemies there are or what their armament is.

Hrothgar is in combat. Is it quiet?

Paper does not know how Zal knew the dark fighter.

Isat has not told anyone anything at all.


Taliesin Hoyle wrote:

Post 269. with the weirdness of missing posts, I am going to ask all of you to do as I did here, and number your post. If a post is missing, we may be able to see the gap.

Hrothgar is under attack, which means someone got into the house. Helping him should include locating the breach so you are not surrounded. Only Hrothgar knows about his plight, unless he calls out.

We need to wait for Radavel.

About ghost sound. It is a good spell for distraction. Imitating town guard means imitating a squad of legionairres with decurion. The range is an issue though, as is the problem of needing line of sight on the source.

It is possible that the enemy does not know the layout of the house, but Zal certainly knew the Nubian. Paper has no way of knowing how much they know about the ground.

Loose ends:

Modius has not told anyone how many enemies there are or what their armament is.

Hrothgar is in combat. Is it quiet?

Paper does not know how Zal knew the dark fighter.

Isat has not told anyone anything at all.

Post 272. Hrothgar is screaming bloody murder and is doing full attack against his attacker. Please see post 270


Male

273Hrothgar cuts the thief in two with the first swing of his axe.

I gave the thief +2 for attacking from behind while you were not aware of him.

Spoiler:
The door to the store is open. It has been oiled.

A rope has been lowered. Two men in banded mail lorica and trousers are lowering a third on the rope. They are on either side of a hole made in the tiles of the roof by stealth. The thatch from the underside of the roof has been pulled out, and is strewn across the floor among the baskets and barrels of the store. There is a blanket on the floor to muffle their sound. The man on the rope is heavy set and scarred. All of the men look like the product of African and Greek stock. They are probably Morrocan or Egyptian. the two lowering him are not as large, but all of them look like they live with their blades. They have seen Hrothgar take out their scout,and are hastening their actions.

The man at the front door calls out: "Answer me you whoreson kidnappers." He hits the door in a display of mock rage, but is obviously buying time.


274

Gnaeus Cornelius Papyrus wrote:
"You have my thanks for standing by me. A Cornelius Papyrii always remembers a debt."

"No problem, brother."

Looks down at his wound.

"I'm dying but I feel great, you know?"

Looks back at Paper.

"... you have a knife in your face."

<Modius will move back toward the mother's room as soon as possible to make sure Isat heard his warning.>


Male

Edit OOPS.

Paper is at Hrothgar's side and may read Hrothgar's spoilers.

Modius is now back with Isat.


"Ha! And I took your mothers before your fathers knew them!"

"The enemy is inside the house! Bar your doors!"

EDIT: "Friend Paper, I couple of your Roman types outside. Ready to deliver some justice."


Taliesin Hoyle wrote:
Hrothgar cuts the thief in two with the first swing of his axe.
Hrothgar the Red wrote:
"Ha! And I took your mothers before your fathers knew them!"

This guy rules. Modius chooses his friends well.


Male

Initiative order is as follows, because of the unique circumstances. The attackers must still enter the room, so Hrothgar and Paper can both intercept them, gaining the drop on them and catching them flat footed.

Hrothgar first.

Paper second.

Burly killer third.

Men from roof last.


Male

If Hrothgar runs, Paper will probably be advised to run too.


With Paper beside him, Hrothgar thinks that the odds are just right and will move to engage the attackers once they get through the door.


M Human Fighter 4

Paper looks up at the descending intruders. His face flushes with rage , the slash on his cheek standing our white. A trickle of crimson sluggishly trickles down from the wound.

"You have desecrated my family's home with your goat-fu&king presence, you sons of poxy street walkers! Come! Come to your death! Mars will welcome your blood on his altar today!"

Rolling an Intimdate check: 1d20+3=14 for whatever it's worth.

Paper prepares for the conflict, brandishing his sword and attempting to find the best place to meet the new intruders.

Tal I am leaving you with 5 rolls. You can use them to resolve anything Paper has to do while I am away from the computer. :)

1d20=14, 1d20=7, 1d20=8, 1d20=4, 1d20=12

Edit: Post 281 (oops)

Edit part deux: I will follow Hrothgar's lead (sorry for mixup Tal, lot of posts all came in at once)


Male

I urge you to go back and read the spoiler. The attackers are coming through the roof of the storeroom. Check the map. The thief cleared a way for them. You could see through the door.


Male

Hrothgar may make a full attack on the unlucky thug on the rope. I understand you intend to wait at the door, though, which changes things up a bit. The initiative order above assumes an immediate response to the tableaux of the men climbing in. If they have a chance to get through the breach, we will need to determine initiative randomly.

What do you intend?


Hrothgar and Paper will run back to Isat and the others.


Male

The two wounded warriors tear off through the house to the room where the persian surgeon and freed slave, Jewish enigma and Spanish rogue are clustered around an irregular hole.


"Um...did we miss anything?"


