What, no "Round 6 Rules Discussion -- Your Input Needed"?


RPG Superstar™ 2008 General Discussion

Dark Archive Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4

Look, I don't want to sound like a big jerk or nothing - the Superstar Judges work harder than anyone I know - but I'm probably not the only guy who feels that the only thing that keeps me sane (or "sane", maybe) for the twenty-four LONG hours between Fan Voting Ends and Winners Announced, other than trying to watch a whole season of 24, is throwing out ideas on how the NEXT round should be formatted.

So: are us Paizo voters desperately needed to help slice open some Gordian Knot of technicality for this next Round's rules?

PLEASE?

Scarab Sages

Rule #1
The next round's entries must be submitted in crayon.
Color to be picked by a random judge for each contestant.
Periwinkle is not an option due to that misunderstanding Clark had with that artist last year at GenCon. (No, you needn't worry about details. the court documents have been sealed.)

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

thatboomerkid wrote:

Look, I don't want to sound like a big jerk or nothing - the Superstar Judges work harder than anyone I know - but I'm probably not the only guy who feels that the only thing that keeps me sane (or "sane", maybe) for the twenty-four LONG hours between Fan Voting Ends and Winners Announced, other than trying to watch a whole season of 24, is throwing out ideas on how the NEXT round should be formatted.

So: are us Paizo voters desperately needed to help slice open some Gordian Knot of technicality for this next Round's rules?

PLEASE?

Amen and amen, brother. I was thinking much the same thing.

Liberty's Edge

Rule #2
Word limit for Round 6 is 3 words.
EVERYTHING is included in the word limit.
Yes, that includes stat blocks.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 16 aka Sir_Wulf

Rule #3
Contestants may use any SRD monsters whose names include the letter "Q".


Rule #4

Challenge rating must equal X, where X is determined by this equation: sin(X)=3^X

Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Clouds Without Water

Your adventure proposal must answer the question "Do Defenders of the Blink Dog Nation Wear People-Tags?"

Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Clouds Without Water

Actually, I'd like to see the entirety of the rules be "Submit an adventure proposal."

Sink or swim on their own.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 6 aka Core

Rule #6

All adventure proposals must include Alkulukuja Paskova Karhu as the primary plot device.


Rule #7

Submissions should be in Flash. Minimal requirements include writing superior to that of the 4E ads.

Spoiler:

(man, i was never a gnome player, but did that abomination ever make me want to play one for spite)

Liberty's Edge

Rule #8

All submissions must include a minimum of 2 maps and three pieces of artwork. All maps and artwork must be rendered by professional cartographers / artists.

Dark Archive Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4

Rule #9 One contestant per Adventure Proposal, people.

Rule #10 Adventure Proposals go on as long as they have to.

Rule #11 If someone goes limp, taps out, or yells "Stop!", the Adventure Proposal is OVER.

and the twelfth and final rule?

If this is your first time in Superstar, you HAVE to submit an Adventure Proposal.

Paizo Employee CEO

It's probably because we are asking for an adventure outline and that is something that we use all the time with our regular freelancers. So since we aren't inventing anything new, there is no need to ask for input. The final four are basically going to be asked to do what any of our freelancers are, using the same set of rules. So I guess you are going to have to wait like everybody else Boomer. :)

-Lisa

Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Clouds Without Water

Rule # 13. All adventure proposals must include the Mind Flayer, as described in the SRD.

Owner - House of Books and Games LLC , Marathon Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 7

Rule #14

All submissions must be submitted, typed with carbon copy, in a format compatible with Judges Guild adventures, including cover artwork. All maps must be drawn with ball point pen on quad rule graph paper.

The title must sound like a bad B movie, and proper punctuation and grammar will be appropriately penalized.

Dark Archive

Rule # 15

You do not talk about RPG Superstar. All submissions are to remain in your head, and you cannot communicate them in any fashion to anyone else. The judges will call you and tell you if you won.

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

Evil Genius wrote:
Challenge rating must equal X, where X is determined by this equation: sin(X)=3^X

By the way, there are an infinite number of solutions to this, all less than zero. The greatest is about x = -3.17225, where sin(x) and 3^x are both about 0.03065

What is this "life" thing of which you speak?

