Resubmission?


RPG Superstar™ 2008 General Discussion

Owner - House of Books and Games LLC , Marathon Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 7

I've already got a whole theme thought out for the contest, should I make it that far, but a friend of mine pointed out that I'm going to be immediately shot down because one of the spells it's based off of is not in the d20 OGL list.

Is it possible to rework it to be identical but use limited wish instead? Or do I just have to take my lumps and go home?

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2009, RPG Superstar Judgernaut

gbonehead wrote:

I've already got a whole theme thought out for the contest, should I make it that far, but a friend of mine pointed out that I'm going to be immediately shot down because one of the spells it's based off of is not in the d20 OGL list.

Is it possible to rework it to be identical but use limited wish instead? Or do I just have to take my lumps and go home?

If it's not OGL, I'd be surprised if it isn't shot down. And going the limited wish route seems a bit weak. Is there no other OGL spell that comes close to duplicating or contributing to the type of effect your item would produce?

My two-cents,
--Neil

Owner - House of Books and Games LLC , Marathon Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 7

Sure, other spells could easily be used, but that's not my real question.

Given ClarkPeterson's answers to a lot of other people, it sounds like the moderators are being pretty hard-nosed about submissions, so I'm guessing I'm pretty much out of luck.

I guess my gripe is that there's no process in place for updates to a submitted item, given that it was all done online.

Yes, I do understand the whole "those are the rules, didn't you read them" thing .. I have friends who are editors and it's quite a nightmare sometimes for them.

But given that so much is going to be determined by so little in the first round, it would be nice to feel like people had more of an even chance versus "oh crap .. a typo .. I'm hosed!" It feels very rules lawyerish to me :(


gbonehead wrote:

Sure, other spells could easily be used, but that's not my real question.

Given ClarkPeterson's answers to a lot of other people, it sounds like the moderators are being pretty hard-nosed about submissions, so I'm guessing I'm pretty much out of luck.

I guess my gripe is that there's no process in place for updates to a submitted item, given that it was all done online.

Yes, I do understand the whole "those are the rules, didn't you read them" thing .. I have friends who are editors and it's quite a nightmare sometimes for them.

But given that so much is going to be determined by so little in the first round, it would be nice to feel like people had more of an even chance versus "oh crap .. a typo .. I'm hosed!" It feels very rules lawyerish to me :(

That's the nature of the writing biz. Wait until you're certain, then send. It's the same for queries, abstracts, and contest submissions.

I think you really have to keep in mind that while this is an open contest, the end goal is to find someone of professional talent and discipline.

I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but I'm not sure there's a more polite way to put it.

Owner - House of Books and Games LLC , Marathon Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 7

Absolutely, that's the nature of the business.

But this isn't quite that - this is a heavily promoted contest that at first blush appears to be quite fun, but upon closer inspection seems prepared to dash the hopes and dreams of those involved.

Wait .. you're right ... it IS just like the writing business :)

Sovereign Court Contributor

Don't kid yourself. This is more brutal than the writing business. A lot of talented people who would never pitch an article to dungeon will enter this contest. And with Dungeon submissions, they could accept more than one final entry. Honestly, you probably have a better shot at getting published in the DI than you have of winning this contest.


Rambling Scribe wrote:
Don't kid yourself. This is more brutal than the writing business. A lot of talented people who would never pitch an article to dungeon will enter this contest. And with Dungeon submissions, they could accept more than one final entry. Honestly, you probably have a better shot at getting published in the DI than you have of winning this contest.

Oh, you definitely have a better shot at Dungeon or Dragon publication than winning this contest.

Why I expect that there are more than a few occassional writers from those lists entering.

Community / Forums / Archive / Paizo / RPG Superstar™ / Previous Contests / RPG Superstar™ 2008 / General Discussion / Resubmission? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion
Losing items