Male

The attackers shout to each other in their language. The voice at the front door has stopped, and the men who climbed in through the roof open the kitchen door for their allies. It sounds like the attackers are trading stealth for speed, and are moving into the house in force.

Did you both go into the room, or are you in the large living room outside?


I think Paper followed Hrothgar into the room.


Hrothgar bars the door to the room.


Male

The whole party is in the same room then. I need to know if you are going to start shoving yourselves through the hole in the wall or are you going to make a stand at the doorway to this room. Fighting in a doorway will make it possible for two of you to attack at a time.

Modius has still not told anyone what he saw outside and there is no time now. You have nine seconds before the men at arms get to this room and fifteen before Rafi does.


"I'm through running... let's make our stand here."


"I've seen these killers before, they killed every man in the house."

"We'll kill them, Hrothgar, but on our terms, brother. Through the hole, everyone, and don't ask me why."


M Human Fighter 4

Paper looks at Modius

"Your word is fine by me friend. Let's go."


Male Human Cleric 4

Post 294 (I think)

Isat swiftly takes in the state of his comrades and raises an eyebrow at the sight of Modius's oozing wound and Paper's new facial adornment.

"Out, now. Levi here can walk. Bit of a skirmish from the looks of it Modius."

He helps the now upright Levi through the hole and follows himself.

Is Rufinus already through the hole? If he isn't, Isat will crawl through first and help Levi from the other side.


Male

You squeeze yourselves throught the hole. Rufinus is the last to go through. Modius has spilled a bit of blood on the wall. All of you are lightly dusted with plaster and cement dust. Chunks of yellow brick and straw lie everywhere in what was a comfortable room that held a family of labourers. A small wicker crib hangs empty from the ceiling. there is a carpet of woven reeds and many small cushions stuffed with sand. One of the cushions has torn, adding to the mess you have made. There is a staiway in this room to the north. A firepit with skewers and goat grease is in the opposite corner, by the door. These tenements have communal lavatories that are little better than holes down to the sewers. The lavatory is next door, so to ward off the bad odours, there is a curtain of lavender woven in front of the door.
The staircase leads up to the second floor, but the family has taken refuge there. The father is at the top of the stairs holding a scimitar and has a small buckler on his arm. His wife or daughter, dark eyed behind him, has his spear pointed at the stairs.

The man relaxes a bit. "Gnaeus Cornelius Papyrus! Be welcome in our house. We thought you were being burgled. I sent my son to get help from Farek the fuller and Tarquin the moneylender."

He cannot see much through the dust.

Paper only knows this man through occasional contact on the street.

Rufinus steps back into the room you just left and hoists his hammer again.

"The enemy are in the main room." He whispers. "I will hold the door to buy you time."

The stairs are not an exit, merely being a second storey on this room.

The door leads to a corridor and the main door to this jumbled warren of small apartments is just to the left of this apartment.
Not all of the places here are double storey. There are three ways out. The best one, to Modius's larcenous appraisal, would be the one that opens onto the Via Concordat on the other side of this building. Because of a slope in the road, the exit is on the second floor. A stone ladder leads from the corridor outside to the corridoor above.

The corridor is occupied by people who pay by the week to live in lean tos in the long dark room. The building has security, in the form of an old dock hand with a cudgel, but he is nowhere to be seen. A few oil lamps hang annoyingly low, but are unlit. Dust and thin sunlight filter through ventilation holes in the building front.


Male Human Cleric 4

"Rufinus, don't be a fool." Isat calls urgently to the retreating barbarian. "I can't heal this clutch of maniacs by myself."


"There are too many to fight Rufinus, blather for a minute about masonry and we'll be fine... and we'll meet at the Cinnabar Wine House later. Watch yourself for tails."

Modius leads them out on Via Concordat.


Male

From the family room in Paper's house Rafi's voice starts to call out taunts.

"I am breaking the faces of your ancestors, you coward. I am going to burn this house down. When I get my hands on you, I will pop out your eyes and piss in the sockets, you mangy Roman whoreson."

"We will find you and f~~! you up so badly that Hades won't be able to see who you are. You and your catamite friends."


Taliesin Hoyle wrote:

From the family room in Paper's house Rafi's voice starts to call out taunts.

"I am breaking the faces of your ancestors, you coward. I am going to burn this house down. When I get my hands on you, I will pop out your eyes and piss in the sockets, you mangy Roman whoreson."

"We will find you and f**~ you up so badly that Hades won't be able to see who you are. You and your catamite friends."

The post indicating Hrothgar went through the hole is missing. Anyways, he's with the others.


Male Human Cleric 4

As they leave, Isat bows gracefully to the house owners.

"Our thanks to you and our apolgies for the destruction. We will find a way to make amends."

He glances back at the hole from which Rafi's taunts emerge loud and clear.

"Although for your own safety you might be advised to go yourselves."

"Modius, I deplore your taste in enemies. Very poor insults."

251 to 300 of 2,029 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Evening of an empire, the eagle in autumnn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.