The Exchange

Lisa Stevens wrote:

It's probably because we are asking for an adventure outline and that is something that we use all the time with our regular freelancers. So since we aren't inventing anything new, there is no need to ask for input. The final four are basically going to be asked to do what any of our freelancers are, using the same set of rules. So I guess you are going to have to wait like everybody else Boomer. :)

-Lisa

Rule 16

"This will be an investigative mystery scenario based on which of the Final Four can find out the set of rules from one of the freelancers. You may use as may words as you wish to achieve this. (adventure suitable for Party level 15-20)"

Cheers

Scarab Sages

Rule 17:the adventure must include at least one hot female in cheesecake armor, with appropriate artwork.

Scarab Sages

allen trussell wrote:
cheesecake armor

What's the AC for that?

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 16 aka Sir_Wulf

fray wrote:
allen trussell wrote:
cheesecake armor
What's the AC for that?

AC bonus +0, but it gives a +2 circumstance bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, Profession (Courtesan), Profession (Sorcerous Hottie), and Perform (Distract).

It's five masterwork tools rolled into one!

Legendary Games, Necromancer Games

The real reason is because I'm not the one doing the rules for this round. :)

As Lisa said, they are going to use normal submission guidelines. I have written the rules for the rounds since round 1 and I like asking for input. It helps me address all the issues that you, the contestants, may have. But I'm not doing the rules for this round so there was no need for me to start a thread about input for the rules. :)

But I will say this: make sure your submissions are what a professional freelancer would submit. Erik and I were discussing things last night and I used an example that I think he might incorporate. I told him to tell the contestants that "we want to hear the song, not just the guitar solo," if you see what I am saying.

Clark

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2013 , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Steven T. Helt

allen trussell wrote:

Rule 17:the adventure must include at least one hot female in cheesecake armor, with appropriate artwork.

I think I might prefer swiss cheese armor, to carry the analogy.

Rule 18: Entry must contain a picture of you. And your sister. And an essay describing why you should be chosen to give Regdar a huge SUV and a burrito.

Paizo Employee Chief Creative Officer, Publisher

Clark Peterson wrote:


Erik and I were discussing things last night and I used an example that I think he might incorporate. I told him to tell the contestants that "we want to hear the song, not just the guitar solo," if you see what I am saying.

I forgot to include that analogy, but it definitely stands.

Kick some ass, folks.

--Erik

Grand Lodge Star Voter Season 8

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

Hey Mortika!

Quit screwing around and get back to work on those ACT questions!

There's still a couple colleges left that actually look at ACT scores. Maybe even X=3^X many.

-W. E. Ray

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

Erik Mona wrote:
Clark Peterson wrote:


Erik and I were discussing things last night and I used an example that I think he might incorporate. I told him to tell the contestants that "we want to hear the song, not just the guitar solo," if you see what I am saying.

I forgot to include that analogy, but it definitely stands.

Kick some ass, folks.

--Erik

My ass-kicking shoes are polished and ready, sir, but having read the round 6 rules, I must ask ye to answer me these questions three (I just showed Monty Python and the Holy Grail to my kids last night for the first time):

1. We can use Paizo-owned proper names, but no other Paizo-owned IP (monsters, treasures, spells, characters, etc.), correct?

2. Any other rules-related content appearing in the proposal should be d20SRD.org-compliant, correct? (this probably goes without saying, but I'll ask it anyway)

3. I suppose this follows from #1, since all RPGSS entries are now owned by Paizo, but in creating our proposal can (or should) we use or even refer to anything submitted from any prior round of this contest, whether created by us or by someone else?

Thanks in advance.

Legendary Games, Necromancer Games

Pretend you are freelancers.

Look at it this way: If Paizo cant publish it, how can you refer to it?

The top 4 should be able to answer these questions without our help.

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

Clark Peterson wrote:

Pretend you are freelancers.

Look at it this way: If Paizo cant publish it, how can you refer to it?

The top 4 should be able to answer these questions without our help.

Sure, the middle one was obvious. The first and last - Paizo owns the IP for all submissions so they COULD publish it, but would they want to? Plus, there are certain ways in which this contest has its own subtext beyond pure freelancery and how it refers to itself or its contents or doesn't.

Either way, I'm good to go. Just thought I'd throw out the questions. Off we go, into the wild blue yonder...

P.S. Yes, this is what it's like for the DM when I'm a player. Always asking questions, questions, questions, pushing the limits of the rules, trying to find the little nuances that make life worth living... :)

Community / Forums / Archive / Paizo / RPG Superstar™ / Previous Contests / RPG Superstar™ 2008 / General Discussion / What, no "Round 6 Rules Discussion -- Your Input Needed"? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion
Losing items