My first non-Paizo written Golarion campaign (w / zero level rules)


Lost Omens Campaign Setting General Discussion


Tomorrow I will be running my first non-paizo written Golarion campaign, meaning the story and such will be of my own designing. Anyway in the past I have ran zero level campaigns and I will be doing the same with this one. I offer to you the rules I jotted down this time around, prior times I free-formed most of it. Anyway here it is. Pick it apart as much as you want, just let me know what you think.

Dark Archive Contributor

Jub-Jub wrote:
Tomorrow I will be running my first non-paizo written Golarion campaign, meaning the story and such will be of my own designing. Anyway in the past I have ran zero level campaigns and I will be doing the same with this one. I offer to you the rules I jotted down this time around, prior times I free-formed most of it. Anyway here it is. Pick it apart as much as you want, just let me know what you think.

That's an interesting system. I've thought of doing something like that in past, but I think you did a better job of developing the idea than I ever could. :)

Since you've run these campaigns before, how long does it take to hit 1st level? I assume the first session is everyone trying to get a class?

The Exchange

You spelled "rogue" wrong....
Looks interesting but you kinda stereotyped rogues into being thieves. Sometimes they are just acrobats with wild tumbling and jumping abilities and no real ability to sneak, or the ability to find and remove traps but no appreciable social skill. The other classes seem to suffer from shoe-horned stereotyping also and some of the tests seem to run counter-intuitive of certain alignments like the Barfight test... I don't really picture a "good" PC wanting to go into a bar and beat-up 5 poor peasants.
Just some impressions I had.

FH

Sovereign Court

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Awesome! I'm using a modified version of the "start off with an NPC class" version presented by Goodman Games here on my STAP PbP here and here.

I think you're first-level class entry idea is pretty cool but I'm going with an xp-based approach.

Post your experiences in Golarion!


I like the prerequisites idea. I would probably be a little more flexible with them, but I like the core concept that to become a cleric you must demonstrate the power and conviction of your faith, profess it openly and attempt to perform the actions of you dogma (feed the hungry, heal the sick, lay undead to rest--or whatever your particular god believes in).

I thought it was particularly fun how there's tests for different hero types--like the "save the noble" test. Usually I hate stuff that seems video gamey, but those rules were just really fun. I don't know if I'd use them for my regular game, but I'd certainly get a kick out of it once in a while.

I guess my big advice would be to let things unfold organically. Keep the standard there--but one barfight does not the barbarian make. Then again, I wonder what the cultural component of classes is in your games? Does your character have to have certain backstory to explain being a barbarian for instance--or are they just primarily guys who get into barfights a lot. That's an interesting question. Frankly I could do with the base classes having less cultural baggage--that's more something that works better for me with prestige classes.


Mike McArtor wrote:


Since you've run these campaigns before, how long does it take to hit 1st level? I assume the first session is everyone trying to get a class?

Typically by the end of the first session they have made it to their respective classes. Usually the zero-level part of the campaigns are more like a prelude to becoming a hero, this could equate to a back story for many that do not like to put them to paper. So your assumption would be correct.

Grimcleaver wrote:
I like the prerequisites idea. I would probably be a little more flexible with them, but I like the core concept that to become a cleric you must demonstrate the power and conviction of your faith, profess it openly and attempt to perform the actions of you dogma (feed the hungry, heal the sick, lay undead to rest--or whatever your particular god believes in).

Do you have any suggestions to make them more "generalized" yet also balanced? Perhaps each god should have a specialized tests?

Grimcleaver wrote:
I thought it was particularly fun how there's tests for different hero types--like the "save the noble" test. Usually I hate stuff that seems video gamey, but those rules were just really fun. I don't know if I'd use them for my regular game, but I'd certainly get a kick out of it once in a while.

The "save the noble" test and such are written like that so that the DM can present it however he thinks would be best. I agree, this campaigns aren't something that I run regularly, they usually end up just being a one-shot session. Though this particular campaign, I hope, will run long than just the one session.

Grimcleaver wrote:
I guess my big advice would be to let things unfold organically. Keep the standard there--but one barfight does not the barbarian make. Then again, I wonder what the cultural component of classes is in your games? Does your character have to have certain backstory to explain being a barbarian for instance--or are they just primarily guys who get into barfights a lot. That's an interesting question. Frankly I could do with the base classes having less cultural baggage--that's more something that works better for me with prestige classes.

True, I tried to keep the test as "generalized" as possible. Yet I also needed a balanced standard, so the players aren't asking when do I get to become a class. Think of these more like a Role-Playing Prerequisite.

As far as the bar fight goes, I intended it to be the clash of the "uncivilized" with the "civilized." My cities and towns typically don't have bar fights especially if they are mostly "lawful" npcs. In the more "chaotic" societies bar fights, and fights in general become more prevalent, the the npcs, don't think of them as fights. Rather more like play or fun.

Also I plan on making it hard on the character that wishes to do this in a well more "civilized" city or town. Note that I stated they only need to survive not win.


Fake Healer wrote:

You spelled "rogue" wrong....

Looks interesting but you kinda stereotyped rogues into being thieves. Sometimes they are just acrobats with wild tumbling and jumping abilities and no real ability to sneak, or the ability to find and remove traps but no appreciable social skill. The other classes seem to suffer from shoe-horned stereotyping also and some of the tests seem to run counter-intuitive of certain alignments like the Barfight test... I don't really picture a "good" PC wanting to go into a bar and beat-up 5 poor peasants.
Just some impressions I had.

FH

I toned down the "thievy" tests for the Rogue and corrected the spelling thanks for mentioning this.

Here is the updated entry:
Rogue - Find the rogues guild. (pass one Gather Information check DC 15.) Present two different skills to the rogues guild leader and impress him (two skills of your choice other than Concentration, Handle Animal, Knowledge (any other than local,) Speak Language (note that you really couldn't make a check against this anyway,) Spellcraft, and Survival check DC 15.) Display that you can hit the twelve strike points (twelve hits at a enemy AC of 12.)

Any suggestions on fixing the shoe-horned stereotyping, any particular think that jumps out at you?

As for the bar fight thing, starting a bar fight isn't an evil thing depending on the reasons. However it is a very unlawful thing to do! Barbarians tend to not be very lawful, and if they were to start a fight way not in the very place there class seems to be built on... (I hope you guys get that crappy joke, it very Piers Anthony-ish.)

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Lost Omens Campaign Setting / General Discussion / My first non-Paizo written Golarion campaign (w / zero level rules) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.